Stark County, Illinois
Genealogy and History
PHYSICIANS OF THE COUNTY.
"DOCUMENTS AND BIOGRAPHY PERTAINING TO THE SETTLEMENT AND PROGRESS OF STARK COUNTY, ILLINOIS"
Transcribed by Kim Torp, ©2006
THE first resident physician of Stark county was Dr. Eliphalet Ellsworth, who practiced here before the Black Hawk war, and made a permanent settlement here in 1834. In 1835 a Dr. Pratt settled in Elmira township, and in 1837 came Dr. Thomas Hall, a man identified closely with the county up to the period of his death. He was followed by Dr. William Chamberlain, in 1840. When dysentery and typhoid prevailed here they traveled on horseback for nine weeks, making eighty miles one day and fifty-six the next. Six years later he and Dr. Chamberlain attended 1,500 patients and dispensed eighty ounces of quinine or Peruvian bark. Dr. E. R. Boardman, Dr. Bacmeister, Dr. Curtiss, Dr. King, and others, to whom full references are made in the township histories, must be classed as pioneer physicians. Many of the physicians who have practiced in this county are named in the following review :
In May, 1881, Dr. Baldwin sold his office, lot and practice at Toulon to Dr. Pratt, of Galva. Charles W. Wright, a medical student, died at Toulon, March 9,1884. On June 28, 1883, Dr. L. L. Long moved to Toulon from Orion. Dr. Gilman, dentist, settled at Wyoming in July, 1870. Dr. Thomas Motter, who was found dead in his office at Wyoming, January 6, 1885; practiced in that town for twelve years. Dr. J. G. Greene died in August, 1879. He was an old resident of Wyoming. Dr. A. Swen moved to Canton, McPherson county, Kansas, from Wyoming in March, 1886. Dr. Garfield, who practiced at Toulon from 1844 to 1848, then residing in a log cabin opposite Benj. Turner's house, moved to LaSalle, Ill. Dr. Curtiss, referred to in a former page, was one of the early physicians here. In 1865 S. S. Kaysbier began the practice of medicine here. He is now in Kansas. Dr. W. J. Adams, dentist of Toulon, was prohibited from using rubber dental plates in September, 1869. Dr. Kitchen, a dentist, was here in 1869. Dr. Dunn, brother of Rev. R. C. Dunn, who served in the 112th Illinois Infantry, died at Chicago, Cook county, in March, 1869. Dr. Walter T. Hall opened his office at Toulon in March, 1869, moved to Bradford in October of that year, but subsequently returned to Toulon. Dentist Hoover was at Toulon in 1880. Dr. Clark Demuth, of Plymouth, Mich., practiced at Toulon prior to 1881. Dr. J. C. Copestake, of Wyoming, practiced at West Jersey, and here also were the following named physicians: West, Barnett, Upshaw, Perry, W. A. Hampton, Claybaugh, R. W. King, W. S. McClenahan. Dr. Lamper practiced some years at Bradford. In 1870 his son was appointed receiver for Washington Territory. Dr. Swazey, the organizer of the first base ball club in the county, was at Toulon about 1866. In the fall of 1800 one Dr. Hayden, of Wyoming, was taken to the timber by the people and there shaved, tarred, feathered and pelted with rotten eggs. His alleged assault on the daughter of the pastor of the M. E. Church there was the cause of this popular punishment. R. O. Phillips, of Cal., practiced at Lafayette up to the time of his emigration to the Pacific slope. Dr. D. F. Chamberlain, a member of the first company sent from Stark Co. to the war, is now proprietor of a hotel at Eagle Rock, Idaho. Dr. Joseph S. Kohn died at Dorrance, Stark Co., March 29, 1885, He was born in Union Co., Pa, in 1809, but for years practiced in Stark and Bureau Counties. Dr. Chas. E. Jordan, formerly principal of the Castleton school, is now a dentist at Red Cloud, Neb. Dr. Pinney, of Kewanee, an old settler of the county, who visited Texas, served in the rebel army, returned in April, 1883, is now in Texas. His wife is a sister of Mrs. G. Laurence's mother. Dr. Gilman G. Shaw, a graduate of the Eclectic College of Pennsylvania, settled in Lombardville about 1876. Dr. Emigh, of Bradford, left for Red Cloud, Neb., 1883. Dr. A. V. Forgay located at Bradford in February, 1880. Mrs. Dr. Henrietta K. Morris, formerly of Bradford, was elected vice-president of the State Eclectic Medical Association in May, 1886. Dr. Annie L. Green removed from Bradford to Princeton in August, 1876. Dr. James Culbertson studied medicine, but has not practiced here. Dr. Azra Lee, a surgeon in the war of 1812, connected with the village of Duncan, died in August, 1876. Dr. L. T. Sprague settled at Lafayette in the fall of 1881, and opened a drug store there. Dr. Thomas, a physician of Duncan in 1881. Dr. Daniel Tyrrell is an old settler here, but long since retired from active professional work. Dr. S. T. C. Washburn died at Bradford in 1862, aged 40 years. Dr. Young was also here that year and here his wife died.
The official list of physicians registered in Stark county since 1877 includes the following names:
T. Bacmeister, Germany, December 4, 1877; H. M. Hall, now of Kansas; W. T. Hall, U. S., December 19, 1877; L. L. Long, Pennsylvania, April 5, 1884; A. W. Peterson, Germany, December 31, 1877, all registered at Toulon.
The physicians registered at Wyoming since 1877 are named as follows:
J. C. Copestake, England, February 1, 1878; Harvey N. Fox, Ohio, January 9, 1880; D. W. Magee, Pennsylvania, December 20, 1881; N. B. Morse, U. S., February 6, 1878.
In the other villages throughout the county are found the following named registered physicians (all natives of the Union, with the exceptions of J. Fieldhouse, of Camp Grove, a native of England):
E. O. Boardman, Osceola; E. R. Boardman, Elmira; James G. Boardman, Bradford; W. W. Claybaugh, West Jersey; John R. Crawford, Lafayette; O. C. Darling, Bradford; S. A. Davison, Bradford; J. Seth Farrell, Duncan; J. Fieldhouse, Camp Grove; J. R. Holgate, Castleton; W. S. McClenahan, West Jersey; John B. McDee, Camp Grove; S. T. W. Potter, Wada Petra; G. G. Shaw, Lombardville; Loyal T. Sprague, Dr. Nicholls, Lafayette.
Many of the above named physicians are members of the Military Tract Medical Society, and a few
of them are eminent in scientific circles.
Source: CHAPTER XIII., DOCUMENTS AND BIOGRAPHY PERTAINING TO THE SETTLEMENT AND PROGRESS OF STARK COUNTY, ILLINOIS
CONTAINING AN AUTHENTIC SUMMARY OF RECORDS, DOCUMENTS, HISTORICAL WORKS, AND NEWSPAPERS RELATING TO INDIAN HISTORY, ORIGINAL SETTLEMENT, ORGANIZATION AND POLITICS, COURTS AND BAR, CITIZEN SOLDIERS, MILITARY SOCIETIES, MARRIAGES, CHURCHES, SCHOOLS, SECRET BENEVOLENT AND LITERARY SOCIETIES, ETC. TOGETHER WITH BIOGRAPHY OF REPRESENTATIVE MEN OF THE PAST AND PRESENT WRITTEN FROM RECORDS AND PERSONAL REMINISCENCES, BY M. A. LEESON, CHICAGO: M. A. LEESON & CO. MDCCCLXXXVII.
Transcribed by Kim Torp, ©2006
Return to the Main Index Page for Stark County