JOHN F. DICKENSON
John F. Dickinson, of the firm of Dickinson & James, dealers in general hardware, agricultural implements, farm machinery, etc., at Erie, is a son of Chauncey B. and Clarissa (Ingles) Dickinson, and was born in Auburn, N. Y., Nov. 26, 1828. His father was a stone mason and dock builder on the Erie Canal, in New York, for a number of years. The parents were natives of New England, and the father died in Lockport, N. Y., in 1880, and the mother in Forestville, same State, in 1878. The issue of their union was seven children. Their record is as fellows : Orlando E. enlisted in the late Civil War, was in the artillery service on the Potomac, was wounded and returned home to Lockport, where he died. Edward S. enlisted in the 13th III. Vol. Inf., was flag-bearer, then promoted First Lieutenant, and again as Government Inspector with rank as Major. Russell I. is a retired farmer, residing at Prophetstown, this county. Eliza A. is the widow of Daniel W. Parsons, formerly a farmer and merchant. Augustus enlisted in the 13th III. Vol. Inf., was promoted, discharged, re-enlisted and has never since been heard from, and is undoubtedly sleeping his last sleep in an unknown soldier's grave. John D., subject of this sketch, is next in order of birth. Louisa is the wife of Orland Elmore, a farmer in Chautauqua Co., N. Y. In 1843, when 15 years of age, Mr. Dickinson came to Lawrence Co., III., and engaged in farming. He soon afterward went to Cincinnati, Ohio, and engaged in clerking, which he followed for two years and then went to Forestville, where he learned the harness trade, which he followed in connection with railroading several years. In the spring of 1860, Mr. Dickinson came to Erie, this county, and opened a harness-shop, which he conducted till 1875 and then sold. In the spring of 1880 he opened a hardware store at Erie, and in August of that year formed a partnership with R. T. James in the same business, the firm becoming Dickinson & James, and which relation exists at the present writing. They carry a well selected stock of goods adapted to the wants of their customers, own their building and warehouse and are doing a good business. Mr. D. owns his residence and five lots in the village.
Mr. Dickinson was married Nov. 26, 1848, to Miss Helen Ferguson. She was born Sept. 18, 1830, in Oneida Co., N. Y., and has borne him five children,— Orlando P. D., born Sept. 8, 1849; Harriet A., Nov. 1, 1851 ; Raymond F., born Jan. 10, 1855, died March 14, 1858; William W., born Oct. 8, 1858; and Samuel B., Dec. 27, 1862.
Mrs. Dickinson died in Erie, June 22, 1866, and Mr. D. was again married, in Forestville, Chautauqua Co., N. Y., Jan. 30, 1867, to Miss Emma J. Cranston. She was born in Forestville, Nov. 22, 1835, and is the mother of one child, Martha W., born Oct. 29, 1868.
Mr. Dickinson, politically, is a Democrat He has been Chairman of the Township Democratic Committee 25 years, and is also a member of the Democratic County Committee. Socially, he is a member of the Masonic Order and was one of the charter members of Erie Lodge, No. 667, also charter member of Portland Odd Fellows Lodge and Eastern Star Lodge of Evangeline Chapter, No. 53, and of the latter is a Past Grand Patron. He is also one of the Pilgrim Knights of the Palm and Shell Order of Jerusalem. Religiously, he is a member of the Baptist Church. [Transcribed by Marji Turner from Portraits & Biographical 1885, Pg 404]
John Dickinson, a farm on section 8, Jordan Township, was born in England, Jan. 9, 1841. His parents emigrated with their family to the United States when he was a child, and made a settlement in Rush, Monroe Co., H.Y. His father, Thomas Dickinison, died when he was five years of age, and he was afterwards cared for by John P. Furry (whose sketch is given on another page), by whom he was brought up, and with whom he lived through his minority. He was married Dec. 22, 1869, to Diana Pierce. She was born Dec. 22, 1844 in East Mendon, Monroe Co., N.Y. She was two years of age when her parents came to Illinois and lived with them in Jordan Township until she was married. She died Nov. 13, 1883, at her home in Jordan Township. Mr. Dickinson entered into a second matrimonial alliance March 24, 1885 with Alma I. Gordon. Her parents, James W. and Mary A. (Orr) Gordon, were respectively of Scotch, English and French descent, and were born in the province of Ontario Canada. Their daughter was born March 14, 1856 in Durham Co., Ont. Her parents came when she was about 14 years of age to Sterling IL. She and a younger sister went back to Canada, where she was mostly educated, and afterwards moved to Vinton, Iowa. The parents reside at the latter place. Mr. Dickinson earnestly indorses the views of the party known as Anti-monopolists. He is at present a School Director. In the spring of 1863 he made a purchase of 40 acres of land on Section 8, Jordan Township. It had been somewhat improved, and Mr. Dickinson added 20 acres of his estate by a later purchase. His farm is all under tillage, with necessary farm building. [Portraits and Biographical, 1895]
Of Rock Falls
John Dickson, watchman for the Keystone Manufacturing Company of Rock Falls was born Dec. 31, 1830 in Scotland. He was the second child of William and Ellen (Tunna) Dickson also natives of Scotland and members of the agricultural class, who died in their native land. Mr. Dickson remained at his parental home until he was 26 years of age, receiving a common school education and assisting on the farm. In 1855 he emigrated to America, landing at NY, taking a steamer up the Hudson to Albany and going out to Sharon Springs, where he worked nine months in a hotel. He then came to Sterling and worked a year in a hotel; next he was employed a mile west of that place until the spring of 1859 when he went to Pike's Peak where he was successful in gold-mining. In 1861 he returned to Sterling and went on to England where he visited from August to November and married Anna Campbell, a native of Scotland. Coming again to this country, he commenced keeping house a mile west of Sterling and lived in that neighborhood five and a half years. The last six months of this time he was engaged at work on the second bridge at that point, below the dam. Since 1863 he has been in the employment of the Keystone Mfg. Co. His first purchase in the county was a lot in Sterling, and the second was a lot of A.P. Smith at Rock Falls, for which he paid $100, and on which he built a residence. After residing there a short time he made a trade with Mr. Smith for another lot and moved his house upon it. Since then he has bought another lot, adjoining, for which he paid $350. In 1884 he purchased a house and lot joining north of him, paying for it $900.
Politically, Mr. Dickson is a Democrat, casting his first vote for Stephen A. Douglas, after taking out his naturalization papers. He is a member of the Board of Alderman of Rock Falls, is a member and treasurer of the Keystone Fire Company, treasurer of the Keystone Aid and Relief Society, a member of the Masonic fraternity, and of the Presbyterian Society of Sterling, to which latter body his wife also belongs. They have four children - E. Ella, Anna L., William G., and John A. [Portraits & Biographical Whiteside Co 1885 Pg 226]
George Diehl, general farmer on section 8, Clyde Township, was born Jan. 21, 1840, in Franklin Co., Pa. Samuel Diehl, his father, was born in the same State, and was of German descent and parentage. He was born in 1800 and died in Pennsylvania in September,1883. The mother of Mr. Diehl, whose maiden name was Elnora Cook, and was also a native of Franklin County, was of Irish ancestry and died on the family homestead in January, 1843, The family included seven children, -- three sons and four daughters,-- who are all living. Mr. Diehl was two years of age when his mother died. His father was soon after married again, and he remained at home until he was 18 years of age, obtaining a common-school education., He then began an independent life aw a farm laborer and was employed at various points until he was married and settled in life.
He was united in marriage to Susannah Zook, Nov. 21, 1861, in Greene Township, Franklin Co., Pa. She was born there Feb. 19, 1844, and is the sister of Abraham Zook, of whom a sketch appears on other pages of this ALBUM. She is the child of her father’s second marriage. To Mr. and Mrs. Diehl five children have been born: Mahala married Charles Etter, Dec. 25, 1879, and they reside in the township of Hopkins, and have three children, -- Cora M., Elmer C. and Mabel E. Jacob, Katie A., Elnora and Oliver are living at home. The family removed from Pennsylvania to Illinois in the fall of 1864, and they located on the farm of which they have since been the occupants. It contained 120 acres of land and at the date of purchase was partly improved. With the exception of about ten years this has been their residence, and the place is under complete improvements. A further purchase of 80 acres ahs been made, and the farm is in excellent agricultural condition. The proprietor is engaged to some extent in dealing in live stock. Mr. Diehl is a Democrat and has held various offices. The entire family are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church.[Transcribed by Marji Turner from Portraits & Biographical 1885 Pg 702]
Henry Diehl, formerly a farmer on section 13, Hopkins Township, now residing in retirement at Empire in the same township, was born Oct. 12, 1805, in Lancaster Co., Pa. His parents, Samuel and Barbara (Bitner) Diehl, wer also natives of the same State and had 12 children. Mr. Diehl of this sketch remained in his native State, pursuing the vocation of a farmer, until 1865, when he came to Illinois. He first made a location in Carroll County, spending but one year there In 1866 he came to Whiteside County and bought a farm on sections 19 and 30 in Hopkins Township. He fixed his residence on the section last named, where he continued to live until 1871. In that year he purchased a house at Empire and has since been retired from active business life. His property in Hopkins Township includes 137 acres of land. Mr. Diehl was married in Franklin Co., Pa., Jan. 13, 1829, to Margaret, daughter of John and Barbara (Leep) Myers, and she is the oldest of a family of three children. She was born Aug. 27, 1868,. To her and her husband ten children have been born, in the following order: Catherine, Elizabeth, Daniel, Lewis, Malachi, Adam, Mary, Jacob, Peter S. and Margaret C. The parents are members of the English Lutheran Church. [Transcribed by Marji Turner - Portraits & Biographical Pg 370]
JOHN G. DIETERLE
John G. Dieterle, farmer and s tock-grower on section 8, Jordan Township, was born April 29, 1833, in Wurtemberg, Germany. His father, Martin Dieterle, died in Germany, when he was 63 years of age. His mother died in 1841. In 1855, he came to this country, and at once to Sterling, Ill., and entered the employment of Colonel R. L. Wilson, and remained in his service 14 months. He went next to Rockford, and was employed by E. R. Hinkley as a common laborer, and continued to labor in his interest two years. He spent the succeeding two years at Rochelle, and a year and a half afterward worked on a farm in Jordan Township. He then rented a farm one year. He was married at Rochelle, to Kate Dougherty, a native of Ireland. Her parents removed with their family to the Province of Ontario, Canada, where she was reared and educated. Her parents died in the Dominion. Four children were born of her marriage to Mr. Dieterle: Fanny F. was born March 13, 1865; Mary C., May 9, 1868; William E., Aug. 23, 1869; and one died in infancy. The mother died April 4, 1871. She was a consistent member of the Lutheran Church. Mr. Dieterle formed a second marriage with Lydia A. Jacob, Sept. 14, 1875. She was born Jan. 3, 1843, near the city of Baltimore, Md. Her father, John A. Jacob, was a mechanic in the State of Maryland, but came West and located on a farm in the Township of Jordan, where he was one of the leading farmers in Whiteside County, and on of the most prominent agriculturists and growers of stock in the township. He died Sept. 19, 1882. Catherine (Story) Jacob, the mother of Mrs. Dieterle, was born in Maryland, of German parentage. She is yet living on the homestead, where the family settled when the daughter was nine years of age. The latter has been the mother of four children: One, John A., is deceased; he died when seven days old; Lydia C. was born Sept. 20, 1876; Martha J., Sept. 19, 1879; John G., Sept. 11, 1882; the deceased child was second in order of birth, and was born Aug. 23, 1878.
Mr. Dieterle bought, in 1864, 80 acres of land on section 18, of the railroad company, which was all in a wild state. He put it under tillage, after which he sold it, and bought 80 acres on section 8, which was partially improved. On this he has wrought with success, and has added to his estate until he is now the owner of 240 acres of land, in good farming condition. His wife owns 160 acres of land in the State of Iowa. They and three of the children are members of the Lutheran Church, in which the father was an Elder three years. He is actively interested in educational matters. [Contributed by Marji Turner Pg. 781, Whiteside County History 1880]
Elsworth Dill, furniture dealer and upholsterer, Sterling, was born at Hamden, Vinton Co., Ohio, June 22, 1847, and is a son of Benjamin and Armada (Catlin) Dill, natives of Ohio. The senior Mr. Dill, who was engaged in a stove manufactory and in a tannery, sold out in 1864 and came to Coleta, this county, engaging in farming and stock-raising. Three months afterward Elsworth came West, stopping with his father six or eight months, when arriving at the age of legal freedom, he struck out in the world for himself. He commenced to work for Galt & Tracy before the fire, continuing only tow months; then for six months he followed the butchering business with his father; next, he was an employee in the Boyington Hotel at Sterling for ten months; then a clerk in the Wallace Hotel three months; after three months out of employment, was clerk at the Boyington again, four months; followed farming one season in Nebraska, but a hail-storm nearly ruined his crop; returning to Sterling, he engaged again as clerk at the Boytington Hotel for a year; put in and attended another crop in Nebraska, this time with success; returned to Sterling an for three months was engaged in the coal business; sold out and for a time worked for Mr. Seely in his restaurant, and then went with him into the Wallace Hotel and clerked for two years; employed for six months, most of the time as superintendent, by the Sterling Gas Company; clerked again at the Wallace Hotel until the Galt House was opened, where he was chief clerk a year, then in the same capacity at the Wallace one year; ran a meat market for six months; sold out and engaged in a restaurant a month; sold again, and from 1878 to 1883 he was employed as traveling agent by the Rock Falls Manufacturing Company; then was manager of the Galt House one year; and finally, June 1, 1884, he rented the Sterling Mercantile Block and opened out with a large stock of furniture, where he is at present carrying on a prosperous trade. Ralph Waldo Emerson remarks that he is not the greatest man who succeeds by sticking to one business, but he who, in trying many kinds, falls every time like a cat, -- lighting upon his feet. E. Dill & Co. now carry a stock of $5,000 worth of goods and have a large and increasing trade. They do much in the line of upholstering. Mr. Dill is a member of the A.O.U.W., of the Select Knights and of the Modern Woodmen of America. He was married Feb. 12, 1872, to Miss Addie E. Bowen, of Rock Falls, and they have two sons, -- Edwin E. and E. Leroy T. [Portrait and Biographical Album of Whiteside County, Illinois, Chapman Brothers Publishing Co., Chicago, 1885. Pg 326]
CHARLES and ANN (THOMPSON) DILLER
Few persons now living were reared in a log cabin. They were born too late, and do not know what they have missed. To waken in the morning and find your pillow covered with the snow storm of the night is a luxury which the delicate dwellers in our city residences never experience. The log cabin makes strong men and women. Witness Webster, Lincoln, Garfield, Nancy Hanks, and think what weaklings they might have been but for the endurance given by these primitive dwellings. It was the writer's good fortune to spend the winter of 1856-7 in a genuine cabin. It was bought by Charles Diller, and moved from Wilson's mill, according to Oliver Talbott. There was one large room below for the family, which at night by a wire and curtain could be made into two sleeping apartments. In the loft above were three or four beds for six or eight persons, who had plenty of fresh air through the loose shingles. A shed attached to the cabin answered for the big cook stove and also a dining room.
Charles Diller belonged to the numerous Diller family of Lancaster county, and learned the trade of cooper, taught school, after his marriage lived a while in New Holland, and in 1850 sought his fortunes in Whiteside, buying a farm along the Elkhorn near Wilson's mill. It was a beautiful tract of upland prairie, and so high you could see for miles in every direction. He put up a stable, planted an orchard, and began to improve the land. An excellent set of people, all different. John Adam Jacob was a for-eign German, James Woods from Ohio who married a German wife, Henry Brown and wife both from old England, Joseph and Frances Wilson of the famous mill, Quakers, who held meeting, Charles Crichton and the Max- wells from bonnie Scotland, Joe Stary from Maryland, then a mixed lot of Warners, Deyos, Plummers, John Furry must not be forgotten, father of Mary Talbott, of the W. C. T. U.
For thirty years Charles Diller was one of Jordan's most valuable mem- bers. He never shrank from a responsibility. Whether justice, assessor, trustee, he was always ready and efficient. His cabin was a center of influence, a bureau of information, as he was more intelligent than his neighbors, and they came there for counsel. He was cordial, and ever ready to do what he could to enlighten the inquirer. Generous to a fault. A warm friend of education, and when the first school was opened in the district, he boarded the teacher a year as a free will offering, asking no recompense. A close reader and thinker, he drew inspiration from the New York Tribune, a welcome weekly visitor at the home. Of good stock. His uncle, Roland Diller, was the solon of his town in the east, and another uncle, Solomon, was in the Pennsylvania legislature.
His wife was Miss Ann E. Thompson, and they were married in 1840 at Newville, Cumberland county, Pennsylvania, her home. There was a large Presbyterian church here, to which Rev. E. Erskine was called soon after he left the church in Sterling, and here he died. She often recalled the Cumberland valley, so lovely and picturesque to her childhood, and which became so memorable in army movements during the civil war.
No more generous soul ever lived. She would divide her last crust. No beggar was ever turned empty from her door. Her table was the most bountiful in Jordan. Friends on leaving after a visit were rewarded with a roll of butter. The neighbors who did not fare so well at home were eager to accept an invitation for a quilting bee, knowing that their labors would be rewarded by a supper of satisfying abundance. Nothing was left undone. Although the cabin was small, the family was large. To feed the numerous mouths, keep the wardrobes in order, and look after the various needs, occupied her time. Always busy. Sometimes no help, and after working beyond her strength, for she was a delicate woman, the next day found her in bed. A cheerful spirit, every ready to look on the bright side.
There was no church in the neighborhood, and when an occasional minister preached in the school house, he was sure of a welcome at the Diller cabin. She came to Sterling now and then, staying over night to attend services on Sunday. After Sunday dinner was over at the cabin, the writer recalls her taking the big family Bible to enjoy her only leisure time of the week. She and Frances Wilson, wife of the Quaker miller, were congenial friend?, both refined, earnest, kindly. In 1878, after nearly thirty years of toil and sacrifice, they removed to Sterling, leaving the farm in charge of a son. Charles began to fail, dying in 1883, and Ann, after ten years of infirmity, borne with Christian resignation, followed to the silent land in 1893. They were buried in Riverside cemetery. Their children, Laura, wife of H. L. John, and three sons, Thomas, Samuel, and Will, survive, Roland having died in California. [Source: History Whiteside County IL. From Its Earliest Settlement to 1908 By William W. Davis M.A. The Pioneer Publishing Co. Transcribed by Christine Walters]
GOODCIL B. DILLON
Goodcil B. Dillon, dentist, corner of Third and Locust Streets, Sterling, was born in Vinton Co., Ohio, May 27, 1857. His parents, John and Ann E. (Newell) Dillon were natives of Zanesville, that State. His grandfather, also named John Dillon, built the first furnace west of the Alleghany Mountains, at Zanesville. His father first graduated at the Cincinnati Law School, but abandoned the pursuit of the legal profession, at the age of 21, to enter the Methodist Episcopal ministry, in which he continued for 40 years, until his death Aug. 26, 1876. The subject of this sketch remained at home with his parents until 21 years of age, completing his education at the Normal Academy at Wilkesville OH, afterward managing his father's farm until 1881, when he began the study of dentistry, under the supervision of his brother, Dr. E.H. Dillon, at Elmwood, IL, graduated at the Ohio College of Dental Surgery, and commenced the practice of his profession at Rock Falls this county, in 1884. After remaining there nearly a year he moved his office to Sterling. He is a successful practitioner, has a growing business and is a worthy citizen. He is a Republican in his political views, and a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church. He, with a sister, and three brothers, resides with his mother. [Portrait & Biographical Pg. 477]
NOTE: ** 1900 Census shows Goodsell Dillon with a wife named Elizabeth (Carpenter). His mother Hannah, age 77 is living with him. Goodsell and Elizabeth were married 9 October 1889.
Moses Dillon, lumber, grain and coal merchant, at Sterling, was born in Ohio, Sept. 19, 1845. His father, Lloyd Dillon - a native of Maryland - was employed in the furnace business at Zanesville OH where he died in 1845. His mother, nee Margaret A. Culbertson, was a native of Pennsylvania. Mr. Dillon was an inmate of his parental home until he was of age, receiving a common-school education. From 1857 to 1860 he was a resident of Dixon, IL. In 1859-60 he herded cattle for William Butler at Nelson Station. In 1861 he enlisted in Co. A, 140th Reg. IL Vol. Inf., was mustered into the military at Dixon, went with his regiment ot Memphis TN and did guard duty.
In 1865 he returned home and formed a partnership with Charles Smith in the grocery business, under the name of Smith & Dillon, and thus continued in the trade for ten years. He sold out his interest in 1875 and bought the interest of Joseph Golder, in the grain, coal and lumber business, forming a partnership with Mr. Golder's son, under the firm name of Golder & Dillon. In this relation they continued until 1880, when Mr. Dillon purchased the interest of his partner, since which time he has conducted the business alone, with success. His office is on the corner of Third and Spruce Streets, and in the rear of his office he has an elevator with a capacity of 60,000 bushels, which he runs with a gas engine - a curiosity to all the people of the county. His lumber and coal yad occupies all of block 43, and his salt and drying sheds and barns all of block 42. He has the only planing-mill in Sterling, where he does all kinds of wood work. Mr. Dillon is a "Sterling" man. Coming when young to the place, he has by diligence and strict integrity won a high business and social position. He is the President of the Northwestern Fair Association, and is a member of the I.O.O.F. and of the A.O.U.W. He is a Republican in his political views, and with his wife, is a member of the Presbyterian Church of Sterling.
May 8, 1867 Mr. Dillon married Miss Emma J. Golder, daughter of Judge Golder, of Sterling and they have five children, namely; Mary P., Maggie A., Alice E., Joseph G and Moses L. [Portrait & Biographical Pg. 373]
WASHINGTON M. DILLON
Washington M. Dillon, President and Treasurer of the Northwestern Barbed Wire Company, of Rock Falls, was born in Putnam, muskingum Co., Ohio, July 2, 1842. His father, Lloyd Dillon, was an iron manufacturer and built the first iron furnace west of the Alleghanies, in company with his father, John Dillon, at Dillon Falls, above Zanesville. The maiden name of Washington's mother was Margaret A. Culbertson. His father was born in Baltimore, Md., and his mother in Ohio. The subject of this sketch was but five years of age when his father died, and then lived with his grandmother until 14 years of age; next, he was with an uncle on a farm for six years, receiving also a fine education. In 1862 he enlisted in the service, remaining two years, in the 148th Reg. Ohio Vol. Inf. and engaging in several battles in TN and AL and with the Army of the Potomac. After serving his time he was honorably discharged. Returning from the exciting scenes of war, he attended the commercial school at Lebanon, Ohio, complted the course of study and received his diploma. Then he was clerk for a year in the bank of Culver PA & Co. 19 and 21, Nassau Street, New York city. Next, he came west to St. Louis MO and conducted a paper for a year. Selling out, he came to Dixon IL and clerked in the dry goods house of Isaac Jones for a period of six months; then for four yers he was engaged in the grocery and queensware trade in the same city; he then sold out and came to Sterling, entering the hardware business with W.C. Robinson, on Mulberry Stree, in which he continued about nine years. Again selling out in 1879, he engaged in the manuacture of barbed wire, on which he owns the patents. A stock company was formed, at first with a capital of $10,000, which has since been increaed to $100,000. Their factory is at Rock Falls, where they turn out 600 spools of wire per day of 24 hours. Mr. D. retains a controlling interest. Mr. Dillon is a wide-awake, representative business man of sterling, a Republican, an Odd Fellow, and a member of the A.O.U.W. and of the Presbyterian Church; Mrs. D. also belongs to that denomination. Mr. Dillon was married May 8, 1875 to Miss Sarah J. daughter of John Martin, of Sterling, and they have four children - Mary K., Margaret A., John M. and Paul W. [Portrait & Biographical Pg. 789]
GILBERT H. DIMMICK
Gilbert H Dimmick, deceased, a former resident of Mt. Pleasant Township, was born June 15, 1819, in Rutland Co., Vt. He was the son of Timothy and Almira (Rugg) Dimmick. He was brought up on the farm of his father, and educated in the common schools. Nov. 17, 1841, he was married to Clarinda, daughter of Elijah and Clarinda (Colton) Herrick. Two years later, accompanied by his wife and parents, he came to Whiteside County, and bought a farm of Pardon M. Dodge, which was located in 1836. Mr. Dimmick had been thoroughly trained in the best type of husbandry in his native State, and he made practical application of his knowledge in the raising of cattle and high grades of sheep. He was much respected for his abilities and reliable character as a man, and served in several official capacities involving responsibility. In political faith and action he was an uncompromising Republican. Mr. Dimmick was killed by the cars, Tuesday, July 29, 1873, as he was crossing the railroad track half a mile east of Morrison. He was driving to a harvest field after supper, accompanied by his hired man, who was comparatively uninjured, being only rendered senseless by the concussion of a fall. The team was also unhurt. Mr. Dimmick lived but half an hour, and did not recover consciousness. He was one of the worthiest citizens of his township, and his terrible death was the source of widespread and earnest sorrow. [Transcribed by Marji Turner from Portraits & Biographical, 1885; Pg 505]
DAVID E DODGE
of Fulton Twp
David E Dodge is a native of Poughkeepsie, Dutchess county, New York and in the spring of 1856 came to Fulton from Syracuse, New York, and made Fulton his home ever since. He was a merchant in Fulton for a Iong time, and then retired, but commenced business again about two years ago, his present store being on the corner of Cherry and River streets. He was a Trustee and Street Commissioner during the time Fulton was a village, and after it became a city was Alderman in 1859 and '60, and again in 1868 and '69. In 1863 he was Mayor of the city. He has also held township offices at various times, and in 1874 was elected Coroner of the county. [Bent-Wilson 1877 Pg 190]
Of Portland Township
Job Dodge was born in Montpelier, Vermont, in 1819, and came to Portland in 1838, He first engaged in mercantile business and pork packing in Portland and Prophetstown, and continued in that line until 1848, when became a plow manufacturer at Peru, Illinois, which business he has followed to the present time. His residence is at Philadelphia. He had only one child , Virginia, who died in childhood. He was married in 1841 to Miss Mary E. Warner. [Bent & Wilson History of Whiteside County IL, 1877]
JOHN B. DODGE
Of Mt. Pleasant Township
John B. Dodge, a prominent character among the early settlers of this county, was born in Tioga county, New York, April 6, 1808. Removed to Licking county, Ohio, where, November 6, 1828, he was united in the bonds of matrimoney to Miss Lydia B Smith. He removed to Stark county, Illinois, August, 1829, where he remained about seven years, when he removed once more to what is now Mt. Pleasant township, Whiteside county, arriving in August 1836, and settling on section 20.
He was the Captain of a Militia Company in 1830, and volunteered during the Blackhawk War, and was present at the battle of Bloody Run. He was a man of much energy, and was frequently called upon by his fellow citizens to bear the burdens of office, not less onerous then than now, and less remunerative. In those days of Auld Lang Syne, honor and a desire for the public good, were the only inducements to office seeking. Fat salaries and well-furnished, comfortable offices existed only in extremely vigorous and daring imagination.
In May 1839, Mr. Dodge was one of the three County Commissioners who held the first Commissioners Court of Whiteside county. He is reported to have announced the opening of the session in the following characteristic words; "Fellow Citizens, the County Commissioners Court of Whiteside is about to set, and will be ready to hatch in two or three days." He was at different times Constable, and Justice of the Peace. He died January 24, 1843 at the age of 35. His widow re-married, her second husband being James Magby, who died several years since leaving her a second time a widow. She at present resides with her son-in-law, George P. Garlick of Fenton township.
Mr. Dodge was buried on his farm. In 1860 his remains were removed to the Morrison Cemetery, where they now repose.
The children were Eber B. born Nov 27 1829, who is married and now resides in this county; Matilda S. born Sep 1, 1832 married R. M. Thompson of Fenton December 25 1849; Abiel Mc., born Oct 1, 1834, died December 28 1835; Eli M. born Jan 20 1837 is now a resident of Marshall county Iowa; Henrietta born Nov 4, 1839 married to James Garlick, and resides in Marshall county Iowa. There were children of the second marriage, one of whom married George P. Garlick of Fenton. [Bent & Wilson History of Whiteside County, Page 301-302]
Of Portland Township
Benjamin Dow was born in Caledonia county, Vermont, in 1811. Upon leaving his native State he located in Jefferson county, New York, and from there came to Portland in 1839, and settled at Jefferson Corners, where he died in 1865. He married Miss Julia Ann Underhill, their children being: Erwin who married Miss Susan Bunnell, and resides in Oregon; Clayton, who married Miss Hurlburt, and lives in Oregon; Irene, wife of John Turner, living in Oregon; and Hiram, who also lives in that State. [Bent & Wilson History of Whiteside County]
THOMAS J. DOW
of Portland Township
Thomas Jefferson Dow was born in Caledonia county, Vermont, in 1800 and came to Portland in 1840, settling at Jefferson Corners. It was from him that Jefferson Corners derived its name. He was familiarly known as Uncle Jeff. He married Miss Susan Gray. The children of this marriage have been: Thomas, who married Miss Belinda Burgess, and lives in Tampico; Abigail, now dead; George, living in Iowa; Daniel W., who married Miss Martha Carter, and lives in Iowa; Chauncey, who married Miss Mary Jane Atkins, and lives in Colorado; Roxana, wife of Mr. Kemp, living in Tampico; William H. H., living in Tampico; Mary, wife of B. W. Edmonds, living in Colorado; Schuyler, living in Tampico; and Noble, living in Iowa, Mr. Dow died in 1871. [Extracted from Bent & Wilson History of Whiteside County Page 360]
John Downs, dealer in hardware, stoves and tinware, manufacturer and repairer of tinware, at Fulton, established his present business in February, 1875, and carries an average stock of $2,500 value. Mr. Downs was born in Cleveland, Ohio, Sept. 23, 1839, and is the son of John and Ann (Gilmore) Downs. His parents were natives of Ireland and emigrated to the United States in 1835. John served a regular apprenticeship to the tinner's trade, in Cleveland and came to Fulton, ILL, in the fall of 1858. He was employed as a journeyman in this city till February, 1875, when he engaged in his present business and has carried it on continuously since. He was married in September, 1862, at Dixon, Il1., to Miss Annie Mahony. Mrs. Downs was born in Limerick, Ireland, in 1842, and is a daughter of Daniel and Margaret (Ring) Mahony. They have four children, three boys and a girl: Edward, born Aug. 28, 1864; William, June 25, 1867; Nellie, Sept. 26, 1872, and John, Dec. 16, 1874. Mr. Downs has been a member of the Fulton City Council eight years. He is a Democrat and a member of the temperance organization entitled the "R. C. B. & T. Society." Mr. Downs, his wife and family are members of the Catholic Church of Fulton. Mr. Downs has now been in business for himself a little over ten years, and has built up a very satisfactory trade. He aims to do good work, keep good goods, and give his customers the value of their money. [Portraits & Biographical, Pg 264]
James Drew, one of the proprietors of the Economy Mill, Sterling, was born in the Dominion of Canada, Dec. 3, 1832, his parents being Elisha and Anna (Dart) Drew. His father was by trade a carpenter and in 1852, came to Stephenson County, this State, engaging in agriculture; but he is at present a resident of Lena, having retired from active business. James, the eldest in his father's family of nine children, remained at home until 21 years of age, assisting his father at his trade and on the farm and receiving a common-school education. He left Canada in 1851, came to Stephenson County, worked at the carpenters trade and assisted his father on his farm until age. Then he went to Lena and worked at the carpenters trade till the fall of 1855, when he came to Sterling and followed his vocation until in 1861, he commenced as a miller for a man named Ross; the mill changed proprietors at the end of a year, and Mr. Drew continued in his capacity as miller several years longer, for the new firm. He next entered the employment of J. McKenney in the Sterling Mills, working for him several years, then four years for Church & Patterson. In 1880 he purchased a third interest in the Economy Mill, in company with Dillon & Harris; in 1881, in company with Harris, he purchased Mr. Dillon's interest; and he bought out Mr. Harris in 1883. In 1884 he sold a half interest to D.R. Denison. They bought the building lot and water power, and have since conducted the establishmnet as a merchant and custom mill, with acceptability to their patrons. Mr. D. owns his fine residence on Pine and Sixth Streets. In his political views, Mr. Drew is a Republican, and in his religious connections a member of the Presbyterian Church at Sterling, of which body Mrs. Drew is also a member. He is also a member of the Masonic Order. June 4, 1856 Mr. Drew was married to Melinda Olinghouse, a native of Ohio, and they have had three children, namely, Florence E., Laura F. and Charles E. [History of Whiteside County, 1885]
Of Newton Twp.
Richard, Drury, a substantial farmer of Newton Township, resident on section 4, is a citizen of the US by adoption. He was born May 15, 1826 in Lincolnshire, England, which was the native shire of his parents, William and mary (Ingamells) Drury. The son was reared a farmer near where he was born, and at the age of 23 years came to the US on the sailing vessel "Ivanhoe" landing at NY after a voyage of 33 days. He went to Albany in a steamboat on the Hudson River, whence he came to Buffalo, and thence on the lake to Detroit. He spent a month at Dexter, MI and came next to New Buffalo and from ther on Lake Michigan to Chicago. He spent a month working on a boat on the Illinois Canal. At the end of that time he started for Whiteside County, coming by rail from Chicago to St. Charles, whenc he proceeded by state to Albany. He was in the employ of his brother-in-law, William Minta, one year, and in that succeeding he went to New Orleans. He was seized with Illness in the Crescent City and spent five weeks in the hospital. He returned up the river as far as St. Louis, and there engaged as overseer in the employ of an extensive market gardener. At the end of the season he came to Garden Plain Township, and after passing a few weeks with his brother-in-law he went to Albany and engaged as an assistant in the warehouse of McIlvaine & Hopper, operating in their interests 3 months.
In the spring of 1851 he rented a farm in Newton Township, on which he purposed to spend one year in company with Wm. Brewer. After 3 months he sold his interest in the crops to his partner and bought three yoke of oxen, with which he engaged in breaking prairie. In the fall he operated as a farm hand in the harvest. In August 1852, he was married to Sally A. Bradley, and they began housekeeping in Albany. Mr. Drury was occupied through the fall and winter in teaming. In 1853 he settled on unimproved land in what is now Newton Township, locating on section 4. He built a house 14 x 18 feet in dimensions and one story high, entering at once on the improvement of his land. He has resided on the same place since that time, a period including more than 30 years, and is now the owner of 310 acres, all fenced and improved with the exception of six acres of timber. In addition to his homestead he owns 640 acres in Floyd Co. TX. He has erected three frame houses on the place and four fine barns. Fruit, shade and ornamental trees have been planted on the premises and 1000 rods of hedge has been set. The farm is considered one of the best in Whiteside County. Mr. Drury is interested in raising stock and grain. His first wife died May 17, 1866 aged 38 years, 11 months and 9 days. Three children survive the mother; Mary J., wife of T.W. Huggins, William W and Robert I. Mr. Drury was married a second time Feb. 24, 1875 to Mary Beeken.
In his success Mr. Drury typifies the value of the privileges to be enjoyed by those who come to this continent from the crowded acres of the Old World. He came with naught but his manhood's strength and correct habits, with which he has carved out a position second to none, and at three-score can contemplate in affluence the results of a well ordered life. [Portrait & Biographical, 1885, Pg 627]
EDNA MAXFIELD WHITED DUBOIS
Edna Maxfield Whited was born in Morrison, Illinois, May 31, 1875. Edna enjoyed working with children, so she studied to be a school teacher. She accepted a position as a teacher in South Dakota, and soon became an organizer of the Kindergarten Movement in that State.
Edna Whited went to Washington, D.C. as the South Dakota delegate to a national women's club convention. It was during this stay in Washington that she met her future husband, Fred T. Dubois.
Fred and Edna were married in Chicago on January 11, 1899. Since Fred was between terms as U.S. Senator the couple moved to Fred's home base, Blackfoot, Idaho. Blackfoot became the family residence in name, if not in fact, Fred and Edna's remaining years. Elizabeth Mary Dubois, the first of two children was born March 17, 1900. Fred was returned to the Senate for a second term and the family moved to the Cairo Hotel in Washington, D.C., which was home during much of Fred's political career. The Idaho home served mainly as a summer residence during this time. A second daughter, Edna Margaret (Toussaint), was born in the nation's capital, December 23, 1902. Fred and Edna's marriage was a "happy, cooperative partnership between two intelligent, ambitious persons with strong professional interests." Both were recognized nationally in their realms of endeavor, and served at both the local and national levels in a number of organizations. The couple faced many periods of separation, especially after Fred was defeated for re-election in 1906. Edna spent much of her time managing their Blackfoot properties, while the girls were attending boarding school, and Fred was trying to earn a living through a variety of business ventures, mostly in Washington, D.C.
Edna Dubois was a frequent traveler attending conferences and meetings as a delegate, a speaker, or an interested listener. In 1905 she accompanied a senatorial commission on a trip to the Orient and the Phillipines. Alice Roosevelt accompanied the group and Mrs. Dubois served as official chaperone for the President's daughter and two companions. (During this trip Edna was unconscious for 3 days after a carriage accident, in which she was credited with putting her life in peril to save a baby that was in the carriage.) These trips provided much material for Edna in her role as a public speaker. Edna Dubois was a very capable and active person. She was prominent in numerous organizations, both locally and nationally. At the state and local level Edna was a member of the Idaho Federation of Business Women; represented the Idaho Federation of Clubs at the Cause and Cure of War Council; belonged to the Blackfoot Current Events Club; and organized the Blackfoot Club of Business and Professional Women (which held its first meeting in her home).
At the national level she was treasurer and a founder of the National Congress of Mothers(which later became the Parent-Teacher Association); served as president of the National Society of Children of the American Revolution; and was very active in the National Child Welfare Commission, the Daughters of the American Revolution, and the Big Brother and Big Sister Movement.
After Fred Dubois' death in February, 1930, Edna obtained a job in Washington, D.C., where her two daughters lived. President Hoover appointed her Director of the Juvenile Division, George Washington Bi-Centennial Commission in August of 1930. The responsibilities of her position, her many activities, and her husband's recent death placed a terrible burden on Edna. It was believed by many that these burdens were a contributing factor to the weakened condition which led to her death. Edna Dubois died August 18, 1931 while visiting relatives in Chicago, and while recovering from a nervous breakdown. She was buried in the town of her birth, Morrison, Illinois. [Idaho State University - Eli M. Oboler Library]
Of Lyndon Twp.
Timothy Dudley was born in Connecticut in 1772, and came to Lyndon in 1838. On the 2d of February, 1800 he married Miss Anna Osborn, who was a native of Connecticut, and born June 17, 1778, the children of the marriage being: Henry, who died in infancy; James Henry, born April 28, 1802; William 0., born December 2, 1803; John, born November 3, 1805; Eliza, born July 2, 1807, Jane, born August 27, 1810; Ann, born March 16, 1812; Charles, born December 8, 1813, and Henry, born March 31, 1818. James Henry died May 6, 1829; Eliza died November 27, 1851, and Timothy died August 10, 1849. William O. married Miss Louisa Dudley, October 18, 1837; their children have been: James Hervey, Frances Ruth, Eliza, George F., Ann L., Jane, John. Frances Ruth died January 16, 1850, and James Hervey, August 19, 1861 Eliza, George F., John and Jane are married; Ann resides at home with her parents. John married Miss Abigail; children, John William, and Abigail. Ann married Marcus Sperry, November 27, 1836; children, James, John V., and Restore C.; James C., and Restore C. are married; John V. was killed in the army. Charles married Miss Sarah Leek, and resides in Portage county, Ohio. Henry married Miss Harriet F. Smith, November 27, 1855; children, Edwin, and Charles; Mr. Dudley died August 2, 1873. Jane married Augustine W. Newhall, December 2, 1830; children, Ellen Jane, and Eliza D.; Ellen Jane married A. A. Higley, who died in the army in 1862; Eliza D. married Rev. L. D. White in January, 1857; children, Frank N., Alfred, Jennie P., and Alden. [Bent - Wilson 1877]
WILLIAM D. DUDLEY
Of Lyndon Twp.
William D. Dudley was born at Richmond, Massachusetts, November 21, 1786, and came to Lyndon August 5, 1835. He married Miss Tryphena Fitch February 11, 1817. Their children were: Louisa, born July 9, 1818; Frances R.(Ruth), born April 20, 1822; Ann C., born August 5, 1824; Mary, born June 24, 1827 and William C.(Chester), born July 7, 1830. Of these, Ann C. and Mary died in infancy and Frances R. died July 19, 1833. William C. married Miss Armina Summers March 15, 1855; children, Mary L., Collin D., and Ruth. Mr. Dudley was one of the most prominent men in Whiteside during its early history. His widow is living with her son-in-law, W. O. Dudley, and although eighty-one years of age, possesses remarkable physical and intellectual vigor. Mr. Dudley died in Lyndon, January 25, 1857. [Bent - Wilson 1877]
NOTE: Louisa Dudley married William Osborn Dudley 3 October 1837 in Ogle Co IL. William was the son of Timothy & Anna (Osborn) Dudley.
Benjamin Dunmore, farmer, sec 23, Jordan Tp., was born July 22, 1843, in Schoharie Co., N. Y. His father, John Dunmore, was born in England, and, after coming to the United States, married Eliza McDougal, who was born in the State of New York, and was by descent of Scotch and French extraction. He was a shoemaker, and came t Sterling with his family, including his wife and six children, in 1857. Subsequently the parents went to Clinton, Iowa, where they are now living, aged respectively 71 and 56 years. The son, who is the subject of this sketch, is the second of the children born to his parents. When 19 years old, he began to learn the carpenter's trade, which he followed some years. He married Anna Warren, daughter of Jacob and Barbara (Slider) Warren. Her parents were farmers in Maryland, their native State. After their marriage they moved to Carroll Co., that State, where Mrs. Dunmore was born, Sept. 12, 1845. In 1853, her father moved to Dixon, Ill., whence he came soon after to this county. He died in September,1883. Her mother died in April 1868. The former was a shoemaker by trade, but passed his last years on a farm in Jordan Township. They were members of the Lutheran Church. Mrs. Dunmore is the youngest of a family of nine children. In the spring of 1875, Mr. Dunmore bought 40 acres of land on section 2, Jordan Township. He expended his time and efforts on the place until 1882, when he sold out and moved to Clinton, Iowa, where he invested the proceeds of his farm in town property. After a year's residence at Clinton, her returned to Jordan Township, where he is managing a farm on section 23. He is independent in his political views, and has officiated in several official positions in his township. [1885 Portrait and Biographical of Whiteside Co Pg 798 - Contributed by Marji Turner]
WILLIAM WINTHROP DURANT
William W. Durant is a native of Thomaston, State of Maine born May 27, 1803. Mr. Durant was married to his first wife, Miss Susanna L. Marsh, at Roxbury, Massachusetts, June 1, 1827. She died at Rock Falls, in this county, in October, 1839. In December, 1840, Mr. Durant married his second wife, Miss Emily M. Martin. The children by the first wife were, E. W., S. L., and W. W.; and by the second wife, Charles A., Helen Maria, Alfred and Augusta. E. W. Durant resides at Stillwater, Minnesota, and the rest at Albany, Illinois. All are living except Helen M., wife of Joseph S. Green who died at Albany in April, 1876. Mr. Durant came first to Whiteside in 1838, and settled at Rock Falls, where he remained until August, 1844, when he moved to and settled in Albany, and has since resided at that place. The first few years of his residence in Whiteside was devoted to farming, and since then he has been engaged in merchandising. He was one of the first Assessors appointed for the precincts by the County Commissioners, his district comprising Rapids precinct. He has also been Justice of the Peace, and since 1863 Postmaster at Albany. [Bent & Wilson History of Whiteside County]
WILLIAM HENRY DURKEE
As a physician and surgeon, Doctor Durkee has been identified with the professional life of Whiteside County for a quarter of a century. He has enjoyed exceptional opportunities in school and in his practical experience has rendered a service that has brought him unqualified esteem in his home city of Fulton.
He was born on a farm in York Township, Carroll County, Illinois, January 23, 1868. His paternal grandparents were Sidney and Sabra (DeWolf) Durkee. Sidney Durkee, a native of Yarmouth, Nova Scotia, and of Holland Dutch ancestry, the original spelling of the family name having been Dierks, grew up in Nova Scotia and on going to Ohio settled in Licking County, where he spent the rest of his life. George Albert Durkee, father of Doctor Durkee was born at Johnstown in Licking County, Ohio, October 12, 1889, and at the age of sixteen in 155, went west to Carroll County, Illinois. In 1864 he enlisted in Company B of the 147th Illinois Infantry and gave service as a soldier of the Union during the remainder of the war. For many years he was an active member of the Grand Army of the Republic. Soon after his return from the army he married Anna A. Clark, who was born near Newark in Muskingum County, Ohio. While visiting her aunt., Mrs. Parkhill in Carroll County, Illinois, she met George Albert Durkee. After their marriage they settled in Carroll County on a farm and a number of years later moved to Fulton in Whiteside County, where George A Durkee died March 29, 1923. He was a republican in politics and he and his wife devout Baptists. Fulton is still the home of Mrs. George A. Durkee. Their five children were: William Henry, Frank Roy, Clarence Adelbert, Edity May Sabra, who died at the age of twenty-one and Mildred Neva of Normal, Illinois.
William Henry Durkee had the environment of the farm during his youth and early manhood, attending the common schools in the country and at the age of twenty began work as a country school teacher. He taught for three years and in the meantime was advancing his own education in the northern Illinois College at Fulton. Doctor Durkee took his degree from the Keokuk Medical College of Iowa in 1897. For six years he handled a general country practice with home at Thompson. During 1903-04 he was in Chicago for post-graduate work in the College of Physicians and Surgeons, now the School of Medicine of the University of Illinois. He was graduated in 1904, and since that year has had a busy general practice at Fulton and has been honored with the office of Secretary of the Whiteside County Medical Society and in 1924-25 was president of the society. He is also a member of the Illinois State Medical Association. Active in the affairs of citizenship in his home community, he was for sixteen years president of the City Board of Education at Fulton and has also served as an alderman. He is a republican, is a member of the Presbyterian Church and fraternally is a thirty-second degree Scottish Rite Mason and Shriner Tebala temple of Rockford, Illinois and a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows. He married in 1897, Mary Eva Nichols. She was born and reared in Carroll County, Illinois. their two children are: Leah A. and George Chandler Durkee. [History of Illinois and her people by George Washington Smith 1927; Whiteside County History 1880]
JOHN ELLIOTT DURSTINE
Of Coloma Township
John E. Durstine, farmer, residing on section 34, Coloma Twp., is the sixth child born to Martin & Mary A. (Harvey) Durstine, natives of PA and devoted to agricultural life. They sold their old home and moved to Round Grove, this county in 1853. The latter place they also sold and in 1870 purchased porperty at Morrison, which they occupied until 1874, when they rented it and changed their residence to Coleta, a small town northwest of Sterling, where the father died, in September, 1877 and the mother in September 1884. The subject of this sketch was born Dec. 5, 1842, received a common-school education, and when 17 years of age enlisted for the union. At Stone River he was wounded through the thigh; was taken prisoner a short time and was paroled, and finally exchanged. Before he was wounded he was Orderly to Gen. E.N. Kirk; afterward, Orderly at the Medical Director's Office of the 14th Army Corps, the Army of the Cumberland. At the expiration of his three years' enlistment he wsa honorable discharged. He then came to Round Grove and worked at farming for a time, and next he attended the Illinois Soldiers College at Fulton, this county, for two terms. He went then to Benton Co. Iowa and in company with his brother, purchased a farm of 193 acres. Returning to Round Grove, he married Emma Stone a native of Ohio. Their two children are Warren E. and ethel S. Mr. Durstine, after marriage, moved to his farm in Iowa, and after residing there two years he moved to Story County, same State and occupied a farm there for three years, then five years at Round Grove again; then six years ona farm he purchased about two miles north of the station; and finally sold that property and moved to the place he now occupies.
Politically, Mr. Durstine is a Republican, and religiously he belongs to the Congregational Church as does also Mrs. D. He is a Deacon and a Trustee in his Church. He is also Treasurer and Commissioner of Highways of his township. By the many removals and changes in life Mr. Durstine has made, he has generally ameliorated his condition and circumstances, and is now one of the leading men of Coloma. [Portraits & Biographical Whiteside Co 1885, Pg 224]
of Fulton Township
John Dyer was born in the town of Orleans, Jefferson county, New York, March 6, 1824, and upon coming west stayed in Wisconsin from May 1856, until November of that year, when he went to Clinton, Iowa, where he remained until October 5, 1857, when he premanently settled in Fulton. He engaged in the boot and shoe trade, at first in Fulton in company with George S. Phelps, the store standing on the site of Ald. A. D. Mitchell's present store. The partnership existed about six months when Mr. Dyer went into business for himself, afterwards in partnership with W. W. Curtis, and so remained until 1861, when Mr. Curtis secured a government position at Washington. In September, 1861 Mr. Dyer enlisted in what was then known as the Lincoln Regiment, and became Second Lieutenant of Company F - a company raised mainly through his efforts, and was mustered into service in November of the same year. The regiment was afterwards known as the 52d Illinois Volunteers. He was with this Regiment in all of its duties until March 1862, when he was prostrated by severe sickness brought on by an unusually heavy cold taken during the previous winter in northwestern Missouri, and compelled by reason of it to resign andi home. He could not willingly, however, remain at home when his country demanded the services of its loyal citizens in the field, and when the Preident issued the call for more troops in July, 1862, although not fully recovered from his late illness, again enlisted, this time being connected with the 93d III Volunteers. Company F. of that Regiment, was raised by him, and Captain Knight, of Albany, and he again had the position of the Second Lieutenancy conferred upon him. The Regiment went to the front in November, 1882 and was with Gen. Sherman at Tallahatehie, expecting to do some severe fighting but when the rebels made the raid on Holly Springs, were ordered back to that point, so that during the time Lieut. Dyer belonged to the Regiment, it did not take part in any heavy battle. Sickness again overtook him in the spring of 1863, or in fact never had left him since his attack the year before, and in April he resigned and came home. He was prostrated during the following summer and fall; and did not resume business until December 1863, when he again came engaged in the boot and shoe trade, and has so remained, with exception of a few months, until the present time. Mr. Dyer has been honored by his fellow citizens with various offices since his residence in Fulton, having been elected Collector of the township in 1860; Supervisor in 1868 and 1874. Justice of the Peace in 1871, serving four years. He was Alderman of the city for the second ward in 1869 and 1870, and in the spring of 1877 was Police Magistrate of the city. To each of these offices he brought a faithful and intelligent discharge of its duties. [Bent-Wilson 1877 Pg 191-192]
BACK -- HOME
© Copyright Genealogy Trails