Rock Island County, Illinois Genealogy Trails
The First Catholic Congregation
Catholic -The first Catholic congregation was formed in Rock Island at an early day, under the charge and with the occasional work of Father Alleman, a German Dominican Friar, who died in St. Louis shortly after the war. The congregation was composed chiefly of Irish, French and German emigrants. Services were at first held in a cooper-shop.
After this period Father Alleman built a small Catholic church where St. Mary's church now stands.
All the cut stone used in this building was taken from the ruins of the Mormon Temple at Nauvoo.
When a new building became necessary, in 1866, the same stone was used for the residence of the priest.
In 1874 it was thought best to divide the congregation, forming one for the English-speaking people and anther for the Germans.
[Source: Portrait and Biographical album of Rock Island County, Illinois; 1885 -Transcribed by Candi H.© 2009]
Rock Island County, Illinois
Genealogy Trails History Group is a Volunteer Organization Dedicated to providing FREE access to Historical and Genealogical Data.
© 2006 - 2014 by Genealogy Trails - All Rights Reserved - With full rights reserved for original submitters.