Genealogy Trails History Group

Biographies of
Will County Residents


Fahrner, Valentine

VALENTINE FAHRNER, M.D., physician, Joliet; was born in Marienbad, a watering-place of Bohemia, Dec. 9, 1803; he was educated at the Gymnasium of Egra, after which he pursued his professional studies at the University of Prague, where he graduated and received the degree of M.D. in 1833. He began practice in his native town, where he continued until 1854; he then came to this country, and located in Chicago; in 1868, he returned to Bohemia, remaining one year, and on coming again to the United States, spent two years in Mokena, Ill., coming to Joliet in 1871. He was married in 1842, to Miss Maria Anna Tauber, of Tesehau, Bohemia; she died May 28, 1873, leaving two children - John and Anna Catherine (now Mrs. Henry Lehner, of Troy Township.) John Fahrner, son of the above, was born in Marienbad, Bohemia, Feb. 11, 1854, and came with his father's family to this country, and has continued with them ever since. He received his preparatory education in the school of the Benedictine Fathers in Chicago, after which he attended medical lectures in the University of Prague in Bohemia, and has since continued his professional studies under the instruction of his father, with whom he is associated in practice.[Source: "The History of Will County, Illinois..."; Wm. LeBaron, Jr., & Co., 1878. Tr. by K. Mohler]

Farley, Edward P.
EDWARD P. FARLEY, retired farmer; P.O. Lockport; the subject of this sketch was born in Cortland Co., N.Y., Aug. 21, 1816; in 1836, he left New York, stopping a short time in Ohio, and in February, 1837, came to Illinois and settled in Lockport; soon after coming to Lockport, he bought claims in Lake Co., Ind., and after improving them settled there and, at the Government land sale, at La Porte, bought a quarter-section. He was married in 1845, to Mary A. Lotts, a native of Pennsylvania; he lost his wife by death in the early part of 1873, and November of the same year, contracted his second marriage with Elizabeth Bartlett, a native of Maine; had one child by first marriage - Henry; he died at the age of 9. Owned at one time 240 acres. Was Postmaster at West Creek, Lake Co., Ind., twenty years; Justice of the Peace twelve years, and County Assessor two years. Republican; Congregationalist. He has retired from active business life to enjoy the honest rewards of a well-spent early life.[Source: "The History of Will County, Illinois..."; Wm. LeBaron, Jr., & Co., 1878. Tr. by K. Mohler]

Fay, W.D.
W.D. FAY, photograph artist, Joliet; was born in Northampton Co., Penn., May 23, 1827; he entered upon the business of photographing at the age of 20 years, previously to which he had followed the trade of a tailor; he continued the photograph business in his native State until 1860, when he removed to Joliet, where he has resided to the present time; he is the oldest photographer in Joliet, and one of the oldest in the State. He held the office of Street Commissioner one year, and in 1869, was elected City Treasurer, holding the office two years; he is at present Township School Treasurer, to which he was elected in June, 1877. He was married in 1858, to Miss Catharine R. Waldron, of Harford, Penn., and has two children - Alpha A. and Winnifred W.[Source: "The History of Will County, Illinois..."; Wm. LeBaron, Jr., & Co., 1878. Tr. by K. Mohler]

Fedde, Henry
HENRY FEDDE, furniture, Peotone; born in Holstein, Germany, Sept. 9, 1827, where he lived and worked at the trade of brickmason until he emigrated to America, landing in New York May 27, 1854, coming directly to Joliet, Will Co., Ill.; he worked at his trade for one year, then worked at the furniture business four years; he moved to Momence, Kankakee Co., where he started in the furniture business, which he followed for a period of eight years, when, in 1867, he settled in the furniture business at Peotone, Will Co., Ill., which he has since followed; he carries the only stock of furniture in Peotone. He married June 30, 1857, Miss Anna Heeht; she was born in Holstein, Germany; they are the parents of three children - John F., born Aug. 13, 1858; Henry, born May 5, 1860, died Aug. 15, 1861; Edward H., born Feb. 13, 1867. [Source: "The History of Will County, Illinois..."; Wm. LeBaron, Jr., & Co., 1878. Tr. by K. Mohler]

Feely, John B.
JOHN B. FEELY, farmer; P.O. Braidwood; was born in the county of Roscommon, Ireland, Jan. 3, 1829, and is the son of Andrew and Mary (Bannon) Feely, of Ireland; his father was a farmer; Mr. Feely was raised on his father's farm, and, in November, 1849, immigrated to America and landed in Boston, Mass.; thence to Dorchester, Mass., one year on a farm; then West to Illinois and settled in Joliet, Will Co., April 5, 1851; here he remained until 1854; he then went to California and engaged in mining in the goldfields of California for four years and nine months; success very good; he then returned to Illinois, and May 29, 1859, he settled on the farm he now lives on. Married in 1859 to Miss Wineford Lannon, of Ireland, by whom he has had twelve children, seven living. Mr. Feely is a Democrat in politics, and a member of the Catholic Church. Owns 280 acres of land. When he first came here the country was very wild. Made all improvements on his farm.[Source: "The History of Will County, Illinois..."; Wm. LeBaron, Jr., & Co., 1878. Tr. by K. Mohler]

Felten, John
JOHN FELTEN, farmer and stock-raiser; P.O. Frankfort Station; one of our first German settlers; was born in Germany July 14, 1827; came to the United States in 1848, and to this State and settled in Will Co. in the same year; his farm consists of 240 acres, valued at $12,000. He was married March 5, 1852, to Miss Mary Feil, who was born in Germany Nov. 14, 1830; they have had thirteen children, ten of whom are living, viz., John, Caroline, Minnie, Amellia, Christian, Margaret, Mary, Charlotte, Lizzie and Charles; deceased, Dory and two infants. Since Mr. Felten's residence in the township, he has held the office of School Director several years, Street Commissioner two years, and was the first German official in the township.[Source: "The History of Will County, Illinois..."; Wm. LeBaron, Jr., & Co., 1878. Tr. by K. Mohler]

Felton, John P.
JOHN P. FELTON, farmer and stock-raiser; P.O. Frankfort Station; one of our early settlers; was born in Germany Jan. 11, 1819; came to the United States in 1854, and to this State and settled in Will Co. in the same year; his farm consists of 320 acres, valued at $16,000. He was married to Miss Barbara Chrisman, who was born in Germany Dec. 25, 1820; they have seven children, viz., Minnie, Peter, Jacob, Mary, Adam, Carrie and Lena. Since his residence in the township, he has held office of School Director six years, and Road Commissioner six years.[Source: "The History of Will County, Illinois..."; Wm. LeBaron, Jr., & Co., 1878. Tr. by K. Mohler]

Ferriss, James H.
JAMES H. FERRISS, P.O. Joliet; of Nelson, Ferriss & Co., proprietors of the Joliet Morning News; was born near Oswego, Kendall Co., Ill. He is a son of Wm. H. Ferriss, formerly of Clinton Co., N.Y. His mother was Eliza M. Brown, formerly of Erie Co., Penn. The subject of this sketch became a resident of Bristol Station, Ill., where he received a common school education; at the age of 10 years he entered a store - half saloon and half grocery - and tended bar until he was 14 years of age, when he was seized with a spiritual, or no-spirit-at-all turn, and joined the Good Templars. He afterward attended a commercial college, run a butcher-shop, lived three years as a Kansas squatter, followed the live-stock trade, and was one of the proprietors of the Yorkville News during the Peter Cooper campaign. He also reported for the Joliet Sun, in an obscure capacity, in 1874, and with three others launched the Phoenix newspaper enterprise, in Will Co., on Jan. 1, 1877. In October, the same year, he, with his present associates, purchased the Morning News, and since then has pursued a steady and consistent course. During all his eventful career, he has never been married, had any bones broken, or had his life insured, but lives on in hopefulness, etc.[Source: "The History of Will County, Illinois..."; Wm. LeBaron, Jr., & Co., 1878. Tr. by K. Mohler]

Fiddyment, John
JOHN FIDDYMENT, farmer; P.O. Lockport; was born in Ashwellthorp, Norfolk Co., Eng., July 11, 1809; he immigrated to America in 1837, and settled some three miles south of Joliet; here he engaged in farming the first year for Esquire Half; the following year, he rented the farm and managed for himself; in the latter part of 1839, he moved to Joliet and engaged in brewing for Wade & Woodruff, remaining in their employ three years; he then went into the distillery and was thus engaged until 1849, being a part of the time in company with Woodruff; in 1849, he came to Lockport, bought a distillery and operated it until the spring of 1865. In the fall of 1839, his wife and only son came over and joined the husband and father at Joliet. In 1843, he purchased a farm on Flag Creek which he operated for some years. He was married in January, 1836, to Sophia Blogg, a native of England. The last years of his life were devoted to superintending his farm. At the time of his decease, Jan. 17, 1874, he owned 240 acres of fine farming land just outside the corporate limits of the city of Lockport. He held the office of Supervisor three terms.[Source: "The History of Will County, Illinois..."; Wm. LeBaron, Jr., & Co., 1878. Tr. by K. Mohler]

Fiddyment, Walter J.
WALTER J. FIDDYMENT, farmer; P.O. Lockport; only son of John and Sophia (Blogg) Fiddyment, was born in the parish of Great Milton, England, April 3, 1837; he was but 2 years of age when his mother crossed the ocean for America, his father having come the same year in which he was born; he has always lived with his parents; since his majority has done business in company with his father. He was married July 3, 1862, to Ellen J. Clarkson, a native of Joliet, Will Co.; has had nine children, eight living, one deceased. At present he is engaged in farming and stock raising. Has held the offices of Justice of the Peace, Town Clerk, School Director, etc.[Source: "The History of Will County, Illinois..."; Wm. LeBaron, Jr., & Co., 1878. Tr. by K. Mohler]

Finigan, Harry P.
, wholesale binder twine, etc.; born in Will Co., ILL., Jan. 31, 1857; son of Harry P. and Margaret (Fennelly) Finigan; educated in public schools of Illinois; married, Denver, Colo., Mar. 27, 1881, Lida H. Brooke; children: William H., Margery E. Began business career as clerk in wholesale store of S. & 0. Herget, Pekin, ILL., 1871-73; bookkeeper for T. W. Lowry, flour mill, Lincoln, Neb., 1873-78; studied law in office of Connor & Maule, Fairmont, Neb., and was admitted to bar, 1880, engaged in practice for about a year; traveling salesman for Marsh Harvester Co., 1881-82; local dealer in farming implements, Brookings, S. D., 1883-85; assistant sales manager Northwestern Car Co., 1885-88; traveling auditor Walter A. Wood Mowing and Reaping Machine Co., 1888-93; assistant treasurer Walter A. Wood Harvester Co. at St. Paul, Minn., 1893-97; since 1897 of Macgowan & Finigan, wholesale binder twine, rope and cordage, St. Louis; also treasurer Macgowan & Finigan Foundry and Machine Co., manufacturers of Newton Pulverizer and Roller Harrows. Club: St. Louis Power Boat. Office: 42 Gay Bldg. Residence: 17 N. Taylor Street. [Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater]

Fink, George
GEORGE FINK, farmer and stock-raiser; P.O. Frankfort Station; was born in Germany Jan. 13, 1839; came to the United States in 1851, and settled in Frankfort, Will Co., Ill.; his farm consists of 109 acres, valued at $7,000, and is situated on Sec. 27. He was married to Miss Christina Briederdt; they have had seven children, six of whom are living, viz., Mary, Emma, George, Henry, Gustave and John; deceased, Mattie. Mr. F. was elected Township Collector in April, 1877; his time for the same office expires April, 1879.[Source: "The History of Will County, Illinois..."; Wm. LeBaron, Jr., & Co., 1878. Tr. by K. Mohler]

Fisher, Bryan
BRYAN FISHER, miller, Wilmington; born in Chester Co., Penn., Sept. 18, 1824; removed to Illinois with his father's family in June, 1839, stopping in Chicago for a few months and locating in Wilmington, his present home, in the following September; Mr. Fisher has been engaged in milling since he came to this city, a period of nearly forty years. In 1850, he was married to Miss Lucy A. Hitchcock, who was born in Onondaga Co., N.Y.; five children by this union - Eliza J., Thomas B., Cornelia, Maria L. and Walter F.[Source: "The History of Will County, Illinois..."; Wm. LeBaron, Jr., & Co., 1878. Tr. by K. Mohler]

Fisher, John C.
JOHN C. FISHER (J.C. Fisher & Co.), milling, Wilmington; born in Rochester, N.Y., Feb. 15, 1834; when about 5 years of age, his father's family removed to Illinois, and, after a short stay in Chicago, located in Wilmington, in September, 1839; here his father engaged in the milling business, which he followed up to the time of his death. The subject of this sketch has followed his present business since boyhood, and, in 1860, purchased an interest in the mill; owns forty acres of coal land, valued at $4,000, and city property, including mill interest, valued at $30,000; served as member of City Council in 1870. Married, in 1858, Miss Annie F. Ford, who was born in the North of Ireland; seven children by this union, five living - John T., George R., Frank C., Charles V. and Fannie F.; lost one - Mary C., died in 1867.[Source: "The History of Will County, Illinois..."; Wm. LeBaron, Jr., & Co., 1878. Tr. by K. Mohler]

Fitch, Joseph
JOSEPH FITCH, M.D., physician, druggist and general merchandise, Channahon; the subject of this sketch was born in Genesee Co., N.Y., July 29, 1825. He married Miss Harriet A. Duncan July 20, 1852; she was born in Dearborn Co., Ind., Feb. 2, 1826; they had two children, one living, viz., Mary E. He lived in New York until 1847; was engaged in teaching, also read medicine; he then went to Dearborn Co., Ind., and engaged in teaching; he also finished his course in medicine, graduating in the Indianapolis Medical College in 1850; returning to Dearborn County, he commenced the practice of medicine; in April, 1852, he came to Channahon, and soon returned to Indiana, where he married and came back to Channahon, and commenced practicing; in 1862, he added his present business; he started in poor circumstances, leaving home at the age of 17; he educated himself, and now enjoys a fair practice and good general business.[Source: "The History of Will County, Illinois..."; Wm. LeBaron, Jr., & Co., 1878. Tr. by K. Mohler]

Fithian, John B.
COL. JOHN B. FITHIAN, of the firm of Fithian & Avery, attorneys at law, Joliet; was born in Genesee Co., N.Y., Oct. 26, 1849; he is a son of Dr. William E. Fithian, a physician and Presbyterian clergyman; in 1857, the family removed to Iowa and resided in different parts of the State until 1862, when his father took charge of the Sanitary Department at Helena, Ark., and afterward was appointed Medical Inspector of the Department of Tennessee; during that time John B. was Chief Clerk at Helena, and in 1863, reported to the Sanitary Department at Vicksburg, and was present during the siege of that place; after the war, he came to Illinois and followed the newspaper business at various points until 1873; he then came to Joliet, and was employed in various capacities in the Illinois State Penitentiary until the spring of 1876; in the mean time he had been improving his spare time in studying law in the offices of Munn & Munn, and C.B. Garnsey, Esq., of Joliet; he was admitted to practice in September, 1876, and in September, 1877, formed a partnership with E.D. Avery, which still continues. He was one of the organizers of the Citizens' Corps, and on the organization of the 10th Battalion I.N.G., was appointed Adjutant under Lt. Col. Parsons; in July, 1877, he resigned, but on the breaking-out of the Braidwood disturbances, he enlisted as a private, and served during the riot; on the organization of the 12th Battalion, Oct. 15, 1877, he was elected Major, and on the 9th of February, 1878, was promoted to the rank of Leiut. Colonel, which position he still holds. He was married Jan. 18, 1878, to Miss Edna E. Whittaker, of Carlinville, Ill.[Source: "The History of Will County, Illinois..."; Wm. LeBaron, Jr., & Co., 1878. Tr. by K. Mohler]

Flack, John J.
JOHN J. FLACK (deceased), formerly of Joliet, whose portrait appears in this work, was born on May 10, 1799, in Washington Co., N.Y. He married Dec. 24, 1818, Miss Elizabeth Nelson, who was born in the same county Dec. 15, 1799. In 1819, he moved from Washington Co. to Essex Co., N.Y., and was largely engaged in farming and the manufacture of lumber and iron, also a large dealer in horses, cattle, sheep and hogs. He was also for many years an officer of the court. Mr. Flack having in the year 1844, purchased large tracts of land in the State of Illinois, moved his family to Joliet in 1845, and became very largely engaged in farming and stock-raising; he also was interested in property, both in Chicago and Joliet. He was an officer of the court in Will Co., and Joliet also, for many years. He died Sept. 25, 1876, aged 80 years, 5 months and 15 days; his widow still survives him, a good wife and mother, and a lady beloved by all. They had eight children, all born in Essex Co., N.Y. - Jane A., born Sept. 8, 1819; W. Nelson, Jan. 1, 1821; J. Alexander, Aug. 4, 1823; Mortimer A., May 25, 1825; Maria A., May 15, 1827; Whalon J., Nov. 23, 1829; Washington J., Sept. 19, 1832; and Martha J., born July 6, 1839.[Source: "The History of Will County, Illinois..."; Wm. LeBaron, Jr., & Co., 1878. Tr. by K. Mohler]

Flagg, William H.
WILLIAM H. FLAGG, farmer, Sec. 10; P.O. Plainfield; the subject of this sketch is the youngest son of Reuben and Mrs. Betsey (Kendall) Flagg; he was born in this township May 8, 1841, on the old homestead, settled by his father about 1834. He married Miss Margarett Van Horn Dec. 10, 1867; she was born in Paterson, N.J., Aug. 1, 1841; they had five children - four living, viz., Kate O., Bessie L., Warren Lee and Henry C. He has always lived in this township, and has followed his occupation as farmer; he started in very limited circumstances, and now owns eighty-four acres adjoining the village of Plainfield, which he has earned by his own labor and management.[Source: "The History of Will County, Illinois..."; Wm. LeBaron, Jr., & Co., 1878. Tr. by K. Mohler]

Flanders, James R.
JAMES R. FLANDERS, attorney at law, firm of Hagar & Flanders, Joliet; was born Aug. 27, 1846, in Plainfield, Will Co., Ill., and is a son of Jason and Lucy Flanders. He attended the public schools of Plainfield, and the Northwestern College, located at Plainfield, until May, 1864, working on a farm during vacations. On the 10th of May, 1864, he enlisted in Company C, 132nd I.V.I., serving until Oct. 17, 1864. After his discharge from the army, he returned to school, and remained in school until the spring of 1867; he then entered the law office of Randall & Fuller, in Joliet, and read law until Oct., 1867; he then taught school in Henry Co., Ill., until the spring of 1868; read law during the summer, and the following winter, again taught school at the same place. During the summer of 1869, he continued his law studies, and in September of that year, entered the Law Department of the University of Michigan, at Ann Arbor, where he graduated in March, 1871. He was admitted to the bar in Michigan, April 4, 1871, and to the bar of Illinois, June 20, 1871, and immediately began practice in Joliet. He was elected City Attorney of Joliet in the spring of 1873, and re-elected in the spring of 1874, and again elected in the spring of 1876. In November, 1876, he was elected State's Attorney of Will County, which office he still holds. He was married to Miss Sarah A. Arnold, April 10, 1877.[Source: "The History of Will County, Illinois..."; Wm. LeBaron, Jr., & Co., 1878. Tr. by K. Mohler]

Flanders, Jason
, deceased; was born in Hebron, Vt., Aug. 18, 1810; resided there about twenty years, then removed to Boston, Mass., where he remained seven years; from there he went to Lowell, where he remained five years, during which time he was engaged as cleark in a store. He was married to Lucy Ann Clark March 29, 1833; she was born in Amherst, N.H., Nov. 4, 1810; she is still living, and resides in Plainfield; Mr. F. started for this State in company with his wife May 19, 1833; and arrived in this county June 20, of the same yeary; he came by canal and lake to Detroit, and from there here with a wagon; he first bought government land near Troy, in this county, and farmed eight years; he then purchased the place (thirty acres in the village of Plainfield) where Mrs. F. now resides, and continued there until his death, which occurred Feb. 26, 1874; Mr. F. was the first constable elected in Plainfield and held that office a great many years; at the time of his death, he owned between three and four hundred acres of land. Mrs. F. says that during their early life in this county, she has known three months to elapse without seeing any other human being but her husband; Mr. F. was highly respected by all who knew him. Mr. F. had six children, three of whom are now living -- James (now prosecuting Attorney in Joliet), Martha (now Mrs. McElhose), Sarah (deceased), Emma (now Mrs. Bragow) and George (deceased), formerly a member of the 100th I.V.I.; he died at bowling Green, Ky., Nov. 25, 1862; his remains were brought home and interred in the Plainfield Cemetery. [Source: "The History of Will County, Illinois: Containing a History of the County ..." By George H. Woodruff, H. H. Hill, 1878]

Folkers, Johnson
JOHNSON FOLKERS, butcher and dealer in smoked and salt meats, Frankfort Station; was born in Germany June 11, 1835; came to the United States in 1846, and settled in Frankfort, Will Co., Ill., in 1850. He was married to Sophia Eberhart, who was born in Germany; they have three children - Frank, Willie and Peter. Mr. F. was a participant in our late war; he enlisted in the 20th I.V.I.; served two years and was discharged with honor on account of disabilities, in October, 1864.[Source: "The History of Will County, Illinois..."; Wm. LeBaron, Jr., & Co., 1878. Tr. by K. Mohler]

Folkers, Johnson
Johnson Folkers is a prominent German-American citizen of Frankfort Station, who keeps abreast with the progress of the times, and has endeavored at all times to advance the interests of his adopted country. Ever since he was a boy, and from an early day in the history of this county, he has made his home here. His life of industry and his record for integrity in all relations of life have given him a standing in his community which might well be a source of graticiation to any citizen. At one time he had many important business interests in his home town, but for some years past he has been practically retired from business cares, transferring his interests to his sons, in whose hands they have received careful attention.
Mr Folkers was born in Ostfriesland, Hanover, Germany, June 11, 1836, a son of Frank Theilen Folkers and Ariane (Gummels) Folkers. His father was a large merchant in his native place, Neustadt Goedens, Germany, but after coming to America, in 1852, he turned his attention to farm pursuits. He died in Frankfort Station, Will County, March 14, 1893, when ninety-seven years of age. He (sic) wife had died in Germany in 1843, leaving five children, viz.: Rica, who lives at Frankfort Station; Angelina, widow of Philip Klaman; Peter, of West Superior, Wis.; Johnson; and Annie, wife of George Stauffenberg, of Manhattan Township. The grandparents of our subject on his father's side were Didde Jansen Hinzaga and Anna Muttera Folkers, the former a miller by occupation, and known and honored as a good citizen and an honest man. In religious faith the family were members of the Lutheran Church.
In 1849 Johnson Folkers came to America with his uncle, Diederich Brumund, and settled on a farm where Mokena now stands, near Hickory Creek, Frankfort Township. For a few years he made his home with his uncle. Later he settled in what is now Greengarden Township. When he was fifteen he began to work out by the month, and continued as a farm hand until he was twenty-five. During the construction of the Rock Island Railroad he was employed as a teamster near Mokena. In 1853 he worked on the Michigan Central Railroad near Joliet. In 1863 he bought a piece of land adjoining Frankfort Station. Settling here, he embarked in the meat business, which he carried on until 1889, being the first to open a meat market in the town. Some years later he bought out the livery, and this he carried on in addition to his market. Later he bought the Doty hotel. These three lines of business he conducted successfully until 1889, when he turned them over to his three sons, Frank, William and Peter.
While he never cared for office nor desired to be active in politics, Mr Folkers takes an interest in public affairs and is a firm Republican. In April, 1861, he enlisted in Company F, Twentieth Illinois Infantry, and served in the same until 1862, when he was discharged on account of disability. With his regiment he was engaged principally in service on the frontier. He fought in the battle of Frederickstown with the western division of the army under Colonel Marsh. As a soldier he was prompt, reliable and faithful. On his return home from the front he married Sophia, daughter of John Eberhard, their wedding occurring February 23, 1862. Besides their three sons, they have reared two adopted daughters, Hattie and Mabel, bestowing on them the most careful attention and giving them excellent educational advantages. [Genealogical and Biographical Record of Will County, Illinois (Chicago: Biographical Pub. Co., 1900) - Submitted by Amy Robbins-Tjaden]

Folkers, Ulrach
ULRACH FOLKERS, farmer; P.O. Frankfort Station; one of our early settlers; was born in Germany Aug. 1, 1814; came to the United States in 1857, and to this State, and settled in Will Co. in the same year; his farm contains 120 acres, valued at $6,000. He was married to Miss Catherine Cruse, who was born in Germany Oct. 16, 1821; they have had six children, viz., Anna Catherina, Henry, Eliza, Amelia, Deitrick and Frederica.[Source: "The History of Will County, Illinois..."; Wm. LeBaron, Jr., & Co., 1878. Tr. by K. Mohler]

Foran, William
WILLIAM FORAN, farmer, Sec. 19; P.O. Minooka; this gentleman was born in Kildare Co., Ireland, May 1, 1842. He married Miss Elizabeth C. Hayes Jan. 27, 1869; she was born in Will Co., Ill., May 26, 1844; they have six children, viz., Mary J., James, Margaret, Annie L., Allice E. and Fannie C. He lived in Ireland six years, when he came to the United States with his parents, who lived one year in New York City, and then moved to Kendall Co., Ill., and engaged in farming, where he lived until the spring of 1874, when he came to his present place; he started in poor circumstances; he now owns eighty acres here, well improved, and seventy acres in Kendall Co., which he has earned by his own labor and management. [Source: "The History of Will County, Illinois..."; Wm. LeBaron, Jr., & Co., 1878. Tr. by K. Mohler]

Foster, Lyman
LYMAN FOSTER, retired farmer, P.O. Plainfield. Non-sectarian; Democratic. Owns house and lot in village; was born March 30, 1793, in the town of Meriden, New Haven Co., Conn.; at the age of 11, his parents removed to Lewis Co., N.Y.; remained with them until 13 years of age, and was then apprenticed to paper-making; served until he was 21; then went to Chenango Co., N.Y., and took charge of a paper-mill for two and one-half years; he then went to Cooperstown, and, in company with others, built a paper-mill at that place, which he conducted three years and then sold out; he then went to Little Falls, N.Y., and for two years took charge of the largest paper-mill in the State, after which he went to Esperance, N.Y.; stopped one year; then went to New Berlin; stopped one year; he then went to Lewis Co., N.Y., and farmed about five years; then to this township in 1844, where he engaged in farming until his retirement, about nine years ago; during the time he engaged in farming, he sold Mr. Norton 30,000 bushels of corn. Mr. F. has been twice married; his first union was with Esther Blood, when he was 27 years of age; she was born in Vermont, and died about fifteen years ago; had eight children by that marriage, six of whom are now living, viz., Giles D., Fayette, Mercy A., Mary A., Helen and Cornelia; the names of those that died are Louisa J. and Isaac J.; Mr. F.'s second marriage was with Mrs. Emily Pearsons, April 18, 1869. Mr. F. remembers when the death of Washington occurred, and a funeral sermon that was preached on that occasion, in 1799; he also remembers seeing the British fleet as it passed up New York Harbor, in 1813 or 1814, to attack New York City. At the age of 24, he was appointed Justice of the Peace for Otsego Co., N.Y., by Daniel D. Tompkins, then Governor of that State, which office he held continuously for fourteen years. Mr. F., during two years of his stay in Otsego Co., N.Y., supplied the Albany Argus with paper, that then being the leading newspaper in the State.[Source: "The History of Will County, Illinois..."; Wm. LeBaron, Jr., & Co., 1878. Tr. by K. Mohler]

Fowler, Caleb
CALEB FOWLER, general merchandise, Channahon; the subject of this sketch was born in Poughkeepsie, N.Y., Dec. 9, 1818. He married Miss Harriet Handy June 23, 1842; they had eight children, five living, viz., Charles E., Frank D., Mary H., Ella F. and Hattie A. He lived in New York about twenty-four years when he was married and moved to Ashland Co., Ohio, where he engaged at his trade of carpenter, and remained there until 1854; he then came to this township, where he followed his trade until 1870, when he and his son, C.E., bought out Mr. C. Bradford and established their present business; he has held the offices of Township Treasurer twelve years, School Trustee, Town Clerk and Justice of the Peace.[Source: "The History of Will County, Illinois..."; Wm. LeBaron, Jr., & Co., 1878. Tr. by K. Mohler]

Fowser, J.J.
J.J. FOWSER, farmer; P.O. Plainfield; was born in Stark Co., Ohio, Aug. 13, 1827; he remained with his parents till his majority, attending school winters, and farming summers; in the spring of 1854, he came West, and settled on the north end of his present farm. He was married April 11, 1848, to Esther Ream, a native of Summit Co., Ohio; she was born Oct. 16, 1827; nine children have been born to them, of which five are living, and four are deceased - Elmira (now wife of G.W. Waisner, of South Bend, Ind.), Daniel F., Edwin T., Emma, Clara, living; Solomon, Newton, Diana and an infant son deceased; his present residence on the southern extremity of his farm was erected in 1856, and occupied in 1857; he owns 186 acres in Sec. 6, Lockport Tp., valued at $70 per acre. Has held the offices of School Director and Pathmaster. He deals largely in horses, cattle, hogs and mules. Mr. Fowser is the heaviest, if not the largest farmer in his section, and is socially as jolly as he is large, and his presence is a synonym with his neighbors for mirth and jocularity.[Source: "The History of Will County, Illinois..."; Wm. LeBaron, Jr., & Co., 1878. Tr. by K. Mohler]

Fox, O.
O. FOX, dealer in clothing, hats, caps and gents furnishing goods, Joliet; has been a citizen of Will Co. for the past twenty-three years; he was born in Stanstead, Province of Quebec, Aug. 21, 1828; when he was about 15 years of age, he left home, and going to Boston, Mass., engaged as clerk in a mercantile house; about six years later he went to New York City, where he remained the same length of time; he came West in 1855, locating in Joliet, where he has been in business ever since; first in the book and stationery business for some nine years; then five years as a contractor, employing the convict labor in the Penitentiary in the manufacture of cigars; in 1868, he engaged in his present business. He keeps a full supply of goods in his line at prices to suit the times; in addition to this business, he has for the past three years carried on a Penitentiary contract in manufacturing cigars. He was married June 16, 1858, to Miss Anna J. White, of Brooklyn, N.Y., and has four children living - Jennie A., Jessie B., Allie A. and Mamie J. Mr. Fox resides in a beautiful residence, one of the finest in Joliet, located on the bluffs overlooking the city. This was erected by him in 1874, and is an ornament to the city and a credit to its builder.[Source: "The History of Will County, Illinois..."; Wm. LeBaron, Jr., & Co., 1878. Tr. by K. Mohler]

Francis, A Allen
A ALLEN FRANCIS, farmer and dealer in live-stock, also breeder of shorthorn Durham cattle; P.O. New Lenox; was born in New Lenox, Will Co., Ill., Sept. 7, 1840; is the son of the late Abraham Francis, who came to this State in 1831; the farm of Mr. Francis consists of 1,000 acres, valued at $60,000. He was married to Miss Lizzie J. Haven Sept. 15, 1870, who was born in New Lenox, Will Co., Ill., March 31, 1849; they have one child - Mary Luella, born Oct. 20, 1877. At present holds the position of President of Will Co., Agricultural and Mechanical Association, and President of New Lenox Mutual Fire Ins. Co.[Source: "The History of Will County, Illinois..."; Wm. LeBaron, Jr., & Co., 1878. Tr. by K. Mohler]

Francis, John
JOHN FRANCIS, farmer and stock-raiser; P.O. New Lenox; was born in Will Co., Ill., Jan. 8, 1843; is the son of the late Abraham Francis, deceased, who was one of our first settlers; the farm of Mr. Francis consists of 375 acres of land, valued at $18,500; is situated on Secs. 9, 5 and 8. He was married to Miss Harriet M. Bliss, who was born in New Lenox, Will Co., Ill., Sept. 5, 1846; they have had three children - John E., Howard B. and Hattie. Mr. Francis has held the office of School Trustee nine years, Township Collector two years, and Supervisor five years.[Source: "The History of Will County, Illinois..."; Wm. LeBaron, Jr., & Co., 1878. Tr. by K. Mohler]

Fraser, H.R.
H.R. FRASER, hardware and groceries, Plainfield; the subject of this sketch was born in Sullivan Co., N.Y., Nov. 30, 1834. He married Miss Roxanna Wright Feb. 6, 1866; she was born in Plainfield, Ill., Dec. 19, 1845; they have one child, viz., Manford S. He lived in New York twelve years, when he moved to Plainfield; his mother, Mrs. Elizabeth (Brown) Fraser, died in Chicago while on their way here; his father and family came to this township and engaged in farming near this village, continuing in same until his death, July, 1857; Mr. H.R. moved to a farm about four miles southeast of this village. He remained there until 1861, when he enlisted in the 13th I.V.C., serving three years and two months, taking part in the battles of Arkansas Post, capture of Little Rock, Red River expedition, etc., etc. In the spring of 1865, he engaged in his present business, style of firm being Smiley & Fraser, and continued seven years; the firm then became H.R. Fraser & Co., and has so continued.[Source: "The History of Will County, Illinois..."; Wm. LeBaron, Jr., & Co., 1878. Tr. by K. Mohler]

Fraser, John A.
JOHN A. FRASER, farmer; P.O. Plainfield; was born in Sullivan Co., N.Y., July 30, 1823; he remained with his parents until his majority, working on the farm summers, and attending school during the Winter months; in the Fall of 1849, he came West, and settled in Plainfield Tp., and engaged in farming; he erected his present desirable residence in 1854, and in the spring of 1855, occupied the same; here he has lived ever since. He was married March 27, 1855, to Mary A. Van Horn, a native of New Jersey, Orange Co., N.Y.; has four children - Alice J., Edsel H., Clara B., Wilbur J. Owns 120 acres of land, valued at $8,400. Has held the office of School Director. Mr. Fraser is Republican in politics and a member of the Congregational Church. His well-cultivated farm, adorned with his neat and comfortable residence and out-buildings, breathes a spirit of thrift and enterprise. As an upright, square-dealing, honest and enterprising farmer, Mr. Fraser stands without a peer in his vicinity.[Source: "The History of Will County, Illinois..."; Wm. LeBaron, Jr., & Co., 1878. Tr. by K. Mohler]

Fraser, S.B.
S.B. FRASER, farmer; P.O. Plainfield; this gentleman was born in Sullivan County, N.Y., Sept. 24, 1832, and is the son of Robert and Elizabeth (Brown) Fraser, natives of Ireland, having emigrated to America when they were young; Mr. Fraser was brought up on his father's farm, and has been engaged in farming ever since; in 1847, he started West with his father and mother, but on the way his mother took sick on the lake and died in Chicago; came to Will Co. and first settled near Plainfield, then near Lockport, thence to Wheatland Tp., here he has remained ever since; owns to-day 160 acres of fine, improved land. Mr. Fraser married Miss Ann Brown, daughter of James Brown.[Source: "The History of Will County, Illinois..."; Wm. LeBaron, Jr., & Co., 1878. Tr. by K. Mohler]

Frazer, James D.
JAMES D. FRAZER, farmer; P.O. Lockport; was born in Pittsford, Monroe Co., N.Y., Oct. 5, 1821; he was one of nine children; his mother was of Dutch and his father of Scotch extraction; his great grandfather was frozen to death on the Green Mountains, Vt.; his parents being poor, the subject of this sketch was thrown upon his own resources early in life, working upon a farm until 19 years of age, from which time up to the age of 27 he was employed in collecting and driving stock from Ohio, Pennsylvania and Western New York to Boston; on June 8, 1849, he came West and purchased a farm in this township, now owned and occupied by Harmon V., one of his brothers; in 1852, he crossed the plains to California, remaining there nineteen months mining at Yreka; he returned to this county in April, 1854, and has been engaged in farming ever since; in 1854, was elected Highway Commissioner, and in 1861, was elected Supervisor of the town, and having in that year offered a resolution before the Board of Supervisors instructing the County Treasurer to receive the county taxes in "greenbacks" has been called and known as the "Veteran Greenbacker;" in 1865, he was elected Assessor, and in 1874, was again elected Supervisor, being re-elected in 1878 to the same position; he has always taken an active part in politics, and in whatever would advance the interests of his county has always taken a prominent part; he was a Delegate to the convention of 1856, which organized the Republican party. He married Mary F. Lane (daughter of John Lane, the inventor of the first steel plow), in Lockport in this county, April 12, 1857; she was born in Pittsford, N.Y., Sept. 4, 1830; they have three children - John D., born March 29, 1858; Mattie J., Jan. 16, 1863, and Mary F., Feb. 16, 1867. [Source: "The History of Will County, Illinois: Containing a History of the County ..." by Wm. LeBaron, Jr., & Co., 1878. Tr. by K. Mohler]

Fridley, John
JOHN FRIDLEY, farmer, Sec. 10; P.O. Wilmington; owns 160 acres of land, valued at $50 per acre; born in Switzerland March 26, 1838; emigrated to the United States in 1857, and came direct to this township. Married Mrs. Meria Dellenbach, of this township, in 1866; she was born in Wurtemberg, Germany, in 1827, and came to this country in 1852; Mrs. Fridley's children by her first husband are John and Frank Dellenbach; one child by second marriage - E. Franklin Fridley. Mr. Fridley enlisted in the 100th Ill. V.I. Aug. 21, 1862; was wounded in the knee, near Kenesaw Mountain, June 18, 1864, from the effects of which he was helpless for two months; he remained in the hospital nearly eight months before he rejoined the regiment; was mustered out June 12, 1865, at Nashville, Tenn. When Mr. Fridley proposed leaving his native country, like many others, "Chill penury repressed his noble rage, And froze the genial courage of his soul." However, he was encouraged by a friend, who lent him money to pay for his fare; so when he arrived here he was not only without money, but actually in debt for his passage to this country; now he enjoys a comfortable home.[Source: "The History of Will County, Illinois..."; Wm. LeBaron, Jr., & Co., 1878. Tr. by K. Mohler]

Friedriechs, John
JOHN FRIEDRIECHS, farmer; P.O. Monee; one of our early settlers in Greengarden; was born in Germany; came to the United States in 1849, and to Illinois in the same year; his farm consists of 160 acres, valued at $7,000. He was married to Miss Christina Jacobs, who was born in Germany; they have three children living, viz., John, George and Henry, and two deceased, viz., Louisa and Minnie.[Source: "The History of Will County, Illinois..."; Wm. LeBaron, Jr., & Co., 1878. Tr. by K. Mohler]

Friedrich, Joseph
JOSEPH FRIEDRICH, farmer and stock-raiser; P.O. Joliet; was born in Biul, Weisserberg, near Strasbourg, Alsace, April 25, 1820; he was raised to the business of stock-raising and farming, and in 1840, came to the United States; he spent about three months at work near Buffalo, N.Y.; going from there to Chicago, and shortly afterward coming to Joliet; he worked for awhile on the dam at this place, and in the spring following went to Lockport, and was employed for about five months on the Canal; thence, in the fall, to Chicago. The following summer, he located in Naperville, Ill., and resided there till he settled in Joliet in May, 1847, except a short time spent in the South; in the spring of 1848, he purchased his present farm adjoining the city, where he owns seventy-six acres of land. He was married Feb. 17, 1845, to Miss Sarah Weis, a native of Germany and has eight children - Joseph E., now in business in Joliet, Charles, Oswell J., Frank E., William, Sarah, Josephine and Annie.[Source: "The History of Will County, Illinois..."; Wm. LeBaron, Jr., & Co., 1878. Tr. by K. Mohler]

Froehner, Jacob
JACOB FROEHNER, farmer and stock-raiser; P.O. Monee; one of our early settlers; was born in Germany; came to the United States in 1852, and to this State, and settled in Will Co. in the same year; his farm consists of eighty acres, valued at $4,000. He was married to Miss Eliza Briedert, who was born in Germany; they have seven children, viz., Christina, Katie, John, Philipp, Margaret, George and Anna. Mr. F., for the past six years, has held the office of Treasurer of the Board of Road Commissioners.[Source: "The History of Will County, Illinois..."; Wm. LeBaron, Jr., & Co., 1878. Tr. by K. Mohler]

Fry, David
DAVID FRY, farmer; P.O. Plainfield; was born in Wayne Co., Ohio, Dec. 7, 1850, and is the son of Jacob and Catherine (Grill) Fry, who emigrated from Pennsylvania to Ohio in 1841, then, in 1854, to Wheatland Tp., Will Co., Ill.; Mr. Fry was brought up on his father's farm, and has farmed it through life. He was married Dec. 19, 1872, to Miss Mariah Bopp; she was born in York Co., Penn., June 27, 1857, and is the daughter of William Bopp, who was born in Saxony, Germany, in July, 1821, and Catherine (Ganserd) Bopp, born in Baden, Germany, in 1828; they emigrated to America in 1852; came to Illinois in 1864. Mr. Fry is a member of the German Lutheran Church, of which Church his father, Jacob, is one of the first members. Have three children.[Source: "The History of Will County, Illinois..."; Wm. LeBaron, Jr., & Co., 1878. Tr. by K. Mohler]

Fry, Jacob
JACOB FRY, farmer; P.O. Plainfield; the subject of this sketch is one of the successful farmers of Wheatland Tp.; was born in Lancaster Co., Penn., March 9, 1816, and is the son of Henry Fry, a farmer; Mr. Fry, when he was 12 years of age, was sent out and brought up among strangers, and remained in his native State until 1841; he then emigrated West to Ohio, and settled in Wayne Co.; here he was engaged at his trade, blacksmithing, and remained until 1854; then came to Will Co. and settled in Wheatland Tp.; here he has remained ever since, engaged in farming. He was married to Miss Catherine Grill, of Berks Co., Penn.; had four children; when he married, he was worth about $150 cash; he went to work at his trade, blacksmithing, saved a little money, and invested in land, the present farm, and, with hard labor, good management and industry, to-day owns 871 acres of fine, improved land, with improvements that rank among the first of Will Co.; Mr. Fry is one of the first members of the German Lutheran Church of Wheatland Township.[Source: "The History of Will County, Illinois..."; Wm. LeBaron, Jr., & Co., 1878. Tr. by K. Mohler]

Fryer, J.N.
J.N. FRYER, farm and loan agent, Sec. 17; P.O. Channahon; the subject of this sketch was born in Schodack Landing, Rensselaer Co., N.Y., July 11, 1818. He married Miss Charlotte Beardsley Oct. 1, 1849; she was born in Litchfield Co., Conn., Nov. 24, 1822; they had six children, five living, viz., Jennie J., Kittie L., Chauncey M., Lotta B. and Leonard S.; Albertine M. died. He lived in New York until 1834, when he came to Illinois and settled on his present farm, and lived at home until 1849, when he built his present house (the first regular frame built in this township) and has lived in same since; he was one of the Commissioners appointed to divide the county into townships; he has held the office of Justice of the Peace for twenty-five years, and School Director for fifteen years; he has been Town Collector and is now serving in his fourteenth term as Supervisor; he started in limited circumstances and now owns between three and four hundred acres in this township; his father died in Albany, N.Y.; his mother, Mrs. Sarah Schermerhorn Four, married Mr. M. Morehouse in 1832, and is now living on an adjoining farm.[Source: "The History of Will County, Illinois..."; Wm. LeBaron, Jr., & Co., 1878. Tr. by K. Mohler]

Gaines, A.L.

A.L. GAINES, Foreman George B. Norton's dry goods store, Lockport; was born in Castleton, Rutland Co., Vt., Sept. 11th, 1843; his boyhood days were passed in attendance upon the schools, and his early manhood years either as a student or teacher; about the age of 19, he entered Commercial College at New Haven, Conn., in which he completed a business course; in 1866, he came West and located in Morris, Grundy Co., Ill., where he engaged in the sale of dry goods; in February, 1873, he came to Lockport and entered the employ of George B. Norton as foreman in his dry goods establishment; a position he still holds. He was married Oct. 21, 1871, to Mary E. Allen, a native of Troy, N.Y.; has two children - Hallie H., born Dec. 11, 1872, and Lulu M., born Feb. 4, 1876.[Source: "The History of Will County, Illinois..."; Wm. LeBaron, Jr., & Co., 1878. Tr. by K. Mohler]

Gallagher, A
A GALLAGHER, hardware dealer; P.O. Spencer; was born in New Brunswick, Dominion of Canada, April 25, 1848; came to this State and settled in New Lenox in 1876, where he has since resided. He was married to Miss Jane Denny, who was born in Will Co., Ill., Jan. 4, 1848; they have had two children, viz.: Elsie May and Jennie M. Mr. G., besides his merchandising operations, owns and carries on a farm situated on Sec. 23, and valued at $3,000.[Source: "The History of Will County, Illinois..."; Wm. LeBaron, Jr., & Co., 1878. Tr. by K. Mohler]

Gardner, W.D.
W.D. GARDNER, steel-blower, Joliet; was born in Portage Co., Ohio, in 1847; his life was that of a farmer's son until he was 22 years of age; his father-in-law, A.S. Dunning, was for a number of years superintendent of the converting department of the Cleveland Rolling-Mills, and when in the employ of the same company in 1868 he came to Chicago. Mr. Gardner accompanied him, and engaged in the manufacture of steel for the Union Rolling-Mills Company; in December, 1872, his father-in-law took the same position in the works at Joliet, where he remained till 1877. Mr. Gardner came at the same time, and has remained ever since. He was married Dec. 27, 1868, to Anna E. Dunning, a native of Ohio; has one daughter - Emma. He is recognized as one well qualified for the very responsible position he occupies.[Source: "The History of Will County, Illinois..."; Wm. LeBaron, Jr., & Co., 1878. Tr. by K. Mohler]

Garnsey, C.B.
C.B. GARNSEY (Garnsey & Knox), attorney at law, Joliet; was born in Livingston Co., N.Y., Oct. 25, 1842; he was educated at the Genesee Wesleyan Seminary, and in 1859 came to Will Co., spending a year or more in Wilmington; in 1861, he entered the law department of the Chicago University, graduating July 1, 1862. On the 30th of the same month, he enlisted in Co. A, 100th Ill. V.I.; was soon afterward transferred to the non-commissioned staff as Commissary Sergeant of the regiment, and served as such during the war, being with his regiment from the time it left home, until its muster out in July, 1865, when he returned to Joliet, and entered upon the practice of his profession. He was appointed Master in Chancery in 1867, and served four years, resigning in 1871. He is at present Corporation Counsel for the city of Joliet, to which he was appointed Jan. 1, 1878. He was married in 1867 to Miss Mary A. Henderson, of Wilmington, Ill., and has two children.[Source: "The History of Will County, Illinois..."; Wm. LeBaron, Jr., & Co., 1878. Tr. by K. Mohler]

Gaskill, Joab
JOAB GASKILL, farmer, Sec. 29; P.O. Minooka; is a native of New Jersey; he was born July 6, 1805, and married Miss Emily Green in August, 1829; she was born in Columbiana Co., Ohio, in the year 1810, and died in February, 1855; they had six children, viz., W.G., F.J., L.H., J.J., Anna M. and Miletus B.; the latter enlisted in the 104th Ohio V.I.; was in service about nine months, and died from sickness at Covington, Ky. Mr. Gaskill came to this county in 1869, and settled on his present place. In 1871, Mr. L.H. Gaskill moved here and took charge of the farm; he was born in Columbiana Co., Ohio, March 4, 1834. He married Miss Cornelia Whittlesey Jan. 5, 1871; she was born in Clyde, Wayne Co., N.Y., Feb. 18, 1851; they have three children, viz., Emily A., Clara W. and Anna A. He lived in Ohio until he was 21, when he came to Illinois, and settled in Kendall Co. and engaged in farming. In 1862, he enlisted in the 127th I.V.I. as Orderly Sergeant; was in service until the close of the war, and took part in the battles of Vicksburg, Mission Ridge, the Atlanta campaign, etc. [Source: "The History of Will County, Illinois..."; Wm. LeBaron, Jr., & Co., 1878. Tr. by K. Mohler]

Gates, Henry
HENRY GATES, general merchandise, Peotone; born in Essex Co., N.Y., July 12, 1833; living there eight years, he removed to Orleans Co., Vt., where he lived and engaged in farming for a period of thirteen years; he emigrated to Illinois in 1854, and settled in Huykes' Grove, and engaged in farming in the summer and teaching school and carpentering in the winter for six years, when, in 1860, he went to Joliet and engaged in traveling, selling goods and collecting for six years; he then removed to Peotone, and engaged in buying and shipping stock to Chicago, and butchering for the home market for one year; then engaged in the painting business for two years, when he again resumed traveling, selling goods for two years; in 1871, he engaged in the general merchandise trade, which business he still continues. He married Oct. 31, 1860, Miss Eunice Goodspeed, daughter of Samuel Goodspeed; she was born in Will Co., Ill., May 5, 1840. They are the parents of three children, now living, viz., Florence L., Fred A. and Richard. Mr. Gates has been Justice of the Peace for four years and Town Clerk for six years. [Source: "The History of Will County, Illinois..."; Wm. LeBaron, Jr., & Co., 1878. Tr. by K. Mohler]

Gay, Freeman
FREEMAN GAY, farmer, Sec. 16; P.O. Joliet; the subject of this sketch was born in Kennebec (now Franklin) Co., Me., Aug. 9, 1817. He married Miss Agusta S. Gay; she was born at the same place Aug. 3, 1820; they have four children, viz., Leslie F., Elsie R., Ernest L. and Clementine M. He lived in Maine until he was 18; then went to Boston and learned the mason's trade; remained ten years; then, came West, and settled on Hickory Creek, Will Co., Ill.; this was in 1845; he then went near Wilmington, then back to Hickory Creek; then to Five-Mile Grove, and, in 1850, he went to California and remained four years, when he came to his present place and has lived ever since; he started in poor circumstances, and now owns 390 acres, which he has earned by his own labor.[Source: "The History of Will County, Illinois..."; Wm. LeBaron, Jr., & Co., 1878. Tr. by K. Mohler]

Gaylord, George
GEORGE GAYLORD, merchant and grain dealer, Lockport; was born Feb. 24, 1820, in Washington Co., N.Y.; he remained at home on the farm until 1839; when he went to Illinois, and stopped at Warrenville, Du Page Co., where he engaged in farm work; during the Winter of 1843-44, he taught school; in 1845 he commenced blacksmithing in Warrenville, and continued the business two years; in 1847, he came to Lockport, and engaged in the sale of dry goods, forming a copartnership with Dennis Smith, under the firm name of Gaylord & Smith; in the Fall of 1849, the firm was dissolved, Mr. Smith retiring; Mr. Gaylord conducted the business alone until 1853, when the present firm of Geo. Gaylord & Co., was formed. A.J. Ewen becoming a partner, in 1863, they built their large and commodious elevators, and commenced the handling of grain. He was married in May, 1846, to Ann A. Lull, a native of Vermont; has eight children - Henry G., Frankie A., Albin P., Willard, Edward L., Clarissa J., Laura E. and Robert. In 1868, he was chosen a member of the Legislature from the 43rd District, and was made Chairman of the Committee on Canals; the law authorizing the erection of a lock and dam across the Illinois River at Henry, and one establishing the rolling mills at Joliet, was passed during the session of which he was a member. Republican; Baptist.[Source: "The History of Will County, Illinois..."; Wm. LeBaron, Jr., & Co., 1878. Tr. by K. Mohler]

Geddes, John
JOHN GEDDES, City Meat Market, Lockport; was born in Watervliet, N.Y., April 18, 1831; at the age of 12 or 13, he came West to Illinois with the family; his father settled in Homer Tp., Will Co., and engaged in farming; he remained at home till 18 years of age, when he commenced the trade of carpenter and joiner; this he followed between two and three years; at the age of 21, he commenced boating on the I. & M. Canal, and was thus engaged three seasons; a portion of the time in the employ of a Mr. Fish, of Joliet, and afterward in the employ of D.C. Norton, of Lockport; about 1854, he opened his meat market in Lockport, and has been thus engaged ever since. He was married Dec. 24, 1850, to Martha R. Burdiek, a native of New York; has three daughters - Maria, Ada and Mary E. Owns twenty-two acres, adjoining the town, and a block of lots, together with a fine residence; his is the oldest established meat market in the town; his social qualities are excellent, and he has a host of friends.[Source: "The History of Will County, Illinois..."; Wm. LeBaron, Jr., & Co., 1878. Tr. by K. Mohler]

Gibler, Seth
SETH GIBLER, farmer, Sec. 10; P.O. Joliet; was born in Scioto Co., Ohio, April 2, 1839. He married Miss Mary Brown Feb. 11, 1862; she was born in this township Feb. 11, 1842; they have two children, viz., Bertram W. and Oscar. He lived in Ohio about fourteen years, when he came to Will Co., Ill., and lived with Mr. Gabriel Noel until he was 21; he then engaged in farming, in company with Mr. W.Z. Brown, for two years, when, on being married, he came to his present place; this was in the spring of 1863. He has been Assessor some three years. He owns 135 acres in this county. His mother died in Ohio; his father, Morgan Gibler, lives in Piatt Co., this State.[Source: "The History of Will County, Illinois..."; Wm. LeBaron, Jr., & Co., 1878. Tr. by K. Mohler]

Giffin, J.E.
J.E. GIFFIN, farmer; P.O. Lockport; was born in Cumberland Co., Penn., near Carlisle, Aug. 7, 1814; in 1833, he came to Montgomery Co., Ohio, and remained two or three years; he next stopped at Oxford, Ohio, a short time; he spent the winter of 1842, at the rapids of Rock River, in Whiteside Co., Ill., engaged in feeding sheep; in the spring of 1843, he purchased a large drove of sheep and brought them to Oswego, and there laid a claim of eighty acres, which he afterward entered and improved. He was married March 11, 1847, to Cynthia C. Rodgers, a native of Ashtabula, Ohio; she was born Feb. 2, 1828, and came West with the family in 1832. In the Fall of 1850, he settled where he now lives, and opened up his farm. They have had six children born to them - Almira E., Martha I., Elliott R., Mary H., John E. and Cynthia A.; of those, John E., died March 17, 1862. Owns eighty acres, valued at $5,600. Mrs. Giffin remembers the days of the small beginnings of Joliet, Lockport, Plainfield and other surrounding villages; she has lived to see the wild, unbroken prairie converted into fertile farms, and thickly studded with fine residences; vast areas, which, in her girlhood days, yielded naught by wild grass and countless flowers of sweetest perfume, now teeming with the rich golden harvest.[Source: "The History of Will County, Illinois..."; Wm. LeBaron, Jr., & Co., 1878. Tr. by K. Mohler]

Gifford, Edson
EDSON GIFFORD, of the firm of E. Gifford & Son, general merchandise, Elwood; the subject of this sketch was born in Washington Co., N.Y., Feb. 10, 1820. He married Miss Lydia Whipple; she was born in New York; they have had five children, two living; his wife died while in Grundy Co. His present wife was Miss Harriet Kendall, who was the first child born in a frame house in Big Grove Tp., Kendall Co., Ill.; in 1846, he left New York, and came to Grundy Co., Ill., and engaged in farming; then went to Kendall Co., and engaged in general merchandise; then to Morris, engaging in general merchandise, and, in 1872, he came to Will Co., and settled in Elwood, where he engaged in his present business, and has continued here since.[Source: "The History of Will County, Illinois..."; Wm. LeBaron, Jr., & Co., 1878. Tr. by K. Mohler]

Gifford, W.W.
W.W. GIFFORD, of the firm of E. Gifford & Son, general merchandise, Elwood; the subject of this sketch was born in Chautauqua Co., N.Y., March 4, 1844. He married Miss Lydia Bryan Sept. 24, 1867; she was born in Stark Co., Ill., May 12, 1845; they have two children, viz., Edson B. and M. Estella. He lived in New York three years, when, with his parents, he moved to Grundy Co., Ill., where they remained until 1855, and then they moved to Kendall Co., where they remained until 1872, when they came to Will Co., Ill., and settled in Elwood and engaged in their present business. In 1861, he enlisted in the 36th I.V.I.; was in the service two years and four months; was in the battles of Pea Ridge, Perryville, Stone River and Chickamauga; at the latter place, he was wounded and disabled from further service. He has held the offices of Town Clerk, and Village Clerk, Trustee and Treasurer.[Source: "The History of Will County, Illinois..."; Wm. LeBaron, Jr., & Co., 1878. Tr. by K. Mohler]

Gilkerson, C.H.
C.H. GILKERSON, dealer in grain, lumber, lime, coal, cement, stone and drain tile, of the firm of Warden & Gilkerson, Peotone; born in Caledonia Co., Vt., Sept. 20, 1848; emigrating West with his parents in 1854, they settled in Cass Co., Ill., then to Huykes' Grove, Will Co., where they lived and followed farming for a period of eleven years; in 1865, he removed to Peotone, and then, after attending the Monmouth Academy two years, he attended Bryant & Stratton's Commercial College in Chicago; then returning to Peotone, in 1871, he purchased his father's interest in the above business, which he has since followed. The firm of Warden & Gilkerson, of which he is a member, do a large business, buying and shipping grain to Chicago and Eastern markets; they also supply all the lumber for Peotone and the surrounding country. He married June 18, 1872, Julia Sultzbaugh; she was born in Pennsylvania Dec. 3, 1854. They are the parents of three children, viz., Eda A., Susan M. and Phillip H. [Source: "The History of Will County, Illinois..."; Wm. LeBaron, Jr., & Co., 1878. Tr. by K. Mohler]

Gillett, Isaac M. Jr.
ISAAC M. GILLETT, JR., farmer and stock, Sec. 36; P.O. Spencer; was born in Wayne Co., N.Y., Oct. 6, 1850; he lived in New York about six years; then with his parents came West and settled in Homer Tp., Will Co.; he remained here on the farm about sixteen years when he came to his present place and has remained here since; the place belongs to his father, and contains 300 acres, 240 of which are located on Sec. 1, in Manhattan Tp., and is principally devoted to stock-raising; he makes a specialty of pure Suffolk swine. See advertisement.[Source: "The History of Will County, Illinois..."; Wm. LeBaron, Jr., & Co., 1878. Tr. by K. Mohler]

Glidden, Stephen
STEPHEN GLIDDEN, farming and stock; P.O. Channahon; the subject of this sketch was born in New Hampshire, Sept. 15, 1820. He married Miss Mary L. Barnet, July 4, 1849; she was born in New York; they had eleven children, five living, viz., Pernelia, Sarah J., Melissa, Ella and Harvey O. His parents left New Hampshire when he was six months old, and moved to New York, where he lived twenty-seven years; he then came to Illinois and remained one year; he then returned to New York and married, and then came to Will Co. and settled in this township; he came here in poor circumstances and now owns 1,036 acres in this township, all of which he has earned by his own labor and management.[Source: "The History of Will County, Illinois..."; Wm. LeBaron, Jr., & Co., 1878. Tr. by K. Mohler]

Godfrey, Austin
AUSTIN GODFREY, farmer; P.O. Lemont; was born in Erie Co., N.Y., Aug. 31, 1822; he is the son of Henry and Kansas (Warren) Godfrey; his father came West to Illinois in the fall of 1833, and stopped a short time in Chicago; after a sojourn of two months on the Des Plaines, west of Chicago, he came into what is now Du Page Co., and settled in the timber on the Des Plaines, pre-empting one-half section of land, part of which lies in Du Page, and the remainder in Will Co.; here he lived until his decease, in 1850. Austin remained at home, attending, with his brother, to the business of the farm, after attaining to manhood. He was married Dec. 25, 1847, to Lorenia Warren, a native of New York State; she died Nov. 27, 1853. His second marriage, to Lucy Denton, occurred Dec. 24, 1857; she is a native of Lower Canada. From first wedlock, two children - Emma A. (now wife of G.W. Potter), and William H., deceased; from second marriage, seven - Herbert A., Howard D., Abbie C., Carrie M., Arthur M., Guy R. and Roy S. Owns 675 acres of finely improved land, valued at $40,000; has held the offices of Supervisor and Road Commissioner for the past fifteen years; he has kept from 60 to 70 milch cows, and for the most part ships his dairying to Chicago. Mr. Godfrey stands well to the front rank among the farmers of his section.[Source: The History of Will County, Illinois …Wm. LeBaron, Jr., & Co., 1878. Tr. by K. Mohler]

Goodenow, Frank J.
FRANK J. GOODENOW, station agent and Postmaster, Goodenow; the subject of this sketch was born in Crete Tp., Will Co., Ill., June 15, 1848, and is the son of George W. Goodenow, of New York, who is one of the old settlers of Illinois, having made his home here in 1838. Mr. Frank J. was appointed Postmaster and Station Agent in 1870; these offices he still fills; is in partnership with his father in the grocery business; they also are engaged very largely in the hay-press business; have handled as high as 1,000 tons of hay in one year. Married in 1875 Miss Alice Hunt, of Sheronville, Hamilton Co., Ohio, by whom he has one child. [Source: "The History of Will County, Illinois..."; Wm. LeBaron, Jr., & Co., 1878. Tr. by K. Mohler]

Goodenow, George W.
GEORGE W. GOODENOW, grocer; P.O. Goodenow; the subject of this sketch is one of the best known men of Crete Tp.; was born in Oneida Co., N.Y., April 1, 1824, and is the son of Franklin and Betsy (Smith) Goodenow, of New York; his father was a farmer; in 1835, with his parents, emigrated West to Indiana, and settled in La Grange Co.; here they remained until 1838; they then moved to Illinois and settled in Thorn Grove on 160 acres of Government land, $1.25 per acre; here they commenced farming in a small way, being very poor; Mr. Goodenow has been very successful since he came to Illinois; had accumulated at one time 1,840 acres of land; laid out the present village of Goodenow; in 1870, here, with his son Frank, started a store; also in the hay-press business, which business they have been engaged in ever since; Mr. Goodenow's father died in 1870 at 70 years of age. Married twice; first wife, Annie Batchelor, of Bennington Co., Vt., died in 1859; married second wife, Mary Wiggins, of Cortland Co., N.Y.; eight children, six living. [Source: "The History of Will County, Illinois..."; Wm. LeBaron, Jr., & Co., 1878. Tr. by K. Mohler]

Gooding, George
GEORGE GOODING, farmer; P.O. Wilmington; was born in Ontario Co., N.Y., Oct. 18, 1802, and is the son of George and N. (Wilder) Gooding; father was a farmer, and was a soldier of the war of 1812. Mr. Gooding was raised on his father's farm, and remained East until 1856; he has obtained while in his native State a fortune, but going the securities of others he failed; he then, in 1856, came West with a borrowed capital invested in the present farm; first purchased 280 acres of land, at $20 per acre; here he set out farming and stock-raising; has been very successful; to-day owns 900 acres of fine improved land. He married Jan. 25, 1826, to Miss Achsah Reed, born in Hartland, Conn., July 31, 1801; six children.[Source: "The History of Will County, Illinois..."; Wm. LeBaron, Jr., & Co., 1878. Tr. by K. Mohler]

Goodrich, L.H.
L.H. GOODRICH, merchant, Braidwood; the subject of this sketch is probably one of the best known and highly regarded business men of Will Co.; was born in Chenango Co., N.Y., July 26, 1834, and is the son of Elozur Goodrich, of Connecticut, and Hannah (Way) Goodrich, of New York; his father was a carpenter and joiner by trade, living on a farm; here Mr. Goodrich spent his childhood and early youth, working on the farm from the time he was able to handle the plow, and in winter gathering instruction from the district schools; at 17, he commenced teaching school and has taught twenty-one terms in New York and Illinois. In the fall of 1855, he came West and made his home in Grundy Co., Ill.; here and in other parts of the State he was engaged in teaching school; also in the fruit business. In 1860, he married Miss Annie J. Wheeler, of Pennsylvania. After marrying, he taught school about one year; he then purchased a farm in Grundy Co. and commenced farming, and continued in this business for eight years; then to Gardner, Ill., and was Superintendent of a coal shaft for six years. While Mr. Goodrich was in Grundy Co., he held several offices of public trust; was Justice of the Peace eight years, and Supervisor six years. In 18__, he came to Braidwood and entered the mercantile business, which business he has followed ever since. Mr. Goodrich took a very active part in getting the city of Braidwood incorporated, and was elected the first Mayor of the city in 1873, and re-elected to same office. In 1875, he was nominated by the Republican party for Representative of the 15th District, and was elected to same office, and in 1876, was re-elected; during his time in public office, from his office as Justice of the Peace in Grundy Co., to a Representative of the 15th District, he has given entire satisfaction, having proven himself a gentleman of acknowledged ability, whose duties have been performed in a faithful manner. Mr. Goodrich is a Republican in politics and a member of the M.E. Church, which Church he has been a prominent member for the past fifteen years; is Superintendent of the Sunday school. Mr. Goodrich ranks as one of the successful business men of Will Co.[Source: "The History of Will County, Illinois..."; Wm. LeBaron, Jr., & Co., 1878. Tr. by K. Mohler]

Goodspeed, James
JAMES GOODSPEED, publisher and proprietor of the Joliet Republican, Joliet; was born in Tioga Co., Penn., Dec. 3, 1836; he came to Joliet in 1859; he was educated at Alfred University, N.Y., and after leaving college entered the law office of Goodspeed & McRobert in Joliet; he was admitted to the bar in 1861, and continued in practice until 1869, when he purchased the Joliet Republican, which he has continued to publish to the present time. The Republican is the oldest Republican newspaper in the Seventh Congressional District, and has a larger circulation than any other paper published in the district; it is issued both as a weekly and semi-weekly, and has a circulation of fully 1,800. Mr. Goodspeed was appointed Postmaster in 1871, and still holds the office.[Source: "The History of Will County, Illinois..."; Wm. LeBaron, Jr., & Co., 1878. Tr. by K. Mohler]

Goodspeed, Samuel
SAMUEL GOODSPEED, farmer, Sec. 30; P.O. Peotone; born in Troy, N.Y., Feb. 21, 1812; he removed with his parents to Tioga Co., Penn., when 4 years of age; here he lived until 22 years of age, working upon a farm in summer and attending school in winter; he emigrated West in 1835, and located upon Fox River near Oswego for one year; then to Plainfield, Will Co., where he lived eighteen years; he located upon his present place in 1855; he owns 320 acres of well-improved land, with good buildings, valued at $16,000, which he has accumulated by his own hard labor and industry. He married May 24, 1835, to Caroline B. Clark; she was born in New York April 5, 1817. They had by this union six children, viz., John, Phoebe, Eunice, Emily, George and Henry. Mrs. G. died Feb. 23, 1847; Mr. G.'s second wife was Sarah M. Messenger, married January, 1848; she was born in Ohio Aug. 8, 1825. They had six children by this union, viz., Francis, Caroline, Edward, William, Harriet and Samuel. Mrs. G. died July 25, 1869. He married for his third wife Mrs. Harriet Bryan Nov. 20, 1869; she was born in New York Aug. 13, 1820. Mr. Goodspeed has held the office of School Trustee for upward of fourteen years and Supervisor for four years. [Source: "The History of Will County, Illinois..."; Wm. LeBaron, Jr., & Co., 1878. Tr. by K. Mohler]

Goodwin, William
WILLIAM GOODWIN, deceased; this gentleman was one among the first settlers of Will Co., Ill.; was born in Watertown, N.Y., June 8, 1815, on his father's farm; was a millwright by trade. In 1832, he emigrated West to Illinois, and settled in Joliet; here he helped build the first house; also helped build a distillery; here he worked, and having saved sufficient money, he came to Wesley Tp., and purchased a farm, and commenced farming; this was about 1844; here he remained until 1850; that year he went to California, and remained there until 1852, engaged in gold mining with very good success; he then returned to his farm in Wesley Tp. He first married Rebecca Althouse, deceased; he then married Mrs. Sarah Budlong in 1870, wife of the late Hamilton Budlong, who died in 1868, daughter of Benjamin and Betsey (Lawton) Butterfield, who emigrated West to Will Co. in 1844; father died in 1864, at 66 years of age; mother died in 1877, at 79 years of age. Mr. Goodwin came West financially a poor boy, but, with hard labor and good management, before his death he ranked as one of the successful farmers of Will Co.; he was entirely blind five years before his death; he died June 18, 1877. Thus passed away one of the old settlers of Will Co., honored and respected by all, leaving a wife and seven children to mourn his loss - Elizabeth, wife of Hazard Jones; Hiram, in Colorado; Dolly, wife of William Cramer, of Missouri; Irwin, in Idaho; John, William and Phillip; farm contains about 670 acres of land with fine improvements.[Source: "The History of Will County, Illinois..."; Wm. LeBaron, Jr., & Co., 1878. Tr. by K. Mohler]

Gotts, Samuel
SAMUEL GOTTS (deceased), farmer; was born in Norfolk, Eng., Jan. 19, 1819; he came to America at the age of 14; he first settled in the State of New York, and afterward in Canada; he came to this county in 1852, and lived here up to the time of his decease, May 2, 1878; he came to his present farm in the spring of 1855, where his widow now resides, containing eighty acres. He married Mrs. Hannah Luther in Joliet Aug. 15, 1850; she was born in Franklin Co., Mass., April 18, 1827; she has six children - Lydia Luther (by first husband), born Aug. 23, 1848; by second husband - Isabella, born Feb. 9, 1856; Sarah, born Dec. 5, 1858; Alonzo, born Jan. 9, 1863; William, born Nov. 13, 1868, and Charles, born June 17, 1872. [Source: "The History of Will County, Illinois: Containing a History of the County ..." by Wm. LeBaron, Jr., & Co., 1878. Tr. by K. Mohler]

Goudy, Robert
ROBERT GOUDY, farmer; P.O. Du Page; was born in Essex Co., N.Y., Jan. 2, 1822; in the fall of 1843, he came West to Illinois, and settled in Du Page Tp., Will Co., and engaged in farm labor; in 1850, he moved to the I. & M. Canal, and attended lock, two and one-half miles north of Lockport, two years; he next engaged in running a boat, two years, for Norton & Co., and again returned to the lock, remaining five years; in 1859, he purchased one-quarter section of land in Du Page Tp.; this he improved and occupied in 1861; he purchased where he now lives, in the winter of 1867. He was married Oct. 15, 1848, to Ophelia Welch, a native of Ohio; two sons, William H. and Charles R., and two daughters, Mary and Julia, have been born to them; of these, only one, Julia, is living. Owns 100 acres of land, well improved, and worth $7,000. At an early age, he learned the blacksmith's trade, but not having a fancy for the business he abandoned it for farming; has held the offices of School Director, School Trustee, and is at present Commissioner of Highways, his tenure of office extending over a period six and one-half years.[Source: The History of Will County, Illinois …Wm. LeBaron, Jr., & Co., 1878. Tr. by K. Mohler]

Gougar, J.E.
J.E. GOUGAR, farmer and dairyman; P.O. Joliet; was born in New Lenox, Will Co., March 21, 1834; excepting the time spent in receiving his education at Beloit, Wis., and Joliet, Ill., he has been a permanent resident in New Lenox. He was married to Miss Hattie Perkins Nov. 24, 1864; she was born in Grundy Co., Ill., Dec. 28, 1841; they have had four children, two of whom are living, viz.: Charles P. and Hattie May; deceased - Ella and Florence. Mr. Gougar has followed the pursuits of a farmer from boyhood; he now owns 160 acres of land, valued at $10,000. He has also held the office of Assessor three terms, and Township Collector several years.[Source: "The History of Will County, Illinois..."; Wm. LeBaron, Jr., & Co., 1878. Tr. by K. Mohler]

Gougar, John
JOHN GOUGAR, farmer and stock-raiser; P.O. Joliet; one of our very early settlers; was born in Montour Co., Penn., March 20, 1810; he removed with his father's family to Ohio when he was 8 years old, and from there to Indiana when he was in his 12th year; he remained there but a short time, when he came to this State and settled where he now resides in New Lenox; at the time of his arrival, the surrounding country was all embraced in Cook Co., and what is now the township of New Lenox did not then have a name; he arrived here Sept. 10, 1830, at which time there was but one building in Chicago, which was then used as a French trading post, and was situated on the west side of the river; Mr. Gougar has now spent forty-eight years in this county, during which time his occupation has been that of a farmer and stock-raiser; his present farm contains 340 acres, valued at $20,400. He was married in this State Jan. 2, 1849, to Miss Mary A. Miller, who was born in Pennsylvania May 21, 1813; they have had one child, viz.: Lewis, born Nov. 10, 1852.[Source: "The History of Will County, Illinois..."; Wm. LeBaron, Jr., & Co., 1878. Tr. by K. Mohler]

Gougar, Mrs. N.
MRS. N. GOUGAR, farming and dairy; P.O. New Lenox; was born in Knox Co., Ohio, Jan. 3, 1823, and is the widow of the late Nicholas Gougar, who was born in Montour Co., Penn., Oct. 30, 1813, and who died Jan. 12, 1878; they were married April 9, 1851; have two adopted children, viz.: Lydia and Eugene. Mrs. G. came to this State from Ohio in 1850, and settled with her parents in New Lenox. Her farm contains 135 acres, valued at $10,000.[Source: "The History of Will County, Illinois..."; Wm. LeBaron, Jr., & Co., 1878. Tr. by K. Mohler]

Gould, Hiram
HIRAM GOULD, farmer; P.O. Wilmington; was born in New York, Dec. 25, 1827; son of James and Lydia (Goodwin) Gould. James Gould, with wife and five children, came west, and settled in Ohio; here they remained about seven years engaged in farming; they then moved to Illinois, and settled in Wesley Tp., in 1844; here he first purchased 120 acres of land; he died Aug. 29, 1876, at 76 years of age, leaving wife and eleven children; his wife (Lydia Gould) died in 1878, at 71 or 72 years of age. Mr. Hiram Gould was married in 1855 to Miss Elizabeth Binney, daughter of Richard Binney, who was among the early settlers of Wesley Tp.; came here about 1841 or 1842. Mr. Gould, in 1849, went to California; engaged in gold-mining; was very successful; returned home in 1851; three children - two boys and one girl; he was a resident of Wilmington, but principally has been engaged in farming throughout life.[Source: "The History of Will County, Illinois..."; Wm. LeBaron, Jr., & Co., 1878. Tr. by K. Mohler]

Gougar, William
WILLIAM GOUGAR, farmer and stock-raiser; P.O. New Lenox; was born in Pickaway Co., Ohio, Aug. 24, 1818; came to this State with his father's family in 1831; has been a farmer and stock-raiser from boyhood; his present farm consists of 372 acres of land, valued at $22,000, situated on Sec. 20, in New Lenox Tp., and on Sec. 20 in Joliet. He was married Dec. 29, 1859, to Miss Clarissa Hawkins, who was born in Kankakee Co., Ill., Feb. 19, 1839; they have had four children, three of whom are living - William, Nellie and Frank; deceased, Hester. Mr. Gougar participated in the Black Hawk war, which is fully described by him in the general history of the township.[Source: "The History of Will County, Illinois..."; Wm. LeBaron, Jr., & Co., 1878. Tr. by K. Mohler]

Green, Albert H.
ALBERT H. GREEN, foreman of the shoe department of the Illinois State Penitentiary, Joliet; born March 10, 1855, in Brooklyn, N.Y., where he lived until the year 1869, when he came West and engaged in the shoe business at Marshalltown, Iowa, for one year; then returning to New York in 1870, where he remained six years, he again engaged in the manufacture of shoes; he emigrated West and to Joliet in 1876, where he has continued to work at the shoe business until the present time; has been foreman of the treeing, packing and shipping department since March, 1877. He married Aug. 2, 1877, to Miss Allie Vanderhoff, daughter of Levi Vanderhoff, of Joliet; they are the parents of one daughter, born Sept. 18, 1878.[Source: "The History of Will County, Illinois..."; Wm. LeBaron, Jr., & Co., 1878. Tr. by K. Mohler]

Green, John
JOHN GREEN, superintendent of the shoe department at the Illinois State Prison, Joliet; born in London, Eng., Dec. 27 ____, educated at the Clifton boarding school, Northamptonshire; served two years as assistant commercial traveler in London and vicinity; in 1844, came to Brooklyn, N.Y., and learned the shoe business in all its details; he then visited England, and, upon returning, traveled through the Eastern States, and worked in some of the Eastern factories. In 1852, he married Miss Margaret Ann Granger, of Brooklyn, N.Y., and traveled one year through the Eastern States as salesman, returning then to the shoe manufacture as foreman of a fashionable custom business; then traveled again three years as a salesman, when he again returned to factory life, first as cutter, then as foreman and superintendent, in which capacity he is now engaged, and has been for the past twenty years. His first wife died in 1870, leaving five children - Albert H. (now foreman in the shoe department, who married Miss Allie Vanderhoff, of Joliet, and has one daughter - Carrie H., now Mrs. William Henderson, of Brooklyn, N.Y.), Ida E., William and John (who died in 1871). In 1872, Mr. G. married Miss Harriet A. Bazin, daughter of John H. Bazin, Esq., and removed to Joliet in 1874 with his family, excepting Carrie. The factory under his direction was the first ever started to make exclusively fine shoes with convict labor. Mr. Green has been a frequent contributor to the shoe trade journals of the country for many years, in 1872, furnishing one hundred and eighty columns, many of the articles being republished in the trade journals of England, France and Germany.[Source: "The History of Will County, Illinois..."; Wm. LeBaron, Jr., & Co., 1878. Tr. by K. Mohler]

Greenwood, John
JOHN GREENWOOD, farmer, Sec. 25; P.O. Joliet; born in Herefordshire, England, Sept. 29, 1813; came to this country when 18 years of age, living in New York State eight years, following farming; removed to Will Co., Ill., in 1840, where he has continued the occupation of farming; he owns 240 acres of land, worth $60 per acre. Married Mary Ann Brown, of New York State, June 1, 1836; they had thirteen children by this union - George, born Aug. 5, 1838; Mary, May 11, 1840; John W., June 27, 1842, deceased; Harvey B., Dec. 26, 1844, deceased; William, Nov. 27, 1846; Jane, April 11, 1848, deceased; Llewellyn, November, 1850, deceased; Bennett, Oct. 23, 1852, deceased; Sarah, April 11, 1854, deceased; John Fletcher, Sept. 2, 1856, deceased; and three children who died in infancy. Mrs. Greenwood died Aug. 27, 1874. Mr. Greenwood married for his second wife Sarah A. Houston on Jan. 23, 1875; she was born in Huron Co., Ohio; they have one child by this union - Charles Albert, born April 7, 1877. Mr. Greenwood has held the office of School Director for more than twenty years.[Source: "The History of Will County, Illinois..."; Wm. LeBaron, Jr., & Co., 1878. Tr. by K. Mohler]

Grill, Samuel
SAMUEL GRILL, farmer; P.O. Plainfield; was born in Berks Co., Penn., 1820, and is the son of Samuel and Hannah Grill, of Pennsylvania; his father was a farmer; Mr. Grill was brought up on his father's farm; in 1841, he moved to Wayne Co., Ohio; here he was engaged in farming, and remained there until he came to Will Co., Ill., in 1854, and settled on the farm he now owns; when he first came here, he was worth about $3,000; he invested in land, and to-day is one of the successful farmers of Will Co.; owns 404 acres of fine, improved land. Married Miss L. Dague, by whom he has had eleven children, eight living.[Source: "The History of Will County, Illinois..."; Wm. LeBaron, Jr., & Co., 1878. Tr. by K. Mohler]

Grinton, Wm. Jr.
WM. GRINTON, JR., real estate and loans, Joliet; was born in the Province of Ontario March 17, 1844, but came to Plainfield, Will Co., with his parents when less than a year old, and, therefore, can almost be said to be a native of Will Co.; his is a son of William Grinton, a prominent citizen of the county, the founder of the village of Grinton, in Troy Tp., and the builder of the Grinton Mill, one of the old landmarks. Mr. Grinton came to Joliet in 1853; was educated in the public schools of the city and at the Lake Forest Academy, Ill., and after leaving school followed the grocery business in Joliet for two years; he afterward spent a short time in the commission business in St. Louis; he was also engaged for two years in the grocery business in Morris, Ill., returning in 1868 to Joliet, and engaging in his present business; on the organization of the Stone City Bank he became Cashier, and held that position the first two years. He was married March 24, 1864, to Miss Anna Stevens, daughter of the late Robert Stevens, one of the early settlers of Will Co.; their children are Robert W., Anna L., Jessie and Grace.[Source: "The History of Will County, Illinois..."; Wm. LeBaron, Jr., & Co., 1878. Tr. by K. Mohler]

Gronow, Henry
HENRY GRONOW, farmer and stock-raiser; P.O. Frankfort Station; one of our natives of Illinois; was born in Frankfort, Will Co., April 16, 1850; he is the son of John Gronow, who is one of our early settlers. The farm of Mr. G. consists of 130 acres, valued at $6,500. He was married to Miss Sophia Pauling Feb. 11, 1877, who was born in Du Page Co., Ill., Sept. 23, 1851; they have one child - Aurelia.[Source: "The History of Will County, Illinois..."; Wm. LeBaron, Jr., & Co., 1878. Tr. by K. Mohler]

Gross, Alexander
ALEXANDER GROSS, general superintendent of the stone-cutting department Illinois State Penitentiary, Joliet; born in Baden, Germany, Jan. 26, 1834, where he lived until 20 years of age, learning and working at the trade of stone-cutting in his father's quarries; he emigrated to America in 1854, landing in New York July 26, and came to Chicago the following September, engaging at his trade for two months, when he went to Macon Co. and worked at farming for four months; returning to Chicago, he again engaged at his trade until the panic of 1857, when he came to Joliet, and after working one year as foreman of the stone cutting department of the Illinois State Penitentiary, he was appointed general superintendent, in 1858, which position he has filled with credit since that date, a period of twenty years. Mr. Gross married in February, 1868, Margaret Vebel; she was born in Prussia; they are the parents of five children, three living, viz., Laura, Theodore, Rosetta; the deceased are Albert and Amelia.[Source: "The History of Will County, Illinois..."; Wm. LeBaron, Jr., & Co., 1878. Tr. by K. Mohler]

Gurney, G.F.
G.F. GURNEY, farmer, Sec. 36; P.O. Elwood; the subject of this sketch was born in Gloucestershire, England, July 2, 1832. He married Miss Eliza Brighton Feb. 26, 1857; she was born in Liverpool, England, April 12, 1837; she went to Scotland when young, and lived there until she was 17, when she came to the United States; they had eight children - seven living, viz., Francis R., Elsie A., Elmer G., James A., Eliza M., Nellie J. and Otto H. He lived in England until 1844, when he came to the United States and settled in Joliet, Ill.; engaged in laboring on the farm; remained one year; then to Channahon Tp., where he remained one year; he then went to Grundy Co., remaining one year, and went to Wilmington, Will Co., where he remained two years; then to Channahon, remaining several years; then to Florence; then to Wilton; and, in 1867, he settled on his present place; he started without any capital, and now owns over 500 acres in this county.[Source: "The History of Will County, Illinois..."; Wm. LeBaron, Jr., & Co., 1878. Tr. by K. Mohler]

Gurney, Richard H.
RICHARD H. GURNEY, livery, Wilmington; born in Gloucestershire, England, Feb. 9, 1837; came to the United States with his father's family, locating at Joliet, this county, in 1844; after a residence in Channahon Tp. for several years, he removed to Wilmington, his present home, in 1863, and engaged in his present business; owns 720 acres of farm and coal lands, valued at $30,000, and city property valued at $10,000; was a member of City Council in 1869 and 1870; member of Wilmington Lodge, No. 208, A.F. & A.M.; Mr. Gurney is giving considerable attention to the breeding of Norman grades of horses, and also extensively engaged in raising cattle for Chicago and other markets.[Source: "The History of Will County, Illinois..."; Wm. LeBaron, Jr., & Co., 1878. Tr. by K. Mohler]


 

BACK -- HOME

©Genealogy Trails