Return to Color of Pike Index
NO greater type of service to mankind and humanity is recorded on the page of the World War than that rendered by the noble women who made up the Red Cross and Army Nurse Corps of our forces in France and America. Braving the dangers of disease and death in all its forms, they labored to the limit of their strength and endurance to ease the suffering of mankind—friend and foe alike. Many of them laid down their lives in service, and while no array of figures can begin to do justice to the extent of what they did, the following news dispatch which appeared in the papers of October 16, 1919, sums it up in a brief way:
"Washington, Oct. 16. — That army nurses who served with the American forces during the war had their share of service and suffering, is shown in the final report on the activities of the corps, made by Miss Julia C. Stimson, acting director, who headed the army nursing service abroad. Between May 8, 1917, and May 31, 1919, 10,245 nurses out of a total of 21,480 enlisted for the war, saw service overseas. Three were wounded in action and 266 died while on duty."
To those thousands of splendid women who typify the highest ideals of Womanhood, the country will never be able to pay their debt of gratitude. To those 266 who made the supreme sacrifice our thoughts will ever turn in reverence and admiration.
EULALIE SELLERS (1) Red Cross Nurse, Illinois Registered Trained Nurse. Daughter of D. A. and May Sellers. Born at Barry, Feb. 4, 1893. Enlisted at Quincy in June, 1918. Went overseas, Sept. 30, 1918, to Brest, France, with Section D, American Expeditionary Force. Served as night supervisor in Base Hospital No. 33, at Brest, France. Released from service in June, 1919.
MARGARET WATSON SELLERS (2) Red Cross Nurse, Illinois Trained Registered Nurse. Daughter of D. A. and May Sellers. Born at Barry, Nov. 6, 1888. Enlisted at Quincy in June, 1918. Assistant Chief Nurse at Air Service Depot, Garden City, L. I., N. Y. Released from service in June, 1919.
DALE ARLEEN BROWN (3) Buried at Park Lawn Illinois Registered Trained Nurse. Daughter of E. C. and Ida M. Brown, of Barry. Born at Barry, May 19, 1892. Enlisted at St. Joseph, Mo., Dec. 15, 1917. Went overseas, Sept. 9, 1918. Served in Base Hospital No. 53. Released at New York, May 23, 1919.
BERTHA HOUCHINS (4) Graduate of St. Luke`s Hospital, Denver, Colo. Daughter of Mrs. Sophia Mercer, of Perry. Born at Summer Hill, Aug. 33, 1883. Enlisted at Camp Cody, Denver, Colo., in December, 1917. Went overseas with Colorado Unit in July, 1918. Served in Hospital at London, England, 8 months; in hospital in France, 2 months. Released from service in May, 1919.
FLORENCE BINNS (5) Red Cross worker in Hut Service. Daughter of Mr. and Mrs. W. S. Binns, of Pittsfield. Born July 25, 1890. Enlisted at Atlanta, Ga., in April, 1918. Assigned to Southern Division, A. R. C. Released from service Oct. 1, 1919. Enlisted Oct. 1, 1919, for peace-time program. Now located in Winfield, Kans.
DAISY LEAH MAYO (6) Army Nurse. Daughter of J. K. and Hetty (Cobb) Mayo, of Perry. Enlisted at Quincy, Ill., May 10, 1918. Served at Post Hospital, U. S. Baloon School, Ft. Omaha, Nebr. Released from service at Fort Omaha, Sept., 15, 1919.
ELLA NORRIS (Not pictured) R. C. N., Perry
At a meeting of the Executive Board of the Woman's Club of Pittsfield, held on May 11, 1917, the first steps were taken towards the organization of the Pike County Chapter of the American Red Cross. As a result of the action there taken, authority to organize the Pike County (Illinois) Chapter of the American Red Cross was granted to the following named women : Chairman, Miss Maude Moreland; secretary, Mrs. W. E. Shastid; and Mrs. V. S. King. Mrs. Belle S. Hirsheimer, Miss Marian Hirsheimer, Mrs. Sara D. Foreman, Mrs. Mollie Gray Bush, Miss Helen L. Carey, Miss Hester C. Watson, Mrs. Clara L. Doocy, and Mrs. Caroline B. Carey. Pursuant to the authority granted them, these ladies met on May 31, 1917, and completed the organization of the Chapter by selecting the following permanent officers: Chairman, Geo. C. Weaver; vice-chairman, Win. Mumford; secretary, Mrs. Belle S. Hirsheimer; treasurer, R. T. Hicks. Directors: Judge Harry Higbee, Dr: W. E. Shastid, Dr. S. B. Peacock, Rev. Fenton Bartine, Sam Brunswick, E. J. Strauss. J. D. Dutton, Gus Keintzle, M. D. King, B. H. Swan, W. E. Williams, Miss Maude Moreland, Mrs. Lucia Bates, Mrs. Geo. Kelley, Mrs. Sam Knox, Mrs. Helen L. Grigsby, Mrs. Caroline B. Carey, Mrs. Audelia McFaddin and Miss Pauline Seigle. The chairman appointed the following Executive Board: Ray N. Anderson. Fenton Bartine, Helen L. Grigsby, Caroline B. Carey and Maude Moreland. The territorial jurisdiction of the Chapter was Pike County, except Griggsville and Flint townships. Branch Chapters were formed at Chambersburg. Detroit, Milton, Pearl, Perry, Time, Nebo, Fish Hook, New Salem, Baylis, Martinsburg, Pleasant Hill, El Dara, Summer Hill, Barry, New Canton, Rockport, Kinderhook, Hull and Ross. The following officers have served the Chapter and different Branches:
Chairman: Geo. C. Weaver, May 31, 1917, to May 18, 1918; A. Clay Williams, May 18, 1918, to date.
Vice-Chairman: William Mumford.
Secretary: Mrs. Belle S. Hirsheimer, May 31 to Oct. 1, 1917; Miss -Josie McMahon, Oct. 1, 1917, to date.
Treasurer: R. T. Hicks, Ed. F. White, Merle S. Barber, Clark Armentrout.
Executive Board: A. Clay Williams, William Mumford, Josie McMahon, Clark Armentrout, Henry Bush, Judge P. F. Grote, Mrs. Maud Higbee, Mrs. Carrie B. Carey, Mrs. Helen L. Grigsby.
Board of Directors: Judge Harry Higbee, Dr. S. B. Peacock, Miss Pearl Vertrees, Mrs. Helen Grigsby, Clark Armentrout, Mrs. Edna Weaver, Mrs. Helen Kelley, A. Clay Williams, Judge Paul Grote, Mrs. Clara Doocy, Miss Pauline Siegle, Miss Josie McMahon, M. D. King, Miss Minnie Hall, Mrs. Maud Higbee, William Mumford, Harry S. Miller, Mrs. Mary Sheppard, Henry Bush, Mrs. Carrie B. Carey. Judge B. H. Swan, Ed. F. White, E. J. Strauss, Augustus Kientzle.
Chairmen of Departments: Purchasing, Mrs. Blanche P. Williams; Hospital Supplies, Mrs. Carrie B. Carey; Refugee Relief Work, Mrs. Helen L. Grigsby; Belgian Relief, Henry Bush; Survey Nursing Resources, Mrs. Claudia Fortune; Home Service, N. L. Eddy.
Following is the list of local branches in the county, chairmen and secretaries of each, and largest membership at any one time:
Barry : Chairman, Dr. R. H. Main; secretary, Mrs. Clara B. Spann; membership, 1,131.
Baylis: Chairman, G. E. Stauffer; secretary, Mrs. J. M. Witham; membership, 425.
Chambersburg: Chairman, Mrs. W. A. Lidgard. Mrs. Orpha Talbert; secretary, Mrs. Gertrude Hume, Mrs. Eva Bushfield, Mrs. Pearl Metz: membership, 266.
Detroit: Chairman, V. D. Scarborough; secretary, Mrs. R. E. Rush; membership, 549.
El Dara: Chairman. Rev. J. D. Dabney, E. A. Thomas: secretary. Mrs. B. H. Boyd, Mrs. Connie Robertson; membership, 323.
Fish Hook : Chairman, J. E. Collins; secretary, Dr. W. F. Bowman: membership, 310.
Hardin: Chairman, Mrs. Eugene Bagby; secretary, Mrs. Lucy McFaddin, Miss Lena Willard; membership, 410.
Hull: Chairman, J. T. Lacy; secretary, Mrs. Lillie Kirby; membership, 565.
Kinderhook: Chairman, R. T. Piper, George Preble; secretary, Mrs. Echo Pearson, Mrs. Jennie McCarrel; membership, 529.
Levee: Chairman, Mrs. Elizabeth True; secretary, Mrs. Fannie Hawarth; membership, 59.
Martinsburg: Chairman, J. S. Roberts; secretary, C. H. Cooper; membership, 260.
Milton: Chairman, Dr. J. L Doss; secretary, Mrs. Margaret French; membership, 364.
Nebo: Chairman, Mrs. C. H. Bush; secretary, Mrs. C. R. Barnes; membership, 804.
New Canton: Chairman, Mrs. Elizabeth Atkinson. R. M. Atkinson: secretary. Mrs. C. L. Hopkins, Miss Fay Monroe: membership. 687.
New Salem: Chairman, L. B. Campbell; secretary, Mrs. Bessie Wyrna , membership, 148.
Pearl: Chairman, L. M. Paricho; secretary, Mrs. Z. G. Thurman; membership, 294.
Perry: Chairman, M. H. Browning; secretary, Miss Ora Higgins, Mrs. Eva Dorsey; membership, 609.
Pleasant Hill: Chairman, Edgar Voshall; secretary, Mrs. Alta Wells; membership. 702.
Rockport : Chairman, Mrs. Helen Gay,. Mary L. Horton: secretary, Mrs. J. C. Gay; Membership, 578.
Summer Hill: Chairman,Dr. Mary H. Aiten; secretary, Warren. Dean; membership, 395.
Pittsfield: Chairman, A. Clay Williams; secretary, Miss Josie-McMahon:. membership,, 1,924.
As each Branch was permitted to retain all its funds save that portion of membership dues which had to be forwarded to National Headquarters, the amount of money raised by the Chapter can not be determined.
The war work done by the Chapter is classified under the different departments, and- was as follows
Henry Bush, chairman. During the war 7,249 pounds of clothing ryas collected and, sent to Belgium and France for the refugees from those countries.
Mrs. Caroline B. Carey, chairman. A committee of five was appointed in July, 1917, to establish a Chapter work room for making Red Cross hospital supplies, and to promote this work in the various Branches throughout the county. The committee organized as follows: Mrs. Caroline B. Carey, chairman; Mrs. A. T. Jex, superintendent of work room; Mrs. A. Clay Williams, chairman of purchasing department; Mrs. W. H. Pringle, chair? man of cutting department; Mrs. Seldon Foreman, chairman of packing and shipping department. These chairmen had the privilege of adding any needed number to their departments.
Inquiries in regard to making hospital supplies sent to the Quincy Red Cross brought several of the Quincy workers to Pittsfield with sample garments and many helpful suggestions for carrying on the work. Rooms and equipment were donated and work began Aug. 15, 1917. Committees from different Branches came to the Chapter work rooms to select garments for their committees to specialize on. The finished work from the Branches was sent to Chapter Headquarters to be inspected. packed and shipped to Central Division Headquarters in Chicago.
At the beginning each work room worked independent of orders, but as the National Red Cross became better organized, quotas for required numbers of garments were sent to the Chapter and these quotas were divided among the different Branch work rooms according to the number of workers and the amount of money in the Branch treasuries. During the period hospital supplies were made, the following articles were sent to Chicago: 1,393 suits pajamas. 1,140 bed shirts. 492 pairs bed socks. 219 convalescent robes. 1,942 slings. 159 bed jackets, 166 pairs operating leggings, 64 operating gowns, 1,117 towels, 51 helpless case shirts, 4 sheets, 160 abdominal bands, 118 undershirts, 400 property bags, and 142 nightingales. Many clubs in the county made handkerchiefs, napkins and tray cloths from old linen in addition to the work done in the work rooms.
In the twenty work rooms in the county there was an average attendance of 15 workers, who worked from one-half to two days a week. The work was graded in Class "A" at Division I headquarters and Pike County was rated as one of those Chapters whose work was not re-inspected at Chicago.
Mrs. A. Clay Williams, chairman. When the Chapter began the making of hospital supplies and knitted articles for the soldiers in the summer of 1917, Central Division Headquarters at Chicago requested that all materials possible be purchased locally. The Branches were notified to do the same; consequently, in a few months Pike County was stripped of outing flannel, muslin, toweling and yarn. In the early fall of 1917, conditions improved, and certain materials could be secured from Headquarters. The National Red Cross bought the entire production of numerous mills of the materials it required for the garments to be made, and Chapters secured the same at cost. At this time Chapters were permitted to make anything they chose. The Branches ordered through the Chapter; the material was shipped direct to the Branch from Chicago and the bill sent to the Chapter, and forwarded to the Branch by the chairman of the purchasing department. In that way the Division held the Chapter responsible for all purchases in the county.
In March, 1915; a new system was inaugurated by the National Red Cross, and carried out by the various Divisions, the main object of which was to prevent over-production of any one garment. Quotas of garments needed most were sent to the Chapters, also the amount of material it would require, and a stated time was given in which to complete it. The material was requisitioned by the Chapter from the Central Division and sent direct to the Chapter. and it, in turn, apportioned the work among its twenty Branches, according to the number of workers in each. The bills for these quotas were sent to the Chapter, "OK.d" by the chairman of the purchasing committee, and a draft forwarded to Chicago by the secretary. An account was opened with each Branch. and the first of each month a statement was sent out by the chairman of the purchasing committee for the materials sent the Branch during the month. Over $6,000 was paid out by .the Pike County Chapter alone for hospital materials and yarn, and this did not include what the Branches paid for materials purchased locally and from other sources before the rule of ordering all goods from Chicago Headquarters through the Chapter was effective.
The knitting for the county was under the supervision of Mrs. A. Clay Williams. The work was greatly retarded by the scarcity of yarn. The women were so anxious to knit, knowing the need of warm garments for our boys, that some yarn was purchased from other sources than the Red Cross, though Headquarters did not approve of it. Finally, in November, 1917, an order came "to spend no more Red Cross money in purchasing materials except from the Divisional Headquarters," and the knitting was at a standstill for many months. Some time in the month of January, yarn became more plentiful, and from then on could be procured in almost any amount.
It was never any trouble to dispose of the yarn. The women seemed so eager to do this work, and many an old lady did glorious service for her country in the stitches she lovingly knit for our soldiers. Roughly speaking, fully 3,000 knitted articles were shipped from Pike County Chapter to the Central Division Headquarters in the year that the knitting was done.
Mrs. Helen L. Grigsby, chairman. This work was at first all donation work and the garments all made from scraps of cloth from the Red Cross work rooms, and from materials donated by individuals, societies, clubs, etc. The Woman's Club of Pittsfield devoted Tuesday of each week to this work, and the Chapter work room was given over to them on that day. Under this system the following articles were made and shipped : 920 quilts, 302 pairs of bootees, 275 hoods, 103 girls' dresses, 450 gun wipes, and 437 miscellaneous women's and children's garments.
In August, 1918. Headquarters allotted a certain quota of this work to each Chapter and material was purchased from Headquarters. This Chapter filled its quota, which was: 1,182 comfort kits, 385 women's chemises, 718 boys' undershirts, 155 women's dress skirts, 288 children's undershirts, 250 girls' dresses and 300 boys' shirts.
All the work done in this department at the Pittsfield work room was done under the auspices of the Woman's Club and on these days the work room was given over to the club.
A. CLAY WILLIAMS,
GEO. C. WEAVER.
By June 1 there had been secured 100 paid memberships. On June 20 a meeting was held to effect a permanent organization, and the following officers were elected : Chairman, W. W. Watson; vice-chairman, Mrs. Rose Weber; secretary, Dr. R. H. Main; treasurer, Miss Bessie Stearns. On June 21 a meeting of the executive committee was held to plan the work of the Branch, and Mrs, Nancy Blair was appointed superintendent of the work room. On Oct. 29, at the regular meeting, a report showed a membership of 639, which had been secured without a campaign of any kind. At this meeting officers were elected as follows : Chairman, Dr. R. H. Main; vice-chairman, W. W. Watson; secretary, Mrs. Clara Spann; treasurer, Miss Bessie Stearns. Mrs. T. A. Retallic was at that time appointed superintendent of the work room.
The Membership Drive held at Christmas time, 1917, added 260 to the roll, and the Membership Drive of July 2, 1918, added 247 new members. The Fund Campaign carried on at the same time resulted in subscriptions to the amount of $3,874.45, which was more than the township's quota by several hundred dollars. The Auction Sale held on July 4 cleared $720.74 for the local branch. The 1918 Christmas Membership Drive netted 601 new members, and gave the local branch second place in the county in number of members.
The work done in the work room during the period of activity totals as follows: Hospital Supply Articles, 1,071; Articles for Refugee Relief, 174; 2 boxes clothing for Belgian Relief; 196 sweaters; 57 helmets; 163 pairs wristlets; 4 scarfs; 90 pairs socks. About 100 of the sweaters were given to the boys from Barry when they went into service or were sent to them after they arrived in camp.
When the work of the Branch ended in November, 1918, there was on hand in the treasury $2,409.14, and on October 30, 1919, a balance of $2,660.79. The local organization has been doing relief work in the community since the end of the war, and has cared for several needy cases. The memberships have been kept up by the payment of dues from the treasury. The balance in the treasury on Sept. 1, 1920, was $1,776.15.
The Baylis Branch of the Pike County Red Cross Chapter was organized Sept. 20, 1917, by County Chairman Geo. C. Weaver, with a membership of more than fifty, and the following officers: Chairman, G. E. Stauffer, Jr.; vice-chairman, Sam Grammer; secretary, Mary E. Witham; treasurer, Kate B. Peacock; member Executive Board, R. H. Sykes. On Oct. 10th we secured the La Crosse bungalow for a work room, and Mrs. R. H. Sykes was selected as chairman of the sewing department. A meeting was held once each week on Wednesday afternoons. In the fall of 1918 the work room was moved to the Ida Fish store room, the use of both rooms being donated by the owners.
Mrs. Sallie Tournear was placed in charge of the cutting department, assisted by Mrs. Kura Henry and Miss Mary Fee. Mrs. Mame Boyd was selected as chairman of the knitting department. Mrs. Louisa Grammer was chairman of the soliciting committee. The allotment for the Branch in the drive starting May 20, 1918, was $750, and the chairman with his able assistants raised $844 in four days, every dollar being in cash, without a single pledge.
In the June drive for members in 1918 the Branch secured 197 members, also 58 juniors. At the close of the year 1918 we had 419 members and 65 juniors. The membership for the year 1919 was 247. During, the time the organization was active there was delivered to county headquarters 91 knitted garments, 333 garments from sewing room, 667 garments for Belgian Relief.
Among some of onr liberal contributions to the local funds were: An auction given in April, 1918, by the Rebekah Lodge, netting $216; from moving picture shows, $121; from pie supper by schools, $61. No call for funds went unheeded, as the Red Cross was our "pet" organization and our people were most liberal in responding. The total amount of cash received was $1,410.57. The amount paid out was $677.99, leaving a balance of $735.58. The territory included in the Baylis district was the east half of Hadley township, and Precinct 2 of New Salem township.
The Chambersburg Branch of the Pike County Chapter, American Red Cross, was organized, with the assistance of County Chairman Geo. C. Weaver, in June, 1917. Mrs. W. A. Lidgard was elected chairman, and Mrs. Mame Pool treasurer. We had only ten names for our charter, but the branch grew and at one time had 266 members. It also became very active in all the branches of work that were done by the Red Cross. We paid to Pittsfield for yarn, outing flannel and for other general expenses, $649.69. We have a balance in the Chambersburg bank of $655.84, which money was raised by various means, such as the big July Fourth sale in 1918, and by serving dinners at public sales.
We did all kinds of work asked by the Council of Defense, registration of women, and child welfare work. After the work for the American Army was over. we did much sewing for the Belgian Relief. Mrs. Lidgard was chairman through the first and second Red Cross drives. In the second drive our apportionment was $500, and we raised $473. This made a total of $1,798.53 which was raised by the Branch during its work.
During the second year of the life of this Branch, Mrs. Orpha Talbert was chairman and Mrs. Pool continued as treasurer.
The El Dara Branch of the Pike County Red Cross Chapter was organized Aug. 11, 1917, with a membership of 50, and the officers elected were: Chairman, Rev. J. D. Dabney; vice-chairman, Rev. J. D. Shooh; secretary, Mrs. Bert Boyd; treasurer, Wm. Easley. Charley Robinson was selected as the fifth member of the Executive Board. In September, 1917, Rev. Shooh was transferred to another field and the Rev. A. E. Thomas, who received the appointment here, was elected to fill the vacancy, becoming vice-chairman January 29, 1918. Wm. Easley resigned as treasurer and Mrs. J. D. Morehead was elected to fill this vacancy.
On September 20, 1917, two standing committees were appointed. P. A. Moyer, Charley Robinson, Mary Easley and Grace Taylor were made the soliciting committee; Mrs. Lola Chamberlain, Mrs. Elizabeth Henry, Mrs Dee Wallace, Mrs. Iva Hurst and Miss Neva Shannahan constituted the work room committee. Mrs. Lola Chamberlain, being the chairman of the committee, became superintendent of the work room; Mrs. Henry, superintendent of the knitting; Mrs. Dee Wallace superintendent of the cutting-, and Mrs. Iva Hurst superintendent of the purchasing committee. The directors and superintendents associated with them such assistants as were especially interested in the various departments of the work. The marvelous success of the El Dara Branch attests the fidelity of the women.
The fact that not one of the finished articles sent to Pittsfield was rejected, is evidence of their skill.
The total membership of the Branch was 770. The work room was located in the Jones building, and it was open two days of each week.
At the last meeting, which was held March 5, 1919, there was a balance in the treasury of $542.21. There is also some material on hand, and the Branch is ready for any emergency which may arise. At this last meeting the officers were elected as follows: Chairman, Rev. A. E. Thomas; vice-chairman. Rev. J. D. Dabney; secretary, Mrs. C. S. Robinson; treasurer, Mrs. J. D. Morehead. The chairman and vice-chairman have both left El Dara since that time, but a committee has been selected to act with the secretary and treasurer in case of an emergency. The committee is: Mrs. Ray Ownhy, Mrs. L. W. Chamberlain, Mrs. Elizabeth Henry and Mrs. Dee Wallace.
The Fish Hook Branch of the Red Cross was organized September 25, 1917, the following officers elected and department heads appointed : Chairman, J. E. Collins; vice- chairman, A. B. Bowman; secretary, Dr. W. F. Bowman; treasurer, Mrs. Mary Henthorn; member of County Executive Board, Mrs. Emma Potter; member of County Board of Directors, Mrs. Carrie Davis; superintendent of work room, Mrs. Lena Bowman; chairman of knitting department, Mrs. Geo. Kistner; chairman of cutting department, Mrs. Julia Bowman: inspector of work, Mrs. Mary Henthorn; shipper, Mrs. Myrtle Faris.
There was but one drive during our period of war activities, or at least our books show but one in which we participated. In the drive of August, 1918. we secured $132.33, which was turned over to the authorized agents of the county organization.
The Fish Hook Branch contributed the following articles to the County Chapter: 23 sweaters, 6 scarfs, 107 wash cloths, 47 suits pajamas, 90 slings, 49 handkerchiefs, 15 napkins, 8 helmets, 30 quilts, 21 pairs wristlets, 107 towels, 82 pairs socks, 15 comfort kits, 12 pairs bed socks. 14 pairs operating leggings, 2 packages eye wipers.
We should not fail to state that the I. O. O. F. Lodge furnished us with fuel and gave us the free use of the lodge hall for a work room. The Red Cross workers of Fish Hook were very faithful in attendance. The branch had 196 yearly members, but no life members.
The Hardin Branch of the Red Cross was organized September 30, 1917, by Mr. Geo. C. Weaver, with the following officers in charge: Chairman, Mrs. Eugene Bagby; vice- chairman, Mrs. Lillie E. Scott; secretary, Mrs. Lucy MeFaddin; treasurer, P. W. Thomas; director, Mrs. Ina Turnbeaugh. The first membership campaign resulted in a membership of 307. At this time it was arranged to hold the meetings in the homes of the members. Belgian Relief work was first taken up. Later in the year a work room was secured and the relief work dropped, hospital supplies and knitting being more needed at that time.
On August 24, 1918, a Red Cross sale was held, the proceeds of which Amounted to nearly $500. Other funds for our Branch were obtained by farm sale lunches, entertainments, etc. Miss Esther Norton took pictures of the members at the work room, sold them at ten cents each, and turned the proceeds over to the local treasury.
On October 1, 1918, the first year's work ended and an election of officers resulted as follows: Chairman, Mrs. Lillie E. Scott, vice-chairman. Mrs. Melinda Thomas; secretary and treasurer, Miss Lena Willard. We at once had a new membership drive and secured 200 members. A drive for Belgian Relief resulted in the contribution of 140 articles of clothing. The Belgian Relief sewing was taken up.
During the two years' work finished goods sent to county headquarters was as follows: 309 articles of hospital supplies, 350 articles for Belgian Relief, 225 knitted articles.
The three banner solicitors in the membership drives were: Frank Norton, Mrs. Eva Yokem, Herbert Graham. The following persons also took an active part in the soliciting for members, donations, etc.: Ila Willard, Margaret Durr-, Ruth Kemener, May Bauer, Cora Ramson, Otis Yokem, Opal Foster, Katherine Bagby, Iva Stickman, Louellla Schemel, Faye Ramson, Hazel Main, Mabel Hayden, Lucile Cunningham, Lena Willard, Mattie Bauer, Anna Kern, May Yaeger, Ina Turnbeaugh, Lettie Willard, Ora Willard, Dora Schemel, Arthur Koontz.
Quite a number of families were 100 per cent in membership. Mrs. Eliza Bauer, a lady of 80 years, completed five sweaters in one week, and was a most willing worker when we could get yarn.
The end of the second year of work slowed a balance in the treasury of $538.
The first move in the organization of the Hull Branch of Pike County Chapter, American Red Cross, was made September 24, 1917, by George C. Weaver of Pittsfield, county chairman. It was followed a week later by a boost from A. Clay Williams, which resulted in the organization of the Hull Branch with J. F. Lacy chairman, G. W. Lawrence vice-chairman, W. H. Lease, treasurer, and Mrs. Lillie Kirby secretary. Mrs. Addie Aylshire was appointed head of the sewing room, assisted by Mrs. R. Cadwallader, with Mrs. E. Davidson and Mrs. A. Lawrence cutters and Mrs. J. Ripple instructor in knitting.
The membership was soon increased to 450. A room was at first furnished by G. W. Lawrence and fuel by J. H. Kirby, but later the town board furnished a room, lights and fuel for the work room. One thousand articles, including the knitted garments, were made and shipped.
At no time was the work hindered by lack of funds to purchase the necessary material. Ladies from the country, who could not come to work, sent in donations; and the men saw that the treasury was always full. Sometimes strangers, passing by and seeing the Red Cross emblem, would stop and contribute to the fund. The Belgian Relief Fund received due support, and several local families in straitened circumstances were assisted by the organization.
The Kinderhook Branch of the Pike County Chapter, American Red Cross, was organized July 17, 1917, with R. T. Piper as chairman ; Mrs. Echo Pearson, secretary; Mrs. Carrie Gose, vice-chairman; Mrs. Gertrude Hinds, treasurer. For the year 1918-19 G. E. Preble was elected chairman and Mrs. Jennie McCarrel secretary.
The number of yearly members in January, 1919, was 234. There was received during the period of activities of the Branch $150 in donations and $590 from benefits of different kinds.
The work completed in the local work room and sent to Pittsfield was as follows: 40 sweaters, 117 pairs pajamas, 34 bed shirts, 16 pairs bed socks, 35 pairs knitted socks, 10 pairs wristlets, 10 knitted helmets, 12 wash cloths, 10 quilts, 37 handkerchiefs, 59 napkins, 20 barracks bags. 33 dish towels, 30 pairs of boys' drawers, 36 refugee shirts.
The Levee Branch of the Pike County Red Cross was organized in the summer of 1917 with the following officers: Chairman, Mrs. Elizabeth Trew; vice-chairman, Lola Scoville; secretary, Fanny Howarth; treasurer, Mary J. Stolte.
The largest number of members at any one time was 59. Because of the small number of people living in this district and the lack of a place for a work room, there was no work in this line done in this Branch. Miss Maggie McGary, teacher of the Bird Slough School, gave a Red Cross sale at the Sni E'Carte Clubhouse April 19, 1918, and raised $115.40. The Red Cross served lunch June 28,1918, and made $18.10. All other money was that collected for Red Cross memberships.
The Martinsburg Branch of the Pike County Red Cross Chapter was organized January 9, 1918, with the following officers: Chairman, J. S. Roberts; vice-chairman, Frank Lard; secretary, C. H. Cooper; treasurer, Mrs. A. D. Barton, the latter succeeded by Mrs. Cleon Kinnamon; member of county executive board, Mrs. C. H. Cooper; member executive committee, Mrs. John Aiten; inspection committee, Mrs. Isaac Aiten, Mrs. J. S. Roberts, Mrs, Arthur Stone; purchasing committee: Mrs. E. D. Barton, Mrs. Arthur Stone, Mrs. J. S. Roberts, Mrs. Isaac Aton; membership committee: Mrs. Cleon Kinnamon, Mrs. James Lane, Jr., Mrs. Thos. Briscoe, Mrs. Henry Butler, Mrs. Guy Pyle, Ruth Roberts, Gerdie Ward.
The total membership of the Branch was 241. The amount of money raised was $1,088.80. The following work was finished and sent to Pittsfield during the period of activity: 51 towels, 51 slings, 35 property bags, 75 comfort kits, 161 garments, 22 sweaters, 7 pairs socks, 24 quilts, 10 dresses, 5 pairs stockings, 5 sweaters, 1 shawl.
The Montezuma Branch of Pike Chapter of the American Red Cross was organized July 17, 1917, with the following officers: Dr. J. 1. Doss, chairman; Mrs. Margaret French, secretary; Dr. Frank Johnston, treasurer. The above named officers are still serving the Branch, having been re-elected.
Immediately after organization a drive was started for membership and resulted in quite an increase. But in the Christmas Drive of 1917 we had the honor of making the greatest per cent of gain of any Branch in the county, winning the Red Cross Service Flag offered by the Pike County Chapter,Under the very efficient management of the superintendent, Mrs. Hattie Boren, the following work was accomplished: 50 pairs socks, 8 scarfs. 14 comfort kits, 70 hospital bed shirts, 2 rolls linen, 4 baby shirts, 97 sweaters, 95 pairs wristlets, 9 helmets, 296 suits pajamas, 47 pairs bed socks, 13 housewives, 100 comfort bags, 13 shirts, 14 dresses, 4 shoulder capes, 14 slings, 600 gun wipes, 62 handkerchiefs, 74 baby quilts, 5 baby jackets, 9 caps, 11 pairs bootees, 11 pairs stockings.
Too much praise cannot be given Mrs. Boren for the manner in which she conducted her department. She gave her time without stint and with the aid of a great number of faithful women accomplished all that was asked of her by the County Chapter.
About July 1, 1917, C. R. Barnes, editor of the Nebo Banner, and Dr. J. R. Pollock took up with Geo. C. Weaver, chairman of the Pike County Chapter, the question of the organization of a local Branch of the Red Cross for Nebo. The result was a mass meeting called, and twelve members were secured as a temporary committee, and were granted authority to form a Branch of the Pike County Chapter of the American Red Cross. A meeting was held July 20, 1917, and the following permanent officers were elected : Chairman, MMrs. Chas. H. Bush; vice-chairman, Mrs. J. D. Harpole; secretary, Mrs. C. R. Barnes; treasurer, Mrs. C. E. Swayne. C. E. Swayne was elected as director to go to the County Chapter. Mrs. L. A. Roberts was elected to serve on the Executive Committee with the other officers. Mrs. Bush was also superintendent of the work room, and Mrs. C. R. Barnes was appointed chairman of the knitting- department. All the officers served during the period of the war and still have charge of the local Branch.
The women were very faithful and worked hard sewing, knitting, holding suppers, bazaars, luncheons, sales and picture shows to raise money. The membership grew to 782 the first year, and at the end of the first year, July 20, 1918, we had on hand a balance of $1,052.57; in addition had forwarded to Pittsfield 986 articles of wearing apparel and hospital supplies, including 302 knitted pieces.
At the end of the second year, July 20, 1919, we had on band a balance of $1,140.12, and had sent to the County Chapter 3,334 garments, 165 of which were knitted articles, besides 600 pounds of clothing sent to the Belgian Relief. The attendance at the work room the first year averaged 18. The attendance the second year averaged 15.
We had several clubs in the country which met each week and worked faithfully in making hospital supplies, refugee work, and knitting. Our township was very patriotic and liberal. We never failed to raise our quotas, and went "over the top in every drive.
The local Branch of the Red Cross for Precinct 1 of New Salem Township was organized for the village of New Salem in the fall of 1917. The officers elected were as follows; Chairman, Mrs. L. B. Campbell; vice-chairman, S. L. Griggs; secretary, Mrs. Bessie Wyreman; treasurer, Mrs. Jessie Campbell. Mrs. Shaffner was appointed superintendent of the work room with Miss Nettie Laird and Mrs. Leah Hillman; Superintendent of cutting, Mrs. J. B. Norton; assistants, Mrs. John Black, Mrs. Harley Dunham, Miss Emma Hall; work room secretary, Mrs. Clarence Irwin; assistant, Mrs. Grace Woodward. Mrs. Abbie Dean was superintendent of the knitting department, with Mrs. Fidelia Girard and Mrs. Frances Moore as assistants. Mrs. Jessie Campbell was in charge of the buying committee, with Mrs. Lucy Shrigley as assistant. Miss Nellie Dean was appointed to get the knitted sets ready to mail when called for, and also to pack the Christmas boxes.
The work room of the local Branch was the church parlor of the Universalist Church, which was furnished free of charge. New Salem furnished its quota in all calls for hospital supplies, knitted articles and refugee relief garments. As each draft contingent left the county, the local Branch presented each man from New Salem with knitted sweaters and helmets, 21 sets being given out in this way. The money for the yarn was all donated by home people. The greater part of all the war work in New Salem was handled through the Red Cross organization, and the record made in each campaign was very good. The first Y. M. C. A. drive was oversubscribed; the second Red Cross drive was put over the top; the Salvation Army Campaign more than over; the United War Work Campaign away over, and each one of the Five Liberty Loans, and the War Savings campaigns also.
The Pearl Branch of the Pike County Chapter, American Red Cross, was organized Sept. 6, 1917, with the following officers: Chairman. L. M. Parisho; secretary, Zulah G. Thurman: treasurer. .Mrs. Kate Meisenba.ch. .A report rendered on Sept. 6, 1918, for the first year's work showed that a total of 5642.78 had been received from membership clues the townships share donations, sales. etc. There had been expended for various purposes 8199.41. leaving a balance of $433.37. 1,7p to that date there had been completed and sent to Pittsfield 25 sweaters, 6 pairs wristlets, I pair socks, 2 wash cloths, 22 property bags, 2 scarfs, 20 suits of pajamas, 12 hospital shirts, 15 filled comfort kits.
No report has been received for work since that time, hot more work was done, and at the time of the report several quilts were being made. The largest number of members at any one time was 294.
A movement to organize a Perry Branch of the Pike County Red Cross Chapter was started by Miss Grace Daigh in May, 1917, when about a dozen members were secured. July 4th was celebrated by Perry community, and a special canvass for members, directed by J. C. Baker, was made that day, resulting in an increase to about fifty members. No further action was taken until a meeting was called September first for the election of officers. This election resulted as follows: Chairman, J. R. Sims; vice-chairman, Mrs. Eva Dorsey; secretary, Miss Ora Higgins; treasurer, Mrs. Lila Gregory.
For the first year the organization devoted its activities wholly to knitting, under the direction of two tireless leaders, Miss Ora Higgins and Mrs. Alice Bengelman. With increasing: membership, donations, etc., the funds were sufficient, but as the membership still grew, demand for more work and different kinds of work called for more money. A community sale was held in August, 1918, which not only added $1,500 to the treasury, but also served to unify the work and workers of the entire township. The work then done consisted of all kinds of knitted garments, hospital shirts, refugees' shirts and drawers. A donation of 700 pounds of good clothing for men, women and children was sent from here to the refugee relief organization.
At the close of the war the membership numbered 403, and the Christmas drive of 1918 increased it to 425. Of this number 50 have been magazine subscribers, and one, H. T. Armentrout, is a life member. The society closed the year with M. H. Browning chairman, Mrs. A. J. McLaughlin vice-chairman, Mrs. Eva Dorsey secretary, and Mrs. Lila Gregory treasurer. The "Armistice Week" campaign for members was held in November, 1919, and it is the aim of the officers and members to keep the Branch active for any future work in its line that may come up.
The move for organizing a local Red Cross Branch in Pleasant Hill was started by Mrs. Ada S. Bybee, she circulating and securing the required number of signers to the petition, after which the Branch was organized, with the officers: Chairman, Edgar Voshall; Vice-chairman, T. E. Gurney; secretary, C. C. Thomas; treasurer, Alta C. Wells. Three hundred and sixty-five members were secured in 1917.
The women organized and opened their work room in September, 1917, with Mrs. T. E. Gurney as superintendent of the sewing department and Mrs. Lou Bower as assistant. The knitting was supervised by Mrs. Mollie S. Thomas. These women had the co-operation of a goodly number of others, and from their faithful efforts were turned out and shipped 879 articles from the sewing department, 140 articles from the knitting department, besides a great many articles made and sold locally at sales and bazars, the money from all these being turned in to the general fund of the local Branch. The women made their first shipment Nov. 7, 1917, and ceased work in February, 1919.
The officers of the society for 1918 were elected in July, and all old officers held over except the secretary, who was succeeded by Minnie E. Guthrie. The second drive for membership was made in July, 1918, and resulted in raising the roll to 491. The Christmas campaign made in December, 1918, resulted in the signing up of 309 members.
The amount raised from memberships was $1,167. and by drives, sales, donations, etc., $2,540.12. To this fund people contributed readily and liberally, several parties giving $50; others giving hogs, and everyone doing their bit as best they could. The total amount raised for the general fund was $3,707.12.
The Griggsville Chapter of the American Red Cross was organized May 17, 1917, with the following officers, who are the present ones, with the exception of the secretary, who is now Rev. G. P. Burdon, Mr. Dew Brittain having moved away: Chairman, John S. Felmley; vice-chairman, W. O. Cunningham; secretary, J. H. Dew Brittain; treasurer, Fred H. Farrand. Executive Committee: Mrs. Anna E. Shoemaker, Mrs. Eva N. Conklin, Mrs. Margaret T. Yates, Fred A. Stone and Harold S. Hunter.
This was the first Chapter organized in Pike County and, while its jurisdiction extended over the townships of Flint and Griggsville, with a population of about 2,500, it acquired a membership of about 750, nearly one-third of the population. This membership was very active and enthusiastic and it excelled in all branches of the work.
Our quota for the second Red Cross drive was $3,500, and we raised over $3,200, going 50 per cent over the top: We also had $3,775 donated to us for the use of the local chapter, thus making the amount raised for the work nearly $9,000.
Under the capable management of Mrs. Charles H. Sparrow, chairman of the sewing department, the ladies of the Chapter made several thousand bandages and other articles. Under the direction of Mrs. S. M. Stead and Mrs. Zula Stone the ladies also knitted a great many sweaters and socks—nearly as many, in fact, as the rest of the county.
In the epidemic of influenza in the winter of 1918 the Chapter, through its committee, furnished nurses and free meals to families that were in need of them, and is at present aiding the invalided and sick soldiers to obtain their allotments from the Government.
There were branches of the Pike County Chapter in Detroit Township, New Canton, Rockport and Summer Hill, in addition to the ones represented, but no reports have been received from the latter four. No special report was made for the Pittsfield Branch, as its work was included with the whole of the Pike County Chapter, and no separate records kept.