John Andrew/Johann Andreas Schuchardt came to America with his parents and siblings at the age of 15. He was the eldest son of John /Johann Michael and Anna Barbara (Muscat) Schuchardt. With Andrew and his parents came siblings Anna Regina “Jane”, John Frederick/Johann Gottfried, and John Charles/ Johann Carl.
John Andrew lived with his parents in Columbus Twp., Adams Co., Illinois until the age of 23. He married Mary Elizabeth Engelhardt on Oct. 28, 1858. At that time he apparently rented a farm in Adams Co. and carried on farming as a renter there for a few years. Three children were born to Andrew and Mary. Antone was born July 29, 1859 in Camp Point, Adams Co., John Franklin “Frank” was born Dec. 18, 1861 in Coatsburg, Adams Co., and Frederick “Fred” was born Mar. 24, 1864 in New Canton, Pike Co. Their mother Mary died Nov. 23, 1865.
On Feb. 4, 1863 Michael purchased land for Andrew in Pleasant Vale Twp. in Pike Co. paying $1,725.00 for this property. This purchase was recorded on May 13, 1863 at the Pike Co. courthouse in Pittsfield, Illinois. The legal description of this property is as follows: The North East Quarter of the North East (should be West) Quarter of Section Five (5) more correctly described as the East Half of Lot 2 of the North subdivision of the North East (should be West) Quarter of Section Five (5), and the North Half of the North East Quarter of Section Five (5), and the South West Quarter of the North East Quarter of Section Five (5) all in Township Five (5) South of Range Six (6) West of the Baseline and of the Fourth Principal Meridian all in the County of Pike and State of Illinois.
On Sept. 11, 1868 Michael and Anna conveyed title to the above land to John Andrew for $1,000.00. The legal description of the property is somewhat different than that on the warranty deed to Michael, but basically the same, and is as follows: The North East Quarter of the North East (should be West) Quarter of Section Five (5) more correctly described as the East Half of Lot Two of the North sub-division of the North West (was correct this time) Quarter of Section Five (5), and the North Half of the North East Quarter of Section Five (5), all in Township Five (5) South of Range Six (6) West of the Baseline and of the Fourth Principal Meridian. The South West Quarter of the North East Quarter of Section Five (5) was erroneously omitted from this legal description.
Andrew had married a Mrs. Mary Ann Hendrickson on Mar. 14, 1868. To this union two children were born. Margaret “Maggie” Jane was born Dec. 1868 and Charles, who was born about 1875, died before 1879. Their mother Mary Ann died May 9, 1879. Then, having married Mrs. Sarah (Morris) House on Sept. 16, 1879, Andrew settled on her farm in Barry Twp., in Pike Co.
On Feb. 10, 1881 Sarah quit claimed the following property to Andrew. This Quit-Claim Deed was filed for record on Feb. 17, 1881. The legal description is as follows: The North West Quarter of the South West Quarter of Section Thirty-two (32) situated in Township Four (4) South of Range Six (6) West of the Fourth Principal Meridian containing 38 acres, and the North East Quarter of the North East Quarter West Half of the North West Quarter of Section Five (5) situated in Township Five (5) South of Range Six (6) West of the Fourth Principal Meridian all in the County of Pike and State of Illinois containing 18 89/100 acres more or less.
On Feb. 21, 1881 Andrew sold his property in Pleasant Vale Twp. to his sons Antone and John Frank for the sum of $1000.00. This warranty deed was filed on Apr. 1, 1881 at the Pike Co. courthouse. The legal description is clear and concise and even gives the acreage involved in the sale. It is the most understandable legal description I have found of the property and is as follows: The North East Quarter of the North East Quarter of Section Five (5) containing forty nine 21/100 acres, and the West Half of the North East Quarter of Section Five (5) containing eighty four 41/100 acres, and the East Half of Lot Two (2) of the North West Quarter of Section Five (5) containing forty nine 19/100 acres, all of the above described lands being in Township Five (5) South of Range Six (6), and the North West Quarter of the South West Quarter of Section Thirty-two (32) in Township Four (4) South of Range Six (6) West in Pike County, State of Illinois.
In 1888 and 1889 a number of deeds were executed and filed for record involving various sales and transfers of parts and parcels of this land. In the end the property in Section Five (5) of Pleasant Vale Twp. was equally divided between Antone and Frank. Antone then owned the South West Quarter of the North East Quarter containing 42 acres more or less, and the East Half of Lot Two (2) of the North West Quarter containing 49 19/100 acres. Frank then owned the North West Quarter of the North East Quarter containing 42 acres more or less, and the North East Quarter of the North East Quarter containing 49 21/100 acres. Frank did end up with title to the North West Quarter of the South West Quarter of Section Thirty-two (32) in Barry Twp. containing 38 acres.
Frank and Eugenia Shewhart lived on the above property until their deaths. After Frank died on Sept. 5, 1937, a grandson Frank Martin, who was the eldest son of Ella (Shewhart) Martin Dolbeare, and his wife Lucile came to live with Eugenia and farm the property for her. Eugenia remained on the farm with Frank and Lucile until her death on Feb. 26, 1945. Frank Martin then purchased the property from Eugenia’s estate.
As an added note, we now know that John Michael died sometime after Sept. 11, 1868 when he and Anna Barbara conveyed title of their Pike Co. property to Andrew, and before Oct. 12, 1869 when Michael’s heirs conveyed the homestead in Adams Co. to Charles, Andrew’s brother. We still do not know the exact date of death or place of burial for Michael.
Contributed by Wilma Shewhart
The Schuchardt family originated in the small village of Höngeda, about 15 miles southeast of Mühlhausen, in (the state of) Thuringen, Prussia. John/Johann Michael Schuchardt (son of Johann Christoph Schuchardt and Anna Regina Hohlstein) and Anna Barbara Muscat (daughter of Johann Michael Muscat and Frederica Wilhelmina Justine Gruning) came to America in the early 1850’s. With John Michael and Anna Barbara came three sons, John Andrew/Johann Andreas, John Frederick/Johann Gottfried, and John Charles/Johann Carl, and a daughter Anna Regina “Jane”. They left their textile mills and came to this country in order to avoid military conscription for their sons. They settled in Pennsylvania for a short time and later came to Illinois by covered wagon settling on a farm in Adams Co. north of Quincy. The family moved still later to a farm in Adams Co. north of Columbus, Illinois. Additional information we have are the names of Johann Christoph Schuchardt’s father, Johann Andreas Schuchardt, and Anna Regina Hohlstein’s father, Johann Christoph Hohlstein. We also know that John Michael’s brother, Johann Georg Schuchardt had two sons that also came to America settling in the Adams - Pike Co. area of Illinois. Christopher Bernard arrived about 1869 and Johann Gottfried (known as Friedrich) arrived about 1880. Both have descendants.
The book Portrait Biographical Album of Pike and Calhoun Counties, Illinois that was published in 1891 states: “Michael bought a tract of timber land three miles northeast of Columbus, a few acres of which were improved and a log cabin stood on the place in which the family made their home. He actively engaged in the pioneer work of further developing his land and resided there many years, finally selling the place he bought for a home near Quincy, and there death ended his mortal career”. We do not know exact date of Michael’s death or place of burial. John Frederick and his family settled near Camp Point in Adams Co., and John Charles remained near Columbus, also in Adams Co. On the 1880 Federal Census for Adams Co., Columbus Twp., Anna Barbara is shown living with son Charles and his family. She apparently lived with them after Michael died until her death on 2 Mar 1883. She is buried in Columbus Cemetery with Charles, his wife Anna Marie, their infant daughter and eight year old son.
The book Portrait Biographical Album of Pike and Calhoun Counties, Illinois also states: “He (being Andrew) lived with his father until he was twenty-three and was of great assistance to him in his farm labors and at the same time gained a good knowledge of agriculture. He married and rented a farm in Adams County, and carried on farming as a renter till 1859. He then came to Pike County, and settled on a tract of land given him by his father, located in Pleasant Vale Township. On that place he resided till 1880, and then having married Mrs. Sarah (Morris) House, settled on her farm in Barry Township”. John Andrew’s obituary tells us that after Sarah’s death on 1 Sept 1909: “Since then he has made his home among the three children--Mrs. Maggie Godfrey (Andrew’s daughter from his second marriage to Mary Hendrickson), Frank, and Antone--he being at the latter’s home at the time of his death”. On the day of his death Andrew was mowing a field of red clover on Antone’s farm and ran over a bumblebee’s nest. The bees stung the team and they ran away throwing Andrew to the ground where they attacked him. Andrew’s death certificate states: “Cause of death -- Stung by bees”. It also states that Andrew died 6 hours after being stung.
John Andrew’s first marriage was to Mary Elizabeth Englehardt 28 Oct 1858 in Quincy, Adams County, Illinois. They had three sons: Antone T. was born near Camp Point in Adams Co. 29 July 1859; John Franklin was born in Coatsburg, Adams Co. 18 Dec 1861; and John Frederick was born in New Canton, Pike Co. 24 Mar 1864. Mary Englehardt died 23 Nov 1865 as a result of a horse and buggy accident. On 14 Mar 1868 John Andrew married Mrs. Mary A. Hendrickson. They had two children: Margaret Jane “Maggie” born about 1868 and Charles born about 1875 who died as a young child. Mary died 9 May 1879 and just four months later, on 16 Sept 1879 Andrew married the aforementioned Mrs. Sarah House. When John Andrew’s two eldest sons, Antone and Franklin went to school their teacher told them that the American way to spell their name was “Shewhart” rather than “Schuhardt”. Accordingly the two boys spelled their names Shewhart and they and their descendants have continued that spelling ever since.
John Franklin Shewhart married Eugenia Gard 24 Feb. 1884. They had five children. All were born in New Canton, Pike Co., Illinois. Evert A. born 7 Aug 1884 who died in infancy, Ella born 2 Nov 1885, Alta born 17 June 1889, Harry Anthony born 17 Mar 1901, and Dorothy Eugenia born 14 Oct 1904. They lived in a farmhouse in Pleasant Vale Twp., Pike Co. on the same road as Antone, an area often referred to as Shewhart Hollow. The house was built on property originally owned by John Andrew, as was Antone’s. It was originally a single story home, but in 1910 a second story was added to the house. Harry Anthony’s children remember their father talking about the building of the second story. This house is still standing and at the present time is being restored. Antone’s house is still standing but is in disrepair. John Frank’s obituary states: “Mr. Shewhart was a successful farmer in the New Canton-Barry community for more than fifty years. He was awake to the progress of better farm methods, and years before the present interest in soil conservation, successfully followed sound principles in this direction. He believed in raising quality livestock and was widely known as a breeder of Aberdeen-Angus cattle”.
Harry Anthony Shewhart graduated from New Canton Grade School on 28 May 1914, and Barry High School on 16 May 1918. He received his Bachelor of Arts degree from the University of Illinois in June 1922. Emily Fidelia Loomis was born in Evanston, Illinois on 28 July 1896. She attended schools in Chicago, Illinois graduating from Ray Grade School on 26 Jan 1912, and from Hyde Park High School in January 1916. She then attended the University of Illinois and received her Bachelor of Arts degree in June 1920. Harry and Emily met and later became engaged while they both were attending the University. In the fall of 1923, Harry entered the Rochester Theological Seminary in Rochester, New York, and, in the summer of 1924, had a charge at Mariah, New York. Emily taught high school mathematics in Westville, Illinois 1920-1921, Paris, Illinois 1921-1922, West Frankfort, Illinois 1922-1923, and Olean, New York 1923-1924. Harry and Emily were married in Chicago on 4 Sept 1924.
Harry received his Bachelor of Divinity degree at Rochester in May 1925. He was received on credentials, Baptist Church, Illinois Conference in May 1925. He was called to the Baptist Church at Villa Grove, Douglas Co., Illinois, and served that church from Sept. 1925-1929. While at Villa Grove three children were born to Harry and Emily: Shirley Jean born 24 Aug 1925, Harry Loomis born 4 Feb 1927, and Lorna Maye born 31 Oct 1928. In 1929 Harry Anthony was called to the First Baptist Church at Marshall, Michigan. While there he attended the divinity school within the University of Chicago and received his Master of Arts Degree in Dec 1931. In early 1933, because of the depression, the Shewhart family moved into a house owned by Harry’s parents, Frank and Eugenia, in the Shewhart Hollow area. For a time Harry Anthony worked with his father on the farm, and later was employed by the government in its relief program. The family moved to Barry, Illinois in late 1935 and lived there almost two years while Harry continued his work for the government. In Nov. 1937 Harry Anthony was called to the Baptist Church in Nokomis, Illinois.
In 1938 Harry Anthony was received on trial in the Methodist Church and, in Sept. of that year, was sent to Sanner Chapel Methodist Church near Moweaqua, Illinois. On 18 Sept 1939 he was received on credentials (voted full connection) to the Illinois Conference of the Methodist Church. He held pastorates at the following Methodist churches in Illinois and served as Chaplain in the United States Air Force as follows:
1939 - 1941 Atwood, Hammond
1942 - 1946 Chaplain in the United States Air Force during which time he was stationed in San Antonio, Texas; Shreveport, Louisiana; England; Laredo, Texas; and Albany, Georgia.
1946 - 1948 Hindsboro, Filson, and Mt. Gilead
1949 - 1950 Stonington
1951 - 1953 Georgetown, Indianola
1954 - 1955 LaPrairie Center, Blue Ridge, and Sparland
1956 - 1960 Colchester, Tennessee
1961 - 1962 Hampton, East Moline
1963 - 1964 Cissna Park, Goodwine
1965 - 1967 Deland, Weldon
1968 - 1969 Loda, Buckley
1969 - Retired and moved to Atwood
1970 - 1973 Garrett - part time until his death
Harry Anthony died on 30 Dec 1973. Emily continued to live in Atwood until her death on 16 Mar 1987. Both are buried at Mackville Cemetery in Atwood, Illinois. Shortly after Emily died, the following items were donated to The Museum Association of Douglas County in Tuscola, Illinois.
1. Trunk that was purchased in the early 1900’s and used by Emily while she attended the University of Illinois
2. Quilt that Emily made during the depression years of the 1930’s
3. Horsehair mattress
4. Antique eyecup
5. Hymnals and books
A few years later, in June 1990, the following items were also donated to the museum.
6. Air Force Uniform worn by Harry Anthony while serving as Chaplain in the U.S. Air Force
7. Trunk used by Harry Anthony while serving in the U.S. Air Force
8. Field Worship Set used by Harry Anthony in England while serving in the U.S. Air Force
In the latter part of 1998, additional items were donated to the museum that belonged to Chaplain Harry Anthony Shewhart. They included the following:
1. Cross and Stole belonging to the Field Worship Set or Chaplain’s Kit pre- viously donated to the museum
2. Helmet with 2 liners and camouflage cover
3. Mess Kit, Canteen, and Belt
5. Officer’s Field Coat
6. V-Mail, Correspondence, Yank Magazines, and Chaplain’s Bulletins
7. Dog Tags and a copy of Certificate of Service
8. Photos of Harry Anthony in uniform
9. Brief biographical sketch of Harry Anthony
10. Numerous miscellaneous items
These items became part of the museum’s World War II exhibit which is periodically put on display.
In the summer of 2004 the following items were donated to the museum that belonged to Harry Anthony Shewhart.
1. Suit purchased when Harry Anthony was in seminary school in Rochester, New York
2. Suit and hat worn by Harry Anthony at the Atwood Centennial in 1973
Harry Anthony and Emily Fidelia have eight grandchildren and ten great grandchildren. One great grandson died at birth. At the present time there are four great, great, grandchildren.
Compiled by Wilma E. Shewhart, wife of Harry Loomis Shewhart – May 2002
Additions and/or revisions – July 2002, Aug. 2002, Oct. 2003, Oct. 2004, Oct. 2006