Located on the Hwy between Nebo & Pittsfield
Photo by Billie Browning
Independence Christian Church was organized May 8, 1858, in the log school house at Independence, by Elders James Burbridge, Robert Nicholson and Andrew Main, with the following 26 members: Robert Nicholson and wife, Andrew Main, Ephraim Nott and wife , Geo. W. Williams and wife , Barnett Collins and wife , James Collins , John Nicholson and wife , Cornellius Nicholson and wife , Mary Burbridge , Thomas Burbridge , Permelia Williams , francis Scott and wife , George E Ward , David Collins , Lydia Collins , Cynthia Burbridge , Emily Gunn , Joseph Troutner , Polly Burbridge
The first Elders were Robert Nicholson, Andrew Main and Joseph Troutner. Elder James Burbridge was the first Pastor.
Source: [1880 Pike Co. History, this info under Hardin Township]