This is the smallest township in the county and was the first one settled. In 1817 a Canadian Frenchman by the name of Teboe, located on section 33 in this township. He was the first resident of Pike County, as mentioned in the first chapter in this book. Mr. Teboe's residence, which was on the banks of the Illinois River, was the favorite resort of hunters and trappers. He was killed at Milton in the year 1844, Garrett Van Deusen was the next settler.
He opened a ferry across the Illinois, which is still carried on at Valley City, near Griggsville landing, and is known as Philips Ferry. Mr. Van Deusen sold his claim to Mr. Nimrod Phillips, many of whose descendants are still residents of Pike County.
The early settlers were alive to the importance of educating their children and anxiously desired to have the proper facilities, or as good as they could afford, to carry on this great work. Accordingly the citizens met on section 19, near Flint creek, in 1846, for the purpose of inaugurating or organizing for school purpose. There being no houses in the vicinity their deliberations were carried on upon a log in the wild forest. Among those present at this meeting were Josiah Wade, Wm. Thackwray, James Crawford, Richard Sweeting, James L. Thompson, James G. and David Pyle, E. A. F. Allen, Francis Wade, J. Husband and Wm. Turnbull.
Peter Kargies presided over the deliberations of this body. The first school in the township was taught in the winter of 1845 - 46 by Wm. Turnbull, James G. and David Pyle, and James L. Thompson, who gave their services without any compensation. The school was held in an old log house bought and paid for by a few of the citizens.
The first and only church ever built in the township was erected at Griggsville landing in 1871, it is known as Union Church, but the M. E. society is the only one having an organization at this place. We were unable to obtain its history definitely, as we failed to fine the records.
Flint Township was named from a stream, which runs through it called Flint Creek. The name is very appropriate, as the bluffs of the rocks, in the bluffs on Flint, are found a variety of fossils whose formation would puzzle the most skillful geologist. They are mostly of the crinoid family. Mr. Wallace, who has a very fine collection and many relics of the Indian days, gave us much information on the point. Mr. N.A. Woodson, of Griggsville, also showed us a very fine and rare collection of fossils, which he has obtained by many days of hard labor on the bluffs and in the rocks of Flint Township.
The township is divided into three school districts, and contains three school houses, known as North, Middle and South Flint.
To a stranger Flint Township resents at first sight, as he approaches from the east, a rugged and desolate appearance; and one would suppose that an ignorant and rather indolent class of people dwell here; but such is far from being the case. We were not a little astonished at the intelligence and enterprise of its noble hearted citizens. Although the surface of Flint Township is rough and broken, it is a fine locality for growing and feeding stock.
Flint Magnesia Springs - In the south-eastern portion of Flint Township, on the land, or rather rock, of Wm. Reynolds, there is a living spring of magnesia water flowing from a crevice in the rock. And empties into the Big Blue River. It would require a volume as large as this to describe fully all the wonders of nature found in Flint Township.
Valley City - This little village, and the only one in Flint township, was founded at Phillips ferry by Wallace Parker in the year 1877. The post office at Griggsville Landing, and another established at the new town, taking the name of Valley City. The town contains one store and post office. Valley city Christian Temperance Union- This society was established in the spring of 1879 on the Murphy plan, and has thus far been very successful. In the fall of the same year the society, by the aid of the citizens of the township, erected a hall 28 by 40 feet in size with 16 foot story, and finished in first class style, at a cost of $1,000. The ground upon which the hall was erected, which is valued at $100, was donated by Wallace Parker.