Genealogy Trails - Pike County, Illinois
Volunteers Dedicated to Free Genealogy
Real Data - Always Free & Always Updating!
This is the most southeastern township of the county. It is mostly timbered land, with a small strip of prairie land near its center. It is bounded on the east by the Illinois river, and a greater part of the township is very rough, and is adapted principally to stock-raising. The first settlers to locate within its borders came about 1824 or 1825, and were A. Perkins, J. R. Ottwell, William Pruett and John Ottwell. The first improvements were made on sections 15 and 27. Among the more prominent early settlers of the township were Thomas S. Long, Thomas Lumley and William Camerer. The first child born in the township was John Ottwell, and the first person to die was Thomas Murray. The first parties married were William Ottwell and Miss Rachel Collins. They were united by Rev. Mr. Osborn, a Baptist minister, who also preached the first sermon in the township, in 1829, in the house of John Ottwell. The first school house was erected in 1837 on section 28. The first church was built in 1867. The first Justice of the Peace was James McConnell.
Pearl: The village of Pearl is quite an old town, and is situated on sections 16, 17 and 20, and contains about 50 inhabitants.
Bee Creek village is situated on Bee creek, section 33, and is about the size of Pearl. It contains a postoffice, a small store, a saw, a flouring mill, a blacksmith shop and a physician.
Bee Creek Mills: This establishment was first built in 1856 as a horse-mill, and in 1857 it was propelled by steam. In 1867 it was torn down and rebuilt by George Schutz. Mr. Wm. Wheeler purchased it the same year and is still its owner. It is now operated by G. W. Roberts, and be it to his credit to say that Mr. Roberts makes the best quality of flour and has a large run of custom. A few years ago people came a distance of 25 miles to this mill. There is also a saw-mill attached to it.
Pearl Station: This is the largest village in the township, containing about 150 inhabitants, and is situated upon the Louisiana branch of the Chicago, Alton & St. Louis railroad. It was surveyed by order of Thomas S. Long, guardian of the heirs of Samuel Fulcher, and is located on the southwest quarter of section 10. It was surveyed in September, 1872, by County Surveyor H. J. Harris.
Chowrow is the name of a little settlement on section 33.
Trinity M. E. Church is located at Pearl Landing on the Illinois river. It was organized in 1856 by Rev. E. Elliott, with six members, at the house of T. H. Lincoln. It was known by the name of Pearl Landing M. E. Church, which name it continued to bear until 1871, when the present church structure was erected. The Society worshiped in Mr. Lincoln's house for two years, when they removed their place of worship to the Pearl Prairie school house. While worshiping at this place the Society was more commonly known as the Pearl Prairie M. E. Church, but was really the same organization. In 1869 the Society moved to the new school-house at Pearl Landing, and in 1871 occupied the present church edifice. Rev. Charles McKown is Pastor
Pearl Prairie Christian Church was organized several years ago, and in 1867 erected a neat house of worship in Pearl on section 20
History of Pike County - Charles M. Chapman 1880
All data on this website is © Copyright
by Genealogy Trails with full rights reserved for original submitters.