Putnam County, Illinois History and Genealogy
Add for Blacksmithing (Jan. 31, 1846 - The Hennepin Herald)
One hundred People to Immigrate to Oregon
The Hennepin Herald and Bureau Advertisement
January 31, 1846
The Subscriber takes this method of informing his old friends and customers, that having returning from a recent
visit to the east, he is now prepared to execute all work entrusted into his care with dispatch and in the most
workmen-like manner, such as shoeing horses, ironing wagons, carriages and c. Having had an extensive experience
in the various departments of blacksmithing, he flatters himself that he will be able to give satisfaction to all
who may favor him with their patronage. He can be found anytime at the old stand near Florid. --- Joseph Cassell
J.C. Ham's Hotel
The Ottawa Free Trader, January 16, 1846
J. C. Ham's
Hotel and General Stage Office, Hennepin, Ill.
Situated on High Street, one square from the river. This house has undergone thorough repairs, and also new additions of several private rooms. In addition to the above there is an excellent bar, where he always keeps on hand the best of liquors. Attached thereto is a large Barn, Stable and out sheds. Persons favoring him with a call will find him obliging and attentive to their wants.
N.B. River passengers, who step with him, shall have their baggage taken to and from the boats free of charge.
J. C. Ham
Hennepin, Oct. 31, 1845
New Post Office
The Ottawa Free Trader, Ottawa, Illinois, May 14, 1847
A New Post Office has been established at Granville, Putnam County, Ill., and Mr. W. A. Pennell, appointed Postmaster.
Rudolph Kennig Alive in Putnam County
Wisconsin Tribune (Mineral Point, Wisconsin), April 21, 1853
The Murdered Man Found
Rudolph Kennig, for whose murder two men are about being tried in New York city, is now in Magnolia, Putnam Co., Illinois. He was in the employ of George P. Gates, now living at LaSalle, La Salle Co., Illinois, a contractor on the Illinois Central Railroad, when he was supposed to have been murdered. Kendig says they may have killed somebody else, but he is willing to swear that it was not him.
Illinois State Chronicle (Decatur, Illinois) April 17 1856
We have received the first number of a neat paper, (average size) printed in Hennepin, Putnam county, Illinois,
Wm. H. Gerald Burney and J. Elliot Duncan editors and proprietors. It is ably edited, giving a large share of attention
to the local matters of the town and country; independent in politics, but not neutral. Success editorially and
a "phat" take financially, to the new paper.
Taken From "The Courier" Newspaper, Henry, IL
June 19, 1857
We stated last week that a new post office has been established at Senachwine, Putnam Co., IL. and we learn that it is furnished by a daily north and south mail by the railroad. During the week we have received two or three new subscribers to the Courier from this office and should like to receive a few more. If any of our old subscribers living in that vicinity, who now get their paper at this office, wish to have them sent to Senachwine, we will make the change upon being notified to that affect.
Taken From the Marshall County Republican
June 25, 1868
We learn from N. Shepherd of Granville, that the first Sabath School organized in Northern Illinois was at Union Grove, Putnam County, June 28, 1829 in a log house without a floor. Children came barefoot and in pioneer style. Out of all that school there is only seven of the children left. The rest have all gone to that born which we are all hastening. Of another school 150 miles distance, there are only 3 of the teachers living. Where will the children and the teachers that go to make up the schools of our day be in 40 years from now?
Taken From the Henry Republican
Horse fair at Hennepin tomorrow. Good “going” promised.
Langden, arrested in Putnam county for horse-stealing, was bound over to have his trial at the next term of court.
Augustus Cassell offers himself to the people of Putnam county as an independent candidate for sheriff. Will submit his claims to a people’s convention of(if) one is held.
The new steam mill at Snachwine is nearly completed. It will do principally custom work to accommodate the farmers. It is to be “dubbed the “Star” mill”.
J. M. Small is “large” in the way of business. He keeps a large assortment of clocks, watches, jewelry, etc., on hand at his store at Hennepin, and is a pleasant man to deal with.
The census of Putnam county is completed. Population 6284, dwellings, 1151, families 1146. By this it seems that “Little Put” goes backward, as the census of 1865 gave it 6311. In 1860 the population amounted to 6587.
Taken From the Henry Republican
Putnam County News
The supervisors of Putnam county have authorized the issue of county bonds to the amount of $25,000, in favor of the K. & I. R.R.R. The contract for the constructing the road is let from Plymouth to Lostant, in La Salle county, and the balance will probably be contracted for within a few days. The grading of the road from Kankakee is prospering finally.
A. H. Evans furnishes the following to the Record, embracing the census report of one schedule only:
Town Pop. Dwel’gs Families Granville 1670 266 272 Hennepin 2144 420 410 Magnolia 1667 322 322 Snachwine 808 143 142 Total 6284 1151 1146
The Magnolia graded school opened on the 13th inst., with Miss Hattie Fyffe as principal, Miss Mary Younger, teacher of intermediate department, and Miss Beatrice Fyffe of primary department. Mr. D. Meaher had been engaged, and after opening the school found it too far advanced for him and resigned. Miss F. succeeds him.
The town trustees advertise for sealed bids for the lease of the ferry at Hennepin, for one years, commencing October 6th. Bids will be received up to 4 o’clock, p.m. Oct. 3, and must be marked "Proposals for Ferry," and addressed to W. H. Casson. The people than hope a boat will be furnished, wherein the life of man and team will not be jeopardized.
Taken From the Henry Republican
Putnam County News - Magnolia
The two twin children of H. K. Smith have been afflicted with scarlet fever, one of them being entirely disabled there from since February. In a neighborhood of Clear Creek, hardly a family has escaped it, several having died, and others more or less disabled by it.
April 9, 1874
Putnam county News, Miscellaneous items
David Parkin has secured the mail route between Tonica, Magnolia and Caledonia. $580 per year for carrying the mail between Tonica and Magnolia and Mt. Palatine daily and $75 between Magnolia and Caledonia. An effort is being made to so enhance the route as to ride from Magnolia to Tonica and Henry every day alternately.
December 31, 1874
Putnam county News
The Granville people have a newspaper, “The Granvillian”, published by the Blake brothers. That is a hard name to spell and it won’t be long before some bad speller will be sticking in a “D” between the “N” and “V”. It will be just like some sour cuss to do it.
The mail order is established as follows: from Magnolia to Lostant 6 times a week; from Magnolia to Henry 3
times a week. We have got it now just as we wanted and everybody is suited.
Putnam County Musical Convention
The Ottawa free trader., June 19, 1880, Page 8
The Putnam County Musical Convention will be held at Union Grove June 22-25 inclusive. Dr. Geo. F. Root will act as conductor. The visitors will be entertained free and met at trains at Tonica and Bureau on notifying the secretary, P. B. Durley, Hennepin, Ill.
Taken From the Toluca Star Herald
Feb. 13, 1903 -Front Page -Magnolia News
The T.M. & N. sawmill is getting in a large stock of logs preparatory for sawing the coming spring. Eleven teams are hauling logs on sleds and 10 men are cutting logs, making 21 men on the pay roll.
|Taken From the Putnam Record
August 4, 1898
The party that went to the Klondyke from Lostant last spring, are, all but three, on their way home. James Henning, one of the party, wrote to his wife last week from Seattle, that they lost a large quantity of their provisions and did not find any gold so far, and concluded to return home. Disappointment has met many who ventured a trip to the frozen Klondike.
Thos. Dore and family have moved into the house owned and lately vacated by J. B. Davis, and as soon as some repairs can be made on the house vacated by Mr. Dore, which is owned by Jeff Durley, he and his family will occupy the same. This will be Mr. Durley's first move in over 30 years, but the location will be much more convenient for him than where he has resided so many years.
Three boys did a little egg trick Wednesday evening of last week that got them into trouble. As Allie Thomason came out of the Congregational church, she was hit by an egg thrown by one of the boys and another of the trio put one in another boys hat, smashed th hat down on the boys head and of course, broke the egg and smeared it all over his head. Two of the boys were arrested Friday and one was fined $3 and costs, but there was no evidence against the other and he was discharged. The third fellow has evaded arrest so far by leavin gtown. It was rather expensive fun and the boys will hardly indulge in it again soon.
Granville- Aug 1: William Hurin is erecting a new barber shop in town, just east of the butcher shop. His old rooms will be fitted up for the M.W.A. hall.
June 10, 1880
Taken From the Henry Republican
The Union Grove church, Rev. H. McVay, pastor, the pioneer church of Putnam county, celebrated the 50th anniversary of its establishment of Sunday, June 6th. An anniversary sermon was preached on the occasion by the pastor.
March 17, 1881
Taken From the Henry Republican
A small colony from Putnam county, with five car loads of stock and household goods, have started for Newell, Iowa, near where they will locate on farms.
Mrs. Elizabeth Durley Votes in First Election (1895)
Southwest-sentinel. (Silver City, N.M.), March 05, 1895, Image 4
Mrs. Elizabeth Durley
Mrs. Elizabeth Durley of Hennepin, Ills., exercised at the last election, Nov. 6, the limited suffrage right given her by the laws of that state. Mrs. Durley is in her eighty-fifth year, but she walked briskly to the polls, and after casting her ballot did some needed shopping. As she went home and spent the rest of the day in hemstitching a tablecloth it is argued that she in no wise unsexed herself. No one was better pleased to see Mrs. Durley vote than her venerable husband, Mr. Williamson Durley, who has been a stanch and life-long advocate of woman suffrage as well as of other reform. - Woman's Journal.
Granville See Their First Train
The Daily Review Decatur, IL, 7 Aug 1900
It is being told that when the three I railroad was being put through Putnam County and the first train approached Granville, a large crowd of spectators where there to see their first railway train. A heavy rain was falling and many umbrellas were up. The train stopped a quarter of a mile from the depot and a brakeman came running toward the crowd. With open mouths they asked what the matter was. The reply was that the locomotive was scared at the umbrellas. In one instant every umbrella was closed and the train slowly pulled up to the depot.
Nash Garage on Hard Road Leased to Hennepin Man
Ray Warner, who has been conducting a Nash service station on the hard road just at the edge of town, has rented his garage to LaVon Clemens of Hennepin. Mr. Clemen's son Harry will conduct the business. The garage will be run on the same basis, but Mr. Clemens will not sell Nash cars. He is planning on putting in new oil pumps and making this a first-class service station for mechanical work and repairs of all kinds. Mr. Warner has not as yet decided what he will do, but was urged to give up this work on account of his health.
Thursday, May 15, 1930
The Chief Senachwine mounds, "happy hunting ground" of Chief Senachwine, and hundreds of his Pottawatomie braves, who in the early nineteenth century dominated this section of Illinois, has been converted into a park which was opened to the public last week by Walter Winship and George Wheeler, owners of the land upon which the mounds are located, one-half mile north of the village of Putnam.
Between seven and eight acres of land are covered by the mounds, in which it is estimated that more than a thousand Indians are buried. Many of the mounds are from 12 to 15 feet high and contain scores of bodies superimposed upon each other in the grave. Mr. Wheeler has dug up 47 of the skeletons from the burial ground and one of them is on exhibition.
The owners of the Indian burial ground, both of whom are old residents of Putnam, have spent 35 years collecting Indian relics and during that time have amassed more than 5,000 specimens. These they have placed in a museum near the mounds, and may also be inspected. Included in the exhibit are 600 pieces of Indian money removed from Indian graves, arrows, spears, pipes, scalping knives, axes and many other relics of Indian life. There is a stone axe of perfect shape, which weighs 20 pounds, and a number of smaller axes which weigh 12 to 15 pounds. Mr. Wheeler and Mr. Winship have scoured the Illinois for a distance of five or six miles in either direction from Putnam in gathering their collection.
Hundreds of tourists have stopped at the mounds during the past few years and the owners have received so many
compliments upon the spectacle that this year they decided to make the nominal charge of 25 cents for visiting
the park and seeing the museum. Signs have been erected on the state highway near Putnam pointing out the direction
to the mounds, which are open on Sunday and every day during the week.
Mrs. Grace Davis Leaves Trust for Students
Dixon Evening Telegraph 10 Jun 1948
McNabb Woman Leaves Trust for Students
McNabb, Ill, June 10 - The will of the late Mrs. Grace S. Davis establishes a trust fund of about $74,000 for education of worthy high school graduates of Lostant and Magnolia, two near-by communities. Charles A. Whitney, McNabb banker, who was named trustee, said today he expects to have the trust fund ready for operation by the start of the 1949-50 school term. Mrs. Davis' will was filled in LaSalle County Probate court this week.
Carr Brothers Win Grand Championship at Hog Show
Dixon Evening Telegraph 25 Aug 1955
Brother Teams Win Top Prizes in Swine Show
Chicago (AP) - Two brother-teams took the top prizes in the Chicago Junior Market Hog Show at the Union Stockyards Wednesday. Larry and Duanne Carr, 10 and 12 respectively, won the grand championships for both a single hog and a pen of three. The Carr boys, sons of Mr. and Mrs. Harold Carr, who own a 700-acre farm at McNabb in Putnam County, showed a 200-pound Hampshire which was judged best of 620 hogs entered by 4-H Club and Future Farmers of America members from 17 Illinois counties. The winning purebred was one of the three hogs in their pen of three, which also took top prize. The reserve grad championships for individual hogs and a pen of three were exhibited by another brother-team, Curt and Keith Tuttle of Earlville, LaSalle County. They also showed Hampshires.