Finding Ancestors wherever their trails led with Genealogy Trails History Group

Warren County Illinois
Genealogy and History

County History


WARREN COUNTY - A western county, created by act of the Legislature, in 1825, but not fully organized until 1830, having at that time about 350 inhabitants; has an area of 540 square miles, and was named for Gen. Joseph Warren. It is drained by the Henderson River and its affluents, and is traversed by the Chicago, Burlington & Quincy (two divisions), the Iowa Central and the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railroads. Bituminous coal is mined and lime stone is quarried in large quantities. The county's early development was retarded in consequence of having become the "seat of war," during the Black Hawk War. The principal products are grain and live-stock, although manufacturing is carried on to some extent. The county-seat and chief city is Monmouth. Roseville is a shipping point. Population (1880), 22,933. (1890), 21,281; (1900), 23,163. "Historical Encyclopedia of Illinois" 1901

MONMOUTH - the county-seat of Warren County, 26 miles east of the Mississippi River; at point of intersection of two lines of the Chicago, Burlington & Quincy and the Iowa Central Railways. The Santa Fe enters Monmouth on the Iowa Central lines. The surrounding country is agricultural and coal yielding. The city has manufactories of agricultural implements, sewer-pipe, pottery, paving brick, and cigars. Monmouth College (United Presbyterian) was chartered in 1857, and the library of this institution, with that of Warren County (also located at Monmouth) aggregates 30,000 volumes. There are three national banks, two daily, three weekly and two other periodical publications. An appropriation was made by the Fifty-fifth Congress for the erection of a Government building at Monmouth. Population (1890), 5,936; (1900), 7,460. "Historical Encyclopedia of Illinois" 1901

MONMOUTH COLLEGE - an educational institution, controlled by the United Presbyterian denomination, but non-sectarian; located at Monmouth. It was founded in 1856, its first class graduating in 1858. Its Presidents have been Drs. D. A. Wallace (1856-78) and J. B. McMichael, the latter occupying the position from 1878 until 1897. In 1896 the faculty consisted of fifteen instructors and the number of students was 289. The college campus covers ten acres, tastefully laid out. The institution confers four degrees A. B. B. S., M. B., and B. L. For the conferring of the first three, four years' study is required; for the degree of B. L., three years. "Historical Encyclopedia of Illinois" 1901



BACK -- HOME
Genealogy Trails History Group
Copyright ©Genealogy Trails