The Cordova Cemetery
Association was incorporated in February of 1855 after there was
a purchase of a five acre plot of land east of the town. The
Association was composed of the owners of the lots in the
cemetery and doubtless as was the custom of the day, the care of
the lots was the responsibility of the owners.
In 1879 a wooden fence was
erected along the front of the cemetery and a wire fence around
the rest. This not only defined the area but kept the livestock
from the surrounding farms away from the cemetery plots. The
tool house, built in 1897, no longer stands today.
The oldest grave recorded on a
headstone is 1845. Since the records prior to 1881 were lost,
the earliest recorded sale of a lot is 1880.
A curious headstone is that of
17 year old Jeremiah J. Pearson which states that he died on
February 31st! This is a mystery since no February has 31 days.
Many early pioneers and their
families are buried in this cemetery. Thanks to the cemetery
association, many improvements have been made and it has been
extremely well maintained over the years and is a beautiful part
of the community.
The cemetery records are
maintained by Vernon Hazlett and may be found at
Volunteer Jerry Guinn
photographed most of the headstones in 1999 and those photos are
available at the Cordova District Library.