Speaking of music teachers of former years, may I mention Prof. Will Pfulb. In the 1880's and 1890's he drove around with horse and buggy on muddy roads, with snow drifted high at times, through Montmorency township and gave lessons and inspired children to love good music and rhythm. He was very exact, seeking perfection and interpreting the theme of the author. He encouraged children to play duets, hymns and ballards too. "Flow Gently, Sweet Afton" was one of the first I learned. He deserves credit for this fine service in what seems like pioneer days now. He also played for revival services when many were converted. [By Miss Daisy Barnum Sterling Gazette 17 Mar 1946]
OF Fulton Township
John Phelps is a native of Greenfield, Franklin County Mass. and at the age of 17 went to Hartford CT where he remained for 8 years as clerk in a store, and in 1844 came to Whiteside County and settled in Fulton. He at first entered the store of Augustine Phelps as a clerk, and afterwards became a partner, the firm name being A & J Phelps. The firm continued to do business until the death of the senior partner, when Mr. Phelps commenced as a merchant upon his own account. In 1855 he disposed of his store to Patrick & Hollinshead, and since that time has not engaged in business. Mr. Phelps at an early day took an active part in behalf of the interest of Fulton, and has been frequently called upon by his fellow citizens to hold public positions, having been School Director, Township School Treasurer, Supervisor and Assessor of the town, Alderman of the city, etc. He still resides on his old homestead near the river. [Pg 189-190 Bent-Wilson 1877]
JOHN PHELPS, deceased, an early pioneer merchant of Fulton and one of the most enterprising and respected citizens, was born in Greenfield, Franklin Co., Mass., April 8, 1819. His parents were John and Almeda (Newton) Phelps, of English descent. When 16 years of age John went to Hartford, Conn., where he was employed as a clerk in a drygoods store nine years. In 1844 he came to Fulton, Ill., where he formed a partnership with an elder brother, Augustine Phelps, under the firm name of A. and J. Phelps, dealers in general merchandise. The firm continued to do business until the death of Mr. Augustine Phelps, after which Mr. John Phelps carried on the business alone till 1855, when he sold out to Patrick. & Hollinshead. He then built the stone warehouse on the levee and was engaged in warehouse business for some years. He was married at Fulton, in June, 1848, to Miss Ellen Humphries, daughter of C. and Almira Humphries, and step-daughter of John Baker, the first white settler at Fulton. Mrs. Phelps was born at Collinsville, Conn. Mr. and Mrs. Phelps had two children, a daughter and son: Hattie N. is the widow of Robert Robinson; the son, Dwight, married Louise C. Stetler, and is a resident of Iowa. In the fall of 1853 Mr. Phelps and Judge James McCoy purchased a printing-press and office outfit in St. Louis; but as the steamer having the press on board was caught in the ice at Rock Island, it was not until the following spring that it reached its destination. The first paper was issued in May, 1854 and was called the Whiteside Investigator. This was the first paper published at Fulton. Mr. Phelps took an active part in the early railroad projects, and was chosen a member of the first Board of Directors of the Mississippi & Rock River Junction Railroad, and aided materially in securing the construction of the first railroad to Fulton. He was frequently chosen to fill public positions, and served as School Director, Assessor, Township School Treasurer, Supervisor of the town, Alderman of the city and Township Clerk. He was a prominent Freemason, having taken the highest degree in that order, being a member of Fulton City Lodge, No. 189, A. F. & A. M., of which he was an officer many years. He was also a member and officer of Fulton Chapter, No. 108, R. A. M., and of the Dixon Commandery and Freeport Consistory. In politics he was Republican. Mr. Phelps was a man of many noble qualities, and remarkable for a keen sense of honor and the strictest integrity. His word was considered as good as his bond. While among his fellow citizens he was known as" Honest John Phelps." He lost his wife, an estimable lady, Oct. 10, 1877, and for several years prior to his death he was not in business, but lived quietly at his old homestead in the company of his only daughter, Mrs. Robinson. His death occurred Feb. 5, 1884. [Portraits and Biographical 1895 - Pg 300]
Of Union Grove Twp.
John Phinney, a citizen of Union Grove Township, located on a farm on section 13, is engaged in the twofold calling of agriculturist and teacher. He was born April 29, 1825, in Monkton, Addison Co., Vt., where he obtained a common-school education, and he extended the scope of his intellectual attainments at the academy at Bakersfield, Vt. His parents, Martin and Sally (Mallory) Phinney, were natives of Vermont and were of Scotch and English lineage. They remained in the State of their nativity throughout their lives. They had three children, - John, Harris and Sally. The mother died in 1830 and the father contracted a second marriage, with Mercy Brown. To them two children were born, Dan A. and Ellen M. The former died near Iowa City of typhoid fever, in 1856, and is buried in the Quaker burying-ground near that city. On completing his education Mr. Phinney applied himself to the occupation of teaching, which he followed in Vermont between two and three years. In April, 1854, he came to Wlliteside County and first located in the township of Union Grove, where he pursued the vocation of teacher two years. In 1856 he went to Como, and was there occupied in the same capacity four years. In 1860 he bought a farm in the township of Montmorency, where he engaged in farming two years, spending the winters in teaching. In 1862 he sold his farm and went to Sterling, where he taught one year. At the expiration of that time he made an engagement to take charge of the school at Unionville, where he was employed three years. He then returned to Sterling to enter upon an engagement as teacher, which existed five years, after which he tanght two years in Unionville. From there he went to Hopkins Township, and after teaching there two years he engaged in the same capacity at Como, where he continued to operate four years. In the fall of 1883 he began to teach in Mt. Pleasant township, where he was engaged seven months. The aggregate of his teaching in Whiteside County covers a period of 3 years. He bought his farm in Union Grove Township in the fall of 1872, consisting of 88 acres, and where he has maintained his residence since the property came into his possession. It is nearly all under Cultivation. In political relations Mr. Phinney is independent. He formed a matrimonial alliance with Alzina L. Twitchell, April 18, 1855. and they have had three children, - Burritt E., Martin Loyal and Effie B. The oldest son died Oct. 20, 1883, in Union Grove Township, at the age of 25 years. He fixed upon the calling of a jeweler, and spent four years in preparation for making that the business of his life, serving his apprenticeship at Morrison. He contracted consumption and went to California in the vain hope of recovery. He returned home and died at the home of his parents in Union Grove. He lies buried in the cemetery at Morrison. The second son is a student at Oberlin, Ohio. Mrs. Phinney was born in New Haven, Vt., May 1, 1836. She is the daughter of L. C. Twitchell, of whom a sketch appears on another page. [Portraits & Biographical Pg 320]
CHARLES T. PIERCE
Of Erie IL
Charles T. Pierce, proprietor of the Erie grist-mill, at Erie, is a son of Jonas and Fannie (Earle) Pierce, and was born in Royalston, Worcester Co.; Mass., July 11, 1837. His father was a farmer by occupation and was a native of the same county, as was likewise his mother. His parent’s family consisted of ten children, seven of whom are living, namely: William, Harriet, James, Charles T., George and Willard. Charles T. was reared on the farm, assisting in the maintenance of the family and attending the common schools until he attained the age of manhood. He then came to Sycamore, De Kalb County, and engaged to work in a grist-mill, at that place, where he learned the business. He soon afterwards purchased an interest in the mill, and the firm name became Cox, Pierce & Block. Mr. Pierce continued in the mill until 1874, when he sold his interest in the same, and came to this county and purchased his present mill at Erie, and has since continued to run it. He has enlarged the mill from its original capacity, and at present can turn out 75 barrels of flour per day. He does custom work, grinds flour, feed, meal, etc., and usually employs two assistants. Mr. Pierce was united in marriage in Sycamore, May 28, 1862, to Miss Emily J., daughter of Jesse C. and Phoebe Kellogg. She was born in Sycamore, Jan. 28, 1837, and has borne to Mr. Pierce five children, three of whom are living, namely: Mary, born May 7, 1970; Susan, born Feb. 18, 1873, and Catherine, born April 6, 1874. The names of the deceased children are James, born Aug. 8, 1863; and Fannie, born Feb. 14, 1867, died in October, 1867. Mrs. Pierce's parents were among the early pioneers of De Kalb County, coming from Vermont and settling there at an early date, and she, Mrs. Pierce, was the first white child born in that county. She died in Erie, this county, March 15, 1877. Mr. Pierce is a member of the Modern Woodmen of America, and is one of the School Directors of Erie. His business is a good one, and is steadily increasing. [Portraits & Biographical Pg 750 Contributed by Marji Turner]
Help with the Centennial
Contributed by Melva L. Taylor
Gladys Pierce of Tampico should be recognized for her part in making the Tampico Centennial a success. She gave the history of the Methodist CHurch and the historical data to the Historical Spectaacular. She also gave much to the Centennial book and worked with the Wa-Tan-Ye Club for the centennial and pageant. Her help is greatly appreciated. Gladys is the daughter of the late Glen and Grace Glassburn. She is the granddaughter of H.W. Denison who settled on the farm on the north edge of Tampico with his parents Lucius and Lydia Denison in 1861. She is also the grand daughter of Albert and Mary Glassburn who settled in Tampico in 1867. She was married to the late Edwin Pierce whose family settled southwest of Tampico in 1868. Gladys worked as bookkeeper collector for the Tile Co. in Tampico for 30 years until the office closed and she retired. Since then she has rented the space in front of the Masonic building and runs a collection agency for the Continental Tile Co. and the Northern Gas Co. She likes to make afghans, paint pictures and enjoys the many flowers around her home. She has one son, Gordon Pierce who is a math teacher and ticket manager of sports in south Holland Ill. She also has a nine year old grandson Scott with whom she spends many weekends.
KNITTING BILL COLLECTOR ROCKS ON
By Lydia Sage, Dispatch Correspondent
Contributed by Melva L. Taylor
GLADYS PIERCE has been a "bill collector" for 41 years. No she's never repossessed a car or carted away anyone's bedroom suite. She the 75 year old grandmother who operates a bill payment agency from a Tampico diner and crochets afghans. Her "Shop" is tucked away in the banquet room of the Dutch Diner on S. Main Street. She sits behind a desk in a comfortable rocking chair, crocheting afghans to pass the time while waiting for customers. Pierce doesn't keep any of the afghans. She said she gives them away - dozens - to "people who do things for me, and for people I like". Pierce has operated a utility bill collection agency here for about 13 years. Before that, she worked for the defunct Tampico Farmers Mutual Telephone Co., which sold out to Continental Telephone Co. Her job as a bill collector begain in 1941, she said, when she started working in the office of the Tampico Telephone Company. I guess I was the "business office. She said she started her long career when her only child, Gordon, started school. She said she wanted to stay busy - a philosophy she had kept ever since. Pierce, who does not drive a car, walks two blocks from her home to the restaurant each day. She has missed only one day of work this winter because of the cold. Although she suffers from chronic asthma, she said "People should accept life and keep busy." She tried retirement once for about six months but she said it nearly killed her. Her doctor recommended that she go back to work, she said. A direct descendant of J. W. Glassburn, the founder of Tampico, Pierce has lived all but three years of her life in this quiet village. She said she has had a special interest in tracing her family tree, because her ancestors, on both sides of her family, were early settlers here. Pierce said she is "upset about the many distortions of Tampico's history," since Tampico's favorite son, Ronald Reagan was elected president. Her younger brother, Gordon Glassburn was a grade school classmate of Reagan and for a while many reporters were eager to interview her because of her connection to Reagan. Pierce moved her shop to Dutch Diner about a year ago. She had rented a storefront from the Tampico Masonic Lodge for her business, but had to move when the Masons rented it to another business. Pierce collects payment for Continental Telephone , the Tampico water and sewer department and Commonwealth Edison. She also distributes free light bulbs for ComEd. And as she discussed her plans for the future - which include staying in business for "quite a while" longer - she was busy crocheting yet another afghan for a Tampico woman, who recently fell and hurt her leg.
ROSWELL G. PINNEY
Roswell G. Pinney, deceased, formerly a resident on section 8, came to Lyndon township in 1868 and bought a farm of 288 acres located on sections 5 and 8. He also bought 20 acres of timber at Round Grove, and five acres in what was designated the "Big Woods." Mr. Pinney was born March 30, 1809, in Litchfield Co., Conn., and there passed his childhood and youth, and prepared to follow the business of a clothier. He was married Sept. 3, 1835, to Abbie Louisa Strong. She was born Sept. 28, 1812, in Hebron, Tolland Co., Conn. Mr. Pinney was engaged in the prosecution of the business of a clothier in Glastonbury two years after marriage, but, his health becoming impaired, he went to Erie Co.. Pa., to which place his parents had removed. He bought a farm, which he occupied several years, and removed thence to another in Crawford County, in the same State, of which he was the proprietor until 1868, the year in which he sold the place and removed to Lyndon Township, where he resided until his death, which transpired in June, 1882. To him and his wife seven children were born, of whom four are now living: George R. is a resident of Sterling; Emily J. is the wife of George Eiteman, and lives at Round Grove; Jennie L. is the youngest daughter.
Elizur E. is the owner of part of the homestead. He was born July 7, 1847, and was reared on his fathers farm, receiving a good education, which he made available as a teacher before he settled in life. He was married Nov. 4, 1874, to Carrie, daughter of Alexander and Almeda (Galt) Thompson. Francis B., Clara Belle, Nina E. and Earl T. are the names of their children. [Portraits and Biographical, 1885]
George Pittman, farmer, section 3, Hopkins Township, is a son of Abraham and Mary (Alexander) Pittman, who were natives respectively of Virginia and Pennsylvania, and came to Whiteside County in the spring of 1864 and settled in Hopkins Township, where they lived the remainder of their days. They had a family of seven children, viz.: George, James, Esther, Catherine, David, Rebecca and Caroline. The subject of this sketch was born in Fulton Co., Pa., Dec. 14, 1835. He lived in that State till 1864, when he came to Whiteside County, where he has since lived. He is the owner of 70 acres of land, in Hopkins Township, all of which is in a good tillable condition, and he has a valuable stone quarry on his farm. He was married in Fulton Co., Pa., Feb. 5, 1859, to Elizabeth Clevenger, daughter of John and Julia A. (Carbol) Clevenger, natives of the Keystone state. They had a family of four children, as follows: Elizabeth, Ann, John and Catherine. Mrs. Pittman was born in Fulton Co., Pa., Aug. 12, 1841. Mr. and Mrs. P. are the parents of seven living children, namely: Martha E., Sophia J., James H., John H., Charles M., Mary M. and Homer. Sophia J. died when five years, five months and eleven days old. In politics Mr. Pittman is identified with the Democratic party. [Contributed by Marji Turner - Portraits & Biographical]
Of Sterling Township
John Platt came to Sterling from New York State in the spring of 1838, bringing his father and mother, the family of Daniel D. Guiles, Mrs. Jones, his sister-in-law, a widowed lady, and her son, David P. Jones, now an attorney and counsellor at law in good practice, residing at Ottawa, Illinois. Mr. Platt settled in the township of Sterling where he now lives. His father died in 1866, the great age of nearly ninety years, and his mother died in 1863. Mrs. Jones has been dead a number of years. Mr. Platt is now 81 years of age. [Bent & Wilson History of Whiteside County]
JOHN HOWARD PLUMLEY
of Hume Township, Whiteside Co IL
John H. Plumley is a native of the State of Vermont, and came to Whiteside county in 1856, remaining one year in Prophetstown, and then purchasing his present farm on section twenty-nine in Hume. In 1850 he married Miss Caroline Parks, a native of Waterford, Caledonia county, Vermont. The children are; John G., and Charles C., both of whom live in Hume. When Mr. Plumley purchased his farm there were no fences or houses in sight. He got his first dwelling from Charles McCarter by trading a silver watch for it, and by enlarging it and placing it on a ridge it served as a landmark for those coming through the township. Mr Plumley has been Supervisor of the township, and held other offices, within the gift of his fellow townsmen. His farm is situated on twenty-nine and thirty-two, and contains two hundred and forty acres of land under an excellent state of cultivation. [Bent & Wilson History of Whiteside County Page 241]
Of Hopkins Twp.
William Pollock was born June 4, 1802, in Waterford, Erie county, Pennsylvama, and, was married to Miss Sarah Mason, a native of Philadelphia, May 1832. Their children were Peter V., born October 31, 1835; Mary C., born May 23,1837; James, born August 29, 1839; John W., born October 4, 1841; Eliza J, born March 16, 1843; Jane V., born December 19, 1844, and Gertrude, born September 30, 1846. Of these, James, Jane V. and Eliza J. died in infancy. Mary C. married L. B. Wadleigh, formerly of New Hampshire, November 13, 1856; children, William M., Mary A., LeRoy P., Pauline N., and Maud C. John W. married Miss Mary Smith, May 23, 1870; children, Mary and Pauline P.; two children died in infancy. Gertrude P. marned Samuel Patterson, November 1, 1872; one child, Clara M. Peter V. remains at the old homestead, and is one of the solid farmers and stock raisers of Whiteside county. Mr. Pollock was Surveyor of the county from 1847 to 1853, and at the March term of the Board of Supervisors in 1855, was appointed Drainage Commissioner, and held the position until December, 1858. He also held various township offices. [Bent - Wilson History of Whiteside County]
HENRY D. POND
Henry D. Pond, general fanner, section 31, Genesee Township, was born Oct. 12, 1840, in Portage Co., Ohio. He is the son of Stephen and Abiah (Bristol) Pond, whose record, together with a statement of the genealogy of the family in America, is presented elsewhere in this volume. He was an infant of a few months when his parents changed their residence to Huron Co., Ohio, and when he was 11 years of age they made a final transfer of their interests to Illinois, locating in Genesee Township.
Mr. Pond grew to manhood in Whiteside County passing the successive years in working on the home estate and obtaining such education as the common schools of the place and period afforded. The same blood that flowed in the veins of his ancestors in both lines of descent, and impelled them to unite in the common cause and struggle for the independence of the Colonies, furnished the impetus under whose influence he identified himself with the cause of the Union, when the echoes from the rebel guns of April 14, 1861, sounded the knell of peace. He determined to enroll himself among the defenders of the principles which had protected him, and he enlisted at Chicago, Aug. 28, 1861, in the 39th Reg. Ill. Vol. Inf. becoming a member of Company G, under Captain Slaughter. The regiment was under the command of Col. Light and was assigned to the Department of the South. During the first portion of its period of service it was attached to the command of General Grant and afterwards to that of General Butler. Among the more Important actions in which Mr. Pond was a participant, were the siege of Charleston, Deep Bottoms and the action before Petersburg. He was in numerous smaller engagements and skirmishes, and was the only one out of 16 that enlisted from his vicinity who went through three years of military service without dying or suffering from wounds or sickness. He received honorable discharge Sept. 10, 1864, at Petersburg. He served all the time in the ranks and was never captured by the rebels. He was nearly 21 years of age when he became a soldier, and on his return to Genesee Township he engaged in farming.
He was united in marriage to Margaret Fleming, March 15, 1866. at Mt. Carroll, Ill. Mrs. Pond is the daughter of Robert L. and Jane (Wilson) Fleming. Her parents were natives respectively of Philadelphia and of the State of New York. The families to which they belonged removed to Indiana. where they met and were married in Lawrence County. The daughter was born there Jan. 13, 1842, and she came with her parents to Carroll County in 1848, and grew to womanhood in that county. Her father died Feb. 27, 1878; the death of her mother occnrred Nov. 9, 1880. They had ten children and Mrs. Pond is fourth in order of birth. She is the mother of one child, Abiah D., born Dec. 24, 1873. Mr. Pond settled in his new capacity of the head of a family, on a farm containing 80 acres of land, of which 40 acres lay in Genesee Township and the other half in the township of Hopkins. It was partly improved but had no buildings. These have since been supplied and are of a creditable character. The horses and cattle on the place are of excelent grade. Mr. Pond is such a Republican as his war record evinces, and takes an active interest in local politics. Mrs. Pond accepts the views of Spiritualism. [Portraits & Biographical Pg 253]
Stephen POND, resident on section 31, Genesee Township, was born in Rutland Co., Vt., July 11, 1808. His father, Stephen Pond, Sr., was born in Berkshire Co., Mass. The earliest ancestor from his descent is clearly traced to Samuel Pond, who was married Nov. 14, 1643, at Windsor, Conn., to a lady of whom there is no trace save her given name of Sarah. This era in his existence gives tangibility to several suppositions regarding the founding of the Pond family in America, as there are traditions of two or three brothers who came hither in the time of Governor Winthrop, of Massachusetts, and who were of tender years and under the supervision of Winthrop, who kept their father in England informed concerning their welfare. Samuel, the second son of him last named, was born March 4, 1648, at Windsor, Conn., and is recorded as Samuel Pond, Jr. His second son, Philip, was the father of Dan Pond, the father of Abel Pond. The latter was the grandfather of Mr. Pond of this sketch, who is a member of the eighth generation. Stephen Pond, senior, married Elizabeth Streator. She was born March 27, 1785, in Becket, Mass., and died in Rutland Co., Vt., Dec. 22, 1810. Her family settled in New England prior to the Revolution, and seven of her brothers were in the Colonial service. Abel Pond and six of his brothers were soldiers of the Revolution.
Mr. Pond is the second of ten children born to his father, and is the youngest child of his mother, who died when he was between two and three years of age. His father married again and eight children were born of the second marriage. Mr. Pond remained under the care of his father and stepmother until he was 14 years of age. On leaving home he went to Lansingburg, in the vicinity of the city of Troy, N. Y., and he engaged soon after as a farm assistant in the neighborhood of that place. Later, he went to Windham, Portage Co., Ohio, and worked on the farm of his uncle, Jason Streator, remaining in his employ three years. He was then about 17 years of age, and he went thence to Erie Co., Pa., and began to learn the trade of a tailor. His next removal was to Nelson, in Portage Co., Ohio, where he completed his knowledge of his trade under the instructions of a craftsman named Oren Smith. He went back East and passed two years in Western Vermont and Eastern New York, operating as a journeyman tailor, after which he returned to Windham, Ohio, and he there established his business independently, and controlled a shop about five years. He concluded to turn his attention to agriculture, and he bought a farm in Huron Co., Ohio, on which he resided about ten years. In 1853 he turned his face Westward and decided to locate in Whiteside County. He bought 160 acres of land on section 31, Genesee Township, which was all unbroken prairie at the time at which he made it his homestead. He entered with all possible vigor into the work of improvement, which he prosecuted until the spring of 1864, when, after three years of war, there was need of men for immediate service. He enlisted in Co. A, 140th Ill. Regt., to serve 100 days in lieu of veteran troops who were needed where experience was indispensable. Company A was detailed for garrison duty in Tennessee and Missouri. Mr. Pond was discharged Oct. 29, 1864, after a service of 160 days. He returned to his farm, on which he has since pursued his vocation of farmer and which now contains 80 acres.
Mr. Pond was united in marriage to Abiah Bristol, May 2, 1833, in Windham, Ohio. She died May 2, 1848, in New London, Huron Co., Ohio. She was the daughter of a Connecticut farmer, and was herself born in that State, of New England ancestry. Her parents removed to Ohio, in the year preceding her marriage. She became the mother of three children, one of whom has followed her to the land of peace and silence. Elizabeth is the wife of Charles Birdsall, of Lyndon Township. Henry D. married Margaret Fleming and resides in Genesee Township (see sketch). Helen M. was born March 12, 1838, and died Sept. 11, 1856, aged nearly 19 years. Mr. Pond was again married Jan. 25, 1851, in Wayne, Knox Co., Ohio, to Phebe A. Lindsley. She was born May 11, 1819, in the place where she was married, and died March 3, 1873, in Genesee Township. Three of her children are with her in the mystic country of the hereafter. Grace C., the remaining child, married E. C. Hannawalt. Hattie and Stephen died in early childhood. The third wife of Mr. Pond is the sister of her predecessor, and her name is Elizabeth (Beers) Lindsley, and her parents were bon in New Jersey, of ancestors of mixed English and German descent and New England origin. She was born Jan. 27, 1833, in the township of Wayne, Knox Co., Ohio. She was there married to J.W. Wilson, by whom she became the mother of eight children, of whom four are not living. Amanda is deceased. Antha married Charles Chamberlain, a dentist in Lanark, Ill. Mary E. is deceased. Francis married Emma Baker and resides in Grundy Co., Iowa. Patience is the wife of Levi Thorp, a farmer in Genesee Township. Mortimer and Albert are deceased. Emma lives with her mother. Mr. Wilson died at Kansas City, Mo. [Whiteside County Portrait & Biographical, 1885]
Aaron Pope is a general farmer and stock-grower on section 34, Hume Township. He is a citizen of the United States by adoption, having been born Feb. 23, 1845, in Lincolnshire, England. His father, Abraham Pope, was an English mechanic and married 5arah Crampton, a native of that shire and country. In 1853 they came to the United States and made their first location in the township of Lyndon, in Whiteside County. After three years they went to Tampico Township, where they lived until 1874. In that year they removed to Vancouver's Island, where the mother died Dec. 11, 1878, aged 75 years and four months. Abraham Pope is still living there. At the age of 22 years Mr. Pope commenced business independently by renting a farm, in which method he continued two years, when he became, by purchase, the owner of the homestead of his parents, and of which he was the proprietor and manager until his removal to Hume Township, where he purchased 160 acres of land as a beginning. He is at present the owner of 400 acres of land, under good improvement, with two good residences and other buildings.
He was married Feb. 22, 1874, to Mary A., daughter of Daniel Welzell, whose sketch is given on another page. They have one child, - J. Thomas, born Jan. 22, 1877. Mrs. Pope was born in Tuscarawas Co., Ohio, and came in childhood with her parents to Whiteside County. Mr. Pope is a Republican in his views of national policy. [Portraits & Biographical Whiteside County IL 1885]
Henry Pott, farmer, residing on section 27, Hahnaman Township, is a native of Germany, and was born in that county July 14, 1844. His parents, Jacob and Catharine (Strob) Pott, were also natives of Germany and emigrated to the United States and settled in Sterling, this county, in 1853. His father died in the latter place Feb. 17, 1881. The issue of this union was eight children, namely: John, who died in Germany; Christian, Henry, Joseph, Barbara, Mathias, Peter and Mary. Henry Pott came with parents to this country in 1853 and direct to this county, arriving here when in his ninth year, and consequently has been a resident of the county for 25 years, and during which time he has been closely identified with its agricultural advancement.
Aug. 11, 1862, Mr. Pott enlisted in Co. D, 75th Ill. Vol. Inf., and served until Feb. 15, 1865, at which date he received a discharge on account of a gunshot wound which deprived him of his left eye. He received the wound at Lovejoy Station, Ga. At the battle of Perryville, Ky., Oct. 8, 1862, he received a wound in the hip which, nevertheless, did not incapacitate him from duty. On receiving his discharge Mr. Pott returned to this county, where he has since lived. He settled in Hahnaman Township in 1861, and is now the owner of 154 acres on section 27, 110 of which is tillable. He is a deserving pensioner of the Government, and receives a pension for the loss of an eye as stated.
Mr. Pott was united in marriage at Sterling, this county, Oct. 10, 1868, with Miss Mary, daughter of George and Elizabeth (Kauffman) Spangler, natives of Pennsylvania. The came to this county in 1863 and settled in Sterling Township, where her father died. His death was caused by drowning in Rock River, and occurred in August, 1863. Her mother died in Hahnaman Township, March 26, 1873. The issue of their union was seven children, Mary, Sarah, Abraham, Elizabeth, George, Jonas and Ida.
Mrs. Pott was born in Cumberland Co., Pa. Aug. 11, 1853. She and her husband are the parents of seven children, namely: Henry C., Elizabeth, Jacob R., George A., Emma M., Albert B. and Catharine.
Mr. Pott has held the office of Overseer of Highways four years and School Director for ten year, and Clerk of the Board for five years, and politically is an independent. He and his wife are members of the German Catholic Church. [Portrait and Biographical Album of Whiteside County, Illinois, Chapman Brothers Publishing Co., Chicago, 1885. Pg 366]
GEORGE A. POTTER
Of Fenton Twp.
George A. Potter, a farmer of Fenton Township, is a native of Whiteside County, as he was born May 3, 1849 in Lyndon Township. He is the son of Martin M. and Salena (Perry) Potter. His father came to Whiteside County in the summer of 1837. He was born Oct. 28, 1812, in Richfield, Ostego Co., N.Y. and was the son of George and Alsarah Potter. He lived in his native county principally until 1835, when he went to Aurora, Erie Co., N.Y. where he was employed in a flour mill. While there he made the acquaintance of Diantha, daughter of John C. and Hannah (Olds) Pratt to whom he was married Nov. 28, 1836. In August 1837 he accompanied the parents of his wife to Whiteside County. Martin M. Potter resided near Prophetstown, in Lyndon Township, for four years, when he bought a farm int he township of Unon Grove, upon which he made his home for another four years. He then sold the place and was an occupant of the J.C. Pratt farm until 1851, when he bought a farm on section 25, township 20, range 4, which is now the township of Fenton. He bought additional land on sections 23 and 24, until he wsa the proprietor of 395 acres. He resided on his estate until his death Nov. 10, 1884. He was married July 22, 1847 to Salena Perry. She was born Jan. 22, 1831 in Amity, Allegany Co., N.Y. and is a daughter of Calvary P. and Lydia (Robins) Perry, natives respectively of Vermont and Massachusetts. The first wife of Mr. Potter, who died Nov. 2, 1846 was the mother of four children - ELiza J., born Oct. 17, 1837 and mrried D.P. Perry who lost his life in the military service of the U.S. and who left two children. She afterwards married George McKnight, and died June 6, 1870; Dewitt Clinton lives in Shelby Co., Iowa; Charles W. is a resident of Brown Co. Neb. He served four years in the army and is now a prominent and influential citizen where he lives; James Madison was born March 6, 1843 and died Oct. 12, 1846 in less than a month before his mother's death.
There were eight children by the second marriage. George A. is the occupant of the homestead; Florence L. mrried Nelson W. Stone, and they live in Adair Co. Iowa; Emery D. was born Feb. 17, 1856; he married Lettie, daughter of Fred Hille and died Jan. 10, 1884 in Harlan Iowa; Sarah S. is the wife of Caleb B. Smith and lives in Fletcher, Sac Co., Iowa. Frank Martin born Sept. 5, 1860 died Jan. 16, 1884, six days after his brother; John F. lives with his mother; Mary, born Nov. 27, 1868 died Dec. 26, 1868. Martin M. Potter was one of the ablest, most public-spirited of the early citizens of the county. His entire career was one undeviating record of usefulness and integrity. He was justice of the Peace nearly all the time he lived in Fenton Township, and was active in every project for the promotion of the general welfare of the public. He is remembered for his worth and excellent character.
Mr. Potter of this sketch, is a worthy son of a worthy sire. He grew to the estate of manhood on his father's farm and acted as an assistant on the homestead and attended school. He was married March 4, 1874 to Emma C., daughter of Humphrey and Susanna P. (Whitlock) Thompson. She was born in Ohio. They settled on a portion of the Potter homestead, which is now their property. The following is a record of their children - Ethie born Jan. 25, 1875 and died March 27, 1875; Lena M., born March 4, 1876 died March 15, 1881; Georgia L. and Mabel O. are living; Earl T. was born Nov. 14, 1881 and died Sept. 30, 1883. [Transcribed by Christine Walters - History of Whiteside County Portraits & Biographical Pg. 642]
GEORGE W. POTTER
George W. Potter, farmer, residing on section 20, Prophetstown Township, where he owns 200 acres of land, is a son of Luman C. and Mercy (Phillips) Potter, and was born in Rutland Co. Vt., April 23, 1838.His father was a farmer, born in Rutland County, as likewise was his mother. She died when George W. was only four years of age. The father still survives her, and resides in Rutland County. They were the parents of five children, three of whom yet survive. Theresa is the wife of Lorenzo Seamans, a farmer residing in Wayne Co. Mich.; George W. is next in order of birth and the subject of this notice; Elvira is the wife of Albert Tomlinson, and resides near Saratoga Springs, N.Y., where he is engaged in railroading. The two deceased were Edwin and Therendus and were the two eldest of the children.
Mr. Potter was reared on the farm, receiving such education as was attainable at the common schools of his native county. In April 1861, he enlisted in Co. B. Second Vt. Vol. Inf., as private and served three years. He was promoted to Sergeant March 7, 1862 and first or Orderly Sergeant Dec. 23, 1862. He has a splendid military record. He was engaged in the following 17 battles: Bull Run, Va., July 21, 1861; Lee's Mills, Va., April 29, 1862; Williamsburg, Va., May 5, 1862; Golding's Farm, Va., June 27, 1862; Savage Stateion, Va., June 29, 1862; White-Oak Swamp, Va., June 30, 1862; Crampton's Pass, Sept. 18, 1862; Antitam, Md., Sept. 17, 1862; Fredericksburg, Va., Dec. 13, 1862; Mary's Heights, Va., May 3, 1862; Banks' Ford, Va., May 4, 1863; Franklin's Ford, Va., June 5, 1863; Gettsburg, Pa., July 2 and 3, 1863; Finkstown, Md., July 10, 1863; Rappahannock Station, Va., Nov. 7, 1863; Mine Run, Va., Nov. 28, 1863; Wilderness, Va., May 5, 1864. He received five wounds, the last one at the battle of the Wilderness in the left side, which laid him up for about three months. The other wounds were mere scratches, compared with the latter, and did not incapacitate him for active participation in engagements in which his company partook. After receiving his discharge he returned to Vermont, and Dec. 25, 1864 in Sudbury, that State, he was united in marriage to Miss Paulina Ridlond, daughter of Thomas and Delilah Baxter Ridlond. She was born in Rutland Co., Vt., Feb. 14, 1840, and bore to her husband one child, Luman T., who died when 15 months old. Mrs. potter died April 24, 1868 and Mr. Potter was again married, in Lyndon village, this county, Jan. 30, 1877 to Maria L. Gould, nee Button. She was born in Hamilton N.Y.
Mr. Potter came West in 1865 and located in Prophetstown Twp., where he worked at the occupation of a farmer on rented land three years. He then purchased 160 acres of land of his present farm, and by subsequent purchases has increased his landed interests until he is the proprietor of 200 acres. He has a good residence on his farm, together with substantial out-buildings and an orchart, and small fruit in abundance. He also has a maple grove of 1,500 trees, raised from seed sown in 1866 and re-set in the spring of 1870. The following facts will give an idea of the rapidity of the growth of the maple and walnut trees, and will show how quickly groves may be grown; The largest one of the maple trees measures around the trunk, four feet above ground, five feet four inches. A willow tree in his back yard, that has grown from a cutting the size of a mans thumb, planted in the ground in the spring of 1871, now measures eight feet two inches around the trunk, four feet above the ground. He also has a black walnut grove of 300 trees, grown from seed planted in 1878. The largest of these measures seven inches around and 21 feet 4 inches high. He makes no specialty of any department of farming, but raises horses, cattle, sheep and hogs. Merino sheep and Chester White hogs are his favorite stock. Mr. Potter is a member of the School Board and has held the position three terms. Socially, he is a member of the I.O.O.F. [Transcribed by Christine Walters - History of Whiteside County Portraits & Biographical Pg. 642]
MARTIN M. POTTER
Of Fenton Township
Martin M. Potter was born at Richfield, Otsego Co NY Oct 28, 1812 and came to Whiteside county August 11, 1837, settling first at Prophetstown ferry, where he remained 4 years and then moved to Union Grove, where he also remained 4 years and then returned to Prophetstown ferry. Here he lived until 1851, when he settled on his present farm in Fenton. Mr Potter married his first wife, Miss Diantha D. Pratt, sister of James M. Pratt in Aurora, Erie County NY November 28, 1836. By this marriage he had the following children: Eliza Jane, born October 17, 1837; DeWitt Clinton, July 25, 1839; Charles W. October 19, 1841 and James M. March 6 1843. His wife died on the 2nd of November 1846 and on the 22nd of July 1847 he married his second wife, Miss Selina Perry.
The following have been the children by this marriage: Geroge A. born May 3, 1849; Florence L. June 20 1851; Henry C., September 22 1853; Emory D., February 17 1856; Sarah S., March 9 1858; Frank M., September 5 1860; John F., July 11 1866 and Mary, November 27 1868. The eldest of the children by the first wife, Eliza Jane, married David P. Perry, who died while in service druring the late war, leaving her a widow with two children. She afterwards married Geo. McKnight and died Jun 6, 1870. James M. died October 12, 1846 and Mary December 26, 1868. DeWitt C. Married Harriet Brown and is a resident of Shelby Co IA. Chas W. married Harriet Shorrett, and also lives in Shelby County Iowa; George A. married Emma M. Thompson and lives in Fenton; Florence L. married Nelson W. Stone and lives in Prophetstown; Henry C. married Phoebe M. Richmond and lives in Lyndon; Sarah S. married Caleb B. Smith and lives in Lyndon; Emory D., Frank M., and John F. reside at h ome. Mr. Potter was one of the first Justices of the Peace elected in Fenton and has held the office almost uninterruptedly since. He has also frequently been School Trustee, and School Treasurer of the town. When the project was started to form an Old Settlers Association with an annual meeting and basket picnic, he was one of the most active and energetic in its advocacy, and to him the success which attended the effort is in a great measure due. His position at these yearly gatherings of WHiteside's pioneers, is usually that of chairman of the committee of arrangements, which not only involves a great responsibility, but entails a very large amount of labor. These are met by a skill and judgment as creditable to him as they are advantageous to the occasion. Mr. Potter's farm lies on sections 23,24 and 25 and consists of 320 acres, all of which is in a body and is under a fine degree of cultivation. He has also 20 acres of wood land on section 36. [Bent & Wilson History of Whiteside County, Page 201]
CLARK R. POWELL
Clark R. Powell, farmer and nurseryman, section 23, Sterling Township, was born Sept. 12, 1826, in Saratoga Co., N. Y. He is the son of Joseph and Hannah (Howerman) Powell, and his parents were born and passed their entire lives in the State of New York. The names of their children were Jacob, Lydia Ann, Nathaniel, Martha, Eliza, Henry S., Clark R. and Nelson. Mr. Powell of this sketch was educated in the common schools, attended academy at Macedon Center four months, and at the age of 23 left home to make his own way in the world. He came to Whiteside County in 1849. His first purchase of land was made in Lee County and comprised 160 acres, which he afterwards sold, and bought 30 acres where he has since operated. In 1850 he engaged in the nursery business, and he now owns 80 acres, of which about 20 acres is devoted to nursery and orchard. His place is known as the Sterling Nurseries, and he is engaged in the growth and sale of all kinds of trees common to the trade, besides general nursery stock of a miscellaneous character. Mr. Powell is a Republican in political sentiments, and supports the issues of that party. He was married in Mendon, Monroe Co., N. Y., Oct. 17, 1853, to Mary E., daughter of Henry and Judith S. (Russell) Quick. Mrs. Powell was born Oct. i2, 1834, in Ulster Co., N. Y., and her parents were born in the same State. Their children were named James S., Mary E., Rachel J., Susan M., Sidney, Minnie A. and Madison D. The names of the children of Mr. and Mrs. Powell are Albert, Melissa A., Edwin, Theron and Martha. [Portraits & Biographical Whiteside County IL 1885]
HENRY S. POWELL
Henry S. Powell is a farmer on section 12, in Sterling Township. His parents, Joseph and Hannah (Benerman) Powell, lived after their marriage in Saratogo Co., N. Y. and afterwards in Monroe Co., N. Y., where they died. They had nine children, all of whom lived to maturity with one exception. Mr. Powell was born Dec. 7, 1823, in Saratoga Co. N. Y.., and he was nine years of age when his parents removed thence to Monroe County. He is the fifth child, and he remained in Monroe County throughout the remaining years of his minority, coming , in 1844, to Whiteside Co., Ill. About three years subsequent to his removal hither, he bought 150 acres of land in Sterling Township, and he has since purchased 75 acres additional. The place is in valuable agricultural condition, with an orchard containing 400 trees and excellent buildings. In political affinity Mr. Powell is identified with the Republican party. He was married in Genesee Township, Feb. 16, 1853, to Elizabeth Batchelder, a native of Vermont. She died May 10, 1883, having been the mother of nine children, four of whom lived to grow up – John, George, Lucia M. and Jessie B. The oldest son was drowned when he was 16 years of age. [Transcribed by Marji Turner - Portraits & Biographical Pg 371]
Jacob Powell is a farmer of Sterling Township, and owns 220 acres of land on section 13, where he settled in the fall of 1845. He was born Jan. 19, 1814, in Dutchess Co., N. Y., and is the son of Joseph and Hannah (Bowerman) Powell. Their children were eight in number, and the son who is the subject of this sketch is the oldest. He lived in his native State chiefly until his removal to Whiteside County. He made a purchase of 160 acres of land at first, to which he has added 60 acres, and the entire tract is under cultivation. Mr. Powell is a Republican in political preference. His marriage to Eliza (Corscaden) Brown took place in Sterling Township, April 15, 1863. She was the widow of Joseph Brown, who died July 24, 1862, at Sterling. He was a soldier in the Civil War and belonged to Cheney's Battery. He was taken ill while at his post of duty, and obtained a furlough. Before its expiration he died as stated. He left two children,—Jennie and Jessie. Arthur died previous to his father s death. Mrs. Powell is the daughter of Richard and Jane Crawford Corscaden. Her father was born in Scotland; her mother was born in Ireland, of Scottish parentage. Mrs. Powell was also born in Ireland, in October, 1824. [Portraits & Biographical Whiteside County IL 1885]
Horace Powers, a farmer residing on section 17, Erie Township, and the owner of 85 acres located thereon, is a son of John and Roselma (Munn) Powers, and was born near Cleveland, Ohio, Nov. 24, 1839. His father was a native of New York, a farmer by occupation, and died when the subject of this biographical notice was but one year of age. His mother was a native of the same State, and, after the death of her husband, married Matthias Dunlap, who was a cooper and a farmer by occupation, and who is also deceased. She resides in Nebraska. Mr. Powers had one brother and three sisters, all of whom are deceased. Soon after his father's death, the mother moved to Chicago, where Mr. Powers, of this sketch, resided with her and his step-father until he was 13 years of age. The faintly then moved to Peoria, and he accompanied them, where they remained about 18 months, and then, in 1853, they came to Fenton Township, this county, and purchased land located partly in Fenton and partly in Erie Township, and on which the family resided for a number of years. Mr. Powers was united in marriage in Fenton Township, Dec. 11, 1866, to Miss Mercy A. Peck, daughter of William and Rhoda (Brooks) Peck. She was born in Warren Co., Pa., April 14, 1840. Two children have been born of their union— Otis Alonzo, Jan. 9, 1868, and Luella, Oct. 23, 1869. Soon after his marriage, Mr. Powers bought 40 acres of his present farm, and has increased his acreage by subsequent purchases, until he is now the owner of 80 acres of good farming land, and has a nice residence good out buildings, orchard, etc.
Feb. 23, 1865, Mr. Powers enlisted in the War for the Union, joining Co. G, 156th Ill. Vol. Inf., and received his discharge at the end of the term of enlistment, Sept. 20, 1865. The parents of Mrs. Powers came to Fenton Township, when she was about 14 years of age, and both died in the county, the father in Fenton and the mother in Erie Township. [Portraits & Biographical Whiteside County IL 1885]
JAMES M. PRATT
OF Fenton Township
Hon. James M. Pratt, of Fenton Township, was born April 7, 1822, in Aurora, Erie Co., N. Y. John C. Pratt, his father, was born in Northampton, Hampshire Co., Mass., April 8, 1787, and his parents were natives of the same place where he was born. The family emigrated, in 1808, with ox teams from the Bay State, to Erie Co., N. Y., where they were early settlers. John C. Pratt, on attaining suitable age, bought land of the Holland Company. It was in heavy timber, and he was engaged in clearing a farm when the War of 1812 with Great Britain came on, and he enlisted, remaining in the military service until the close of the conflict. He returned to his farm, and soon afterward built a saw and flour mill on Buffalo Creek. He abandoned his agricultural projects, and devoted his entire attention to his milling interests. Later he bought a saw and grist mill, situated on the same stream, at a distance of a mile, and continued to operate inth establishments until 1835, when he came to Whiteside County and made a claim in what is now the townshipp of Lyndon. He went back to his native State, disposed of his property and made arrangements for a permanent removal to Illinois. In 1837 he started for Chicago, by way of the lakes, traveling from there with teams to Lyndon. A log house had been built on his claim, of which the household took possession. The senior Pratt at once entered upon the improvement of a farm, on which he passed the remainder of his life, dying in December, 1843. His wife survived him until March 9, 1879. Four of their 13 children are now living. Mr. Pratt, of this sketch, is the oldest; Amanda is the wife of Joseph Shorett and lives in Iowa; Lucius H. lives in Lyndon; Thurston resides in Iowa.
Mr. Pratt was 15 years of age when he accompanied his parents to Whiteside County. He resided with them until the death of his father, and continued to live with his mother until his marriage. Nov. 17, 1844, he was married to Lucinda Emery. She was born May 1O, 1828, in Moriah, Essex Co., N. Y., and is the daughter of John and Lucinda (Tarbell) Emery. In the year following his marriage Mr. Pratt settled on his farm, and has been a resident thereon since. He had become the owner of 80 acres of land on section 26, in what is now Fenton Township. On this he built a log house, and began to operate as a farmer. He has been successful in his efforts, and the results of his energetic attention to his business show the value of his judgment in directing his transactions. He is now the owner of a magnificent tract, containing 800 acres in excellent condition for prosperous farming. Mr. Pratt has been correspondingly active in the relation of a good citizen to the general welfare. He was the first Supervisor of Fenton Township, has held the position several terms, arid has been Chairman of the Board. He has held other offices in the township, and in 1872 was made the first President of Whiteside Agricultural Society, serving in that capacity for seven years. In 1869 he was appointed Postmaster at Pratt, and still "holds the fort" (1885). In 1879 he was elected as one of the Representatives of the 11th Senatorial District which included Whiteside and carroll counties, and performed service which reflected the greatest credit upon himself and his constituents. Eight children are included in his family circle; Marietta M. is the wife of S.S. Chamberlain of Harrison Co, Iowa; John C. resides in the same county, as do Dora V and Cyrus E; Allen M is a citizen of Fenton Township; Ella J, James C and Manson W also live in their native township. In the coming years, when succeeding generations seek for mementoes of those whose activity in the progress of Whiteside county rendered them prominent, the portrait of Mr. Pratt, presented her will be heartily appreciated. [Portraits and Biographical Whiteside Co]
JAMES M PRATT is a native of Aurora, Erie Co NY, and was born Apr 7 1822. At the age of 15 he came to Lyndon, Whiteside county, with his parents, and has been a resident of the county ever since. His father, John C Pratt, visited Lyndon first in 1835, and made his claims, and two years afterwards brought on his family. James M remained in Lyndon until the fall of 1854, when he moved to his present farm in Fenton farm in Fenton. On the 17th of November 1844, he married Miss Lucinda Emery, and the following have been the children of this marriage: Beancy L born Aug 19 1845; Mariette M, January 27 1848; John C February 11 1851; Dora V April 13 1853, Cyrus E January 27 1855; Allen M November 12 1856; Ella J October 21 1858; James C October 2 1860; Manson W November 30 1863; Richard E March 17 1866; Volney P and Viola J Twins August 8 1868. Of these, Beancy L, Richard E, Volney P and Viola J are dead. Marietta J married S S Chamberlain and is a resident of Dunlap Iowa; John C married Susan Mahany and lives in Fenton; Dora V married Wallace Thompson and lives in Fenton; Curus E married Anna Reisinbigler and lives in Fenton, Ella J, James C and Manson W are still with their parents at the homestead in Fenton. Mr Pratt is a man of fine executive ability, clear judgment, ready tact and of unswerving integrity, and hence was early looked to as a proper person to hold offices of public trust and confidence. At the first election after the township organization he was elected Supervisor, and has held tha office at different times for a period of about 12 years. For some of the time he was chairman of the Board of Supervisors. He has also been Commissioner of Highways for the town of Fenton, aggregating 14 years. To his energy and influence the Society owes much of the success which has attended it. At the establishment of the Postoffice at Pratt, in November 1869, he was appointed the first Postmaster and has continued in the position from that time. Mr. Pratt's farm consists of 1010 acres in a body, lying on sections 22, 23 and 26, besides 60 acres of wood land on Rock River. A large part of the former has been brought under a good state of cultivation, and produces abundantly. The possession of this extensive tract of land makes him next the larges land owner in the town, if not in the county. For several years he has been devoting considerable of his attention to raising fowls, and now has the finest varieties and the largest number of any man in Whiteside. His fowls have taken the premiums at every fair where they have been exhibited. Mr. Pratt is one of the self made men of the county, and travels on the broad gauge in religious matters. [Bent & Wilson History of Whiteside County Page 200-201]
JOHN C. PRATT
Of Lyndon Twp.
John C. Pratt was born April 8, 1787, at Northampton, Massachusetts. His father gave him a liberal education, with the intention of having him enter the ministry in the Baptist Church (his father's profession); but not inclining to strict orthodox sentiments, the idea was given up. At twenty-one he left Massachusetts, and settled in Erie county, New York, then a wilderness. He purcchased a small tract of land on Buffalo creek, in the town of Aurora, in that county, on which was a water power, and cleared a part of the land; but before he had accomplished much the war of 1812 broke out, and he entered the army and remained until its close. Upon his return home he built a saw-mill and soon afterwards a flouring mill, on his water power, and conducted these until he came West.
In 1816 he married Miss Hannah Olds. The children of this marriage have been: Diantha D., James., DeWitt Clinton, Clymena Lucretia, Lucius B., Charles, Amanda, Thurston, also three children who died in infancy. Diantha D. married M. M. Potter, and died November 2, 1846. James M. lives in Fenton; De Witt Clinton died at Dixon, Illinois; Clymena married J. C. Teats, now of Sterling, and died in Fenton; Lucretia married a Reynolds, and died in Lyndon; Lucius H. lives in Lyndon; Charles died at Lyndon; Amanda married Samuel Emery, and after his death married James Shorett, and lives near Dunlap, Iowa; Thurston also lives near Dunlap, Iowa. Mr. Pratt first came to Whiteside county in 1835, and made a claim on what is known as Oxbow Bend, and another north of the Portland ferry, both on Rock. river, and then in Lyndon Precinct. He then returned and secured the services of James Knox, Lyman Bennett and William Farrington to break the prairie and build fences on his claims, as mentioned in another part of this chapter. In August, 1837, he brought on his family and goods. Mr. Pratt was a leading man among the early settlers, and drew the constitution and by-laws which governed the claim system in that part of the county. He was selected to bid in all the land in Lyndon Precinct at the Government, land sales in January, 1843, showing the estimation in which he was held as a man of integrity and honor by his immediate fellow-citizens. He died in Lyndon. His widow is still living at that place at an advanced age. [Bent - Wilson, 1877]
Of Hopkins Twp.
William Pratt, general farmer in the Township of Hopkins, has been a resident of Whiteside County since 1854, and a citizen of the State of Illinois since 1842 when he removed from New York to Kane County. After a stay of about one year's duration at Elgin, he went to McHenry County, where he was engaged in farming, and building the Fox River Valley Railroad. On coming to Whiteside Co., he took a contract to grade the railroad from Sterling to Fulton. While fulfilling his obligations with the building corporation, he bought, in 1856, a farm in Hopkins Township. On this he settled on the termination of the business mentioned, and has since pushed agricultural operations with profit. He was born May 16, 1817, in Chenango Co., N. Y. and is the son of William and Cynthia (Case) Pratt, who were born in the State of Connecticut. He is one of a family of four children named Harriet, Jerome, William and Ralph.
Mr. Pratt was married Oct. 8, 1855, in Prophetstown, Whiteside County, to Euphemia J., daughter of David and Lydia (Butler) Ramsay. Her parents were natives of New England and were of Scotch lineage. William, Hannah M., Luther B., Euphemia J. and Lydia A. were the names of their children. Mrs. Pratt was born Sept. 9, 1822, in Rome, Qneida Co., N. Y. Le Roy W. Pratt, her only child, was born Jan 25, 1857, and graduated in 1882, at the Union College of Law, Chicago. Mr. Pratt is a Democrat in political preference and acts in local and general issues in consonance with the principles of that party. Mrs. Pratt is a communicant of the Episcopal Church. [Portraits & Biographical Pg 329]
M. G. Preston, liveryman at Morrison, was born at Middleburg, Schoharie Co., N. Y., March 4, 1826. Reuben Preston, his father, was a native of Connecticut and was a blacksmith by vocation. Polly (Wilder) Preston, the mother, was born in the same State. They were the parents of 11 children, and five are now living. Katherine is the wife of Christopher Foland, a farmer in Otsego Co., N. Y. Mr. Preston of this sketch is the second child now living. Joseph is a blacksmith in Otsego County. Lucy married John Platner, of Cherry Valley, in that county. Susan is the wife of Dr. Irish, of Otsego County. Mr. Preston learned the business of working in wood in a carriage factory, and while a resident of his native State pursued that vocation. He was married in his native place, Oct. 26, 1853, to Abbie Gridley, who was born there in April, 1830. Four children were born to them: Libbie M. married Robert Nowlen, of Morrison; DeWitt C, Raymond M. and Elliott M. are the names of the three youngest. In April, 1865, Mr. Preston transferred his family and interests to Morrison, and became engaged in buying and selling stock, in which he was occupied about three years. In 1868, associated with his brothers-in-law, John E. and William Duffin, he embarked in the livery business. About a year later this relation terminated by the sale of the interest of John Duffin to his two partners, and the new firm transacted business together about two years. In 1871 Mr. Preston assumed entire charge of the business, which he has continued to manage successfully. He keeps about 20 horses, and his livery is suitably equipped to suit the demands of his patronage. He also conducts a feed and sale stable. [Portraits & Biographical Whiteside County IL 1885]
DAVID G. PROCTOR
of Genesee Twp, Whiteside Co IL
David G. Proctor, farmer, section 6, Genesee Township, was born July 23, 1840, in Shawswick Township, Lawrence Co., lnd. George R. Proctor, his father, was born in Kentucky, near Lexington, and was the son of Ezekiel Proctor. The latter removed from Kentucky with his family to Southern Indiana and located near the line of Jackson County, a part of the State that was still in heavy timber. George R. Proctor married Mary W. Green. She was born in Lawrence Co., Ind., where she was brought up and where her marriage took place. Later on, after three children had been added to the family, they removed to Martin, where the father was made Sheriff, and was one of the first officials of the county after its organization. He was a man of good judgment and fair education, and in early manhood he had spent some years in teaching in the public schools. He officiated as Sheriff two years. In 1850 he returned to Lawrtnce County and left his wife and children on the Green homestead, the estate of her father. He engaged one season in running a flat-boat on the Mississippi River to New Orleans. He set out from St. Joseph, Mo., with the Beck brother (his brothersin-law by a former marriage), for California. They drove across the plains with oxen and mules, the journey consuming six months. Mr. Proctor spent three years in the land of gold, with satisfactory results; but, returning in the same manner in which he went out, he was taken sick while making the transit, and his accumulations disappeared. He reached his family in Lawrence County, whence he came to Illinois two years later, locating in Whiteside County in October, 1855. This portion of Illinois was then comparatively unorganized and unsettled, and in the year following Mr. Proctor, senior, went to Carroll County, where he died. The mother is 69 years old (1885). The first wife lived but two years after marriage and had no children.
Mr. Proctor of this sketch is the oldest living child of his parents, and is the second in order of birth of the family, which included seven children. He is the only son, and his father's death left the family, consisting of his mother and six young daughters, dependent on him for support; and by effort and economy he was enabled to fulfill the trust. His oldest sister married William Moxley, one of the first white children born in Genesee Township. He died and left his wife his property, which consisted chiefly of a farm on section 6, and which she gave to her mother when she died, two years later. This property is still held by the mother and that owned by the son lies adjoining. The combined acreage constitutes a fine and well located farm. That owned by Mr. Proctor includes 66 acres and lies in Carroll County.
His marriage to Sarah A. Hurless took place in Genesee Township, Dec. 17, 1865. She was born April 11, 1849, in Holmes Co., Ohio, and is the daughter of Rev. Cephas Hurless, deceased, of whom a full account is presented elsewhere in this work. Her parents removed to Illinois when she was five years of age. She was reared to womanhood in Genesee Township, receiving a good education, and when she reached suitable age and degree of qualification, she engaged in teaching. The six children now included in the family circle were born as follows: Cephas E., April 29, 1867; George R., May 25, 1869; R. Ira, March 1, 1872 (This child is a dwarf. His height is three feet and four inches, or 40 inches, and his weight is 39 pounds. He is perfectly and symmetrically formed.), Minnie J. was born Dec. 10, 1876; Richard, Sept. 13, 1881; Lizzie, Aug. 19, 1883. Mr. Proctor is a Democrat in political persuasion. He has been prominent in local official positions, and has served in the capacities of Tax Collector and those of the several school offices. Mrs. Proctor is a member of the United Brethren Church. [Portrait and Biographical Album of Whiteside County, Illinois, Chapman Brothers Publishing Co., Chicago, 1885, Pg 245]
DAVID G. PROCTOR, one of the honored pioneer citizens of Whiteside county, and now living in Genesee township, is a son of George R. and Mary (Green) Proctor, the former a native of Kentucky. The Greens were of Irish extraction, and were early settlers in Pennsylvania, while the Proctors located in Virginia in colonial days.
The brothers and sisters of our subject were eight in number. Sarah B., the eldest, married William Moxley, and had one child, who is deceased. Mr. Moxley died in 1863, and his wife in 1867. Margaret J. Proctor married L. S. [Llewelyn] Crouch, of Lee county, Illinois, at the age of nineteen years. They have two daughters and a son. Mellissa E. died, unmarried, Mary A. is the wife of William H. Brewer, of Monroe county, Mississippi, and they have two children. The next child died in infancy, and George R. died at the age of two years. Harriet N. became the wife of Andrew J. Hurless, of Carroll county, and has two children. Eliza married Clinton H. Manning, of Genesee township, and they are the parents of two children.
David G. Proctor was born in 1840, in Lawrence county, Indiana, and continued to reside there until he was fifteen years of age. His father having died in Genesee township in 1855, the young man, who was the eldest son, and was well trained as a farmer, proceed to be his widowed mother's mainstay, and the supporter of his numerous brothers and sisters. He rented land in Genesee township for several years. In 1893 he purchased the sixty-acres farm which had been occupied by his mother, in this township, and which, by her death, in the year mentioned, was left to the heirs. Mr. Proctor has been very successful as a farmer, and has made many substantial improvements upon his fine homestead, which now comprises one hundred and forty-seven acres.
For a helpmate along life's journey, David G. Proctor chose Sarah Ann Hurless, a daughter of Cephus and Elizabeth (Overholser) Hurless. She was born in Ohio, and her marriage to Mr. Proctor took place in 1865. On the paternal side, she comes of old Virginia ancestry, while on the maternal line, she is of German descent. Martin Overholser, the grandfather of Mrs. Proctor, now ninety-one years old, and a resident of Coleta, is hale and hearty, notwithstanding his advanced age. He has many living descendants, as may be seen from the following: he has eight children, eighty-nine grand children, forty-six great-grandchildren, and seven great-great-grandchildren - a total of one hundred and fifty. Dr. Proctor's infant son, David, is of the fifth generation living to-day in Genesee township. Cephus and Elizabeth Hurless were the parents of six children, of whom Adeline and another died in infancy; Susanna became the wife of H. C. McCray, of Carroll county, Illinois, and has two sons; Rebecca J. married Joseph Bushman, of this township, and they have three children; and George P., of Pocahontas county, Iowa, married Carrie Wells, and has two daughters. After the death of his first wife, Cephus Hurless married Tabitha Winters, and had eight children by that union. Five of the number died in infancy, and three survive, namely: William, Belle and Roy [Cephas LeRoy]. William, who wedded Annie Conaway, and has two children, resides in Genesee township. Belle became the wife of Miles Wallace, of Carroll county, and they have three children. Roy, who is unmarried, is engaged in teaching school, and lives in Coleta.
Seven children blessed the union of David G. Proctor and wife. Cephus E., a farmer of Clyde township, Whiteside county, married Bertha Daniels. George R., a practicing physician, whose sketch is printed elsewhere in this work, is a leading citizen of Coleta. Minnie J. is the wife of Mathias Spang, Jr., who carries on a farm situated half a mile east of Coleta. The young couple have one child. Ira R. and Richard G., unmarried, live at home and assist their father in the management of the farm. Elizabeth also lives with her parents. The youngest of the family, a boy, died in infancy.
In all local affairs, Mr. Proctor has been active and interested. He has never been an aspirant to political office, but has served as tax collector in his township. In national politics, he sides with the Democratic party. His wife is a member of the United Brethren church, and he is liberal and broad-minded in his religious views. The entire community, in which he has so long dwelt, esteems him highly, looking upon him as a representative of the sterling pioneer element, who founded this county. [Contributed by Larry L. Reynolds from The Biographical Record of Whiteside County, Illinois, Illustrated, Chicago: The S.J. Clark Publishing Company, 1900, PG 423 **Note: David Proctor died 23 November 1921 - He is buried in Bethel Cemetery, Carroll Co IL]
GEORGE RAPEEN PROCTOR
OF Coleta, IL
George R. Proctor, M. D. Prominent among the medical profession of Whiteside county stands George R. Proctor, of Coleta. He possesses unusual aptitude for his chosen calling, and has the confidence of the entire community. Though yet in his early prime, he has given abundant evidence of skill and well applied principles of the healing art, which eventually will bring to him renown and financial prosperity. The Doctor's father, David G. Proctor, a native of Indiana, came to Illinois at an early day, and is now making his home in Genesee township, Whiteside county. He married Sarah Ann Hurless and it them seven children were born, namely: Cephus C., George R., Ira R., Minnie J., Richard G., Elizabeth and one who died in infancy. In the sketch of D. G. Proctor elsewhere in this work, a full history of our subject's ancestors may be found.
The birth of Dr. George R. Proctor occurred on his father's farm in Genesee township, May 25, 1869. In his boyhood he attended the district schools, and, as he was a diligent student, made rapid progress, and soon began preparing himself for a teacher. Subsequently, he pursued a course in the Shenandoah (Iowa) normal school, and then, for a period of four years was employed as a teacher in the common schools of Carroll and Whiteside counties, Illinois. Having determined to become a physician, he went to Iowa City, Iowa, where he attended the Iowa State University for two years. Later, he went to Rush Medical College, in Chicago, and there received the degree of Doctor of Medicine in 1896. Immediately after his graduation, he returned to Coleta, where he established himself in practice, in partnership with Doctor McBride. The latter a year later removed to Sterling, since which time Doctor Proctor has had charge of the entire practice, and has made rapid progress in his loved work. Neglecting no means of advancement within his power, he has taken two post-graduate courses in Chicago, and has been a regular attendant at the meetings of the Rock River Valley Medical Association. In 1899, when that well-known society assembled at Dixon, Illinois, Dr. Proctor was honored by being elected to the responsible office of vice-president of the association. He is also a member of the American Medical Association and the Mississippi Valley Medical Association. He is the medical examiner for the local lodges of the Knights of the Globe, and the Mystic Workers, with both of which he is identified as a member, and, besides, he is the medical advisor of the Modern Woodmen of America, the Home Forum and the New York Life Insurance Company. In his political faith he is a Democrat.
The marriage of Doctor Proctor and Jennie D. Tavenner was solemnized September 14, 1897. The young coupe have a little son, David T., born July 17, 1898. Mrs. Proctor, whose birth occurred October 10, 1871, is one of the four children of Joseph and Fannie Tavenner. Her only sister, Mayme, is the wife of David Brown, of Gladbrook, Iowa. John, elder brother of Mrs. Proctor, married Lena Munde, and has one child. Their home is in Hazelhurst, Illinois. The younger brother, Albert, resides with his parents. Doctor Proctor and his wife are members of the United Brethren church, and receive a cordial welcome in the foremost social circles of Coleta. [Contributed by Larry L. Reynolds from The Biographical Record of Whiteside County, Illinois, Illustrated, Chicago: The S.J. Clark Publishing Company, 1900, pp 382-383]
Of Erie Township
Arthur Putney was born in Goshen, Massachusetts, in 1799. While in Massachusetts he was proprietor of the "Oldtown Stage Route". In 1831 he was married to Lucinda Wood, In 1837 Mr. Putney settled in Erie, He was one of the first Justices of the Peace in the new settlement; his death occurred in 1842. His widow, now Mrs. N. K Chapman, still resides in Erie, one of the three oldest settlers remaining, The first bread she ate after her arrival in Erie was made from green corn grated by hand. - N. K. Chapman was one of the first drivers on the Frink & Walker Stage Line. [Bent & Wilson History of Whiteside County IL 1877]
BACK -- HOME
© Copyright Genealogy Trails