History of Pike County - Charles M. Chapman 1880
This lively little business village was founded in 1837 by Peter H. Lucas, and named by him after the postoffice which had been established at this point some years previous. Soon after Henry Neeley added to the town plat what is known as Neeley's addition, and consists of all that part of town north of Main street. Detroit contains 2 general stores, 1 drug store, 2 blacksmith shops, 1 wagon manufactory, 1 shoemaker's shop, a millinery store, and a broom factory. Three physicians reside in the place. There are in the town 3 church edifices and 4 church organizations. The citizens have erected a fine two-story brick school-house and employ two teachers.