Return to Color of Pike Index
The Pike County Unit of the State Council of Defense was organized soon after America entered the World War. The Board consisted of Wm. Elza Williams, chairman, and Judge Harry Higbee, Judge Edward Doocy, R. T. Hicks and M. D. King, members. An Executive Committee was organized, with the chairmen of the respective war activity committees as members. Every branch of the service was complete in its detail and organization, and constituted one of the most effective county organizations in the State. The county chairman of the State Council of Defense received many commendatory communications and letters of approval from the chairman of the State Council of Defense as to the promptness and efficiency of all war committees co-operating with and organized under the Council of Defense. This organization was in a measure advisory over all other war activities in the county, and is entitled to much of the credit for the success of every war undertaking. Pike County's record in the war is a source of great pride. More than one thousand of our boys met the requirements of the selective draft and were enrolled in the army, and a considerable portion of them went overseas. Every demand for money, whether it consisted of the sale of Liberty Bonds or War Savings Stamps, or drives to raise funds for the Red Cross, Y. M. C. A., Salvation Army, Knights of Columbus, and other organizations constituting a part of the United War Work Campaign, was promptly met by our citizens, and in every instance Pike County went over the top. There were few instances of disloyalty brought to the attention of the Council, and in not more than three cases did the Council have to admonish any citizen of the county. There was practical unanimity among our people, and a spirit of patriotism and sacrifice was always manifest. Truly, it is a record of which the present and future generations may be proud.
WM. ELZA WILLIAMS
"I think the whole country has appreciated the way in -which women have risen to this great occasion. They have not only done what they have been asked to do, and done it with ardor and efficiency, but they have shown a power to organize for doing things on their own initiative, which is quite a different thing and a very much more difficult thing. I think the whole country has admired, the spirit and the capacity and devotion of the women of the United States. It goes without saying that the country depends upon women for a large part of the inspiration of its life. That is obvious. But it is now depending upon the women also for suggestions of service, which have been rendered in abundance and with the distinction of originality.
WHAT AMERICAN WOMEN HAVE DONE FOR
THE LIBERTY LOAN
By WILLIAM G. McAnoo
Secretary of the Treasury
"The women of America have demonstrated extraordinary power and capacity in connection with the financial operations of the Government. Their work has been of the highest value. "The National Women's Liberty Loan Committee has brought into existence an organization of women throughout the country which is one of the most important factors in the success of Liberty Loans.
"I am deeply grateful for the splendid support American women have given to the Treasury and to all war activities. The increasing demands of the war made their work more and more important. Their continued enthusiastic and spirited co-operation strengthens my confidence in the success of the Treasury's future financial undertakings.
"Women have proven themselves worthy of equal partnership with men in all the affairs of Government. I earnestly hope that the remaining opposition to the grant of equal suffrage to them will rapidly crumble in the light of the notable things done by American women in this great war for liberty and human rights.
"W. G. McADoo."
At the beginning of the greatest of world-wide wars the Council of National Defense was created by an Act of Congress, for the purpose of dealing with internal problems arising out of war conditions.
The Woman's Committee was organized as a part of the Council of National Defense, and Dr. Anna Howard Shaw was appointed its chairman by President Wilson and commissioned to "Keep the Home Fires Burning." Under the efficient direction of Dr. Shaw and her national committee every State in the Union was organized as a division, and every county as a unit of the C. N. D.
Mrs. J. D. Hess was appointed chairman of the Pike County Unit by Mrs. Joseph T. Brown, State chairman, and Mrs. Jessie Stafford, organization chairman of the Illinois Division. Mrs. Hess was authorized to organize the county by townships and school districts, and the rapidity with which this organization was accomplished proved the intense loyalty of our Pike County women.
This county has been "cited" by the State officers of the Woman's Committee for being one of the three best organized counties of the State, of which fact the members of this unit are justly proud.
We were told to prepare for a long war - "it would last at least five years" was predicted by some of our greatest statesmen and the Woman's Committee of Pike County laid a splendid foundation for war work, and had organized committees in nearly every township. precinct and school district in the county. Because of this splendid organization we accomplished much and helped carry to success the many Government drives.
About seven thousand women registered for service. and the first task assigned us by the Government was to distribute, sign and urge others to sign, the pledge cards for the conservation of food during the period of the war. We carried the knowledge of substitutes into every community and importuned the conservation of food, fuel and clothing.
We bought and sold Liberty Bonds and War Savings Stamps, solicited for the adoption of many French orphans, and served unceasingly in the Red Cross work rooms for the orphans and needy of our Allied countries.
We planted war-gardens and worked in them as we never had worked before.
We weighed and measured babies, and now we hope, with the aid of Uncle Sam, that mothers will continue to weigh and measure babies until they have attained such perfection as that created in "His likeness and image."
The members of the Woman's Committee, C. N. D, were interested in public health questions, and at the general election in November, 1918, voted for, and influenced others to vote for, the establishment and maintenance of a tuberculosis sanitarium for this county.
We also bought and sold a great number of the little Red Cross Seals, to help promote the work of the Anti-Tuberculosis League.
"Community Sings." one of the departments of war work promoted by the C. N. D., created much interest throughout the county, and many "sings" were organized. These patriotic song services continued in many communities long after the signing of the armistice. and were a great source of enjoyment and inspiration to loyalty in every organized community.
The Pike County Unit had a part in the following Government drives : The Armenian Relief, United War Work, Refugee Clothing, Salvation Army, Liberty Loan and War Savings, Red Cross Membership and Victory Loan.
The women of the Woman's Committee of this unit are proud of the fact that the Government gave us a part in this limited service, and because of our unfailing loyalty continued the organization until the signing of the Peace Treaty. The chairmen of committees and departments received a certificate of honorable discharge, signed by our beloved leaders, Mrs. Joseph T. Bowen and Mrs. Frederick A. Dow of Chicago.
MRS. J. D. HESS, Chairman.
Clara (Rentchler) Hess was born in Jefferson County, Ill., Aug. 17, 1865. She is the daughter of John and Lucy (Adams) Rentchler. Graduated from Mt Vernon (Ill.) High School, and Illinois Women's College, Jacksonville, Ill., in the class of 1883. Married to J. D. Hess at Rentchler, St. Clair County, Ill., Nov. 22, 1883. Mother of four children: Stanley R., of Fairbanks, Alaska, (deceased); Terrence (deceased); Katherine and Eloise. A member of the M. E. Church, and many of its auxiliaries; president of Fortnightly Club for two years; W. C. T. U.; Woman's Club, of Pittsfield. Organized Pike County Federation of Women's Clubs in 1915, and was president until resignation in 1919, Chairman of Executive Committee, Pike County Anti-Tuberculosis League; served as Recording Secretary of 20th Congressional District Federation of Women's Clubs, and is district chairman of department of Social and Industrial Conditions of this organization. Was woman member of Pike County Auxiliary Committee, State Council of Defense.
MRS. CHAS. H. PENSTONE, Vice Chairman
Gertrude E., daughter of Howard and Mary Cohenour, was born in Pittsfield. Attended country grade school and graduated from Pittsfield High School. Was married to Chas. H. Penstone of Newburg in 1900. Is a member of Pleasant Grove M. E. Church, president of Ladies' Aid, a member of Pittsfield Woman's Club, Sorosis Club, and Greenfield Community Club. Was Newburg Township Chairman of Liberty Loan Organization, United War Work, and Armenian Relief. Address is Griggsville, Ill., R. R. No. 3.
MRS. GEORGE M. SMITH, Secretary.
Pearl C. Williams, daughter of John M. and Frances A. Williams, was born near Detroit, Pike County, Ill.. Sept. 25, 1881. Attended Kirksville Normal School at Kirksville, Mo., for two years and taught school far seven years in Missouri. Was married Oct. 27, 1908, to George M. Smith of Pittsfield, Ill., which is now her home. Was president of Pittsfield Fortnightly Club for two years, active in Red Cross work, secretary of Woman's Committee, C. N. D., for period of the war, and at present vice-president of the Pittsfield Woman's Club.
MRS. EARL S. GRIGSBY, Treasurer
Helen Lewis (Mrs. Earl S. Grigsby), daughter of Mr. and Mrs. F. M. Lewis and granddaughter of Colonel A. C. Matthews, was born at Pittsfield, Oct 28, 1988. She graduated from Pittsfield High School and attended Illinois College Conservatory of Music, at Jacksonville, IL. Is a member of the Congregational Church, was president of Pittsfield Woman`s Club two years, County Chairman of Refugee and Comfort Kit Committee of Red Cross during the war, chairman of Pittsfield Township unit of C. N. D., County Treasurer of Woman`s Committee, C. N. D., County Chairman of Armenian Relief Drive.
ATLAS TOWNSHIP, PRECINCT NO. 1
MRS. RICHARD H. LONG, Chairman
The Atlas Township Precinct No. 1 Unit of the Wornan's Committee, C. N. D., was organized Nov. 5, 1917, with the following officers: Mrs. Richard Long, chairman; Mrs. Ella James, vice-chairman; Miss Lena Henry, secretary; Dr. Mary Aiton, treasurer. Department chairmen were appointed as follows: Americanization, Mrs. Helen Deam; Allied Relief, Mrs. Carrie McCarty; Courses of Instruction, Miss Sue G. Long; Food Production and Conservation, Lulu M. Long and Bessie Deam Adams; Social Hygiene and Child Welfare, Dr. Mary Aitoh; Finance, Miss Lena Henry; War Savings, Mrs. Irma Carlton. The organization made a complete registration of the women and children in the township and helped in all the war work drives - Liberty Loans, Red Cross Financial and Membership, Fatherless Children of France, Tuberculosis Work in Pike County, State Aid Roads.
The local unit of the Wornen"s Committee. Council of National Defense, was organzed Aug. 28. 1918. with the following officers: Chairman, Mrs. E. A. MeAtee; vice-chairman, Mrs. W. N. Hart; secretary, Mrs. J. M. Snider; treasurer, Mrs. Adelle Berry. School district chairmen appointed were as follows: Mounds, Mrs. Ed. Hart; Williams, Mrs. Preston Williams; Boulware, Mrs. W. W. Triplett; Guss, Mrs. W. B. Miller; Blue Grass, Miss Amy Clark; Elm Grove, Mrs. J. H. Maher; Spring Valley, Miss Gladys Perry. Department chairmen were also appointed as follows: Registration, Mrs. C. A. Johnson and Mrs. Ella Stauffer; Publicity, Mrs. Myrtle McAtee; Courses of Instruction, Mrs. 0. Williamson; Finance, Mrs. G. H. Wike; Food Production. Mrs, W. M. Hailey; Child Welfare, Mrs. T. J. McVay; Conservation, Mrs. C. A. Hess; War Information, Mrs. Harry Fishel; Red Cross, Mrs. T. A. Retallic; Allied Relief, Mrs. Clifford McCarl; War Savings, Dr. M. V. Collins; Fatherless Children of France, Mrs. B. B. Watson: Girls Patriotic League, Mrs. Byron Campbell; Americanization, Mrs. Karl Sessel; Community Singing, Mrs. L. F. Bright. Registration: Seven hundred women were registered in Barry Township for all kinds of war work. The Barry Unit, under the leadership of Mrs. C. A. Hess, assistant county finance chairman, aided in raising over $700 in the county. Fatherless Children of France: The chairman, Mrs. B. B. Watson, supervised a Tag Day on which $150 was collected for French orphans, and succeeded in getting eleven orphans adopted by Barry Township. Under the leadership of Mrs. McAtee there was raised $100 for the Emergency League and $100 for the Pike County Tuberculosis League. Mrs. McAtee was also township chairman of the Women's National Liberty Loan Committee and with her assistants sold many thousands of dollars worth of bonds; was chairman of Overseas Christmas Parcels for Barry and Hadley Townships; had charge of Armenian Relief Campaign for the township, raising $400. War Sayings: Barry Township went "over the top" with a rush in the sale of W. S. S. as a result of the June drive. Our quota was $55,000, but by the middle of July we had, in sales and pledges, $57,150. During the balance of the year these pledges were redeemed, and the sales, which included those procured from the banks through the Federal Reserve. amounted to $72,930 for the year 1918. Barry had 24 "maximum" holders of the securities. For the year of 1919 the purchase of the stamps was quiet but steady. Dr. Metta V. Collins was township chairman of W. S. S.
The Chambersburg Unit of the Woman's Committee, C. N. D., was organized June 5, 1918, with the following officers: Chairman, Mrs. E. B. Tolbert; vice-chairman, Mrs. 0. Dennis; secretary, Mrs. Ed. Pool; treasurer, Mrs. Ben Elliston. The chairman of Women's Registration was Mrs. E. B. Tolbert. assisted by Mrs. Minter Metz, Mrs. Lloyd Taylor, Miss Flora Newton. One hundred and forty women were registered. The Liberty Loan Committee was composed of Mrs. E. B. Tolbert, chairman, and Mrs. Claud Orr, Mrs. Frank Lower and Mrs. Minnie Hazelrigg. Bonds to the amount of $12,600 were sold. The Belgian and Armenian Relief Committee was Rev. L. H. West, J. H. Dennis and Minter Metz, and $72 was raised for these causes.
Cincinnati being a very small township, both in area and population, and having no community center, we did the best possible with very little organization. School district chairmen were appointed as follows: Mrs. Ella Vincent, Mrs. Lizzie Malone, Mrs. Lizzie Constable, Mrs. Grace Smith, Mrs. Sophronia Brammell and Miss Nora Godfrey. To these women a great deal of the credit for what the township did is due. There were only a very few women in the township who did not register for war work. We subscribed our quota for the Girls' Educational Fund, and solicited funds to support a French orphan for one year. Quite a sum was also raised for the Armenian Relief Fund. I also spent some time soliciting for the Liberty Loan Drives and the United War Work Campaign.
The Griggsville Unit of the Women's Committee, Council of National Defense, was organized Oct. 17, 1917, with the following officers; Chairman, Miss Eva L. Shinn; treasurer, Mrs. Harold Hunter; secretary, Miss Mary Brierly. Department chairmen were as follows: Publicity, Mrs. G. P. Burden; Instruction, Mrs. May P. Harvey; Finance, Mrs. Harold Hunter; Food Production and Conservation, Mrs. Mary H. Rodway; Public Health, Mrs. May P. Harvey; Recreation, Miss Hazel Sleight; Child Welfare, Mrs. R. H. Thackwray; Allied Relief, Miss Elsie Cree; Registration, Miss Eva L. Shinn ; Liberty Loan, Mrs. A. W. Butterfield; Americanization, Mrs. Alice Shoemaker. Chairmen of school districts were : Maysville, Miss Mildred Dunham; Bradbury, Mrs. Edgar Clark; Brush College, Mrs. Edward Bickerdike; Wilson, Mrs. Elmer Ellis; Walnut Grove, Miss Jessie Simpkin. The work accomplished by the Griggsville Unit in the different departments, giving figures, was as follows:
Registration of Women: Number registered, 662. Fees and donations from same, $58.90. Mrs. M. J. Cameron, chairman.
Red Cross Seal Sale, $37.57. Mrs. M. J. Cameron, chairman.
Health Crusade Pins Sale, $2.00. Mrs. M. J. Cameron, chairman.
War Recreation Drive, $91.85. Mrs. M. J. Cameron, chairman.
Third Liberty Loan. $71,850. Mrs. M. J. Cameron, chairman.
Educational Fund. $82.45, Mrs. Harold Hunter. chairman.
Fourth Liberty Loan, $53,900. Miss Eva L. Shinn, chairman.
United War Work Campaign, $4,170.60. Miss Eva L. Shinn, chairman.
Red Cross Christmas Roll Call Subscription Campaign, $169. Miss Eva L. Shinn, chairman.
Y. W. C. A. Drive, $69.30. Mrs. Harold Hunter, chairman.
Armenian Relief Fund, $480. Miss Eva L. Shinn, chairman.
Fatherless Children of France: Four adopted for one year; $146: one adopted for five years. $36.50; total, $182.;0. Miss Elsie Cree, chairman. The total amount of bonds sold, receipts from tag days, and subscriptions to various drives for which the unit was almost entirely responsible was $131,094.17. Total number of babies weighed and measured was 141. Mrs. R. H. Thackwray, chairman. All of this work was accomplished by the women of the C. N. D. nvith the exception of the Liberty Loans, the United War Work Campaign and the Armenian Relief Fund Drive, when they worked in conjunction with the men's committee. The Abbie A. Hatch Chautauqua Circle of Griggsville fostered the C. N. D. work all through the war, taking account of the work at each regular meeting of the Circle, and giving assistance in every way possible. Much credit is due to the efficient work of Mrs. M. J. Cameron, who was township chairman until her removal to Baraboo, Wisconsin,
The Hardin Township Unit of the Pike County Unit, Women's Committee Council of National Defense, was organized in 1917 with the following officers: Chairman, Mrs. Eugene Bagby; secretary, Mrs. Ada Cox; treasurer, Mrs. Lelia Parker. School district chairmen were: Mrs. Anna Kern, Mrs. Eva A.Tokem, Mrs. May Bauer, Mrs. Mabel Hayden and Miss Lena Willard. The Registration Board consisted of Mrs. Lottie Conboy, Mrs. Lillie Scott, Mrs. Melinda Thomas, Mrs. Lelia Parker, Mrs. Cora Ransom, Mrs. Dora Schemel and Mrs. May Bauer. Department chairmen were: Child Welfare, Mrs. Etta Ragby; Allied Relief, Mrs. Lottie Conboy ; Production and Conservation, Mrs. Lena Yaeger: Registration, Mrs. Lillie Scott; Community Welfare Meetings, Mrs. Eugene Bagby. The work of the unit was concerned with all the above mentioned activities. Out of 190 women in the township 141 were registered. The district chairman who had charge of the Educational Fund raised our quota of $40. The chairman of Allied Relief collected 70 articles of clothing on the Belgian Relief Drive. The special committees were active and efficient, showing a most hearty spirit of response to all calls.
MRS. RENA McTUCKER, Chairman
No working organization was effected in Hadley Township, as most of the work was done in conjunction with the Barry Township Unit. The committee, however, which was appointed to help in the work in our unit was as follows: Mrs. Mary McDaniel, Mrs. Eliza Sykes, Mrs. Mabel Hull, Mrs. Chas. Shelley, Mrs. Anna Gleckler, Mrs. Minnie Kerr, Mrs. Gladys McCarl, Miss Faye McTucker. During registration week 168 women were registered in the township. Work in all departments was done in connection with the Barry Township Unit. The ladies of Oak Grove and the Helping Hand Society deserve special praise for the splendid help given us.
K1NDERHOOK, PRECINCT NO. 2
Mrs. J. F. LACY, Chairman
On November 5, 1917, responding to the first call for the registration of women in Kinderhook Township, Precinct No. 2 (the Town of Hull), Mrs. J. F. Lacy, Mrs. L. F. Waters, Mrs. J. H. Kirby, Mrs. G. W. Lawrence, Mrs. J. H. Wheelock, Mrs. R. C. Gray, and Mrs. Elizabeth Rush, acting as a committee under the direction of the Woman's Committee, Council of National Defense, registered at Hull, Illinois, 175 women. Those failing to register were given another chance on May 24, 1918, and responded splendidly, bringing the number of registrants to 300. In the meantime the Kinderhook Township Precinct No. 2 Unit of the Woman's Committee was organized with Mrs. J. F. Lacy chairman, Mrs. L. F. Waters vice-chairman and treasurer, and Mrs. J. Green secretary. Department chairmen were appointed as follows: Publicity, Mrs. Myrtle Williams; Social Service, Mrs. Orsen Lease; Finance, Mrs. Elizabeth Rush; Food Production, Mrs. Rose Johnston; Social Hygiene and Recreation, Mrs. W. F. Reynolds; Child Welfare and Fatherless Children of France, Mrs. Lillie Kirby; Conservation, Mrs. C. A. Dinning; War Information, Mrs. L. H. Kennedy; Women and Children in Industry, Mrs. A. L. Maple; Allied Relief, Mrs, J. B. McRae; Co-ordination, Mrs. W. H. Lease; Liberty Loan and War Savings, Mrs. J. F. Lacy; Courses of Instrnction, Miss M. Bauch; Americanization, Miss Mamie Carr. Three French orphans were adopted by the following: M. E. Sunday School of Hull, united with Spencer Chapel and the Baptist Sunday School; one by Miss Pauline Lacy and one by Mr. and Mrs. J. F. Lacy. Not being fully organized until late in the struggle, not all of the committees were able to report. However, the organization kept in touch with that of the county and stood ready to assist in every emergency. The State Bank of Hull, with its co workers, sold War Savings Stamps to the amount of $20,000, and Liberty Bonds amounting to $226,450. One-third of this latter amount was credited to the women of the C. N. D. In none of the drives for funds to aid the various war work agencies did this precinct fail to go "Over the Top." The people were generally enthusiastic, standing nobly behind the boys and Uncle Sam.
The Martinsburg Township Unit of the Women's Committee, Council of National Defense, was organized September 6, 1918, with Mrs. Annie Cooper, chairman, Mrs. Etta Roberts, vice-chairman, Mrs. Amy Lyman secretary, and Miss Alta Waggoner treasurer. Township department chairmen were as follows: Americanization, Mrs. Pearl Baker; Allied Relief, Mrs. Lora Kinnamon; Conservation, Mrs. Etta Roberts; Child Welfare, Mrs. W. H. Cannon; Courses of Instruction, Mrs. Amy Lyman; Finance, Mrs. Mina Ator; Food Production, Mrs. Percy Lord; Liberty Loan and War Savings, Mrs. Ollie Ator; Publicity, Mrs. Mattie Roberts; Registration, Mrs. Vida Stone; Recreation for Girls, Miss Gerda Ward. School district chairmen were: Central, Mrs. Agnes McGrevey; Black Oak, Mrs. Ella Briscoe; Liberty, Mrs. Bertha Butler; -Fruit Ridge, Miss Eva Dexter; Highland, Mrs. Ola Pyle; Martinsburg, Mrs. J. K. Ator; Rose Hill, Mrs. James Roberts. Out of about 300 women in the township eligible for registration, 112 were registered, for which there was received and turned in $11.20. Among the funds raised for various agencies were: $50 for the Red Cross Nurse Training Fund; $80 for the Armenian Relief; and $36.50 for the support of one French orphan for a year. Many of the women assisted in the Liberty Loan and War Sayings drives, and the township's quota in each bond issue was met in full. The Child Welfare department met with very good success, 76 babies being weighed and measured out of about 125 that were born in the township during the five years previous to the year in which this work was carried on. Of the 76 only eight were under weight, and not one had any physical defects. Being purely an agricultural township, work in many departments was out of the question, but to make up for these the women did all they could in knitting and sewing for the Red Cross and Belgian Relief, and everyone did their best in helping to produce all the food possible.
MRS. ELMER GRIGSBY, Chairman
The Newburg Township Unit of the Woman's Committee, C. N. D., was organized in the fall of 1917. Officers were: Chairman, Mrs. Elmer Grigsby; vice-chairman, Mrs. Lucile King; secretary and treasurer, Mrs. Katie Schmidt. Department chairmen appointed were: Food Conservation, Mrs. John Rainwater; Food Production, Mrs. Effie Hoos; Liberty Loan, Mrs. Gertrude Penstone; Fatherless Children of France, Mrs, Grace Doran; Educational Fund, Mrs. Elizabeth Kern; Child Welfare, Mrs. Elizabeth Lewis; Health and Tuberculosis, Miss Helen Abbott; Soldiers of Song, Mrs. Lucile King; Americanization and Publicity, Mrs. Katie Schmidt. School district chairmen were: Mrs. Clara Pringle, Mrs. Katie Schmidt, Mrs. Hannah Kern, Mrs. Lottie Bickerdike, Mrs. Grace Doran, Mrs. Nona Kenyon, Mrs. Cressie Hoos, Mrs. Anna Penstone, Miss Mildred Riser and Miss Emma Hillerbrenner. No matter what the nature of the call New-burg township responded to every war drive by going "over the top" each time, and in a number of instances doubling her allotment. The Registration Committee succeeded in registering every woman in the township but two. There were ten French orphans adopted by clubs and individuals in Newburg. The Child Welfare chairman reported a 100 per cent record of babies weighed and measured. She also had the ten "Golden Health Rules" printed on cardboard and placed in every school in the county. At the time when Pike County was asked to procure at least 150 names petitioning the Board of Supervisors to hold an election on whether to levy a tax for fighting tuberculosis in the county, the Newburg committee secured 85 names, or over one-half of the names on the petition. One of the last things accomplished by the C. N. D. of the township was the raising of a beautiful service flag in honor of the 39 men who were in army and navy service. Beside the service flag there is a smaller one containing two triangles for the men who volunteered to work in the Y. M. C. A. There is also a framed service roll of honor telling the name of each man in service, and giving the company, regiment, branch of service, date of enlistment and date of discharge. The C. N. D. of Newburg was well organized, and with the help of most of the women of the township, who were eager to do their part, was able to respond to each appeal as it was sent out to the women of America.
The Pleasant Hill Unit of the Women's Committee, Council of National Defense, was organized in September, 1918, with the following officers: Chairman, Mrs. Helen L. Wells; vice-chairman, Mrs. Etta Thomas; secretary, Miss Geneva Collins; treasurer, Mrs. Elmer Baker. Departmental chairmen appointed were : Americanization, Mrs. W. T. Waugh; Allied Relief, Mrs. Emma Blake; Conservation, Mrs. Minnie Windmiller; Child Welfare, Miss Minnie Guthrie; Courses of Instruction, Miss Stella Ferguson; Finance, Mrs. Elmer Baker; Food Production, Mrs. A. O. Venable; Information, Miss Viola Thomas; Publicity, Mrs. Etta Thomas; Registration, Mrs. Helen L. Wells; Recreation of Girls, Mrs. A. T. Brant; Social Hygiene, Mrs. R. P. Wells; Public Health, Mrs. James Goodman and Mrs. Oscar Wag,goner; War Savings and Liberty Loan, Mrs. Ada Bybee, Miss Marie Windmiller and Mrs. Chas. Shive; Women and Children in Industry, Mrs. P. B. Yates; Directors of Music, Rev, Chas. Liston and Rev. Fenton Bartine. Chairmen of Neighborhood Committees were: Dist. 96, Mrs. Geo. Kinnamon; Dist. 99, Mrs. Homer Goodwin; Dist. 101, Mrs. W. R. Sitton; Dist. 102, Mrs. Louis Galloway; Dist. 103, Miss Alice Freeman; Dist. 104, Mrs. Chas. Shive; Dist. 105, Mrs. Harry Crowder. The government call for registration of women was responded to by the registration of 198 from this and Ross township. Nearly all the registrants expressed their Willingness to give personal service if necessary. Registration fees to the amount of $16.10 were collected. Under the direction of the Child Welfare Department 30 babies were weighed and measured and a movement was started for the registration of all births and deaths in the township. All calls for money and personal service were responded to and the apportionment of $215 for the Armenian Relief Fund was met in full. That many of our women worked untiringly in the Red Cross, both in the work room and in the drives, is shown by the records of that organization. Personal purchases of bonds by the women of the township was as follows: First Loan, $7,000; Second, $2,800; Third, $9,700: Fourth, $10,950; Fifth, $5,700: a total of $36,150.
The Pittsfield Township Unit of the Women's Committee of the Council of National Defense was organized with the following officers and departmental chairme, who constituted the Executive Board. Chairman, Mrs. Helen Lewis Grigsby; vice-chairman, Mrs. Eva Shinn; secretary and treasurer, Miss Helen Carey; Americanization, Miss Hester C. Watson; Allied Relief, Mrs. Maud Hesley; Conservation, Mrs. Maud Shaw; Child Welfare, Mrs. Sada Aber Willsey; Courses of Instruction, Miss Josie McMahon; Finance, Miss Marian Hirsheimer; Food Production, Miss Stella Williams; Information, Mrs. Clara B. Shastid; Publicity, Mrs. George Smith; Registration, Mrs. Helen Grigsby; Liberty Loan, Mrs. Helen Grigsby, Mrs. Helen Anderson, Mrs. Sarah Foreman, Miss Josie McMahon. Reports from the different departments are as follows: Registration: For the convenience of the women three registration booths were maintained in the various voting precincts, with a total of 739 women registering. After registration these names were properly classified as directed and from such classification lists of nurses were furnished the Red Cross officers for service during the influenza epidemic. Splendid work was done by the Department of Allied Relief. Fourteen French orphans were adopted in the township. Two days were devoted to a food demonstration under the auspices of the Conservation Department. The committee from the Child Welfare Department did very efficient work in weighing and measuring the children. The finance chairman raised the full amount assigned, which was the unit's part of the fund to be used for the Department of Courses of Instruction. The Liberty Loan Committee took an active part in the Second, Third and Fourth Loan drives, using automobiles and making a very thorough house to house canvass, also maintaining soliciting committees in banks and churches. In the United War Work drive the unit was assigned the duty of pasting and distributing all lithographs and printed matter. The last work assigned the unit was that of taking full charge of the Armenian Relief drive in Pittsfield Township, which was handled in a very satisfactory manner, the quota being more than doubled.
Pittsfield Township Unit No. 2, C. N. D., consisting of the rural sections of Pittsfield Township, was organized Oct. 5, 1918, at the home of Mrs. J. D. Hess, county chairman of the Woman's Committee, C. N. D. Said rural portion of Pittsfield Township was divided into seven districts, the boundary lines of which coincided with the boundaries of the several rural school districts, and a chairman was then appointed in each district. The districts, names of chairmen, and the work accomplished in each district follows: Cork, Dist. No. 82—Mrs. Henry Ayers—Girls' Educational Fund, $5.50; Red Cross Christmas Drive, $30. Little York, Dist. No. 83—Mrs. Elmer Criss—Girls Educational Fund, $7.15; Red Cross Christmas Drive, $18. Aberdeen, Dist. No. 84—Mrs. Lawrence Smith—Girls. Educational Fund, $9.25; Red Cross Christmas Drive, $17. Cold Water. Dist. No. 85—Mrs. Lloyd Wackerman—Girls' Educational Fund, $8.25; Red Cross Christmas Drive, $32. Union, Dist. No. 86—Mrs. Roland Varner—Girls' Educational Fund, $6.10; Red Cross Christmas Drive. $22 ; Armenian and Syrian Relief. $12.50. Fairview, Dist. No. 87—Mrs. Bert Riley—Girls. Educational Fund, 83; Red Cross Christmas Drive. $2. West Point. Dist. No. 89—Mrs. Ella Stone—Girls' Educational Fund, 86.85; Red Cross Christmas Drive, $4; Armenian and Syrian Relief, $3. Total: Girls' Educational Fund, $46.10; Red Cross Christmas Drive, $125; Armenian and Syrian Relief. $15.50. Each district was canvassed for clothing for the Belgian Relief, the garments being delivered at Pittsfield at the central packing station. Liberty Song Leaflets were received from Mrs. Harry Hart, State Director of Liberty Chorus and Community Singing, and were distributed among the several district chairmen to be used at the various rural school Thanksgiving "sings". The various drives headed by the C. N. D. were made in our districts by house-to-house canvass by the several district chairmen and helpers.
ZULAH G. THURMON, Chairman
The first work done by the Pearl Unit of the Women's Committee, C. N. D., was the registration of women. Nov. 6-7 were registration days, and 286 women were signed up for war work. The registrars were: Miss Bess Stathem, Miss Bess Chandler, Miss Edna Boren, Mrs. Prudence Wetzel and Mrs. Effie. Stathem. The unit was organized soon after this, with the following department chairmen : Registration, Mrs. Zulah G. Thurmon; Conservation, Mrs. Zilfa Lacy; Child Welfare, Mrs. Lou Foiles and Mrs. Kate Meisenbach; Courses of Instruction, Miss Eloise Meisenbach; Food Production, Mrs. Ada Ferguson; Information. Mrs. Captola Lewis; Publicity, Mrs. Fannie Hayden; Recreation for Girls, Mrs. Effie Dennison ; War Savings and Liberty Loan, Mrs. Zulah G. Thurston; Americanization, Mrs. Lydia Lucas; Allied Relief, Miss Pauline Knox; Soldiers of Song, Mrs. Ruth Albright. School district chairmen were: Bee Creek, Mrs. Josephine C. Fisher and Miss Josephine Roberts; Old Pearl, Mrs. Lena Miller; Pleasant View, Miss Nettie McPherson. There were not very many babies weighed and measured, but steps were taken to see that birth registration was fully carried out. Funds for the Armenian Relief Fund were raised by a bazar. The pledge cards were distributed, and most all were signed. All members of the unit assisted in Red Cross work, making this their main branch of endeavor, All drives asked were made, and almost all were successful in filling the quotas assigned to the township.
Owing to the fact that about 90 per cent of the women of Spring Creek Township were already engaged in Red Cross work, we were rather late in effecting an organization, and were unable to fill all the offices and departments. However, we were able to register 253 women, and our women worked faithfully in all the different drives that were made to win the war. The Child Welfare Committee weighed and measured a large number of babies. Through our Allied Relief chairman, our Woman's Club adopted one French orphan. Our Finance chairman, assisted by our Rural District chairmen, collected a considerable sum for the Armenian and Syrian Relief Fund. The heads of departments were as follows: Finance, Mrs. George Blackwell; Food Production, Mrs. A. Wall; Conservation, Mrs. J. T. Franklin; Child Welfare, Mrs. L A. Roberts; Allied Relief, Mrs. C. E. Swayne; War Savings, Mrs. J. D. Harpole. School district chairmen were: Mrs. J. M. Witty, Mrs. E. E. Allison, Mrs. T. J. Borrowman, Miss Verna Meyers, Mrs. Ivy Joslin, Mrs. Laura Sidwell, Mrs. S. A. Sheppard.
Additional units of the Pike County Organization from which no reports have been received were as follows:
Detroit Township, Mrs. Emmett Rush, chairman. Derry Township, Mrs. L. Chamberlain, chairman. Flint Township, Mrs. William Turnbull, chairman. Fairnount Township, Mrs. -Emma Powell. chairman.
Kinderhook Township, Precinct No. 1. (Kinderhook), Mrs. C. A. Gose, chairman. Levee Township, Mrs. M. J. Stoke, chairman.
Montezuma Township, Mrs, Carrie Colvin, chairman.
New Salem Township, Precinct No. 1 (New Salem), Mrs. Iva Laird, chairman.
New Salem Township, Precinct No. 2 (Baylis), Mrs. R. J. McConnell, chairman. Perry Township, Miss Ella Carey, chairman.
Pleasant Vale Township (New Canton), Mrs. Sara Rainwater, chairman.
Milton, Mrs. Ida Collins, chairman.
In writing a history of how the subscriptions for Pike County's share in the five loans to the Government for prosecuting the great World War were secured, it would first seem proper to take into consideration the financial condition of the county at the time of the first call. For three years previous to our engagement in the war unusually small crops raised, coupled with moderate prices for farm products, reduced the deposits in the banks of the county to less than 60 per cent of the present amount, and there being no establishments in the county manufacturing and furnishing equipment for the armies, it was impossible for the agricultural communities to obtain quick returns for the money its people were sending out in such large quantities until after the armies were mobilized and in the training camps. The question of how to maintain the accustomed commercial relations within the county and yet part with such large sums of money as were called for was a serious one. No plan for securing the co-operation of the people in raising the money had been developed, so that those called upon to lead in the work could point to no well-tried plan. Consequently, when the Federal Reserve Bank of the 8th District at St. Louis, Mo., was beginning its efforts to raise the quota assigned to the district, it took into consideration the importance of protecting commerce, and therefore called for a meeting of the officers of all the Chambers of Commerce within the district for the purpose of devising a plan. When the Meeting was held it resulted in a declaration upon the part of these men that the matter of raising money and protecting the commercial interests of the country properly belonged to the bankers, and that while the officers of the Chambers of Commerce were willing to send out calls to the bankers to meet with them for the purpose of devising plans, they should only be required to lend hearty co-operation with the bankers' plans when made.
It so happened that the Chamber of Commerce at Quincy furnished the call for 18 counties in Illinois and Missouri, sending out notices to all the bankers in those counties to send representatives to Quincy upon a certain day to attend the conference. The writer well remembers the fact that Mr. H. F. J. Ricker, the president of the Chamber of Commerce, announced to those present the purpose of the call, and stated that they were without plans, and placed the responsibility upon those present to formulate them. When he had asked that someone speak on the subject, and sat down, a great silence fell upon the audience and continued until he was obliged to name some one who should speak. When he named John Weber of Barry as appearing to be the oldest banker present, stating that we would hear from him, Mr. Weber turned the remark by saying he was much younger in the banking business than many others present, but that he brought with him from Pike this morning perhaps the oldest man in point of service, and believed that he might make helpful suggestions in the matter, and sat down. The gentleman from Pike was called upon and after expressing surprise that the people who had known the call was to he made and having had the matter under consideration before our assembling should call upon one who was unaware of the character of the meeting before reaching the place and listening to Mr. Ricker's remarks. But with a purpose of bearing his share of the responsibility and of provoking a discussion of plans, he stated concisely his views regarding the matter, and before sitting down he outlined the plan which was adopted by the meeting, and had the satisfaction some six weeks later, at the time of the meeting of Group Eight of the Illinois Bankers' Association, to hear the State officers of the association urge upon the bankers of the 12 counties represented in the meeting to pursue a like plan.
The plan provided for the Chamber of Commerce to name three bankers in each county, whose business it should be to call all of the bankers together, and secure from them, if possible, pledges that each banker would undertake to secure subscriptions for the bond allotment to his county in such amount or in such ratio to the whole allotment as his share of capital in the banking business bore to the whole of the banking capital in the county in which he resided.
The plan was received with favor by the bankers of Pike County, and by their skill in directing the matter an over-subscription was turned in upon each call, notwithstanding the increased capital required to raise larger yields of food as called for by the Government, and which were actually produced. A careful inquiry revealed the fact that neither the bond issue nor the farming interest suffered from lack of funds.
The writer, being a banker, does not desire to claim too much for those of his calling, but believes he is justified in feeling pride in the fact that the bankers throughout the county, acting under one plan and with one purpose, did so wisely counsel and direct the committees appointed that they avoided un favorable criticism and charge of neglect, and secured instead for its citizens an honorable mention after the close of every loan.
I do not recall the allotment on the first issue of bonds, but do know that it was over? subscribed and that in advance of taking the subscriptions the banks pledged themselves to subscribe to the amount of $246,660 in bonds; and that the allotment in the second issue was $473,000 and subscriptions were secured to the amount of $507,450. The allotment in the third issue was $426,850 and subscriptions were secured to the amount of $745,300. The allotment in the fourth issue was $943,000 and the subscriptions were $1,069,200. The allotment in the fifth or "Victors' Loan was $733,150 and the subscriptions secured were $880,550.
Probably the man who did more work than any outside of those actually engaged in the banking business was Judge Paul F. Grote, who had the position of sales manager.
Probably the woman who showed herself the most helpful was Mrs. Caroline Kibby of Perry, who was chairman of the Women's Organization of the county, and who brought to the Liberty Loan Organization the names of women in every township in the county who could be relied upon to co-operate with the bankers in any capacity in which they might be called upon to serve. She not only was the means of providing a meeting place and securing an audience at a meeting in her own township, but showed herself an able and effective speaker when called to visit other points.
I feel greatly indebted to B. H. Swan, who was chairman of the publicity committee, and who did such effective work, and to the editors of all the papers in the county who co-operated with him so generously; to Harry English, chairman of the committee of distribution of supplies; to W. S. Binns, chairman of township organization, and to judge Harry Higbee of the speakers' committee, all of whom rendered most helpful and efficient service. The work accomplished by the Liberty Loan Organization has proved to the people for all time to come that it is not worth while to say that things are impossible of accomplishment until they have been tried. The contrary has been clearly shown by the results obtained.
In closing I desire to say that the splendid co-operation of the bankers and of those engaged with me in making the undertaking a success, has greatly endeared them to me. And I shall always be grateful for the splendid spirit shown upon every occasion, and especially to the officers of the five banks in the county who said "I will join you in guaranteeing the balance of Pike County's share of the Fourth Liberty Loan" when the State officers were indicating that they were feeling discouraged because of the fact that so few were reporting their work completed, and it was nearing the date when the drive should close.
I sincerely hope that through the efforts of the World Peace League they will make unnecessary forever a repetition of such efforts; but should there ever come such a time for service to the country and its interests, I could wish those leading in the enterprise no better fortune than that they might be joined by such a host of patriot citizens as engaged with me in this work.
Sincerely, 0000 R. T. HICKS, Chairman.
Pike County and the W. S. S. Organization
Of all the war work organizations in the county, perhaps the most devoted and untiring as regards the precinct workers and their helpers was the War Savings Organization. Pike County quota of the War Sayings Securities was $472,000, and there was sold $642,000 worth of the stamps. The county held seventh place in the State in record of sales. The Pike County Maximum War Savings Club (composed of persons who held $1,000 worth of the stamps) was also one of the largest in the State.
It took considerable time to educate the people of the county in this branch of war work, but when they understood, the money began to roll in and continued to do so until the end of the war. The public mass meetings held in each town and village in the county aided greatly in arousing the interest of the people, and the leaders apparently had the co-operation of everyone.
Following is the county organization and the precinct chairmen. It will be seen that in some instances two precinct chairmen are named, but this came about through vacancies, and those who were appointed to fill them.
County Chairman, Lee Capps.
Vice-Chairman, Joseph C. Shastid.
Publicity Director, Bentley Caughlan.
Chairman School Section, H. P. Hooper.
Barry: Dr. R. H. Main, Dr. Metta V. Collins.
Hadley: G. W. Gibbens.
Kinderhook No. 1: Mrs. Jamima Walmsley. Kinderhook No. 2: Mrs. J. F. Lacy.
Levee: T. E. Aldrich.
Cincinnati: C. P. Klitz. Montezuma: J. Wes Smith.
Hardin : Brady Sonner, Irving Parker. Detroit: Mrs. Emmett Rush. Newburg: Charles A. Hooper. Martinsburg: Rev. W. H. Cannon.
Derry: Rev. J. D. Dabney.
Flint: E. L. Cawthon.
Griggsyille: Fred Davis.
Perry: E. C. Yockey,
Chambersburg: Prof. Karl Hesley, Alfred Lidgard, Henry Kleinlein.
Fairmount: Loyd Davis.
Baylis: Webber Grammer. New Salem: Harry Pease, Leonard Campbell, John Martin.
Pittsfield: Prof. J. C. Shastid.
New Hartford: Wm. Shinn.
LEE CAPPS, Chairman.
Below not pictured
Miss Edith Colvin Stenographer
Miss Ora Ola Irick Stenographer
Miss Helen Biddle Stenographer
On June 23, 1917, A. L. Kiser, Dr. W. E. Shastid and N. R. Davis were appointed as members of the Local Exemption Board for Pike County, and on July 2 met at Pittsfield and organized, with A. L. Kiser, chairman, Dr. W. L. Shastid as physician, and N. R. Davis, clerk. The Board was in almost continuous session from the date of its organization until March 31, 1919, when it was formally mustered out.
During this period the Board was served by three very efficient stenographers: Miss Edith Colvin from Aug. 10 to Sept. 1, 1917: Miss Ora Irick from Sept. 1, 1917, to March 1, 1918, and Feb. 10 to March 31, 1919; Miss Helen Biddle from May 25, 1918, to Jan. 30, 1919. Public mention should also be made of the many women and girls of Pittsfield who served at different times when a rush of work made extra help necessary.
From the very beginning the Board was overwhelmed with work, the plan of procedure originally outlined to us being necessarily very crude, which caused us much unnecessary detail work. During the war we examined physically 1,800 men, classified 5,235, had calls for 399, inducted 661, and had accepted for service 631 men. The June 5th, 1917, registration totaled 2,039; the June and August, 1918, registrations 228, and the Sept. 12, 1918, registration 2,968. Of this number 10 were colored, three of which were inducted into service and three enlisted before the time for their call to service.
Perhaps not the least interesting information, from the public viewpoint, that the compilation of statistics concerning the work of the local Board discloses is its cost. The total amount appropriated by Congress for the expenses of the Selective Service System was $54,896,903. Of this amount $30,847, 914.24 was expended. Upon the basis of these expenditures as per the report of Provost Marshal Crowder, it appears that the per capita cost per registrant for the whole country was $1.26; for registrant classified, $1.74; for man inducted, S10.83; for man accepted at camp, $11.34; as compared with Pike County's average of $7.07 per man accepted at camp. When the cost per accepted man for the entire county is compared with the cost per man secured by voluntary enlistment in the Army $28.95, and in the Navy $30.23, it is apparent that from a standpoint of economy nothing was lost by the Selective System.
There were many things during our work which made deep and lasting impressions upon our minds. Among some of the hardest things we were called upon to do was to turn a deaf ear to the pleadings of a mother for an only son. Another phase of the work with which we had to contend in the later part of the war was the persistent efforts of some to drive this or that boy into service regardless of the merits of his claim for exemption because his or her boy had been compelled to go.
In behalf of the Local Board I want to avail myself of this opportunity to publicly thank the patriotic people of Pike County who so loyally stood by us during the dark days in the beginning of our work, and to the majority of registrants whose confidence in us was shown by the respect always accorded us, their willingness to go when needed, and the very few cases of malingering out of 1,800 physical examinations. Also to Edwin Johnson, Government Appeal Agent, who so harmoniously co-operated with us in the work, and to the doctors who so cheerfully and freely gave their time and service.
A. L. Kiser, Chairman
France, Oct. 24, 1918.
Mr. Ben H. Brunswick
Dear Mr. Brunswick:
I have your letter of Sept. 17th and wish to express my sincere thanksfor the birthday greetings from the "Pershing/s-Beauties Ladies Drum Corps."
In turn, please accept my very best wishes for the continued success of this unique organization.
JOHN J. PERSHING.
PERSHING'S BEAUTIES LADIES DRUM CORPS
The "Pershing`s Beauties Ladies Drum Corps" of Pittsfield, Ill, was organized at the beginning of the war by Mr. Ben H. Brunswick for the purpose of putting patriotism and pep into celebrations and campaigns for the Liberty Loans, Red Cross, and other war work activities.
This organization war backed by some of the best people in the United States, including Frank Vanderlip of New York, Henry T. Rainey of Carrollton, Ill, F. E. Crabtree of Jacksonville, Ill., Fred Sterling of Rockford, Ill., Judge Harry Higbee of Pittsfield, and many others who wanted to show their appreciation for what these girls were doing. In rain or shine, it made no difference to them, they were always ready and willing to go anywhere to help whatever was being done to aid the cause of Uncle Sam in the World War. The fame of the organization traveled far and wide and their services were in demand at celebrations in many towns and cities both in Illinois and out of the State.
General Pershing's letter to the Corps, congratulating them on such good work and organization is something of which they are very proud, and they will all be thankful for being members of an order which aided Uncle Sam in "beating the Hun."
The membership of the Drum Corps was as follows:
Ben H. Brunswick, Directing Manager
Jessie Johnson - Clara Rian - Tersa Mullady - Lucille Shaw
Helen Biddle - Rosa Heck- Maude Brenner - Faye Tippets
Mary Brown - Fern Robinson - Lucille Siegle - Catherine Whittaker
Elizabeth Hull - Florence Hull - Mary Shastid - Catherine Crane
Florine Crane - Helen Hassett - Florence McKenna - Cecile Foreman
Mary Kicntzle - Mary Cosgrove - Margaret Coley
Pike's Y. M. C. A. Secretaries
GEORGE C. WEAVER
Served as Chairman of the Pike County Red Cross Chapter from its organization, May 31, 1917, until May 18, 1918, when he resigned to enter the Overseas Service of the Y. M. C. A. Served with that organization in France from June 20, 1918 until May 22, 1919. Was Hut Secretary with the Second Battalion Second Air Service Mechanic Regiment, which was attached to the Tank Corps of the French Army, from July 13, 1918 until November 18, 1918. Was Hut Secretary with the 104th Engineers, 29th Division, from November 24, 1918 until that regiment returned to the States. Sailed with the regiment on May 11 and landed at Hoboken May 22, 1919.
Motor Transport Section, Y. M. C. A. Son of Hiram and Jane Weaver, of Pittsfield. Born at Newburg, Pike County, Ill., July 19, 1884. Enlisted in the Y.M.C.A. service at Chicago, in May, 1918. Went overseas June 18, 1918. Served with the 29th Division and was with this division in the Meuse-Argonne Offensive. Returned to New York and was relaeased from service January 28, 1919.
(No Picture shown) EDWARD ELLIOTT SHRIVER
Son of Frank L. and Mary (Elliott) Shriver, of Pittsfield. Born at Pittsfield, August 27, 1879. Entered Y. M. C. A. service, in May, 1918. Arrived in England, July 10 and in France, July 16, 1918. Served with 29th Division until it returned to States. Spent two months in Paris as Auditor of Secretaries' Expense Accounts. Returned to United States, June 22, 1919.
J. HAROLD BORTHWICK
Son of Mr. and Mrs. Wm. Borthwick, of Honolulu, Hawaii. Born at Barry, July 30, 1899. Enlisted in Co. E, 53rd Telegraph Battalion, July 2, 1918. Transferred to Q. M. Corps, Finance Div., Paymaster`s Office, Nov. 5, 1918; to Co. D, 2nd Hawaiian Inf., Jan. 20, 1919. Discharged Feb. 2, 1919.
HARRY C. EARLY
Son of Mr. and Mrs. Chas. C. Early, of Barry. Was attached to Base Hospital No. 18. Born at Barry Nov. 20, 1889. Enlisted July 21, 1918. Trained at Camp Lewis, Wash. Overseas Sep. 6, 1919. Discharged at Camp Lewis in June, 1919.
After more than a year of hard work the Honor Roll is at last completed. Especially do we wish to express our appreciation to those people in the county who have helped us in the compilation of this work—the former service men, their parents and relatives and the leaders in the various branches of war work. As is always the case in any enterprise, nothing is so good but what it might be better. So it is with this book. It is not as complete in some details as we had wished, but we feel very well satisfied with what we have been able to accomplish.
And now just a word concerning the personnel of the staff. W. M. Hailey, former editor of the Barry Record, is editor-in-chief, has supervised all work in connection with it, and has spent a great deal of time in the collection of pictures and data. Arthur M. Hailcy, assistant editor and advertising director, has handled most of the detail work connected with the book, compiled and arranged the data and material, and handled the correspondence and stenographic work. Foster B. Hailey, who served in the U. S. Navy for 21 months, worked for several months as copy collector and subscription agent. Gay H. Ware, a member of the 89th Division, who served in the Army for two years, spent two months in the fall of 1919 as copy collector and subscription agent. The Honorary Staff, the members of which have endorsed and supported the work and acted as advisors, is composed of : Hon. Wm. Elza of Pittsfield, County Chairman of Council of National Defense; A. Clay Williams of Pittsfield, County Chairman Red Cross; J.O. Strubinger, President of the Barry State Bank; Judge Paul F. Grote of Pittsfield, Sales Director of Pike County Liberty Loan Organization; R. T. Hicks of Pittsfield, County Chairman of Liberty Loan Organization and cashier of the First National Bank of Pittsfield; Lee Capps of Pittsfield, County Chairman of War Savings Organization; A. L. Kiser, Chairman of the Local Exemption Board for Pike County, and Mrs. J. D. Hess of Pittsfield, Chairman Pike County Unit Women's Committee. C. N. D.
The collection and compiling of data regarding the participation in the World War by Illinois people is a work that is now receiving attention in many counties in our State, and as we go to press on this 17th day of September, 1920, there are in the process of completion in the State thirty-three county Honor Roll Books and War Records. It is apparent at this time that Pike County will be one of the first twelve in the State to have her book completed.
To preserve on the printed page for future generations the glorious record of service and sacrifice that was Pike County's share of participation in the World War—that is the purpose of this book, "With the Colors from Pike County."