Putnam County, Illinois History and Genealogy
| Edward F. Lambert
From the farm have come many of the ablest financiers and businessmen of this country, as well as representative men in every walk in life. The subject of this sketch, now a prosperous lumber merchant of Tonica, LaSalle County, was born on a farm in Putnam County, Illinois, November 10, 1858, and has spent most of his life in the routine of farm work, at the same time developing powers of mind and body which are now serving him in good stead.
He (Edward) is a son of John R. Lambert, a well-known citizen of this locality, who is represented elsewhere in this work. Both he (John) and his estimable wife, Emily, were born in this state, where their respective parents were pioneers. The paternal grandfather of our subject, Joel Lambert, who was of Scotch-English descent, was a native of Kentucky, whence he removed to Indiana, and at an early age settled near Galesburg, Knox county, Illinois, where they were engaged in farming. He died when in the prime of life, leaving two sons and a daughter. The maternal grandfather, George Hiltabrand, was of the sturdy old Pennsylvania-Dutch stock. In 1829 he came to this state and took up his abode in Putnam County, hauling wheat and other produce from his farm there to Chicago for years. During the Black Hawk War he was active as a home guard, and was a sergeant in his company. John R. Lambert was born near Galesburg, and grew to manhood there and in Putnam County. Since the war he has lived in Hope Township, this county, until he retired, in the fall of 1896, to become a citizen of Tonica. He commenced at the foot of the ladder leading to success and steadily working his way upward, buying land when good opportunities offered, and now he is the fortunate possessor of four hundred and eighty acres. He was engaged in the cultivation of one place in Hope Township for twenty-seven years and still owns the property. The land had been entered by his father-in-law, and under his own judicious management it has become one of the most valuable country homes in this section, improved as it is, with a modern house, substantial barns and sheds, shade trees, fences and orchard. Since he came to the village, he has purchased a pleasant house and lives with our subject and family, as his wife died in 1886.
He has borne an important part in the affairs of his community, at different times acting in the offices of township clerk, school director or school trustee, and for many years he was a member of the Democratic county central committee. He aided his sons in getting started in their independent careers, helping each to buy farms, one hundred and sixty acres in extent, one located in Hope Township and the other in Eden Township.
As stated at the beginning of this article, Edward F. Lambert is now in the prime of manhood, forty years of age. Since he was two years old he has lived in LaSalle County, where he obtained his education in the district schools, supplemented with a course of study at Eureka College. He early became thoroughly acquainted with agriculture, carried on the old homestead with his brother, on shares, for some years, and gave his time and attention to the cultivation of his farm until three years ago. In 1896 he bought the Robinson lumber-yard in Tonica, and now deals extensively in all kinds of lumber and building material. Prompt and business-like in his methods, he merits the patronage which he receives and his trade is steadily increasing from year to year. He still owns the quarter-section of land which his father assisted him to buy, and has made good improvements upon it. Fraternally he is a member of the Modern Woodmen of America. Like his father, he uses his franchise in favor of the nominees of the Democratic Party. At present he is serving as one of the trustees of this town, and formerly he was one of the district school trustees in Hope Township.
One the 21st of December, 1887, Mr. Lambert married Miss Julia B., a daughter of William Borngasser, and four children bless their happy home, namely: Emily V., Edward R., Evelyn Fern and Carl Russell. Mrs. Lambert's mother died when she was a child, and she was reared as a member of the household of Simeon Hiltabrand, the maternal uncle of our subject.
[Source: Biographical and Genealogical Record of La Salle County, Illinois, Volume 2, Lewis Publishing Company 1900]
JAMES A. LAUGHLIN
James A. Laughlin, who is engaged in dealing in furniture and hardware at Saratoga, Carbon county, was born in Putnam county, Illinois, May 25, 1862. His father. James T. Laughlin, is also a native of Illinois and of Scotch descent. The Laughlin family was founded in the Prairie state in pioneer times, becoming early settlers of Bond and Putnam counties. James T. Laughlin became a successful farmer of Putnam county, where he is still living at the notable old age of ninety-three years. He is yet hale and hearty. In politics he has been a republican from the organization of the party and during the period of his active life exerted considerable influence in public affairs. For a number of years he served as justice of the peace and his rulings were always strictly fair and impartial. He married Julia Smith, who, although born in New York, was a descendant of an old Connecticut family in the paternal line and of one of the old families of Massachusetts of English origin in the maternal line. Mrs. Laughlin passed away in September, 1915, at the advanced age of eighty-six years. They had traveled life's journey together for a very long period, sharing with each other the joys and sorrows, the adversity and prosperity which checker the careers of all. They had reared a family of nine children, five sons and four daughters, of whom seven are living.
In order of birth the fifth member of the family was James A. Laughlin, who was educated in the public schools of Putnam county, Illinois, and spent his youthful days upon the home farm. He worked in the fields when not occupied with the duties of the schoolroom and early became familiar with the best methods of cultivating crops in that section of the country. He was twenty years of age when he left the parental roof and started out to earn his own livelihood, being first employed in farm work in Putnam county. He followed agricultural pursuits there on his own account for four years and afterward removed to Colorado, where he took up a preemption claim, on which he resided for three years. In 1900 he became a resident of Encampment, Carbon county, Wyoming, and while there living worked at the carpenter's trade, which he followed for seven years. He also did some contract work and in 1907 he removed to Saratoga, where he established his present business, opening a hardware and furniture store. This he has since conducted. His stock originally was quite small but has been increased to meet the growing demands of his trade and he is today proprietor of a well appointed and well equipped establishment, carrying a large and attractive line of furniture and hardware. The business
has grown quite satisfactorily and is indicative of the spirit of enterprise which underlies all of his endeavors.
Mr. Laughlin is a republican, having supported the party since age conferred upon him the right of franchise. He keeps in touch with the questions and issues of the day and is thus able to support his position by intelligent argument. He is not an office seeker, however, preferring to concentrate his efforts and attention upon his business affairs, and by reason of his close application and indefatigable enterprise he has worked his way steadily upward, meeting with well deserved success.
[Source: History of Wyoming: Volume 3 - Page 237, Ichabod Sargent Bartlett - 1918 ]
William M. Laughlin, justice of the peace at Granville and one of the respected and leading citizens of the village, has been closely identified with its material progress and its community interests. He was born in Bond county, Illinois, July 29, 1826, and is a representative of one of the early families of the new world. During a pioneer epoch in the history of the United States, three brothers of the name came from Scotland and two of them settled in Pennsylvania, while one took up his abode in South Carolina.
Samuel D. Laughlin
A grandson of the latter was S. D. Laughlin, father of our subject. He was born in South Carolina and was married in Ohio, after which he came to Illinois, settling in Bond county in the early '20's. His wife bore the maiden name of Rebecca Dunlavy and was a native of the Buckeye state. After living for some years in Bond county the parents came to Putnam county in 1830 and remained in the log cabin of Nelson Shepherd, south of Florid, until they could build a cabin on their own land. Mr. Laughlin pre-empted between three and four hundred acres of land, which he secured from the government, but it was not in the market until 1835. When it came into his possession not a furrow had been turned or an improvement made upon the place, the entire tract being just as it was when it came from the hand of nature. He cut the trees, hewed the timber and sawed the lumber in a steam sawmill at Florid, after which he built a frame house. He performed much of the arduous labor incident to the developement and improvement of a new farm, and as the years passed by, carefully conducted his business interests up to the time of his death, which was occasioned by pneumonia when he was fifty-two years of age. His wife died when about fifty years of age. In their family were eight children, four sons and four daughters, and the daughters are now deceased. A brother of our subject (William), James G. Laughlin, is living in Princeton, Illinois. The eldest brother died in Kansas, while the youngest brother, Addison Laughlin, is now living in Kewanee, Wisconsin.
William M. Laughlin
William M. Laughlin was only four years of age when brought by his parents to Putnam county, and he began work in the fields when he was so young that he was only able to do one-half of the amount of the men employed. In early days he would frequently make trips to Chicago with wheat, doing this about twice each fall, for the winter wheat was sown and much of the farm work of the year was done. A team of horses would be hitched to the wagon and in that he would convey the wheat to market, it usually requiring about ten days to make the trip. His father owned five head of horses, which he brought with him from Bond county, but there were no fences and all of the horses strayed away with the exception of one, which, however, was gone for some time. Thus amid pioneer conditiions and environments the days of his boyhood and youth were passed by Mr. Laughlin, who continued to make his home upon the old farm until his parents died.
The following year he was married to Miss Elizabeth J. Thatcher, who was born in Vermont, October 25, 1830, a daughter of Benjamin Thatcher, who settled in the county in 1845 near Union Grove church. For a year after their marriage they lived upon the old homestead and Mr. Laughlin then purchased an improved farm of eighty acres, where he lived three years. He afterward developed and improved a farm south of Granville, and he continued to engage actively in agricultural pursuits until after the outbreak of the Civil war.
In 1864, prompted by a spirit of patriotism, he offered his services to the government and joined Company B, One Hundred and Thirty-ninth Illinois Volunteer Infantry, under Captain Jefferson Durley. He was in one hundred days' service and went as far south as Cairo, Illinois, being mustered out after five months. In order to go to the war he left his home and wife with four small children, the oldest not over ten years of age. Though his service was comparatively short, yet he did not know where he would be sent or what he would encounter before he returned home, and it certainly required a great personal sacrifice on his part to leave his wife with the care of their little ones when fate held for him nothing but uncertainty.
Unto Mr. and Mrs. Laughlin were born six children, of whom five are yet living: Ella C., now the wife of Robert M. Pritchett, a druggist living at Dana, Illinois; Mrs. C. C. Watts, of Rutland, Illinois; Hattie, the wife of Allen Ramsey, who is living at Wheaton, Minnesota; Cassius, who died at the age of a year and a half; Maggie A., the wife of William A. Lake, a resident of LaSalle county; and Bessie, the wife of H. E. Raley, sheriff of Putnam county.
After the war Mr. Laughlin removed to Granville, where he engaged in carpenter work until a few years ago, and many buildings in the town and vicinity were partly erected by him. He has lived a life of industry, working resolutely to provide for his family, and a fair measure of success has been accorded him. In 1905 he was called upon to mourn the loss of his wife, who died on the 15th of May of that year. After her death he no longer cared to live in the old home and sold that property, since which time he has erected a new cottage in the east part of the town. He has served as justice of the peace for thirty years, but has held no other public office. In the justice court, however, he has proved a most capable official, and his decisions have been strictly fair and impartial, so that he has "won golden opinions from all sorts of people". When a young boy he united with the Presbyterian church and has always led an earnest Christian life. In 1848 he voted for Martin Van Buren, candidate for president on the free soil ticket, and since the organization of the republican party has been one of its stalwart champions.
Probably no resident of the county has resided so long within its borders, and the years of his continuous connection with this part of the state well entitle Mr. Laughlin to prominent mention in this work. He has a most retentive memory, and is considered authority on all matters relating to the early history of the community. he recalls many interesting incidents, in some of which he was an active participant. He remembers well the controversy and division in the Union Grove Presbyterian church, the Ramsey hanging and the attempt to return a runaway negro by the name of Frank. All of these were important events in the early days. His memory forms a connecting link between the primitive past and the progressive present, and to present in detail his experiences in this county would be to give a correct picture of pioneer life and later progress here. Long since has the stage coach and the "prairie schooner" given way before the railroad train, the log cabin has been replaced by the commodious and substantial fram, brick or stone dwelling, crude farm machinery has been supplanted by the reaper, the mower, the harvester and the thresher, and today there is little evidence to show that hardly more than a half century ago the county was still but very sparsely settled and the work of improvement had scarcely begun.
Taken From the Past and Present of Marshall and Putnam Counties
TAKEN FROM THE PUTNAM RECORD, HENNEPIN, IL
Again we are called upon to chronical the death of another old pioneer and citizen of Putnam County, that of William M. Laughlin. After a sickness of about 4 weeks, the result of a fall and fractured hip, he succumbed to his injuries and the infirmaties of old age and passed peacefully into the great beyond at the home of his daughter Mrs. H.E. Raley at 1:15 PM on Saturday, March 10, 1917 in his 91st year. With his parents he came to Putnam County in 1830, when but four years of age and continued to reside in this county the rest of his life time and had the distinction of having resided in the county longer than any person now living.
By his long residence in the county, he was personally known to every person in the county by whom he was respected and loved. The deceased had a remarkable memory, was a devout student of the bible and was well versed in national affairs. He was a man of strong moral courage and convictions being ever ready to assert them in the interest of his country and rightousness when necessary. .....The funeral was held at the home of H.E. Raley at 9:00 Monday morning with a prayer by Reverend R.W. Ames following which the funeral cortege wended its way to Granville where services were held at the Congregational Church, Reverend R.K. Stetson officiating and were attended by a large gathering of friends and neighbors to pay their last respects to his memory. Internment was made in the family lot in the Granville city cemetery beside his wife and son who had preceded him. F.I. Peterson, mortician............. The following obituary was read at the funeral.
William Martin Laughlin, son of Samuel D. Laughlin and Rebecca Dunlavy Laughlin was born in Bond County, Illinois July 29, 1826. In 1830 the family removed to Putnam County and settled near Union Grove. He was married June 7, 1849 to Miss Elizabeth Jane Fletcher who removed from Vermont to Putnam County with her relatives and neighbors, driving all the way with teams. A large family is now represented by one son, James G. Laughlin of Princeton, IL - age 92 years. The subject of this sketch passed away at 1:15, March 10, 1917 after which a month’s illness caused by a fall in which his hip was broken causing much suffering, age 90 years, 11 months and 7 days. He was a private Co. B 109th regiment of Il. Inf. Vol.
Since the death of his wife, May 15, 1905 he has resided until 2 years ago at his home in Granville, IL. Since then making his home with his daughter Mrs. H.G. Raley in Hennepin. Six children were born to Mr. and Mrs. Laughlin of whom 5 are living. Ella C. Pritchette, Hellen C. Watts, Hennie A. Ramsey, Maggie A. Lake and Bessie J. Raley. Cassius M. the only son died at the age of 1 1/2 in the year 1862. There are nine grandchildren and 2 great-grandchildren.
Possessing a great and accurate memory, he was often called upon to settle points of law which came up for adjustment. He served many years as justice of the peace and was present at the Lincoln-Douglas debates in Ottawa in 1858. Had seen, heard and known, Ichabod Cotting, Benjamin Lundy, Orin Lovejoy and other eloquent advocates of liberty and rightousness. He was a member of the Congregational church for many years and used his influence for Christ and humanity.
Taken From The Biographical record of Bureau, Marshall and Putnam Counties, Illinois.
Among the pioneer settlers of Putnam county, the Leech family is especially worthy of notice in a work of this kind, as its members have long been prominently identified with its interests. John Leech, the father, was born and reared in Washington county, Pennsylvania, and when a young man removed to Jefferson county, Ohio. He was well educated, having attended Jefferson college, now Washington and Jefferson college at Cannonsburgh, Pennsylvania.
In Jefferson county, Ohio, John Leech married Miss Mary Parr, of Scotch-Irish descent, born in the north of Ireland. When a child she became a resident of Jefferson county, where their marriage was celebrated in 1811, and there nine children were born to them. It was in May, 1832, that they landed at Peoria, Illinois, having come by way of the Ohio, Mississippi and Illinois rivers, and there the father purchased eighty acres of land, which now lies within the cay limits. As his family were in poor health at that place, in April, 1833, he removed to the farm near Florid, still owned and occupied by members of the family. He secured three hundred and twenty acres at the government price of one dollar and a quarter per acre. A small cabin had been erected by the party who laid claim to the tract and he added another log cabin, but later built a frame house after a null was started in the vicinity. He also became the owner of other tracts of good land in Putnam, Warren and Pike counties. His death occurred on the home farm here in 1839 - at the age of sixty-six years.
In the family were nine children who grew to maturity, namely: James, who married Electa Hawks, and died in 1852, leaving a widow and seven children, the widow also now being deceased; Robert, born May 18, 1814, died August 4, 1895, at the age of eighty-one years; Jane married Lucian Livingston, a farmer, in Putnam county, by whom she had eight children. He died some years ago, and the widow is now living in Chicago; John Walker married Virginia B. Turner, and now resides in Hennepin. He owns a farm adjoining the old homestead, as well as his home in the village. Their children died in infancy; Mary is the widow of Rev. James Templeton, and resides on the old home farm; Susanna, who died two years ago, was the wife of Captain James Campbell Moore, of Peoria; Margaret first married Alexander Armstrong, and after his death, Gaspard L. Tetu, of Peoria; Samuel Gilmore manages the old homestead, and Elizabeth is the wife of Dr. J. T. Milling, of Peru.
After his father's death, Robert Leech took charge of the business, carrying on the home farm, and became the father of the family. In connection with his brother, Samuel G., he added to the original farm a tract of one hundred and sixty acres, and there devoted his attention to general farming and stock-raising with excellent success. He was very active in public matters, was a strong democrat in politics, and often served as a delegate to the conventions of his party. For some years he was supervisor of his township, and also held the offices of commissioner and school director. During the war he took an active and leading part in public affairs, and did much toward relieving the distress of many a soldier's widow.
Samuel G. Leech, the youngest son of the family, as he grew up aided his brother in the operation of the farm, and by purchase, became half owner of the place. For about ten years he dealt in grain at Hennepin, but since that time has given his entire attention to the cultivation and improvement of the farm. After the death of his brother he became sole owner.
The mother, whose death occurred in April, 1888, at the advanced age of ninety-three years was ever devoted to the interests of her home and family, and was well preserved, retaining all her faculties to the last. A consistent member of the United Presbyterian church, she was a great Bible student and followed closely its teachings. She had a wide acquaintance throughout the county, and her house was ever open for the entertainment of her many friends, and she also took great pleasure in extending her hospitality to many noted men of the state.
In attending the various district and state conventions, Robert Leech had won the friendship of many prominent men, and at one time "vas a candidate for the legislature. He was a man of much natural ability and was well read, but never cared for discussion and did not force his views on others. He was never involved in litigation, but still maintained his rights and made no enemies.
Rev. James Templeton, who married Miss Mary A. Leech, was a native of Union county, Pennsylvania, and died December 3 1843, after a short married life of only three years and a half. He was of Scotch-Irish descent. and his boyhood was passed in his native state and at Jefferson college at Cannonsburgh, he secured both his classical and theological education. He at once entered the work of the ministry in Ohio, and in 1839 came to Illinois, organizing the Associate church at Granville. Putnam county, which has now disbanded. He devoted his entire time and attention to the Master's cause. and was a most earnest and devout Christian. He lies buried at Union Grove cemetery. Two children were born to Mr. and Mrs. Templeton -Samuel Rutherford, well and favorably known throughout the county who died July 22. 1893 and Mary C. On coming to Putnam county. Mr. Templeton purchased several tracts of land which are still owned by his heirs. His death was a sad loss not alone to the wife and children. but to the community and the church he loved so well.
|Jehu and Rachel Lewis
Charles L. Lewis is at present the county attorney of Otter Tail County, Minnesota, with headquarters at Fergus Falls, the county seat of said county. Mr. Lewis is a native of Ottawa, Illinois, and was born on the 8th of March 1852. He is the son of Hon. Samuel R. and Ann (Harley) Lewis who were natives of Pennsylvania.
Samuel R. Lewis came to Illinois when fourteen years of age with his parents, who were Jehu and Rachel Lewis, both of whom were natives of Pennsylvania. He was a farmer by occupation, and on coming to Illinois settled in Putnam County. He had a family of three children - Joseph, Elizabeth and Samuel R. Jehu Lewis, the grandfather of the subject of our sketch, died in Putnam County, Illinois. The grandmother died in Ottawa, La Salle County, of that State. The Lewis family is of Welsh and English descent.
Hon. Samuel R. Lewis was reared on a farm in his early life and has followed that occupation ever since. He is now located at Ottawa, Illinois. He is an extensive farmer and deals largely in blooded stock, principally horses. From 1856 to 1860 he held the office of treasurer of La Salle County and from 1879 to 1883 was State Senator. He had four sons - William R., a farmer living in La Salle County, Illinois; Edward C., early in life a lawyer, but for the last ten years engaged in raising blooded stock, horses and cattle; Charles L. and Samuel M., a farmer who runs the home farm. The father's family being in good circumstances, the children were all well-educated. The father is still living, is a republican in politics and is one of the prominent men in that party in the State of Illinois.
Charles L. Lewis, the subject of our sketch, remained under the parental roof until he was eighteen years of age. Up to this time he had attended school during the winters and worked upon the farm during the summer months. On reaching the age of eighteen he attended the high school at Ottawa, Illinois, for one year, after which he spent four years in the University of Chicago, then two years at Oberlin College in Ohio, from which institution he graduated in 1876. He then spent one year at home on the farm, after which he read law in the office of Judge Charles B. Lawrence, of Chicago, continuing his reading through the years 1878 and 1879. In 1879 he was admitted to the bar in Chicago, and in the fall of that year moved to Fergus Falls, Otter Tail County, Minnesota, where he tried his first case in a justice's court.
During the year 1882 he was associated with M. R. Tyler. This partnership was dissolved in 1883. Mr. Lewis has followed his profession with good results throughout his entire career in Fergus Falls. In 1880 he was elected clerk of the school board, which position he held for three years. He was elected county attorney in 1884 and re-elected in 1886, being the present incumbent of that office. He is one of the stockholders and a director in the Otter Tail Flouring Mill; is president of the Fergus Falls Electric Light and Power Company. He has made numerous investments in real estate in the city and county, owning several valuable farms and considerable village property.
Mr. Lewis has always been a stanch republican, was a delegate to the Chicago convention in 1888, and ws one of the supporters of the present president of the United States. He has been an important factor in local and State politics and has been a delegate to the State convention several times.
Mr. Lewis was married in 1880 to Miss Jennie D. Moore, the daughter of Charles D. Moore, of Minneapolis. Three children have blessed this union - one daughter and two sons. Their names are - Laura, William M. and Charles L., Jr.
The subject of our sketch has been very successful in all his business and professional transactions in Fergus Falls. He has been prominent in politics, careful in his profession, and has rendered valuable aid in all that has tended to the improvement of his adopted city. He owns a fine cottage residence which he built in 1880 in the western part of the city. His property is beautifully located on a rise of ground overlooking the city.
[Source: Illustrated Album of Biography of the Famous Valley of the Red River of the Valley of the Red River of the North and the Park Regions, Including the Most Fertile and Widely-Known Portions of Minnesota and North Dakota, Chicago, Alden, ogle & Company, 1889]
| WILLIAM L. LUNDY.
Widely known and highly esteemed in the business circles of Clarinda, William L. Lundy is conducting a real-estate, loan and insurance office in connection with J. W. Cozad, under the name of the Clarinda Real Estate Company. He has resided in this city since 1880, coming to Page county from Lacon, Marshall county, Illinois. He is one of the native sons of that state, his birth having occurred in Putnam county, Illinois, on the 3d of March, 1856. His parents were Benjamin C. and Catharine (Haines) Lundy, the former a practicing physician. While spending his boyhood days in his parents' home, William L. Lundy pursued his education and then qualified for the conduct of a drug business, being admitted to that field of labor by license from the state board of pharmacists, successfully passing the pharmacists' examination in 1880. He then entered the drug business and for a number of years engaged in clerking in different drug stores but subsequently purchased a store which he conducted with continued success under his own name for nineteen years. His business enterprise stands as an unquestioned fact in his career. He has never regarded any position as final but rather as the starting point for new endeavor and his ready discrimination between the essential and non-essential has been one of the most important elements in his success. Not all of his time has been given to individual interests in business affairs, for he has devoted considerable attention to public service. He acted for eight years as city clerk, his continuance in the office being proof of the trust and confidence reposed in him by his fellow-townsmen. In 1901 he was elected county treasurer and again for the succeeding three terms, making a total of seven years in that office. He retired from the position in January, 1909, with the confidence and good will of all concerned, for in the faithful discharge of his duties he had proven his loyalty and capability. For a long period he has been a recognized leader in republican circles and for three terms was chairman of the Page county republican committee. His work for his party has been of an effective nature but while he is a firm believer in its principles he never sacrifices the general good to partisanship nor does he place personal aggrandizement before the general welfare. Since retiring from office he has engaged in the real estate, loan and insurance business under the name of the Clarinda Real Estate Company and is now associated with J. W. Cozad in the conduct of important interests of that character.
On the 21st of October, 1885, Mr. Lundy was married to Miss Alice C. Clement, a daughter of A. T. Clement, a leading merchant of Clarinda. They now have one child, Lorene, at home. Mr. Lundy is a member of the Masonic fraternity, in which he has taken high rank, having attained the thirty-second degree in the Scottish Rite. He also belongs to the Mystic Shrine. Few men in Clarinda are more prominent or more widely known in business circles than Mr. Lundy, for through a considerable period he has been associated with its development while by his own capable management and close application he has worked his way upward until he now occupies a place among the substantial and well-to-do citizens.
[Source: History of Page County, Iowa: Volume 2 - Page 212, W. L. Kershaw - 1909 ]