Frank Hadaway, one of the energetic, prosperous and representative farmers of Whiteside County, residing on section 21, Prophetstown Township, and the proprietor of 760 acres in the township, was born in Essex Co, N. Y., July 27, 1832. His fAther, Lot Hadaway, was a native of Vermont, and a farmer and luymberman by occupation. His mother, Areteusa (Tarbull) Hadaway, was also a native of Vermont. The parents had a family of six children, only tow of whom survive, Frank and Susan. She is the wife of Burchard Chapman, a farmer in Kansas. Mr. Hadaway was reared on a farm and also brought up to the occupation of a lumberman. In January, 155, he came to this county and purchased 80 acres of land, locted on the site of his present farm, which he had purchased in 1853. He engged in running the Prophetstown ferry one year, and broke prairie one season, and then locted on his farm. He made a number of improvements on his farm, and by good judgment, energetic effort and detrmination, combined with economy and co-operation on the part of his good helpmeet, he has subsequently added by purchase to his landed interests until he is now the possessor of the large acreqge stated, to wit, 760 acres in his home farm. He also owns 80 acres in Prophetstown Township, 52 acres in Portland Township, besides 240 acres north of Spring Hill, same township, and 320 acres in Kansas. He raises each year a number of cattle, hogs and sheep, which he ships direct to Chicago. He is a member of the Masonic Order and was on of the charter members of the Prophetstown lodge. Mr. Hadaway was united in marriage to Miss Georgiana Burk, in 1860. She was born in Portland Township, this county, and bore him two children, -- George S., who is a farmer in Prophetstown Township; and Julia, now a resident of Prophetstown, is a photographer by profession. Mrs. Hadaway died in Prophetstown Township, July 27, 1868, and Mr. Hadaway was again married in the same Township, Sept. 5, 1869, to Mary K. Martin. She was born April 23, 1844, at Livonia, Washington Co., Ind., and has borne him four children, -- Frank Martin, Susan, Kingley T. and Zetta. George S. was united in marriage to March Bechel, March 10, 1885. [Transcribed by Marji Turner, Whiteside County History 1885 Pg 772]
Peter Hagan, general farmer and stock-raiser, section 14, Tampico Township, was born in Elizabethtown, N.J. His parents, Patrick and Catharine (Anthony) Hagan, were natives of Ireland and New York State respectively his mother was of French and German ancestry; his father resided in Ireland until he was about 20 years of age, when he emigrated to America. A few years afterward he was married, in New Jersey, and after the birth of his fifth child he moved to Franklin County, Ohio, settling upon a farm. In 1850 he moved to Greenville Township, Bureau County, Illinois, where Peter, the subject of this sketch, was reared to manhood and completed and completed his education, and where his parents died, his father in 1880, aged 78 years, and his mother in 1883, aged 87 years. They were prominent and highly respected members of the farming community. In 1864 the subject of this sketch left his parents home and came to Tampico Township, purchasing 80 acres of the section where he now resides, which was the “raw” prairie, and he began at once to improve it and lay the foundations for a comfortable home. Thus he labored for ten years before he was married, boarding at some of the neighbors. Mr. Hagan is successful in agricultural pursuits. In his political principles he is a firm Democrat. He was married in Greenville Township, Bureau County, Illinois, February 4, 1874, to Mrs. Rachel Melvin, daughter of Reverend John and Anna (Carson) Brook. Her father, a Methodist minister, was a native if England, her mother of America and they were married in Pennsylvania. Mrs. Hagan was born in Clearfield County, Pennsylvania, October 18, 1843. In 1845 her parents removed to La Salle County Illinois, where her mother died; and, her father being an itinerant preacher, she was reared by strangers. When she attained the age of 17 years and obtained a good education at Wheaton (Illinois) College, she went to New Bedford, Bureau County, where she was for the first time married. She had by her first marriage,viz: Frank, born March 8, 1866; Minnie C., born April 5, 1869. By her present marriage she has three children, namely; William, born November 30, 1874; Catharine, born April 12, 1876; and Emma, born May 12, 1878. Mrs. Hagan is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church. [Portraits & Biographical Pg 634]
Frederick Hageman, farmer, section 21, Hopkins Township, has been an agriculturist in Whiteside County since 1858. In 1875 he bought 200 acres of partly improved land in the township where he has since prosecuted his farming projects. It is nearly all under tillage. He was born May 18, 1818, in Germany, also the native place of his parents, David & SOphia Hageman. He had two brothers, Gotfried and William, both his seniors. He was 40 years old when he left his native country, coming immediately on landing to Whiteside County, where he bought a farm in Jordan Township, on which he lived until, as stated, he removed to Hopkins Township. He was married in Germany to Charlotte Moss, by whom he had 11 children, named as follows; August F.W., John F.W., Augusta C., Herman A., Christina, Frederick, Maria, Frank, John, Charles and Rosa. The mother died May 21, 1872 in Jordan Township. Mr. Hageman contracted a second marriage Oct. 13, 1873, with Christina Strehl. She was born Nov. 17, 1835, in Germany. They are members of the German Lutheran Church. In political sentiment Mr.Hageman is a Democrat. [Source: Portraits & Biographical 1885 Pg 666]
George Hagey a jeweler by trade, but now retired from business, and a resident on the corner of Fourth and Chestnut Streets, Sterling, was born in Montgomery co., Pa., Feb. 14, 1808. His parents were Jacob and Elizabeth (Garehart) Hagey, who lived and died in their native State, Pennsylvania. Mr. George Hagey received in his youth a limited education, remaining at his parental home Until of age and learning the jewelry trade of his father. He then engaged in businss for himself, in his native county, for two years, and then for 17 years at Trappe, in the same county. The he purchased a farm of 111 acres in Bucks County, that State, and resided upon it six years. Selling out a the expirations of that time, he came to Sterling, this county, in 1855, engaging in the jewelry business and following it until 1881. He then sold his stock and interest in the business and has since lived in quiet retirement. In his religious relations he belongs to the New Mennonites. He was married in October, 1830, to Sarah Myers, a native of Pennsylvania, and they had seven children, three of whom are living, namely, Jacob M., William H. H. and Elizabeth. Jacob M. married Sophina Briggs, a native of the State of New York, and their children are Maud, Blanch and John. Wm. H. H. married Emily M. Humphrey, a native of New York, and they are the parents of Emma J. and Charles H. Elizabeth became the wife of Wm. W. Pratt, of Kansas, and the mother of Julius B., Geroge H., Mary L., Emma J. and Zella. Mrs. Hagey died in 1849, and Mr. H., in 1851, married Susan Pool, a native of Pennsylvania. By this marriage on daughter has been born, Emma L., who married Walter C. G. Sackett in 1878, and has one son, Walter G. Abraham G., the second son of Mr. George Hagey, died in 1878. He married Agnes Lyle, a native of Scotland, and had four children, -- George, Jamie, Fannie and John. [Transcribed by Marji Turner Whiteside County History 1885 Pg 431]
Of Mt. Pleasant Township
Jonathan Haines was a native of Butler county, Ohio, and came to Illinois in 1826, first settling in Tazewell county. In 1835 he came to Whiteside county on his way to Galena, and being so well pleased with the location of what is now known as Jacobstown, and the water privileges there, made a claim and erected a cabin. His purpose in going to Galena was to use his steam ice boat which he had recently patented, in navigating the Upper Mississippi during the winter, feeling sanguine of carrying the United States mail, and keeping up trade with St. Paul, and the upper forts. He made a few trips to Dubuque, In the winter of 1835, Felix French lived in the cabin, and took care of the mill claim, Mr. J.T. Atkinson boarding with him during the time which he was making rails and cutting logs on his claim nearby. Mr. Haines returned in 1836, and built a saw mill on his claim, on the opposite side of the creek from the present mill. This mill, however, was washed away by a freshet after one log had been sawed, and in 1837 he erected another one on the same site, to which he afterwards added a pair of burrs for grinding grain. In 1847 he invented the "Illinois Harvester," and put up machine shops at Unionville, where he manufactured them until his removal to Tazewell county, in 1849. These Harvesters have since been somewhat improved, and are now extensively used in all the Western States. Union Grove Precinct was named by Mr. Haines, J.T. Atkinson, and Henry Boyer, in the spring of 1836. Mr. Haines was quite a prominent man in Whiteside county at an early day, and held several positions of public trust. He was a useful citizen, a kind and generous neighbor, and endeared himself to all who became acquainted with his many excellent traits of character. He died in Pekin, Tazewell county, February 22, 1868 of apoplexy. [Bent & Wilson History of Whiteside County Page 302]
WARREN P. HALL
OF Fulton, IL
Warren P. Hall (deceased), late of the Langford & Hall Lumber Company, and a prominent citizen of Fulton, was born in the town of Bristol, Ontario Co. N.Y. Sept. 5, 1826, and was the son of Perez and Ruth (Hicks) Hall. When he was only a year old his parents moved to West Bloomfield, of the same county, where his boyhood was passed. When he was 13 years of age, he removed with his parents to Burton, Cattaraugus Co., N. Y.; and six years later he left home to work with a Mr. Lemuel Smith, a manufacturer of lumber at Portville. He spent ten years with Mr. Smith, during which time he learned the lumber business thoroughly, especially the mechanical part, for which Mr. Hall had a peculiar fitness. His natural love of machinery and of mechanical construction found a fair field for expansion in his chosen employment. Soon after leaving Mr. Smith, he engaged in the lumber business for himself, at Portville, Cattaraugus County, but continued it only two years, when he was burned out. He then went to Berlin, Wis., where he was employed as foreman by Mr. Ruddock, an extensive lumber manufacturer on the Fox River. He was married in that city Dec. 30, 1858, to Miss Catharine Swarts, daughter of George and Margaret (Barry) Swarts. Mrs. Hall was born in Hamilton, Monroe Co., Penn. One year after their marriage, Mr. Hall and wife moved to Janesville, Wis., where he was employed in the lumber business. In 1861 he removed to Dixon, Ill., where he set up a mill and operated it for Mr. A. K. Norris till the spring of 1865. He came to Fulton April 6 of that year, and engaged as foreman with Mr. C. E. Langford, a lumber manufacturer of that place. In January, 1866, he entered into partnership with Mr. Langford, . under the firm name of "Langford & Hall." Mr. Hall took charge of the mill and manufacturing department, and under his superior management the present extensive and complete mills of the Langford & Hall Lumber Company were built in 1876-7. It was largely due to Mr. Hall's successful management of the operating department that the company made such rapid progress in increasing and extending their business.
In Jan. 1878, the Langford & Hall Lumber Company was incorporated, in which Mr. Hall held shares to the amount of $35,000. He was elected president and also superintendent of the company in 1880, which positions he held till the happening of the terrible accident that cut short his valuable life in the noon-day of his success and prosperity. Mr. Hall lost his life on the 7th of July, 1881, by a blow from a falling timber, while assisting his men in removing the hoisting poles after having raised a smoke-stack at the mill. The sudden death of such a man as Warren P. Hall was a sad blow, not only to his wife and children, to whom he had been a devoted husband and father, but also to his business associates, employees and fellow-citizens.
Mr. Hall experienced religion at the early age of 11 years, and became a member of the Presbyterian Church of West Bloomfield, N. Y. He continued a consistent member of that Church till 19 years of age, when he severed his connection and united with the Methodist Episcopal Church at Portville, N. Y. He continued during the remainder of his life an earnest, zealous worker in that denomination. He filled the offices of Steward, Class-leader and Trustee to for many years, and by his good example, sincere piety and liberal support, was veritably a pillar of the Church. He was punctual in attendance at services; prayer-meetings and class-meetings, while his purse was always open in support of the Church, its missions and its charities.
The funeral services were conducted by the Masonic fraternity, of which he had long been an honored member. The attendance was remarkably large, both from city and country, and showed the high esteem in which the deceased was held. The Revs. R M. Smith, Carr and David delivered appropriate discourses. Mr. Hall left a wife and two daughters to mourn his loss. The family had been bereaved only a few years before by the death of an only son, George, who was drowned while skating on the so-called Cattail, Jan. 15, 1876. He was a bright, promising lad in his 16th year. He had experienced religion three years before, and was a worthy member of the Methodist Episcopal Church. He was the eldest of the children, and was born at Janesville, Wis. Estella, the second child and eldest daughter, was born at Dixon, Ill., and is the wife of Silas E. Morris, of Darlington, Wis. Grace E., the youngest, was born at Fulton. Mr. Hall was a Republican with strong prohibition sympathies. His temperance views were well known, and it may truthfully be said of him that in all the walks of life he aimed to be right and his influence was always in favor of that which was calculated to make the world better and purer. [Portraits & Biographical Pg 216 Published 1885 - Chapman Bros. Chicago IL]
ADAM R. HAMILTON
Of Lyndon Township
Adam R. Hamilton was born in Northampton, Massachusetts, October 12, 1791, and came to Lyndon, Whiteside county, in August, 1835. He married Miss Nancy Miller on the 18th of April, 1813. Mrs. Hamilton was also a native of Massachusetts, and born on the 9th of February, 1792. The children of this marriage were: John M., born May 11, 1814; Nancy A., born May 6, 1816; Lovica B., born May 22, 1818; George R., born February 24, 1820; Mary J., born May 19, 1822; Adam R., Jr., born June 1, 1824; Mary E., born June 6, 1826; and Harriet A., born July 13, 1833.
Mary J. died October 12, 1823. John M. married Miss Prudence Wright; children, Levi, Carrie E., Prudence and Elvira; Mrs. Hamilton died, and Mr. Hamilton married his second wife; Miss Anna Woodward; the children by this marriage are, George W., Charles A. and Frederick E. Nancy A. married Theron Cook, March 3, 1836; children, Asa, Mary E., George A., Adelia E., Lucy F., Adam R., and Edward and Edwin, twins. Lovica B. married John C. Swarthout; children, Harriet A., Albert M., James E., Adam, Emma J., George E., Mary E. and Lovica A.; James E., Adam and Lovica A. died in infancy; Mr. Swarthout died in 1848, and Mrs. Swarthout married J. W. Olds. George R. married Miss H. S. Belt, May 22, 1867; children, Willis G., J.Levi and Effie. Mary E. married John Garlick; children, Henry, Martha, Ida, Frank and Fred. Adam R., Jr., is in Oregon. John M. lives two miles west of Lyndon, and George R. occupies the old homestead; both are well-to-do farmers, and good neighbors and citizens. Mr. Hamilton was a Justice of the Peace of the county when these officers of the law received their appointment from the Governor, and was one of the Justices appointed by the Legislature to superintend the election, under: the act of 1839, for a place to be the county-seat of Whiteside county. He was a sincere Christian, and gave the subject of religion more attention than all other matters combined, never failing to attend all church, Bible, Sunday-school and missionary meetings. All other engagements had to yield to church duties. He was a deacon in the Congregational Church so long that he was known everywhere as Deacon Hamilton. He died August 28, 1865, his wife having preceded him several years. [From Bent-Wilson 1877 Pg 270-271]
FRANKLIN F. HAMILTON
Of Fenton Township
Franklin F. Hamilton, a farmer on section 34 Fenton Township, is the son of a pioneer of Whiteside County. James Hamilton, his father, was born in 1812, in the State of NY. He came to Erie Twp. in 1836, and married Lucinda, daughter of Lewis D. and Phoebe (Hunt) Crandall. Lewis D. Crandall was the second settler in Erie Twp. where he came in 1835 and located on Section 18. He died in 1860. After his marriage the senior Hamilton went to Lee Co IL and was a resident there until 1844 when he returned with his family to Whiteside Co. He died in 1874. His wife survived until 1881. Mr. Hamilton is the second of their six children. He was born at Grand Detour, then in Lee Co IL, Oct. 30, 1843 and was but a few months old when his father came to Whiteside County, for a permanent residence. He was a member of the parental household until he assumed family responsibilities himself, Feb. 8, 1869, he located on section 34, Fenton Township, on a farm of 196 acres, which is in excellent condition for successful tillage.
Dec. 24, 1866, Mr. Hamilton married Esther Peters, who was born Nov. 10, 1846, in Fenton Township, this county. By this marriage there were four children. Mrs. H. died July 19, 1879, leaving two children, only one of whom is now living,namely, Allie, who was born Nov. 4, 1870; Frankie was born Feb.9, 1879 and died Dec. 17, 1882. Mr. Hamilton formed a second matrimonial alliance April 24, 1884, with Carrie Naftzger, a native of Ohio. [1885 Portrait and Biographical of Whiteside Co Pg. 794]
GEORGE R. HAMILTON
George R. Hamilton is a pioneer of Lyndon Township and the son of a pioneer. Father and son came to Whiteside County in 1835. Adam R. Hamilton, the former, was born Oct. 12, 1791, in Massachusetts. He was married to Nancy Miller, April 18, 1813. She was born Feb. 09, 1792, in Massachusetts, and became the mother of eight children. George R. was born in Northampton, Hampshire Co., Mass., Feb. 24, 1820. When he was three years of age his father removed his family to Orleans Co., N. Y., traveling on the Erie Canal to Rochester, where it then terminated. Their further transit was made with teams to Clarendon, where they were pioneer settlers. The senior Hamilton bought land in the timber, built a log house and was a resident there until 1835, when he sold his estate and came to Whiteside County, where he was one of the earliest of the permanent settlers. Only four families preceded his arrival, and the county was not set off from Jo Davies County for some months afterward. His claim was made on section 19, town 20, range 5 east, now Lyndon Township.
Three families - those of Mr. Hamilton, W. D. Dudley and C. G. Woodruff - left the State of New York at the same time, each with a pair of horses and a wagon. A month was consumed in the overland journey to Chicago. The families stopped for a time at Plainfield, in Will County, about 25 miles from Chicago, while the men went on in advance. Mr. Hamilton was accompanied by his son John, and after making his claim he returned for his family, leaving John to construct a dwelling, into which they moved. Through the first winter it was covered with hay and had no floor. In the spring following, a larger house was built, which was of a more aristocratic type, covered with shakes and having a puncheon floor. A door to the establishment was made of the boards from a packing box, and it had wooden hinges and latch. Chicago was the place of supplies, and the journey there and back occupied from eight to thirteen days. Adam R. Hamilton passed the remainder of his life in the improvement and cultivation of the farm on which he first settled, dying in 1865. His wife died in 1860. They had eight children, six of whom are still living: John M. is a farmer in Lyndon Township; Louisa B. is the wife of J. W. Olds, of Lyndon; George R. is next in order of birth; Adam R. lives in California; Mary E. married John Garlick and Amelia lives in Nebraska.
Mr. Hamilton of this sketch was 15 years of age when he accompanied his parents to Whiteside County, and he assisted his father in the improvement of the farm on which the family located and which is now his property. He was married May 28, 1867, to Hannah L. Belt, who was born in Ohio, and is the daughter of Benjamin and Deborah Belt. They have two children - George W. and Louie Effie. With the exception of two seasons, Mr. Hamilton has lived on the homestead since his removal to Whiteside County. The place includes 315 acres, all in good agricultural condition. [Portrait & Biographical History of Whiteside Co 1885]
JOHN M. HAMILTON
John M. Hamilton, farmer, on section 20, Lyndon Township, is the oldest son of Adam R. Hamilton, a pioneer of Lyndon, in 1834, of whom a full personal account is given with the sketch of George R. Hamilton, on another page. John M.Hamilton was born May 11, 1814, in Northampton, Hampshire Co., Mass. About 1822 he accompanied his parents to Clarendon, Orlens Co., N.Y. and resided with them until their removal to Whiteside County. On arrival here Mr. Hamilton pre-empted 80 acres of land on section 20 of township 20, range 5. He married Prudence Wright, and directly after that event took possession of his property upon which he has since resided, and made extensive improvements. He is the owner of 236 acres of land in advanced cultivation. His wife died in August, 1854. He was married to Mrs. Anna B. (Thompson) Woodward, June 18, 1856. She was born in Adams Co., Pa., and was the widow of Eli Woodward. John, Levi, Caroline A. and Elvira are the children of the first wife; the latter is the wife of Philip Stone, of Lyndon, and Caroline A. is the wife of Holly Smith of Morrison. Geroge W., the firstborn of the second marriage, died in infancy; Charles A. and Frederick E. survive. [Portrait & Biographical History of Whiteside Co 1885]
Christian Hammelman, one of the most extensive farmers in Genesee Township, has been a citizen of Whiteside County since 1862. He was born Feb. 13, 1825, in Brandenburg, Prussia. His parents belonged to the laboring class, and he was brought up according to the legal regulations of his native land, which provides for the disposal of every minor male child born within its borders after reaching a certain age. He came to the United States in 1854, and a year later came to Illinois. He was employed as a general laborer about seven years, when he made his first purchase of land on section 26, in Genesee Township, which was all unimproved. He formed a matrimonial alliance with Mrs. Margaret (Reis) Opendorf. She was born April 18, 1825, in Baden, Germany. She came to the United States in company with Philip Opendorf, to whom she was married in Philadelphia as soon as they landed. He followed the business of a shoemaker in the City of Brotherly Love 12 years, subsequently coming to Whiteside County. They lived for a time in Jordan Township, where the husband died, Feb. 22, 1863, leaving five children. The eldest is named John; Mary married Charles Smith; William married Jennie Wilkinson and lives at Sterling Charles married Barbara Beck and is a farmer in Genesee Township; Sarah lives with her mother and step-father. Mr. and Mrs. Hammelman have two children, -- Frank and Edward C.
Mr. Hammelman has brought the traits that characterize the class to which he belonged in his native land, -- thrift, industry and economy, -- to bear on his business as a farmer. His fields stretch out from the nucleus as a farmer. His fields stretch out from the nucleus of the original tract which he purchased until they number 370 acres, including three farms all under excellent cultivation, with suitable and necessary buildings. Mr. Hammelman is the owner of large herds of stock. He is a Democrat, and, with his wife, belongs to the Evangelical Church. [Transcribed by Marji Turner, Whiteside County History 1885 Pg 498]
HARVEY R. HAND
Harvey R. Hand, farmer, section 31, Coloma Township, was born March 31, 1842, in Troy, Orleans Co., Vt. His parents, John B. and Elizabeth J. (Peak) Hand, were natives of New England. In 1867 they came to Whiteside County, and were residents of Coloma Township until i88i, when they returned to Vermont. They had ten children, six of whom lived to attain the age of maturity: Frances M., Harvey R., Bement J., Carrie A., Orilla H. and Juliette; four died in childhood; Bement J. entered the army of the United States when he was 18 years old, and died before the expiration of his term of service. Mr. Hand obtained a fair common-school education, and was an attendant at the academy at Peacham, Caledonia Co., Vt., five years. In the spring of 1865 he came to Whiteside County, and passed the first years of his residence in Illinois in the management of a rented farm in Colonia Township. He then bought 200 acres of land in Hume Township. His aggregated acreage is now 400 acres, which is all under tillage. He has an annual average of 1oo cattle, 20 horses and colts, and fattens a drove of hogs far market every year. Mr. Hand is identified in politics with the Republican party. He enlisted in Co. F, 15th Regt. Vt. Vols., in 1862. He was married March 12, 1885, in the township of Montmorency, to Celia D., daughter of Monroe and Mary (Taylor) Carroll, natives of Ohio. Mrs. Hand has one brother older than herself - Edson B. She was born Jan. 2, 1867, in Morgan Co., Ohio. Her father's death took place in that county, in 1868. The mother and daughter came to Montmorency Township in 1870. [Portrait & Biographical History of Whiteside Co 1885]
Joseph Hannah, farmer, section 14, Genesee Township, was born Dec., 14, 1834, in Somerset Co., Pa. His parents, Daniel and Susan (Ferdinand) Hannah, were natives of the same State and county, and were there united in marriage. They had nine children. The father died in Bakersville, Somerset Co., Pa., at the age of 82 years. The mother is 85 years of age, and lives at Cedar Rapids, Iowa. She was born in 1800. After he was eight years of age Mr. Hannah was dependent on his own exertions for support, and he performed labor suited to his age and size in the interest of various farmers. When he reached the age of 16 years he was apprenticed to Adam Kellering, a miller in his native county, with who he remained between two and three years. At the expiration of his obligations he went to Stark Co., Ohio, where he operated as a journeyman miller. His marriage to Emmeline Lineroad took place Oct. 2, 1855, in Start County. The parents of Mrs. Hannah, Frederick and Elizabeth (Deardoff) Lineroad, were respectively natives of Germany and Maryland, and were both descended from German ancestry. They died in Stark Co., Ohio, and at the time of their deaths the father was aged 75 years and the mother's parents were born in New England. Mrs. Hannah was born June 11, 1826. She came with her husband to Genessee Township in 1856. They engaged in farming, and lived some years on rented places. In 1865, Mr. Hannah bought 80 acres of land, on which he began to make improvements. He also built a new house on the place, and has continued the efforts of a provident farmer until his property is much increased in value and affords valuable returns for the expenditure of time and effort. He is engaged to considerable extent in raising stock, and is the owner of swine of valuable breeds. He is a Republican of positive type, and has been active in township offices. Mrs. Hannah is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church. [Transcribed by Marji Turner, Whiteside County History 1885 Pg 417]
A.M. Hansen, Ph.D., President of the Northern Illinois College at Fulton, is a native of Ohio and was born in Gibesonville, Hocking County, March 17, 1850. His parents were Samuel C. and Elizabeth (Kinser) Hansen. His father was born in England his mother in Ohio. Mr. Hansen received his primary education in the common schools, and was next a student at the Ohio Wesleyan Univ. at Delaware OH. He subsequently took a regular course at the National Normal university of Lebanon, of the same State, where he was graduated with the class of 1875, in the classical course. He entered upon the career of educational instructor in Hocking Co., Ohio, where he taught school one year. From there he went to Linn Co., MO where he was employed as teacher about the same length of time. He next accepted the positions of President of Taylorville College and Superintendent of City Schools, of Taylorville IL. After two years devoted to the duties of these offices, he removed to Dixon, IL and was elected President of the Rock River University of that city, which position he held till the spring of 1879, when he came to Fulton to accept the chair of Professor of Natural Sciences and Director of Study of the Northern IL College. As the President was necessarily absent the greater part of the time, the responsibility of couducting the college devolved upon Prof. Hansen from the start. In June of the following year, 1880, he was elected President of the college for the term of eight years, and in the spring of 1884, he was re-elected to the same position for ten additional years. The history of the college for the past six years, while under the management of President Hansen, covers the most prosperous period of its existence. As extensive improvements in the way of buildings were contemplation by the Board of Trustees, in 1884, it was determined to secure the services of President Hansen for the term of ten years in addition to his unexpired term, before the expense of improvements should be incurred. The action of the Trustees in this matter is a well merited compliment to the ability and able management of the President. History and description of this college. Mr. Hansen was married at Blue Mount, Macon Co., IL, Nov. 11, 1877, to Miss Laura Wilcox, daughter of James and Mary (Sims) Wilcox. Mrs. Hansen was born in Morgan Co., IL. Two children have been born of their union, a son and a daughter; Charles Roy. Jan. 8, 1879 and Lena May, May 1, 1882. Professor Hansons portrait (above) is a most important addition to the this Album of Whiteside County. To him is entrusted one of the leading enterprises, not only of Fulton and the county, but of Northern Illinois. He has accomplished a work that will perpetuate his name as one of the benefactors of his generation; and those who have been connected as pupils with the noble institution to which he is devoting the best energies of his prime, will give a hearty welcome to his likeness. Marbles crumble in decay; men forget in the tumultuous haste of successive years, even those to whom they owe the most; but an engraving on the pages of accredited history is imperishable. [Portrait and Biographical Whiteside Co IL 1885 Pg 435]
Charles Hanson, Farmer, section 11, Newton Township, was born in the city of Christiana, Norway, March 19, 1828, the youngest of five children. His father was a mason by trade. He was not the son of wealthy parents, but of poor, hard-working, people. His early education consisted of a few weeks' schooling in the winter. He had no time to go to school then, as boys have nowadays. He had to be diligent when a small boy, doing what he could in order to help support the family; and when he arrived at the age of manhood he saved his earnings in order that he might come to North America, to make his home out in the world, and among strangers. He sailed for the Untied States in the year 1853, and landed at the port of New York, after a voyage of 52 days. He came at once to Illinois, and obtained his first employment of the Chicago & Northwestern Railroad, by which he earned enough money in a short time to send back to his aged father, and his sister and brother, to bring them also to the land of opportunity His mothers was called away by the angels one year before he started for the United States. He worked for the same corporation seven years, and saved his earnings to buy his first 40 acres, after which 40 more, and so on until he now owns a fine estate, comprising 400 acres of land, with good improvements on all four farms. His marriage to Mary Johnson, of Sweden, took place in Fulton, Jan. 13, 1857. They have seven children, two of whom are dead. The two oldest are married. The eldest married Miss Rebecca Jordan, daughter of Hezekiah Jordan. Mrs. Hanson is a hard-working and industrious woman. [Transcribed by Marji Turner Whiteside County History 1885 Pg 547]
OF Albany, IL
Samuel Happer was born in Washington county, Pa., in April, 1813. In May, 1840, he emigrated from his native State and located in Sterling, in this county, where he remained about a year, and then came to Albany. Mr. John D. Mellvaine came with him, and the two under the firm name of Mellvaine & Happer opened a store where the stone building, known as the old Fuller Hotel, stood near the river in the upper part of the town. Mr. Happer was married to Miss Sarah Curry, who was born in Alleghany county, Pa., in July, 1816. Seven children have been the result of this marriage, viz: Mary J., Margaret A., Sarah J., Joseph F., Elizabeth L., John A., and Martha. Mary J. married Dr. A.E. Stockton, and resides in Stockton, California. Joseph F. married Alice Bennett and resides in Albany. John A. is dead. Mr. Happer has been in the business continuously since his residence in Albany, and for a long period of the time, in partnership with Mr. Mcllvaine. In 1854 Wm. Y. Wetzell became connected with the firm, but remained only a short time. Mr. Happer has been supervisor of the town, and held other town offices. He is at present engaged in the dry goods and general mercantile trade in connection with his son, Joseph F., the firm name being S. Rapper & Son. They own their own store building which is a commodious brick one, standing on the corner of Main and Union streets. Mr. Happen is also engaged in farming. [Bent & Wilson History of Whiteside County]
T.A. Hardin, of the banking house of T. A. Hardin & Co., Fulton, was born in McDonough Co., ILL, Feb. 14. 1845, and is the son of Victor M. and Nancy A. (Purdy) Hardin. His parents were born in Kentucky and settled in Illinois in 1831, being among the earliest pioneers of this State. T.A. received a common-school education, and began his business life as Deputy Clerk of McDonough Co., Ill. He remained in that position only a short time when he went to Quincy, where he was employed in the money department of the Farmers & Merchants Insurance Company. He was made cashier and served the company five years. In 1871 he established the banking house of T. A. Hardin & Co., at Blandinsville, IlL, which he conducted till January, 1876, when he sold for profit. He then came to Fulton and established the present banking house of T. A. Hardin & Co., Aug. I, 1876. He had associated with him at that time Messrs. Quinton C. Ward, John H. Hungate and N. ,W. McGee. The last named gentleman sold his interest to Mr. Hardin Aug. 4, 1882. This bank does a general banking business, and represents a capital of $100,000. Mr. Hardin's partners, Ward & Hungate, reside at La Harpe, Ill., while Mr. Hardin is the resident partner and manager of the bank at Fulton. Mr. Hardin was married at Rock Island, Ill., Feb. 7, 1878, to Miss Ida C. Eckert, daughter of George and Caroline (Dennis) Eckert. Mrs. Hardin was born in Fulton, Ill. Her parents were natives of Pennsylvania. Mr. and Mrs. Hardin have one child, Mary Alice, born at Fulton, April 2, 1879: Mr. Hardin is a thoroughgoing business man, whose ability as a financier and unquestioned integrity commands the confidence and respect of his customers and the business public. He was made a Mason in Bodley Lodge, No. I, of Quincy, Ill., in 1866. He is now a member of Fulton City Lodge, No. 189, and of the Fulton Chapter, No. 108, R. A. M., and of Sterling Commandery, K. T. [Portraits & Biographical Pg 254]
AMOS W. HARDY
Has been a life-long resident of Mount Pleasant township, Whiteside county. His natal day was June 27, 1854, and from early boyhood to the present time he has been identified with agricultural interests here. His father, William Hardy, who carries on general farming on section 13, Ustick township, has made his home in the county since 1853 and was a resident of Mount Pleasant township until 1877, when he removed to Morrison. In 1879 he became a landholder of Ustick township by his purchase of one hundred and sixty-two acres, which he still owns. He has since added about sixty acres by a later purchase and almost the entire tract is now under a high state of cultivation, comprising one of the rich farming properties of Whiteside county. Mr. Hardy was a young man of twenty-one years when he arrived here, his birth having occurred in Lincolnshire, England, January 27, 1832. His parents were Isaac and Sarah Hardy, both of whom died in England. William Hardy is their fifth child and has seven brothers and sisters. He was reared to farm life and remained a resident of his native land until 1852, when he came to the United States, spending a year in New York city, whence he removed to Whiteside county in 1853. He has been a stalwart republican since becoming a naturalized American citizen and has served as school trustee but has never been active as an office seeker. In early manhood he married Keziah Richardson, at Unionville. Illinois, and to them were born seven children: Amos W., Richardson I., Wingfield J., Horace G., Olive, Alice J., and Ruby K. Mrs. William Hardy had been previously married, her first husband being Thomas Hardy, who died in Mount Pleasant township. Her death occurred in August, 1869, and William Hardy afterward wedded Alicia Richardson, the widow of William Kennen, who passed away in Mount Pleasant township. The death of Mrs. Alicia Hardy occurred April 2, 1885, in Ustick township.
Amos W. Hardy, whose name introduces this record, was reared to the occupation of farming and in his youth acquired a good English education in the public schools. He was married on the 27th of November, 1878, to Miss Harriet Bowen, a daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Sylvester Bowen. Her father was born September 8, 1805, and came to Illinois in 1853. Here his death occurred November 16, 1876. His wife, who was born May 1, 1817, died February 8, 1889. They were the parents of five children: Randall, who is married and lives in Lyndon; William, of Denison, Iowa, who is married and has five children; Mrs. Myra Loucks, of Traverse City, Michigan, who has one daughter; Mrs. Helen Tuller, who died leaving a daughter, who is now a resident of Lyndon; and Mrs. Hardy. Mr. and Mrs. Bowen were earnest, consistent Christian people and held membership in the Methodist Episcopal church.
The marriage of Mr. and Mrs. Hardy has been blessed with four children: Ralph W., born September 1, 1879, resides at home and follows the machinist's trade. He is a member of the Modern Woodmen. R. Alice, born October 24, 1881, is now teaching in Mount Pleasant township and she belongs to the Royal Neighbors. Sylvia K., born November 20, 1883, is at home. Ross L., born December 20, 1886, is an engineer. All the children yet remain under the parental roof. The family home is a fine farm of one hundred and ten acres situated in Mount Pleasant township. It belongs to his father, but A. W. Hardy has entire management of the place and in the cultivation of the fields is meeting with good success. He belongs to the Modern Woodmen Camp and his wife is a member of the Royal Neighbors and also of the Methodist Episcopal church. Mr. Hardy gives his political allegiance to the republican party and has served in several of the township offices, wherein he has discharged his duties with promptness and fidelity. [Whiteside County History - by Wm. Davis 1908]
Of Portland Township
Hiram Harmon was a native of Berkshire county Massachusetts, and came to Portland with Guy Ray. He was a wagon maker by trade, and was probably the first in the county. He was interested in the Lyndon mill race, and lost all he had at that time. On leaving Portland he went to Round Grove, in Hopkins township, where he lived for several years, and then went to Fenton, and built a saw mill on Rock creek. Mr. Harmon was County commissioner for some time, and in 1860 was Supervisor of Fenton township. In 1858 he was struck by lightning, from which he did not recover for a number of years. He is now residing in Colorado. [Bent & Wilson History of Whiteside County IL 1877]
John Harpham, dealer in harness and saddlery hardware, Third Street, Sterling, was born in Madison Co., N. Y., Oct. 27, 1828, being the seventh in a family of ten children, -- four sons and six daughters. His parents were Septibah and Jane (McAlpine) Harpham, natives respectively of England and Scotland. the senior Harpham was a farmer by occupation, and died Jan. 11, 1840: the widow survived until 1863. John was reared on the farm and in the common school until 19 years of age, when he left home and went to Chenango Forks to learn the harness trade, remaining a year and a half. He then engaged in the same business for himself at Bridgeport, N. Y., for one and a half years. Then he sold out and for about three years attended the Fulton and Cazenovia Seminaries, a portion of this time teaching school. Then he married and settled in Fayetteville, Onondaga Co., N. Y., where he followed his trade a year and a half. Selling out, he came to Sterling, since which time he has been successfully engaged in the business stated at the beginning of this sketch, both wholesale and retail. In this line he is the leading man in Sterling. Mr. Harpham is a Republican and a Christian gentleman, belonging to the Congregational Church at Sterling. He was married May 22, 1853, to Nancy Terwilliger, a native of Onondaga Co., N. Y., and they have three children, - Bertha A., Fanny E. and John L. Mrs. H. is also a member of the Congregational Church. [Contributed by Marji Turner - Portraits & Biographical]
DAVID G. HARRISON
Of Union Grove Township
David G. Harrison, farmer on section 23 Union Grove Township, is a native citizen of Illinois, having been born June 21, 1842, in Beardstown. He is of English descent, his parents, Thomas and Nancy (Gerlick) Harrison, hagving been born in England, where they were married. They came to the United States about 1841, and at once located in Beardstown, whence they removed after a residence of two years to Union Grove Township. They both died there. Their children were named John S., Eliza A. Charles W., Maria, David G., Mary H, Emma J., Sarah L. and Charlotte E. Mr Harrison is the youngest son, and he was an inmate of teh parental home until its relations were dissolved by the death of the father. He succeeded to the heritage of the homestead and has continued to make it the scene of his efforts. His estate inclues 238 acres, and he has placed 200 acres under creditable tillage. In political inclinations, Mr. Harrison affiliates with the party of Prohibition. His marriage to Elizabeth W. Thompson took place in Ustick Township, Oct 6, 1875. Their children have been four in number, and were named Otto W., Jeanie B., Bessie and Feemie G. Bessie died in infancy. The parents of Mrs. Harrison, William and Jane (Burns) Thompson, were natives of Scotland, and they had eight children named Elizabeth W., Anna B., William G., Archibald T., Robert B., Maggie J. Hugh D. and Mary J. Mrs. Harrison was born in the city of Glasgow, Scotland Jan 19, 1848. She and her husband are members of the Baptist Church. [Portrait & Biographical Record of Whiteside County 1885 - Pg 338]
FRANCIS MARION HARRISON
of Genesee Township
Francis M. Harrison, farmer, section 36, Union Grove Twp., wsa born Jan. 1, 1839 in Fayette Co., Ohio. He accompanied his parents, Michael and Rachel (Rapert) Harrison to Whiteside Co. when he was 12 years of age. His father was born in TN and his mother in KY. They were respectively of German & English ancestry. They settled in Union Grove Twp. in 1852, and the father died Dec. 1, 1863. The demise of the mother occurred Jan. 28, 1878. Following are their 11 children - George, Lucy L., William, John, Andrew J., Rachel, Michael Jr., Louisa J., Francis M., Henry and Isabella. Mr. Harrison received his educational training in the common schools of Ohio and Illinois, and he has been a continuous resident of the twp. of Union Grove, and he is one of its prominent agriculturists. His farm on section 36 contains 187 acres of land, which is under good cultivation. Politically he is a Republican and he has held various local official postions. The marriage of Mr. Harrison to Amanda M. Bell was celebrated Nov. 8, 1861, in the township of Union Grove, and they have become the parents of five children - Eli S., Augusta A., Leona S., Clara B., and Cora M. Mrs. Harrison was born Feb. 13, 1846 in Logan Co OH the only child of Joseph & Harriet (Wells) Bell. [Portraits & Biographical History of Whiteside 1885 Pg. 246]
JAMES H. HARRISON
Of Genesee Township
James H. Harrison is a farmer on section 34, Genesee twp., and a native citizen of the same Township, where he was born Nov. 23, 1842. Mark Harrison, his father, was born May 6, 1804, in Yorkshire, England where he belonged to the laboring class. He spent the years of his life previous to the age of 21 in his native country, where he obtained the rudiments of his education. On becoming the master of his own time and efforts, he came to America, and for a time, located in Canada. He spent some years in the vocation of a sailor, after which he came to Chicago. The place then consisted of a dozen log structures, and he secured a claim which is now included in one of the principal parts of the city, and which was situated on the north side of the river. He was in the employ of Captain Cook, for whom the county where Chicago is located was named, working for him some years. He received land for his pay, which was in village lots, and they were then very cheap. He held title to 160 acres of land in all, but he suffered great annoyance from the Indians, who were there in great numbers, idle, shiftless and altogether mischievous. At one time they burned his cabin and ll his household goods, with $250 in cash. He was so disgusted with the condition of things and the general outlook, that he traded his property at a great sacrifice to obtain release from what then seemed hopeless anarchy, receiving in exchange a few village lots in Fulton, Whiteside County, accompanied by glowing reports of the certainties of that place from its location on the river and natural advantages.
He had business relations with Joseph Mush, and together they came to Whiteside County. Arriving at Fulton, they found that the entire value of the villag elots aforesaid was all concentrated in the gorgeous coloring that had been a concomitant to the exchange referred to. Fulton was a city on paper, with prospects as hazy as the river mists which hung above its vacancy. Mr. Harrison at once and forever abandoned his property there and all hopes concerning it. he encountered Hezekiah Brink of Sterling and, in compliance with his request went to Empire and assisted that gentleman in the erection of one of the first grist-mills built in the county. He remained there three years. Meanwhile he secured a claim in what is now Genesee Twp., where he was one of the first landholders. He paid Mr. Brink $50 for his title, and when the land came into market he purchased it of the U.S. Government at $1.25 per acre. In 1836 he began the work of improving the land. He was married in 1838 in Genesee IL to Mary Taylor. She was born in N.C. and came thence with a colony that located in Carroll County and lived there until she was married. Mark Harrison died Nov. 15, 1877 in Genesee Twp. and was 73 years of age. His wife who still survives is 82 years old. Mr. Harrison is the second oldest of five children, and he continued under parental authority until he attained his majority. Feb. 9, 1864 he enlisted in Co. G, 56th Regt. IL Vol. Inf. The command was assigned to the corps of General Thomas, and the only action in which the regiment was engaged was that which resulted in the surrender of General Johnston. Mr.Harrison obtained an honorable discharge at Memphis TN in Sept. 1865. He returned home and located a claim of 80 acres of land, which he has since improved and placed in excellent agricultural condition.He has one of the finest and most valuable farms in the township, and an elegant residence on a beautiful location.He is a skillful and thrifty farmer and has increased his real estate to 183 acres. His marriage to Julia Fitzgerald took place sept. 30, 1865 at Sterling. She is the daughter of Patric and mary (Barry) Fitzgerald. Her parents wer born and married in Ireland, and celebrated their union by coming immediately to the U.S. After a residence of some years in N.Y. they came to DuPage Co IL where Mrs. Harrison was born Jan. 23, 1850. Her parents had 11 children and she is the ninth in order of birth. The family came to whiteside County when she was still an infant, and she was reared on her father's farm in Genesee Twp. Her mother died when she was 8 years old. She is herself the mother of four children - William H. born Sept. 4, 1867; Joshua L. born Oct. 2, 1869, Francis H. and an infant are deceased. Mr. Harrison is a Republican in his political views and relations. [History of Whiteside Co. Portraits & Biographical Pg. 652]
JOSEPH E. HARRISON
Joseph E. Harrison is a farmer of Genesee Township and is located on Section 34, where he was born Sept. 25, 1849. His father, Mark Harrison, was one of the earliest settlers in Genesee Twp., whither he came in 1836. He married Mary Taylor. Genesee Twp. was in the earliest of its pioneer days, and when Mark Harrison married his wife they began life with a joint cash capital of $15.50 the former amount being the individual property of the wife and the latter of the husband. But they cooked and ate their wedding dinner in their own log cabin. They had no regular extension table, but in lieu of that there were two long pins driven into auger holes in one of the logs of which the house was built, and a board lying thereon answered every purpose. They sat on three legged stools, and their fed was fresh straw. Some years passed befoe the little home had either tables or chairs. In one particular record the mother is unique. She was born in NC Sept. 10, 1803 and losing her parents became housekeeper for her brother, who was a widower with two children. He sold his property, and his sister and children set out for the state of IL. The children were nine and five years old and the party had two light wagons with the household goods. The journey of 1500 miles was accomplished on foot.
The father and brother remaining behind to settle up his business, the father died suddenly with the cholera and the children were brought up by Mrs. Harrison. They are both deceased. The chief drawback to the rapid advancement of Whiteside County, in the pioneer days, was the ruinously low price of produce. At one time, Mr. Harrison Sr. sold wheat at 25 cents a bushel to Hezekiah Brink, in payment for a colt for which he paid $30. At another he took two fat cows to Galena to sell. One brought $5 and he bought two five-pound bunches of cotton-yarn with the money. This was combined with home-spun wool, and woven into cloth for clothes for the family.
Mr. Harrison of this sketch is the youngest of five children. The father maintained a private teacher for his children two years, and it was during this period that Mr. Harrison began his education. He was thoroughly trained in agricultural knowledge on his father's farm, and soon after attaining his majority he assumed the management of the homestead esteate, and superintended the property several years.
He was married Sept. 23, 1873 in the city of Morrison to Margaret, daughter of C.B. and Jane (Loudon) Peugh. She was born April 14, 1854, in the township where she has always lived. After marriage Mr.a nd Mrs. Harrison lived on the homestead as he had done previous to that event. By an arrangement with his father, a portion was set apart to him where he built a house. On the death of his father (Nov. 15, 1877) he bought the claims of the other heirs, and is now the proprietor of the whole property, including 120 acres, all of which is under excellent improvements, and supplied with the best type of farm buildings. Mr. Harrison is an earnest Republican, as was his father before him and he has held several local offices. He and his wife belong to the Christian Church in which he is a Trustee. The children of the family are - Lillie B. Nov. 3, 1875; Mary J. Dec. 9, 1877; Charles B. and Bertha J. twins, March 15, 1880; Cynthia L. Jan. 6 1883. [History of Whiteside Co. Portraits & Biographical Pg. 768]
Of Genesee Township
Mark Harrison was born in Yorkshire England May 6, 1804. He was put on board a vessel, and became a sailor when quite young. He emigrated to the United States in 1826, and remained in New York and Rhode Island until 1832, employed as a sailor. He afterwards went to Chicago, and was engaged on a steamer in the Lake trade. In the spring of 1836 he settled in Whiteside county, and worked for Mr. Brink in digging out the mill pit at Empire. He made the claim of the Twin Grove property and the adjoining prairie, in partnership with Joe Mush in 1837. He married Mrs. Mary Taylor. Children: Elizabeth born October 18 1840, James H born November 23 1842, Sarah Ann born March 31 1847, Joshua K born September 3 1846; Joseph E. born September 25 1849, Joshua K. is dead; the others are living near their parents. The grandchildren number 27.
Mrs. Harrison was born in NC, September 10 1803. She lost both her parents, and lived with her brother keeping house for him after the death of his wife. The brother sold his property in NC and sent his two children, one nine and the other 5 years old to Illinois,under the care of their aunt. They walked the whole distance - fifteen hundred miles.
Her brother, remaining to dispose of the rest of his property, died suddenly with the cholera, and so the children were raised by their aunt. The niece became the wife of Edward Harris, and died in Sterling several years ago; the nephew went to Oregon, and was killed by the Indians. When Mr. and Mrs. Harrison were married , they cooked and ate their wedding dinner at their own cabin. They had no table, bed or chairs; a board, laid on two pins driven in auger holes in one of the logs of their cabin was their table, the seats were three legged stools; the bed was straw which was covered with a sheet. Several years intervened before the luxuries of a table and chairs could be indulged in. The party with which Mrs. Harrison came from NC carried all their goods on pack horses. The pack saddle was made of wood, and fitted the back of the horse. When Mr. Harrison was married he had just fifty cents, and his wife had fifteen dollars, all of which was invested, on joint account in the purchase of wheat, oats, and corn for seeding purposes. Mr. Harrison once took two fat cows to Galena to sell. He sold one for $5.00 and invested the whole amount in the purchase of two five-pound bunches of cotton yarn. Mrs. Harrison wove this into cloth, which constituted the only fabric worn by the family. Mr. Harrison sold Mr. Brink wheat at twenty-five cents and took as pay a three year old colt valued at $30.00. Joe Mush was also an Englishman. He came West with Mark Harrison, and as partners they made the claim of the Twin Grove and the adjoining prairie. He had some prairie broken in 1837 by James D. Bingham. He left and went East, and has not been heard from for many years. [Bent & Wilson History of Whiteside County Page 225-226]
WILLIAM H. HARRISON
Of Tampico, IL
William H. Harrison, a merchant at Tampico, was born Dec. 20, 1856, in Fenton Township, Whiteside Co., Ill. His parents, Samuel and Betsey (Pope) Harrison, were born in England, where they were farmers. They came to Whiteside County, and the father died in Fenton Township in 1866. In 1874 the mother and children went to Vancouver's Island, B. C. Mr. Harrison returned to Whiteside County in 1866. He obtained a position as clerk in the employment of Isaac Kahn, in whose interests he operated 18 months. In 1878 he came to Tampico and formed a partnership with R. Davis in the sale of general merchandise. At the end of 18 months their connection terminated, Mr. Harrison becoming sole proprietor. His business is in a prosperous condition. In political opinion and relations, Mr. Harrison is a Republican. He is at present a member of the Village Board. Dec. 25, 1883, he was married to Sadie, daughter of Thomas A. and Mary (Varieri) Glassburn (NOTE: Whiteside Co Records shows 24 Dec 1882 Lic.# 5952). Her parents were born, reared and married in Ohio, and came to Illinois in 1856, since which time they have resided in Whiteside County. They now live in Tampico Township, where Mrs. Harrison was born, and acquired a good education. At 16 she commenced teaching in the primary department of the village school at Tampico, where she was employed six years. [Portrait & Biographical Record of Whiteside County 1885 - Pg 192; NOTE: **William H. Harrison is buried in the Tampico Memorial Cemetery. He Died 27 April 1916]
Of Hopkins Township
Joel Harvey was a native of New York State, and was born February 20, 1812. On the 24th of April, 1834, he married Miss Rachel Cole, also a native of the Empire State. Their children have been: Samuel C., born February 10, 1836; Elizabeth A., born March 4, 1839; Phoebe A., born January 26, 1842; Mary E., born November 5, 1847; Martha, born January 27, 1850; Julia A., born January 1,1853; and Alice R., born January 13,1857. Elizabeth A. died April 27, 1844, and Julia A. December 16,1853. Samuel C. married Miss Margaret A. Dickey in December, 1865; children, Mary A., Samuel J., Harvey, and three boys who died in infancy. Samuel C. Harvey enlisted in Company B, 13th regiment Illinois, volunteers. Appointed sergeant in his company. He carried a gun all through the service, and never failed to fall into line at roll-call or at the tap of the drum, participating in all the battles and marches in which his regiment took a part. As one of the brave and faithful soldiers in the Union army from Whiteside county, Samuel Harvey deserves due commendation. Phoebe A. married G. G. Keefer; children, Clara R., Jennie, and Henry. Mary E. married Abram Waldron; children, Joel and Albert. Martha married John F. Strock; children, Edith, who died in infancy, and Willoughby C. Alice R. married Edgar Galt, June 7, 1877.
Mr. Harvey learned the wagonmaker's trade in his native State, and followed it more or less after his arrival in Whiteside county. When he came to Round Grove he bought the claim of Caleb Plummer, paying $1,500 for it, and lived in the log cabin built by Plummer. When he first came to Illinois he settled near Ottawa, but the next spring came to this county, making all of his way from New York State to Whiteside by wagon and horses. The season he arrived here was very wet, compelling him to go around by the way of Elkhorn Grove in order to cross the Elkhorn creek, there being no bridge south of that point. The roads were very few, and all the small streams and the sloughs almost impassable. To be mired two or three times a day was no unusual occurrence. After Mr. Harvey had settled at Round Grove and built his sawmill there, John Wentworth, who had received the appointment of Mail Agent under the administration of Gen. Jackson, called upon him with a view of establishing a mail route from Sterling to Fulton. Both of the gentlemen took a seat upon a log by the mill, and it was there arranged to establish the route, Mr. Wentworth agreeing that Mr. Harvey should be appointed Postmaster at Round Grove, upon condition that he would make a road, and bridge the sloughs from Sterling to Round Grove. Mr. Harvey agreed to the proposition, and, completing his part of the agreement, received the appointment as Postmaster. He not only kept the postoffice, but sufficient accommodation for both man and beast. The mail was carried from Dixon to Fulton in a two-horse wagon, by A. L. Porter, afterwards for many years Sheriff of Lee county. Mr. Harvey gave up the postoffice in 1841, and moved to Sterling. It was then abolished. Mr. Harvey was one of those energetic, persevering, vigorous, and irrepressible men whom no opposition or difficulty can dishearten. On the contrary, the more difficulties and embarrassments they have to encounter, the more they are determined to surmount them. Mr. Harvey has done more in opening up farms, laying out roads, building mills, stores, and factories, than any other man in Whiteside county. His last great work was the digging of the artesian well in Sterling. He died in Sterling, September 3, 1875. [Bent-Wilson History of Whiteside County]
OF Coloma Township
James Hawley was born in Oneida County, New York, March 8, 1809. He learned the carpenter's trade. In 1830 he came west, and engaged in teaching school. After marrying he returned to New York, and in 1835, with his family, again returned to the west via the lakes. He visited the lands along Rock River from Dixon to Prophetstown, and across the country to Union Grove, but found the lands all claimed. January 1, 1836, having compromised with certain parties who claimed the land, he made a claim at Hawley's point, just east of the limits of Coloma. He was so closely identified with the early interest of Coloma that we present this sketch. Mr Hawley's father and family settled in 1838. At this time all the lands between Dixon and Prophetstown were claimed by actual settlers or non-resident speculators, who held the lands at a high price. Sometimes the claimant's titles were disregarded, which usually caused trouble. A gentleman who resided in Harrisburgh had a claim in Mr. Hawley's neighborhood, upon which an emigrant settled, erected a cabin, and broke several acres of land. He was promptly notified from the north side of the river to vacate, else upon a certain day a force would call on him and throw his cabin into the river. The man gathered his available friends, from twenty-five to fifty, and prepared to defend what he considered his rights. At the specified time an armed force of from one to two hundred men appeared. The weaker force were made prisoners for a short time, but not roughly treated, and the cabin consigned to the river. [Extracted from Bent & Wilson History of Whiteside County Page 132]
WILLIAM D. HAYES
Malevern, Clyde Twp. IL
William D. Hayes, merchant and Postmaster at Malvern, was born in West Brandywine Township, Chester Co., Pa., Oct. 25, 1830. Thomas and Ann (Davis) Hayes, his parents, were also born in that State and were of English ancestry. Henry Hayes, his earliest traceable ancestor, came to America as a refugee from British law, in 1690, or thereabouts. He was in humble circumstances in his native country and was employed as a teamster. An unguarded motion with his whip resulted in a run-away, by which the grandees were well shaken up and the horses cleared themselves from the clumsy state carriage, and he was obliged to flee for his life. He secreted himself in the heath until opportunity served to get away and he sailed for the New World, landing where is now Chester, on the Delaware River. He sought the headwaters of White Clay Creek and spent seven years in a small cabin, living the life of a hermit, the wilderness being then unbroken. Samuel Hayes, his great-grandfather, located in East Malborough Township, Chester County, and was surrounded by Tories during the Revolutionary War, who made him much trouble on account of his Whig principles. His grandfather on his mother's side, William Davis, died in Chester Co., Pa., Jan. 9, 1863, aged 82 years he was a "smith" (or blacksmith) nearly all his life, engaged in the manufacture of edged tools, with the hand hammer on a common anvil. Thomas Hayes was a mechanic in early life and later became a farmer. He died in the township of Newlin, Chester Co., Pa., in March, 1867, aged 60 years. His widow died March 6, 1878, aged 73 years.
Mr. Hayes was reared by his parents, with whom he remained until the death of his father. He had obtained a good education and when he was 21 years of age he began teaching and followed that calling 12 years. During that period (April 29, 1857) he was married in the city of Philadelphia, to Martha E., daughter of Thomas and Martha ( O'Niel ) Johnson, who was born in Chester County. Her parents were farmers and were of German and Irish extraction. Both are now deceased. Mrs. Hayes was born in Willistown Tp,. Chester Co., Pa., Sept. 27, 1833. Five children born to Mr. and Mrs. Hayes are all living. They were born in the following order: Anna M., born Feb. 9, 1860; Ira T., June 8, 1867; May K, Aug. 5, 1868; Elsie T., Nov. 23, 1873; Clarence J. Sept. 30, 1875.
Mr. and Mrs. Hayes located after their marriage in Newlin, where they purchased a small property, and Mr. Hayes was there engaged some time in teaching. Ten years later they went to the township of West Pikeland, in the same county, where they operated as farmers lwo years, and went thence to Chester Valley, where they resided a year. They removed thence to Delaware County in the same State. Later they made another transfer, to Montogomery Co., Pa. After a stay there of three years, they came to Clyde Township, reaching their destination Feb. 12, 1876. Mr. Hayes at once established his mercantile relations and has since continued in trade. In December, 1877, he was appointed Postmaster at Malvern, of which he is the founder and was the chief means of procuring the establishment of the mail route. He is the first Postmaster. He is a Republican and has acted eight years as Justice of the Peace, has also held various other offices. [Portraits & Biographical Pg 233]
Of Hume Township
Allen Hays, general farmer, section 15, Hume Township, was born Oct. 26, 1825 in Venango Co., PA. His father, John P. Hays, was a native of Maryland, and was a farmer. Mr. Hays was married March 14, 1850 to Esther Willing, and they became the parents of nine children; Maria married Jacob Seth, and lives on her father's homestead; Lorena J. married Joseph Brimmer, a farmer of Hume Township; Alice resides at home; the other children are deceased. Mr. Hays was a farmer in Venango County until the fall of 1882. In that season he removed to WHiteside County, settling on a farm of 120 acres in Hume Township. He became the owner of the property in 1864, at which time it was wholly uncultivated. After purchase he rented the place until he became its occupant. In political faith Mr. Hayes is an earnest Republican, and he has held several offices. [Portrait & Biographical 1885 Pg 556]
ALBERT S. HAZARD
Albert S. Hazard, a farmer of Lyndon Township, was born in the same township, April 21, 1846. He was brought up by his parents, and in 1865 engaged with Martin Conyne to learn the trade of blacksmith, working under his directions a year and a half. He returned to his father's farm in 1867 and built a shop for his independent business. He passed two years working on the farm and at his trade, and in 1869 formed a partnership with James Roach, of the village of Lyndon, and they operated jointly as blacksmiths a few months, when he sold to his partner and returned to the homestead. In 1876 he built a shop in Lyndon and resumed work at his trade. In 1878 he went to Harlan, Shelby Co., Iowa, where he pursued his business as a blacksmith until 1880, when he came back to Lyndon. He worked as a blacksmith in the employment of the paper mill company at that place, a few months after which he opened a shop for general blacksmithing. Mr. Hazard was married Aug. 20, 1865, to Dora Bartholomew. She was born in Medina Co., Ohio. Elsie, Jennie, Edward L., Olivia and Celia May are the names of the children of Mr. and Mrs. Hazard. [Portrait & Biographical History of Whiteside Co 1885]
David Hazzard was born in Chenango county, New York, March 9, 1804, and was married to Miss Altheda C. Wolcott; February 14, 1827. The children of this marriage were: William B., born January, 1828; Harmon, born November, 1829; Olivia W., born April 5, 1831, and Altheda C. M., born December 15,1833.
Mrs. Hazard died in January, 1834, and in September of that year,
Mr. Hazard married Miss Lenora Reynolds. The following are the children: John W., born May 31, 1835; Elisha H., born December 8, 1837; Eliza, born September 25,1842; Hannah, born February 27, 1845; Albert S., born April 21, 1846; Edmund B., born February 20, 1849; David A., born June 29, 1851, and Anna A., born June 5, 1853. Hannah died in infancy; Elisha H. died March 27, 1847, and David A., March 6, 1852. William B. married Miss Nancy Conyne; children, Florence, Emma, Ashur, Jay R. and Elizabeth. Harmon married Miss Sarah Roberts; one child, Daniel W; Mr. and Mrs. Hazard were divorced, and Mr. Hazard afterwards married Miss Mary Buchanan; children, Elisha H., Lola and Emma. Olivia W. married A. J. Grover; one child, Nena A. Altheda C. M. married Charles C. Upton; children, Caroline C., David E., and John; Mr. and Mrs. Upton were divorced, and Mrs. Upton afterwards married Louis Barter; one child, Bird. John W. married Miss Sarah Gould; children, Jessie F., and John; reside in Lyndon. Eliza married Luther L. Scott; children, Ella C., Albert C., Sarah L., and Leroy B. Albert S. married Miss Dora Bartholomew; children, Elsie, Jennie L., and Edmund; lives in Lyndon. Anna married Fred R. Decker; one child, Anna. Upon leaving his native home in New York State, Mr. Hazard went first to Pennsylvania where he remained until 1837, when he came to Lyndon, and lived at first in a house built by Dr. A. Smith. He afterwards made a claim and put up a cabin about three miles northeast of Lyndon, and there followed the occupation of a farmer for thirty years. The cabin in due time gave way to a fine residence, and the open prairie to well tilled, fruitful fields. During the time he was upon this farm he was elected Treasurer of Whiteside county, and discharged the duties of that important office ably and acceptably for eight years. In 1875 he moved to Lyndon, and embarked in the mercantile business, in connection with his sons. He is one of the staunch pioneers of Whiteside county. [Extracted from Bent & Wilson History of Whiteside County Page 273-274]
JOHN W. HAZARD
John W. Hazard, one of the substantial citizens of Lyndon Township, is the son David and Leonora (Reynolds) Hazard, whom as full a personal narration as it is possible to obtain is presented in another place. Mr. Hazard was born May 31, 1835, in Manfield, Tioga Co., Pa. In 1837 his parents came Whiteside County, coming with a pair of horses and a wagon and driving through the entire route. The son grew to man's estate on the homestead on which his parents located, and obtained a fair education the public schools. At 20 he entered the employment of Turley & King, at Round Grove, to buy grain. He operated in their interest one year, then formed a partnership with D. K. Lincoln and J. B. Bush. The company erected a warehouse at Round Grove and Mr. Hazard conducted the business buying and shipping grain one year. The firm desolved, and he resumed farming, in which avenue of employment he has since operated, with the exceçeption of eight years, when he rented his farm and was himself engaged in grain and lumber, also coal and lime, etc.; was also engaged in the construction of the water works at Lyndon, in which company he was a stockholder He is a useful and honored citizen, and enjoys to an unusual degree the confidence and esteem of his fellows. He is Supervisor of Lyndon, and when the village of Lyndon was first organized he was made Chairman of the Board of Trustees. He has also served in the capacity of Town Clerk. He was a stockholder in the Lyndon Hydraulic Manufacturing Company, and one of the trustees. He has been an uncompromising Republican from the formation of the parts ,and has pursued an undeviating course, casting his first Presidential vote for John C. Fremont and for every nominee of the Republican party since.
Mr. Hazard was married in December, 1856, to Sarah L., daughter of Thomas C. and Sarah (Lucke) Gould, She was born March 19, 1836, in Lexington, Middlesex Co., Mass. Mr. and Mrs. Hazard have two children, Jessie S. and John G. [Portrait & Biographical History of Whiteside Co 1885]
BACK -- HOME
© Copyright Genealogy Trails