Rock Island County, Illinois Genealogy Trails
The Methodist Episcopal Church was founded by the Reverend G. G. Worthington in 1842 or 1843. Among its members were Harmon G. Reynolds, E. F. Arcularius and wife, and Nancy Thompson; the membership being eleven. The church has belonged to respectively the Rock Island circuit, Moline circuit, Port Byron circuit, when in 1865 the Hampton circuit was organized. In 1870 Hampton was joined to Zuma and called Rock River circuit. In 1874 Zuma was cut off and Hampton circuit resumed.
The Congregational Church was organized February 15, 1853, by the Reverend A. B. Hitchcock, with a membership of fourteen. A church was built in 1856 and 1857, at a cost of $2,500. Historic Rock Island County, 1908, Transcribed by K. Torp
The Methodist Church had its organization here in the year 1842. The Rev. G. G. Worthington organized the first class which contained 11 members.
Among its members were: Harmand G. Reynolds, E. F. Arcularious and wife, Nancy Thompson
The church once belonged to Moline Circuit, then Port Byron, and in the year 1865 the Hampton Circuit was organized by B. C. Schwartz, with Rev. A. Freeman in charge. In 1870 Hampton was joined to Zuma and called Rock River Circuit. In 1874 Zuma being cut off, Hampton Circuit was again resumed with Rev. G. C. Woodruff in charge.
The present church building was erected during the years 1878-1879. Chas. S. Lee had a prominent part in raising the money for the building and was greatly assiste by the pastor, Rev. C. W. Sherman, E. F. Arcularious, J. B. Cox and many others. The contractors and builders were Hugh Fullerton and his son Henry.
The church has a good organization and an active Sunday School, efficiently officered, and taught by competent teachers. A Ladies' Aid society staunchly supports the pastor, Rev. J. V. Kennedy who thoroughly exemplifies his calling.Information submitted by Mary and Rock Nelson of the Hampton Historical Society A History of Hampton, Illinois 1838-1938, by George McNabney
The Congregational ChurchInformation submitted by Mary and Rock Nelson of the Hampton Historical Society A History of Hampton, Illinois 1838-1938, by George McNabney
Now the Hampton Community Hall
The Congregational Church was organized February 15, 1853, by Rev. A. B. Hitchcock, and started with a membership of 14 among whom were the following:
Luther Pearsall and wife
Elisha Barr and wife
Milton Ward and wife
David Jennings and wife
The house of worship still stands, but the tall steeple has been removed, leaving only the belfry. William Luce built the church during the years of 1856-1857, at the cost of about $2500. In this old church the Blacks, Bakers, Thomases, Vincents, Heagys, Stoddards, Clarks, Clapps, Cromptons, McNabeys and many others gathered to worship. The pastors were Rev. A. B. Hitchcock, Rev. Wm. Porter, Rev. Miles and Rev. Almer Harper.
Through removals and other causes, the membership dwindled and finally dissolved, some of the members joining the Methodist church. The trustees, by act of the remaining membes transferred the title to the building and lot to the village of Hampton, to be held in trust for the benefit and use of the Sons of Veterans and Ladies' Auxiliary, and other patriotic organizations. It is now called the Community Hall. The Church had a fine bell weighing over 600 pounds, and when it was firs installed, it used to be rung at 12 noon by Henry Clark to give the correct time. The bell is still there, but is seldom rung, its silence a reminder of the days long past.
Hampton Catholic Church
The earliest Catholic activity around this locality dates from the arrival of Father J. A. M. Pelamourgues, a French priest, who became St. Anthony's first local pastor in Davenport in 1839. His jurisdiction reached from Lyons.
In the 100-year old record at that church, one finds the names of Vogels, Yosts, Mohrs, Weigand, Scherschalls and others. It is said that Father Palamourgues used to go up to Hampton about twice a year and christen and confirm the children and say a mass. Nicholas Mohr remembers just such an occasion although he cannot remember in what house mass was held.
It was about 1845, after the Hampton ferry had started to run, that some of the members would cross to Iowa and walk to Davenport to attend mass. Just who the first Catholic was in Hampton is not known, but around 1845 to 1855, quite a few had settled around Hampton and Rapids City. There were the five Mohr brothers, Jacob, Peter, John, William and Paul; Nicholas Mock, Michael Hoffman, Christopher Weigand, Joseph Thomas, henry C. and Peter Glanz and Anton Kiefer from around Hampton. Those from around Rapids City were the Buckleys, Scherschals, Gumbers, Schniders, Colemans, and Mrs. Hofstetter. There was also a Mr. Schall of Port Byron.
Men and women bearing the above names formed the foundation of the church. After the Civil War came Joseph Hermes whose family alone was a fair start toward a congregation. There are some of the names that were listed in the early church records and their families formed the nucleus of the church organization. In 1856, St. Joseph's Catholic Church was dedicated in Davenport and Father Niermann, the German priest of that church, used to also visit and say mass in the surrounding towns and in the early days came occasionally to Hampton.
He officiated at the wedding of Joseph Hermes and Mary Mohr. After the Civil War, a famous and indefatigable missionary, Father J. G. Alleman of St. Louis arrived in Rock Island to serve that city and surrounding parishes. He was a Dominican Friar and was a giant of a man and thought nothing of walking from Rock Island to Hampton to say mass. His long legs made the trip easy for him.
Upon one occasion Jacob Mohr, the shoemaker, noting his worn boots, decided to make him a pair, which he did.
About 1865 a regular church organization was formed and a church was built. Oneof the Mohr boys remembes a story his parents told of how Father Alleman and the ladies of the organization picked blackberries from the surrounding hills in order to raise a few dollars to start the church fund.
The original church was built and located near the farm owned by George H. Wilkin. Adjoining the church yard was the cemetery which still contains some of the graves, but most of the remains have been removed to the Rapid City Cemetery. This church was still standing until 1879 for during that year the Hampton public school was burned down and school was held in the old Catholic church.
It was also during 1879 that the second Catholic church was built. It was a frame building and was located on the N. E. corner of Pearl and Locust Streets, on the same site as the present church, but faced west. It cost $2870. Sometime about 1900 it was destroyed by fire from some unknown cause, and at a later date, a third church was built, which is the present one. Jacob Mohr, one of the church's most active members, at one time taught a German class in his home as a sort of parochial school. As soon as conditions warranted it, the Rapids City members built their own church and the priest in charge officiated in both parishes. The present (1838) pastor is Rev. Father Michael Tracy who resides in Rapids City.
Information submitted by Mary and Rock Nelson of the Hampton Historical Society A History of Hampton, Illinois 1838-1938, by George McNabney
German Lutheran Church
On January 21, 1858 the old one-story brick school building was sold to the German Lutheran Church for $400. Here they held their services for about six years, after which they built their new church on the bluff two miles east of Hampton. The church is called the Zion Lutheran Church. After erecting their new church building, they sold the old building and lot to the Town of Hampton on Dec. 5, 1864 for $200.
Information submitted by Mary and Rock Nelson of the Hampton Historical Society A History of Hampton, Illinois 1838-1938 by George McNabney
|The Zion Lutheran
The Hampton Historical Society would like to know who these people are.
If you can name any of them please contact Mary Nelson #08C
Rock Island County, Illinois
Genealogy Trails History Group is a Volunteer Organization Dedicated to providing FREE access to Historical and Genealogical Data.
© 2006 - 2014 by Genealogy Trails - All Rights Reserved - With full rights reserved for original submitters.