>

Putnam County, Illinois History and Genealogy
Biographies
H

 


Christian Hartenbower

Henry F. Hartenbower was born in Magnolia township, Putnam County, Illinois, April 11, 1849, a son of Christian and Jerusha (Hiltabrand) Hartenbower. His father was a native of Wittenberg, Germany and his mother was born in Tennessee. They had seven children, six of whom are living, namely: Henry F., George F., Emily, wife of G. J. Williams, of Eagle Grove, Iowa; William F., John E., of Tonica, Illinois and Catherine, the wife of Albert Grant. The father of these children, a farmer by occupation, emigrated to America in 1836, locating in Putnam County, where he followed agricultural pursuits until 1852, and then moved to Hope township, LaSalle County, settling upon a quarter section which he had purchased. To this he subsequently added by further purchases until he had at one time five hundred and seventy acres. It was here that he reared his children and lived until 1886, when he moved to Tonica, where he now lives retired, his son William cultivating the old farm. In his political sympathies he has always been a Democrat, and in public position he has been road commissioner for many years. In religion he and his wife are Baptists.

The paternal grandfather of our subject, Christian Hartenbower, a native of the fatherland, was a shoemaker by trade, and came to America in 1836, settling in Putnam county in Magnolia township, where he followed his trade. He finally died in LaSalle County, at the home of his son, aged about seventy-six years. He had seven children. The maternal grandfather of Mr. Hartenbower, George Hiltabrand, was a native of North Carolina, of German descent, and a farmer by occupation. He emigrated to Illinois in 1829, settling in Putnam County, had a large number of children and died at the old homestead, aged about sixty-eight years.
[Source: Biographical and Genealogical Record of La Salle County, Illinois, Volume 2, Lewis Publishing Company 1900, Biography of Henry F. Hartenbower]


On both the paternal and maternal sides our subject is of German descent and has inherited many of the sterling and reliable qualities of the Teutonic race. His grandfather, Christian Hartenbower, came to the United States from Wertemburg, Germany and settled in Putnam County, Illinois, but died in LaSalle County, about 1875, when almost four-score years of age. He followed the shoemaker's trade in Germany, and in America he gave his attention chiefly to agricultural pursuits. His wife, Catherine Kolbin, died when Christian, Jr., the father of our subject was two years old.

When he was thirteen years of age his parents left their home at Kirchheim, on the Neckar river, in Wertemburg, and came to the New World. He was born February 4, 1825, and on their emigration he accompanied the family and with them became a resident of Putnam County, where he resided for fifteen years. On the expiration of that period he came to LaSalle County, where he purchased eighty acres of land in Hope Township, and as the years passed by he added to his possessions until at one time he owned nearly eight hundred acres of excellent family property. For the past seventeen years he has made his home in Tonica, and for ten years has lived retired from business cares. In former days he was not only engaged in general family, but also bought and shipped livestock.

Seven children blessed the union of Mr. and Mrs. Hartenbower, namely: Henry F.; George F.; William F.; Emily, who is the wife of G. J. Williams of Eagle Grove, Iowa; John E.; Catherine C., wife of A. B. Grant, of LaSalle County; and Simeon, deceased. Mr. and Mrs. Hartenbower are members of the Baptist Church and are held in the highest regard by all who know them.

[Source: Biographical and Genealogical Record of La Salle County, Illinois, Volume 2, Lewis Publishing Company 1900, Biography of John E. Hartenbower]





Henry F. Hartenbower

The gentleman whose name appears above is a leading business man of Tonica, dealing in agricultural implements, threshers and engines. He was born in Magnolia township, Putnam County, Illinois, April 11, 1849, a son of Christian and Jerusha (Hiltabrand) Hartenbower.

Mr. Hartenbower, the subject of this sketch, was brought up in LaSalle county from the year 1852, reared to the heavy duties of the farm, attending the public schools in the winter. When a grown man he rented for himself a farm of one hundred and seventy acres, for six years and then bought a hundred acres in Hope township, which he cultivated till 1889, then sold it and moved into Tonica, where he has since made his home. Here he began work in the employ of the firm of R. A. Radle & Company, in their implement store, and afterward for J. E. Morris, and in 1893 he bought out the stock of Mr. Morris and ran business alone until 1896, when he associated with himself G. W. Hartenbower, since which time the firm name has been H. F. & G. W. Hartenbower. These men have a fine reputation as honest and reliable dealers and industrious and enterprising citizens of their chosen town.

Politically Mr. Hartenbower, our subject has always been a Democrat and in fraternal relations he is a member of Tonica Lodge No. 364, A. F. & A. M.

He was married on the 15th of February, 1872, to Miss Mary Hutchings, a daughter of Martin and Mary (Bolton) Hutchings and they have been blessed with five sons and five daughters, whose names are, in order, Mary J., Charles F., Clara J., Edna, Roy B., Fred, Ella, Nell, Harold and Marion. Mary J. became the wife of Ozer Keller, lives in Coffeyville, Kansas and has two children, Charles F. was a soldier in the Spanish-American War, a member of the Fifth Illinois Volunteers, and is unmarried; Edna married Burton Thompson and resides in Henry, this state; and the other children are at their parental home.
[Source: Biographical and Genealogical Record of La Salle County, Illinois, Volume 2, Lewis Publishing Company 1900]




 William Edward Hawthorne

William Edward Hawthorne, editor and proprietor of the "Echo" at Granville, his native city, was born June 7, 1859. His ancestral lineal and collateral branches have for various generations been distinctly American and prior to that time was of English, Scotch and Irish lineage. Research into family records brings to light the fact that the Mayflower brought to America the progenitor of the Hawthorne family, of which William Edward Hawthorne is a representative. In correspondence with Julian Hawthorne, son of Nathaniel Hawthorne, it is found that this Concord man of letters is a representative of another branch of the same family. There is also an Irish strain in the ancestry and when Mr. Hawthorne met the famous Irishman, Michael Davitt, who was then touring the United States, said to him in the course of conversation that he traced his ancestry back to the McFaddens, Davitt replied, "McFadden, McFadden, they'd throw no stones at ye in County Cork. The McFaddens are a great clan."

William Hawthorne, father of William Edward Hawthorne, and the fourth in the line of descent to bear that name, was a farmer by occupation and on removing to the middle west entered land from the government four miles southeast of Granville. He paid for this tract a dollar and a quarter per acres and today it is worth two hundred dollars per acre. He married Susan Findley, who died when their son William E., was six years of age, after which the little lad spent four years with his grandmother, Mrs. Margaret (Hawthorne) Moore, who was one of the early pioneer residents of Granville township. William Hawthorne, Sr., was born in Ohio and was only three years of age when brought by his parents to Putnam county, Illinois.

Following the loss of his first wife he married again and removed with his family to Normal, Illinois, where his son and namesake attended school for three or four years. The father then removed to Indiana and William Edward Hawthorne was upon the home farm in Porter county between the ages of twelve and twenty-one years. He attended the public schools and pursued a scientific course in the Northern Indiana Normal School at Valparaiso. In early manhood he engaged in teaching school successively in Michigan, Indiana and Illinois, after which he returned to Michigan. He was never graduated from any educational institution but has always been a student of men and literature and his special text books have been the Bible, Shakespeare and the American classics. These certainly are sufficient to give a man broad knowledge and familiarity with the best that has been produced by the writers of the age. His pursuits in early life were similar to those of most boys who are reared upon a farm.

He remembers of his stepmother requiring him to stay up most of the night studying the catechism. At the time of her second marriage she was the widow of a Presbyterian minster and was a most excellent and superior lady, to whom Mr. Hawthorne ascribes the credit for the cultivation of his taste for things of refinement. The desire for knowledge being awakened in him he improved his opportunities for the acquirement of a broader education than the public schools afforded and he paid his tuition with money which he had himself earned, never receiving a dollar from anyone except to return it when his labors as a teacher made the discharge of the financial obligations possible.

On attaining his majority Mr. Hawthorne went to Michigan and worked for his elder brother in a grain elevator at Marengo. It was there that he taught his first school, and after his return to Indiana he engaged in teaching in that state for a year prior to his removal to Florid, Putnam county, Illinois. He afterward went to Vermontville, Michigan, where he held his first principalship for two years. He taught his last school at Essexville, Michigan, a suburb of Bay city. Each year during his experience as a teacher brought him an advance in salary, indicating his growing ability in the profession. In the fall of 1884 he took charge of a general store in Granville, Illinois, for H. Bateman and in the following autumn in connection with G. L. Bando he established a hardware and grocery store in the building formerly used as the Granville Academy. For fifteen years he was thus engaged in merchandising and retired from that line of activity two years after his election to the office of superintendent of schools in Putnam county, which office he occupied for eight years, during which time through his efforts, the standard of public instruction was greatly raised and the schools were placed upon an excellent working basis. He was also town clerk and postmaster while engaged in merchandising and likewise served as village treasurer and village clerk during that period. In 1901 he organized the Granville Mercantile Company, conducting the business for four years, and in 1903 he established the Granvilee "Echo", which was under the management of his brother-in-law, B. B. Blosser, until 1905, when Mr. Hawthorne abandoned the field of mercantile effort and took control of the "Echo" printing business, in which he has since continued.

Aside from his official acts while an incumbent of political positions Mr. Hawthorne has done much important public service as a private citizen. He has given his cooperation to many progressive public movements, serving as secretary of the Granville Lecture Association, while for the greater part of twenty years, he has been secretary of the Granville Cemetery Association, performing the duties connected therewith with satisfaction to those concerned and with financial success. In politics he has always been a stalwart republican and has done some effective campaign work. He has never been connected, however, with fraternal, political or social organizations or clubs, his relations with organized bodies being restricted to the church. When yet a boy he became a church member and is religiously cosmopolitan, having belonged at different times to the Methodist Episcopal, the Christian, the Presbyterian and the Congregational churches. Wherever he has lived he has connected himself with the orthodox church of the community and has been Sunday-school superintendent for perhaps twenty-five years of his life, while in one way or another he has been connected with church work for a long period. At the present time he holds membership with the Congregational church at Granville, but occupies no office therein.

Mr. Hawthorne was married March 14, 1882, to Miss Emma Emelia Opper of Granville, a daughter of C. G. and Anna Opper. The first few years of their married life Mr. and Mrs. Hawthorne attended and taught school together. Nine years following their marriage twin boys came to bless their home, and so delighted was the father that he hastened to his office and had the following announcement printed and distributed among his friends.

Often have the poets told us in their lyrics of the deep,

Awful calms are but the presage of the storms that o'er them sweep.

Thus, perhaps, protracted stillness on a calm domestic sea,

Signifies that force is gathering for the squalls that are to be.

Weighted we anchor of life's ocean sunlight flooding us in torrents,

But two little squalls have struck us, William Henry and Orin Lawrence.

In 1894 twin daughters blessed the home, these being Helen and Marie. The next in order of birth is Charles Findley, who bears the name of President Blanchard of Wheaton College as well as the name of his grandmother. The youngest in order of birth is Edward Everett, who was born in 1902. The mother, as the name implies, is of German ancestry, and as she speaks, reads and writes the German language she is likewise educating her children in the German tongue. Five of the children are now attending school.

Mr. Hawthorne is himself a twin, his brother being O. E. Hawthorne, a resident of Marshall Missouri, who is agent for the Chicago and Alton Railroad Company. He is married and has a son and daughter, Lucile and Ray, who are still with their parents.

Mr. Hawthorne believes fully in the principle expressed by the Bard of Avon when he said, "There is a Divinity that shapes our ends," and while he recognizes the fact that he has perhaps not improves all his opportunities, that Divinity has never failed, and on every occasion he expresses himself as a willing devotee at the throne of that Divinity. Mr. Hawthorne was blessed with the influence of Christian parents, and to this, combines with the influence and encouragement of his excellent wife, gives credit for the position to which he has attained in the moral, business and social world. He bears testimony to the power of associations as potential in forming character. Next to his wife, no one has so influenced his life as his elder brother whom he considers an ideal man. His father's example too, has always been that of a Godly man, while his intimate friends have been ever men of the highest noble character. This brief sketch of the writer of our historical narrative of Putnam county does not pretend to be a biography, entering into detail but simply a suggestive outline, leaving the completion to his future biographers after the records are all in.

Taken From the Past and Present of Marshall and Putnam Counties
By John Spencer Burt and W. E. Hawthorne, Page 135-137
Printed by the Pioneer Publishing Company, Chicago, 1907



Jeremiah Hartenbower

Jeremiah Hartenbower, the maternal grandfather, was born in Germany, came to America in the '20s, and about 1830 located in Putnam County, Illinois, taking up some government land. Later he settled in Hennepin Township and in 1876 he departed this life at his home in the village of the same name. He had nine or more children and George Hiltabrand had eleven children, and their descendants are numerous and influential, both in this and in other states of the Union.
[Source: Biographical and Genealogical Record of La Salle County, Illinois, Volume 2, Lewis Publishing Company 1900, Biography of George D. Hiltabrand]

The Henry Republican February 24 and March 2, 1876

Died At Hennepin, Feb. 20, of kidney complaint, Jeremiah Hartenbower, aged 75 years.

March 2

The following obituary paragraph accompanies the announcement of the death of Mr. Jeremiah Hartenbower in the Record of last week.

“Mr. Hartenbower was born in Germany, about 30 miles from the city of Stuttgart, on the 6th day of March, 1800. Emigrated to America in 1819, and settled in Winchester, Kentucky, where he married. He resided in Kentucky about 12 years, and emigrated to this county in the year 1831, and settled near Magnolia, where he worked at his trade, that of tailoring, for a few years, when he moved to a farm in this township. He moved to Hennepin some 10 or 12 years ago, where he has since resided up to the time of his death.  Mr. Hartenbower was one of the oldest residents of the county, and was generally known by the inhabitants, and generally loved and respected by all.”



Joel Haws

THE HENRY NEWS REPUBLIC, HENRY, IL Thursday, June 28, 1883
Another old settler gone
Joel Haws was born in Madison Co., Virginia, Aug. 15, 1796. He was the son of Conrad and Susan Haws. Was married on the 27th of April 1824 to Elizabeth Gibson and was the father of 10 children, 8 of whom are still living. In 1805, Mr. Haws moved from Virginia to Clinton Co. Ohio. He was a soldier in the war of 1812. Enlisted in 1813, served in the 2nd Reg. OH Vol. under Col. Sumalt and Capt. Wm. Fordice in the division commanded by Gen. Denoe of Cincinattee and was honorably discharged in 1814. Both his grandfathers were soldiers in the Revolutionary War. Since 1838, Mr. Haws has been a farmer in Putnam County, Illinois and has all his children settled around him near Magnolia and all prospering in life. Mr. H. was an industrious honest citizen, respected by all his neighbors. His last days were days of peace and quiet, happy in his surroundings and on June 24, 1883, at his home, surrounded by kind friends, he without a struggle passed from earth to the unseen world to his final reward. The funeral procession was large and imposing.

Joel Haws
Elizabeth (Gibson) Haws
Conrad and Susan Haws

Joel Haws, the father of our subject, was born in Madison County, Virginia, August 15, 1796, a son of Conrad and Susan Haws, who emigrated in 1805 to Clinton County, Ohio, where both passed away. Conrad Haws and two of his brothers served in the Revolutionary war, aiding the colonies in their struggle for independence. Joel Haws was one of a family of eight children, the others being Elizabeth, William, Mrs. Fannie Johnson, John, Mrs. Nancy Kelley, Susan and Tandy, all of whom are now deceased. Joel Haws remained with his parents during his boyhood and youth and accompanied them on their removed to Clinton County, Ohio, where he was united in marriage to Miss Elizabeth Gibson, their marriage being celebrated on the 27th of April, 1824. She was a daughter of John Gibson and was born in 1805. The young couple took up their abode in Ohio, where they remained until their removal to Putnam County in 1838, at which time they took up their abode on the farm belonging to his brother, Captain William Haws, where they made their home until 1845, in which year the father purchased the farm which is now owned by Gustave Otto. This he improved and cultivated until his death, which occurred on the 24th of June, 1883, when he had reached the very advanced age of eighty-seven years. His wife was a devoted member of the Presbyterian Church, and her death occurred in January 1876. Their family numbered ten children, namely: Mrs. Mary Ann Hubbard, deceased; Thomas G., a resident of Magnolia; Mrs. Elizabeth McCullum, deceased; William, whose name introduces this record; John, who died in 1904 at Ottawa, Illinois; one who died in infancy; Mrs. Sarah J. McCombs, of California; Eunice L., the wife of Gustave Otto, whose sketch appears on another page of this work; George W. of La Salle, this State; and James A., who resides at York, Nebraska. The father served in the war of 1812, as a member of the Second Ohio Volunteers under command of Captain William Fordyce in Colonel Smith's regiment and General Denoe's division, and he received an honorable discharge in 1814. In politics he was a Jacksonian democrat, and in his community was known as an honorable citizen and a faithful friend.
[Source: Past and Present of Marshall and Putnam Counties, By John Spencer Burt and W. E. Hawthorne, Printed by the Pioneer Publishing Company, Chicago, 1907, William Haws biography, Pages 194-198]



Captain William Haws

TAKEN FROM THE HENRY NEWS REPUBLIC, HENRY, IL March 6, 1884
This venerable pioneer of Illinois passed away yesterday suddenly. He was seated at the dinner table, at his residence in Magnolia, Putnam Co., and had partaken of a hearty dinner, when suddenly his head dropped, there was a shudder and before the family, who were alarmed and jumped to his assistance, could get him to the bed he was dead. CAPT.WILLIAM HAWS was born in Orange county, VA. Sept. 23, 1800. He lived with his parents in Ohio until the age of 21; August 27, 1821, removed to Sangamon County, ILL., removing thence to his present residence in Putnam County, thence to Tazewell in 1826.  He built the first log cabin between Ottawa and Washington. There were no white people then in that part of the country except a few Indian traders. Putnam county was organized at his house in 1831. He was one of the first grand jurors at the first term of court, which was held at the old trading house near Hennepin. Gov. Ford was then prosecuting attorney of the district. He was Captain in the Black Hawk war of a company of state militia, as also took charge of a caravan going to Oregon in 1847. He has led a long and active life, having dug lead in Galena, gold in California and silver in Mexico. He owns nearly 20000 acres of land in Putnam and Marshall counties, a half section in Minnesota,most of it under cultivation. A kind wife and a number of sons and daughters survive the husband and father.

Captain William Haws
Lucinda (Southwick) Haws

The first man to locate in this district was Captain William Haws, the paternal uncle of our subject. His birth occurred in Orange County, Virginia, September 23, 1800 and in 1805 he was taken by his parents to Ohio, where he remained until he attained his majority, when, on the 27th of August 1821, he located in Sangamon County, this state, where he conducted a tannery for a time, and in 1826 came to Magnolia Township, Putnam County, where he settled on a farm on section 26. He built a log cabin and there made his permanent home. His wife bore the maiden name of Lucinda Southwick, who was a native of New York and was a typical frontier woman, brave and fearless, and shared with her husband all the trials and privations of a frontier existence. Indians at that time were far more numerous than the white settlers and wild animals were heard howling around their little cabin. The Captain secured his title as commander of a volunteer company in the Black Hawk war. When he first located here this district was included in Tazewell County, but in 1831 a meeting was held at his house, at which time Putnam County was organized. He was identified with much of the progress and improvement of this portion of the state and served in various ways in public affairs and during the first term of court which convened in an old traveling house near Hennepin, Mr. Haws served on the grand jury, Governor Ford then acting as prosecuting attorney for this district. After the death of his first wife Captain Haws was again married, his second union being with Mrs. Louisa Moffitt nee Defenbaugh, by whom he had five children, of whom two still survive - Clifford, who resides in Henry, Marshall County and Joel of Varna, Illinois. Both Captain and Mrs. Haws are now deceased, the former having passed away in March, 1885.
In 1845 a second member of the Haws family located here, this being Mrs. Kelley, a sister of Captain Haws, who spent the succeeding three years in Magnolia Township, subsequent to which time she removed to La Salle County, and about 1860 removed to the state of Missouri. Another sister came in 1838 and made her home here until her death, at the very advanced age of ninety-two years, after which her remains were interred in the Magnolia Cemetery.
[Source: Past and Present of Marshall and Putnam Counties, By John Spencer Burt and W. E. Hawthorne, Printed by the Pioneer Publishing Company, Chicago, 1907, William Haws biography, Pages 194-198]



William Haws
Helen (Clisbee) Haws
Mary Jane (Trone) Haws

William Haws, a retired farmer making his home in Magnolia, where he owns and occupies one of the fine homes of the village, is also a large landowner, owning two hundred acres of land near the village, which furnishes him with a good financial income, has through a long period been identified with the progress and development of Putnam County. He is a native of Clinton County, Ohio, his birth having occurred September 10, 1833 (Parents - Joel and Elizabeth Haws: see biography Joel Haws).
William Haws, whose name introduces this record, was a little lad of only five years when he was brought by his parents to Putnam County, and here he became familiar with all the duties that fall to the lot of the pioneer settler, for during his youth he assisted his father in the development and improvement of his farm, thus gaining practical knowledge of farm work in all its departments. During the winter months, when his services were not needed on the farm, he pursued his studies in the district schools, but his advantages in that direction were limited, owing to the unsettled condition of the country and the primitive manner in which the schools were conducted at that early day. He remained under the parental roof until he attained his majority, and then starting out upon an independent career, secured employment with his uncle, Captain Haws, with whom he remained for seventeen years. He was early trained to habits of industry and economy, and, saving his earnings, he was in due course of time enabled to purchase land and engage in farming on his own account. As he prospered in his undertakings he added more and more largely to his possessions until he is now the owner of a fine farm of two hundred acres situated near the village of Magnolia, and on this place he was for many years engaged in general agricultural pursuits and stock-raising, but is now living retired in a beautiful home in the village of Magnolia, where he and his wife are enjoying the fruits of their former toil, for they have acquired a property and a competence that enables them to enjoy all the comforts and many of the luxuries of life, and in this home they expect to spend their declining years.
Mr. Haws has been twice married. His first wife bore the maiden name of Helen Clisbee, who was born in Marshall County, April 11, 1842. She was reared from her early childhood by Captain Haws, with whom she remained until her marriage, and her death occurred February 3, 1864. She was the mother of two daughters, of whom the younger, Helen is deceased. The elder daughter, Minnie L., was married on the 26th of June, 1876, to Riley B. Roberts (see biography Riley Roberts).
After the death of his first wife Mr. Haws was married again, his second union being with Miss Mary Jane Trone, whom he wedded March 2, 1865. She was born in York County, Pennsylvania, January 7, 1845, a daughter of David and Christian (Philby) Trone, likewise natives of York County, the former born January 9, 1816, while the latter was born in 1820. (See biography David Trone)
Mr. Haws is a worthy member of the Masonic fraternity, belonging to the blue lodge at Magnolia, in which he served as treasurer for a long period, the chapter at Lacon and the commandery at Peru. He has always given his political support and co-operation to the Democratic Party, and has ever been interested in the progress and success of his party. In former years he was quite active in local affairs and served as road commissioner for one term, as supervisor for two terms, was a member of the school board and of the village board of Magnolia for a long period and likewise as president of the village for several terms. Mr. Haws has always led an active and busy life, and all that he has accumulated has been acquired through his own well directed labors. At one time he owned three hundred and sixty acres of land, but has since disposed of a part of this and now retains possession of two hundred acres of timber land in Marshall County and thirty acres in Putnam County, besides a number of town lots, from which property he derives an income sufficient to enable him to spend the remainder of his days in honorable retirement. He and his wife both enjoy good health, and are comfortably situated in a pleasant home in the village of Magnolia, the hospitality of which is enjoyed by a large circle of warm friends.
[Source: Past and Present of Marshall and Putnam Counties, By John Spencer Burt and W. E. Hawthorne, Printed by the Pioneer Publishing Company, Chicago, 1907, William Haws biography, Pages 194-198]





Benjamin F. Hiltabrand
Benjamin F. Hiltabrand, father of George D., was born in Putnam County, where he was a successful farmer and stock-raiser for many years after arriving at manhood. In 1882 he came to LaSalle County, and during the next thirteen years he dwelt about a mile and a half west of the village of Lostant. He owns six tracts of eighty acres each in that locality, another farm of one hundred and twenty acres in that district and about five hundred and seventy acres in Iowa, besides twenty acres in Putnam County. Since 1895 he has lived retired in Bloomington, Illinois. For some time he was the supervisor of Magnolia Township, Putnam County; and in Hope Township, this county, he served in the same capacity. Politically he is a Democrat, and religiously both he and his estimable wife are members of the Baptist church. In her girlhood she bore the name of Minerva Hartenbower, and like her husband, she was born in Putnam County. They had six children, four of whom survive, namely: George D., Norman J., Vera L., and Benjamin Franklin.
[Source: Biographical and Genealogical Record of La Salle County, Illinois, Volume 2, Lewis Publishing Company 1900, Biography of George D. Hiltabrand]



George Hiltabrand

George Hiltabrand, his paternal grandfather, was a native of North Carolina, and lived in Tennessee prior to his removal to Magnolia township, Putnam County, Illinois in 1827. His farm was located at a place known as Ox Bow, and there he resided until his death, which event occurred when he was nearly three-score and ten years of age. During the Black Hawk war he enlisted and served as a sergeant of his company. George Hiltabrand had eleven children, and their descendants are numerous and influential, both in this and in other states of the Union.
[Source: Biographical and Genealogical Record of La Salle County, Illinois, Volume 2, Lewis Publishing Company 1900, Biography of George D. Hiltabrand]

He (Christian Hartenbower) chose for his wife Miss Jerusha G. Hiltabrand, who was born in Tennessee, August 22, 1825, and was the eldest of twelve children of George and Elizabeth (Gunn) Hiltabrand. Her father was born near Camden, Pennsylvania, in June 1799, and was of German lineage. He was reared in North Carolina until 1818, when he removed to Robinson County, Tennessee, and in 1828 he came to Tazewell County, Illinois. The following spring, however, he settled in what is known as Ox Bow, Putnam County.
During the Black Hawk war he served as a sergeant in Captain William Haws' company of mounted volunteers, belonging to the Fortieth Regiment, Fourth Brigade and First Division of the Illinois militia. He was mustered out of the service at Hennepin on the 28th of June, 1832. At one time he purchased four quarter-sections of government land, for which he paid a dollar and a quarter per acre, and by the aid of his sons improved the property which is now estimated to be worth one hundred dollars per acre. Long before his death he was a wealthy man and an extensive landowner, and, although he suffered many hardships and privations in the first years of his residence in this state, in his last years he was enabled to secure all the necessaries and many of the comforts and luxuries of life. He died October 20, 1870, aged seventy-one years.
[Source: Biographical and Genealogical Record of La Salle County, Illinois, Volume 2, Lewis Publishing Company 1900, Biography of John E. Hartenbower]




Isaac and Elizabeth (Hailey) Hiltabrand
The parents of William W. are Isaac and Elizabeth (Hailey) Hiltabrand, natives of North Carolina and Tennessee, respectively. The father came to this state in 1829 and took up a quarter section of government land in Putnam County. Later he became quite wealthy for that day, and owned a section of land, some being within the boundaries of this county. He continued to dwell in Putnam County until his death, in 1877, when he was nearly seventy years of age. He was a soldier in the Black Hawk War and never failed in the discharge of his public duties. His wife died in 1871, when fifty-two years of age. Both were members of the Baptist church and loved and honored by everyone who knew them. Eight sons and one daughter of their fourteen children are yet living, namely: William W., our subject; Gilbert, Andrew and James of Hope Township, LaSalle County; Allen of Henry, Illinois, Austin of Tonica; Douglas, on the old homestead in Putnam County, Edward in Magnolia, same county, and Amanda, the wife of Eliphlet Ketchum, of Henry, Illinois.
[Source: Biographical and Genealogical Record of La Salle County, Illinois, Volume 2, Lewis Publishing Company 1900, Biography of William W. Hitabrand]



William W. Hiltabrand

Seventy years ago the father and numerous relatives of William W. Hiltabrand came to the frontier of Illinois and thus from pioneer days the name has been indissolubly connected with the early history of the state. The family has been noted for all the sterling qualities and public spirit which goes toward the making of valued citizens.

The paternal grandfather of our subject, Conrad Hiltabrand, was a native of Pennsylvania and was of German descent. At an early day he removed to North Carolina and his last years were spent in Tennessee, where he died at an advanced age. His widow, Jane Brown Hiltabrand, came to Illinois and departed this life in Putnam County about 1860. They were the parents of ten children, most of whom followed agricultural pursuits, to which calling they had been reared.

The maternal grandfather of our subject was Harwell Hailey, of Scotch-Irish extraction. He was the father of thirteen children.

The parents of William W. are Isaac and Elizabeth (Hailey) Hiltabrand, natives of North Carolina and Tennessee, respectively.

Born in Putnam County, February 2, 1839, William W. Hiltabrand was early initiated into the routine of farm life, and received such knowledge as he could gain in the common schools. As he approached manhood he managed the old homestead on shares, for his father, for four years, and then bought eighty acres in LaSalle County. To this tract, situated in Hope Township, he subsequently added adjoining land from time to time, and invested in other property until he is now the owner of eleven or twelve hundred acres, altogether. Seven tracts of eighty acres each are located in Hope Township; and another, the one on which he now makes his home, is in Tonica; while one quarter section is in Iowa and two quarter sections are in Nebraska. That he possesses business ability is evident from the above mentioned facts, and that his success has been mainly due to his own efforts, his success in life is well worthy of admiration. Honesty and industry are the only secrets of his prosperity.

In 1863 Mr. Hiltabrand married Miss Sabina Kreider, who died just ten years subsequently. She was a daughter of the well-known citizens, Samuel and Catherine (Reed) Kreider and was a consistent member of the Baptist church. Three children were born to our subject and his first wife, namely: Sabina Katie, Marion F. and John Willard. The latter died at the age of twenty-three years. Sabina K. is the wife of H. A. Barr and resides near Lostant. She is the mother of seven children, named as follows: Elsie, Verna, Mina, Florence and Forest (twins), Ralph and Hazel. Marion F. married Miss Ida Stillwell and their home is in Hope Township. They have five children - Wilma, Berle, Laura, Lelah and Charles. In 1874 our subject wedded Miss Melissa Ferry, and their two children, Burton and Jane Elizabeth, are at home - the former still a student in the local school, and the latter a teacher in district schools. Mr. and Mrs. Hiltabrand are active members of the Methodist church. Following out his strong temperance principles, he favors the Prohibition Party with his ballot. For a number of years he served as a road commissioner and school director. All public enterprises calculated to benefit the people have received his earnest co-operation.
[Source: Biographical and Genealogical Record of La Salle County, Illinois, Volume 2, Lewis Publishing Company 1900]



Hon. Joel Wilson Hopkins

Page 150, 153

In the death of Joel Willis Hopkins, Putnam county mourned the loss of one whom it had grown to esteem and honor by reason of his genuine personal worth. No history of Putnam county would be adequate that did not take into account his great influence in molding the character of its people, in shaping the policy of the county and in promoting public interests along the lines of progress, good order and moral and religious development. He was active in public affairs on the county, state and nation and at all times he stood for high ideals.

Mr. Hopkins became a resident of Putnam county in 1835, and therefore witnessed its growth and development for almost sixty-seven years, his death occurring on the 16th of February, 1902. He was born on the 29th of July, 1814, at Ripley, Brown county, Ohio, his parents being William and Jane (Willis) Hopkins, the former a native of Virginia and the latter of South Carolina. When young people, however, they removed to Ohio from their respective states and were there married. In 1835 they brought their family to Putnam county, Illinois, settling upon the farm which later became the home of their son Joel, the residence which now stands there occupying the site of the first log cabin of the family.

William Hopkins secured land of the government to the cultivation and improvement of which he devoted his energies until his death in 1842. His wife survived him for about seven years. One son of the family, Archibald Wilson, had previously come to Putnam County , locating here in 1832, and while here participated in the Indian war. His death occurred in 1839. John Crawford is a resident of Marshall county, Iowa. Stephen D., who was an invalid, died at the age of forty-two years. George B., who lived near Granville, died May 30, 1904. Elizabeth, who was the wife of Willis Margrave, died May 24, 1892, at Hiawatha, Kansas. Martha married James B. McCord and died June 24, 1881. Margaret engaged in teaching for several years in Putnam and Grundy counties, Illinois and died when past the age of thirty years. Melinda wedded Abbott Barker of Grundy county, and died May 22, 1865. The parents were earnest Christian people, holding membership in the early years of their residence here with the Union Grove Presbyterian church, while in later life they assisted in the organization of the Congregational church at Granville.

Joel Willis Hopkins, the second son of his father's family, was a young man of twenty-one years at the time of the removal to Illinois, and he assisted in the arduous task of developing a new farm, sharing in the hardships and privations incident to settlement upon the frontier. His preparation for having a home of his own was completed in 1840 by his marriage to Miss Eleanor Jane Harrison, a sister of Stephen Harrison. She and her brother Richard D. Harrison, died in the same week in 1849, and in 1862 Mr. Hopkins wedded the widow of the latter, Mrs. Sarah Harrison, a daughter of Alba Smith, who was one of the pioneer settlers of Bureau county, Illinois, taking up his abode near Princeton in 1835. Mrs. Hopkins is a native of New York and was eleven years of age when she accompanied her father to this state.

By his first marriage Mr. Hopkins had five children, of who tow, Eveline and Jennie, died in childhood, while those living are Archibald Wilson, residing upon the home farm; Helen De Armand, the wife of Rev. Robert McCord, of Lake City, Iowa; and Mary Harrison, the wife of Judge W. Wright, of Toulon, Illinois. One daughter graced the second marriage, Martha Belle, who is the wife of Sidney Whitaker. By her first husband Mrs. Hopkins had one son, Richard D. Harrison, who is living in Bureau county, near Princeton. Viewed from a business standpoint the life record of Mr. Hopkins was a distinguished one, for he so conducted his affairs and placed his investments that he became one of the extensive landowners of this section of Illinois. Upon the organization of the Peru National Bank, Mr. Hopkins became its president and so continued until his death. The safe, conservative policy which he inaugurated made this one of the strong financial institutions of this part of Illinois, and in moneyed as well as agricultural circules he sustained an unassailable reputation. He was also president of the Putnam County Bank at Hennepin and of the Granville Bank. In all his business dealings he manifested a fidelity to a high standard of commercial ethics that won him the honor and admiration of all.

A leading and popular citizen, Mr. Hopkins was called upon to fill various important positions of honor and trust, serving as supervisor, while for ten years he was county judge. He resigned his place on the bench in order to became a member of the twenty-sixth general assembly, to which he was elected on the republican ticket. He was actively and helpfully interested in political questions, giving to the principles in which he believed a firm and stalwart support. He served as a delegate to the convention at Cincinnati, Ohio, which nominated Rutherford B. Hayes for the presidency, and he was frequently a delegate to the state conventions of his party. During the dark days of the Civil war he assisted in raising money for substitutes and for the care of the soldier's widows and orphans, and upheld to the fullest extent the administration and the Union cause. He served for many years as an officer in the Congregational church at Granville, in which he held membership. He died February 16, 1902, leaving a valuable estate to his family, chiefly represented in his landed interests. In his character there was an unusual combination of qualities. To the world, the church, his neighbors and his friends, he was a tower of strength; to his family all of that and a world of tenderness beside. He was at ease in the presence of the highest dignitaries of the nation, and was so simple and kindly that no one, however humble, felt abashed in his presence.

At his death it could truly be said, "Know ye not that there is a prince and great man fallen this day in Israel?"


Taken From the Past and Present of Marshall and Putnam Counties
By John Spencer Burt and W. E. Hawthorne, Page 150, 153
Printed by the Pioneer Publishing Company, Chicago, 1907



George W. Hunt
George W. Hunt, superintendent of schools of Putnam County, has, although a young man, attained considerable prominence as a representative of the system of public instruction in Illinois and his abilities, natural and acquired, are an indication that still further advancement awaits him. Born in Fulton County, Illinois, May 8, 1875, he is a son of Hiram and Catherine Hunt, both now deceased. The father, a farmer by occupation, was born in New York and came to this state in the '30s. His wife was a native of Ireland and with a sister and two brothers came to America. Mrs. Hunt took up one hundred and sixty acres of land near Havana, Illinois and the deed, signed by President Buchanan, has never been transferred only to the heirs.
George W. Hunt was reared under the parental roof to the age of seventeen years and during that period acquired a district-school education. Ambitious for further intellectual progress, he then attended the State Normal School at Normal, Illinois and alternately devoted his time and energies to teaching and study until he entered the State University in 1901. In 1898 he came to Putnam County as teacher of the Center district school, near Magnolia. For three years he was principal of the Granville high school, and in the fall of 1903, while yet a student in the State University, and was elected superintendent of schools for Putnam County. In February, 1904, he came to Granville and entered upon the duties of this office, in which capacity he is now serving. Although he was thus forced to relinquish his class work he continued his studies, returning to the university to take all of the examinations, and was graduated therefrom in 1904 with the degree of L. L. B. In 1905 he was admitted to the bar, and has since successfully engaged in the practice of law. His work in behalf of the schools has been notable and has won him more than local distinction. In April, 1906, he rendered a decision in favor of the consolidation of three school districts into one. This was a new departure in the school work of Illinois, but had been tried successfully in other states. The arguments Mr. Hunt presented in a neat eight page pamphlet, which shows his ability as a writer and as a logical thinker and indicates that much time and study was spent in its preparation. Having himself been a student in the district schools and in the State Normal and a teacher in the district schools, he was well qualified to know the conditions of the country schools and the limited opportunity its pupil has in a chance for entering a high school or college. Mr. Hunt's opinions are largely considered authority on public-school questions in this part of Illinois, and he justly merits the position of prominence that he has won in education circles. His own broad intellectual culture and natural ability, combined with his unfaltering diligence, have made him recognized as one of the able educators of the state. He is a most entertaining conversationalist and a fluent writer, and is continually broadening his knowledge through reading and investigation. At the last election he was re-elected to the office of county superintendent without opposition.
Fraternally his is connected with the Woodmen and with the Odd Fellows, and his religious faith is indicated in his membership in the Congregational church.
[Source: Past and Present of Marshall and Putnam Counties, By John Spencer Burt and W. E. Hawthorne, Printed by the Pioneer Publishing Company, Chicago, 1907 Page 155]
 

Back to Putnam County Illinois History and Genealogy

Back to Illinois Genealogy Trails History and Genealogy

Back to Genealogy Trails