Genealogy Trails - Pike County, Illinois
Volunteers Dedicated to Free Genealogy
Real Data - Always Free & Always Updating!
Photo of Kinderhook Post Office
Contributed by Gene Maddox
This township lies directly west of Barry and north of Pleasant Vale, and consists largely of Mississippi bottom land, which is the most fertile land in Illinois. The first settlers of this township were David Cole, Bird Brewer, Mr. Lyle, Amasa Shinn, Mr. McCraney, James Hull, Charles Smith, Charles and James Stratton, C. Devoll, Thomas Orr and others. Mr. McCraney made improvements in the center of the township on the creek which has since borne his name. Great credit is due these pioneers for their untiring efforts in settling and improving this country. Indians were numerous here then, and the wild animals roamed at will over this then wild country. The settlers had to go to Bear creek, above Quincy, to have their milling done. There was a corn-mill run by oxen on Hadley creek two miles above Kinderhook, owned by W. M. Blair, which proved a great convenience. These early pilgrims first lived in log cabins, with stick chimneys, puncheon floors, clapboard doors fastened together by wooden pins, and with only a single four light window. Mr. Thomas Hull first lived in a house with no window at all. The family would build a large fire and leave the door open. On one occasion the Indians came to the house of Mr. Hull, when Mrs. Hull was alone, begging for something to eat. Mrs. H., however, could not understand them and would not let them into the house. They pointed to some pumpkins, signifying their desire to have some of them. Of these she willingly gave them as many as they could carry.
Mr. Orr tells us that he has killed many a deer and wolf in his neighborhood. He saw at one time as many as seven deer in one herd. The wolves were very .troublesome and would frequently run the sheep to the house during the day time; and at night, Mr. Orr states, they had to corral the sheep at one end of the house.
In the pioneer days boys very frequently met with encounters before which the modem boy would quail. In a very early day Wm. J. Talbert, of this township, and his brother Basil were sent some distance from homo on an errand. As usual, they took their dog and gun (for these were necessary companions in those days), and started on their journey through the wild country. When near the Sny, in the Mississippi valley, they encountered a huge buck, with immense antlers; and although a boy, William could not resist the temptation of bringing down such fine game. He shot him, but succeeded only in breaking one of his legs. Lest the deer should hobble off beyond reach and be lost, he immediately rushed forward and caught him by the horns. His faithful dog soon came to his assistance and laid hold of one of the deer's ears. In this way all three tussled around and around for some time, neither being able to gain much advantage. At last William took out his old knife, which had no back spring, and attempted to cut the deer's throat, using his fingers as a spring to support the blade. In this attempt, however, he failed. He then opened the little blade, plunged it into the deer and it broke off. He again returned to the use of the big blade, using his fingers for a back spring, as before. All this time the deer kept tussling and bleeding, while the faithful dog kept tugging away at his ear. Basil stood a few rods away, calling with all his might to his brother to come away, fearful that the deer would kill him. William soon got astride the deer's shoulders and faithfully jabbed away with his old, backless knife, and, with the assistance of the dog, he finally succeeded in killing the deer. But this was not all. it they left their game there the wolves would soon devour it, and it was too heavy for them to carry; and so the ingenuity often manifested in pioneer times, and which would have been commendable in older heads, was manifested by these young brothers in order to save the deer. They bent a Bapling, upon which they hung the deer, and when straightened it lifted the deer some distance from the ground. Then William hung his vest up by it, which had the desired effect of keeping all animals from it, and notifying the hunters that it was the game of another party.
TOWN of KINDERHOOK
The town of Kinderhook was founded in 1836 by Chester Churchill and Bridge Whitten. The first settler in the town was Peter Harper. The first store was kept by Mr. Churchill. The village now contains several stores, blacksmith shops, a flour mill, and other industries. It also has a graded school and two church edifices located here. Many of the early pioneers of Kinderhook have passed away, and it is with difficulty that its earlier history is obtained. We acknowledge our indebtedness to Samuel Clark and others for valuable information received from this neighborhood.
Kinderhook Exchange Mills:This establishment was erected in 1871 by Blain & Steers, who operated it for about four years. It then fell into the hands of Elijah McAtee and Dr. Penick. This firm sold out in 1877 to E. B. Hyde and C. C. Colvin, who operated it about two years, when they Bold it to J. C. Colvin, who a few months later took Win. Fantz as a partner. They run four sets of burrs, and do a large business. They make an excellent quality of flour, which meets with a ready sale in the New York markets.
Kinderhook Public Schools: The high-school department of the Kinderhook schools is in an excellent running order under the management of Prof. Elkanal Sellers, who conducts the school on the latest Normal plan. The recitations of the B. class in geography are given in writing by the entire class upon the blackboard. This work is examined the following morning and criticised, the pupils generally manifesting great interest in their studies. The school building is a large two-story brick structure, and contains three rooms.
Kinderhook Baptist Church: This society was organized Jan. 28, 1859, at the house of David Devol, by Elder N. Kinne. Mr. Kinne was chosen Chairman, and Mr. Devol Clerk, of this meeting. He was then elected permanent Clerk, and shortly afterward S. Sprague and S. B. Gaines were chosen Deacons. Rev. Wm. Cleveland was called as their first Pastor. The congregation erected a house of worship in 1864, which was dedicated in October, 1865, by Elder N. Kinne. The present membership is 200. The Church has sustained a Sunday-school ever since it was organized.
Akers M. E. Church: This Church was organized over 40 years ago, and although we worked assiduously to obtain its history, as well as that of the other M. E. Church, we fail to receive very much satisfactory information. The present church edifice of the Akers Society, which was the second one erected, was built in 1868 - 9. It is constructed of brick, and cost about $5,500.
James B. Allen, druggist, was born in South Carolina, March 18, 1824, and is a son of Josiah Alien, deceased. He came to Pike county in 1850, and pursued the mason's trade until 1874, when he engaged in his present business. He is engaged in general merchandising and carries a stock of $4,000, consisting of a full line of drugs, groceries, boots and shoes, queensware, and occupies a two story brick block, which he erected in 1876 at a cost of about $4,000. Mr. Allen did the mason work on the Barry high school building. In 1852 he married Sarah, daughter of the late Judge Alfred Grubb, of this county. Mrs. Allen was born in Kentucky, April 2, 1828. Mr. and Mrs. Allen have 5 children, Alfred, Mary E., Edward C, Bessie and Fannie.
Alexander Anderson was born in Reading, Berks county, Pa., and is a son of Edward Anderson, deceased, who came to this county in 1845. Alex, came with his father and engaged with him in the mercantile business in Kinderhook until the death of the latter, which occurred in 1848. Mr. Anderson then engaged in farming until 1878; then formed a partnership with Frank Estergren, but in 1879 the firm dissolved, and Mr. A. went into business for himself. He now carries a general stock of hardware, furniture, etc., and also has a harness shop attached and does a good business. In 1847 he married Anice Hull, daughter of James Hull, deceased, an early pioneer of this county. Mr. and Mrs. Anderson have had 9 children, of whom 6 are living, Elizabeth, Edward, Marks, James, Charles and Alexander.
Clement F. Aylesworth was born in New York in 1848, lived there until he was 5 years old, then moved with his parents to Pike county, 111., and remained there until 1861; then moved to Wisconsin and remained there until 1870, then returned to this county. Jan. 26, 1871, he married Sarah Z. Dutton of this county. Their 2 children are Elbert and Myrtie; they are both members of the M. E. Church. Ho is engaged in butchering, also carries on the confectionery business. He owns a dwelling house and two lots in Kinderhook, and is an enterprising, industrious business man and a good citizen. In politics he is a Republican.
Susan Benson was born in Butler county, Ohio., in 1823, and lived there until she was 15 years of age, when she moved with her parents to this county. At the age of 21 she married Macom Colman, and they had 4 children, James Thomas, John Macom, George and Catharine. After the death of Mr. Colman Mrs. C. married Thomas Benson and they had 2 children, Lydia Margaret and Linosa Lee. Mrs. Benson is a member of the Baptist Church and politically is a Democrat. She owns 61 acres of land and follows farming.
Edmund T. Bridge was born in Augusta county, Va., Dec, 15, 1837. His father left Augusta county and moved to Lewis county in 1847, and in 1853 moved to Fayette county, Ohio, and after living there one year, moved to Hancock county IL, and when there enlisted in the 119th Reg. of IL Vol., ane remained until Aug., 1865, and since then has been living in this tp. Feb. 14, 1867, he married Mary A. Sweet, and their children are 2 boys and 1 girl. Himself and wife are members of the Baptist Church. Mr. B. followed farming until 1872, and since then has been engaged in merchandising at Hull's Station, and is an enterprising business man, and in politics is a Republican. He owns 50 acres of land, three houses and three lots, and a dry-goods store.
Mrs. Mary Chase, farmer, sections 33 and 36; was born in Pennsylvania in 1821, and lived with her parents until she was 10 years old. They moved to Ohio and remained there until 1844, then to Indiana, and lived there 2 years, then came to this county, where she was married Nov. 20, 1841, to Alonzo Chase. Their children were, Daniel, William Lanson, Samantha, Sarah Frances, Alice Melvina and Isadora. She owns 134 acres of land, and is a Democrat.
A. S. Churchill came to this county in 1833, when but 19 years of age. He traveled the entire distance from Batavia in a one-horse buggy in one mouth and 15 days. Arrived in this tp. the 15th of Oct., and joined his father and brother, who had preceded him. In the spring of 1834 he returned to New York and, Oct. 20, 1835, married Mary A. Hunn, daughter of Samuel Hunn, deceased. Mr. C. is a native of Hartford, Conn., and was born March 8,1814. They have had 7 children, 4 of whom are living, James A., Wm. E., Hiram S. and Nancy M. They removed here in 1836, and Mr. C. kept hotel until the railroads were built. When he arrived in this tp. he had $250, a team, a wife and one child. Now he is comfortably situated and has given his children each a large farm. The first land he bought here he secured by giving a cloth coat for his claim on the land. He went to Whipple's mill for flour, a distance of 23 miles.
William E. Churchill was born May 2, 1847, in Barry tp., and is a son of the preceding; (A.S. Churchill). He resides on sec. 9, this tp., and is engaged in farming and stock raising. He was married March 26, 1868, to Mary Carr, daughter of Solomon Carr, deceased, and they have 4 children, Charles E., Ora D., Roy S. and Edward C.
Samuel Clark is a native of Harrison county, Va., and was born Sept. 23, 1826, and is a son of Rev. Samuel Clark, deceased, who removed to this county with his family in 1829. Mr. Clark was raised on a farm and educated in a common school. In 1861, he was married to Emma Shinn, daughter of Isaiah Shinn, deceased, who came to this State in 1867. Mrs. Clark was born Sept. 8, 1831, in Harrison county, Va. They have had 7 children, of whom 6 are living, Henrietta A., Frances V., Sabra E., Minnie, Cyrus and Florence N. Mr. Clark resides on sec. 3, this tp., and is engaged in farming and stock raising.
Alexander Clutch - farmer, sec. 33, was born in Warren county, Ohio., in 1833, and lived there until he was 13 years of age, then lived with them until he was 21 years old; he then went to Macon county and remained 2 years, following farming, then to this State, again locating in McLean county for 14 years; then returned to Pike county and married Christina Fine, who had been previously married, and had one child named Wm. Isaac. Mrs. Clutch died and Mr. C. married Mrs. Elizabeth Halstead, who had 7 children, Henry R. and Wm. F. Wilson, Drusilla J., Edith M. and Susan Edna. Her children by her first husband were Rachel, Ellen, Lomira and Emma. By his first wife Mr. Clutch had 4 children, Thomas Marion, Edward Francis, Anna and Clarissa. He and his wife are Baptists, and politically he is a Democrat. His farm comprises 70 acres.
John Clutch was born March 28, 1839, in Warren county, Ohio, and is a son of David P. and Martha Clutch, deceased, who brought their family to this county in the spring of 1847, landing at Quincy on the 1st day of April. In 1852 he was married to Alvira, daughter of Sylvaims Baker, deceased, one of the pioneers of this county. Mr. and Mrs. Clutch have had 8 children, of whom 6 are living, Warren, Mary E.. John, Sarah. Ellen and Everett. Mr. 0. engaged in farming until 1876, when he entered into the mercantile business in Kinderhook. He carries a stock of $5,000, consisting of dry goods, hats and caps, boots and shoes, groceries, queensware, and everything usually kept in a first class mixed store. He also deals in agricultural implements. He still owns a farm, and still gives some attention to tanning.
Samuel Colgrove was born in Steuben county, N. Y., June 24, 1822, and is a son of Andrew and Elizabeth (Smith) Colgrove, of the same county. Mrs. C. died in 1871. Samuel was reared on a farm and had but limited opportunities for an education. In 1843 he came West, traveling through Iowa, Minnesota and Northern Illinois; went to Lake Superior during the silver excitement in 1845; engaged in sawing and rafting lumber to St. Louis for 4 years; traveled through Indiana, Ohio and Michigan to some extent. He returned to New York in 1849, where he remained until 1866, except what time he was in the war. Aug. 2, 1851, he married Mary P. Marlatt, and moved to Huron county, O.; in 1867 came to Adams county, IL and 3 years afterward he came into this county, where he resides on sec. 26, farming and raising stock. He has had 7 children, Elizabeth M., Olive A., Emily L., Samuel A., Ira M., George D. and Lillie M. Mr. C. served in Co. H, 86th N. Y. Inf., and hence was in the army of the Potomac. He participated in the second battle of Bull Run; became disabled in the service, and was discharged Nov. 6, 1862.
J. C. Colvin was born in Hartford county, Conn., Oct. 19, 1823, a son of Timothy Colvin, dec.; in 1854 he came and settled in this tp.; the next year he returned to Connecticut and married Miss Ann M. Andrews, and returned to his home here. Of his 5 children Flora, Charlotte and Joseph A. are living. After fanning for 9 years Mr. Colvin has followed merchandising, trading, milling, etc. He still owns a farm.
John Cook, farmer, sec. 24, owning 280 acres of land in this tp., was born in Chatham county, N. C, July 5, 1800; at the age of 7 years he came with his parents to Davidson county, Tenn., where in about 6 months his father died; his mother then moved to Robinson county until he was 17 years old, when they moved to Trigg county, Ky., and there, March 20, 1828, he married Miss Martha Kennedy; in 1830 he arrived in Pike county. His children are John K., Mary E., Clarinda Ann and Milly Jane. Mr. C. is a Democrat.
W. H. Davison was born in Wales in 1842; in 1846 the family emigrated to Pittsburg, Pa., in 1849 to Louisville, Ky., in 1851 to Naples, 111.; he served 18 months in the 8th Reg. I. V. I., and was honorably discharged; then followed steam-boating for 6 years; and for the last 6 years he has been in Pike county conducting a hotel and restaurant. At Naples he was a farmer. May 4, 1868, he married Miss Mary E. Smith, and they have one child, Annie E., aged 11. Mr. D. is a Baptist and his wife a Methodist. In politics Mr. D. is a Democrat. He owns 2 houses and lots at Hull's Station.
Moses Decker was born in Knox county, Ind., Dec. 16, 1806, son of Moses Decker, who was born in 1780 in Washington county. Pa., and was brought by his parents to the Northwestern Territory in 1785; he was raised in the fort at Vincennes, and when large enough to carry a gun he went into the war against the Indians; he died in 1864. Moses, jr. was raised on a farm in pioneer style; education, likewise, being in the usual old fashioned log school house, with a greased deer-skin for a window, and a lire place for heating the room. In 1827 he married Melinda, daughter of Tarleton Boren, dec. In 1835 they came to this county, settling on sec. 1, this tp., where he still resides, a farmer and stock-raiser. Of his 11 children these 9 are living: Hannah, Martha, Melinda, Christina, Ezra, Asher, Amry, Margaret and Emery. Mrs. D. died May 25, 1877, an honored member of society.
David Devol, farmer and stock-raiser; was born in Washington county, O., March 20, 1826, the son of Daniel Devol, dec., who was among the first born in that county. Mr. D. came to Illinois in 1854, settling in this tp., where he still resides. He has married twice, and is the father of 8 children. He is a descendant of Daniel Devol, who was one of four brothers that emigrated to America from England about 1760. Their names were Stephen, Daniel, Jonathan and Gilbert.
Frank Entergren, dealer in stoves and tin ware, was born in Sweden Nov. 4, 1844; when 20 years of age he emigrated to America; worked at common labor a few months at Fall Brook, Pa.; then was in Minnesota four years in the tin business; then followed the same business one year in Wisconsin; then at Hannibal, Mo., 3 months; then Kinderhook, where he worked as journeyman for 3 or 4 years, then commenced business for himself. In 1874 he married Amanda McPherson. and they have 2 children, Joseph Timothy and Nellie Josephine. He and wife are Baptists, and he is a staunch Democrat. Is the owner of his residence and business house and lots.
Thomas Fitzpatrick, hotel keeper at Kinderhook, was born in 1828, in Butler Co., O.; at the age of 9 years he moved with his parents to Pike county; they were farmers; at 21 he spent 13 months in California; then returned to Pike county and married Miss Emily Woolum, of this county,, and they have 6 children, Josephine, Laura Ann, Thomas, Charlie, Bartholomew and Eugene. He has been engaged in the hotel business for 16 years, and at other times he has followed farming. He owns his hotel, three other buildings and 1 1/4 acres of land. He is a Democrat, and he and his wife are Methodists.
Samuel B. Gaines was born in Otsego Co., N. Y., April 19,1821, his father. Ebenezer, was a native of Connecticut, a farmer, who died in 1825, and Mrs. G. soon moved to Hartford Co., Conn., where Sam'l B. was brought up; in 1842 he moved to Ohio, where he engaged in the clock business 7 year?, in 1844 he married in Huron Co., Margaret M. Twaddle; in 1847 they removed to this county, where in the following year Mrs. G. died; in 1849 Mr. G. married Mary A., daughter of Thomas Fitzpatrick, an early settler of this county, who died in 1850. Mr. and Mrs. Gaines have had 10 children, of whom 6 are living: Lorinda A., Mary E., Lydia A., Sylvester S., Edward X. and Minnie M. For the first 3 years in Illinois Mr. G. engaged in the clock business, and since that time he has followed farming and merchandising; he now carries a stock of $6,000, which consists of dry-goods, boots and shoes, groceries, notions, hats and caps, hardware, etc. He owns over 500 acres of valuable land in this county. He now (Feb.) has 270 acres of wheat sown.
A. A. Gose, farmer, sec. 14, owning 152 acres of land, was born in Kinderhook tp. June 24,1836, the son of John Gose, deceased, an their 5 children are living: Ada B., Harry L., Elbert and Ella Myrtle.
Charles B. Gose was born this tp. Sept. 4, 1837, where he has since resided; Oct. 20, 1863, he married Miss Cynthia J. Jones; their children are Ernest B., born Nov. 15, 1868, and Charles J., Dec. 16, 1871. He owns 145 acres of land and follows farming. He is Assessor of Kinderhook tp., a Democrat and a Good Templar. His wife is a Republican.
Eliza J. Gose was born in Russell Co., Va., Dec. 4, 1815; when 19 years of age she married John Gose and moved to this tp., since which time she has remained on her farm of 300 acres. Her maiden name was Eliza J. Bickley. She has 4 children, Abel A., Charles B., George C. and Frances. She is a Methodist.
Barna Hinds, farmer, sec. 25, was born in Brown Co., U., March 6, 1824, the son of James Hinds, of this tp.; was reared on a farm and educated in the common schools; removed with his parents to Montgomery Co., Mo., in 1843, and in the following year to this county. Dec. 81, 1849, he married Elizabeth Lomax, a daughter of Theophilns Lomax, deceased, who came to this county in 1848. Mr. and Mrs. Hinds have 3 children, James, John and Henry. James married Amanda Gladson and resides in this tp.; John married Helen Lane and also resides in this tp. Mr. Hinds has been a farmer since he was 23 years of age; ho owns 415 acres of valuable laud.
Charles Smith Hull, deceased, was born in this tp. Jan. 26, 1843, the son of Thos. Hull, deceased, who came to Southern Illinois in 1822, and to this county in 1829. Charles was raised on a farm and educated in the public school; June 4, 1868, he married Louisa, daughter of Nathan H. Davis, near Griggsville. Mr. Hull was a farmer and stock-miser, and resided on the old homestead until his death, which occurred Jan. 11, 1879, a zealous Methodist. Mr. and Mrs. Hull had 2 children, Mary A. and Sarah A. The Hull farm was one of the first farms settled and improved in this tp. Mrs. H. still resides there and carries on the farm.
David Hull, deceased; was born in Pickaway Co., O., Nov. 9, 1830, and emigrated to this State in 1836; Oct. 16, 1858, ho married Sarah Sperry, daughter of John and Catharine Sperry; the former died Oct. 3,1878, and the latter resides with her daughter at Hull's Station. Mr. and Mrs. Hull had 5 children, of whom 3 are living. Everett, Mary and Minnie. Mr. Hull was a prominent farmer and stock raiser in the Mississippi valley, and was the founder of Hull's Station, which was named for him. Ho died March 16,1875, a devoted Christian man, liberal, public spirited, etc. Two of his brothers, James and William,died in the late war. Jan. 17, 1878, Mrs. Hull married Stephen Whitaker, a native of New York, who came to this county with Bern. Brown in 1833. Mr. Whitaker's mother died when he was out a small boy, and he was brought up by Mr. and Mrs. Brown. He resides at Hull, engaged in farming. He followed broom making for about 20 years, with good success. We give Air. H.'s portrait in these pages.
David D. Hull, Jr., merchant, is a native of this county, born in Barry tp. Sept. 25, 1844, a son of Tate Hull. In his 18th year he shouldered a gun and fought for Uncle Sam in the late war, in Co. H, 99th Reg. I. V. I., for about two years, when his company was consolidated with Co. C. He was in the Vicksburg campaign, the battles of Champion Hills, Raymond, Fort Blakeley, Fort Spanish, Mobile and others. His two brothers, Thomas and Albert, also served in the war. In 1865 Mr. Hull married Sarah A., daughter of Granville Scott, deceased; and they have had 6 children, of whom 5 are living: Minnie A., Norton C, Everett, Wily and Hubert. As a merchant Mr. Hull carries a general line of goods.
J. N. Hull was born Jan. 9, 1836; the son of Thomas Hull, an early settler, and the first supervisor of this tp. J. N. owns 400 acres of valuable land, and has 260 acres in wheat at present. He is engaged in the grain business at Hull's Station, and has recently erected a grain elevator and agricultural warehouse, 24 by 56 feet. January, 1860, he married Miss Mary M. Sprague, daughter of Deacon Seaman Sprague, of Kinderhook tp., and they have had 6 children, of whom 3 are living: Loyal S., Jonnie B., and James L.
Marietta J. Johnson was born in Berkshire county, Mass., where she resided until 34 years of ago. She married George Snow in 1857, who lived but 3 years afterward; in 1870 she married Mr. L. Johnson, who lived 6 years. She is now a widow, and proprietor of a hotel at Hull's, where she has resided for 7 years. Her maiden name was Marietta B. Stutivant.
Charles E. Jones was born in Onondaga county, N. Y., Feb. 11, 1847, and is the son of Jeremiah Jones, of that State; he came to this county in 1869, and was assistant foreman on the Hannibal division of the Wabash railroad the same year. May 25, 1872, he married Miss Ahnira E. Steadman, daughter of Revilo B. Steadman, of Hull's. They have 3 children: Bertha A., Althea R. and Grace L. Mr. Jones now resides at Hull's, and is foreman on the C. B. & Q. R. R, which position he has held for 9 years.
James P. Journey was born in Adams county, III., April 10, 1847, a Bon of Joseph W.f deceased, an early settler in that county. Aug. 22, 1869, he married Nancy A. Wagy, and they reside on the old homestead, sec. 5, engaged in farming. His grandfather, Peter Journey, settled in Adams county prior to 1825; was a member of the first Board of County Commissioners of that county, and married the first couple that were married by license in that county. The license was written on brown paper, and the ceremony was solemnized July 26, 1825. Joseph W. Journey married Caroline Young, daughter of Austin and Margaret Young, Jan. 1, 1839, and of their 10 children but 5 survive: Peter, James, Andrew, Dora S. (now Mrs. Wm. Jollison) and Mary. The family removed to Pike county in 1853, where they resided until after his death, when in 1865 they returned to Adams county. Peter and James now reside in this county.
Charles H. Kenady, farmer, sec. 10, was born in this tp. Dec. 10, 1846, the son of Benj. Kenady, deceased, an early settler. April 22, 1870, he married Louisa Toner, daughter of Wm. Toner, of this tp., and their children are Mary and Charlie.
Jacob Lease was born in Hampshire county, Va., April 30,1813; was reared OK a farm; came to Illinois in 1650, locating in Adams county, and in 1855 came to this county, he is now living with his third wife, and is the father of 14 children; 12 of these are living: Mary E., Phoebe E., Joseph T., Sarah A , Susan F., Emery L., Win. H., Oliver B., U. S. Grant, Eva D., Dora and Cyrus. The 5 eldest are married. Joseph married Sophronia Kennedy.
Mifflin Dallas Liggett was born Dec. 27, 1845, in this county, and was engaged in farming until 1864, when he learned the blacksmith's trade, which he is still following in Kinderhook. In 1866 he married Miss Ellen Beard, of New York State, and their only child is George D., aged 8 years. Politically, Mr. L. is a Democrat, and he is also an Odd Fellow.
D. Lively, farmer, sec. 6, was born in Jefferson county, Ky., May 10, 1812; was a mechanic by trade; came to Missouri in 1837, and to this county in 1856.
Harrison McKee was born in Holmes county, O., April 5, 1837, Bon of John McKee, deceased, who brought his family to Pike county in the autumn of 1841. They traveled the entire distance of 800 miles and crossed but one railroad. There were 7 children, of whom 5 are living, Charles, Lois, Nancy (now Mrs. Bedwell) Allen and Harrison. Mrs. McKee is living on the old homestead, at the age of 06. Harrison follows farming in the summer time and teaches school in the winter. He has taught for 17 successive winters, a part of the time in Adams and Morgan counties, but mostly in Pike.
Samuel K. Morris was bora in Ross county, O., in 1836; moved to Pike county with his parents in 1851; from 1857 to 1860 traveled to California and through the West, when he returned to Pike county to work at his trade, blacksmithing. In May, 1861, he enlisted in the 16th III. Inf. Vol., and served with distinction for 3 years; in 1864 he married Lucinda F. Bolin, and their children are : Zella, Minnie B., America N. and Myrtle May. Mr. M. is a Greenbacker in politics. He is an auctioneer and blacksmith, and owns considerable city property.
James T. Murray, attorney, Kinderhook, was born in this county, April 19,1839, where he resided until 1862 ; followed milling 2 years in Minnesota, then the mercantile business in Quincy for a short time, and then commenced the study of law. In 1869 he removed to Lewis county. Mo., where he was admitted to practice; in 1872 he returned to this county, settling at Kinderhook, where he has since practiced his profession. Oct. 18, 1864, he married Belle Sisler, of La Grange, Mo., and the names of their children were Mary E. and Jennie K.; both of whom died in 1872. In politics Mr. M. claims to be a Socialist.
Milly Murray was born in Trigg county, Ky., in 1808; her maiden name was Milly Kennedy; she came to this county with her parents in 1830. In 1831 she married Eleazer Murray, who died in 1852, leaving 4 children: James T.. Rufus M., Mary Ann and Nancy Ellen. She lives on her farm of 100 acres: is 72 years old and in good health.
Elkanah W. Sellers, school teacher, was born in Barry tp., Sept. 27, 1857, son of David Sellers, of the same tp., who brought his family to this county in 1852. Mr. S. received a part of his education at the Christian University, Canton, Mo., and a part at Chaddock College at Quincy, and is the present principal of the Kinderhook schools.
ames W. Sperry, farmer and stock raiser, sec. 22, was born May 24, 1842, son of John Sperry, deceased. At the age of 19 he enlisted in Co. II, 73d Reg. O. V. I., and served 2 years and 3 months in the late war, being in the battles of Gettysburg, Chancellorsville, Lookout Mountain, etc. In November, 1867, he married Nancy L., daughter of Noah Corey, of Ross Co., O. Their children are : Cora, Johnnie N., Bessie and Otis O. He is now building a two-story frame house 32 by 54 feet, which will add to the beauty of the valley.
Charles C. Sprague, physician and surgeon, was born in Washington county, Ohio, Jan. 21% 1837; educated in Beverly College, Ohio, and is a graduate of Rush Medical College of Chicago; came to this county in 1860, taught a term of school in Payson, Adams Co., the following winter; at the same time studying medicine under Dr. M. M. Bane, of Quincy. He then enlisted in the war as Hospital Steward in Co. C, 50th I. V. I., serving 3 years, and was present at the battles of Port Donelson, Shifoh, Corinth, Resaca, etc., assisting in dressing the wounds of the soldiers. He began the practice of medicine in 1865, in Kinderhook, where he still remains, with a large practice. In 1864 he married Frances E., daughter of Mrs. Eliza J. Gose, of this tp. They are Baptists, and their two living children are Laura and Justin L.
Revilo B. Steadman, farmer, sec. 21, was born in Cortland county, N. Y., Nov. 14, 1816, son of Joshua and Fatha (Beach) Steadman, Dec 24, 1846, in Wilkes Barre, Luzerne Co., Pa., he married Maria A. Beisel, a native of that county, who was born Nov. 18, 1822. Four of their five children are living, Peter R., Almira E. (now Mrs. Charles E. Jones, of Hull), Hannah M. and Alfred B. Mr. S. came to Illinois in 1862, stopping in Barry 3 years, when he removed to Hull's. They are Baptists.
Rensellaer Sweet was born in Rensellaer county, N. Y., Feb. 22, 1827, and is a son of Ira Sweet, deceased, who brought his family to this county in 1847. Mr. Sweet was raised on a farm and received his education in the common schools of New York. After his arrival in this county, his educational advantages were very limited, the present free-school system not being in vogue then. He was married in 1848 to Rebecca Hull, daughter of the well known D. D. Hull. They have 5 children, of whom 4 are living : Mary A., Jane A., Roscoe A. and Delia M. The one deceased was Eddie E. Mr. S. resides in Hull, and is engaged in general farming.
Thomas O. Talbert, farmer, sec. 10, was born at Kaskaskia, IL., Dec. 14, 1829, son of Col. James Talbert, a pioneer of this county. April 8, 1855, he married Elizabeth C, daughter of Win. Crump, deceased, also an early settler of this county.
William J. Talbert, farmer, sec. 36, was born in Washington county, Va., July 12, 1818, son of James Talbert, deceased, who brought his family to the American Bottom, on Kaskaskia river, in 1829, within a mile of the house of Gov. Bond. After spending one year in Missouri he came back to Illinois in 1831, and the same year removed with his family to Atlas, then the county-seat, where he kept a hotel for a year; he then removed near New Canton, where he resided until 1863, when he retired and resided in Barry until his death, which occurred in 1865. Wm. J., being a pioneer, underwent the usual privations of early times; he received his school education in an old log school-house, with slab benches, the window extending the entire length of the building, it being simply the absence of a log; the fire-place occupied nearly the entire end of the room; the back-logs were drawn in by a horse, there being a door on each side of the room near the fireplace, the floor consisted of mother earth. Nov. 24, 1844, he married Elizabeth, daughter of Lewis Hull, deceased, and they have had 9 children, of whom 6 are living: Thomas N., Martha E., Mary I., Charley L., Hattie and Ettie T. Mr. Talbert was the second tanner in Pike county, having run a tannery near New Canton for several years. He was jailor while in Atlas, and witnessed the whipping of a hog thief by Sheriff Col. Seeley.
Isaac N. Thompson, farmer, sec. 13, was born in Hampshire county, Va., Feb. 17, 1830, son of Elisha Thompson, deceased; in 1854 he removed to Missouri, where he engaged in farming and merchandising; after 10 years he came to this county; in 1852 he married Nancy A. Sperry, in Columbus, O. They had one child, Wm. A., now dead. In 1858 Mrs. T. died, and in 1859 Mr. T. married Elizabeth Edgar. Of their children 7 are living. Fannie M., John H., Louisa, Jennie, Willy, M., Herzelius and Rufus. The name of the deceased was Albert L. (Buried at Kinderhook Cemetery, Pike Co IL)
J. A. Walch is a native of Van Wert county, O., where he was born Aug. 19, 1846, and is a son of J. A. Walch, deceased; he came to Illinois with his mother and step father in 1858, locating in Stark county, and to Pike in 1863. March 18,1869, he married Charlotte Hull, and of their 4 children these 3 are living: Frank, Roy and Charley. Mr. W. owns a half interest in a steam thresher, corn sheller and wood saw, which keeps him continually employed.
Robert D. Warinner, jeweler, was born in Casey county, Ky., Sept. 16, 1819; in 1837 his parents moved with him to Ray county, Mo.; followed farming until he was 24 years old, when he married Mary Blane, of Kentucky, and in 1847 they moved to Pike county, where he engaged in the storing and shipping business at Cincinnati Landing for 2 years; then clerked in a dry goods store in New Canton for 2 years; then followed merchandising for himself in Newburg 3 years; then back to New Canton in the same business until 1859; then sold out and returned to Missouri, where he sold goods 2 years, when the rebellion broke out and he was robbed by guerrillas and barely escaped with his life; in 1862 ho returned to Pike county and engaged in the sowing-machine business for 6 mouths; in 1863 went to Barry, where he remained until 1876; engaged in the jewelry business; he then came to Kinderhook, where he continues in that line of work, and owns a residence and a store. In religion he is a "Christadelphian," and in politics a Republican.
Wilson Brothers, These enterprising tanners are located on Bee. 27 this tp., and are the sons of John A. Wilson, deceased, who brought his family from Kane county, 111., to this county in 1864. Alexander D. was born Jan. 29, 1850, and William was born Oct. 3, 1854. They are bachelors and prospering in business. Their household is presided over by their sister Eliza, who was born Feb. 22, 1860, in Kane county, IL.
History of Pike County, Illinois By Chapman, Chas. C., & Co, Chas. C. Chapman & Co.. 1880
All data on this website is © Copyright
by Genealogy Trails with full rights reserved for original submitters.