Illinois Genealogy Trails

Rock Island County, Illinois Genealogy Trails


James K. MOTT, of Rock Island, died in that city a few days since. His death was caused by cholera morbus, aggravated by the extreme hot weather. "The Newton Press", Jasper County, IL July 27, 1887 - Submitted by Kim Torp 


BACK - Rock Island County, IL Genealogy Trails

John W. Magill
There was a large attendance at the John W. Magill funeral in Moline yesterday afternoon. The Rev. J.C.H Reid officiated.
The singing was by the members of the Baptist choir. The interment took place at Riverside.

Davenport Weekly Tribune, Thurs., Dec. 1, 1887, pg.4 [C. Horton -2009]

Name of Deceased: Sam Walsh
Newspaper: Buffalo News
Obit: Buffalo (WY) News, 22 April 1926, page 5
From a friend of Free Genealogy

Mr. Sam Walsh, brother of W. D. Walsh, passed away on the 2d of April from a paralytic stroke suffered four months ago. He has a homestead on Bilderback. He passed away at his home in Moline, Illinois. 


William A. Drury, one of the oldest living settlers in Muscatine Co., Iowa, died Friday at his home, 1018 Lombard Street in that city. He was born 16 February 1816 in Wayne Co., Indiana and resided there until 1822 when he moved with his parents to Morgan Co., Ill., where he lived until he was 18 years of age.

He then came to this part of the country on horseback and settled in Mercer Co., Ill. And ran a general store for several years. He then moved 4 miles above Muscatine on the Illinois side of the Mississippi River and there, with his brother, Reynolds Drury, founded Drury's Landing.

While living there, he married Miss Armilda M. Comstock on 29 Dec. 1844. They resided in the lower end of Rock Island County until 1845 when they moved to Muscatine with their son Ross. They resided on East 6th Street. He was mayor of Muscatine in 1850 and then started a grocery business on East 2nd Street which he operated until 12 years ago.

He is survived by his aged wife Armilda and his only child Ross plus a grand-daughter, Miss Alice K. Drury. He was the last in a family of 5 brothers and 4 sisters, all of whom with one exception, settled in Drury Twp., Rock Island Co.

Those who have preceded him in death are Mrs. Shepard Smalley of Muscatine, Iowa; Mrs. J. LeQuatte, Mrs. Malissa DeMoss and Mrs. Helen Terry, all of Rock Island County; and Miles Drury, Reynolds Drury, Silas Drury and Eli Drury, all of Drury twp.

B.S.G. No. 3, Fall 1999

Submitted by Mary Lou Schaechter

BACK - Rock Island County, IL Genealogy Trails

Soloman Freeburg

Retired Deere Employee Dies
Funeral for Soloman Freeburg, 90, Former Blacksmith, to be Saturday.

Soloman Freeburg, 90, who for the past two months had made his home with a daughter, Mrs. Carl Rosene, at 1121 1/2 Sixth Avenue, Moline, died in the Rosene residence at 6 o'clock last night after a 2-week illness. He had been in good health until two weeks ago, according to relatives.

Mr. Freeburg lived at 1108 Twelfth Street, Moline for 55 years, moving to his daughter's home two months ago. He worked as a blacksmith for Deere & Co. for 42 years, retiring 20 years ago.

Born July 12, 1858, in Smoland, Sweden, he came to the United States directly to Moline, when he was about 20 years old. He married Amanda Peterson in Moline Aug. 19, 1893; she died Jan. 6, 1938. He was a member of First Mission Covenant church. Surviving, besides Mrs. Rosene, is a half-brother, Noak Anderson of Hartford, Conn. A son died in 1910.
Funeral services will be at 1:30 o'clock Saturday afternoon in Esterdahl chapel, Moline, the Rev. Emil Bolin of First Mission Covenant church officiating. Burial will be in Riverside cemetery.
From the Rock Island Argus, August 12, 1948
Unknown Contributor - THANK YOU!

BACK - Rock Island County, IL Genealogy Trails

, a well-known citizen of Moline, was found dead in his rooms at an early hour a few mornings since. He had been given to periodical sprees, and the coroner's jury returned a verdict of "death from excessive drinking." He was 45 years of age and single. The Newton Press, Jasper County, IL - Apr 4, 1888
[contrib. by Kim Torp]

BACK - Rock Island County, IL Genealogy Trails



DAVENPORT- Francis L. Shaw, 80 yrs, of Davenport, died Wednesday, 24 Nov. 1999, at his home.

Services will be 2:30 p.m. Friday at Cunnick-Collins Mortuary, Davenport. Burial will be in Davenport Memorial Park. Visitation is 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. Friday at the mortuary.

He was born Sept. 16, 1919, in Wayne County, IL. He married Margaret Vickerman in 1941 in Rantoul, IL. During World War II, he served as a first lieutenant and B17 bomber pilot in the Army Air Corps. He also was a prisoner of war held in North Germany.

Memorials may be made to the family.

Survivors include his wife, a daughter: Barbara (Shaw) Olka of Davenport; sons, William Shaw of Lansing, Michigan, and Donald Shaw of Hayward, California: seven grandchildren: four great-grandchildren; and sisters, Icle Strandberg and Ola Qualman, both of Rockford, IL and Pearl Laube of Janesville, Wisconsin.

(note: Francis Shaw worked at a famous and large cafeteria; "Bishops Cafeteria" in Rockford, IL. Parents were Jesse & Novella (Dalton) Shaw of Wayne Co, IL. Jesse was a farmer and a priest in RLDS. Novella died 1 April 1926 from complications of delivery of Edward Henry Shaw b.13 Mar 1926 and died 31 Mar 1926. Both buried at Belvidere Cemetery, Boone Co, IL.

Jesse had walked away from RLDS when he believed one of the Elders was changing the scriptures,as told by his brother, Burl Shaw.

Jesse married Mahala (Barnard)1. Ferguson 2.Shaw and both died & buried in Bailey Cem,Crisp, Wayne Co, IL with her 1st husband, Roy Ferguson.

Predeceased; brother, Emmett Shaw (obit found on
Winnebago Co) , brother-in-law, Burdell Puddicombe (obit on Winnebago Co), sister: Louise "Lois" (Shaw) Badertscher who died 9 Nov. 1996 in nursing home at Portage, Columbia Co, Wisconsin and "Lois's",spouse, Werner Badertscher died 1 April 1997 in Machesney Park, Winnebago Co, IL.

Submitted by Marlene Olson

BACK - Rock Island County, IL Genealogy Trails


DAVENPORT - Margaret M. Shaw, 78 yrs, of Davenport, IA , died Wednesday, Dec 1, 1999, at Genesis Medical Center- East Campus, Davenport.

Services will be 2:30 p.m. Friday at Cunnick-Collins, Davenport. Burial will be in Davenport Memorial Park.

Visitation is 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. Friday at the mortuary.

Mrs. Shaw was employed more than 20 yrs as assistant manager at the YWCA Cafeteria, Moline. She retired in 1980.

Margaret Vickerman was born Feb 2, 1921, in Milton Junction, Wis. She married Francis Shaw in 1941 in Rantoul, IL . He died Nov 24, 1999.

Memorials may be made to the family.

Survivors include a daughter, Barbara Olka, Davenport; sons, Donald Shaw of Hayward, California, and William Shaw of Lansing, Michigan; seven grandchildren; four great-grandchildren; sister, Genevieve Augustine , Edgerton, Wis, Anne Entringer, Baytown, Texas, Rose Frittitta, Fort Atkinson, Wis, Alice McNall, Janesville, Wis, Mary Helen Schultz, Abbotsford, Wis, and Catherine Stehle, Madison, Wis.; and brothers, Francis Vickerman, Milton, Wis, James Vickerman, Tucson, Ariz. Thomas Vickerman, Janesville, and William Vickerman, Sun Prairie, Wis.

Submitted by Marlene Olson

BACK - Rock Island County, IL Genealogy Trails


Rock Island Argus
Winifred Norton

Winifred L. Norton, 87, Milan, died Tuesday February 23, 1999 at River Park Health Center, Rock Island. Interment is in Rock Island Memoral Park at a later date. Memorial may be made to the Milan First Presbyterian Church where she was a member. Family Funeral Services, Milan is handling the arrangements.

She was born October 21, 1911, in Milan, the daughter of Charles and Maude Brandenburg. She married Joseph Norton October 15, 1938 in Davenport. He died October 28, 1976. She was a housewife. She was also a member of IHN King's Daughters. She enjoyed fishing, bingo, euchre and dancing. Survivors include several nieces and nephews.
Unknown Contributor - THANK YOU!

BACK - Rock Island County, IL Genealogy Trails


The Rock Island Argus

Friday, Nov. 3, 2000

Services for
James R. "Jim" Seefeldt Sr. Milan will be 9:30 a.m. Saturday at Family Funeral Services Milan, Burial will be in Rock Island Memorial Park. Visitation is 5 - 7 p.m. Tuesday at the funeral home. Mr. Seefeldt died Wednesday November 1, 2000 at his home. He was employed 25 years as a welder in the experimental department of Deere and Co.

He retired in 1981. He was born November 7, 1919 in Iowa. He married Margie Francis in 1938 in Washington Iowa. She died in 1976. During Worl War II, he served in the Army. He recieved the Good Conduct Medal, two Bronze Stars, Phillippine Liberation Ribbon and the Asiatic Pacific Ribbon.

Memorials may be made to Visiting Nurses and Hospice Associations. Survivors include a daughter Sharon Leland, Milan, a son James Jr. Las Vegas, five grandchildren and brothers Walter, Muscatine, Iowa and Frank, Milan.

Submitted by Phyllis Pegg

BACK - Rock Island County, IL Genealogy Trails


Dorothea M. Connally, 89, of Alexis, formerly of Milan died at 3 p.m. Saturday, February 19, 1994 at the home of her daughter. She was born October 18, 1904, in Milan, the daughter of Charles and Maude Ranbarger Brandenburg. She attended school in Milan and Rock Island, graduating from Rock Island High School.

Dorothea married Robert Connally on July 22, 1925 in Rock Island and he preceded her in death on March 30, 1981. She worked for Illinois Bell as an operator in Rock Island. She had also worked at the Milan Post Office and Milan Independent as a type setter and proof reader. She resided in Milan all of her life and loved cooking and baking.

Surviving are one son and daughter in law, Robert (Wilma) Connolly of Bartesville, Oklahoma, Two daughters and one son in law, Phyllis Pegg of Milan and Donna (Ben) Randall of Alexis, one sister Winnifred L. Norton of Milan, 12 grandchildren and 15 great grand children.

Cremation will be acorded with interment of ashes in Memorial Park Cemetery, Rock Island. There will be no visitation and private services will be held at a later date.

Hoover-Hall Memorial Chapel, Alexis is in charge of arrangements.
Unknown Contributor - THANK YOU!

BACK - Rock Island County, IL Genealogy Trails

Obituaries not listed in Volume 1:(see below)

Mrs. Vivian Fox, 53, of 517 El Morado Ct., died in a San Bernardino hospital early today after an illness of more than three years.

A native of Cordova, Ill., she lived in California for 50 years and in Ontario 22 years. She lived in Pomona at one time. She was a member of the Ontario First Baptist Church.

Besides her husband, George Fox, she is survived by her mother, Mrs. B. L. Brown, of Pomona; two daughters, Shirley Doreen and Ila Louise, both of Ontario; two sisters, Mrs. Murray L. Vout, of Monterery, and Mrs. Bernice Anderson, of Pomona, and a brother, Clare H. Brown, of San Mateo.

Funeral services will be conducted at Richardson-Peterson Chapel at 2:30 p.m. Wednesday with Rev. Merle Jensen, of Long Beach, former pastor of the Ontario First Baptist church but now retired, officiating.

The Daily Report, Ontario, California August 30, 1954
Unknown Contributor - THANK YOU!  

BACK - Rock Island County, IL Genealogy Trails


The Rock Island Argus
Thursday, Nov. 19, 1942

BOY 11



Charles Koob 11, Sixth grade pupil of Doxee school, and grandson of Mr. and William HOFFMAN who resides on the Knoxville Road, southeast of Milan, was electrocuted at 7 O'clock last evening, when he tossed a stone weighted wire across a tension power line, and instantly received 4400 volts.

The tragedy was discovered by Kenneth Rettig, son of Mr. and Mrs. Henry Rettig, who lives across the road. Help was quickly summoned and the Rock Island rescue squad responded, but efforts to revive the little boy failed. Seven tanks of oxygen were used and artificial respiration applied for nearly four hours in a futile attempt to save the little boys life.

An old aerial wire, with an insulator attached to one end of it, lying in the yard of the Hoffman home, apparently had attracted the boys attention and he is believed to have been swinging it, and whirling it about, when it came into contact with the high tension power line, throwing the full force of the high voltage into his little body, killing instantly. A finger on either hand was badly burned by the terrific electrical current.


Charles Koob, who has made his home with his grandparents, Mr. and Mrs. William Hoffman, SR. Since his birth, was born Jan. 30, 1931 in Rock Island. He is the son of Richard Koob SR. and the late Mrs. Clara Hoffman Koob. Charles was a pupil of the Doxee school, being a member of the sixth grade. He attended Sunday school at the Milan Presbyterian church.

He is survived by his father, Richard Koob of Dayton, Ohio, a brother Richard Dewain of Rock Island, a half brother Jerry Lee of Dayton, his maternal grandparents, Mr. and Mrs. William Hoffman SR., and his paternal grandmother Mrs. Violet Koob of Rock Island. His mother preceded him in death, Feb. 2, 1937. He is also survived by three uncles and one aunt.

An Inquest into the boys death was held at 1 O'clock this afternoon at the Knox Mortuary in Rock Island, where the body was taken last night. Funeral arrangements had not been made but it is expected that services would be held Saturday at the Evangelical Church of Peace in Rock Island, with pastor Rev. R.J. Rolf officiating. Interment will be in Chippiannock cemetery Rock Island.

Contributed by Ellen Schawe.

BACK - Rock Island County, IL Genealogy Trails

The Rock Island Argus

June 26, 1981


Funeral services for Mrs. Elsie M. Nelson, 95, of 2801 47th Ave., Rock Island, who died yesterday, will be at 1 p.m. Monday at the Knox-Larson funeral Home, Rock Island

Dr. Charles L. Hollis, pastor of Moline Gospel Temple, will officiate, and burial will be in Memorial Park Cemetery; Rock Island. Friends may call from 2 to 4 and 7 to 9 p.m. Sunday at the funeral home.

The former Elsie Sisco was born in Rosemont, Ohio, the daughter of John C. and Kathryn McNeal Sisco. She lived in Youngstown, Ohio, and Cable, Ill., prior to moving to Rock Island at the age of 14.

She was married to George Nelson on June 18, 1901, in Rock Island. He died Jan. 12, 1958.

Mrs. Nelson was a member of First United Presbyterian Church, Rock Island, and was a volunteer with the American Red Cross during World War II.

Surviving are six daughters. Mrs. Edward Ludwig, Mrs. Margaret Richards and Mrs. Harold Nelson, all of Rock Island, Mrs. Elsie Huntley of Andalusia, Mrs. Ruth Bysinger of Milan, and Mrs. Robert Klepper of Marysville, Wash., a son, Robert of Moline; 16 grandchildren; 46 great-grandchildren; 12 great, great-grandchildren; and a sister, Mrs. Nellie Parr of Rock Island.

She also was preceded in death by a son, three grandchildren and a great-grandson.

Submitted by Roberta Bear

BACK - Rock Island County, IL Genealogy Trails

The Rock Island Argus

Saturday, Jan. 24, 1931 p.4

Ezekiel Nelson, 85, Veteran of Civil War Badly Wounded in Battle Dies

Participated in Bloody Combat of Altoona Pass in Georgia

Ezekiel Nelson, 85 years old, veteran of the Civil War and retired building contractor, died shortly after 12 o'clock last night at the home of his son, George Nelson 4529 Eleventh Street, Rock Island. While he had been in falling health for some years, Mr. Nelson had been seriously ill only four days. In the last years of his life Mr. Nelson had been blind and crippled, his afflictions being attributed to wounds received in the bloody battle of Altoona pass in Georgia.

The body was removed to this Knox mortuary, Rock Island, and will be returned to the home of a daughter, Mrs. Anna Koester, 4124 Ninth street, Rock Island, tomorrow morning. Funeral services will be held Monday afternoon at 2:30 o'clock at Mrs. Koester's residence. Rev. Ross W. Copeland, pastor of Gloria Dei United Presbyterian church, Rock Island, will officiate, and burial will be in Chippiannock cemetery, Rock Island. Military services will be conducted by John Buford post, Grand Army of the Republic, of which Mr. Nelson was a member.

Mr. Nelson was born Aug. 30, 1845, in Port Byron. He was the son of Mr. and Mrs. Ezekiel Nelson, pioneer residents of Rock Island county, and the grandson of Rev. Richard Williams of Port Byron, who lived to be 105 years old.

Mr. Nelson was one of many who attempted to enter the army before attaining the required age. He first tried to enlist at Sheridan, Iowa, in 1862. He was admitted to the army two years later in Rock Island. Mr. Nelson never recovered from the wounds he received at Altoona Pass when, with company E, 12th Illinois infantry, under the command of General John M. Corse, he heroically fought with his comrades to defeat the Confederate army under General French.

Wounds Prevent March.

The Rock Island veteran attempted to continue with his comrades in the famous march to the sea under General Sherman. His wounds proved such a hindrance that he was assigned to duty as private orderly to Brigadier General Price and given a horse. Mounted, he completed the journey, returned to Washington after the war and was there mustered out of service.

After the war Mr. Nelson settled in Rapids City. In 1866 he married Miss Lucinda White of Rapids City at Milan. The couple made their home in Iowa and Missouri and later in Muscatine, where Mr. Nelson purchased a farm. He became a member of the Joe hooker post, G. A. R., in Muscatine, and his membership was transferred to John Buford post when he returned to this vicinity to make his home 30 years ago. Mr. and Mrs. Nelson operated a farm near Milan for a few years before moving into Rock Island.

Mr. Nelson resided for 22 years in Des Moines, where he was a building contractor, following his service in the Civil war. It was after his residence in Des Moines that he moved to Muscatine, later coming to Rock Island.

Mrs. Nelson died in April, 1928. Surviving are a daughter, Mrs. Anna Koester of Rock Island; two sons, George W. Nelson and Frank Nelson, both of Rock Island; 10 grandchildren and three great-grandchildren.

Submitted by Roberta Bear

BACK - Rock Island County, IL Genealogy Trails


The Rock Island Argus

A Long Resident of County Dies in Rock Island

Funeral Services For Mrs. Ezekiel Nelson, 82 Years Old, to Be Held Saturday

Mrs. Ezekiel Nelson, 82 years old, resident of Rock Island and surrounding towns for the last 70 years, died at 2:30 o'clock yesterday afternoon in the home of a daughter, Mrs. Anna Koester, 4124 Ninth street. She had been ailing for three years and a severe cold, coupled with infirmities of age, caused her death.

Funeral services will be held at 2 o'clock Saturday afternoon in the residence, with Rev. J.S. Hill, pastor of the Third United Presbyterian church, officiating. Burial will be in Chippiannock cemetery. Grandsons of Mrs. Nelson will be pallbearers.

Mrs. Nelson was born at Mount Pleasant, Pa., on Oct. 10, 1845, and was Miss Lucinda White before her marriage. She was the daughter of George and Suzanna White. About 1857 she came to Rapids City, Ill., with her brother, the late Joseph White. The trip was made entirely by water, traveling in an old steamboat. On March 22, 1866 she married Ezekiel Nelson at Sheridan, Iowa. Her husband is a Civil war veteran. Since the marriage the couple had lived in various towns of the county but for the greater number of years in Rock Island. The last year Mrs. Nelson made her home with her daughter.

Besides Mrs. Koester, she is survived by the widower, two sons, George W. and Frank Nelson, both of Rock Island, a sister, Mrs. Susan Cole of Brownsville, Pa., 10 grandchildren, two great-grandchildren.

Thursday, April 19, 1928 p.3

Submitted by Roberta Bear

BACK - Rock Island County, IL Genealogy Trails

Lena A. Richardson

ORION funeral services for Lena A. Richardson, 85, of Oak Glen Home, Coal Valley, formerly of Moline and Orion, will be 1 p.m. Tuesday at Kirk-Huggins & Esterdahl Chapel, Orion, with the Rev. John Lekander of St. Paul s Lutheran Church, Orion, officiating.

Burial will be in Western Cemetery, Orion.

Visitation will be noon to service time Tuesday.

Mrs. Richardson died Thursday at Oak Glen.

The former Lena Zabel was born in Limean [sic: Lyman] Township, Ford County, Ill. She married George W. Richardson in 1918 in Peoria.

She and her husband owned and operated a clothing store in Orion from 1936 to 1942. She later worked at Johnson Bakery, Moline.

She was a member of Moline Senior Citizens.

Survivors include a son, Rolland Richardson, of Pekin [just south of Peoria]; five grand-children, and 10 great-grandchildren.

[Moline s The Daily Dispatch of Saturday Dec. 8, 1984:]
[Lena [Zabel] Richardson shows in the SSI as born on 12 June 1899 and died in December of 1984 in Coal Valley, Rock Island, Illinois. ]
submitted by: John Hutchins

BACK - Rock Island County, IL Genealogy Trails



George Washington Richardson of 1415 SE 42nd Place died Wednesday at Alachua General Hospital. He was 72.

Born in Phelps City, Mo., he came here from Moline, Ill., 28 years ago. He was a retired worker at the University of Florida sewage treatment plant. He was a member of the Musicians Guild and the Masonic Lodge No. 535 F&AM in Orion, Ill.

Survivors include his wife, Bessie Betty Cooey Richardson of Gainesville; a daughter, Patricia R. Hull of Gainesville; three sons, Rolland Richardson of Pekin, Ill., George W. Richardson Jr. of Tallahassee and Frank Wiese of Gainesville; a sister, Bertha Bauer of Cincinnati; seven grandchildren; and several great-grandchildren.

George, a son of Jessie Florence Colton and James B.('Bert') Richardson, born 22 Feb 1897 in Phelps City, [Atchison Co.,] MO and died Wednesday, 24 October 1979. He died in Gainesville, Florida with burial in Woodlawn Cemetery in Perry, Florida from the First Methodist Church. His obituary and death notice were in the Thursday, 25 October 1979 issue of the Gainesville Sun, on page 17A.

submitted by: John Hutchins src#091

BACK - Rock Island County, IL Genealogy Trails


Injuries Prove Fatal
To Aged City Resident

Mrs. Naomi E. Henderson, 80 Years

Old, Dies After Falling Down Stairs

Mrs. Naomi E. Henderson, 80 years old, 4538 Fifteenth Avenue, Rock Island, died at 3 o'clock yesterday afternoon at her home of a concussion of the brain caused when she fell down the stairs at the residence last Friday. The injuries were determined as the cause of death at an inquest conducted by Coroner John F. Maberry at the Danielson and Furgie funeral home, Moline, this morning.

Naomi E. Courtney was born Jan. 3, 1850, in Morgan Co. West Virginia. She moved to Jones Co. Iowa when 10 years old and was married to William J. Henderson in Camanche, Iowa. They moved to Moline 22 years ago. Mr. Henderson died 11 years ago.

Mrs. Henderson is survived by three daughters, Mrs. L.R. (Bertha) Hanson of Erie, Mrs. Pearl E. Thompson of Osco, and Mrs. Clair B. (Lucia) Scudder of Morrison; two sons, Edward Courtney of Moline and William A. Henderson of of Rock Island; a brother, George Courtney in Iowa; one sister, Mrs. Mary Madison in Oregon, and six grandchildren.

Funeral services will be held tomorrow afternoon at at 2:30 o'clock at the Danielson and Furgie Chapel. Burial will be in Riverside Cemetery, Moline, Ill.

(SIC) Death Date: Jan. 6, 1930

(SIC) Parents: Simeon & Mary Householder Courtney

(SIC) Marriage license issued in Jones Co. Iowa on Mar. 12, 1874; Naomi E. Courtney & H. C. Preston. We believe they were never married as her son Edward Courtney was born Mar. 18, 1874.

submitted by Judy Hook src#09O

BACK - Rock Island County, IL Genealogy Trails


William James Henderson died at 1 this morning in the home, 2214 Fifth Avenue, Moline, Il. He had been ill a year of dropsy.

Mr. Henderson was born Nov. 4, 1854 in Clinton, Iowa. He was married to Naomi Courtney at Camanche, Ia. thirty six years ago. They removed to Illinois fifteen years ago and had resided in Moline ten years. He was a stone mason by trade and also worked as a barber for a time.

Left to mourn his passing, besides the widow, are two sons, W.A.(Bert) Henderson of Moline and Charles R. Henderson of Maquoketa, Iowa; a stepson, Edward H. Courtney of Moline; three daughters, Mrs. L.R. (Bertha) Hanson of Erie, Mrs. J.L. (Pearl) Thompson of Rock Island, and Mrs. Clair Brookfield (Lucia) Scudder of Moline; three brothers, R.A. of South Dakota, Eli of Neb. , and H.D. of Montana, and seven grandchildren.

He held membership in Albany Court of Honor, No 75

Funeral services will be held at 2 Saturday afternoon in the home, the Rev. Attree Smith officiating. Burial will be made in Riverside cemetery, Moline, Ill.

(SIC) Death Date: March 28, 1918

(SIC) Parents: Bethuel & Adeline Moulton Henderson

(SIC) Marriage: March 22, 1882

(SIC) Preceded in death 1st. wife Catherine Beeks 1878. She is Charles R. Henderson's Mother

submitted by Judy Hook src#09O

BACK - Rock Island County, IL Genealogy Trails





Clothes Burned from His Body and He Died in a Few Hours. Stove Tank exploded. Building Burned

PERRY RUSSELL, a well known young man of Adair met a horrible death Sunday as a result of the explosion of the gasoline tank on the stove used in the restaurant at that place. His injuries were such that he died about 11 o'clock that morning.

Clothing Burned From Body.

Russell and another young man, Walter Young, conducted the restaurant at that place, having leased the fixtures of W. U. Stewart, the owner, about a month ago. At that time the fixtures were located in a building just north of the location where the accident ocurred but the young man, liking the other room better adapted for their work, moved them to the corner.

On Sunday morning Russell, who sleeps at the hotel but boards at his restaurant, arose and went to the place of business to get breakfast. He lighted the the gasoline stove on which to cook the meal. Whether he allowed too much gasoline to flow out to generate , or there was a leak in the tank, will probably never be definitely known. He had hardly started the blaze until there was a violent explosion, the flames having gotten to the fumes from the gasoline tank. The explosion threw the inflamable liquid over his clothing, apparently almost saturating them and this was ignited immediately. He ran from the south door of the building, calling for help. William (Sic) Illaman, who runs the elevator at that place, happened to be on the street near the building and he ran out and rushed to his aid. By this time, however, his clothes were burned from his body, which was a charred mass of flesh, scorched and seared in a terrible manner. All of his clothing had been burned away except his shoes, a small portion of his socks above his shoes, and one cuff on the bottom of a trouser leg. The balance of his body was entirely nude.


Mr. Illaman had hardly started to help him until others, hearing the cries, had rushed to his assistance, He was suffering terribly, and while everything possible was done to alleviate the pain, his every move was one of anguish. He was taken to the office of DR. Hill, only a few doors from the scene of the accident, and DR. Hill and DR. Carnahan were both summoned, they doing all in human power to aid him. It was apparent to them that his injuries were of a fatal nature, owing to the way the skin was scorched and seared and the probability that he had inhaled some of the flames in his fight for life. The ambulance was sent for to remove him to the hospital here, but by the time it arrived his condition was such that to move him meant only added anguish and could do no good. He was taken to the home of Frank Biggs, about two blocks from the Dr. Hill office, where he had made his home for some time before entering the restaurant business. In spite of his intense suffering he was conscious almost up to the time he died. He apparently did not realize the full extent of his injuries. He told the story of the accident the same as stated above.


Much excitement was created over the county by the telephone reports that Adair was burning. As a result many rushed to the scene in automobiles, but fortunately the loss was confined to one small frame business building and a small frame office adjoining. About twenty feet north of the small office was an empty frame building, which was formerly occupied by the restaurant. This blazed up several times but the excellent work of the bucket line succeeded in extinguishing the fire as fast as it was started and as a result the fire was confined to the two buildings mentioned.


The loss, while not so heavy in point of dollars, is total so far as the owners of the properties are concerned. Both the buildings were owned by H.A. Oldfield & Son and the insurance on them had been allowed to run out and was not renewed. W.B. Stewart owned the restaurant fixtures, having, leased them to the two youn men. These were nearly all burned, and, like the insurance on the buildings had been allowed to expire and had not been renewed.

The small office building adjacent to the restaurant was occupied by Carl Wilson as an insurance office, and all these fixtures saved.


Perry Russell was raised in Adair, being a son of J. F. (Frank) and Mary Ellen Grim Russell. His parents now live in Rock Island having moved from Adair some time ago, but he prefered to remain there. He worked around at different places, being a steady and industrious young man and saved enough money to start in business with Walter Young. While working at different places, he had boarded with the family of Frank Biggs, to whom he was the same as a son.

(SIC) NEWS PAPER McDonough CO. IL. NOV. 20, 1916

Buried: Riverside Cemetery; Moline, IL.

Perry H. Russell youngest son of J.F. (Frank) and Mary Ellen Grim Russell of Adair, Il. was born near Pennington Point Jan.2, 1896, died in Adair at 11:30 o'clock, being at the time of his death 20 years, 10 months and 17 days old. He lived with his parents in the vicinity of Adair until 11 years of age, when they moved to Moline, which had been his home until a little over a year ago, when he returned to Adair, making his home with the family of H.A. Oldfield until recently when he went into the restaurant business. Besides his parents he is survived by the following brothers and sisters; Mrs. Jennie Scudder, Moline; Mrs. Nora McDonald, Adair; Jake, Rock Island; Mrs. Maude Derry, Canton; Arthur, Industry; Otis; Miss Edythe Russell, and Mrs. Ina Seaman, Moline and Ralph, Canton. As is elsewhere stated Perry met his untimely death from injuries sustained from an explosion of a gasoline tank. He was taken to the Haineline undertaking parlors in Macomb Sunday afternoon where preparation was made for burial. The remaines were taken to Moline Monday afternoon to the home of his sister, Mrs. Ina Seaman, where funeral services were conducted Tuesday afternoon at 2:30 o'clock under the (Sic) suspics of the Woodman of the World Camp 85 Moline of which he was a member and carried $1000.00 insurance. Six members of the degree staff in uniform served as pall beares. He was also a member of the Naval Reserves. Interment was made in Riverside cemetery, Moline, Il.

All the care that a skilled physician and anxious friends could devise and apply for his comfort was given, but the first of Him who rules our life and death had been issued, and after a brief struggle, despite all that could be done, before the noon day of that beautiful Sunday, the news was whispered that Perry was gone. The sad words cast a gloom over the entire community, where his friends were many, who will remember him as, bright, happy, and a cheerful boy, with always a smile and a pleasant word for his friends. But in the springtime of his enthusiams, are sunshine of hope and joy was extinguished, the human cord was snapped (sic) acunder, and now he sleeps, only the memory of one who finished his life work early is left.(Sic) Death Date : Nov.20,1916

submitted by Judy Hook src#09O

Jane M'Faggart, of Rock Island. Funeral Held today. The funeral was held from the home of their daughter Mrs. J. L. Thomas, 414 7th St., at  2o'clock this afternoon. The Rev. D. L. McNary, pastor of the United Presbyterian Church, had charge of the services. the burial was at Chippiannock cemetery.
Tri-City Star (Davenport) Friday, September 23, 1904 [C. Horton 0509] 

Raya McFarland, aged 24days infant daughter of D. R. McFarland of Rock Island, died Sept. 23 at the home of her parents, No. 2129 6th Ave.
The funeral will be held from the house at 9 o'clock tomorrow morning and funeral will take place at Chippiannock Cemetery, Rock Island.

Tri-City Star (Davenport) Friday, September 23, 1904 [C. Horton 0509]

BACK - Rock Island County, IL Genealogy Trails

Lee Herbert Evans, 70, of Rock Island, died Wednesday, March 3, 1999.
Visitation will be from 4-6 p.m. at Hodgson Funeral home, 608 20th St., Rock Island.
In lieu of flowers, memorials should be sent to the charity of the donor's choice.
Mr. Evans was born in 1928, in Rock Island, the son of John and Elizabeth "Jennie" (Saunders) Evans. He was a 1946 graduate of Rock Island High School and a member of the school's undefeated WHAM football team of 1945. He married Joyce Saylor. She preceded him in death in 19 He served in the Navy aboard the USS Gunston Hall in the South Pacific. He was a participant in Operation Crossroads, atomic tests conducted at Bikini Atoll, South Pacific, in 1946. He also served in the Navy Seebees reserves upon his return to Rock Island. He was a 20-year veteran of the Rock Island City Fire Department. After his retirement, he served as a housing rehab specialist for the city of Rock Island. For many years he owned and operated Evans Awning Company.
Survivors include his children, Steven Evans of San Diego, Calif., Lane Evans of Rock Island, Doyle Evans and Heike Ehlers, both of Rock Island, David Evans and Ellen Dale, both of Wilmington, N.C., and three grandchildren.
[Sterling Daily Gazette, Thursday, 4 Mar 1999]
[Submitted by Barbara Nugent -- Note: the newspaper gave the death year of his wife as 1945 which is an obvious error]

George Nelson Taken by Death; Rites Tomorrow
George W. Nelson, 84, who resided at No. 53 Edgewater Place, Rock Island, died at 6:25 yesterday morning in a Quad-City hospital, where he had been a patient for one month.
Services will be held at 1 tomorrow afternoon in the Hodgson Funeral Home. The Rev. Kenneth McArthur, pastor of First United Presbyterian Church, will officiate. Burial will be in Memorial Park Cemetery, Rock Island. Friends may call at the funeral home.
Mr. Nelson was born Feb. 22, 1873, in Cable, a son of Ezekiel and Lucinda Nelson. He attended Cable schools, moving to Rock Island 55 years ago.
He married Elsie May Sisco June 18, 1901, in Rock Island. He was employed as a door finisher at Rock Island Millwork Co. for more than 40 years prior to his retirement in 1950.
Surviving are the widow; six daughters, Mrs. Kathryn Klepper, Lowell, Wash., and Mrs. Louise Ludwig, Mrs. Elsie Huntley, Mrs. Ruth Bysinger, Mrs. Margaret Richards and Mrs. Novella Miller, all of Rock Island; two sons, George of Memphis, Tenn., and Robert of Louisville, Ky.; a nephew, Frank Koester, Minneapolis, Minn.; 17 grandchildren and 10 great-grandchildren.
His parents, a brother and a sister preceded him in death.
[The Rock Island Argus, Monday, Jan. 3, 1958 p.2 - Submitted by Roberta Bear]

Theola Evely
ROCK ISLAND -- Services for Theola Evelyn Ballou Kieffer, Rock Island, will be 11 a.m. Wednesday at South Park Presbyterian Church, Rock Island. Burial will be in Rock Island Memorial Park. Visitation is 4-7 p.m. Tuesday at Wheelan Funeral Home, Rock Island. Memorials may be made to the church. Mrs. Kieffer died Saturday, Nov. 23, 2002, at Silver Cross Nursing Center, Rock Island. Theola E. Ballou was born, July 4, 1910, to Sanford and Leila (Bailey) Ballou in Maquoketa, Iowa. She attended Maquoketa and Davenport schools. She married George Crozier Kieffer Sr. in 1928 in Monmouth, Ill. He died in 1974. Foremost in Theola's life was family of two sons, two daughters, her "accomplished grandchildren" and beautiful baby great-grandchildren. She was an involved participant in every one of their lives. Theola proudly shared her husband with the community during his service with the U.S. Corps of Engineers at Lock and Dam 15 on the Rock Island Arsenal. She and George worked as a team in many endeavors and are remembered most fondly by many teenagers from 1947 to the mid '50s while serving as Directors of the CYC-Civic Youth Club that met in the Rock Island City Hall basement on two nights a week for teenagers only. She also served as a president of the Broadway Theater League. She is a lifetime member of the Illinois Parent Teachers Association, holding many offices as her children and her grandchildren attended schools at Audubon Elementary, Washington Junior High and Rock Island High. Theola was active in the League of Women Voters in Rock Island during the early '50s, and was the proud president as the league lead the successful campaign for the Rock Island City Voter Referendum to establish the first "Council-City Manager" form of government in Rock Island. She was a proud lifelong Republican and was involved in various Republican campaigns throughout the years and included her family in these efforts. Theola was steadfast to her faith with South Park Presbyterian Church giving and helping others in many capacities-serving on boards, in the women's groups, as an elder and deacon many times. She felt an important accomplishment for her church was the elevator installation, for then her special needs grandson could attend services easily. Theola spent many years in the International Order of King's Daughters and Sons holding various offices and serving as the Illinois president. She especially enjoyed her role as an officer with the Illinois branch in sending young girls 8-16 from the area to Camp Lookout in Montrose, Iowa, for summer camp. She later held the office of international vice-president for eight years, directing the King's Daughters' six week summer scholarship program in music, classical and outdoor concerts, arts, public speaking, humanities, religion and leadership for college students at Chautauqua, N.Y., where the Order owns two home dormitories and a chapel building. Theola took great pride in her last residence. Serving as the city union branch president with the International Order of King's Daughters and Sons in the late '60s, the Illinois branch made the decision to sell the Cleaveland Home Nursing Home for the King's Daughters in Rock Island and voted to build Friendship Manor complex on 12th Street and 21st Avenue. Theola told many about the excitement of signing for the original loan for $9,300,000 and being there with a golden shovel during the ground breaking ceremony. Survivors include her sons and daughters-in-law, George Jr. and Marilyn, Rock Island, John and Merideth, Macomb; daughters and a son-in-law, Elizabeth Oliver, Sacramento, Calif., and Anne and William Meyer, Sycamore, Ill.; nine grandchildren; and 15 great-grandchildren. She was preceded in death by her husband and a grandson, Matthew.
["Quad City Times", 25 Nov 2002 - Submitted by Barbara Nugent]

Lizzie P. Hartzell Wallace
"Let Me Rest" Such were the dying words of my dear sister, Lizzie P. Hartzell Wallace, who suddenly passed away from her heartbroken husband and many sorrowing loved ones, in Davenport, Iowa, June 29, She was a martyr to motherhood. Only the evening before, she sat in the shaded quiet of her home and spoke lovingly and hopefully of the future. -Before the next rising of the sun, both mother and babe had passed into the heavens. There are times when death is beautiful, as when the aged, full of years and purity, joyfully welcome the messenger to bear them over the tide. Even man in his vigor may finish his work and die, and pass to immortality on earth and in heaven, and the death not be so sad. But when in the moment of woman's highest anticipated joy, death comes and claims his victim in spite of perfect bodily health and mental vigor, and regardless of holiest affection, who can express the sadness of such an event? So died our precious sister. She was a twin, and with her sister was born Feb. 14, 1854. The two grew to womanhood, each the picture of the other so perfectly, that even members of our own family could not distinguish the one from the other, until Lillie was smitten with protracted illness, and for years was unable to walk. This sad event only the more perfectly made them one. It were impossible for two souls on earth to be more joyously or bravely one. Both were early led into the Methodist church and lived consistent and happy Christian lives. In church and Sunday school work, and in general benevolent labors, their willing hands and faithful hearts were always with the busiest, unless sickness hindered. October 15,1878,I joined Lizzie in marriage with Prof J. A. Wallace of Davenport, Iowa. The marriage proved to be a happy one, and together these two had begun a joyful life pilgrimage. A year ago I spent a brief hour in their home. How like a little paradise it was . Theirs was not a stately mansion, with richly famished apartments, and yet they lived in what was to them and their friends a palace, made beautiful with the adorning of love. Comfort and taste were everywhere, and the tracings of her handiwork on wall and furniture added their halo of wifely beauty to everything. In such homes the angels of heaven love to dwell. And why should they not. Those homes are our only earthly pictures of what Paradise was, and give the best earthly showing of what Heaven is to be Lizzie was a student. Her husband was an instructor in music, and this she pursued with earnestness and success. Up to the very last day of her life she was mastering a thorough course of general reading with her husband. Her last letter to me was to inquire concerning a certain book of reference bearing upon ancient classics. So soon are our plans and joys on earth changed. Yes, changed, that is the right word. No good plan for ourselves or others ends with death. Our sister, now with the angels, will have no need of books, for her soul, being perfectly attuned to all truth, will receive it direct from God. Later years have brought better health to Lillie, the other life of Lizzie, and the former has for some time been in Kansas and Colorado seeking complete restoration, and so was absent from death bed and funeral. This fact added, if possible, yet another shade of sorrow to the sudden and sad death. Prof. "Wallace being a member of the Presbyterian church, Lizzie went with him in church relation after their marriage. Her pastor being absent, Rev, Mr. Merrill of the Congregational church in Davenport, and a devoted friend of the family, conducted the funeral services. At the home a short service was held; and at Moline, Ill., in the church where she had been converted and had labored, in the midst of a multitude of friends, the public services were held. Mr. Merrill preached an impressive sermon from the text "There remaineth therefore a rest for the people of God." Husband, father, mother, sisters and friends here took their last view of mother and babe. The mother rested on her side as if asleep, and upon her face was a sweet smile of contentment and rest, while in her arms was folded close to her breast her little one. The casket containing the precious dust covered with flowers was laid away in our family cemetery three miles distant, on one of the hills which overlook the beautiful Rock River valley. Here lie many of our kinsfolk, waiting for the resurrection. Of our family of thirteen children, two died in infancy, and it is thirty five years since our parents have been called to lay away in the tomb any of their children. Soon they and us all will lie too, where rests Lizzie and her babe, How blessed will be the final wakening! J. O. Hartzell. Northwestern.
[Southwestern Christian Advocate, (New Orleans, LA) Thursday, August 18, 1881 - Sub. by Janice Rice]
( Note: This cemetery located in South Moline township Illinois, was originally called the Hartzell graveyard, later to be named Rock River View, and now known as South Moline Township)


©Genealogy Trails