Genealogy and History
Part of the Genealogy Trails History Group
Henry Aspinwall has tendered his resignation to the Board of Town Auditors as Commissioner of Highways. No successor has as yet been appointed. [23 April 1879, Freeport Weekly Journal, contributed by Karen Hammer]
Cedarville: The election for village officers resulted as follows: John F. Best, Pres.; P. D. Bennethum, Joseph Fox and Charles E. Ferber, Trustees, and N. W. Horlacher, Clerk.... [Unknown newspaper, April 25, 1888]
Cedarville: J. Weber Adams was elected director without opposition... [Unknown newspaper, April 25, 1888]
For the first time your correspondent heads his letter Bolton. This is a new town on the C. St. P. & K. C. railway. Already the town has commenced to improve, and streets are being brought up to grade and filled with crushed rock sand. Come to Bolton for a pleasant drive. [Unknown newspaper, 6 September 1888]
Wysox Township Officers
December 28, 1893
Supervisor - M. W. Saylor
clerk - Henry W. Welty
Assesser - A. M. Fike
Collector - S. H. Eastabrooks
Highway Commissioners - George Smith, S. W. Peugh, H. Heath
Justice of the Peace - Jos. Lawton, D. L. Maxwell
Constables - E. C. Herrington, Stephen Smith, G. Crawford
Township School Trustees: F. A. Snell -- M. A. Wood -- Henry Livengood
Treasurer - D. C. Busell
Board of Health of Wysox: M. W. Saylor, A. M. Fike, Henry W. Welty
President of Village Board - A. T. Cowan
Clerk - C. A. Beebe
Village Treasurer - T. O. Wolfe
Trustees - Samuel Isely, T. H. Knapp, S. D. Manning, C. Ackerman, J. D. Sigfrid, Stephen Smith
Board of Health of Milledgeville: J. F. Greenawalt, Pres.; Dr. O. J. Aurand; Dr. Robert McPherson; Dr. W. A. Gray, Advisory Member
Marshal - Lemuel Wine
Street Commissioner - James Gunder
Pound Master - James Gunder
Milledgeville P. M. - H. C. McCray
[Contributed by Karen Fyock - c. Dec 1893]
John Moses and Oscar Fink are candidates for collector. [Unknown newspaper, 1 March 1899 - contributed by Karen Fyock]
Thomas Hutmacher for Postmaster - Sciota Mills Residents Petition For His Appointment
The first assistant postmaster general has notified Congressman Lowden of a vacancy in the postmastership at Sciota Mills, this county, the present postmaster, Mr. Edwin B. Lund, having resigned, and requests that Mr. Lowden make a recommendation to fill this vacancy. The patrons of the office had filed a petition with the department, favoring Mr. Thomas Hutmacher for the place, and in accordance with their wishes Mr. Lowden has recommended Mr. Hutmacher for postmaster at Sciota Mills, Mr. Hutmacher will receive his commission within a few days. [Contributed by Karen Fyock February 1, 1907 clipping]
The Chamber of Commerce held a meeting at the restaurant of Fenton Hybarger Friday evening, and, after a supper had been served, John Markman, superintendent of the Illinois Central Washing plant address the meeting..... [Wednesday, March 7, 1928; Daily Register Gazette (Rockford, IL) Page: 5]
Early Days of Freeport
By J.J. Earle
Interesting reminiscences of the early days of Freeport were given the Rotary club today by J. J. Earle of Fayette, Iowa, who was the first white child born in the original town of Freeport and who is here to attend the Lincoln-Douglas celebration tomorrow. Mr. Earle brought with him an account book owned by his father and containing records of transactions during the period 1837-1843 in Freeport where the elder Earl was engaged as a furniture maker. Among the accounts particularly of interest to many was a charge for making a cupboard of cherry wood for the grandfather of R. J. Stewart of this city and the cupboard is still in the possession of the Stewart family.
Richard Earle came to Freeport in 1837 and brought with him the first circular saw ever brought into Illinois. He lived here until 1843 when he moved to a farm about ten miles east of Freeport where he conducted a furniture factory. All winter he made furniture and in the summer time hauled it to Chicago where he sold it and took orders for work to be delivered the following year. In 1843 he built the mill wheel for the mill known as Brown's mill, east of Freeport. He built the first store building in Freeport at the corner of Van Buren and Stephenson streets in 1849 for a Mr. Hyde and also the first three story building for O. H. Wright. Among the names appearing in the account book, many of which will be known to Freeporters are William Kirkpatrick, Ambrose Towar, John Byyens, O. H. Wright, who died in 1854, Thos. Hathaway, Wm. Wyatt, William Brown, William Baker, Michael Welch, John A. Clark, Wm. Howe, who conducted a hotel, Levi Webb, a blacksmith, Chas. Hall, L. W. Guiteau, Stephen Young, T. __ Turner, who contracted to build Freeport's first court house but failed to finish the job and it was completed by Mr. Earle. The cost of building the first court house was $1,005.00. Other names are Robert Smith, Horace Barber, Levi Wilcoxen and James Stewart, the later the grandfather of R. J. Stewart. An interesting thing in connection with the old accounts is the fact that they were not paid in cash as a rule but through the exchange of merchandise of labor. Many charges appear for the making of nails as they were wrought in those days and cost 12 1/2 cents per pound. Bedsteads of black walnut were manufactured by Mr. Earle for $6 and shingles were cut for $5 per thousand. The speaker presented in the Rotary club a gavel, the head of which he made from woods of various kinds and from various sources, the first letter of each of the varieties of wood spelling the word "Rotary". In addition the woods he selected for the handle stand for "Freeport, Stephenson county, Illinois." The woods are Rosewood from Brazil, Oak from Texas, Teak from India, Apple from Iowa, Red gum from Louisiana, Yew from Oregon, Camphor from Florida, Locust from Iowa, Umbrella from India and Beach from Iowa. The handle is made of Fig, Springa, Cedar and Ironwood. Mr. Earle, who is 91 years of age was born on the site where the Emmert drug store is now located and is a man of unusually keen memory and rugged health for one of his years. He told many incidents of his early life in Freeport, the names appearing in the record book reminding him of humorous incidents of his boyhood. At the conclusion of his address an honorary membership in Rotary was bestowed upon him by the club. He has already been honored with a life membership in the order of Elks and will, before he leaves Freeport, present to Freeport Lodge No. 617 a favel made of four kinds of wood emblematic of the four letters, B.P.O.E. Many visitors were present at the meeting to hear Mr. Earle among them being Dr. John wesley Hill, Mayor George Edler, O. T. Smith, a former resident of Freeport, Dr. Frank Lynch of Denver, Mrssrs. Charles Demeter and M. G. Schaub of the Freeport park board, Charles Waddams of Fargo, N. D. and Dr. Charles Zipf and Judge A. J. Clarity of Freeport. Club announcements regarding the noon meals for the month of September, and details of the Rotary stag party on September 4, were made by members of the committees. [Unknown newspaper; August 26, 1929; Contributed by Karen Fyock]
Formal Opening At Lost Lake Is Attended by 1,500
Baseball games, fishing and boating enjoyed by pleasure seekers.
Two baseball games, fishing, boating, and other forms of sport provided entertainment yesterday on the occasion of the formal opening of the summer season at Lost Lake, a newly constructed summer resort located on the Robert Lincoln farm near Dakota. Upwards of 1,500 persons from Freeport and many surrounding towns assembled on the 74-acre tract of land where may devices have been provided for the entertainment of pleasure seekers during the summer season. The principal features on the opening day's program were two baseball games one between the H. & M. Thoroughbreds and Dakota, won by the H. & M. team by a score of 14 to 8, and the second game between the H. & M. team and Buck's Colts, won by the former, 11 to 6. Many families took advantage of the facilities at the new resort and came prepared to enjoy their picnic dinners. Fishing and boating provided diversion for many while the baseball games provided the feature attraction of the day. Several strings of fish, were caught by sportsmen who enjoyed the sport of fishing in the new lake constructed during the summer and fall season of 1933. The lake, names "Lost Lake" by those who were active in its construction, covers an area of about five acres and is ten to fifteen feet in depth. The new resort is the only one of its kind in northern Illinois and provides many attractions for the enjoyment of summer pleasures such as those which are to be found in the lake region of Wisconsin The season promises to be one of special interest and the sponsors of the resort feel that many people residing in this section will take advantage of its facilities. The resort was constructed through the efforts of a group of Freeport young men headed by Clifford R. Mellin and farmers residing in the vicinity of the lake resort, including, Tex Peck, Robert Niblo, Amos Phillips, Peter Lincoln, Thomas Lincoln, Benjamin Holsinger, H. J. McGilfrey, Arthur Laible, H. C. Beidler and others. [Contributed by Karen Fyock - May 1934 clipping]
Stephenson County Farm Bureau
After months of planning at night meetings of committees, consultation with architects and study of blue prints, the new home of the Stephenson county farm bureau is so near completion that the office has been moved from the old location on North State avenue to the new building 117 South Walnut avenue. Farm Adviser V.J. Banter had the usual surprise and a great accumulation of belongings such as is found when the same location has been occupied by an organization for so long a period and the time comes to move. There was, of course, no cook stove pipe that had to be set up before dinner, as has always been the case on moving day, on the farm, but it will take some time before all of the boxes of records and bulletins are rearranged in systematic order. Visitors are very complimentary and those from out of the state recognize Stephenson county as a front line county in its set-up and service agencies. In the inside entrance stairways on each side lead to a hall on the second floor large enough to seat about 350 persons. Entering the building, one finds the location of all the departments and secretaries. Farm women will find rest rooms here and a place to meet and chat until the family has finished its business affairs in the city. In the rear of the building there is much-needed space, lack of which has cramped the activities of the service departments at the former office. In a part of the large basement is located the locker service. This is a very busy department at present. More than a hundred farmers have been cared for in storing meat supplies for summer use. The building committee whose members have worked faithfully during the winter on construction plans in co-operation with the executive committee of the county farm bureau, includes William Hummermeier, of Loran township, George Diddens of Silver Creek, and Vernon Heck, of Buckeye. The cold storage service is incorporated as the Stephenson Locker company, whose officers are: Albert Scheffner, Silver Creek, President; E.S. Hummermeier, Erin, vice president; Wesley Schaper, Lancaster secretary: Irvin Uhe, West Point, and William Heithecker, Dakota, directors. It is a stock company, affiliated with the farm bureau. To all these directors and committees the membership owes a great deal of appreciation. Adviser Banter said, for the many trips they have made to attend committee meetings, hours spent at such committee meetings and the advice and counsel they have given throughout the rebuilding program, without receiving financial compensation. [Freeport Journal 05 May 1938]
Pearl City: The first meeting of the Pearl Valley Rangers were held Monday night with an attendance of 32. Officers elected were: President, Jay Mitchell; vice president, Alden Kempel; Secretary - Aleen Flack; treasurer, Ruth Kempel; reporter, Marian Kempel. G.R. Brown explained the responsibilities and benefits club member could expect from project work. Club meetings will be held the first Monday of every month [Freeport Journal-Standard, 21 January 1939]
Hillcrest airport, located east of Freeport, has served as a training school for no less than 35 pilots or aeronautical experts now active in commercial or military aviation. This has been done without support or subsidy of any kind from without the group, such as has been enjoyed by airports at near by cities. Whether the activity at Hillcrest must be adjourned for a time is still undetermined. The war is imposing drastic restrictions. The Civil Aeronautics Authority now permits flying only from designated airports. A forced or off port landing must be reported immediately by telephone and then investigated. For cross country flights, a pilot is given a clearance and registers at his designation. Every departing pilot, shop and piece of baggage is examined for explosives, cameras or similar contraband that might be used in espionage. Designated ports must be kept clean of snow, cattle and all obstructions, and must have a 24 hour guard. The clearance officers must be on duty during daylight hours or flying hours. Thus, far, the men connected with Hillcrest have been able to meet the stipulations by self-help and giving many additional hours of their own time Even if they are able to continue giving this amount of time and effort, further restrictions on private airports might drive the air corps reserve militia planes to other fields, designated by the CAA unless relief can be obtained. The following pilots, instructors or aeronautical experts were either trained or in some manner assisted by the Hillcrest organization:
James R. Dillon - Royal Canadian air force defending London.
Wesley Brubaker - Senior CAA Inspector, Houston, Texas
Matti Taino - Pan American Trans Atlantic, Bomber Ferry in Africa
Gene Neudeck - Pilot engineer, aero products, propeller division of General Motors, Dayton, Ohio
Reserve Captain Don Shafer - Northwest Airways, Minneapolis
1st Officer Harley Brubaker - TWA Air Lines, Kansas City, Mo.
1st Officer Stiles Whipple - United Air Lines, Chicago.
1st Officer William Whipple - United Air Lines, Portland,
1st Officer P. L. Wallace - United Air Lines, Oakland
Captain F. L. Wallace - United Air Lines, Chicago.
Gus Daskalakis - Marine corps pilot, Pensacola, Fla.
Robert McGregor - Naval flight instructor, Pensacola, Fla.
Henry Stocking - Naval flight instructor, Corpus Christi, Texas.
Jack Rhodes - Basic army instructor, Augusta, Ga.
Robert Seitz - Primary British cadet instructor, Tuscaloosa, Ala.
Ray Griffin - Primary army instructor, Coleman, Texas.
John Cross - Primary army instructor, Coleman, Texas.
Richard Lehman - Primary army instructor, San Diego, Calif.
James Morris, Jr. - Primary army instructor, Albany, Ga.
Maryalice L'Hommedieu - Ground and flight instructress, Ontario, Calif.
Lieut. Ken Lawver - Patterson Field, Dayton, Ohio.
Lieut. William Ruark - Jackson, Miss.
U. S. Army Air Corps - Hickam Field, Hawaii:
Lieut. Bob Crowell
Lieut. William Healy
Richard Boyer - Aero Mechanic
Lieut. Feely is also based there but was never connected with Hillcrest
U. S. Army Pilot Mechanics:
Wayne Herman - U. S. army
Lowell Seuring - U. S. army
Walter Ascher - U. S. army
Don Shockey - U. S. army
Jimmy L'Hommedieu - Primary Training base, Ontario, Calif.
Freeport CPTP Cadets Going Through to Instructor's Ratings:
Jack Wallace - at Cedar Rapids
Paul Hill - at Madison
Carl Milligan - at Madison
Donald McClanathan - at Lafayette
[Unknown newspaper, January 12, 1942 - Contributed by Karen Fyock]
The 109 Year Old Stephenson County Courthouse - It's Doomed
Courthouse Freeport IL
Workmen began stripping the interior of the 109 year old Stephenson County Courthouse here Tuesday after a judge ruled that demolition of the three-story stone building should proceed. The Freeport Landmark Assn. which has been trying to save the building for several months, filed suit last week against the Stephenson county Public Building Commission, owner of the building, and the contractor hired to tear it down. Circuit court judge John Lang of Rockford, Monday denied the injunction sought by the association which wanted to put the issue on a special election ballot. Workers immediately removed the cornerstone as a wrecking crane waited alongside the building which has been declared a landmark by the U.S. National Register of Historic Places.
Paul Sprague, director of the Illinois Historical Structure Survey, described the structure as "a rare example of French Second Empire architecture." The Philadelphia City Hall was built in the same style. But county authorities maintained the building was inadequate. A new courthouse is planned on the site. [Special to the Sun Times - Chicago IL April 17, 1974; Contributed by Jean Levan]
BACK - HOME
© Genealogy Trails