OF Coloma Twp
Frank Hodges, one of the most progressive, enterprising and energetic farmers and stock raisers of Whiteside county, has spent his entire life here, his birth occuring in Coloma township, March 12, 1859. His father, Francis W. Hodges, now an honored and highly esteemed citizen of Rock Falls, was born in Massachusetts, August 11, 1824, a son of David and Clarissa (Jones) Hodges, and was reared by his aunt. He was married February 6, 1855, to Miss Mary Stewart, who was born in New York March 19, 1839, a daughter of James and Jane Stewart, and by this union four children were born, namely: Joseph W., born March 19, 1857, is a resident of Rock Falls; Frank, our subject, is the next in order of birth; Jenny L., born October 13, 186i, is the wife of Y. C. Stevenson, of Cleveland, Ohio; and J. Stewart, born March 12, 1875, lives at home with his parents. It was in 1840 that the father came to Whiteside county and subsequently he purchased a farm of ninety acres in Coloma township, to the improvement and cultivation of which he devoted his energies during the greater part of his life. There he continued to make his home until his removal to Rock Falls in 1895.
Frank Hodges remained with his parents until reaching man's estate, acquiring an excellent knowledge of agricultural pursuits, and receiving a good practical education in the common schools. On the 11th of November, 1889, he was united in marriage with Miss Vora Thompson, a daughter of R. M. Thompson, of Morrison, whose sketch appears on another page of this work. Our subject is now in partnership with his father-in-law in the stock business and has control of Mr. Thompson's land, amounting to about nineteen hundred acres. Annually he feeds from two hundred and seventy-five to three hundred head of cattle and about five hundred hogs, and as a stock raiser and general farmer is meeting with most gratifying results. He is a man of keen discrim- ination and sound judgment and generally carries forward to successful completion whatever he undertakes. In his political affiliations he is a Democrat, and in his social relations is a member of the Modern Woodmen. [Whiteside Biographical Record 1900 Pg 446]
HENRY H. HOLBROOK
OF Genesee Township
Henry H. Holbrook was born May 24 1815 at Cornish NH. He married Caroline Ross April 11 1833. He came west and settled in Genesee Grove December 5 1838. Mr Holbrook was a practical farmer, but worked at shoemaking in the winter season, and when not otherwise employed. Children: Jane, Abigal, John, Silas, Sarah, Alzina, Emeline, Watson, Eliza, Mary, Isaac, Adeline and Nancy. Silas, Alzina, Emeline and Nancy are dead. Mr. Holbrook first settled at a spring in the Grove, but after 4 years removed to where he now lives. As late as 1838, the cabins were all built in the timber. The belief was universal that no person could live on the prairies on account of the severe winters. The father and mother of the subject of this sketch came from Steuben county NY. They travelled in a buggy drawn by one horse while the family and goods were conveyed by two horses. They started in October 1838, and came to Erie PA where Mr. Holbrook shipped one large box on a sail vessel. After traveling five weeks, making over one thousand miles, they arrived at Genesee Grove in December 1838 having suffered severly from the cold and exposure. Edward Richardson accompanied them and traveled the whole distance on foot. The vessel on which the box was shipped was wrecked, but a portion of the goods was received about a year afterwards. The father and mother were both old at the time they came west and died a long time ago. A man calling himself Sharp, squatted in a vacant cabin in the neighborhood in the winter of 1838-39. One of the hogs belonging to one of the settlers was missing one day, and the proof was conclusive that Sharp was the guilty person. The settlers went to his cabin, compelled him to hitch his horses to his wagon, while they loaded his goods, and sent him off. He was never heard of afterwards. [Extracted from Bent & Wilson History of Whiteside County Page 229]
GEORGE W. HOLCOMB
Of Morrison, IL
George W. Holcomb, liveryman at Morrison, was born Aug. 18, 1848 in the township of Woodbine, Jo Daviess Co., IL. Newell Holcomb, his father was born Aug. 15, 1819 on an island in Lake Champlain, which belongs to the state of Vermont and which constitutes Grand Isle County. Louisa (Kellogg) Holcomb, the mother, was born April 4, 1823, in Chautauqua Co. NY. The former was one of the earliest settlers in the State of IL, and he went in 1839 to Jo Daviess County, walking the entire distance from Springfield to Galena. The mother died in Woodbine Twp. Sept. 7, 1849, leaving two children, the eldest of whom, Maria L., married Sidney Willison of Jo Daviess Co. IL. Mr. Holcomb was little more than a year old when his mother died. He was brought up on the farm of his father, and bred to the business of an agriculturist. On reaching an age suitable to settling in life,he bought 40 acres of land in the same township and operated there until the spring of 1882, when he opened a restaurant at Savanna, Carroll Co. IL. After passing a year there in that business, he transfered his interests to Sterling. He maintained a restaurant there but a short time, however, removing in 1883 to Morrison. He opened a grocery, in which he was engaged six months, when he sold out and interested hiself in the business in which he is now occupied. He keeps about eight horses and livery equipments in proportion. Mr. Holcomb was married May 13, 1878 at Lyons Iowa to Mary S., daughter of William and Mary Tyson. She was born in clyde Township, Whiteside County. They have one daughter, Lillie M. born in Woodbine Twp. Dec. 28, 1879. [Portraits & Biographical Whiteside Co 1885 Pg 225]
James Holleran, proprietor of the "Robinson House," the only first-class hotel in Fulton, was born in County Clare, Ireland, Dec. 26, 1843, and is the son of P.M. and Catharine Holleran. He emigrated with his parents to Canada West in 1848, and in 1855 came to Fulton, Ill. He engaged in steamboating as cabin boy and worked his way up to the position of Captain. He followed steamboating some 12 years and was known as an expert pilot and trustworthy officer. During the late war he was employed in the United States Naval service on the lower river. He built and operated a ferry between Fulton and Lyons for some years. He also conducted a bus line at Fulton. He was elected and served as City Marshal. In 1865 he engaged in the hardware business with John Downs, which connection continued till 1878, when he sold out and went to Orleans, Harlan Co., Neb. He built the "Central House" at Orleans and kept it two years, when he sold out and went to Red Cloud, where he kept the "Valley House" till 1880. He then removed to Cascade, Iowa, and kept the "Holleran House" till the fall of 1884, when he removed to Fulton and purchased the "Robinson House". Mr. Holleran has made many important improvements in the house and premises, and now has a comfortable and tasteful establishment, complete and first-class in all its appointments. He also has a good livery in connection with the house. He was married at Fulton, May 28, 1865, to Miss Adelia Connor, daughter of P.H. and Ellen Connor. Mrs. H. was born at Dundas, Canada. They have four children, one son and three daughters: Minnie E., Frank L., Eva and Maudie I. Mr. and Mrs. Holleran are members of the Catholic Church. In politics Mr. H. is a Democrat.
Mr. Holleran still owns his fine farm of 160 acres in Harlan Co. Neb., valuable city property in Red Cloud, a fine residence and five acres of land at Cascade, besides 20 lots. He is an enterprising business man, and being ably assisted by his intelligent and energetic wife, is bound to make the "Robinson House" a favorite stopping place with the traveling public. [Contributed by Debbie Thormahlen - Portraits & Biographical Whiteside County IL 1885 Pg. 230]
EDWARD I. HOLLEY
From boyhood days to the present E. I. Holley has been a resident of Neosho county and is familiar with the history of its development as it has emerged from frontier conditions to take a leading place among the counties of this commonwealth. He has been not only a witness of our growth and development, but has also aided in the advancement of the county and is now engaged in merchandising in Erie as a dealer in general hardware and farm implements. He was born in Ingham county, Michigan, October 13, 1858, his parents being Joseph and Irene (Graves) Holley, native of New York. They are now residents of Erie. The father followed farming throughout his business career but is now living retired. In the spring of 1869 he came with his family to Neosho county from Whiteside county, Illinois. They lived in a small house, ten by ten feet, with cottonwood roof, and the boards warped so badly that our subject could crawl out between them. There was no floor and a piece of carpet hung up served as a door. Flour sold for $4.50 and $5.00 per hundred and bacon at 25 and 30 cents per pound, while other necessities were equally high. Our subject has gone a half mile to borrow two spoonsful of flour in order to make cream gravy for company, and has carried wood a mile and a half in order that his mother might have fuel for her cooking. The father engaged in freighting from Kansas City to what was the Osage Mission, now St. Paul, the trip taking three weeks, during which time no news could be received from him. He entered a claim from the government, making his home there until 1887, when he and his wife removed to Erie, where they are now living retired, at the ages of seventy-six and seventy-three years, respectively. They are members of the Presbyterian church and Mr. Holley has held several township offices. In the family were three children. Frank Z. is a physician and druggist in Center, in the Chickasaw Nation, Indian Territory. He married Mattie Griggs and has four children, Maud, Grace and Irvin, and Owen L. the youngest, is a traveling salesman out of Kansas City, Missouri, is a graduate of the Fort Scott Business College, and is married to Cora Bardwell of Erie, Kansas.
E. I. Holley, the second of the family, was educated in the common schools and in boyhood assisted in the work of the farm, of which he later had charge. At the age of twenty-four, however, he left the farm and engaged in clerking and in working in the grain trade. He then went into the grocery business at Walnut, Kansas, under the firm name of Hinson & Company. After a year, however, he disposed of his interest and returned to the old homestead, farming for two years. He next began working for a butcher in Walnut and during that year mastered the business. In 1887 he came to Erie, and conducted a meat market for seven years when he sold out to his partner, Mr. Miller, and embarked in his present line as a dealer in hardware and farm implements. He has three rooms, each one hundred by twenty-five feet, all filled with general hardware, buggies and farm implements, and is enjoying a large and constantly growing trade. He has been engaged in the raising and breeding of fine stock, especially trotting horses and he is the owner of forty acres of farming land in this county and has an interest in one hundred and sixty acres of mineral land in Arkansas. He has been president of the fair association of this county, and is now its superintendent. Mr. Holley was married October 19, 1880, to Miss Maggie McGinnis, a daughter of Terrence McGinnis, a native of Ireland, and they have two children, Ethel A. and Maurice C. Mre. [sic] Holley is a lady of superior culture and refinement, who for several years successfully engaged in teaching. Our subject and his wife, also their daughter, hold membership in the Christian church. He belongs to the Masonic fraternity, the Modern Woodmen of America and the Knights and Ladies of Security, and his wife is also identified with the last named. A firm supporter of the Republican party he has several times been elected on its ticket to the city council. Erie names him among its most progressive and public spirited men, and his efforts and labors, it is well known, have been potent elements in advancing the growth and up building of the county along many lines of improvement. He also deserves great credit for the success he has accomplished, having worked his way upward from a humble financial position to one of affluence. [Source: History of Neosho and Wilson Counties, Kansas, Pub. by L. Wallace Duncan, Fort Scott, Kansas, Monitor Printing Co., 1902; transcribed by VB]
OF Ustick Township
Daniel Hollinshead, a leading farmer and stock raiser of Ustick township, residing on section 8, was born on the 7th of February, 1834, in Kingston, Canada, about thirty miles from Toronto, and is a son of John and Elizabeth (Rush) Hollinshead. The mother was a native of Pennsylvania and a grandniece of Benjamin Rush, one of the signers of the Declaration of Independence. Elizabeth's mother, Mrs. Julia Ann Rush, belongs to a very patriotic family, and she heartily espoused the cause of the colonists. Frequently she would put on male attire and perform picket duty during the Revolutionary war. She accompanied her son-in-law, John Hollinshead, to Canada, and later came with the family to Whiteside county, Illinois, where she died in 1842, being the first to be interred in the Hollinshead Cemetery located on the Hollinshead Farm, Ustick Twp., Section 8, on bluff above Spring Valley Rd.
John Hollinshead, father of our subject, was born in Jersey City, New Jersey, January 6, 1798, and when a mere lad removed with his father, Jacob Hollinshead, to Canada, where the latter died. He was a native of one of the eastern states, was a hatter by trade, and a Quaker in religious faith. John Hollinshead was married in Canada, where he continued to make his home until the spring of 1839, when he came to Whiteside county, Illinois, accompanied by his wife and five children. They made the journey by way of the Great Lakes to Chicago, and after spending a few hours in that little hamlet, they proceeded on their way across the country. They located in what is now Clyde township. The father was impressed with the idea that Chicago would one day become a large city on account of the facilities it possessed for trading and shipping, and he returned to it and verbally bargained for a farm in what is now the heart of the city, but as he was unable to collect money which he had loaned, he could not secure the land. He made his home in Clyde township for two years, during which time he hauled his grain twice to the Chicago market, where he received for the same sixty cents per bushel. At the time of his death, which occurred in 1845, he possessed a good farm of four hundred and forty acres in Ustick township. His wife died in the spring of 1863. Of the nine children born to this worthy couple, four are still living: Joshua, a resident of Ustick township; Daniel, our subject; Mary, wife of Herman Worthington, of Fulton; and Emily, who married Nathaniel Hollinshead, a cousin, and resides in Fulton.
Our subject was but five years old when brought by his parents to Whiteside county, and he began his education in a little log school house under what is known as the Bluff. He continued his studies there for some years, and remained at home until he attained his majority, when he and his brother Jacob rented the place of their mother and operated it together for about four years. He still lives on the old homestead, where he had two hundred and thirty acres of valuable land on sections 7, 8 and 17, Ustick township, besides seventy-one acres on section 1, Fulton township. He follows general farming and stock raising, and has met with most gratifying success. Of late years he has given considerable attention to the breeding of fine horses and has one fine stallion, a Morgan, and owns an interest in a Belgian draft horse, the latter having cost twenty-five hundred dollars. He also feeds cattle and hogs for the market quite extensively.
On the 2nd of July, 1859, Mr. Hollinshead was united in marriage with Miss Mary Knight, a native of Hancock county, Illinois, and a daughter of Wesley and Louisa (Cowles) Knight, who were of the Mormon faith and when the people of that denomination were driven from Nauvoo they came to Fulton. Later her father died while on his way to California. His wife was a daughter of Elder Cowles, one of the elders who was opposed to Brigham Young on the question of polygamy. Mrs. Hollinshead died April 8, 1867. Of the four children born of that union, three died in infancy, the only one living being Dora, now the wife of Quincy L. Slocum, of St. Louis by whom she has three children, Leith H., Lloyd 4 and Liebling Mary.
Mr. Hollinshead was again married, September 16, 1868, his second union being with Miss Rebecca M. Hubbell, who was born in Summit county, Ohio, July 31, 1837. Her parents were Matthew and Betsy (Foote) Hubbell, the former a native of Bridgeport, Connecticut, the latter of western New York, and her paternal grandfather was Andrew Hubbell, a farmer by occupation. In New Berlin, New York, Matthew Hubbell learned the tailor's trade, which he continued to follow until forty-five years of age, when he turned his attention to farming in St. Clair county, Michigan, whither he had removed from Ohio. There he died in November, 1886. In early life be was a Democrat, but prior to the Civil war was a strong Abolitionist and took an active part in the operation of the underground railroad. Mrs. Hollinshead's mother had died January 19, 1840, and in 1842 he married her sister, Seraphina Foote, by whom he had one child, Matthew, who married Effie Denton, has one child and resides on the old homestead in St Clair county, Michigan. There were five children born of the first marriage, of whom one died in infancy; Lucy died at the age of twenty-two years; Lois is the wife of Harvey Coburn, of Sanilac county, Michigan, and they have six children; Angelina is the wife of John Allen, of St. Clair county, and they had four children, two now living; and Rebecca M., wife of our subject, completes the family. To Mr. and Mrs. Hollinshead have been born five children: (1) Delia married a cousin, Frank Hollinshead, who is engaged in the ice and coal business in Fulton and they have two children, Jeanette A. and Thayer. (2) Hubbell, a farmer of Ustick township, married Phernia Wilson and has two children, Bayard and Gareld. (3) Earle is engaged in business with his brother Hubbell. (4) Archie died at the age of five years. (5) Burton assists his father in the operation of the home place. (6) Clare is at home.
Mr. Hollinshead is identified with the Garden Plain Mutual Insurance Company. Politically, he affiliates with the Democratic party, and he has been called upon to serve as road commissioner for six years and school director for a number of years, and is now serving as a justice of the peace. He is a progressive and enterprising man, who takes a deep and commendable interest in public affairs and gives his support to every measure which he believes calculated to prove of public good. His estimable wife is a member of the Episcopal church. [Contributed by Robert Stewart; From "The Biographical Record of Whiteside Co"]
JACOB W. HOLLINSHEAD
OF Ustick Township
Jacob W. Hollinshead, a farmer in Ustick Township, located on section 7, is the son of John and Betsey (Rush) Hollinshead, of whom a personal sketch is given elsewhere, with that of Joshua Hollinshead. They died in Ustick Township respectively in March, 1843 and in June, 1863. Their children were named Joshua, Julia A, Jacob W, Daniel, Lydia, Charles, Mary and Emily. Mr. Hollinshead was born Aug. 22, 1831, in Canada, and we was about nine years of age when he came with his parents to Whiteside County. He received the advantages of the common schools, and was occupied on the home farm until he was 28 years of age. He then undertook the management of the homestead, in which he continued two years, and after that bought 94 acres of land situated on sections 7 and 8, in Ustick Township. On this he at once located and erected the buildings which he has since occupied and utilized in his agricultural operations. He is now the owner of about 217 acres in the county, and has 194 acres under good tillage. In political connections, Mr. Hollinshead is in sympathy with the Democrats. He has been Constable three years, Collector four years, Road Commissioner about ten years, has served as School Director, and in the spring of 1885 was elected Assessor. He is a member of the Masonic Order, and, with his wife, belongs to the Presbyterian Church. He was married in Mt. Carroll, Ill., Sept. 12, 1858, to Jeannette, daughter of Orange and Margaret (Johnson) Benton, who had nine children, names as follows: Johnson, Lafayette, Rebecca, Edwin, Willard, Maria, Jasper, Jeannette, and Emmett. Mrs. Hollinshead was born Feb. 11, 1837, in Chenango Co., N.Y., and to her and her husband three children have been born: Ethel L., Elizabeth M. and Frank L. [From "The Portrait & Biographical Record of Whiteside Co", Page 455]
OF Ustick Township
John Hollinshead was born in Jersey City, New Jersey, January 6, 1798. He went first to Canada from his native city, and came to Clyde, Whiteside county, in June, 1839. Soon afterwards he purchased land under the bluffs in Ustick Township, and settled there, living upon his farm until he died, and on which he lies buried. During his residence in Canada he participated in the Patriot War and true to the land of his birth, was an ardent patriot. At one time during that war he had charge of a large number of guns, and quite an amount of ammunition, which the Loyalists determined to capture, but owing to his shrewd management both were saved to the Patriot force. His wife was of the Rush family of Pennsylvania, her uncle being the celebrated Richard Rush, one of the signers of the Declaration of Independence. The children of this marriage were, Joshua, born September 7, 1827; Julia Ann, May 19, 1829; Jacob W., August 22, 1831; Daniel, February 7, 1834; Lydia, January 21, 1837; Mary July 21, 1839; Charles, January 27,1842, and Emily, September 19, 1843. Charles died in infancy and Lydia in 1867, leaving a husband and three children. The remaining children are living, and reside in Whiteside county. [Extracted from Bent & Wilson History Pg 469]
OF Ustick Township, Whiteside Co IL
Joshua Hollinshead, who owns and successfully operates an excellent farm of two hundred and twenty-five acres of land on sections 7 and 8, Ustick township, and also another of one hundred and twelve acres on section 12, Fulton township, was born near Toronto, in upper Canada, September 7, 1827, and is a son of John and Elizabeth (Rush) Hollinshead, the former of Welsh and the latter of English descent. Both families were founded in America during colonial days. The mother was born December 12, 1806, and was a descendant of Dr. Rush, one of the signers of the Declaration of Independence. Her mother, Mrs. Julia A. Rush, did garrison duty in the Revolutionary war. The father of our subject was born near Trenton, New Jersey, January 6, 1798, and brought his family to Whiteside county, Illinois, when Joshua was only thirteen years of age. He located in what is now Clyde township, which at that time had not been surveyed, and took up a half section of land, which he commenced to improve, but died in 1842, about a year after his arrival. His wife survived him a number of years, dying in 1864. In their family were seven children, namely: Joshua, our subject; Julia Ann, who married C. C. Knight, and died in 1883; Jacob, who died in Fulton, Illinois, in 1895; Daniel, who also resides on section 8, Ustick township; Lydia, deceased wife of D. Farwell, a retired farmer; Mary, wife of H. Worthington, of Fulton, and Emily, also a native of Fulton. The early life of our subject was passed upon the frontier in true pioneer style, and he was educated in the primitive log school-house with its slab benches for seats. Being the oldest of the family, he took charge of the home farm after his father’s death, and successfully carried on the same until the children were grown. In 1848 he was united in marriage with Miss Nancy Ingham, a native of New York state, who died in 1858, leaving two sons. John David, the elder, died in Idaho at the age of twenty-eight years. Reuben P. was a soldier in the Seventh Corps in the Civil war, and since his discharge has engaged in the bakery business. He married Mary S. Brumagine and they have three children, two sons and one daughter.
After the death of his wife Mr. Hollinshead disposed of his business interests here and went west for his health, but returned to this county at the time of his mother’s death. Later he married Mrs. Mehitable (Applebee) Lawrence, widow of Albert Lawrence. By her first marriage she had one son, Professor Wallace G. Lawrence, who was reared by our subject from the age of six years. By the second union five children were born, but two died in infancy. Those living are George, a resident of Fulton, who married Addie Fisk and has four daughters; Mattie, wife of Waite Lewis, who lives east of Morrison, and by whom she has one son; and Emma, wife of Edward Blodgett, who is a graduate of a law college and a resident of Fulton. The mother of these children died July 9, 1 882, and Mr. Hollinshead was again married August 21, 1883, his third union being with Miss Emma Wilson, who was born in St. Louis, Missouri, November 6, 1859, and is daughter of John and Ann (Wilson) Wilson, the former a native of Toronto, Canada, the latter of England. At the opening of the Civil war Mr. Wilson was a railroad engineer in the south, but, being a Union sympathizer, had to come north. He was captured and wounded, still carrying a rebel bullet in his body. He now makes his home in Clinton, Iowa. His wife died in 1881, leaving five children, namely: Emma, wife of our subject; Laura; Walter; Cora T.; and Phernia, who married a nephew of our subject. Mr. Hollinshead is engaged in general farming and makes a specialty of baling hay, a part of which he ships and the remainder he sells to the home market. He has met with well deserved success in life and is now quite well-to-do. Between the ages of twenty and thirty years he devoted considerable time to hunting and trapping, not only because he enjoyed the sport, but also because it proved quite profitable financially. Four times he has crossed the plains and has keep a full account of each day during his travels. He is a stanch Democrat, and has taken quite an active and prominent part in local politics. His fellow citizens, recognizing his worth and ability, have elected him to several official positions of honor and trust, having served, as supervisor two terms, assessor three terms, school trustee two terms, and road commissioner and director. He was also a member of the committee appointed to select a name for his township, and in many ways has been prominently identified with public affairs. ["The Portrait & Biographical Record of Whiteside Co" Pages 501-502]
OF Ustick Township
Reuben P. Hollinshead of the firm Hollinshead & West, dealers in clothing and furnishing goods at Morrison is a native citizen of Whiteside County, Ill., having been born May 3, 1857, at Fulton. Joshua Hollinshead, his father, is a native of Canada, and is a farmer in Ustick Township. The mother, Nancy (Ingham) Hollinshead, was born in the State of New York, and died at Fulton, this county, leaving two children, both sons. John D is a pilot on the Mississippi River. Mr. Hollinshead left home when he was 19 years of age to learn the jewelry business, and bought out an establishment at Fulton, where he acquired a practical knowledge of its details. In September, 1879, he came to Morrison, where he entered the clothing house of H. Worthington as a salesman. In January, 1881, associated with J.A. West, he became one of the proprietors of the stock and business interests of his former employer, to which they succeeded by purchase. They are doing a successful and popular business. Mr. Hollinshead is a member of the Masonic fraternity and of the Order of Odd Fellows. His marriage to Mary S. Brumagrin took place at Morrison, Oct. 25, 1882; they have one son, Frank Glenmore, born Jan. 10, 1884. Mrs. Hollinshead was born March 26, 1863, in Spotswood, N.J., and is the daughter of Dr. R. J. and Jane D. (Van Cleef) Brumagrin
AARON PORTER HOLT
Aaron Porter Holt, M.D., deceased, formerly a medical practitioner at Lyndon, was born Oct. 8, 1808, in Holden, Worcester Co., Mass. His father was named Amos Holt, and he was the third son. The latter was reared on the oaternal homestead and received a commonschool education. Iii youth he was apprenticed to learn the business of a machinist, but he devoted his entire leisure to study. In 1835, when 27, he began to read medicine, and in 1840 opened an office at Andover, Essex Co., N. Y., enploying the botanic and eclectic systems. In 1841 he went to Lowell, Mass., where he kept an infirmary six years, and met with results entirely satisfactory. He grew dissatisfied with city life and went to Palmyra, Jefferson Co., Wis., where he transacted business for a brief period. In 1847 he came to Lyndon. Two years later he was seized with a hemorrhage of the lungs, and suffered from the consequences nearly a year. He was a consumptive by inheritance, his mothers brothers and sisters having been victims of the disease. Through careful treatment he recovered his health. As soon as he had sufficiently recovered to resume business, he obtained a homeopathic library and the remedies prescribed by that school of medicine; and after careful investigation by experiment, he adopted that method of practice. In 1856 he was graduated at the Homopathic College, at Cleveland, 0., acquitting himself with honor in his examination. He used no other system in his latter practice. Dr. Holt was a member of the first Homopatbic Medical Society that was organized in Illinois. He also was one of foremost citizens of Lyndon in affording support all projects that promised substantial or permament benefit to the general welfare. He was one of the proprietors of the Railroad Addition to Lyndon platted in 1869, and in 1874 was made one of the first Board of Trustees when the village was incorporated, the first meeting of that body being held his home May 2d. He was married Dec. 2, 1829, to Clarissa Huse, Chester, N. H, She died in September, 1864. Dr. Holt's second marriage, to Rosetta M. Mitchell, occurred in August, 1865. She was born in Aurora, Erie Co., N. Y. By the first marriage there were six children, but three of whom are living. Lucius is a medical practitioner at Marshalltown, Iowa. Luella A. is the wife of George L. Coburn. Mary Lowell is married to Atwater Day, of Boston, Mass. James H., the youngest son of the earlier marrage, was born Aug. 9, 1843. He was a bugler in the military service of his country during the Rebellion, and died during his period of enlistment. Charlotte M., Anos W., Kittie B.. Arthur M. and Aaron P. are the children of the later marriage of Dr. Bolt. He died March 6, 1876, after an illness of two years. He prescribed for visitng until a week previous to his death.[Portrait & Biographical History of Whiteside Co 1885]
EDWARD S. HOOVER
Editor of the Gazette of Sterling, his native city, was born October 1, 1863. His paternal grandfather, .Samuel Hoover, was a native of Pennsylvania and a descendant of one of that party of German Mennonites who were picked up by William Penn in London and brought to this country in 1717, colonizing Lancaster county, Pennsylvania. The original head of the family was Hans Hoover, a devout Mennonite, and the family continued in that religious faith until the time of Samuel Hoover, who drifted into Methodism and became an exhorter of that church. Samuel Hoover was also a soldier of the war of 1812, but his ancestors, in accordance with their religious faith and teachings, were non-combatants. His wife was Elizabeth Sprecher, and both died when well advanced in years, their graves being made in Sterling cemetery. They had become early settlers of Whiteside county and had aided in its pioneer development and improvement. Samuel Hoover was quite well-to-do and brought with him to Whiteside county considerable money, which earned for him the sobriquet of “Cash Hoover.” Upon him the Methodist church of Sterling depended largely for its financial support, and he gave and loaned considerable money to the Methodist society. His son, George S. Hoover, born in Pennsylvania, came to Sterling in 1855, and for a few years carried on merchandising, but during the greater part of his life followed the occupation of farming, carefully conducting his agricultural interests so that he derived a good income therefrom. He held various township offices, including that of supervisor, and was active and influential in his community. He married Christiana Grafius, who still survives him, the death of Mr. Hoover having occurred September 15, 1903. when he was eighty years of age. Both were consistent members of the Presbyterian church. Their family numbered four children: Edward S.; Henry G., a veterinary surgeon of Sterling; Martin G., a resident of Chicago; and Frank W., a farmer of Minburn, Iowa.
The maternal grandfather of Edward S. Hoover was Jacob Grafius, a native of Bedford county, Pennsylvania, and of French descent. His ancestors were religious refugees, who settled at York, Pennsylvania, and later lived at Huntingdon. All escaped to York at the time of the Utah massacre save one, Rosanna, who was captured and held in captivity until the exchange of the prisoners at Pittsburg during the French and Indian war. Jacob Grafius was a merchant at Martinsburg, Blair county, Pennsylvania, for a number of years. In antebellum days he was a radical abolitionist and became a stalwart republican when that party was formed to prevent the further extension of slavery. In 1860 he served as a delegate to the republican national convention at Chicago, which nominated Abraham Lincoln for the presidency. He was a man of considerable culture and was an elder in the Presbyterian church at Martinsburg, Pennsylvania, where father and son served as elders through succeeding generations for a hundred years. Jacob Grafius married Margaret Glazier, and died in Martinsburg, at an advanced age, while his wife passed away in middle life. They were the parents of one son and three daughters. Edward S. Hoover is a direct descendant of Hans Hoover. In his boyhood days he attended the public schools and lived upon a farm, where his time and attention were given to the work of field and meadow. He, however, early developed a taste for books and newspaper work, and thinking to find other pursuits more congenial than farming he became a newspaper reporter, being connected at different times with papers in Rockford, Belvidere and Sterling. In 1904 he became editor of the Sterling Gazette, a republican paper published daily. It is the oldest journal in the city of Sterling, having been established in 1855 and it has the largest circulation of any newspaper in the thirty-fifth congressional district. It likewise has an extensive advertising patronage and the business is a profitable one. Its newspaper editorials are attractive by reason of their clear and concise statement of facts and discussion of issues. The paper in its mechanical construction is neat and pleasing, and its extensive patronage is well merited. On the 3d of September, 1903, Mr. Hoover was married to Miss Jane Ruth Parker, a daughter of Charles and Catherine (Spies) Parker. They have one daughter, Christiana. Mrs. Hoover is a member of the Congregational ehureh. Politically Mr. Hoover is a stalwart champion of republican principles. With his family he now lives on the old homestead of his father and grandfather, a property which has long been in possession of the family. The name of Hoover has for several decades figured conspicuously in connection with the history of Whiteside county and Edward S. Hoover is carrying forward the work of his father and grandfather in upholding all interests which work for the county's development and growth. [From the History of Whiteside - Wm. Davis 1908]
FRANCIS K. HOOVER
Francis K. Hoover is a farmer of Sterling Township and is a resident on section 3. His parents, John & Martha (Kreider) Hoover, were born in PA and settled in the township of Sterling in 1851. The death of the mother transpired Oct. 8, 1869; the father on Feb. 2, 1884. Their family included 8 children, two of who died in infancy. Francis K., Mary, Anna, Isaac, Martha and Benjamin are still living. Mr. Hoover was born July 27, 1835 in Lancaster Co PA. He was about 16 when he came with his parents to Whiteside County and he has since been interested almost exclusively in agricultural pursuits. He became a land-holder in 1867 when he bought 80 acres on the section where his homestead is now located. On this he has since lived with the exception of two years when he resided on section 2. His farm now comprises 200 acres and is supplied with good buildings. His place is all under improvement. Mr. Hoover has been School Director three years, and in political sentiment he is in accord with the Republican party. He was married Feb. 27, 1859 in Sterling Township to Mary, daughter of Jacob and Barbara (Hess) Snavely, natives of PA. Her parents came to Whiteside County about 1856, and passed the remainder of their lives in Sterling Twp. They had 9 children. Mrs. Hoover was born Feb. 2, 1839 in Lebanon Co PA and is the mother of 8 children - John, Edward, William, Hattie, Isaac, Harry, Benjamin and Frank. [Portraits & Biographical 1885 Pg 783]
GEORGE S. HOOVER
George S Hoover, farmer on section 22, Sterling Township, is an enterprising agriculturist of Whiteside County. He moved here in 1855, and is now the proprietor of 350 acres of land, all lying in the township of Sterling and all under improvements. In politics Mr. Hoover is a Republican and supports the general and local issues of that party. He was born Feb. 14, 1823, in Bedford Co., Pa., and is the son of Samuel and Elizabeth (Sprecher) Hoover. His parents were natives of Lancaster Co., Pa., moved to Bedford County, that State, in 1821, and were residents there until 1855, when they came to Illinois, and settled on section 22, in the township of Sterling. They died on the homestead. Their ten children were named William, Catherine, George S., Samuel M., Sarah, John W., Louisa, David C., Elizabeth A. and Henry H.
Mr. Hoover was educated principally at the common schools of his native county, and afterward was a farmer in Pennsylvania for a time. He engaged about two years there in mercantile business. After coming to Whiteside County, he engaged in the same interest in Sterling about two years, and afterwards as a butcher. Later, he engaged in farming on section 22, Sterling Township. His marriage took place Dec. 18, 1862, at Martinsburg, Blair Co., Pa., when Christine S., daughter of Jacob and Margaretta (Glazier) Grafins, became his wife. The parents were born in Pennsylvania, where their entire lives were passed. Mrs. Hoover had two brothers and two sisters, as follows: Anna M., Ellen M., Martin and Silas, all younger than herself. She was born Jan. 28, 1833, in Mifflin Co., Pa., and to her and her husband four children have been born named Edward S., Harry G., Martin G. and Frank W. Mr. Hoover has held the office of Road Commissioner and School Director. He and his wife are members of the Presbyterian Church. [Portraits & Biographical 1885]
ISAAC S. HOOVER
Issac S Hoover, farmer, section 14, Sterling Township, was born Jan. 1, 1845, in Franklin Co., Pa. He was six years old when his parents, John and Martha (Kreider) Hoover removed from that State to Whiteside County, where they settled in 1851. The latter died in Sterling Township, in October, 1869. The father died Feb 1, 1884. Their eight children were born in the following order: Samuel, Elizabeth, Frank, Mary, Ann, Isaac S., Martha and Benjamin. Since arriving at manhood, Mr. Hoover has been engaged in agricultural Pursuits, and he is now the owner of 116 acres of land in the township of Sterling, which is practically all under culture. In political persuasion he is a Republican, and he has served a number of years as School Director. His marriage to Mary Martin occurred Nov. 2, 1870. She was born Nov. 8, 1841, in Erie Co., N. Y. and her only child, Mamie M. Hoover, was born Feb 27, 1876. Libbie E. and William H. are the names of two children who have been adopted by Mr. and Mrs. Hoover. The latter is the daughter of Samuel and Mary (Cox) Martin. Her parents were natives of Pennsylvania and settled in the State of New York, where the mother died March 21, 1869. The father removed after that event to Lee Co., Ill., and is now residing there. Their children were five in number and were born in the following order: John C., Elizabeth, Jacob C. Mary and Samuel. Mr. and Mrs. Hoover are members of the Christian Church. [Transcribed by Marji Turner; Whiteside County History 1885 Pg 712]
JAMES POLK HOPKINS
James P. Hopkins a farmer, section 36, Hopkins Township, is the youngest son of Jason Hopkins, whose memory is perpetuated by the name of that division of the county in which he resides. His father was born Jan., 27, 1789, and he married Eleanor Johnson, who was born in Kentucky. They lived in Tennessee until their removal, in 1835, to Hopkins Township, where they were the first white settlers. The senior Hopkins built the first log house on Rock River, in Whiteside County, of which he took possession and which he occupied some years. He removed thence to another pairt of the same section, known as the "Como Purchase." He died there Aug. 19, 1853. The date of the death of the mother is May 13, 1858. their children were four in number, and were named William T., Helen, Frances and James P. The oldest child was born Feb. 22, 1837, and was the first white male child born in Whiteside County. He died about 1862. Mr. Hopkins of this sketch was born Oct. 4, 1843, in Hopkins township. He was but 10 years of age when his father died, and he has lived all his life at Como, with the exception of the time which he spent in the military service of the United States. He enlisted Sept. 2, 1862, in the 75th Regt. Ill. Vol. Inf., and was in active service until the close of the war, receiving his honorable discharge in July, 1865. He was under rebel fire at Atlanta, Murfreesboro, Chickamauga and Lookout Mountain, besides seeing other service of a miscellaneous character. He passed through the varied experiences of war entirely without injury. On his return to his home he resumed his former occupation of farming. He is an adherent of the Repulbican party in his political principles. He has been active in school and other local interests. Mr. Hopkins was married Nov. 30, 1869, at Atkinson, Henry Co., Ill., to Asenath H., daughter of Donald and Mary (Lloyd) Lamont. Her father wa born in Scotland and her mother was a native of Canada. They were married in the Dominion, where they resided some years, and afterward came to Illinois, settling in Hopkins Township, this county, in 1865: they are still living. Mrs. Hopkins is their oldest child, and her brothers and sisters are named Flora A., John, Jesse L., Susanna, Elizabeth J. Charity, Washington M., Emily I. and Mary I. Mrs. Hopkins was born Nov. 2, 1842, in Canada. She has become the mother of five children, - Eleanor M., Jessie L., Anna F., Eunice B. and James P., Jr. [Portraits & Biographical 1885]
JAMES POLK HOPKINS
Among the younger and more enterprising farmers of Hopkins township, is numbered James Polk Hopkins, a representation of one of the honored pioneer families of Illinois. He was born October 11, 1881, his parents being James Polk and Asenath (Lamont) Hopkins, the former a native of Whiteside county, and the latter of Toronto, Canada. Jason Hopkins, the paternal grandfather of our subject, was a native of Nashville, Tennessee, born June 27, 1899. He resided in his native city until he had reached middle age, when he came to Illinois because of the anti-slavery principles which he entertained, settling at Belleville, this state. He afterward removed to Peoria and at a later date became a resident of Whiteside county. He served as a soldier of the Black Hawk war, becoming a volunteer in a cavalry regiment in which he was appointed quartermaster, holding that position throughout the continuance of hostilities that led to the subjugation of the red race and caused their removal from this section of the country to districts farther west. At the close of the war, in the autumn of 1832, as the troops were returning to their homes, Mr. Hopkins, with others, came to the Rock River, and in coasting along its banks reached the present site of the village of Como. Being impressed with the beauty of the place he made a claim, covering the entire tract known in pioneer parlance as a jack knife claim, by cutting his name in the bark of the trees, showing the boundary of his line. Mr. Hopkins always regarded this location as beautiful as the garden of Eden. It has indeed, much natural attraction of a scenic character, while the resources of the farm were many because of the richness and productiveness of the soil. He was married in Peoria, Illinois, to Miss Elenora Johnson, who was born December 29, 1801, near Bowling Green, Kentucky.
With his bride he returned to Whiteside county in 1835 and surveyed the claim, establishing the boundaries by marking trees in the timber and running furrows across the prairie with the plow and ox team. When the land came into market the prairie with the plow and ox team. When the land came into market he purchased his claim, comprising sections 25, 26, 35 and 36, Hopkins township, and also some land adjoining, making in all about thirty-two hundred acres. He built the first log cabin in the township which bears his name, and thus planted the seeds of civilization in a region hitherto the domain of the savage. He possessed many sterling traits of character, was a man of firm purpose, unswerving integrity and loyalty and of unfaltering patriotism. He was an intimate acquaintance and a great admirer Of General Jackson. In the community where he lived he became an influential factor. He was well fitted to cope with the conditions of pioneer life and in laboring for his community looked beyond the exigencies of the moment to the possibilities of the future and builded for later days as well as for his own time. He died August 19, 1853, and thus passed away one who had been instrumental in laying the foundation for the present prosperity and progress of the county. The work that he did in reclaiming this wild region will always be remembered, inasmuch as the township in which he first settled bears his name - an honor that he well retired.
His wife passed away May 13, 1858, having survived him for about five years. Their children were William T.; Helen, Francis and James P. The first named was the first white male child born in Whieside County, and his death occurred about 1862. James P. Hopkins, father of our subject, was the youngest son of Jason Hopkins and was born upon the old homestead claim in Hopkins township, October 4, 1843. He was but ten years of age when his father died. He has lived all his life at Como, with the exception of the time which he spent in the call of the Union and enlisted on the 2d of September, 1862, in the Seventy-fifth regiment of Illinois Volunteers. He continued in the service throughout the war, and was honorably discharged in July. 1865. He participated in the battles of Atlanta, Murfreesboro, Chickamauga, Lookout Mountain and various others, which contributed to the result that finally crowned the Union arms. Although frequently in the thickest of the fight he escaped without serious injury. On his return to his home he resumed his former occupation of farming, and in the community was recognized as a citizen of value and public spirit. He was devoted to the principles of the republican party, which stood as the defense of the federal government in the dark days of the Civil war, and which has always been the party of reform, progress and improvement. He was always active in support of the schools and of other local interests calculated to prove of public benefit. On the 30th of November, 1869. at Atkinson, Henry county, Illinois, he was married to Miss Asenath H. Lamont, a daughter of Donald and Mary (Lloyd) Lamont. Her father was born in Scotland and her mother in Canada. They were married in the Dominion, where they resided for a short time before coming to Illinois in 1865, at which time they took up their abode in Hopkins township, Whiteside county. Their children were Aseneth H., Flora A., John, JesseL., Susanna, Elizabeth J., Charity, Washington M.. Emily I. and Martha I. Mrs. Hopkins was born November 2, 1842, and by her marriage became the mother of five children, Elnora M., Jessie L. Anna F, Eunice B. and James P., Jr.
The last named resides upon the old homestead and is one of the energetic, aggressive young farmers of the county. In addition to tilling the soil in the production of the crops best adapted to climatic conditions here, he also makes a specialty of the raising of Poland China hogs, and likewise handles a good many horse. The house which stands here was erected many years ago, and is one of the old landmarks of the county. It is finished in black walnut, and also some butternut wood - woods which are today almost priceless. The farm is well cultivated, is neat and thrifty in its appearance in every department, and indicates the careful supervision and practical methods of the owner. James P. Hopkins of this review is a member of the Fraternal Life, associated with Galt Lodge, No. 135. He votes the republican ticket, and though keeping well informed on the questions and issues of the day, has never sought office as a reward for party fealty. His mother resides with him and i an interesting and beautiful character. Their home, although one of the old residences of the county, ha been wel preserved during all these years and is a comfortable dwelling. The name of Hopkins has, from Pioneer times, been an honored one in this section of the state. The work begun by the grandfather and carried on by the father is now being continued by the son, who is justly classed with the representative agriculturists and reliable business men of his community. [History of Whiteside County 1908]
Of Hopkins Twp
Jason Hopkins was a native of Nashville, Tennesse, (Davidson Co) and was born December 26, 1786. He remained at Nashville until he was middle aged, when he came to Illinois and settled at Belleville, (St. Clair Co IL) and from thence went to Peoria. When the Black Hawk war broke out he volunteered in a cavalry regiment, was appointed Quarter Master, and served in that capacity during the war. In 1835 he came to Como, as previously mentioned in this chapter, where he remained until his death, August 19, 1853, at the age of sixty-six years. His children were William Tell, born February 22, 1837; Helen, born August 1, 1838; Francis E., born February 25, 1840, and James P., October 4, 1842. William Tell died about 1862. Helen married William Carson, of Henry county, Illinois; children, Charles, Bertie, John J. and Hattie. Francis E. married W. S. Angell, October 4, 1865; children, William H. H., Carl, and one who died in infancy. Mr. Hopkins was a cabinet maker, and worked at his trade until he came to Como. Mr. Deyo, in Sterling, has a table made by him over forty years ago. He possessed many traits of character peculiar to the citizens of ancient Rome in its Republican days, firmness, unswerving integrity, and patriotism. He was an intimate acquaintance and great admirer of General Jackson. He was altogether a remarkable man, and admirably fitted for a pioneer. The township of Hopkins was named in his honor. [Bent-Wilson History of Whiteside County 1877]
JASON HOPKINS, for whom Hopkins Township was named, was a native of Nashville, Tenn., and was born Jan. 27, 1789 (The birthdate s/b 26 Dec 1786?) . He remained at Nashville till about the middle age of life, when he came to Illinois on account of his anti-slavery principles, and settled at Belleville. From there he went to Peoria. When the Black Hawk War broke out, he volunteered in a cavalry regiment, was appointed Quartermaster, and served in that capacity during the war. In the autumn of 1832, as the troops were returning to their homes Mr. Hopkins, with a party, came to Rock River, and in coasting along its banks came to the site of the present village of Como. Being impressed with the beauty of the place, he made a claim covering the whole tract known in pioneer parlance as a "jack-knife claim" by cutting his name in the bark of trees. Mr. Hopkins often spoke of this location as being as beautiful as the Garden of Eden. He was married at Peoria, Ill., to Eleanor Johnson, who was born Dec. 29, 1801, near Bowling Green, Ky., and with her Mr. H. returned in 1835 and surveyed the claim, establishing the boundaries by marking trees in the timber and running furrows through the prairie with an ox team and a prairie plow. He afterwards purchased the claim, comprising sections 25, 26, 35 and 36, and as much ad joining as made 3,200 acres. He built the first log cabin in the township that bears his name. He died Aug. 19, 1853. He possessed many traits of character peculiar to the citizens of ancient Rome in its republican days, - firmness, unswerving integrity and patriotism. He was in intimate acquaintance with, and a great admirer of General Jackson. He was altogether a remarkable man and admirably fitted for a pioneer. Mrs. H., his wife, died May 13, 1858. Their children were four in number and were named William T., Helen, Frances and James P. The first mentioned, William T. Hopkins, was the first white male child born in Whiteside County. He died about 1862. [Portraits & Biographical Pg 369]
Adam Horlacher, farmer, section 12, Genesee Township, was born Aug. 2, 1857, in Sterling, this county. The sketch of his parents, Godfrey and Elizabeth (Spies) Horlacher, appears elsewhere in this book. After his birth, they settled on a farm in Genesee Township where he was brought up and thoroughly instructed in farming. He acquired a fair education in the district schools and was an inmate of the parental home until he was about 22 years of age. His marriage to Mary Myers took place Dec. 18, 1879, in Sterling. She was born Oct. 17, 1862, in Jordan Township, and is the daughter of Francis and Elizabeth Myers. Her parents are natives of Pennsylvania and are Germans by ancestral origin. They are farmers in Jordan Township, where they own an extensive estate. After the marriage of Mr. and Mrs. Horlacher they took possession of a farm on section 12, Genesee Township, owned jointly by the former and his father, their respective claims being 80 and 120 acres. The entire tract is still under the same management, which has met with marked success. The place is stocked with Short-Horn cattle of valuable grades, and valuable horses. Extensive improvements in the number and character of farm buildings have been made. Mr. HORLACHER is a Republican and has been active in the minor local offices of the town. [Whiteside County History 1885]
Godfried Horlacher, farmer, section 13, Genesee Township, was born April 10, 1825 in Wuttenberg, Germany. His parents were named John and Godleaving (Steinbaugh) Horlacher. His father was a farmer, and he was reared at home. When he was 20 years old he began to operate as a clerk and porter in the hotels of his natives land, which employment he followed until he emigrated to the United States, which he did when he was 29 years of age. He first engaged in farming in Bucks Co., Pa., and he remained there occupied as a farm laborer between tow and threeyears. He was also married three, to Elizabeth Spies, who was born Sept. 2, 1834, in Rhein Hesse, and is the daughter of Adam and Christina (Baumgartner) Spies, both of whom were natives of the same province. The family came to the United States when she was 18 years of age. They made their first location in Bucks Co., Pa., coming thence to the West, where they made a settlement on a farm in Genesee Township. In 1882 they went to Sterling, where they are living in retirement, and are aged respectively 74 and 76 years. Mrs. Horlacher has been the m other of seven children, all of whom are living and three aremarried. They were born in the following order: Adam, Katie, Emma, Louisa, John, Frank and James.
Mr. Horlacher and his wife came to Illinois seven months after they were married, and the husband got employment as a laborer in Sterling. He was employed about two years in that method ofoperation at various points. The next years he worked a farm on shares, and in the year following, associated with his father-in-law and a man named Beeler, he bought 80 acres of wild land on section 13. Mr. Horlacher devoted himself to the improvement of his share of the acreage, and he operated on it two years with the aid of an ox team. He has proved his agricultural operations to a marked success, and is now the owner of 320 acres of land, all of which is under the plow, and he owns in addition 15 acres of timber. He has a fine residence and excellent barns of the best type. He is also considerably interested in stock. Mr. Horchaler was formerly a Democrat, but is at present independent in politics. His wife and himself are members of the Mennonite Church. [Whiteside County History 1885]
Edward Horner, senior member of the firm of E. Horner & Son, dealers in pianos, organs and musical merchandise, was born April 2, 1823, in Wakefield, Yorkshire, England. His father, Frank Horner, was a native of Yorkshire and was a professional musician, playing the cello and singing in concert. He died in August, 1853, in Thornhill, Yorkshire, and was 68 years old when she died (in 1854), in her native county of Yorkshire. Five of their eight children are living. George is a farmer in Greene Co., Iowa, and has acquired some reputation as a violinist. Jesse enlisted in the War for the Union, in the 38th Ill. Vol. Inf. He was taken prisoner at the battle of Murfreesboro, and died of the concentrated miseries and sufferings at Andersonville! John is a dry-goods merchant at Queensbury, Yorkshire, and he is also a musician. Bessie is the wife of Charles Baxendale, a game-keeper on Breton Hall's estate in Yorkshire, England. When he was 15 years of age, Mr. Horner engaged in the business of a wool-sorter, in which he was occupied until he was 24 years old. At that date he obtained an appointment as receiving clerk in the Wakefield prison and officiated in that capacity four years. After the expiration of his engagement he resumed his former employment. In July, 1854, he came to the United States. He at first located at Lincoln, Ill., where he spent a few months. He went thence to the lead mines of Jo Daviess County, where he spent seven years in prospecting. He went next to Mt. Carroll, and he embarked in the sale of Mason & Hamlin organs and the Vose & Co. pianos. After operating there seven years, he went to Depere, Wis., where he conducted a music store between two and three years. In 1870 he came to Morrison and opened his present business, which he has since continued to pursue. He is a musician of more then ordinary ability, and has engaged in teaching to a considerable extent, as have his sons. His whole family are educated in music.
Mr. Horner was married Sept. 1, 1847, in the Halifax Cathedral, Yorkshire, England, to Anna Ellis, and they have had seven children, of whom but two are living. Sarah A. was born June 4, 1848, and died Nov. 4, 1864; Matilda was born Aug. 19, 1849 and died Oct. 9, 1852; Frank was born April 27, 1851, and died April 2, a85t2; Henry is a dealer in music and sewing-machines at Marengo, Ill. He was born Oct. 26, 1852. Alice was born April 3, 1854, and died Oct. 31, 1864; Mary, born Oct. 16, 1860, died July 10, 1863; Samuel, born Oct. 19, 1857 is in business with his father. He is the leader of the Morrison Band and is a fine pianist. The members of the firm of E. Horner & Co. deal in American, English and German musical publications, and make a specialty of Peek & Sons (N. Y.) pianos. They handle the organs of George Wood & Co. and those of Hillstrom & Co., which are manufactured at Chesterton, Ind. [Portrait and Biographical Album of Whiteside County, Illinois, Chapman Brothers Publishing Co., Chicago, 1885. Pg 361]
HENRY E. HORNING
Henry E Horning, carpenter and joiner, resident at Malvern, in Clyde Township, is the son of Henry and Hannah (Isenberg) Horning, both of whom were of German ancestry, with a slight admixture of English blood on the side of the mother. Mr. Horning was born Oct. 23, 1838, in Trappe, Montgomery Co., Pa. He set out independently in life when he was 14 years old, his parents then both living. His father died Nov. 12, 1872, aged 74 years. His mother is still living in firm health, in Maryland, Ogle Co., Ill., aged 87 years. On making his first venture in life, Mr. Horning engaged in farm labor, in which he continued four years. Oct. 26, 1856, he apprenticed himself to John Poley, a cousin who resided in the place of his nativity, and he served with him three years, obtaining a thorough and practical knowledge of the business of a carpenter. Passing another year working as a journeyman, he afterwards established a shop in his own interests in his native village. In August, 1862, he went to Philadelphia and remained there engaged in work at his trade 13 years. He returned at the end of that time to his native county and worked as a carpenter two years, at Worcester. In February, 1876, in company with W.D. Hayes, he came to Whiteside County and settled at Malvern, and is the owner of the property where he resides. Since May 6, 1885, he has been traveling agent for the sale of medicines.
He was married Nov. 24, 1859, at Bethel, Berks Co., Pa., to Lydia, daughter of Jacob and Elizabeth (Hammaker) Pfeifer. Her parents were natives of Berks County, and were of German descent. They were farmers and lived and died in their native State. Mrs. H. is a member of the Dunkard Church. Mr. H. is a Democrat and a member of the K. of P. [Portrait & Biographical Pg. 235]
A. L. Hotchkiss, manufacturer of and dealer in boots and shoes, and repairer, at Prophetstown, is a son of David and Phoebe (Brown) Hotchkiss, and was born in Oswego Co., N. Y., April 24, 1832. His father was a cooper, and when 13 years of age Ambrose L., went to learn the boot and shoe trade in Syracuse, his native State, and served at the same two years. He then went to Mexico, Oswego County, where his parents resided, and followed his trade at that place and New Haven, an adjoining village, until he came West. Mr. Hotchkiss formed a matrimonial alliance with Miss Lydia Oles, in Central Square, Oswego county, March 27, 1852. She was the daughter of Asahel and Dorcas Oles, and was born in New Haven, Oswego Co, N. Y. They had one child, Frank by name, who was born in Mexico, that county, and resides in the State of New York. In June, 1864, Mr. Hotchkiss came to Prophetstown and was employed at his trade for a time. He also bought several farms and followed the occupation of a farmer. In 1877 he opened his business in which he is at present engaged. He owns his building, also another store building in Prophetstown, and his residence and six lots in the same village. In addition to his Prophetstown property, he is the owner of 220 acres of land in Green Co., Iowa, which he rents. Mr. Hotchkiss is a member of the Freemasons, Knights Templars and the I.O.O.F. Mr. Hotchkiss died in Prophetstown, March 8, 1872, and Mr. Hotchkiss formed another matrimonial alliance Nov. 4, 1873, with Miss Lydia E. Leach, a daughter of Francis and Adelphia Leach. She was born in New York, July 29, 1841. One son has been born of the latter union, Halla G., March 20, 1876, in Prophetstown. [Transcribed by Marji Turner Whiteside County History 1885 Pg 631]
CLARENCE B. HOUGHTON
Clarence B. Houghton, farmer, on section 8m, Ustick Township, is the son of Levi and Clarissa B. (Jackson) Houghton, who were pioneers of 1843 in Whiteside County, and of whom as full a sketch as possible is given with that of H. L. Houghton. Mr. Houghton of this personal narration was born Nov. 11, 1848, in the township where he is now identified with the agricultural class. He was educated chiefly in the common schools, and later went to Bryant & Stratton’s Commercial College at Chicago, where he spent five months. With the exception of six months, during which he was engaged in mercantile business at Fulton, he has devoted his life to the pursuit of agriculture and raising stock. His estate includes 300 acres in Ustick Township, of which three-fifths is in tillage. Mr. Houghton is a Republican, and has served official positions.
His first marriage occurred Dec. 11, 1872, in Carroll Co., Ill., when Jane E French became his wife. Her parents, Norman and Mary (Dunsbee) French, were natives of Vermont. The latter died Dec. 11, 1855, in Carroll County. Their family included three children: Jane E., Mary E., and Mary D.
Mrs. Houghton died Feb. 9, 1874. Mr. Houghton was a second time married, Oct. 5, 1876, to Mary D. French, sister of his first wife, and they have three children: Roy I., Harry F., and an infant son, unmade, born May 26, 1885. [Contributed by Marji Turner Pg. 472, Whiteside County History 1880]
HARRISON L. HOUGHTON
Harrison L Houghton, farmer, section 8, Ustick Township, is the son of levi and Clarissa B. (Jackson) Houghton, pioneers of 1843 in Whiteside County, whether they came from their native county of Herkimer in the State of New York. They passed the first year in Fulton and removed thence permanently to Ustick Township. The mother died there Oct. 25, 1861, and after that event the father went to Fulton, where he is now a resident. Their children were named Harrison L., George, Amelia C., Samuel N., Clarence B., Sedate W., Stewart D. The oldest son was born Dec. 1, 1831 in Herkimer Co., N. Y., and he was 12 years old when he became a resident in Whiteside County. He lived with them at Fulton and has continued to live in Ustick Township since 1844. He is now a prominent and progressive farmer, and owns 260 acres of land, of which 130 acres is in excellent agricultural condition. In his political affiliation Mr. Houghton is a Republican, and he has held several official township positions. He was married March 15, 1857, in Mt. Carroll, Carroll Co., Ill., to Clarissa A., daughter of Canfield and Emily (Sylvester) Blodgett. Her father and mother were natives of Jefferson So., N. Y. where the latter died. Her father removed in the spring of 1857 to Whiteside County, and located in the township of Union Grove. He died march 10, 1877, in Morrison. The nine children of the family were born in the following order: Rufus K., Clarissa A., Sylvester S., Jennie M., Douglass D., Emily I., Harrson H., Guvera M. and Phebe E. Mrs. Houghton was born July 2, 1831, in Jefferson Co., N. Y. Of two children born to herself and her husband, only Hattice C. is living. Emily died Jan. 25, 1861, aged three years. [Transcribed by Marji Turner, Whiteside County History 1885 Pg 463]
Levi Houghton, retired farmer of Fulton, and an early settler of Whiteside County, was born in the State of New York, March 26, 1805, and is the son of Elijah and Martha (Oaks) Houghton. He removed with his family to Otsego Co., N.Y. in childhood, and from there to Herkimer County when he was 13 years of age, where he was married Sept. 30, 1830, to Clarissa Jackson, daughter of Samuel Jackson, whose father was a cousin of Gen. Jackson. They had five sons and two daughters: Harrison married Clarissa Blodgett and lives in Ustick; George died in childhood; Amelia C. is the wife of Mr. Conkey, of Grand Rapids, Mich.; Samuel N. married May McDaniels and lives in Nebraska; Clarence B. married Mary French and lives in Ustick; Sedate W. is the wife of James F. Ward, of Fulton; and Daniel S. is single and lives in Dakota. Mr. Houghton moved from Herkimer to Lewis Co., N.Y., soon after his marriage, and from there to Ustick, Whiteside Co., Ill., in 1845. He had a fine farm of 400 acres in that township, which he has deeded to his two youngest sons, reserving the income while he lives. Mrs. Houghton died Oct. 25, 1861. Mr. Houghton was married again April 15, 1862, and in the town of Ustick, to Miss Elizabeth Todd, daughter of Moses Todd, of Newburyport, Mass. Mrs. Houghton was born in Philadelphia, Pa. Mr. Houghton retired from farming in 1872 and came to Fulton, since which time he has resided in this city. He was a Democrat up to 1860, when he joined the Republican party. Mrs. Houghton is a member of the Presbyterian Church of Fulton. [Contributed by Debbie Thormahlen (April 2008) from Portraits & Biographical Pg 247, Whiteside County IL; 1885]
Of Mt. Pleasant Township
James Houseman is a farmer on section 14, Mt. Pleasant Twp., where he has prosecuted his agricultural projects since his removal to Whiteside County in 1856. He was born April 7, 1825, in Montgomery Co., NY. He was reared to the vocation in which he is now engaged, and which he pursued in his native State. His farm of 160 acres is all under tillage. His parents, John and Ann (Scribner) Houseman, were born in the state of NY where they reared a family of five childen, named George, James, William, John and Emmett. The marriage ofMr. Houseman to Elizabeth Van Wagner took place June 10, 1856, in the township where they have since lived. She was born July 19, 1830 in Erie Co., NY. Gilbert and Lydia (Knox) Van Wagner, her parents, were born in that state, and their children are Edgar, Mary, Elizabeth. Following are the name sof the children of Mr. and Mrs. Houseman - Emmett P., Nora, Edgar M., Arthur and Emma A. Mr. Houseman is an adherent of the Democratic party in politics. [Portrait & Biographical Pg 294]
GEORGE W. HOWE
George W Howe, resident at Coleta, was born July 25, 1849, in Lawrence Co., Pa. His parents, Jacob and Hannah (Durstine) Howe, were born in Pennsylvania, and were of German extraction with a slight admixture of English blood. The family came to Illinois in 1855, and at that time included three sons and two daughters. Mr. Howe is the oldest son and second child, and was nearly six years of age when his father located at Tround Grove, in Mt. Pleasant Township. Eight children were born after the parents fixed their residence in Whti4eside County. Two are deceased, and of the survivors five live in Illinois. They were born in the following order: Mary A., George W., Nancy J., James M., William J., Jessie D., Hannah E., Madison M., Eliza O. and Susannah. The deceased were David H. and Francis. Two sons by adoption, Martin and Jacob, have been reared by them. Mr. Howe remained at home and attended school through nearly all the years of his minority. His mother died of heart disease. In 1861 his father entered the Union army, and in April, 1864, the son enlisted in the 140th Regt. Ill. Vol. Inf., consisting of men for the special service of 100 days, although he was not yet 15 years of age. Not long after his enrollment he was attacked by a kidney disease which resulted in injury to he eyes and which confined him to the hospital throughout nearly the entire period of his enlistment; and, although his command was attached to the Army of the Potomac, he saw little actual service save skirmishing. He was sent on sick leave to the Union hospital at Memphis, Tenn., afterward to Chicago, where he received honorable discharge Oct. 29, 1864. Returning home, he engaged in general farm labor after he regained his health. Feb. 17, 1870, he was married, at Coleta, to Susannah, daughter of Martin and Barbara (Arford) Overholser. (See sketch of H. S. Bushman.) Mrs. Howe was born Nov. 6, 1851, in Tuscarawas Co., Ohio. Her parents removed to Genesse Township when she was about three years of age. The household of Mr. and Mrs. Howe includes seven children, -- Abner R., William M., Hattie T., Clarence J., Martin O., Anna M. and Samuel S. Daisy died Jan. 17, 1885. After his marriage Mr. Howe engaged in mercantile business at Coleta, in which he as since operated. In November, 1884, he was appointed Justice of the Peace, and has since engaged in the duties of the position, proving himself an efficient and competent magistrate on the frequent occasions when his services have been required. He is the proprietor of 160 acres of land, situated on section 12, Clyde Township. The place is in good condition, with farm buildings. Mr. Howe is independent in political opinion and has taken no interest in general elections, having never voted for a President. He is a member of the G. A. R., of the A. O. U. W. and of the United Brethren Church, of which latter society Mrs. Howe is also a member. [Transcribed by Marji Turner, Whiteside County History 1885 Pg 524]
BACK -- HOME
© Copyright Genealogy Trails