Malcolm D. Lane
One of the patriotic sons of our country, who in her time of peril gladly sprang to her defense and spent almost the entire period of the Civil War in the army, we are proud to name as the brave soldier whose name heads this paragraph. He is now devoting himself to the peaceful pursuits of farming upon section 19, Ridge Township, Shelby County. He was born in Fairfield County, Ohio, October 26, 1832, and his parents were William and Maria (Griswold) Lane. His father was born in Ohio, and his paternal grandfather in Westmoreland, Pa., while his mother was a native of Connecticut, whose ancestors came originally to Maryland, and built one of the first houses which was erected on the site which is now covered by the city of Baltimore. Four sons and two daughters, grew up together beneath the parental roof, and Malcolm was the eldest of the number; Marcus died in this State in 1880; Naomi, Mrs. William Propeck, lives in Denison City, Tex.; Rachel, the wife of Jesse Columber, lives in this county; Henry and James M. now reside in Marshall County, Kan.; and John died at the age of seventeen years. Our subject was married December 9, 1855, to Miss Melinda Updegraff, of Miami County, Kan., a lady who was born in Clarke County, Ohio, January 3, 1838, and went to Kansas with her parents, Andrew and Margaret (Lowman) Updegraph, who were natives of Ohio, in 1855, where she made the acquaintance of Mr. Lane. The young couple resided in that State for five years after marriage, and after the war made their home in Shelby County, this State. Malcolm D. Lane enlisted in Company I, Seventeenth Ohio Infantry, in August, 1861, and was made a Corporal. He served with Gen. Thomas in Kentucky, and participated in an engagement at Wild Cat, Ky., Mill Spring, Stone River, Chickamauga, Resaca, Kenesaw Mountain, and the Atlanta campaign, finally marching with Gen. Sherman to the sea. His regiment then joined in the famous march back through the Carolinas to Washington, D. C., and were present at the Grand Review in 1865. The gallant services of this young man were the cause of his being promoted, first to First Sergeant, then to Sergeant-Major, and finally to the rank of First Lieutenant of his company. He was mustered out of service at Louisville, Ky., July 16, 1865, and returned to Shelby County, Ill., where he taught school during the winters for some fifteen years. Nine children have blessed the home of Mr. and Mrs. Lane, namely: Samuel G., Emma A., Milton A. and J. Monroe (twins), Minnie R., George A., Katie M., Ella M. and Walter M. The father of these children is wide-awake to all political movements and earnestly affiliates with the Republican party. He was three times elected Assessor of his township, and has held the office of Justice of the Peace, also that of member of the School Board as well as other minor offices. The family are members of the Presbyterian Church, in which their religious activities find abundant opportunity for exercise. [Source: "Portrait and Biographical Record of Shelby and Moultrie Counties, Illinois. . . ." Published by Biographical Publishing Co., 1891, tr. by G.T. Transcription Team]
Arthur G. Lee
The name at the head of this sketch is that of a man who enjoys to the utmost, the confidence of the people in the community in which he lives. This is shown by the fact that from among the best financial men in the place, he has been elected to the responsible position of President of the Commercial State Bank of Windsor, Shelby County. Our subject was born in Oshawa, Ontario. July 7, 1865. He was reared on a farm until about fourteen years of age, and in the calm pursuits of agriculture the mental fibre of his mind developed. Unrestrained by fine-spun theories, he saw life as it was and this practical view and keen insight into affairs has ever characterized his business dealings and has carried him on to the success which he so eminently merits.
Arthur Lee received the foundation of his education in the common schools of his native place after which he attended the High School from which he was graduated. He then began life for himself and was employed for a period of two years with Steel Brothers & Company, merchants in Toronto, Canada, as clerk. In 1886, he came to the States, and resided in Chicago until July, 1889. He was employed as manager and had charge of the seed department for H. Sibley & Co. In July, 1889 he came to Windsor and organized the Commercial Bank, and November 14 of the same year it was re-organized as a Commercial State Bank, under the State law. On its first organization, he was Cashier of the bank and since its re-organization under the State law, he has been its President. Our subject's brother, Sidney J. Lee, holds the position of Cashier in the bank. The institution transacts a good banking business, and is one that was greatly needed in the community, now affording an opportunity for commercial exchange with much less trouble and expense than before its organization. The parents of our subject are George and Lucy (Curry) Lee. They were born in Canada. The father died a victim of typhoid fever, October 9, 1882, in Ontario. He was a farmer by occupation but had retired from the active pursuits of his calling at the time of his decease. They had three children, of whom our subject was the eldest. Mr. Lee was married in Windsor June 9, 1890 to Miss Minnie Shaffer, who is a native of this county and they have a very pleasant home located on the principal residence street in Windsor. His charming young wife attracts the best social element of the place. They have one child, an infant son. Our subject, though yet less than thirty years of age, has won the entire confidence of the community by his devotion to his business, and his broad-laid and carefully executed plans. He is a natural financier and has a peculiar faculty for seeing where investments can be made with the greatest prospects of large returns. In his political views, Mr. Lee favors the Democratic party. In his religious views he is a Liberal. Socially, he of whom we write is a member of the Knights of Pythias, and has been a member of the Odd Fellows since about 1886. He is one of the leading members and occupies a prominent position. It is not out of place to say something of the ancestors of our subject at this point. The life of a good man who leaves an exemplary example is always worth reading. The paternal grandfather of our subject was George Lee. He was drowned in the Straits of Belle Isle, being caught there in a field of ice. He was not addicted to the use of any form of intoxicants or tobacco and was a Methodist minister. Our subject's maternal grandfather was James Curry, who was also a Methodist clergyman. He died at the age of eighty-five years. [Source: "Portrait and Biographical Record of Shelby and Moultrie Counties, Illinois. . . ." Published by Biographical Publishing Co., 1891, tr. by G.T. Transcription Team]
Organization is the watch-word of all modern movements, and it is constantly on the increase. For many years trades have affiliated and worked for the interest of each other and for the support of their rights. But the two extremes of labor, the agricultural class and the professional class have not joined hands in organizations looking to the upbuilding of their mutual interests. That day is passing by and we find in both these classes a desire to follow the popular trend. Farmers are now associating themselves under different organizations, and perhaps there is none of these which is stronger than the Farmers Mutual Benefit Association, with which Mr. Lehn is identified. This gentleman is a farmer and stock-raiser on section 18, Oconee Township, Shelby County, and was born in Roseheim, France, September 22. 1834. The parents of our subject were Joseph and Teresa (Echert) Lehn. The father died in his native country when this son was a little child of only three years of age. The mother married again, taking as her second husband Martin Eck, with whom she was united in marriage in 1840. Joseph came to America with his mother, step-father, brothers and sisters in 1852. Of his father's children there were two sons and one daughter, namely: Louis, who is married and resides in Bond County, where he owns a magnificent farm of nearly two thousand acres and is very extensively engaged in raising horses and cattle; Mary, who is the widow of Anthony Fisher, (who died about ten years ago in this township) and who owns a farm of two hundred acres on section 18, Oconee Township, and our subject. Joseph Lehn bought his fine farm of three hundred and eighty acres as long ago as 1886. One hundred acres of this is in Montgomery County, this State, and the remainder in Oconee Township. In his early youth he was trained to farm work, and he chose it as his life work and has been remarkably successful in its prosecution. He has recently erected a handsome and commodious home on section 18, and has finished and furnished it with great taste as well as comfort.
The marriage of our subject in 1868 brought to his home a bride in the person of Miss Katherine Kakers, who was born in Holland in 1845 and came to America with her parents while still quite young. To Mr. and Mrs. Lehn six beautiful children have been born, and they have the joy of seeing them all still in life and health and under the parental roof. They are named as follows - Frank, Maggie, Teresa, Louis, Katherine and Mary. All except the eldest are in attendance upon the public schools and are benefitting by the instruction received. They promise well to repay abundantly all the care and affection which has been lavished upon them.
Mr. Lehn was for a number of years after coming to America engaged in various avocations. For three years he worked in brickyards, and afterward started in on his own account in brick making, and also took an interest in buying and selling stock. With his general farming he deals a good deal in cattle and hogs, raising them and occasionally buying and feeding for sale.
Mr. Lehn has always taken an active interest in political affairs and voted the Republican ticket steadily from 1856 until Grant's second election, at which time he voted the Democratic ticket. He is quite liberal in his political views and says he "votes for the man." All the members of his family belong to the Roman Catholic Church, and attend services at Pana. He is an honest and industrious citizen having the confidence and esteem of all who know him.[Source: "Portrait and Biographical Record of Shelby and Moultrie Counties, Illinois..."; Chicago Biographical Publishing Co., 1891; tr. by G.T. Transcription Team]
John N. Lenox
Born of parents who are conspicuous for the superior mental power that they possessed and which gave them, wherever they resided, a prominent position in the community, our subject was early trained in a direction of which comparatively few men have more than the suggestion of the true status of the position. Had he lived a little earlier or a little later doubtless our subject's father would have been a confrere with Patrick Henry or with Abraham Lincoln. A Virginian, as was the first named, he possessed all the fire and ardor of the Southern orators, and was an effective speaker on political occasions. As it was, Mr. Lenox Sr., was representative of the best thought and policy in his part of the country and was advanced to many prominent positions which were unsought by him.
John Lenox, the father of our subject, was born in Virginia and early learned the fiery speeches of the Revolutionary heroes. His wife was in her maiden days a Miss Nancy Mellinger. At an early day they settled in Shelby County, Ohio, and there they died. Although the old gentleman was a farmer by occupation he was ever involved in public affairs. His ability in legislative matters was such as to inevitably bring him to the front. He was County Judge of Shelby County, Ohio, and served in the State Legislature for one term. The home life was such as to make the children thoughtful and to develop in them a liking for public affairs as well as a knowledge of Parliamentary rules. The family comprised eight children and of these our subject was fourth in order of birth. He was born in Shelby County, Ohio, December 25, 1825, and was reared to an agricultural life.
John Lenox Sr., was married December 28, 1848, to Rachael Jane Arbuckle, in their native county in Ohio. She was a daughter of Robert and Leatha (Harn) Arbuckle, both of whom were natives of Maryland, where they grew up and were married and welcomed their little daughter Leatha, who was but two years of age when they removed to Ohio and settled in Shelby County, where they died. Mrs. Lenox, our subject's wife, was born near Hagerstown, Md., January 20, 1829. After their marriage they settled in Shelby County, Ohio, where Mr. Lenox was engaged in farming and stock-raising.
In March, 1854, the original of our sketch removed from his home in Ohio to Shelby County, this State, and in the following December settled upon the farm on section 16, where he now lives. They have a beautiful home pleasantly located and surrounded with fine shade trees, and in the fruit season one may regale oneself with the choicest varieties of the fruits common to this latitude. The home has always been the center and the meeting place for the most cultivated people of the vicinity, who are sure of finding in the genial host, an enthusiastic and pleasing talker and a kindly sympathetic listener. Mr. and Mrs. Lenox are the parents of four children whose names are, Zeru L. A.; Wallace W.; Leatha C. and John M. The eldest daughter is the wife of William H. Shaw, who is ex-Sheriff of Shelby County. Wallace W. is a farmer and stock dealer in Richmond Township, and a progressive and thoroughly business young man. Lcatha C. is the wife of John M. Sargeant. John N. is a resident in St. Louis. Mo. He of whom we write has always been engaged in agricultural pursuits and in stock dealing which he has found to be very profitable. He is the owner of three hundred and twenty acres of finely improved land upon which he has made many valuable improvements. In politics our subject is a Republican, using his influence in favor of the party which is dear to him by principle and by association with the memories of his younger days. Mr. Lenox has ever been a generous contributor to the up-building of churches and the support of the Gospel, and in deed, every progressive measure has received his encouragement and aid. [Source: "Portrait and Biographical Record of Shelby and Moultrie Counties, Illinois. . . ." Published by Biographical Publishing Co., 1891, tr. by G.T. Transcription Team]
It is something to climb the white summit of life where one can look over the far reaching years that span so much of-feeling shall we say?-the feeling of intense gladness or sorrow that the youth experiences, the modified pleasure or pain of middle life and the retrospective of old age. It seems to Mr. Longenbach, about whom this sketch is written, that his seventy years are a panorama spread out before him, picturing, not only his own life, but the events that are making history. Located comfortably on his farm on section 20, Pickaway Township, Shelby County, he is enjoying the autumn sunset of life. Universally esteemed, his friends will notice with pleasure his portrait on the opposite page and will read with interest the following paragraphs. The gentleman of whom we write belongs to a family whose interests are closely identified with the pioneer history of Ohio and Illinois. His grandfather, Balsom Longebach, came to this country in the early part of the present century and settled in Somerset County, Pa., where he spent the remainder of his life, passing away while yet in middle age. Before leaving Germany, which was his native land, our subject's grandfather had married a German lady, who died at an advanced age in Pennsylvania. Our subject's father, Jacob Longenbach was a native of Pennsylvania and was one of a large family. He spent his early years as a frontierman and was a soldier in the War of 1812, serving as a scout for the Continentals. He was thrown among the Indians a great deal and learned their language and habits. While acting as a scout he had to hide in the timber and lived on acorns and roots for days at a time. Later he became a farmer and was united in marriage with Miss Eleanore Shope, a native, like himself, of Pennsylvania, but of Irish parentage. After marriage Jacob Longenbach and his wife removed to Fairfield County, Ohio, at a very early day, cutting the timber off the land where the city of Lancaster now stands; there they lived for a long time in the woods and among the Indians. He finally sold his place and moved into the wilds of Pickaway County, Ohio, where they purchased and improved one hundred and sixty acres of wild woodland. Later the family sold this place and purchased a second farm in the same locality, where the father spent his last years, dying when about sixty-two years of age, about 1835. His wife survived him many years, passing away on the old farm in Pickaway County, Ohio, after reaching three-score years and ten. She was a good woman and a loving helpmate. Our subject is the youngest of eight children, six sons and two daughters, who all lived to be men and women with families of their own. Our subject and one brother, Solomon, now a retired farmer in Nevada, Mo., who has reached the age of seventy-three years, are the veterans of the family, although other members of the family have lived to a good old age. Mr. Longenbach, the subject of this notice, was born in Pickaway County, Ohio, December 17, 1821, and was reared to manhood in his native place, where he celebrated his majority. Isaac Longenbach set up a home for himself in 1852, making mistress of it Elizabeth Cole. The lady, like her husband, is a native of Pickaway County, Ohio, being there born in 1835. She is a daughter of Richard and Hannah (Burwell) Cole, natives of Pickaway County, Ohio, but come, it is thought, of Scotch ancestry. When quite advanced in years Mrs. Longenbach's parents came to Shelby County, and here Mrs. Cole died at the age of seventy years. Later Mr. Cole died while making his home with his daughter in South Dakota, at seventy-six years of age. Both were members of the Methodist Church. After marriage Mr. and Mrs. Longenbach made their home for a few years in Pickaway County, Ohio, whence, in 1856, they removed to Illinois, coming hither by teams and camping out on the way. They located in Pickaway Township, where Mr. Longenbach pre-empted a tract of one hundred and sixty acres of land on section 20. The land was entirely unbroken, and here our subject and his wife began their pioneer experience, and here have ever since made their home. Mr. Longenbach has since added to his purchase and has erected good buildings upon his land. He has made a comfortable fortune by hard work and wise investments. Mrs. Loungenbach died at their home February 27, 1873, being then in the prime of life. She was a member of the German Reformed Church, a true wife and a kind neighbor. She was the mother of ten children, of whom the following are yet living: Jacob, Mary E., Eliza A., Sarah J., Agnes A., A. Lincoln, Isaac W. and Emma H. Jacob took to wife Nancy Schwartz; they own and reside on a farm of one hundred and sixty acres in this township. Mary is the wife of John Pinkston, a farmer and landowner in this township. Eliza married Edward Mathias and they live on and own a farm here. Sarah is the wife of Franklin Shride; they are farmers here also. Agnes is the wife of Matison Stivison; they own one hundred acres of land in Todd's Point Township. A. Lincoln took to wife Ellen Neal and is a farmer in this township; Isaac, whose wife was Hattie Brinke, is also a farmer in this township. Emma H. is the wife of Andrew Fletcher Shride; they make their home on Mr. Longenbach's farm. Our subject is a Republican in his political preference, having been an adherent of that party since Lincoln's time, and having supported the Union in its hours of adversity by influence and means. He has filled almost all the local offices in the gift of the township, and is honored by all who know him. [Source: "Portrait and Biographical Record of Shelby and Moultrie Counties, Illinois..."; Chicago Biographical Publishing Co., 1891; tr. by G.T. Transcription Team]
David Low, a man who has the esteem and confidence of his friends and neighbors, and who is a public-spirited citizen resides on section 23, Oconee Township, Shelby County, where he carries on farming and stock-raising. He was born in Guilford County, Tenn., April 26, 1831, his parents being George and Sarah Low, natives of that State. Their marriage and the birth of all their children took place in North Carolina, but they removed to Illinois in 1849 and there spent the remainder of their days.
David Low had nine brothers of whom Amsley, Gideon and Simeon were soldiers in the Union Army, during the Civil War. Joel R., John R., and Daniel R., are all living, the former in Iowa and the others in this State. David was a resident of North Carolina during the war and was conscripted into the Confederate army. He passed his examination. and was accepted but while waiting for assignment to his regiment, he and about five hundred others fled from the camp at night, and breaking through the lines escaped to their homes. He worked upon his farm for about a month and when he saw that the authorities were on the alert and apprehending the conscript he "took to the bushes" as he says and remained in concealment from October to Christmas. During that time he lay on the ground and endured greater hardships and dangers than he would have encountered in the Confederate service, but he was thoroughly Union in his sentiments, and preferred to endure all this for the cause of the Union rather than to lift his hand against the old flag. About Christmas time Mr. Low engaged to work in the saltpetre works near Greensboro, N. C. This enterprise failed and he went home and spent one night, but the second night "hunters" were in pursuit of him and he took to the woods again. While concealed in the house of a neighbor he was surrounded and captured by a detachment of the Raleigh guard. He was sent to Raleigh and seven days later to Kingston, N. C., where he remained from April 2 to May 4. By this time he thought he knew enough of military affairs and persuaded thirteen of his comrades to join with him in taking "French leave."
These refugees took to the woods once more, and were so closely pursued by soldiers on horseback as to be obliged to take refuge in a swamp. They sat in mud and water nearly to their necks from 2 p. m., until dark and the pursuers passed within ten feet of them. Two of the party were recaptured and the others escaped to their respective homes. Mr. Low had to remain in hiding until the close of the war. He spent one winter in a cave, going occasionally to the home of some Union family to get food, and then returning to his dreary abode. He spent his time in the cave in making combs, baskets and trinkets, selling them to Union people for food and clothing. He would sell a fine comb of his manufacture for ten cents in silver or $10 in Confederate script. He was recaptured but made his escape at great peril. His sufferings and privations were incomparably greater than those of many enlisted men, being in constant peril from armed and open enemies as well as from secret foes. It is not strange that he would feel that his escape from bodily injury was miraculous. He was unable to get through the line with his family and would not go and leave them. He lost all his property, amounting to a number of thousand dollars in stock and money.
The lady whose union with our subject brought to her such great trials, during this period of hardship and suffering, became his wife, September 13, 1857, in Guilford County, N. C., which was her native county as she was born there February 26, 1836. Her name before marriage was Rosannah Pike, and her parents were natives of the same State as herself.
To Mr. and Mrs. Low eight children were born, namely: Sara R., born September 23, 1852, who married Daul Neice in Oconee Township, and after giving birth to one child died October 28, 1888; George William, born September 20, 1860, married Sallie Marifield and resides on a farm near Rosemond, Ill.; Turley H., born May 26, 1863, is unmarried and lives at home; Joel D., born January 10, 1866, is married and resides in Pana, Ill.; Melinda S., born October 29, 1867, is married and resides in Oconee Township; Melissa born May 25, 1871, after the removal of the family to the North, and Mary E., born August 17, 1874, are at home with their parents, as is also John H. A., born September 6, 1877.
It was about eighteen years ago when Mr. Low removed to Christian County, Ill., and nine years since he purchased the farm on which he now lives. He has a timbered farm of one hundred and eighty-five acres, about one-half of which is under improvement. Upon this there is about fourteen acres in orchard and considerable attention is paid to the raising of small fruit. He has a good house and a comfortable home.
Mr. Low has been instrumental in securing the organization of a school district for the accommodation of the children in this comparatively new country, and a pleasant school-house is situated on a corner of his farm. He has always voted the Republican ticket. He is not a member of any church though heartily in accord with all Christian endeavors. His wife and children are members of the Baptist Church. He raises sorghum and manufactures molasses each year, and makes maple syrup in its season, devoting considerable time and money to the improvement and operation of his business. He has a centrifugal machine for separating and drying sorghum sugar which he hopes to make a success. He is a good citizen who endeavors to do right as he sees the right, and will not be coerced into doing wrong by any human power. This characteristic was evinced by his attitude toward the confederate power.[Source: "Portrait and Biographical Record of Shelby and Moultrie Counties, Illinois..."; Chicago Biographical Publishing Co., 1891; tr. by G.T. Transcription Team]
The gentleman whose name is at the head of this sketch, is the owner of a small farm which, however, is a model in point of neatness, productiveness and improvements. It is located on section 20, of Richland Township, Shelby County, and its advantages as to situation are apparent. Mr. Lowary is a native of the Buckeye State which has sent out so many ingenious and wide-awake sons to aid the progress of development in the newer and more western States. He was born, in Fairfield County, Ohio, June 25, 1831. There he was reared to manhood and there he continued to live until 1860. He had early learned the carpenter's trade which he followed until he came to Shelby County, this State and even after locating here he pursued his calling to some extent in connection with farming.
The advent of the original of our sketch, into Shelby County, this State was made in 1860. He first lived in Shelbyville Township, where he continued for four years and then removed to Richland Township of which place he has ever since been a resident. Before leaving Ohio, he was married in Fairfield County, to a lady whose maiden name was Emeline Collins. She was a native of the county and State in which her marriage occurred. Out of a family of seven children which have been born to our subject and wife, only five are living. Their names are Nelson, Daniel, James, Byron and Joseph. Two of their children died in infancy. Our subject, who is an adherent of the Democratic party, brought up under its tenets and having a firm faith in its platform, has filled several positions in the gift of his constituents. For six years, he filled the office of Highway Commissioner and was School Director for several years. His farm bears evidence of many and valuable improvements and although it comprises only eighty three acres, is conspicuous for the perfection of its management and its proportionally large productiveness.
It will not be out of place to speak of the family of which our subject was one. His father was Jeremiah Lowary. His mother Catherine (Siple) Lowary. They were farmers by occupation, having passed their lives in tilling the soil. The father died in Sandusky, Ohio. The mother who survived her husband, came to Shelby County and spent her last days, passing away in Holland Township, August 6, 1871. The subject of this sketch was the only child of his parents.[Source: "Portrait and Biographical Record of Shelby and Moultrie Counties, Illinois..."; Chicago Biographical Publishing Co., 1891; tr. by G.T. Transcription Team]
The name at the head of this sketch is that of a practical farmer and stock-raiser residing on sections 17 and 18, of Pickaway Township, where he settled in 1851. Since that time he has put a great number of fine improvements upon the place so that it is now a most comfortable and desirable home. He came to Shelby County in 1846 and since that time he has lived here and in Flat Branch Township. Our subject began life here as a poor man and has since made all that he now possesses, and is at the present time looked up to as one of the most successful men in the county. He is worth at least $20, 000 and pays annually from $80 to $100 in taxes. His farm, which consists of one hundred and forty acres, is in very good condition. He is noted throughout the county for his industry and honesty. Our subject is of German birth and parentage, having first seen the light of day in the Kingdom of Hanover, Germany, January 6, 1826. His parents, who are Germans, were poor but worthy people and they lived and died in their native kingdom at quite an advanced age. They were George and Ellen Luffers and were small farmers, the father adding a carpenter's trade to his stock in store to aid in the support of his family. They were members of the Lutheran Church. Our subject is one of four children, there being three sons and one daughter, all of whom are now in this country. A sister died at an early age in Madison County, Ill. Mr. Luffers was the first of the family to come to the United States, being only eighteen years of age when he left his native land. He took passage on a sailing vessel called the "Little Competitor," and after eight weeks and three days spent on the ocean he landed in New Orleans, coming thence to St. Louis. This little trip occupied ten days. It can now be accomplished in a little over one day. The delay was caused by the ice blockade on the river, for our subject came northward by boat. He then came to Edwardsville, Madison County, this State, where he spent his first year. Here, he was married in the township of Pickaway, in October 1859, to Miss Louisa Smith. She was born in Madison County in 1828, and was a daughter of Thomas and Mary (Tolly) Smith, natives of Kentucky, who came to Illinois in an early day and settled in Madison County, where both parents died while yet in middle life. Mrs. Luffers spent the greater part of her life before her marriage in her native county. She has ever been a true helpmate to her husband and is no small factor in his successful career. Our subject and his wife have had no children of their own but they have been the loving foster parents of several children. These are Laura Carharn, who is now the wife of M. F. Butler, a farmer in this township; Kate Goodwin and Thomas Goodwin, the latter of whom is deceased. Kate married Herm Methias and they live on a farm in Flat Branch Township. Our subject came to his present location from Madison County, Ill., where he had arrived in 1845, spending about twelve months in that place doing what he could in the way of earning money for self support. His wages were but $7 or $8 per month at that time. Soon after marriage, however, he obtained the nucleus of his present farm, and since that time has been steadily advancing in his financial position. Politically Mr. Luffers affiliates with the Democratic party. He has held the position of Commissioner of Highways and satisfactorily discharged its duties. He and his wife are charming people, having attained the mellow age at which life is no longer a strife but a waiting period for the better thing that is to come after. They are both attendants upon the Baptist Church and are liberal supporters of the same. [Source: "Portrait and Biographical Record of Shelby and Moultrie Counties, Illinois. . . ." Published by Biographical Publishing Co., 1891, tr. by G.T. Transcription Team]
© Copyright by Genealogy Trails