Winnebago County, Illinois
Almost any of us whose lives were touched by Ralph H. Brigham's music would have said that his place in our community life had been established over a much longer period than the 30 years he actually spent here--less than half of his life. To most of us, he seemed an integral part of Rockford. He played for weddings and funerals; for ritual and commemorative services; for services of worship. His music was part of our common experience of joy and sadness; of fellowship and reverence. It never occurred to any of us, we think, that he should retire from his active musical career, any more than it occurred to him. When he died Thursday morning, his 71st birthday was only a little more than two weeks away. The day before his death, he played the organ in Talcott chapel for Rockford college's first formal convocation of the new college year. Music, and particulary organ music, as his vocation and his avocation. Early last year, he celebrated his silver anniversary as organist of Second church. He was proud of that church's expansion and renovation; he was proud of the magnificent new organ that was dedicated there not so long ago; he was happy in having a part in serving a large and growing family of worshippers. With unflagging energy, he continued his musical work not only at Second Congregational church, but also at Temple Beth El, for Tebala Shrine and the Elks club, and as staff organist of the Burpee-Wood funeral home. His spirit remained young; his love of music deepened. He had begun his professional career as a 15-year-old boy, when he had taken a job as a church organist in Amherst, in his native Massachusetts. Later, he was a theater organist. In his lifetime, he saw as much change in opportunities for professional musicians as came about in his chosen instrument itself. He saw theater organs dismantled, and theater musicians drift to other fields; but he also saw the introduction and development of the movable electric organ. And he knew that although instruments change and musical opportunities and habits change, man's need of music persists. A true musician, Ralph Brigham spent more than half a century meeting that need. He was singularly blessed in being able to keep on providing music for us until a few hours before his death. And we were singularly blessed in having with us for three decades a man so eager to speak to us in the great phrases of the wordless universal language. [--Rockford Morning Star, 09-25-1954]
RUSSELL BROUGHTON. M. D. Was born in Racine, Wisconsin, May 16, 1842. His parents, John and Amanda Broughton, removed from Hoosick Falls, New York, by horse team, in 1841 , to Albany township, Green county, Wisconsin, where they entered a quarter section of government land. His father died upon the farm in 1896. His mother is still living. Dr. Broughton attended Milton College at Milton, Wisconsin, and Bryant & Stratton's Commercial College at Milwaukee. He graduated from Rush Medical College in 1869, and practiced medicine at Brodhead, Wisconsin, twenty-one years. He was in charge of all opium and other drug patients for nine and one- half years at the Keeley Institute, at Dwight, Illinois. Two years ago he opened a Sanitarium in Rockford, where he gives special treatment in nervous and drug cases. The Sanitarium is beautifully located , and is a quiet retreat for those desiring medical attention for such ailments. Socially, Dr. Broughton is a member of Bicknell Lodge No. 91, A. F. & A. M., Brodhead, Wisconsin; Evansville Chapter, No. 35, R. A. Masons, Evansville, Wisconsin; a charter member of the W. W. Patton Post No. 90, Brodhead, Wisconsin, a member of the Wisconsin Medical Society since 1877, and of the American Medical Association. He resides at the Sanitarium. Dr. Broughton was married to Miss Julia A., daughter of the late Hon. Daniel Smiley of Albany, Wisconsin, in 1869, and has two sons, William S., who is a medical student at Washington, D. C., and James R., in the employ of a large electrical power plant company at Provo, Utah. --Rockford Today, Historical, Descriptive, Biographical; Clark Company Press, 1903 [Dr. Broughton's Sanitarium]
BROWN, Mrs. Charlotte Emerson
President of the General Federation of Women's Literary Clubs, born in Andover, Mass., 21st April, 1838. She was the daughter of Professor Ralph Emerson, who was for twenty-five years professor of ecclesiastical history and pastoral theology in Andover Theological Seminary, in Massachusetts, and a relative of the philosopher, Ralph Waldo Emerson. Miss Emerson early showed a marked aptitude for linguistic learning. At the age of ten years she could read, write and speak French with facility. She was graduated while young from Abbott Seminary, and then began in earnest the acquirement of several other languages. For many years of her life she devoted from ten to twelve hours daily to intense study. After mastering the Latin grammar and reading carefully the first book of Virgil's AEneid, she translated the remaining eleven books in eleven consecutive week-days. Horace, Cicero and other classical authors were read with similar rapidity. She spent one year in the study of modern languages and music, and as teacher of Latin, French and mathematics in Montreal, with Miss Hannah Lyman, afterward the first woman to serve as principal of Vassar College. Subsequently she spent several years in studying music and languages in Germany, Austria, France, Italy, Greece, Turkey, Egypt and Syria. On her return from foreign study and travel Miss Emerson was able to speak, read and write at least a half-dozen foreign tongues almost as readily as she did her native English. On reaching her home in Rockford, Ill., whither her parents had removed, she felt the need of a more thorough business education, and at once entered a commercial college in Chicago, and was graduated after a term of six weeks. In order to complete her business knowledge and make it practical, she became for a time private secretary of her brother, Ralph Emerson, the well-known Rockford manufacturer. Subsequently she organized there two clubs that met regularly in her own house; one was a musical club, the Euterpe, and the other a French club, and both were extremely successful. She was at the same time teaching modern languages in Rockford Seminary. In 1879 she was married to Rev. William B. Brown, D.D., then of New York City. Soon after their marriage Dr. and Mrs. Brown went abroad for two or three years, and visited for study the chief art centers of Europe, passing in every country as natives. On their return to America they settled permanently in East Orange, N. J. Mrs. Brown was soon elected president of the Woman's Club of Orange, which greatly prospered under her leadership. She was also engaged in arranging plans of work for the Woman's Board of Missions and was active as a member of the advisory board for the organization and success of the General Federation of Women's Literary Clubs. At the organization convention, in the spring of 1890, Mrs. Brown was elected its first president. There were then fifty literary clubs in the federation. In less than two years that number had increased to over one-hundred-twenty, representing twenty-nine States and enrolling twenty-thousand of the intelligent, earnest women of the land. Mrs. Brown was greatly interested in the woman's club movement and gladly devoted her whole time to work for its advancement. She possessed unusual power of memory, mental concentration, energy and business ability, combined with such sweetness of disposition and deference for others as to make it easy for her to accomplish whatever she undertook.? She was enthusiastic and inspired others with her own magnetism. She combines the power of general plan with minute detail, and her motto was that what should be done at all should be done promptly and thoroughly. She was the author of many articles that have appeared in magazines and in other forms, mainly in the interests of whatever work she might at the time have had in hand. She carried on a very extensive correspondence and relied largely upon this agency for the full accomplishment of her well-considered plans. Mrs. Brown died in East Orange, N. J., 5th February, 1895. (American Women Fifteen Hundred Biographies Vol 1 Publ. 1897 Transcribed by Marla Snow)
BROWN, Hon. William
In the death of the above-named gentleman, January 15th, 1891, Rockford lost one of its high-minded and public-spirited citizens, while from the bereaved family circle a loving husband and father was removed, leaving a void in their lives that not even his honored memory can fill. He received his early education in the common schools of Oneida County, N. Y., at which time were instilled into his mind the firm principles which characterized him through life. He was an able lawyer, upright and honest, a devoted member of the Methodist Church, and a strong advocate of temperance principles, being a total abstainer himself.
He was born in Cumberland, in the North of England, June 1, 1819. His father, Thomas Brown, was also a native of England. The family, York on the 20th of May. They resided for a few months in Albany, then removed to Oneida County, where the father purchased a farm near the village of North Western, and was for many years engaged in agricultural pursuits, but subsequently retired and moved to North Western, where his death occurred. The maiden name of his wife was Mary Morton, also a native of England, who spent her last years on the home farm in Oneida County.
Mr. William Brown, desiring to become a lawyer, began the study of that profession in Rome, N. Y., and in 1846, after having been admitted to the Bar, started for the growing West, choosing as his permanent abiding place the then village of Rockford. Mr. Brown began even with the world, but having little to do in a professional way for some time, accepted a situation the first winter as teacher in a district school. In 1847, he talked quite strongly of leaving Rockford, and went to Beloit with the intention of removing there, but was not suffciently charmed with the outlook to do so.
In the election of 1847, Mr. Brown was chosen Justice of the Peace, and in speaking of the event later, remarked that he felt more thankful for that office than for any other to which he was afterward chosen. This arose from the fact that he was in need of something to do. In 1852, he was elected States Attorney for the district comprising Winnebago, Stephenson and Joe Daviess Counties, serving for a period of three years. At the expiration of that time, he was elected Mayor of Rockford, and in 1864 was sent to the Legislature on the Republican ticket. In 1857, he formed a partnership with William Lathrop, which connection existed for three years, when he took in as partner H. W. Taylor,with whom he was associated until 1870, at which time our subject was elected to the bench. He was first elected as Judge to fill the vacancy occasioned by the promotion of Judge Sheldon to the Supreme Court, and was subsequently elected three full terms of six years each--making altogether a period of twenty years as Judge. He left a pure and untarnished record as an able and upright Judge, and by the judiciary of the State was greatly honored for his ability and talent. The old lawyers of the district, as well as the people, speak of him in the highest terms of commendation and love. He always enjoyed the confidence and esteem of the community, and was recognized as very painstaking and careful in the preparation of his decisions, which were regarded as able by the Supreme Court of the State.
Hon. William Brown and Miss Caroline H. Miller, who was born in Livingston County, N. Y., were united in marriage, September 19th, 1850. Mrs. Brown was the daughter of the Hon. Horace and Hannah (Clark) Miller, for a further sketch of whom the reader is referred to the biography of William H. Miller, on another page of this work. Mrs. Brown still resides in Rockford where she is greatly beloved by all who know her She is the mother of three children who are respectively: Edward W., agent of the Illinois Central Railroad; Frank R., superintendent of the Nelson Knitting Co., and May, wife of H. W. Buckbee, florist and seedsman. A handsome and substantial office-building has just been erected to the memory of Judge Brown on South Main Street, Rockford, known as the William Brown Building.
Lawyer and jurist, was born June 1, 1819, in Cumberland, England, his parents emigrating to this country when he was eight years old, and settling in Western New York. He was admitted to the bar at Rochester, in October, 1845, and at once removed to Rockford, Ill., where he commenced practice. In 1852 he was elected State's Attorney for the Fourteenth Judicial Circuit, and, in 1857, was chosen Mayor of Rockford. In 1870 he was elected to the bench of the Circuit Court as successor to Judge Sheldon, later was promoted to the Supreme Court, and was re-elected successively in 1873, in '79 and '85. Died, at Rockford, Jan. 15, 1891. [Source: "Historical Encylopedia of Illinois, 1901", Transcribed by K. Torp]
BURGHARDT Harry Dewey
Hudson Wis. Office 325 Gilfillan bldg St Paul. Land and investments. Born Sept 29, 1858 Fulton Ill, son of George H and Lucy Ann (Dewey) Burghardt. Married Dec 25, 1887 to Clara E Garrett. Educated in public schools Rockford Ill; during Civil War in Louisville Ky; after war in Boone Ia 1869-71. Clk and bkpr with L H Pepper Boone Ia 1872-76; teller First National Bank Boone Iowa 1876-79; with Beveridge & Dewey private bankers Chicago 1880-82; gen mngr of Clendenin Mining & Smelting Co Mont 1882-85; merchandising and in real estate and mining business 1885-94; dep U S Int Rev collector and dep U S marshal for northern dist Mont 1891-94. Sec and gen mngr North Wis Land Co; pres and treas Eau Galle Land & Commercial Co; dir International Lumber & Supply Co and stockholder in other companies. Member Commercial Club St Paul. [Little Sketches of Big Folks in Minnesota. Publ. 1907 Transcribed by Renae Donaldson]
BACK -- HOME
Copyright © Genealogy Trails