Whiteside County Illinois
Genealogy and History
Part of the Genealogy Trails History Group

line
Businessmen of Sterling and Rock Falls
1896-1897

line

 

Transcribed by Christine Walters

 The following is a short bio/sketch of most of the businessmen in the towns of Sterling & Rock Falls who were in operation in 1896-1897.
This article was presented in "The Sterling Standard". Accompanying each sketch was a picture of some of these men. (We've inserted "NO PHOTO" - where there was none available).
They are listed in alphabetical order. We only had pages 25 to 52 of this article. The first 25 pages didn't survive.
 

H.W. AGNEW is a dealer in confectionery, cigars, tobacco, pipes and Chicago daily papers. At his place 106 West Third street, can be found the latest issues and a large list of periodicals.

JohnHAhrens

Ed. F. AHRENS, 14 East Third street, Photo of Store is the proprietor of the Globe Clothing House which was established in this city in September last. This does not argue however, that he is unknown, as he spent many years here as salesman in the best clothing houses in the town. Four years ago he went to Iowa, where he opened a store for himself. His doing an excellent business and within a short time expects to add a complete stock of boots and shoes.

(No Photo)

Pg. 31 JOHN H. AHRENS. About two years ago (1895?) John H. and Edward Ahrens organized the Cash Department Store in this city, with a new and extensive stock. A year later John H. Ahrens purchased the interest of his brother. Mr. Ahrens is one of Sterling's most enterprising and hustling merchant. The stock carried is full and complete and thoroughly up-to-date in every department, of dry goods, clothing, boots and shoes, staple and fancy groceries, fine choice crockery, glassware, carpets and men's furnishing goods. Everything incident to a metropolitan department stock can be found. Mr. Ahrens has also the sole agency for the sale of the Washburn, Crosby & Co.'s celebrated Gold Medal flour. Everything in this store is strictly guaranteed as represented.

 

Pg. 37 HIRAM ALDRICH, the musical dealer, was born in the State of New York in 1855. The family came west in 1857 and settled in Wisconsin. After a residence of twenty years in that State the family moved to Iowa. Mr. Aldrich came to Sterling in 1886 and for eight years had charge of the music house of J.L. Mahan. Two years ago he purchased the stock of Mr. Mahan and has since conducted the busienss. He handles all kinds of musical merchandise and makes a specialty of Story & Clark pianos and organs.

HiramAldrich

Edward V. H. ALEXANDER, (Biography) 7 East Third street, is one of Sterling's well known dentists. He does all kinds of work, and his long experience gives him the confidence of the people. The doctor is at present making an extended visit in the East.

(No Photo)

Pg. 27 John W. ALEXANDER, the old and well-known justice of the peace, was born in Ohio in the year 1839. He came west and settled near Sterling when quite young. Mr. Alexander is a graduate of the Ann Arbor, Mich., Law School, where he graduated in 1866. He established himself in the practice in Sterling in 1871. One year later he was elected Justice of the peace and has occupied that office ever since with the exception of one term. Mr. Alexander is a member of the high-school board, of which he is secretary, and he enjoys the further distinction of being the first school director elected in Sterling

JWAlexander

Andrews Clothing Company occupies one of the best stands in the city. The manager, J.M. McGee is a man of many years experience in his line and always keeps a well selected stock. The store occupies two floors of No. 102 East Third street and is [missing]

(No Photo)

Pg. 32 Frances E. ANDREWS, one of Sterling's ablest lawyers and most eloquent orators, was born and raised on a a farm in Sterling township, and is of Scotch-Irish ancestry. After finishing his education he taught school two years. He had charge of a part of government surveyors in the Indian Territory for three years and was inspector of United States surveys for eighteen months, then read law and was admitted to practice in 1876. It was through his efforts as an engineer that secured the location of the Hennepin canal at Sterling. He has held several public offices with credit to himself; his law practice, extends into several adjoining counties of the State, and is one of the best enjoyed by any member of the Whiteside county bar.

FEAndrews

pg. 25 FRANK ANTHONY, the well known physician, was born in this city in the year of 1858. After attending the public schools of Sterling he took a collegiate course in Beloit College. Mr. Anthony attended Rush Medical College and graduated there from in 1881. As soon as his medical studies were completed he opened an office in this city and for nearly seventeen years he has followed his adopted profession with great success. Dr. Anthony is surgeon for the C. & N.W.R.R. and also for the Sixth Regiment, I.N.G. He makes a specialty of surgery. Dr. Frank Anthony began practice; in this city in 1881 with his father, Dr. J. B. Anthony, with whom he studied. His father died in '91. Dr. Anthony has been eminently successful in his work and he is well known throughout this part of the State.

DrFrankAnthony

C. H. ATWOOD conducts a finely appointed grocery store at 102 West Third street. The business has been under his management nearly three years. His stock is fresh, consisting of a line of staple and fancy groceries, all kinds of country produce, family flour and cereal food products, crockery, glassware, shelf goods, etc.

(No Photo)

Mrs. M. M. BARNETT. This lady manufactures hair goods in great variety. She is the only dealer in hair in the city. Her business consists largely of order work. She has been in business in the city for the past ten years. she now conducts her business at the home on the second floor of 116 East Third Street.

(No Photo)

Pg. 33 CURTIS BATES, the enterprising book dealer, was born in Wisconsin in the year 1857. He came to Sterling in the year 1890. He purchased the business of O.A. Oliver, dealer in books, stationery, wallpaper, pictures and picture frames. In holiday goods he has a very fine line of toilet cases, traveling cases, photo albums and photo boxes, etc . - everything pertaining to his line of trade.

CurtisBates

- The Bazaar Store at 318 Locust street was founded four years ago by John G. Koberstine and David H. Lingel in the Facey Building, West Third street. Mr. Koberstine later assumed entire control of the business and March 1, 1896, moved the stock to the present location in the Academy of Music Block. He carries a line of crockery, glassware, china, fine imported goods, besides a large assortment of toys and holiday goods. Pictures and picture framing are also a feature of this business.

(No Photo)

Bear & Carter established their meat market at 410 East Third street. They slaughter all their own meats and are particular in the selection of their stock. They run two wagons for delivery and have a large counter trade. They also handle game and poultry in season.

(No Photo)

Pg. 30 Thomas W. BECKWITH, the dentist, was born in Sycamore, DeKalb county, Ill., in the year 1857. He came to Sterling in 1880 and established himself in his chosen profession, that of dentistry. Mr. Beckwith is a graduate of the dental department of the University of Michigan. He is considered one of the best dentists in this part of the country. Mr. Beckwith is a member of the Masonic fraternity and past commander of the Sterling commandery.

TWBeckwith

BEDAL Gold Cure Institute. This institute for the treatment of the liquor, opium, morphine and tobacco habits was established in Polo about five years ago. In June, 1893, it was moved to Sterling. M. P. Graham became associate in the management in December 1893, and within the past year has assumed entire control. The Bedal Guld Cure has not been a disappointment. At the present location in the Wallace Block, 109 West Third Street, it has a suite of rooms admirarably fitted for the Institute's purposes.

(No Photo)

Pg. 31 Bell & Son - The oldest, as it is one of the most substantial, mercantile firms of the two cities is the clothing boot and shoe house of J.R. Bell & Son, which was founded by the senior partner in the spring of 1857.

Their stock of goods, which includes also a fine line of gentlemen's furnishing, has also been like their trade, one of the largest in the city. There is much about this enterprising firm that is intimately connected with the history of Sterling. The building, erected for its own uses, in which it has conducted its business since 1869, was built in the same year in which W.J. Bell became a partner in the firm with his father. The store is stocked with a most excellent line of goods, and enjoys a magnificent trade throughout a large section of the country contiguous to this city. J.R. Bell, the senior member of the firm, is president of the Sterling National Bank, and is prominent in all the interests of the city. He was at one time mayor of Sterling.

WJBell
W.J. Bell
JRBell
 James R. Bell

Pg. 35 F.A. BELT. Sterling's greenhouses, located on Eighteenth avenue, consist of about 10,000 square feet of glass. A general greenhouse business is conducted, though a specialty is made of cut flowers and floral work. Designs of any size or shape put up on short notice at loowest rates. Particular attention paid to floral emblems for societies. A full assortment of the best varieties of rose bushes, bedding and house plants and flower seeds. Mr. Belt's place is headquarters for vegetable plants and seeds in there season.

FABelt

Pg. 48 J. M. BICKFORD, Rock Falls leading druggist was born in Wisconsin in the year 1856. The family came to Rock Falls in 1868 and as soon as young Bickford had completed his education at the Chicago College of Pharmacy he secured a position in a drug store at Geneseo, Ill., where he remained for several years. From there he went to Chicago where he also clerked in a drug store for some time. Mr. Bickford returned to Rock Falls and in 1879 established his present business. He has the largest drug store and stock in Rock Falls. He carries a full line of drugs, medicines, paints and oils, wallpaper, curtains, school books and a nice line of holiday goods. His stock is up-to-date.

bickford

Henry BIRDSALL has conducted a large poultry depot at 312 East Third street for the past three years. The greater proportion of his business being in dressed poultry which he ships to the Philadelphia and Boston markets.

(No Photo)

J. A. BISHOP, opened his office over Brown's Drug Store in July last (1896) and engaged in a general practice of medicine. He is a graduate of Rush Medical College, Chicago. Dr. Bishop is a specialist in the treatment of the diseases of the eye, ear, nose and throat. He enjoys a constantly increasing practice.

(No Photo)

Pg. 33 E. W. BLOSSOM, the jeweler - Was born in the State of NY in the year 1839. He came west and first located at Lyons, IA. From there he moved to Woodstock, Illinois, where he conducted a jewelry store. Twelve years ago he located in Sterling and opened a jewelry establishment in the same location where he now does business. Mr. Blossom has a very attractive store and a stock that embraces everything to be found in a first-class jewelry establishment. A fine new line of holiday novelties just in.

EWBlossom

William D. BOEHM is a practical electrical wireman, who has learned his business under some of the most competent electricians in the country. He spent two years in the Columbian Exposition in the electrical department. Since then he has worked in many of the large cities on complicated and delicate work. He is a member of the Brotherhood of Electrical Mechanics.

(No Photo)

Frank J. BOWMAN attorney at law, was graduated from Harvard College in 1885. He studied law in Sterling and was admiitted to practice in 1887. In December 1894 he was elected City Attorney of the City of Sterling. He has also a wide practice in general law.

(No Photo)

Pg. 25 DENNIS P. BOYERS, the harness manufacturer, was born in this city in the year 1865. He thoroughly understands the business of harness making, having served a full apprenticeship at the trade before embarking in business for himself. His location, at No. 407 Locust street, is a central one, and while he has been in business only a few months he has secured a fair share of the trade. He not only makes all kinds of harness but he is prepared to clean and oil old harness.

DennisPBoyers

Pg. 27 H.J. BRESSLER, the well known bicycle dealer and repairer, was born in this city in the year 1859. In connection with his bicycle industry he has owned and operated a grocery store next to his shop. He opened a bicycle store and shop in 1893, where he not only sells all kinds of bicycles but does all kinds of repairing and furnishes all kinds of supplies for that trade. Mr. Bressler makes a specialty of the sale of the Heaton bicycle, which will be right in the lead for 1898.

HJBressler

I. N. BRESSLER & Son. This is one of the oldest grocery houses in the city, having been established by I. N. Bressler nearly twenty years ago. A full line of fancy and staple groceries is always kept in stock. Prompt and courteous service is the basis upon which they hold their large trade. The store is located at 406 East Third street.

(No Photo)

Pg. 48 HARLAN L. BREWER, deputy sheriff of Whiteside County, was born in the State of New York in the year 1845. He came west and settled in this county in 1876. Mr. Brewer has served Rock Falls in the capacity of constable, city marshal, alderman and as a member of the school board. At the outbreak of the war he enlisted in Company B, 12th Illinois Infantry at Amboy, Ill., on September 12, 1861, and was mustered out July 10, 1865. At the close of the war he engaged in railroad building which he followed until 1880 when he opened a hotel at Rock Falls and conducted that business until appointed deputy sheriff when he moved to Morrison. Mr. Brewer is a pleasant gentleman and an active candidate for the Republican nomination for the office of sheriff of Whiteside County.

 

Henry BREIDING & Son, opened their business in June last and immediately drew a good trade. They have a well equipped machine shop for the repairing of iron machinery. They have done a large business during the past season on repairs of traction engines and other varieties of agricultural machinery.

(No Photo)

Pg. 32 LOUIS EDWIN BROOKFIELD, (Biography) the well known manufacturer, was born in Genesee township, Whiteside county, in the year 1860. He moved to Sterling in 1874 and three years later organized the Rock Falls Manufacturing Company. Mr. Brookfield is president, secretary and treasurer of this successful establishment, which has grown to be one of the largest hearse and casket manufacturies in this country and which does a business of $250,000 annually.

LEBrookfield

Mrs. Ida C. BROOKS has for a number of years conducted a successful millinery establishment in Sterling. She has been located in the Galt House block until within the past two months. She now has a fine store room in the Randolph House block, 25 West Third street. Mrs. Brooks is an expert trimmer and her store is a model in its arrangement.

(No Photo)

Mrs. K.B. BROWN, Locust & Third streets, has been the owner of the Corner Pharmacy since January 15, 1894 when she purchased the stock from H. Keefer & Co. Especial attention is given to the compounding of physicians prescriptions.

(No Photo)

Pg. 26 E.C. BROWN, the well known photographic artist, was born in Lee county, Illinois, in 1864. He lived in that county until he was sixteen years of age when the family moved to Iowa. Mr. Brown learned the profession at Jefferson, Iowa, and afterwards for two years worked at his trade at Mendota, Illinois. He came to Sterling in the spring of 1888. Mr. Brown opened a gallery shortly after and his success has been good as he does good work. A large part of the engravings in this work are from photos taken by him.

ECBrown

Pg. 32 J.A. BRUBAKER, secretary and manager of the Chain-Stay Fence Company, was born and raised on a farm in Macoupin county, Ill. He attended the Mt. Morris college at Mt. Morris, Ill. After a course there he engaged in the manufacture of wire fence at the same place to 1897, when he removed to this city. A description of their fence appears in another part of this work.

JABrubaker

Pg. 36 CHRISTIAN BURKHOLDER, dealer in agricultural implements, was born in Pennsylvania in the year 1848. The family m oved to Ohio in 1858 and eleven years later they came to Sterling. Since 1877 Mr. Burkholder has been engaged in agricultural iimplement business. Mr. Burkholder was Mayor of Sterling for four years, from 1893 to 1897. He had previously served three terms as alderman from the Second ward. He is also a member of the Sterling school board. He is a thoroughly progressive citizen.

CBurkholder

William M. BUZZARD has been in the livery business for the past tweve years. He runs a good hack line in the city and has a government contract to carry daily mail on his stage route between this city and Milledgeville. His livery stock is large and his vehicles are kept in the best condition. He is very successful in holding a large patronage.

(No Photo)

Dr. W. B. CAROLUS, 405 First avenue. It will be nine years next March since Dr. W. B. Carolus established his office in this city. He is a graduate from Habnemann Medical College, of Chicago, Homeopathic, and is considered an able practitioner in every way. His practice began as soon as his shingle was displayed and it has grown continually since that time.

(No Photo)

CASH Department Store was organized in Sterling about oneyear ago by Ahrens Bros. A stock was put in at the present location, 16 and 18 West Third street. Several months ago Mr. John H. Ahrens assumed entire control. He carries dry goods, clothing,boots and shoes, staple and fancy groceries, fine china, crockery, glassware, carpets and mens' furnishing goods. Mr. Ahrens is the Sterling agent for the celebrated Washburn-Crosby Gold Medal Flour.

(No Photo)

Pg. 26 ROSWELL CHAMPION, the oldest justice of the peace in Sterling, was born in Connecticut. When about ten years of age his parents moved to New York where he lived until attaining his majority when he took Horace Greeley's advise and came west, landing in Sterling in 1855. For many years he clerked in the various mercantile establishments of this city in the capacity of salesman, book-keeper, and at one time cashier of a bank. He has been continuously reelected to the office of justice of the peace since 1869. Mr. Champion was also for seventeen years township school treasurer. Mr. Champion is also engaged in the real estate and insurance business. Image of the Roswell Champion residence

RChampion

Charles A. CLARK, 6 E. Third street, has been in the Gentlemen's Furnishing Goods business for the past ten years. He caters to the best trade by having a full stock of everything in his line constantly on hand. He is indefatigable in his efforts to have the latest styles in all his goods. He is particularly watchful for any new things in head gear and neck wear and any new wrinkle of fashion always can be found in his stock.

(No Photo)

John CLAVIN, dealer in all kinds of hard and soft coal, is located on First avenue, between First and Second streets.He has been in this business six years. He formerly was in the Creamery Packing Compnay with Mr. Smith. He keeps one team at work all the time and others when the trade warrants it.

(No Photo)

Pg. 34 FRANK COCHRAN, the cigar manufacturer and dealer, was born in Pennsylvania in the year 1847. He came west in 1863 and settled in Sterling, which city has since been his home. He first entered the employ of the Gazette office as a printer, where he worked for a number of years. Afterwards he learned the trade of machinst and followed that avocation for several years. Twenty years ago he started in the business of cigar manufacturing, which he has followed since. Commencing with a small beginning he has built up a large business extending all over this section of the country. His special brands of cigars, are the "Heraldo," "Crescent," "Three Hundred and Ten" and "Cochran's Own," five cent cigars, and "regenta," ten cent cigar. He employs seven hands regularly in the manufacturing department. Mr. Cochran served the city as alderman of the Third ward, to fill the unexpired term of John R. Johnson, who had been appointed postmaster. He is a member of the Masonic order, in all the degrees to Knight Templar; Knights of the Globe and Grand Army of the Republic. Mr. Cochran enjoys a fine trade in tobacco, pipes and cigars and also conducts a news stand in connection with his business.

FrankCochran

COE Bros, 406 Locust street, has been in existence since October 1, 1893, when Simeon and Fred Coe purchased the farming implement stock of J.V. Emmitt. They handle a general line of farm machinery, traction engines and threshing machines. Feb. 1, 1896, the stock wsa moved from First avenue to the preesnt location.

(No Photo)

Pg. 47 Decius O. COE, of the old and reliable lumber and coal firm of Rock Falls, was born in Whiteside County in 1857. He was educated in the public schools of this section and for years lived on the farm with his parents. Mr. Coe moved to Rock Falls and in partnership with Mr. Davison conducted a coal busienss which had been established since 1867. In 1890 Mr. Davison sold his interest to N.G. VanSant, since which time the firm name has been known as Coe & VanSant. The firm does a very extensive business in all kinds of coal, lumber and building material of every kind and grade. Their trade extends over a great section of country. Mr. Coe is superintendent of the Congregational Sunday school of Rock Falls.

DOCoe

E.J. COOK, 3 East Third street, has been in business at this stand ever since coming to Sterling five years ago. He has built up a good trade in both wholesale and retail lines. His cigars are popular and he received many orders for them from the surrounding towns.

(No Photo)

COOK & HOPKINS, 24 West Third street have been in the millinery business since March of the present year. They occupied rooms in the second story of the Martin Building, Locust and Fourth streets, until September, when they moved to their present location. Everything in the line of a first class millinery establishment is to be found in their stock. The ladies are both milliners of wide experience.

(No Photo)

Michael CORSO, 17 East Third street, has conducted a fruit store in this city for the past eight years. He does a large wholesale busines in foreign and domestic fruits.

(No Photo)

Isaac D. CRAMER, the First ward butcher is located at 1299 East Fourth St. He runs a delivery wagon all the time. He has been in his present location four years.

(No Photo)

CRAMER & WATSON
Pg. 36 J. C. CRAMER, a senior member of the new meat market firm of Cramer & Watson, was born in Pennsylvania in the yar 1859. He moved west in 1866 and settled in Sterling where he has since resided. HORACE WATSON, a junior member of the firm, was born in Sterling twenty-three years ago. For years he had worked for Cramer Bros. in the building moving business and a short time ago he was taken into partnership. The new meat firm started in business on First avenue about a month ago, and their success thus far is very satisfactory. They keep all kinds of fresh and salt meats and deliver their goods to any part of the city free of charge. Give the new firm a trial.

JCCramer
J.C. Cramer

HoraceWatson
Horace Watson

Dr. J. B. CRANDALL has practiced his profession in this city since 1868. He received his medical education at the University of Vermont and at the College of Physicians and Surgeons in New York. He served as surgeon in the field during the War of the Rebellion until after the battle of Gettysburg and afterwards served in the General Eastern Hospital to the end of the war. After the war he was surgeon in the regular service.

(No Photo)

Pg. 36 S.S. CREIDER, the manager of the Whiteside-Harrison Telephone Co., was born in the State of Pennsylvania in the year 1845. He came west twenty-nine years ago and located in this city where he conducted a gunsmith shop up to the time of the advent of the new telephone line two years ago, when he gave up his gunsmith busienss and assumed the presidency andmaagement of the Whiteside-Harrison telephone circuit in this county. This system has connections with all other telephone lines in this county.

SSCreider

Pg. 31 JOHN F. DALY, the popular operator and ticket agent of the C. & N. W. R.R. in this city, was born in Sterling in the year 1868. He attended the west end public schools of Sterling, after which he worked for the Sterling Packing Company for four years. For the past thirteen years he has been employed by the Northwestern in the Capacity of operator and agent at Morrison, Geneva, Turner Junction and the last four years at Sterling. He is serving his second term as alderman of the Fourth ward. Mr. Daly is chairman of the street and alley committee, member of finance, fire and water and public improvement committees. Mr. Daly is president of the Father Bennett Temperance Society.

JohnFDaly

Pg. 34 C.A. DAVIS & W. J. WILKINSON: The hardware and stove firm of Davis & Wilkinson commenced business Feb. 15, 1882. There beginning was small, but by persevering effort they have built up a magnificent trade. The firm is composed of C.A. Davis and W. J. Wilkinson. Mr. Davis looks after the sales department and Mr. Wilkinson the mechanical department; the latter being an expert mechanic in this line. They own the commodious store that they occupy, as well as the adjoining building. They deal in all kinds of stoves and handle a large stock of general hardware. They make a specialty of the Favorite ranges and heaters. They are sole agents for the celebrated Triumph furnace and the Akron air blast. Davis & Wilkinson do all kinds of tinwork and galvanized spouting. They have all the latest improved machinery for doing their work with neatness and dispatch.

DavisWilkinsonStore

Pg. 33 GEORGE H. DAVISON, the popular flour and feed dealer, was born in Otsego county, New York, in the year 1832. He came west in 1853 and first located at Davenport, Iowa. Mr. Davison was a resident of Iowa for several years. He moved to Whiteside county and farmed until 1882. His present business was established in 1885, making him the oldest dealer in flour and feed in the city. Mr. Davison deals in all kinds of flour and feed, hay, oats, etc., and he delivers his goods free in the city. He is one of Sterling's most stable citizens.

GeorgeHDavison

Pg. 26 JUDD DECKER, the well known secretary and superintendent of the Sterling Water Works, was born in Pennsylvania in the year 1855. He came west in 1870 and first located in California. In 1871 he moved to DesMoines, Iowa. Previous to his connection with the water works in 1883, he was in the insurance and drug business. Mr. Decker has been secretary and superintendent of the Sterling Water company ever since its incorporation.

JuddDecker

Miss Olive DECKER has recently opened dress making parlors in the Cook & Hopkins millinery store, 24 West Third street. She came to Sterling from Des Moines Iowa.

(No Photo)

Pg. 30 J.B. DICKSON, roadmaster of the Galena division of the Chicago & Northwestern RR, is a resident of Sterling, was born in Ohio in 1862. He began his lessons in railroad service when quite a oung man, his first experience being in the track department of the Pennsylvania Centralsystem. Later he was promoted to the engineering department of the same road in their office at Cleveland OH. In 1887 he was promoted to the position of supervisor for the same road, occupying this position to 1893, when he entered the employ of the Chicago & Northwestern at Chicago, having charge of the terminals of that road in that city. Mr. Dickson was promoted to the position of roadmaster of the Galena division of the Chicago & Northwestern in August 1895. He is said to be one of the most careful and reliable officials in the employ of the road. Mr. Dickson is secretary of the Roadmasters' Association of America, to which position he was re-elected in 1897.

JBDickson

Pg. 27-28 SAMUEL DILLER, the well known feed stableman, located at No. 218 East Third street, was born in Pennsylvania in the year 1847. When he was only three years old the family moved to Whiteside county. They came by a nearly all-water route, down the Ohio river to its connection with the Mississippie river, and from there up that river to Albany, Ill., and overland to Sterling. Mr. Diller was for many years in the book business in this city and did a thriving trade. Two years ago he opened a feed stable on East Third street, which he is successfully operating. Mr. Diller's stables have a capacity for two hundred teams.

SamuelDiller

Pg. 32 G.B. DILLON, the well known dentist, was born in Ohio. He came west in the year 1885 and located in Sterling, where he since conducted the business of dentistry. Mr. Dillon is a graduate of the Ohio College of Dental Surgery, of Cincinnatti. He thoroughly understands all the different departments of the science and practice of dentistry and has a large practice throughout this section of the county. Mr. Dillon is a director and treasurer in the Whiteside County Building & Loan Association of this city.

GBDillon

Pg. 32 MOSES DILLON, the well known, popular coal & lumber dealer, was born in the State of Ohio in 1845. The family came west in 1854 and first located at Dixon, Illinois. Mr. Dillon moved to Sterling in 1860 and entered the dry goods house of D.M. Crawford & Co., where he remained until 1864, when he entered the service of his country by enlisting in Co. A., 140th Illinois Infantry, in the department of the Mississipi. After returning from the war he went into the grocery business in partnership with Charles Smith, which business he followed for ten years. In 1875 Mr. Dillon disposed of his interest in the grocery and purchased the lumber and coal business of Judge Golder, which he has followed with remarkable success ever since. The plant covers over two acres of ground and his business is very extensive. There are two offices, one at 112 1st Ave., and one at 201 E. 3rd street. He also has a large planning mill.

MosesDillon

Pg. 32 WASHINGTON M. DILLON, a resident member and president of the Dillon-Griswold Wire Co., was born in Ohio in the year 1842. He came west and settled in Sterling twenty-five years ago. Three years ago the Dillon-Griswold Wire Co. was formed and a large mill erected. Mr. Dillon also owns and operates a nail factory at Rock Falls. He was for several years a member of the board of education in this city.

WMDillon

C. U. DUNBAR of the Moore Steam Laundry was established in the rooms in the Merchahtile Block, 119 West Third street, in May 1895. The present proprietor assumed control early this year. The work turned out here is first class in every respect and the concern has a large patronage. The laundry is fitted with the latest and most improved machinery, the best of workmen are employed and Mr. Dunbar gives the business his close personal attention All packages are promptly delivered and called for.

(No Photo)

Christian EISLE has conducted one of Sterling's foremost bakeries at 10 West Third street for a number of years. He came to Sterling in the spring of 1866 and since that time has been one of the city's stable business men and influential citizens. In addition to a complete bakery stock he carries a fine line of confectionery and fruits. His ice cream parlors and soda fountain are popular resorts in the hot weather. A specialty is made of supplying ice cream in wholesale quantities.

(No Photo)

Jacob EISELE & Co. established his merchant tailoring business in this city in 1873 and has been in the business ever since. He is the oldest merchant in his line in the city. Edward Eisele, the assistant cutter is a graduate of Philips Cutting Academy and is a prominent young cutter. There are fifteen men and women employed in thier shop at present.

(No Photo)

Robert EISELE recently purchased the jewelry business formerly owned by W.F. Eisele, at 19 East Third street. Mr. Eisele is an expert workman and handles a large variety of goods in his line.

(No Photo)

Pg. 28 Elwood H. ESHLEMAN, the well known grocer, was born in Pennsylvania in the year of 1867. He came west with his parents when two years old and the family purchased a farm just north of this city. Four years ago Mr. Eshleman came to the city and purchased the grocery stock of Amos Ahrens, at No. 110 East Third street, his present place of business. He carries a full and complete line of groceries, provisions and crockery. Mr. Eshleman has a splendid trade in the city and country. Fresh butter and eggs he always has on hand.

EshlemanBusiness

E.J. FEIGLEY & Son, S.H. FEUGKET, conduct a popular cigar store and news stand at 309 Locust street. They have been in business for four years, dealing in fine cigars and tobacco, confectionery, sporting goods, newspapers, periodicals and paper covered novels. They also handle a fine line of pipes and other smokers materials.

(No Photo)

Virgil S. FERGUSON entered upon a general law practice in Sterling in 1870. He has served in municipal offices at various times and has been for sixteen years continuously a member of the Board of Education of the Wallace School. He served, four years, from '91 to '95, in the General Assembly of the State as Senator.

(No Photo)

Pg. 37 EDWARD FERNBERG, of the firm of Fernberg Bros., dealers in clothing and gents furnishings at Sterling and Aurora, was born in Mendota in 1867. He lived in Mendota until four years ago the firm purchased the business of David Goldsmith of this city. About two months ago W.P. Fernberg, the other member of the firm, removed to Aurora to take charge of a large new store which they have opened in that city. They deal in clothing, hats, caps and gentlemen's furnishing goods. The firm is one of the most substantial in our city.

EdwardFernberg

Pg. 28 FLOCK & DAVIS. The firm of Flock & Davis, the well known bicycle dealers and repairers, have a nice trade. Their place of business is located at No. 106 West Third street, where they have all the modern conveniences for repairing. They also make a specialty of renting bicycles. The senior member of the firm,was born in this county and moved to Sterling in 1890. He commenced his present business three years ago. Last February he took into partnership I.C. Davis, who came from Iowa. Both are young men and very popular with the young people of the city.

FlockDavis

A.H. FONDERSMITH, 401 Locust street, conducts one of the finest meat markets in Sterling. He came to this city from Strasburg, PA in 1871, and is endowed with the sterling honesty and industry characteristic of the Pennsylvanians. He has resided in Sterling twenty-five years, with the exception of two years spent in Chicago, and has been in business here nearly all of this time. He has been two years in his present location, in a building planned and built expressly for him. Besides all kinds of meat Mr. Fondersmith handles fish, oysters and game in season. He carries a fine line of canned and bottled shelf goods. Fine lard is one of his specialties.

(No Photo)

Arthur FOWLER has lately purchased the harness shop at 205 East Third street and is conducting a first class shop. E.J. King, the oldest harness marker in the city is at the head of the shop. This is a sufficient guarantee of first class workmanship.

(No Photo)

August FRANK , merchant tailor, came to Sterling in 1869. He was cutter for E.W. Edson & Co, eight years before he went into business for himself. His shop, 28 West Third street, is one of the best equipped. Garments made by him are unsurpassed in fit, style and workmanship. He is the only man in Sterling who handles the celebrated Van Ingen Company fabrics.

(No Photo)

Pg. 25-26 William FRANKE, the well known proprietor of the Excelsior Brewery, was born in Wisconsin in the year 1855. At the age of sixteen he apprenticed himself to the trade of brewer at Bay City, Wisconsin, where he worked three years, when he moved to Milwaukee. He was employed in the large and well known breweries of Pabst and Blatz in Milwaukee, the following two years. He next went to St. Louis, Mo., where he had eight years experience in the Lemp, Anheuser-Busch and Wainright breweries. He left his position to accept an offer as head brewer from the Continental Brewing Co., at Philadelphia, where he remained one year, when he accepted an offer from the J.L. Hoeber Brewing Co., of Chicago, as master brewer, where he remained a short time when he accepted a position as brew-master of the Aurora Brewing Co., of Aurora, Ill. He was employed in this brewery for three years. He removed to Sterling three years ago and leased the Excelsior Brewery of B.J. Helms and has since conducted it. His varied experience in the different large breweries in the country has thoroughly fitted him for the business. His product is considered as good as any beer made and used almost exclusively in a majority of the saloons in this city and surrounding towns. A late acquisition is the brewing of ale, of which he makes a superior quality.

WmFranke

ExcelsiorBrewery

Mrs. Mattie J. FREY has been one of the Sterling's successful business women for a number of years. Her millinery store, 6 West Third street, has always been one of the leading institutions of its kind.

(No Photo)

Pg. 35 FRANK GALT, the dealer in agricultural implements in Sterling, occupies a very important place in the business community because of the fact of the large trade he enjoys from the farmers. No line of trade has seen more development and progress than the manufacture of agricultural implements. It is comparatively a few years ago when the old-fashion sickle did the grain cutting, the scythe mowed the hay and the flail thrashed the grain, but in the last twenty-five years the whole system of farming has been changed. The mind of man has invented machinery for performing nearly every kind of labor to be done on the farm. By the aid of these inventions farming is made easier and cheaper. The different machines used on the farm can now be purchased at a very reasonable price. In the agricultural implement line in Sterling one of the oldest in business is the well-known house of Frank Galt, situated on Second avenue. Mr. Galt was born in this city in the year 1856. Twenty years ago he started in the agricultural implement business. His place is large and commodious, and is stocked with the very best of goods in this line. He deals in threshing machines, wagons, carriages a specialty of the Mitchell wagon being made, high grade surries, road wagons of every description, Milwaukee corn planters and shredders, sole agent Minneapolis harvestors and binders, power and wind mills and feed grinders, the Rock Island and Sterling Hay loaders, Moline Flying Dutchman, also sterling disc barrows an corn planters, eleven foot agitators and force feed seeders, Rumsly and Port Huron threshing machines and a large number of other implements too numerous to mention.

FrankGalt

Pg. 34 N. GAULRAPP, Jr., proprietor of the well established grocery store located on West Third street, which places is better known to the public under the appelation of "My Store," has been engaged in the grocery business, in the same location, for the past fourteen years, and has met with signal success. Besides groceries, he handles a full line of crockery and glassware and endeavors to keep none but the best goods on the market. He makes a specialty of Pillsbury's flour, which he considers the best flour made. He will pay the highest price for farm produce and sell lower than the lowest. "My Store" is a first-class up-to-date grocery store.

NGaulrapp

GEM Printing House is a general job printing establishment, located in the basement under the postoffice. The proprietors, Messrs. John H. Byers and E. R. Cary, have been in control since April, 1896. All kinds of job printing are promptly executed, and the proprietors take pnde in being up to the times.

(No Photo)

George M. GERDES (Biography) has been in the grocery business in Sterling more than twenty years. He carries at his present location, 308 Locust street, a well selected stock of staple and fancy groceries, provision, crockery, and fruits in season. He has always given close attention to business and for this reason has a large trade.

(No Photo)

Pg. 48 F. H. GEYER, the prominent furniture dealer of Rock Falls, was born in Ogle county in the year 1858. Mr. Geyer moved to South Dakota in 1882; was sheriff there one term and supervisor two terms. He came to Rock Falls in 1891 and purchased the furniture stock of E.E. Dill & Co. Over two years ago, finding his quarters too limited Mr. Geyer erected his present fine block to accommodate his increasing business. He has one of the largest stores in Rock Falls and carries a fine stock of furniture of every kind and description, does undertaking, has a nice line of carpets and picture frames. He is a member of the Masons, M.W.A. and A.O.U.W.

John M. GOLTMAN has been Police Magistrate in this city for the past twelve years. He obtained his education at the Franklin Academy in Franklin County PA..... was admitted to the bar in 1858. Sterling has been his home since 8161. He has been prevented from practicing his profession because of delicate health. Mr. Goltman is a popular justice and his legal training makes him particularly well fitted for the office he holds.

(No Photo)

Pg. 47 A.S. GOODELL, the prospective postmaster of Rock Falls, was born near Aurora, Illinois, in 1843. The family moved to Rock Falls, which was then a prairie, a short time after his birth. His first experience in business was in 1872, when he started a hardware store. Two years later he engaged in the manufacture of novelties, continuing this for twelve years. Mr. Goodell is now serving his third term as alderman of the Third ward, and is chairman of the committee on fire and water and judiciary. Mr. Goodell has received the endorsement of Congressman Prince for the Rock Falls post office, and will assume the responsibilities of that office February 1, 1898.  He was president of the board of education three years.

ASGoodell

Pg. 36 M.P. GRAHAM, the well known manager of the Sterling Bedal Gold Cure Sanitarium, was born in Ogle county, Ill., in 1863. He has been in the gold cure business since 1892 and has in that time treated and cured thousands of inebriates and also cured a large number of opium and morphine fiends. Mr. Graham claims that the Bedal Cure has made more successful cures in proportion to the number treated than any cure in the world. The price for liquor treatment is $75.00, board extra. Morphine and Opium treatment $25.00 per week for first three weeks and $15.00 per week for each additional week. A cure guaranteed in all cases. Write for particulars. M.P. Graham, Manage. Dr. Frank Keefer, Medical Director.

MPGraham

F. W. GORDON M. D., has resided in Sterling more than thirty years, during which time he has been engaged in the active practice of his profession. He was graduated from Hahnemann Medical College, Chicago, in the class of 1860, the first class ever graduated from that institution. Dr. Gordon is widely known in his profession throughout the State, having been President of the Rock River Institute of Homeopathy in 1896, of the Hahnemann Alumni in 1889, of the Illinois Homeopatic Association in 1890 and Commissioner of Public Health since 1893.

(No Photo)

Henry GREEN has practiced law in this city for the past twenty years. He is a graduate of Evanston College. He obtained his knowledge of law in the old fashioned way by absorbing it in the subcharged air of a law office. Mr. Green has a large practice and is highly esteemed.

(No Photo)

J.A. GROVE began business in Sterling in October 1894 at 115 East Third Street. He conducts a general bakery business on a large scale. He has six employees and runs two wagons. He has a large trade in the villages surrounding the city for twenty miles. During the summer months he does a large wholesale business in ice cream. A restaurant is also run in connection with the bakery, which enjoys a large trade.

(No Photo)

Pg. 28 S.C. GRUBB, the well known baker and dealer in cooked meats, was born in Pennsylvania in 1843. He came west and settled in Sterling in the year 1867. Mr. Grubb was successfully engaged in the coal business; billiard rooms under the Galt house, where he remained for six years. Afterwards he run feed sheds and for four years a restaurant. He started his present business over two years ago and is doing a nice business in bakery good and cooked meats.

SCGrubb

John G. HAGLOCK is the proprietor of the Sterling Steam Laundry, 15 East Fourth street, the largest institution of its kind in the city. He has been in this business since April 1886, when he purcbased the laundry business of Mr. Kern, who was then located under Fernberg's Clothing Store. During tbe first year the work was done by hand with a wash board and tub. After that time the present very excellent steam laundry was begun. In March of the present year Mr. Haglock moved into his present quarters in the I. O. O. F. building. The plant is now fitted with all the modern improvements, employing seven people. In connection with the laundry Mr. Haglock has the finest suite of bath rooms m the city.

(No Photo)

W. H. HAGLOCK began business 16 years ago and has continued ever since in harness making. He has a large stock in his store at 119 East Third street.

(No Photo)

Pg. 48 W. H. HARPER, the stone quarryman of Rock Falls, was born in Yorkshire, England, in 1832. He came to this country in 1855 and settled in Braidwood, Ill., in 1865. Mr. Harper came to Rock Falls in 1877 and engaged in the business of quarrying stone, which he has followed ever since. His quarry is located on Rock River, about a quarter of a mile above Rock Falls. The product of this quarry makes fine building material and nearly all the stone used in the principal buildings and on the streets in both Rock Falls and Sterling are from this quarry.

WHHarper

Pg. 26 - 27 JOHN HARPHAM, the veteran harness and saddlery hardware man, was born in the State of New York in the year 1828. He came west and settled in Sterling in 1855. A year later he started in harness and saddlery hardware which business he has since conducted. Mr. Harpham does a wholesale and retail business and has one of the largest stocks to be found in Northern Illinois. He is one of our oldest and most successful merchants and a man in whom the community has the utmost confidence. His store is located at No. 12 West Third street.

JohnHarpham.jpg

Pg. 30 W. W. HASKELL, the grocer, who is located at 124 East Third street, was born in Sterling May 15, 1861. In the spring of 1876 he commenced working for Overholser & Gurtisen, grocers. He remained with this firm six years. For the next thirteen years he held various positions in the Galt & Tracy and the Sterling National Banks, leaving the latter bank Dec. 1, 1894, to re-enter the grocery business, having purchased the interest of his father-in-law, L.L. Johnson, of the firm of Johnson & Haskett. Mr. Haskett united with the First Congregational church in 1878. He has been a member of the board of directors of the Y.M.C.A. since its organization, and is also a member of the Sterling school board.

WWHaskell

Pg. 27 J. HAYNES, the old photographer, was born in Ohio in the year 1833. He moved to New York City in 1862 and learned the photograph business. In the year 1867 he moved to Chicago where he did business in that city for some time. Sixteen years ago he came to Sterling and opened a gallery and has conducted a photograph business ever since. Part of the photos from which the engravings in this work was made were taken by him.

Haynes1855

Pg. 30 FREDERICK J. HEMPSTEAD, the jovial proprietor of the well known Chop House, located on Wall street, known as the "Wall Street Chop House" first saw the light of day in New York State in the year 1848. He came west in 1856 and first located at LaSalle, where he remained only a short time, coming to Sterling in the same year. His first trip to Sterling in 1856 was a visit to his father, who was at that time conducting a livery stable on the same ground where his Chop House is now located. He owns the property he occupies and has one of the best conducted restaurants and lunch counters in the west. While he has been in this business only a few months he has a fine class of trade.

FrederickJHempstead

Pg. 28 A.R. HENDRICKS.
Unquestionably one of the finest and most reliable drug stores in Whiteside county is the establishment of A.R. Hendricks on Locust street. Mr. Hendricks was born in Lancaster City, Pennsylvania, in the year 1849 . He came west in 1851 and settled in Sterling, this city having been his home ever since. On the morning of September 15, 1870, Mr. Hendricks began his clerkship with the late Dr. W.J. Galt. He was twenty-one years of age and the first year he was with Mr. Galt he received $150 and board, the second year $175 and the third year $200. His salary was increased each year for teh seven years he remained at this establishment. Twenty-seven years ago last September he started in business for himself. Mr. Hendricks' career has been very remarkable and should be an encouragement to all young men who are without capital, and who are ambitious to make their mark in the world. The establishment of which he is proprietor is very commodious and is arranged especially for the conveniences of his business. Mr. Hendricks, as well as his assistants, are thoroughly practical pharmacists. The store is most elegantly fitted up with fine shelving, cases and drawers, and is lighted by electricity and heated by hot akr. This prosperous business was founded by the present proprietor. A full line of pure drugs and chemicals is carried, also everything in the line of druggists' sundries, physicians' and surgeons' supplies, toilet articles, soaps, perfumes, patent medicines, mineral waters, and all the necessaries for the sick room or nursery. The prescription department is under the direct supervision of Mr. Hendricks and his two able assistants and all prescriptions are compounded accurately, special attention being given to those whose medicinal value depends upon the quality of the drugs used and the care exercised in their combination. Mr. Hendricks makes a specialty of handling wall paper. He is the manufacturer of the well known and celebrated Hendricks Cough Syrup, which is made very largely of wine of tar and wild cherry, which for coughs and colds and bronchitis has no superiors in the market. Mr. Hendricks is the originator of many other preparations which are considered very reliable. Mr. Hendricks does not only attend strictly to business but still has time to devote to the interest of the people of Whiteside county. He is now serving his third term as a supervisor of Whiteside county. During the year 1896 he occupied the honorable position of chairman of that body and made one of the best presiding officers the county board ever had. He is now chairman of the committee on county affiars. He has served the public very acceptably as high school treasurer for eight years. Mr. Hendricks is one of the State officers of the Ancient Order of United Workmen, occupying the office of Grand Overseer of that order, the third highest . He has also held several other positions of trust in the Grand Lodge during the past fifteen years. Mr. Hendricks is also one of the trustees of the local lodge of Odd Fellows and was one of the most active m   embers of the building committee that looked after the erection of that fine building known as Odd Fellows' block. In politics Mr. Hendricks has always been a Republican, and a very active one. He has served on the township committee several times. He was an enthusiastic Mason man during that ever-memorable struggle for the senatorship in having circulated a petition in behalf of Mason and on which he obtained 500 names. Mr. Hendricks is a genial gentleman whom everybody likes.

ARHendricks

William HESS, located at 409 Ninth avenue, is one of the veteran carriage builders of the city. For years he has conducted a shop here and has always been noted for the excellence of his work. He does repairing and has a paint shop in connection with the business. The shop is well equipped in all of its apartments, includiug blacksmith shop.

(No Photo)

Pg. 28 Dr. M.J. HILL, whose offices are located over Chester's store, was born in Indiana in the year 1842. He came west and first located at Rockford in 1855. Mr. Hill came to Sterling in 1878 and established himself in the practice of medicine. Dr. Hill is a graduate of the Chicago Homeopathic College. He makes a specialty of the practice of orificial surgery, in which he has been very successful.

MJHillBusiness.jpg

Pg. 25 HOAK BROTHERS

O.A. HOAK is one of the prominent young blacksmiths of this city, having had about ten years experience in his line of work and has worked for all the large factories of this city, Gay & Sons Carriage Works of Ottawa, Ill., Frazier Cart Works of Aurora, Ill., Dixon Steam Pump Works of Dixon, Ill., also Miller & Sons, manufacturers of express wagons, Chicago, Ill., and has given entire satisfaction in every instance. Mr. Hoak is one of the leading members of the firm of Hoak Bros. Wagon Factory, manufacturers of wagons, carriages, etc., also general repair work. This firm is located on East Third street between Sixth and Seventh avenues, and has done a thriving business during the past season. Having recently enlarged their building to double its former capacity, they are now prepared to meet the demands of their growing trade.
I.F. HOAK is one of Sterling's young busines men and also a member of the firm of Hoak Bros. Wagon Factory, having charge of the wood department of the firm. He is a graduate of the Sterling High School, class of '88, a young man of honesty and good business qualities. For a firm with such worthy young men at the head we cannot but predict success and future prosperity. Their prices are moderate. Their work is up to date and has given excellent satisfaction. They desire to thank their customers for their liberal patronage in the past and solicit their future orders.

OAHoak

Anna M. HOOVER, located at 121 East Third street, began business nearly seven years ago at the corner of Third street and First avenue. After making one change she moved her store to its present location in December, '94. She employs as many as six trimmers during the busy seasons, and is always thoroughly abreast of the times.

(No Photo)

Pg. 31 Dr. H.G. HOOVER, whose portrait appears herewith, was born in Sterling in the year 1865. After graduating in 1893 at the American Veterinary College at New York City he returned to Sterling and purchased the practice established by Dr. Trombower, with an office at J.K. Eshleman's drug store, where he can be found at all times. Mr. Hoover was appointed assistant veterinary surgeon by ex-Governon Altgeld in 1894. He is considered one of the best veterinary surgeons in this part of the State. He has excellent hospital accomodations for horses.

HGHoover.jpg

Pg. 47 E. R. HOPKINS, the Rock Falls jeweler, was born in Ohio in 1857. He came west in 1878 and first located in Kansas, where he conducted a jewelry store and where he remained two years. He located at Port Byron, Ill., in 1891. Two years ago last November Mr. Hopkins moved to Rock Falls, where he has since done business. He carries a full and complete line of jewelry, clocks, watches, etc. He is a graduate of one of the best opticial schools in this country. He gives his personal attention to the fitting of glasses, of which he has no superior in this section of the country.

ERHopkins

R. L. HOPKINS, ( D. D. S.) came to this city from Clinton, Iowa, three years ago and at once engaged in the practice of his profession. His office is in the Academy of Music Block. He is a graduate of the Dental College of the Northwestern University, Chicago.

(No Photo)

J. H. HOWLAND, 405 Locust street, is the veteran liveryman of Sterling. He has been engaged in this business for ten years. In 1886 he purchased the livery stable then located on Second avenue and Fourth street. In July of of this year he moved to his present location.

(No Photo)

H.F. HUBBARD, Foot of First avenue, a dealer in coal and wood, established his business in Sterling October, 1894. He has been a resident of this city for 27 years and is well known and thoroughly trusted by everybody. Mr. Hubbard looks after the business well, keeping one team busy all the time delivering his goods to his many customers.

HarryFHubbard

Pg. 30 C.H. IVES, the popular chief of the Sterling fire department, was born in Massachusetts in the year 1839. He came west in 1857 and first located in Amboy, where he worked at his trade, that of machinist. In 1881 he came to Sterling and has made this city his home ever since. Mr. Ives has just opened a machine shop near the water works stand pipe which he has equipped with all modern machinery and is prepared to do any and all classes of work. Ten years ago next May he was elected chief of the Sterling fire department and has filled that office continuously ever since. Mr. Ives has taken a great interest in his work and has brought the fire department to a high state of preficiency.

CHIves

JANSSEN & GOEKEN - This well known firm has been in business in Sterling at 319 First avenue for about eight years. Its main line is groceries, but goods of all kinds are sold. The dry goods department is complete and in the hands of competent salesmen, as is every other department. For one year Mr. Goeken retired to the farm and the firm was known as Janssen Bros. August Janssen being the junior partner. A large portion of its trade comes from the country, where the gentlemen are well and very favorably known.

(No Photo)

Pg. 28 F. H. JOHNS, the soda water bottler, No. 7 West Fourth street, was born in Connecticut in 1857. He came west in 1873 and first located in Prophetstown, which was his home up to 1887, when he moved to Sterling. For several years after he first came here he was engaged in street sprinkling business. Eight years ago he purchased the soda water plant he now owns. He has revolutionized the business by introducing the most modern machinery and today he has a business fully 500 percent, ahead of what it was when he purchased the plant. He has just introduced the latest patent in a cork, which is called the Crown cork, and hereafter all his bottled goods will have this simple contrivance. Mr. Johns is also well known as a good horseman. He buys and sells first class horses for family use.

FHJohns

C. C. JOHNSON was educated in Fulton, Ill., and began his law studies in Morrison in 1866. Two years later he was admitted to the bar, and in the spring of 1869 began the practice of his profession in this city. Mr. Johnson has served a number of terms as City Attorney; has been supervisor for the township, and has been minority Representative from this district in the Legislature for three terms and at the last election was elected for the coming term. In 1895 he was appointed by the Comptroller of the Treasury as receiver for Loyd's National bank, of Jamestown, Dakota.

(No Photo)

Pg. 31 J. R. JOHNSON, Sterling's postmaster, was born in the State of Michigan in the year 1857. He came west in 1882 and located in Sterling. For fourteen years previous to his term as postmaster he was engaged as superintendent of the Rock Falls Manufacturing Company. Mr. Johnson was appointed and took charge of the postoffice May 1, 1894. He is president of the Cleveland Club of Sterling, a member of the Masonic fraternity, Knights of Pythias and Uniform Rank.

JBJohnson.jpg

 


NEXT

BACK -- HOME

Genealogy Trails

© Copyright Genealogy Trails