Genealogy and History
Part of the Genealogy Trails History Group
John Laborde, the well-known owner and manager of the Oneco Flouring-Mills of Oneco Township, was born on the 25th of September, 1822, in Union County, Pa. David Laborde, his father, was born in Dauphin County, Pa., in 1793, where he resided until he was twenty-one years of age. He was apprenticed to a carpenter, serving his full apprenticeship and mastering all the details of that trade. When about twenty-five years of age he went to Union County, where he was married. For the space of about seven years he plied his vocation as carpenter in that county and vicinity, and then went to Clearfield County, where he secured a tract of timber land. He immediately set to work clearing the timber from this land, and in a few years succeeded in placing many acres of it under cultivation. On this farm he resided thirty years. Believing that he could better his condition in the West he disposed of his possessions in Pennsylvania and came to Illinois, settling in Rock Grove Township, Stephenson County, on eighty acres of land, which he had purchased. He remained on his farm during the last days of his life. The grandfather was Peter Laborde, and was of French descent. At the age of sixty years he disappeared, going no one knew whither. He was never afterward heard of. The mother, Catherine Arnold, was born in Northumberland County, Pa. Her father was of German descent, as were all the relatives on her side. John Laborde married Miss Catherine Dixon on the 5th of May, 1853, in Monroe, Wis. About eight years after the marriage of Mr. Laborde, he removed to Rock Grove, Stephenson Co., Ill., where he lived for three years. Having learned of the fertility of the soil in Shueyville, Green Co., Wis., he removed there, where he remained three years engaged in the milling business. Thence he removed to Rock Grove, Stephenson Co., Ill., and later to Martintown, Wis., where he engaged in milling. Having been successful in his pursuits he concluded to occupy larger fields for his business, and removed to Oneco Township, purchasing what was known as the Oneco Flouring-Mills. In the course of time as there came improvements in mill machinery he removed the old mill, and on its site erected the present model establishment. This mill does both custom and mercantile grinding for all this region of country. Mr. Laborde being careful in the management of his mills, and just in the exaction of tolls, is popular with the farming community. Mrs. Laborde's people were natives of Pennsylvania, of Scotch descent on the father's and German on the mother's side. The children of Mr. and Mrs. Laborde are: Susannah Eliza, Mrs. Schrack, who lives in Oneco; Franklin Pierce, who died in 1860, at the age of five years; Rosella J. died in 1880; Oliver H. P. died when one and one-half years of age; and Sylvester S. and John Alvah, who reside at home. Both are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and Mr. Laborde has been a church officer ever since he became a member. He is Democratic in politics, though taking no offensive part in political affairs. [Contributed by Carol Parrish from Portrait and Biographical Album of Stephenson County, Ill. (1888) Page 589]
Patrick Lacy, a prominent member of the farming community of Silver Creek Township, owns a quarter of section 19, which he has brought to a fine state of cultivation and supplied with a good residence and other suitable farm buildings. Of this he has been in possession since the spring of 1847, and deserves great credit for the manner in which he has assisted the development of the southeastern portion of Stephenson County. Our subject first drew breath on the other side of the Atlantic in County Kerry, Ireland, March 15, 1823. He is descended from pure Irish ancestry, and possesses all the characteristics of that warm-hearted and generous race. His father, John Lacy, was the proprietor of a modest estate, and spent his entire life on his native soil. The mother, formerly Miss Margaret Leonard, a native of the same county as her husband and son, also died there and is remembered by our subject as an affectionate and careful mother. Both parents belonged to the Roman Catholic Church and lived to a ripe old age. Their family consisted of two sons only, our subject and his brother Thomas. Mr. Lacy was reared to manhood in the home of his birth, and after reaching his majority was married, in County Galway, to Miss Maria Koyne, a native of the same country, where she was reared on her father's farm. The latter, Thomas Koyne, is still living and a resident of County Galway, having arrived at the advanced age of ninety years. He married Miss Mary Flynn, who died there some years ago. Mr. and Mrs. Lacy became the parents of nine children, namely, Thomas, James, Margaret, Mary, John, Sabrina, Patrick, William and Llewellyn. A few weeks after his marriage Mr. Lacy and his young bride embarked on the sailing-vessel "Staffordshire" for the United States, landing in the city of Boston after a voyage of about four weeks. Thence they proceeded to Salem, Mass., where they resided three years, and where our subject employed himself at whatever he could find to do. He then decided to seek the far West, which was beckoning to the enterprising emigrant and holding out to him better prospects for the future. He first proceeded to Wisconsin, but after a few years came into Northern Illinois, locating first in Davis, this county, where he was engaged in railroading for two years. Subsequently he rented a farm in Carroll County, upon which he operated one year, and after a brief residence in Winnebago County returned to this county, and purchased the land which comprises his present homestead. After taking possession of this he industriously proceeded with the cultivation of the soil and the erection of necessary buildings, and was prospered in his labors. The soil yielded bountifully, and after the lapse of years he was enabled to take life easier, and now finds himself surrounded by all its comforts and many of its luxuries. Mr. and Mrs. Lacy are faithful adherents to the Catholic faith of their fathers, and politically our subject votes with the Democratic party. He has been Assessor in his township and has held the office of Justice of the Peace since 1881. [Contributed by Carol Parrish from Portrait and Biographical Album of Stephenson County, Ill. (1888), pg. 669]
CHRISTIAN LAIBLE SR.
Christian Laible, Sr., one of the prominent German citizens of Lancaster Township, is a successful farmer and stock-grower, and owns a fine estate containing 110 acres of highly cultivated land located on section 19. He was born Jan. 21. 1821, in Wurtemberg, Germany, and is the son of Christopher and Regina (Hauser) Laible. Wurtemberg is favorably located in the basins of the Rhine and Danube, and agriculture and stock-raising are extensively carried on. Christopher Laible carried on farming in his native Province for a time but, attracted by the superior advantages offered in the United States he, in 1830, came to this country. A family of seven children had been born to him, only three of whom were then living. On his arrival in the United States, he settled with his wife and family in Black Rock, Erie Co., N. Y., where he engaged in farming and made his permanent home. He was enterprising and successful, and with his wife, passed the closing years of life at the homestead in the enjoyment of ease and plenty. Christian Laible resided on the farm during his boyhood and youth and assisted his father until he was twenty-one years of age. His marriage to Miss Anna Maria Clump took place May 7, 1843. Mrs. Laible was likewise a native of Wurtemberg, and came with her parents to the United States in 1832. They made their first settlement in Erie County, N. Y., where the father, who had been engaged in agriculture in his native land, carried on farming successfully until 1845. The family then removed to Illinois and settled in Lancaster Township, Stephenson County, where they passed the remainder of their lives. Mr. Clump died at the advanced age of seventy-six, and the mother's death occurred at the age of seventy-four. Mr. and Mrs. Laible had a family of eleven children, eight of whom are now living: Hannah, the wife of James Welsh, resides in Elgin, Ill., her husband being engaged in the Elgin Watch Manufactory; for the record of the next child see sketch of C. R. Laible, Jr., elsewhere in this work; Jacob F. married Miss Maria Glasser, who is now deceased; he resides in Lancaster Township with his father-in-law. William married Miss Mary Baker, and is also engaged in the Elgin Watch Manufactory; George C. married Miss Ida Best and resides in Fleming County, Neb.; Hattie is the wife of Albert Hoover and resides in Freeport, and Ferris and Ella are at home with their parents. Mr. Laible came to Stephenson County and his present home in 1870, and has applied himself very closely to business. He is thorough and energetic, and usually successful in his enterprises. He is one of the most loyal citizens of his adopted country, and a stanch supporter of the Republican party. Transcribed by Carol Parrish from History of Stephenson County Portrait & Biographical 1888, pg. 366]
Christian Laible, Jr., is one of the most thrifty and successful farmers in the township of Lancaster, and it is a pleasure to introduce him to the public. His land is pleasantly located on section 15, and contains seventy-nine and a half acres, all of which is well improved and of great value. Mr. Laible came to the county in the year 1870, and has since lived in the township of Lancaster. He was born in Ela Township, Lake Co., Ill., Feb. 7, 1853. His father, Christian Laible, Sr., is now a successful farmer on section 19, of Lancaster Township. The subject of this sketch remained in his native county until thirteen years old, when the family removed to Dundee, Kane County, and subsequently from there to Stephenson County, where he made his home with his parents until becoming of age. He was married to Miss Harriet Morse at the residence of his wife's brother-in-law, William Ruth, on the 14th of December, 1880. The bride was a daughter of James and Maria (Lintler) Morse, who are both deceased. Mrs. Laible was born in Kane County, in 1860, but acquired her education mostly in Wisconsin, where her parents lived during her girlhood. She is a lady well versed in all domestic affairs, and looks well after the ways of her household. Mr. and Mrs. C. R. Laible are the parents of three intelligent children - Raymond, Viola M. and Bertha. After their marriage Mr. Laible engaged in farming on his present land. By dint of hard work and frugality he has accumulated enough to provide for his family handsomely and also erected a handsome and convenient residence, besides a good barn and other out-buildings. It is just such industrious and energetic men as Mr. Laible, who within twenty-five years have caused the wild prairies of Lancaster Township to bloom as the rose, and to become the home of so many wealthy and intelligent people. In politics Mr. Laible is an ardent Republican, and in religion a worthy member of the Methodist Episcopal Church at Freeport. [Contributed by Carol Parrish from Portraits & Biographical Album Stephenson County, Ill. 1888, pg. 331]
DANIEL C. LAMB
Daniel C. Lamb, one of the enterprising and successful farmers of section 22, Loran Township, was but six years of age when, with his parents, he came to Stephenson County in the fall of 1842. His parents were John and Catherine (Heccock) Lamb, the father a native of Kentucky and the mother of New York State. They were among the pioneer settlers of Vigo County, Ind., which county has produced two members of Presidential cabinets, two United States Senators, three foreign ministers, and now has in the various departments at Washington, more representatives than any individual county in the West. They emigrated from that county to Stephenson County in the fall of 1842, and took up their residence in Loran Township, where they have since been honored and respected citizens. They were among the oldest settlers of Loran Township. The mother died on the 21st of March, 1854. The father, in the fall of 1857, was united in marriage with Mary Shumway Stout, who died on the 3d of October, 1886. The fruits of the first marriage were eight children, of whom four sons and one daughter grew up to manhood and womanhood. The subject of this sketch was the oldest of the family. He was born in Vigo County, Ind., on the 16th of September, 1836. With the exception of seven months' residence in Carroll County he has been a citizen of Stephenson County since 1842. On the 21st of October, 1863, he enlisted in Co. I, 13th Ill. Vol. Cav., and served in the army about two years. For meritorious service and faithfulness as a soldier he was promoted First Sergeant in his company. During the time he was a member of the 13th he participated in all the skirmishes and engagements in which his regiment took part. When he was mustered out of the service he returned to Loran Township and resumed his care of the farm. He has always been engaged in farming, and has devoted considerable attention to the raising of stock. He is the owner of 200 acres of highly cultivated land. He has erected upon this farm substantial buildings, both for place of residence and the care of the products of the farm. He is one of the progressive farmers of the day, and is constantly adding improvements in the way of buildings and machinery. Mr. Lamb was married to Miss Julia A. Calhoun, daughter of James and Elizabeth (Clouse) Calhoun, on the 22d of March, 1860. The parents of Mrs. Lamb were of Irish and French ancestry, and came to Stephenson County in 1857, settling in Loran Township. Thence they afterward removed to Jefferson Township, and subsequently to Carroll County. The mother died in Lanark, Ill., on the 10th of August, 1865. The father survives at an advanced age. The family of these aged people consisted of five boys and four girls. In the order of birth Mrs. Lamb was the sixth child. She was born in Bedford County, Pa., on the 6th of May, 1844. Mr. and Mrs. Lamb have had ten children, of whom seven are living, viz.: Emma C., Jessie A., Dora C., John W., Leslie L., Daisy E. and Shelby E. Hardin died when about four and one-half years old, and two died unnamed. Emma is the wife of D. W. Wallerman, and Jessie is the wife of Mr. M. E. Bashor. Through the partiality of his neighbors Mr. Lamb has been chosen to several offices, including School Treasurer and Township Collector. He is a member of John A. Davis Post No. 98, G. A. R., of Freeport. Ever since the close of the war Mr. Lamb has espoused the cause of the Republican party and although not a politician in the sense of being an office-seeker, he has steadily and persistently advocated the principles of that party. [Contributed by Carol Parrish from Portraits & Biographical Album Stephenson Co., Ill., 1888 pg. 351]
Samuel Lamb, of Ridott Township, was born and reared in Centre County, Pa., and is the offspring of excellent Scotch parents, who passed from earth early in life and left their son to the care of strangers. He was afterward looked after by a guardian, under whose care he remained until nineteen years of age, when, starting out in life for himself, he not long afterward found himself in the Prairie State, making arrangements for the establishment of a home of his own. He took up his residence in Ridott Township, in the spring of 1846, and purchased a tract of unimproved land of 164 acres, which he brought to a high state of cultivation. He has been a resident here continuously since that time, and by his worthy and upright course, has secured the esteem and confidence of the people of this locality. The paternal great-grandfather of Samuel lamb, it is judged by the records, was a Scotchman by birth, and was one of those who participated in the religious agitations which disturbed that country three centuries ago. He was distinguished for his bravery and gallantry as a soldier, and on account of his bravery in a famous battle, was presented with a large estate in Ireland. He took possession of his property, but prior to the Revolutionary War, came to this country and purchased a large tract of land in Centre County, Pa., which he designed for the benefit of his heirs, and which, he wisely judged, in the then disturbed condition of Ireland, would be of more service to them than the estate in that unhappy country. He, however, returned to Ireland, and spent the remainder of his days upon his estates there. He had married and reared a family, among his sons being William, the grandfather of our subject, who was born in Ireland, and who, upon reaching his majority, took possession of the land which his father had left in Centre County, Pa. This lay near Bellefonte, the county seat. William Lamb was married three times. Of his first marriage there was born a son whom they named Samuel. After reaching manhood, he took for his wife Miss Catherine King, a lady of German descent, but reared in Centre County. He located on a valuable tract of land in Centre County, and for many years resided at Coverly Hall, where he spent the last years of his life. His family included the subject of our sketch. Samuel Lamb, Jr., was born in Centre County, Pa., Sept. 17, 1814, and was the youngest but one of thirteen children, of whom only two are now living. He was deprived of the affectionate care of his mother when a very young child, and his father died when he was five years of age. He was then placed in the care of a guardian, who also died five years later, and a second one was appointed, under whose supervision he remained, and of whose family he was a member, until a youth of nineteen years. He received a good education, and after reaching his majority, was married in 1836, to Miss Lettie J. McKibben. This lady is a native of the same county as her husband, having been born May 30, 1816. She also had been left motherless when a young child. After becoming the mother of two children, she accompanied her husband to the West and departed this life on the homestead in Ridott Township on the 3d of October, 1883, when she was over sixty-six years of age. She had been trained in the doctrines of the Presbyterian Church, to which she adhered religiously until her death. Three of the five children born of this union are now deceased, Susan Jane, and two who died unnamed. Those surviving are Mary C., the wife of J. F. Strunk, a farmer of West Point Township, and William T., who married Miss Ellen Hunt, and occupies the homestead. Mr. and Mrs. Lamb after their marriage remained on a farm in Centre County, Pa., nine years. They made the journey to Illinois overland with teams, being five weeks on the road. They resided for a time in Lancaster Township, but in the spring of 1846, took possession of the land included in their present homestead. Upon this, it is hardly necessary to say Mr. Lamb has effected great improvements. He may be properly classed among the enterprising and progressive men who have redeemed the soil from its original condition, and assisted in developing the resources of one of the richest sections of the Prairie State. The surviving brother of Mr. Lamb is William Lamb, who is living in Robertson, Hardin Co., Iowa. [Contributed by Carol Parrish from Portrait and Biographical Album of Stephenson County, Ill. (1888), p. 402]
FIDELUS J. LAMM
Fidelus J. Lamm, deceased, was widely and favorably known as one of the most reliable and valued citizens of Silver Creek Township, to which he came during its early settlement, and by his example of thrift and industry, put idleness to shame, and presented an admirable example of the perseverance and enterprise which characterized his substantial German ancestry. Mr. Lamm first opened his eyes to the light in Baden, Germany, Feb. 25, 1822. In the spring of 1838, he set sail from the Fatherland, accompanied by his parents, resolving to seek his fortune in the New World. They landed at Buffalo, where they remained until the death of the father, which occurred one year later. Young Lamm then having in view the comfort of his mother and her family, and their welfare for the future, turned his steps westward, and finally located in Niles, Mich., whence a year later he migrated to this county, and took up his abode in Silver Creek Township. Here he was variously employed until the coming on of the California gold excitement, when he joined the caravan moving toward the Pacific Slope, and spent the nine years following among the mines. His success was variable, and he was fortunate in one respect, namely, that he escaped with his good constitution unimpaired, and if perhaps no richer in purse, had gained much experience by contact with different people, and in roaming over some of the most picturesque portions of the Western Continent. Upon his return, Mr. Lamm again took up his abode in Silver Creek Township. In June, 1865, while traveling through Marengo, Ill., his mother was killed by being run over by a train which backed upon her while she was walking on the track. She was then eighty-three years of age. Our subject had in the meantime been married to Miss Mary A. Kachelhoffer, when in Silver Creek Township, June 6, 1862. This lady was the daughter of Joseph and Magdalene (Bauer) Kachelhoffer, natives of Alsace, Germany. Mr. Kachelhoffer was a wagon-maker by trade, and emigrated to the United States after his marriage, locating first in Boston Township, Erie Co., N. Y., where he lived some time, and then removed to Buffalo Plains. Subsequently the family all came to Illinois, locating in Silver Creek Township in the spring of 1850. Here the father built up a good homestead, and died on his farm, July 1, 1880, at sixty-two years of age. The mother died Oct. 28, 1876, when she was over sixty years old. They connected with the Catholic Church in Freeport. Mrs. Lamm remained with her parents until her marriage with our subject, which resulted in the birth of seven children. Those living are Frank A., who manages the farm, and is in all respects a dutiful son; Jefferson W., Mary M., Charles and Rosa B., are at home with their parents. Those deceased are Flora E. and Mary J. The parents and children belong to the Catholic Church, and Frank A., politically, is a stanch Democrat.
The Lamm homestead comprises 200 acres of highly cultivated land, and with its appurtenances, forms a most desirable estate in Silver Creek Township. On e of its most interesting features is an old building constructed of black walnut and oak, which has probably stood the longest of any building of the kind in the county. It was used successively as a post-office, hotel, court-room, and for other purposes. The hand of time has loosened the joints and left its impress upon the timbers and it is now standing comparatively idle, a silent witness of the past. [Contributed by Carol Parrish Portrait and Biographical Album of Stephenson County, Ill. (1888), p. 501]
JACOB F. LANGENSTEIN
Jacob F. Langenstein, of Buckeye Township, who established himself on section 4 in 1853, is numbered among its most thrifty farmers. He is a native of Wurtemberg, Germany, and was born Dec. 16, 1825, on the farm of his father, where he lived until 1833. He is the son of Jacob and Anna M. Langenstein, who were also natives of the same section of country as their son and who, at the date above mentioned, with their four children, determined to seek their fortunes on another continent. Embarking on a sailing-vessel, they landed in New York City after a tedious voyage of sixty days, and proceeded thence directly to Lycoming County, Pa. The father of our subject was better provided for than many of the emigrants of those days, and brought with him sufficient means to purchase 400 acres of land, which with the exception of forty acres, was covered with timber. He cleared a large portion of this and occupied it until 1853, then decided upon pushing further westward. His mind was fixed upon Northern Illinois and, coming into this county, he purchased 240 acres of land in Buckeye Township, and proceeded again, as he had done in Pennsylvania, clearing the timber and building up a comfortable homestead. Here he lived and labored until eighty-five years of age, retaining his native energy to a remarkable degree, and folded his hands for his final rest on the 22d of June, 1885. The wife and mother had preceded her husband to the silent land on the 22d of June, 1878, her death occurring on the same day of the month as his. Their eight children, consisting of six sons and two daughters, all lived to mature years and became reputable and worthy citizens. The subject of this sketch was the second child of his parents, and was twelve years of age when they emigrated to America. He remembers well the old home in Wurtemberg, the incidents of preparation to leave it, and the long voyage across the Atlantic. He assisted in the improvement of his father's two farms in Pennsylvania and Illinois, and remained under the parental roof until his marriage. After this event he located on the land which he now occupies. This he has brought to a fine state of cultivation, erected all necessary buildings, and has accumulated a nice little property upon which to fall back in his old age. The marriage of Jacob F. Langenstein and Miss Sarah Yoorg took place at the home of the bride, in Illinois, in the spring of 1858. Mrs. L. was born in the city of Philadelphia, Pa., April 24, 1836, and is the daughter of Frederick and Catharine Yoorg, natives of Germany, who emigrated to America in 1831, and spent their first few years in this country in Philadelphia. Thence they removed to Freeport, this county, and subsequently Mr. Yoorg purchased a farm near Cedarville, which he occupied until 1863. He then retired from active labor and, returning to Freeport, died there in the spring of 1880. The mother continues a resident of that city. Mr. and Mrs. Langenstein became the parents of six children, namely, Mary A., Catherine E., J. John, Ida S., Ellen C., and Edward. They are numbered among the substantial residents of their township and belong to the Evangelical church. [Contributed by Carol Parrish from Portrait and Biographical Album of Stephenson County, Ill. (1888), p. 286]
GEORGE S. LANTZER
George S. Lantzer is a promising young farmer located on section 25 of Kent Township. The parents of Mr. Lantzer were John and Hannah (Deibler) Lantzer, and were both born in Northumberland County, Pa. They were among the original settlers of Stephenson County, having located in Loran Township in 1849, where the father died in 1873. The mother survives. The family consisted of seven children, six girls and one boy, the latter being the subject of this sketch, who was born in Loran Township on the 11th of September, 1851. Such educational facilities as were afforded by the common schools at that time he availed himself of, and remained at home with his parents until 1876, when he concluded that he would begin the battle of life for himself. He settled in Kent Township, where he has since constantly resided. He was married in that township, on the 5th of November, 1876, to Susan Wingart, daughter of Mary and Jacob Wingart. The mother died in Kent Township in the spring of 1885, and in the year 1886 the father moved to the State of Kansas. Mr. and Mrs. Wingart had eight children, of whom Mrs. Lantzer was the seventh in order of birth. She was born in Union County, Pa., on the 19th of May, 1851. Mr. and Mrs. Lantzer are the parents of four children - Emmerson W., Mabel J., Emogene and Inis I. The farm of Mr. Lantzer consists of 155 acres, every inch of which is tillable and is finely cultivated. He and his wife are members of the Lutheran Church, and in politics he is a member of the Democratic party. The parents of the subject of this sketch first settled in Northumberland County, Pa., where they lived until they came to Stephenson County. The father was a blacksmith by occupation, and followed that trade for many years. Finally his health failed and he concluded to give his attention to farming. At the time of his death he was the owner of 100 acres in Loran Township. Mr. Lantzer at times handles large quantities of live stock. In his younger days he was the main stay of his father, whose farm became somewhat encumbered. When he was twenty-five years of age he assisted materially in removing the indebtedness from the farm so that it could be kept in the line of family descent. Mr. Lantzer had led an industrious life and has net with a fair measure of success. In the early days of the county he had much hard experience, such as only men of indomitable will, nerve and courage could cheerfully face. [Contributed by Carol Parrish from Portrait and Biographical Album of Stephenson County, Ill. (1888), p. 657]
David G. Lashell represents, at Rock Run City, the agricultural implement trade, and is also Secretary of the Farmer's Mutual Fire Insurance Company, of Rock Run Township. He established himself in trade here in the spring of 1887, where he has since operated successfully and is building up a profitable patronage. He has had considerable experience as a merchant, and was for some time connected with J. H. Graham, the lumber dealer. He is wide-awake and energetic, a man of good business capacities, and bids fair to become prominent in the various interests of this section. He is yet on the sunny side of forty, and is one of the rising members of the community of whom much is expected in the future. Mr. Lashell was born in Jefferson Township, Stephenson County, Sept. 24, 1848. His father, Robert Lashell, was a stanch Pennsylvania farmer, who first opened his eyes in the Keystone State in 1823. While yet a lad he came with his father, George Lashell, to Illinois. The latter took up a tract of Government land in Jefferson Township before it had been surveyed, and succeeded in developing a good farm, which he occupied the balance of his days. He was considered remarkably successful for those times, and possessed the thorough and systematic business methods which seldom fail to meet with success. He was twice married, his second wife having been Miss Susan Auren, who still survives, making her home at Loran, in this county. Robert Lashell, the father of our subject, came to this State a single man and located with his father in Jefferson Township. He began early in life to set about the establishment of a home of his own, one of the most important steps toward that end being his marriage with Miss Elizabeth Graham. The mother of our subject was born in Pennsylvania, and was a lady of great strength of character, and possessed to an eminent degree the Christian virtues of kindness and charity. She is still living, being now sixty-three years of age, and makes her home with one of her daughters in Sterling, Kan. The elder Lashell, after his marriage, located in Rock City, and in 1858 engaged in general merchandising in partnership with J. H. Graham. They continued together until 1863, and then Robert Lashell removed to Rock Grove City, where he carried on a similar business and where his death took place in 1865. He was a Lutheran in religion and a Republican in politics, and bore the reputation of a reliable business man and a desirable citizen. The subject of our sketch was the only son and second child of his parents, whose household included besides himself seven daughters, three of whom died in infancy. David G., our subject, was educated in the district schools and at Cedarville, and remained under the home roof until his marriage, Aug. 31, 1876. The lady destined to become the sharer of his fortunes was Miss Mary Raymer, who became his wife at the home of her parents in Rock City. She is the daughter of George and Catherine Raymer, old settlers of this county, her father being engaged in farming pursuits. Mrs. Lashell was born in Rock Run Township Sept. 14, 1857, and has become the mother of three sons and one daughter, namely, Robert, George, Daniel and Mary. In 1887 Mr. Lashell became associated in partnership with Adolph H. Mellenberndt, a thorough business man like himself, and they command the patronage of the best residents of Rock Run Township. Our subject is Republican in politics, and has officiated as School Treasurer, Township Collector, and in various other positions assigned him by his fellow-citizens. In religious matters he is identified with the Evangelical Church. [Contributed by Carol Parrish from Portrait and Biographical Album of Stephenson County, Ill. (1888), p. 583]
Farmer, Sec. 9; P. O. Cedarville; born in Lebanon Co. PA Dec. 13, 1824; came to Stephenson Co. in 1856; from 18 years of age he has followed milling; when he came here he run the Scoito Flouring Mills for eight years; then, his health failing, he bought this farm, in 1865 and moved into the house in 1866; owns 70 acres, valued at $50 per acre; with the help of his boys has carved his fair acres from the dark forest; the people of the township made him Road Commissioner; he has also held school offices. In politics a Republican, and belongs to the Lutheran Reform Church. In 1846, he married Miss Rebecca Dierweicber of Pennsylvania; they had six children: William J., now in Iowa; Amanda A., Roland M., John H., Jerome F. and Aaron A., now in Iowa, married, and one child. Mr. Law had two brothers in the army; Henry S. was taken prisoner on Missionary Ridge and starved to death in Andersonville; John, with his family, now lives in Cedarville, Buckeye Township. [Transcribed by Christine Walters from History of Stephenson County Western Historical Co. 1880]
JOHN T. LEASE
John T. Lease, prominently connected with the agricultural interests of Ridott Township, of which he is at present Supervisor, lives on section 3, where he has operated since the spring of 1882. He came to this State in 1854, and has been one of its most enterprising citizens, keeping pace with the improvements of the present day and watching with special interest the progress and development of Stephenson County. The first recollections of our subject are of a modest home in Lycoming County, Pa., where he first drew breath Oct. 16, 1845. His father, Henry Lease, also a native of the Keystone State, descended from French and German ancestry. His grandfather served on the side of the Colonists in the struggle for American liberty, and after peace had been declared resumed the agricultural pursuits to which he had been bred from boyhood. He spent the latter part of his life in Berks County, where he died and where his remains were laid to rest. His son Henry, the father of our subject, was born at the homestead in Berks County in 1803, and there spent the early years of his life. Upon reaching manhood he was united in marriage with Mrs. Elsie (Thompson) Stitsel, a native of his own county and of Irish descent. The young people first began life together in Lycoming County, where they resided until 1854, and where their children were born. In the fall of that year they determined to change their location, and starting westward landed in this county and took up their abode on section 4, in Ridott Township. They still remain upon the homestead established more than thirty years ago. This consists of forty acres, which was partially improved at the time of purchase, but which has been carefully cultivated, and yields its possessor a comfortable living. The father and mother of our subject have now arrived at a good old age and are spending their later days in the ease and retirement which they have so justly earned by their frugality and industry. Henry Lease early in life identified himself with the Democratic party, but meddled very little with politics, only casting his vote at the general elections. He was reared in the doctrines of the Presbyterian Church, but has become more liberal in his ideas as his years advance, and avails himself of the privilege of independence of thought and action. The mother of our subject was formerly married to Daniel Stitsel, and of this union there was born one son, Daniel A., who is now a prosperous hardware merchant of Pecatonica. He married Miss Nellie Brown, of Worcester, Mass. Of her marriage with Mr. Lease there were born two sons and two daughters. One of the latter, Hannah E., is now deceased; her death took place at her home in this township when she was about thirty years of age. The eldest daughter, Sarah, is the widow of J. H. Fessler, and is carrying on her farm successfully in Hardin County, Iowa; Charles was reared in Ridott Township and married Miss Mary Clyens, formerly of New York State; he is engaged as a druggist in Wichita, Kan. John T. of our sketch was the youngest member of the family. Our subject resided in his native county until the removal of his parents to Illinois, and received a practical education in the public schools, pursuing his studies in Ridott Township and completing them at the Business College of Bryant & Stratton, Chicago. In making his arrangements for the establishment of a home the most important step was his marriage with Miss Lizzie McKibben, which was celebrated at the home of the bride on the 23d of October, 1878. Mrs. L. is the daughter of J. F. McKibben, now a resident of Lancaster Township, of which he has one of the pioneer settlers and a prominent and successful farmer. In that township his daughter Lizzie was born and reared, and pursued her early studies in the district schools. Later she attended the Ladies' Seminary at Rockford, and remained a member of her father's household until her marriage. She is a member of the Presbyterian Church, while our subject, like his father, is extremely liberal in his religious ideas. Mr. Lease entered upon his duties as Supervisor of Ridott Township in the spring of 1885, since which time he has discharged the duties of his office in a manner creditable to himself and satisfactory to the people. He is a straight Democrat, politically, and the fact that in a Republican township he met with little opposition in his election, speaks well for him as a citizen. He served as Collector for a term of three years and has otherwise been identified with local matters. [Contributed by Carol Parrish from Portrait and Biographical Album of Stephenson County, Ill. (1888), p. 412]
WILLIAM HOBART LEBKICHER
The Honor Roll of The Great War for Stephenson County, 1917-1919 has misspelled William Hobart Lebkicher's name. It is not Lebkicker, but Lebkicher. He is listed as Hobart Lebkicher in the Freeport telephone directories for 1948, 1951, and 1956. He wrote his date of birth as December 24, 1889 on his World War I Draft Registration Card. This same date is on his death certificate, but then crossed out and December 24, 1887 is written in. There is no explanation for this. He had graduated from Freeport High School in 1909. He was employed for five years as a chief clerk by the Chicago, Milwaukee, St. Paul & Pacific Railroad. He was apparently working at that position when he signed his draft registration card.
According to the Honor Roll, he enlisted February 27, 1918 in Freeport and served as a Private, 1st Class, with the 28th Company R. T. C. (which stands for Reserve Training Corps). He was overseas 13 months, and was discharged July 17, 1919 at Camp Grant (Winnebago County, Illinois). Probably around 1929, he began working for Stover Manufacturing and Engine Company, and by 1941 he had become foreman of the stock and shipping department. In February 1941, he ran for county assessor as a write-in candidate on the Citizens' ticket. The February 3, 1941 edition of the Freeport Journal Standard provided photographs and short biographies of the candidates. In addition to his employment history (given above), it states that he was single and living at 418 South Walnut. There is no indication that he won this election.
He married Cora E. (Dick) Austin on March 20, 1946. She was the daughter of Robert and Mary Dick. She had previously been married to Howard E. Austin on October 5, 1893 in Jo Daviess County, Illinois, probably in Stockton. He had also worked many years for Stover Manufacturing & Engine Company, and they lived at 710 South Walnut. His parents were Owen and Mary (Williams) Austin. Howard E. Austin died from a stroke on April 7, 1939 in Freeport and is buried at Ladies Union Cemetery in Stockton.
Cora E. (Dick) Austin Lebkicher was born April 14, 1871 in Jo Daviess County, and she died June 25, 1956 in Freeport. She had no children. William Hobart Lebkicher died from a heart attack on September 20, 1957 in Freeport; both he and Cora are buried in Oakland Cemetery.
William Hobart Lebkicher's parents were Samuel Trumbaur and Ida K. (Rowell) Lebkicher. Samuel died in on June 7, 1907; he is probably buried at Oakland Cemetery, although I haven't verified that. His wife Ida died August 29, 1942 in Freeport and is buried at Oakland Cemetery. William Hobart Lebkicher had two brothers and three half-brothers. His brothers were Frank Rowell Lebkicher who was born in 1882 and lived in Wisconsin, and Louis Leonard Lebkicher who lived in Freeport and died there February 21, 1944. Louis had been married to Maude Chilcott, who had died November 3, 1943. Samuel Trumbaur Lebkicher had previously been married to Joanna Bauman, who had died in 1874. They had three sons: Arthur B. Lebkicher, who died young, John Easter Lebkicher, who died in 1939, and Colin B. Lebkicher, who married Florence Wallace and moved to Miles City, Montana. He died October 26, 1943 in Montana. [Written and contributed by Alice Horner]
HENRY HOLLIS LECKINGTON
One of the snuggest farms and most comfortable appearing homesteads in the western part of Stephenson County, is the one owned by Mr. Leckington, on section 6, Kent Township. His parents were Jacob and Christina (Acker) Leckington, who were born in Juanita County, Pa. They left that State in 1851 for Illinois, and before reaching their destination the mother and children were taken with the measles. The mother died on the boat just before they were ready to land in Bureau County. This left Mr. Leckington with a family of children upon his hands in a country and among people which were strange to him. But being a man of strong resolution he did the best under the circumstances and cared for his children to the utmost of his ability until after harvest, when he moved to Stephenson County, and settled in West Point Township, where he has resided since. There were nine children, eight of whom attained to manhood and womanhood: John died in West Point Township, when about nineteen years of age. Henry was the youngest of the family who lived to grow to manhood. He was born in Juanitata County, Pa. March 18, 1849, and was about three years old when his parents removed to Illinois. He remained at home until he was twenty-six years of age, and during that time availed himself of such opportunities as were presented to obtain a common-school education. At the age of twenty-six he was married and settled in Kent Township. He is the owner of ninety-live acres of land, all of which is improved, and since his residence in this township he has been continuously engaged in farming. Our subject was married in Kent Township, on the 15th of October 1874, to Miss Hattie A. Gillett daughter of Harmon K. and Mary M. (Baird) Gillett, the former a native of Pennsylvania and the latter of New York State. They moved into Stephenson County, and settled in Kent Township, where they have since resided. They have four daughters, of whom Mrs. Leckington is the eldest. She was born in Kent Township, Aug. 16, 1855. Mr. and Mrs. Leckington are the parents of four children: Minnie B., Charles E., Chole D. and Mabel M. Chios and Mabel died young. Mr. Leckington has been School Director for several terms. At the time this sketch was written he was serving his third term as Constable. He belongs to the Democratic party. Mrs. Leckington is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church. [Contributed by Christine Walters from Portrait and Biographical Album of Stephenson County, Ill., 1888]
RACHEL (KRATZER) LEE
Mrs. Rachel Lee came to this county during the days of its earliest settlement, and for a period of thirty-five years has occupied a comfortable homestead on section 13, in Waddams Township. Her earliest recollections are of Brown County, Ohio, where she was born Jan. 2, 1809. Her father, Jacob Kratzer, was a native of Virginia, and the son of Simon Kratzer, who was of German birth and parentage, and was brought by his father and mother to this country when a small child. They located in the Old Dominion, where young Simon grew to manhood and was married. He continued there until about 1805, then migrated to Ohio and located in Brown County, where he made his permanent home. His son Jacob, was reared and married in Virginia and accompanied his father to Ohio, the removal being made down the river on a flatboat. They were among the first settlers of Brown County, and Jacob Kratzer, like his father, located in a timber tract and built a log cabin, which he occupied for a number of years with his family, and where his daughter, Rachel, of our sketch was born. The father of Mrs. Lee felled the forest trees around his cabin home and had prepared a considerable portion of the soil for cultivation, when his title proved defective, and the land was taken from him. He thus lost all his labor and was obliged to leave his improvements, without being compensated. About 1827 he emigrated overland to Indiana, accompanied by his wife and eleven children and his widowed mother. He located in Shelby County when the settlements were few and far between and repeated the process which he had gone through in Ohio, felling the timber and clearing a farm, but this time with better results. He retained possession of his property and occupied it until his death. He had married in early manhood Miss Annie Atkinson, also a native of the Old Dominion, and who became the mother of eleven children, among them being Rachel, of our sketch. The early years of the subject of this history were spent under the parental roof, where she assisted her mother in household duties, and after the fashion of the maidens of those days, became an expert at spinning, weaving and knitting. When a young lady of twenty-three years of age she was united in marriage with Elliott Lee, the wedding taking place at the home of her parents Dec. 10, 1832. Mr. Lee was born in Chermont County, Ohio, April 21, 1805, and was the son of William Lee, a native of the North of Ireland. After marriage the young people located on a farm in Hamilton County, Ind., where they lived until 1836. They then determined to seek a permanent home in Illinois. The household goods, including cooking utensils and provisions, were loaded into a wagon, and by means of two horses they started overland and reached this county after a journey of thirty days. Mr. Lee selected Rock Run Township for his future residence and here made a claim, where he put up a log cabin and gradually proceeded with the cultivation of the soil. The land had not been surveyed at that time but as soon as this was done and the land office opened at Dixon Mr. Lee secured his title and began the establishment of a permanent homestead. The family occupied the cabin until a saw mill was started and then Mr. Lee procured lumber and built a frame house. This they occupied until the spring of 1848, and Mr. Lee then sold out and purchased the place where his widow resides. He died here on the 5th of March, 1853. Of the twelve children born to Mr. and Mrs. Lee seven are now living: Luther is a resident of Warren, this county; James lives in Santa Fe, N. M.; Mary J. is the wife of Hiram Shippee, of Waddams Township; Elliott occupies the old homestead with his mother; John lives in Webster City, Iowa; Samuel lives in Freeport, Ill., and Josephine, the wife of Henry Kleckler, lives in Waddams Township. Mr. Lee was reared in the doctrines of the Lutheran Church, which remained his religion during his lifetime. [Contributed by Carol Parrish from Portraits & Biographical Album Stephenson Co., Ill. 1888, pg 226]
JESSE R. LEIGH
Jesse R. Leigh, ex-Sheriff of Stephenson County and a brave and gallant soldier for the Union during the late Civil War, is now engaged in the peaceful pursuits of farm life on section 35, in Harlem Township.
The parents of our subject, Joseph and Eliza (Thompson) Leigh, were natives of Washington County, N. Y. The father was a farmer by occupation, and with his excellent wife continued to reside in Washington County until his death about 1877. The demise of the mother took place in 1835. Nine children were born of their union, all of whom lived to attain the age of maturity. Jesse R. Leigh was the seventh in order of birth of his parents' children. He first saw light in Washington County, N. Y., April 19, 1831, and there developed into manhood. His early years were passed on the home farm, and he continued to reside with his parents until he was about sixteen years old. At this age he began working in a gristmill and later in a tannery, and subsequently learned the trade of a carpenter and joiner. This latter he followed until his enlistment in the Union army, which was in August, 1862. Joining the 92d Illinois Infantry he became First Sergeant of Company A, and served his country faithfully and well until the close of the war, when he received an honorable discharge. He was wounded at the battle of Aiken, S. C. After thirty days' experience in an ambulance he was assigned to the hospital at Wilmington, N. C., thence to New York, and for about three months he was there confined.
Mr. Leigh was discharged from the service June 21, and was subsequently mustered out at Chicago. He returned from the war and located in this county, to which he had moved from New York State in 1856, and since which time he has made it his home. For about two years after his return from the war he was engaged in buying grain and stock at Eleroy, and the remainder of his time until the present has been devoted chiefly to agricultural pursuits. In 1876 he was elected Sheriff of this county, and in 1878 re-elected to the same position, and was the incumbent of that office for four years. In 1881 he was appointed Deputy Revenue Collector of the Second Illinois District, which position he held until 1885, when, on account of a change of administration, he was compelled to vacate.
Jesse R. Leigh was united in marriage with Miss Harriet L. Pickard May 2, 1859, in Ogle County, this State. Mrs. Leigh was the daughter of Squire O. and Sarah (Way) Pickard, natives of Connecticut. Her parents came to this county in 1839 and settled in Erin Township. In the summer of 1865 they removed to Iowa County, Iowa, where the mother died in 1871. The father survives and is a resident of Shelby County, Iowa. Nine children were born to Mr. and Mrs. Pickard, and grew to the age of maturity. Mrs. Leigh was the oldest of her parents' children, and was born in Erin Township March 16, 1840. Several months prior to her marriage she was engaged in teaching. Her union with Mr. Leigh has been blest with four children - Clarence W., Ivy C., Jennie W. and Jessie M. Clarence W. married Miss Mary Munn, and they are living in Chicago, where he is engaged in the practice of medicine. Mr. Leigh socially is a member of the Masonic fraternity, and likewise belongs to the G. A. R., holding fellowship with John A. Davis Post No. 98, of Freeport. In politics he is a member of the Republican party. [Transcribed by Carol Parrish from History of Stephenson County 1888 Portrait & Biographical Album, pg 356]
JOHN B. LEITZELL, M. D.
John B. Leitzell, M. D., is one of the leading physicians of West Point Township, where, doubtless, many are familiar both with his cheerful countenance and his reputation as a physician of skill and culture.
He is the son of Philip and Julia (Nofsker) Leitzell, and was born March 16, 1829. The family is of German extraction. His grandfather, Jacob Leitzell, was a native of Berks County, Pa., and passed his entire life in that State, engaged in farming. His son Philip was born in Berne Township, Berks Co., Pa. He attended school and assisted his father in the labor of the farm until he reached the age of eighteen, when he removed to Centre County. A few years later he purchased land and engaged in farming in Gregg Township. His death occurred Jan. 16, 1871. His wife died on the old homestead Nov. 9, 1869. Their family consisted of thirteen children, of whom eleven grew to maturity.
John B. Leitzell remained with his parents, alternately attending school and assisting with the farm work, until he was twenty years of age. Possessing an unusually thoughtful and studious mind, he determined to enter one of the professions, and at twenty years of age he commenced the study of medicine in the office of Drs. Peter and Charles Smith, at Spring Mills, Pa. He attended lectures at the Pennsylvania Medical College, and graduated March 5, 1853, and commenced the practice of medicine in Spring Mills. Not feeling satisfied with his location there after a six months' trial, he removed to Stormstown, and from thence to Salona, Clinton County, where he remained seventeen years. In the meantime he purchased a farm near Spring Mills, Centre County, but continued to practice medicine, supervising the help employed to conduct the farm labor. In 1883 he removed to Stephenson County, and settled in Ridott Township, and in 1884 he purchased the farm which he now occupies in West Point Township, of which his son Harry is the manager.
Dr. Leitzell was twice married. In 1854 he was married to Miss Emily Blakeley, a native of Bellefonte, Centre Co., Pa. Her death occurred May 18, 1866. Nov. 9, 1869, he was united in marriage with Miss Sarah D. Custard. She was a native of Lamar Township, Clinton Co., Pa. There were three children born by the first marriage: Charles P., who graduated from the Baltimore College of Physicians and Surgeons in March, 1882; Harry B., who is a teacher, and Mary E. Charles P. is now associated with his father, and assists him in carrying on his extensive practice.
Dr. John B. Leitzell is a man of rare mental and moral worth, and is also possessed of a vigorous physique which enables him to endure the fatigue of the long drives imposed upon him by his large practice. In his declining days he is reaping the reward of a temperate life. Dr. and Mrs. Leitzell are prominent members of the Methodist Church. The Doctor belongs to the Republican party, and since 1864 has been a member of Lena Lodge, I. O .O. F.
P. J. Leitzell is now in Girard, Crawford Co., Kan., where he has been a resident since 1876. His time has been employed since a resident of Kansas, as County Superintendent and teacher. Charles B. Leitzell, also a physician and surgeon, graduated at Jefferson Medical College, in Philadelphia, and is now practicing medicine at Reimesburg, Armstrong Co., Pa., and is one of the successful practitioners of the State. The remainder of the brothers and sisters of our subject reside in Centre County, Pa., engaged in various vocations, and are all prospering and well-to-do in the world. [Contributed by Carol Parrish - Portrait and Biographical Album of Stephenson County, Ill. (1888), p. 302-3]
John B. Leitzell, M. D. is one of the leading physicians of Oneco township. He is the son of Philip and Julia (Nofsker) Leitzell and was born March 16th, 1829. The family is of German extraction. His grandfather, Jacob Leitzell, was a native of Berks county, Pennsylvania, and passed his entire life in that state, engaged in farming. His son Philip was born in Berne township, Berks county. He attended school and assisted his father in the labors of the farm until he reached the age of eighteen when he removed to Center county. A few years later he purchased land and engaged in farming in Gregg township. His death occurred January 16, 1871. His wife died on the old homestead July 9, 1869. Their family consisted of thirteen children, via: John B., our subject; George and Henry who died in infancy; Samuel, living retired in Lycoming county, Pa.; Margaret, wife of James Hannah, lives in Center county, Pa.; Sarah, wife of M. H. Guise, lives in Penn Hall, Pa.; Mary Ann is the wife of John D. Long, of Center county, Pa.; James N. resides at Spring Mills, Pa.; Eliza Jane, wife of Wm. Peiler, resides in Spring Mills; Charles B. graduated at Jefferson Medical college in Philadelphia, and is now practicing medicine in Derry Station, Pa.; Perceival J. is a merchant in Girard, Kansas; Susan Emily, widow of Louis Eichthorn, lives in Manor Hill, Pa.; Philip P. resides at Millhime, Pa.
John B. Leitzell remained with his parents, alternately attending school and assisting with the farm work, until he was twenty years of age. At this age he commenced the study of medicine in the office of Drs. Peter and Charles Smith at Spring Mills, Pa. He attended lectures at the Pennsylvania Medical college, and graduated March 5, 1853, then commenced the practice of medicine in Spring Mills. After six months he removed to Stormstown and from thence to Salona, Clinton county, where he remained seventeen years. In the meantime he purchased a farm near Spring Mills, Center county, but continued to practice medicine, supervising the help employed to conduct the farm labor. In 1883 he removed to Stephenson county, settling in Ridott township, and in 1884 he purchased a farm in West Point township where he resided four years, after which he moved to Lena and practiced his profession until the Fall of 1893, when he removed to his present home in Orangeville, where he is a large property owner, and is engaged in farming in connection with his practice. Dr. Leitzell was twice married. November 9, 1854, he was married to Miss Emily Blakely, a native of Bellefonte, Center county, Pa. Her death occurred May 18, 1863. May 13, 1869, he was united in marriage with Miss Delinda S. Custard. She was a native of Lamar township, Clinton county, Pa. There were three children by the first marriage: Charles P., who graduated from the Baltimore College of Physicians and Surgeons in March, 1882, married Ella Stahl and is a practicing physician in Cedarville, 111.; Harry B., who is a machinist at Freeport, Pa.; Mary Emily is the wife of John L. Sherman and resides in Belvidere, Ill. Dr. Leitzell is a member of the Lutheran church and his wife is a member of the Methodist Episcopal church of Orangeville. The Doctor is a member of the Masonic lodge No. 687 and J. K. Sproggs lodge No. 362 I. O. O. F. of Orangeville, and also belongs to the Knights of Pythias lodge of Lena. He is an active leader of the republican party and has held the offices of assessor and collector for his township. He is one of the best preserved men of his age in Stephenson county, being youthful in appearance, very active, and reads and writes mostly without glasses. [History of Stephenson County by Addison L. Fulwider 1910 Chapter 373]
John Lerch, the husband of Sarah Settle, was of a family who left Langenselbold, Hesse Cassel, Germany and came to this country in 1738. John and his wife were both born in Berks Co., Pa. as were all of their seven children. It was in 1847 or 1848 that they left Berks Co. and apparently travelled overland westward to some point where they reached the Ohio River. They came by boat down the Ohio to the Mississippi River and then up the river to Galena, From which point they went overland to Freeport where they settled.
What had been John Lerch's occupation or business is not now known; however, at some time after reaching Freeport he built the first grist mill in that vicinity. It was located at the dam on the Pecatonica River and, to my last knowledge, is still standing (in the 1950's). The property finally came into the possession of the firm of Goddard and Clark and they made flour, following that line until the Goddard's either started or gained control of the electric street car lines and the electric lighting when the mill was converted to an electric power plant, with an auxiliary power plant at Brown's Mill, located about six miles down the Pecatonica. Brown's Mill was owned and operated by E. S. Brown, who conducted a flour and feed store on South Galena Avenue. It was at the site of this mill where five or six school chums and I "camped out" for several years throughout the summer school vacation.
John Lerch also operated a hotel on Galena (now Main) Street which was known for many, many years as the "New York House".
I doubt that I ever knew my Great-grandfather Lerch, for I was but three years of age when he died, and our family was living in Sterling at the time. His wife died long before -- 1870. I did know the children -- Caroline, Catherine and Peter, and of course Matilda, who was my grandmother. Caroline married Seferas Snyder and they operated a farm near Afolkey, Ill. We many times drove out there to spend a day at their farm home. Catherine married Levi Martin who had a shoe sale and repair shop in Freeport for many years. They moved to Chicago and it was there that my mother, brother and I stayed while we spent two weeks attending the Chicago World's Fair in 1893. Peter was a "travelling salesman" for Marshall Field & Co. of Chicago, and it was he who kept me, and my many Freeport cousins, supplied with kid gloves. His entire sales line was gloves and of course he carried many samples and he made us presents every time he came to Freeport. Both John and Sarah Lerch are buried at the City Cemetery in Freeport. ["Reminiscences of Freeport", By Charles Sheetz Kintzel 1883 - 1957; Contributed by Karen Fyock]
CHARLES C. LESEMANN
The Lesemann homestead consists of 210 acres located on section 9, Kent Township, and is in charge of the subject of this sketch, who is the son of Charles and Mary (Diestelmeier) Lesemann. They were both natives of Germany, and when they emigrated to this country, the former was about twenty-one and the latter about sixteen years of age. After they were married, they settled in Kent Township in 1848, where they have lived with the exception of a short residence in Freeport. The father of our subject was a stonemason by trade, and after coming to this country that was his principal occupation, although he also farmed to a considerable extent. He prospered in both lines of business and became the owner of 200 acres of land, on which he erected good and substantial buildings, and made all other necessary improvements. His death occurred on the 9th of June, 1878, while living on this property. Their family consisted of eight children, five of whom grew up - Mary C., Charles C., Matilda M., Fred H. and Minnie E. Those who died were Minnie C., Carrie and Daniel. Mary is the wife of Charles Gassman, and resides in Erin Township; Matilda is the wife Rev. John Hoffmeister, and resides at Waterloo, Iowa. Charles C. Lesemann married Anna L. Gassman, on the 24th of March, 1881. She was a native of Stephenson County, having been born in Erin Township, April 2, 1858. To them have been born two children - Edwin C. and Laura M. Mr. Lesemann since the death of his father, has had the management of the old homestead, and under his care, the standard of the farm has been kept up. Mr. and Mrs. Lesemann are members of the Evangelical Church. Mr. Lesemann belongs to the Republican party. He is Director of the schools of his district, which office he has filled for six years. [Contributed by Carol Parrish from Portrait and Biographical Album of Stephenson County, Ill. (1888), p. 373]
John Lied has been in possession of his present comfortable homestead, on section 27, in Oneco Township, since the spring of 1885. This was formerly the old William Krope property, which was entered from the Government by Mr. Belknap many years ago, and which has been under a steady process of cultivation since that time. The buildings erected at an early date have since been remodeled and enlarge by our subject, and the whole premises form one of the most pleasant pictures in the landscape of Oneco Township. Mr. Lied is one of that class of citizens who inherited from their Pennsylvania ancestry the qualities which have served them so well in their efforts at building up homes in the wide West. His birth took place in Lancaster County, Feb. 27, 1837, and his father was Benjamin Lied, the son of William Lied, also a native of the Keystone State. The first representatives of this branch of the family emigrated from Germany to America in the Colonial days and located in Pennsylvania, in which State many of their descendants still reside. William Lied, the grandfather of our subject, followed the joint occupations of farming and weaving, and was the parent of one children only, his son, Benjamin. The latter was left fatherless when fourteen years of age, and being unusually bright and industrious at this early period, rented his mother's farm, and continued in that vicinity until eighteen years old. He had also learned the weaver's trade, which he followed in connection with farming until he was nearly fifty years old. In the meantime he had come into possession of the homestead by the death of his mother and had accumulated sufficient means to enable him to purchase a larger area of land than this contained and of which he was very desirous. He consequently sold the old homestead and purchased a large farm adjacent, to which he afterward gave his entire attention. Five years later he sold this also and determined to try his fortunes in the West. Coming to this county he purchased land in Buckeye Township, where he built up a comfortable homestead and where he still resides, being now seventy-five years of age.
Benjamin Lied, when eighteen years of age, was married to Miss Mary, daughter of John Fry, a thrifty farmer of Lancaster County, Pa. Of this union there were born six children. Our subject remained under the parental roof until after reaching his majority, and then commenced learning the carpenter's trade, at which he labored successfully some years. He was united in marriage, Jan. 3, 1860, with Miss Sarah, daughter of George and Ann Wittenmeyer, who was born in Union County, Pa., in 1841. Her father, also a native of the Keystone State, was a carpenter by trade, which he followed all his life and died at his comfortable home in Stephenson County about 1874. After their marriage Mr. and Mrs. Lied commenced life together on the farm of Mrs. Lied's father, which our subject rented three years, and then determined to join the caravan moving westward to the Prairie State. He sold out all his possessions in his native county, but in the meantime the Rebellion being in progress and there being an urgent call for troops, he laid aside his personal plans and interests and in October, 1864, enlisted in the 32d Illinois Infantry, in which he served until the close of the war. He met the enemy in various skirmishes and in the fight at Mission Ridge was taken prisoner, but was released by the advent of Sherman's and Kirkpatrick's army. The war, however, was nearing its close, and he was discharged with his comrades at Wilmington in the spring of 1865. After being mustered out he returned to Orangeville and resumed his trade as a carpenter, and for nine years thereafter was mostly employed in the vicinity of Freeport. He spent one year, however, at Orangeville, and then having accumulated a snug little sum of money, wisely invested it in fifty acres of land in Buckeye Township. He resided there engaged in farming nine years, and then selling out purchased his present homestead. Of this he took possession at once and has since been industriously engaged in cultivating the soil, and adding the improvements which have rendered it a valuable and attractive piece of property. Mr. and Mrs. Lied have but one child living, Edwin, born Sept. 24, 1875, and now a bright lad of twelve years, who shows remarkable mechanical skill. He has manufactured a locomotive and train of cars complete which would do credit to a skilled mechanic of mature age. The eldest son, Stanton, died when five months old. Our subject, like his father before him, is an active member of the Lutheran Church, and closely adheres to the principles advocated by the Republican party. [Contributed by Carol Parrish from Portrait and Biographical Album of Stephenson County, Ill. (1888), p. 664]
DR. WILLIAM LIVINGSTON
Doc Levingston of Freeport was John D. "Rocky's" Rockefeller Great-Grandfather
Late Dr. William Levingston, Father of John D. Rockefeller," read the banner headline in the Feb. 3, 1908, Freeport Evening Standard. Levingston had lived the last years of his life in a two-story brick house on what is now West Clark Street, amid little suspicion by Freeport townspeople that he was the father of one of the richest men of the time. With Levingston - Rockefeller's great-grandson nominated for the U. S. vice presidency, interest in the tale of his forebear has been renewed. Disclosures that Levingston was really William Rockefeller and had left his first wife and children in Ohio, began surfacing in the years just before and after Levingston's death. They were reported in Freeport's newspapers of the time and have been recalled since in the Journal Standard's columns. Now the Syracuse (N.Y. Herald-Journal), in a series on Rockefeller family background, has revived the story. Mrs. Mary Bowers Margeson of Syracuse, formerly of West Lincoln Boulevard here, sent to Judge and Mrs. Marvin Burt a copy of the Livingston-Rockefeller story, which is reprinted below. In Freeport, Ill., a few years ago, I was told the last chapter of one of the most intriguing of the Rockefeller family stories:
What happened to John D. Rockefeller's father, William. Freeport believes William Avery Rockefeller, once of Richford, Owego and Moravia, lived the last 34 years of his life as William Levingston, physician, in a modest brick house on (what was then called) Clark Avenue. Levingston died in the small northern Illinois city in May 1906 at the age of 96. The story goes that between 1855 and 1889, when Eliza Davison Rockefeller died in New York City, he lived a double life with a second wife. Records indicate that Levingston married Margaret Allen in Ontario, Canada, in 1855. Freeporters began to know Levingston in 1872; when he moved there and started a practice of botanic medicine. This was the period after the Rockefeller family had moved from New York State to Cleveland and, according to his son's biographers, the future billionaire's father was seen less and less in Ohio. We find descriptions of this roving nature, and its mystery, in Allan Nevins' biography of William's son: "He was still frequently absent from home on his mysterious trips. Evidence exists that for a time he advertised himself as Dr. William A. Rockefeller, the celebrated cancer specialist," selling cancer treatments. But for many years, without John D's national prominence, no one really noticed, particularly in Freeport in the town, he was a "noted character," known for his good humor, excellent marksmanship and the large diamond pin he always wore at his throat in place of a tie. In time of course, John D's celebrity reached Freeport and subtle questions began to be asked about the interesting old man on Clark Avenue.
With the help of my guide, Mrs. Frances Woodhouse of the local historical society, I was able to see how the story unfolded, and talk to a few Freeport residents who were there to watch it. This began in July 1905, when McClure's Magazine published the first installment of Ida M. Tarbell's "character sketches" of John D. Rockefeller. The profile followed her sensational "History of Standard Oil," 19 articles published in the magazine in 1892. The Rockefeller sketch of 1905 appeared with an oval photograph of the tycoon's father, William, who was described in the caption as a "good fellow, jolly, generous and kindly." William was said to be over 90 at the time and "living in Iowa." This information probably would have been lost on the few readers of McClure's in the river city of Freeport had it not been for the photograph of William Rockefeller, The picture, taken with Ida Tarbell's colorful description made a single point to them; John D's "lost parent" was in Freeport. He was the "doctor" on Clark Avenue, William Levingston. "It was the same man," druggist George F. Swartz told the Chicago Tribune: "cravatless, diamond in his shirt front, coarse language, boastful, well dressed - the typical quack doctor." The principle himself apparently was beyond public witness by 1905. Age and illness confined him to the house. He was described as deaf and nearly blind, so feeble that even his wife Margaret, couldn't communicate with him. (One recalls, at this point, the anecdotes of how William feigned deafness during his upstate New York years.) Mrs. Levingston said she knew nothing of her husband prior to their marriage. If he had an interesting past and a famous offspring, she said he never spoke of them.
Finally, William Levingston died May 11, 1906 in Freeport and was buried in a city cemetery under a headstone which carried that name. The birth date listed is the same as William Rockefeller's. His wife at Freeport died in 1910. When Eliza Davison Rockefeller, whom William married in Richford in 1837, died in 1889, at 76, she was described as the "widow of William Rockefeller" and buried in the family plot at Cleveland. Her husband according to ______ , was not present at the funeral. The Tarbell articles sparked interest outside of Freeport, too, In 1908, A. B. MacDonald, a reporter for the St. Louis Post Dispatch began an investigation which, in time, ended in a long investigative report in the Pulitzer newspapers. After trips through the East and Midwest and apparently exhaustive checks of documents, MacDonald reported that Dr. William Levingston and William A. Rockefeller were the same man. In Cleveland, Reaction to the report was disbelief.
After the Tarbell series, in 1906, Frank Rockefeller, John D.'s brother, told inquiring reporters "My father is alive" and "well cared for." But where? "That's none of the public's business," he said. This time in 1908, Frank called the story "an unqualified lie," intimating that William still was alive. During my own Freeport visit, I met and talked with Leslie T. Fargher, then 92, who remembered "Old Doctor Levingston" very well. As a young man, he worked in a Freeport jewelry store and recalled waiting on Levingston: "He was kind of a big, cantankerous sort of guy," Fargher told me. "He wore one of those old-fashioned shirts with just a neckband, no collar, and with a great big diamond stud in the middle of it." He recalled stories of secret visits John D. made to the house on Clark Avenue - in fact, he supposedly was there the night Levingston died - and of the Standard Oil checks the old man used to cash at local banks. In his own mind, Fargher had not doubts about the Levingston - Rockefeller connection. "There isn't anything about it that could be contradicted by anybody he said firmly. Although he omitted these stories from later versions of his Rockefeller study, Allan Nevins met them head-on in his biography of 1940. He called photographs published in 1908 - comparing a picture of Levingston found in Freeport with the family photograph of William "alleged" and said "there is no clear proof that he and Doctor Levingston were identical." Nevins explained that William's son and grandson, Frank and Percy, issued denials that William was dead in 1908 and when the Pulitzer article appeared, Frank explained he lived in "close retirement" to protect himself from cranks. The biographer said he had received information in the 1930's from Frank's daughter "indicating the old man died on his Dakota (Walsh County, North Dakota) ranch in the summer of 1909, when he was 100." But, Nevins added, "even this is uncertain and the mystery surrounding his last days is not likely to be pierced." Later, the historian, who died recently, admitted in private correspondence with a Freeport researcher that he had come to believe that Levingston was indeed William Rockefeller. This judgment was described to me recently by a Rockefeller family associate as "the best story going." [Contributed by Karen Fyock dated Dec. 7, 1864 clipping]
John Lobdell was born in the county of Will, in the State of Illinois, Feb. 10, 1837. His father, Joseph Lordell, was born in Herkimer County, N. Y., where the latter's father, who was a native of Connecticut, had settled many years before. During the Revolution, when the elder Lobdell was but thirteen years of age, he was made a prisoner by the British and Indians, and conveyed to the enemy's camp in Canada, and there kept a prisoner for a considerable time. After his release, he came to the United States, and settled in New York, where he married Elizabeth Andrews, also a native of Connecticut, and whose parents were pioneers in Herkimer County. The grandfather of our subject was a farmer by occupation. After his captivity and marriage he spent the remaining portion of his life in the eastern part of New York State. His son Joseph, who was the father of our subject, had arrived at the age of seventeen years, when his parents moved to Cayuga County and settled near Auburn. The lad acquired a good education for those days, when the facilities were so unfavorable, and for ten years afterward he taught school as a means of support for himself and family. He married, Jan. 6, 1828, Miss Olive Gallt. They resided in Cayuga County, until the fall of 1834, when loading all their worldly goods into a wagon to which they attached a pair of horses, they started for Illinois, a State which at that time was famous the world over as the place for the settler of moderate means. They made the entire trip overland in twenty-seven days, landing in Will County, where he found a vacant log cabin which afforded shelter to his family. He located a claim in July, 1835, and entered eighty acres of land whereon he erected a rude log hut, in which the family resided until 1837. In the month of July of that year Mr. Lobdell concluded to go still further West, in order to obtain more land. His destination at this time was what is now known as Waddams Township, Stephenson County, where, having located a claim he immediately began the erection of a cabin. He also harvested sufficient wild prairie grass to sustain his horses during the winter, and then returned to Will County and brought his family to their new home on the raw and uncultivated prairie; he afterward purchased from the Government 120 acres more. This new home was at that time far away from any settlement, in fact, at the time, there was but one house upon the site which now contains the prosperous city of Freeport, and that a log cabin. The nearest trading point was at the Galena Mines, and a trip to market required from three to four days; flour was then sold at Galena at $7 per hundred. Deer and wild turkey were plentiful. It was in this new home that the father of the subject of this sketch labored and improved, until the time of his death. John Lobdell was one of five children, who are as follows: Frances, widow of David Patterson, resides in Linn County, Iowa; Elizabeth, wife of Edwin Playford, resides in Kansas; John, the subject of this sketch; Ellen, the wife of Walter Ross, who lives in Iowa; Daniel, who served in the late rebellion, first enlisting in the 46th Illinois Infantry in 1861, and again in 1863. He died at Cairo in 1864, in August, while in the service of his country. Mrs. Lobdell, the mother of the children above enumerated, makes her home with her son John. She was born in Middlefield, Otsego Co., N. Y., Oct. 1, 1804, being the daughter of Matthew and Sally (Griggs) Gallt, natives of New York and Connecticut respectively. The maternal grandfather of Mrs. Lobdell was Samuel Griggs, who married Penelope Goodell. The grandfather was born in Connecticut, and was a soldier of the Revolution, participating in the battle of Bunker Hill. The grandmother was born in Massachusetts. After their marriage they became among the first settlers in New York State. The paternal grandparents of Mrs. Lobdell, and great-grandparents of the subject of this sketch, were William and Margaret (Harper) Gallt. The father taught the first school in this district. John Lobdell, of whom in particular we write, was but an infant when his parents came to this county. He has here grown from infancy to manhood, being reared on the farm, where he was taught that industry which has enabled him to become the successful farmer and citizen he is at present. At the age of fifteen his father died, which misfortune made it necessary for him, though a boy in years, to perform the duties of a man. He has done his work well, having added to the old homestead 180 acres of magnificent farming land, all purchased and paid for by his untiring energy and perseverance, which may well be emulated by any poor boy in the land. In politics, Mr. Lobdell is a Republican. On August 17, 1865, John Lobdell was married to Miss Annie Foreman. She was born in Herkimer County, N. Y., on the 4th of July, 1845. Her father, James Foreman, who was born in Lincolnshire, England, descended from a long line of ancestors. His father, John Foreman, came from England to Stephenson County in 1857, where he spent the latter part of his life. The father of Mrs. Lobdell arrived in America at the age of eighteen, where he married Mary A. Laferty, who came from Antrim, Ireland. He moved to Stephenson County in 1845, settling in Waddams Township. He removed in 1867 to Buchanan County, in the State of Iowa. They have but one child. [Contributed by Carol Parrish from Portrait and Biographical Album of Stephenson County, Ill. (1888), p. 305]
MAJ. FRANK LOHR
Maj. Frank Lohr, manufacturer of and dealer in light and heavy harness, trunks, valises, carriage trimmings and turf goods, is contributing his full quota to the business interests of Freeport, where he has been established since 1882. He possesses all the characteristics of his substantial German ancestry, is upright and reliable, and in all respect a desirable adjunct to the community. Maj. Lohr was born in the Kingdom of Prussia, Germany, Feb. 14, 1849. He is the son of Joseph and Sophia (Schmitz) Lohr, who were also of German birth and parentage, and who emigrated to America in 1850, when our subject was less than a year old. They landed in New York City and thence proceeded to Madison, Wis., where the father engaged in teaching and where young Frank grew to manhood. He attended the public schools until thirteen years of age, when he engaged in a wagon manufactory. This business not being suited to his inclination, he abandoned it, and at fifteen, began learning harness-making. After serving his apprenticeship, he was desirous of seeing something more of the Western country, and started out and visited many of the principal cities in the West, paying his expenses by working at his trade. He migrated to Freeport in 1874, where he was an employee until 1882, then entered into partnership with J. H. Rineke, and established his present business. Two years later he purchased the interest of his partner, and has since continued alone and won a profitable patronage. He has a large and well-selected stock of goods which occupy a building two stories in height and 20x80 feet in area. He employs six men and manufactures most of his goods to order. He is complete master of the trade and a neat and skillful workman, although the work of superintending his establishment occupies most of his time. Maj. Lohr has been quite prominent in city affairs since becoming a resident of Freeport, and served as Assistant Fire Marshal three years. Afterward he became a member of Co. C, 3d I. N. G., and May 29, 1882, was appointed First Lieutenant; in September following he was given a Captain's commission. As Captain he served three years and was elected. He was advanced to Major of the regiment Jan. 13, 1887. He is very active and strong physically, and was Captain of the running team of Hose Company N. 2, and of the Gymnastic Club. For five years the Major has been in charge of the Turner Society. He was married, June 11, 1876, to Charlotta Mueller, daughter of Christian Mueller. One child, a bright girl seven years of age, Etta by name, blessed the union. [Contributed by Carol Parrish from Portrait and Biographical Album of Stephenson County, Ill. (1888), p. 213]
Aaron Long, a valued member of the farming community of Silver Creek Township, has a fine estate on section 15, where he devotes his attention largely to stock-raising. His farm embraces 140 acres and has first-class improvements. He has been a resident of Stephenson County since May, 1849, coming here with his parents when a child four years of age, and with the exception of seven years spent in Freeport, in the Chicago Bakery, he has resided in Silver Creek Township ever since. Our subject first drew breath in Dauphin County, Pa., July 10, 1845. His father, Joseph Long, a native of the same county, descended from excellent Pennsylvania stock which had settled in that locality prior to the Revolutionary War. The paternal grandfather of our subject, Dr. Henry Long, was a fine representative of the old family and spent his entire life in the Keystone State. He was a physician of more than ordinary merit and built up a large and lucrative practice in Dauphin County and vicinity. His wife, formerly Miss Margaret Welch, survived him, and after his death came to this State, spending her last days at the home of Joseph Long, in Silver Creek Township. Her death occurred Jan. 10, 1854. Joseph Long was the youngest in a family of three children and was reared in his native county. There also he married Miss Mary A. Whitman, a native of the same county and of similar descent as himself. Five or six years after marriage they came to Illinois, making the journey overland with horse-teams and being five weeks on the road. The father of our subject purchased a small farm in Silver Creek Township which he occupied for a time and afterward sold, and purchased a larger tract on section 15, where he built up a good homestead and spent the remainder of his days, folding his hands for his final rest Sept. 21, 1874, when about fifty-six years of age. The mother survives and makes her home in Freeport. She is now about sixty-three years of age, and a lady greatly beloved by her family and friends. She, with her husband, in early life united with the German Reformed Church. Aaron Long, our subject, was the eldest of ten children born to his parents, four sons and six daughters. Two of the sons and two of the daughters are now deceased. Aaron received his education in Silver Creek Township and afterward took a course in the High School at Mt. Morris, Ogle County. Subsequently he engaged in teaching about three years, and remained a member of his father's household until his marriage. This most important event in his life and which had much to do in shaping his future career, was celebrated in Silver Creek Township, Jan. 1, 1871. The lady of his choice, Miss Frances Kuenneth, was a native of the Province of Bavaria in Germany, where she was born in 1846. Her parents, Adam and Catherine (Meisel) Kuenneth, were natives of Bavaria, whence they emigrated to the United States in July, 1862, and settled in this county. The father died in Freeport in about 1876, and the mother is still living there. The household circle of our subject and his wife was completed by the birth of seven children, all living and at home, namely: Aaron Edward, Ann E., Rosa C., Emma C., Lily C., Mildred F. and Luella May. Mr. and Mrs. Long were reared in the doctrines of the German Reformed Church, to which they still loyally adhere. Mr. Long has been quite prominent in local affairs, holding the various offices of the township, and is now Town Clerk and Treasurer of the School Board. Politically he votes the Democratic ticket. [Contributed by Carol Parrish from Portrait and Biographical Album of Stephenson County, Ill. (1888)]
Harvey Loomis, deceased, who became a resident of Stephenson County in 1840, conducted the first school taught at Waddam's Grove, and afterward became familiarly known among the people of this section as a citizen worthy of their esteem and confidence. He was a New Englander by birth and first opened his eyes to the light in Litchfield, Conn., April 29, 1816. When but a child his parents emigrated to Ohio, settling among the early pioneers of Geauga County, where our subject grew to manhood, assisting in the labors of the farm and making the most of his opportunities for securing an education. After a year's residence in this county he returned to Ohio and purchased a farm in Geauga County, which he occupied until 1852. He then sold out and, returning to this State, purchased land on section 27, in West Point Township, which he occupied a number of years, then rented and removed to a tract on section 35, the location of which suited him much better. Here he erected a set of frame buildings and brought about all the comforts and conveniences of a home, where he remained until his death, which occurred Nov. 18, 1880. The subject of our sketch was married, July 6, 1873, to Miss Antoinette Kelley, a native of Broome County, N. Y., and the daughter of Ephraim and Mary A. (Hayes) Kelley. Mr. Kelly came to this county in 1848, and located upon a farm in West Point Township, where his death took place in 1873. The mother had died in 1845, in New York State. The four children of Mr. and Mrs. Loomis were named respectively, Warren E., Susie R., Clarence H. and Henry Charles. They are all at home with their mother. Mrs. Loomis is the possessor in her own right of 272 acres of land, thirty acres of which lie in Kent Township. She is a lady of more than ordinary business capacity, and since the death of her husband is completing the education of her children and training them carefully for the duties and responsibilities of life. [Contributed by Carol Parrish - Portrait and Biographical Album of Stephenson County, Ill. (1888), p. 269]
GEORGE W. LOVELAND
George W. Loveland, Justice of the Peace at Ridott, and for many years prominent in the public affairs of this county, has been the incumbent of his present office for a period of twenty-six years. He came to this county in the spring of 1854, when a young man twenty-nine years of age, and since that time has been closely identified with the various interests which have served to build up its reputation as one of the most desirable sections of the State. He first located at what was known as Nevada, where he established a general store and traded in all kinds of merchandise, including grain and provisions. Three years later he turned his attention to other matters and became agent at this point for the Northwestern Railroad, and also officiated as Postmaster. The Northwestern Company, in 1860, removed their station and office to Ridott and gave Mr. Loveland a lot nearby, at the same time constituting him their agent at the new station, where he also became Postmaster. In 1864, he resigned the post-office, but continued with the company six years. Subsequently he established a livery stable and hotel and was, in 1862, elected Justice of the Peace, which office he has since held, and since 1884 has given to it his entire time and attention. Mr. Loveland, in 1869, wisely invested a portion of his surplus capital in a quarter section of land in Rock Run Township, and afterward purchased forty acres of timber in Ridott Township; of this he still retains possession, and also has city property in Freeport, besides his residence in Ridott. His early years were spent in Madison County, N. Y., where his birth took place at the country home of his parents, Dec. 31, 1825. His father, Joel Loveland, a native of Massachusetts, was of New England parentage and the son of George W. Loveland, Sr., a carpenter and joiner by trade who, later in life, engaged in farm pursuits and spent his last years in the Bay State. Joel, the father of our subject, subsequently removed with his widowed mother to Madison County, N. Y. The paternal grandmother of our subject was formerly Miss Mercy Webster. Her death took place in Madison County after she had passed her eightieth birthday. Joel Loveland also learned the trade of a carpenter and superintended the building of the Madison University, at Hamilton, N. Y., laying its foundations in 1836. The father of our subject was married in early manhood to Miss Hannah Brownell, and they commenced life together on a farm in Madison County, where they spent the remainder of their days. Neither lived to an advanced age, the mother dying before forty years of age and the father when forty-two. At the time of his father's death our subject was a youth of eighteen years and soon afterward commenced his more serious struggle with the world. He had been fairly educated and first employed himself at farming. He was married at Morrisville, Jan. 20, 1849, to Miss Lucy J. Watson, a native of Madison County, born and reared in Hamilton. Her birth took place Dec. 14, 1827. She came West with her husband and died at their home in Ridott Township, Jan. 9, 1882. She was a lady of the highest Christian character and the daughter of David Watson, who, with his estimable wife, spent the greater part of his life on a farm in Madison County, N. Y., where the decease of both occurred. The paternal grandfather of Mrs. Loveland served in the Revolutionary War, participating in many of its important battles. The wife of our subject at the time of her death was a member of the Universalist Church at Pecatonica. She had but two children, both sons: Clarence L. married Miss Charlotte Eddy, and is a passenger conductor on the Northwestern Railroad; he was born May 14, 1850, in Madison County, N. Y., and is at present a resident of Freeport. George R. also makes his headquarters in that city; he married Miss Lena Moyer, of Ridott, and represents the Robinson Buggy Works, throughout this and other States. Mr. Loveland is a solid Republican, politically, and has been Road Commissioner of Ridott Township for fifteen years. [Contributed by Karen Hammer from Portrait and Biographical Album of Stephenson County, Illinois Chicago: Chapman Brothers, 1888 p. 316]
WILLIAM W. LOWIS
Editor and proprietor of the Lena Star, as a practical and reliable journalist, occupies an enviable position among the newspaper publishers of Northern Illinois. His establishment is well furnished and equipped with improved machinery, constituting it one of the best job offices in Stephenson County, and capable of turning out tasteful and satisfactory work in a prompt and reliable manner. Under the present management the Star has become quite indispensable to the people of Stephenson County, as its steadily increasing circulation abundantly indicates. Mr. Lowis is an enterprising and liberal-minded citizen, a pleasant and genial companion socially, and a man who enjoys in a marked degree the confidence and esteem of his friends. Our subject is a native of Lincolnshire, England, and was born in the town of Spalding, Feb. 10, 1846. His father, John W. Lowis, was a native of the same county, where he grew to manhood, married and remained until 1850. In the spring of that year, accompanied by his wife and eight children, he emigrated to America, and at once proceeded westward, locating in Janesville, Wis., and engaged in the grocery trade. Two years later he came to Freeport, and became a clerk in the office of the County Recorder, which position he occupied for a period of twelve years. Afterward he took charge of the grocery store of John Long, being thus employed two or three years. Then returning to Janesville he opened a private boarding-house, which he conducted until 1872, when his health began to fail, and he repaired to the home of his daughter in Escanaba, Mich., where his death took place the following spring. The mother of our subject, also a native of England, was in her girlhood Miss Annie Bond. She was born in Lincolnshire, came to the United States with her husband and family, and died in Janesville in 1850, a few months after their arrival at that place. Of the thirteen children included in the parental family seven grew to mature years. William W. was but five years of age when he crossed the Atlantic, and after completing his education at Freeport, at the age of eighteen entered the office of the Freeport Bulletin to learn the printer's trade. He made such good progress that he became foreman of the printing department before his apprenticeship ended, and continued there twelve years. Afterward he was connected with the Lanark Gazette for two years, until March, 1878, when he disposed of his interests there, and coming to Lena purchased the Star office. The paper, as now conducted, is independent in politics and meets all the requirements of a first-class weekly journal. Mr. Lowis, on the 6th of January, 1870, was united in marriage with Mary J., daughter of George and Margaret Newcomer, of Pennsylvania. The one child born of this union, a son, Orestes Walker, died when four years of age. Our subject and his wife have a pleasant home on Oak street, and number among their friends and associates the cultivated and intelligent people of Lena. Mr. Lowis is a member of the Illinois Press Association, of which he was Vice President in 1886. For the past three years he has been Secretary of the Stephenson County Soldiers' and Sailors' Reunion. To the repeated calls upon his time in contributing to the pleasure and welfare of his fellow-citizens he is ever ready to make a cheerful and liberal response. During the progress of the late war Mr. Lowis, in May, 1864, enlisted in the 40th Wisconsin Infantry, and served six months; he was detailed principally to guard duty along the railroad running from Memphis to Holly Springs, being near the former city at the time of the raid of Gen. Forrest. At the expiration of his term of enlistment, which was near the close of the war, he received an honorable discharge and returned home. Upon the organization of the G.A.R. he identified himself with the order, and is now a member of William R. Goddard Post No. 258. In religious matters he inclines to the Episcopalian faith. [Contributed by Carol Parrish from Portrait and Biographical Album of Stephenson County, Ill. (1888), p. 636]
BACK - HOME
© Genealogy Trails