Winnebago County, Illinois
REFERENCES - BY FIGURES, V. 2nd
1. Congregational Church;
2. Unitarian Church;
3. Site of the New Second Congregational Church;
4. Holland House;
5. Presbyterian Church. (O. S.);
6. Second Methodist Church;
7. Baptist Church;
8. Episcopal Church;
9. Presbyterian Church, (N. S.);
10. First Methodist Church; II.
11. First Congregational Church;
12. Swedish Lutheran Church;
13. Catholic Church;
14. Steam Foundry;
15. Compton's Grist Mill;
16. and line of Mills and Factories;
17. Galena S Chicago Union Railroad Depot;
18. Office of Rockford Register;
20. Female Seminary;
BOUNDARIES OF THE WARDS
North of State street and east of the river.
South of State st and east of the river.
South of State street, west of the river and north of Lents Creek.
North of State street and west of the river.
South of Lent's Creek and West of the river.
ROCKFORD, the county seat of Winnebago Co., Illinois, is named from the ford of rock at the head o f the rapids which spread over a lime rock bed about eight hundred feet in width; and the City is beautifully situated upon both sides of the Rock River. The first permanent settlement in this County was made here, on the west side of the rapids, by GERMANICUS KENT, in the fall of 1834, and in the course of the year 1835 the settlement of that part of the city which lies upon the east side of the river was commenced by DANIEL S. HAIGHT. The land on which the most important part of the city now stands, on both sides of the river, remained the property of the United States until the fall of 1843, when it was purchased at a dollar and a quarter per acre.
At the rapids an immense power exists, which has been improved and rendered permanent by the construction of a substantial dam by a Water Power Company, chartered by the legislature for that purpose. By this means, the whole of Rock River, with a head of eight feet—and capable of being increased to ten—is made available for propelling machinery. The races are cut in rock, and all the improvements are of the most durable character. Grist-mills, saw-mills, furnaces, foundaries, planing-machines, &c., and manufacturing establishments for various kinds of machinery and agricultural-implements are now in successful operation. The manufacture of pearl starch from corn, is carried on extensively and with eminent success on this water-power--with success, whether we consider the pure and excellent quality of the article produced, or the remuneration realized. MANNY'S celebrated reapers are here manufactured in large numbers, by a company consisting of JESSE BLINN, RALPH EMERSON, and WAIT TALCOTT, who employ about two hundred men, and transact a business of about half a million of dollars per annum. This enumeration includes but a part of the works in actual operation. There are others deserving of an extended notice, and the number is steadily increasing, yet the capacity of the water power is far beyond its present use, and valuable privileges are still to be had on terms that promise rich returns to further investments.
At the east end of the city bridge, on State street, East Rockford, are extensive foundries and machine shops, embracing several departments, such as a furnace for casting machinery and agricultural implements of every description, a forge where the works in wrought iron are performed, a finishing shop for articles of iron manufacture, cast and wrought, where steam engines and other machinery are completed with an elegance which would do credit to other cities; also, extensive shops for the manufacture of doors, sash, blinds—and woodwork for ploughs, cultivators, &c. S&c.
The lumber market is superior to any other in this part of the State except Chicago--the sale of pine lumber alone being equal to about a million and a half each month, saying nothing of heavy supplies of other lumber, and of timber received from the surrounding country, and that rafted down the Pecatonica and Rock Rivers, and yet the supply does not meet the demand, and evidently would not, if it were nearly or quite double.
The progress of building, great and rapid as it is here, would be much; accelerated by more plentiful supplies of lumber. Other materials for building can be had in the immediate vicinity of the city, there being extensive quarries of excellent cream-colored limestone, brick-yards, &c.
The buildings for the last few years, in durability of material and style of architecture, have exhibited gratifying evidence of the taste and wealth of the inhabitants. The city bridge, and the bridge of the Chicago and Galena Union Railroad Company across Rock River —the latter built at a cost exceeding fifty thousand dollars—are magnificent structures, and among the best public works in this part of the State. The railroad bridge is built on the solid rock of the ford, and is sustained by six massive stone piers, resting upon the limestone bed of the river.
The city was incorporated in 1832, and now contains over eight thousand inhabitants. There arc eleven places of public worship, including two Congregational, two Methodist, one Baptist, one Episcopal, one Unitarian, one Presbyterian, one Catholic, one Disciples, or Campbellites, and one Swedish Lutheran,
The hotel accommodations are admitted by all travelers and visitors to be equal to the best, and as a "first class house" for size, finish, elegance of architecture and completeness of appointments, the "Holland House" will not suffer by comparison with any other.
The inhabitants are mostly from the Eastern States, and in scarcely any other locality does a visitor behold so readily the unmistakeable characteristics of an eastern town, not the least notable of which are its literary and scientific institutions. Among these stands prominently the Rockford Female Seminary, chartered in 1847,which during the time of its existence has educated hundreds of students, the number of whom has steadily kept pace with the progress of the edifices for the accommodation. There are numerous academical schools for the education of young men, in which they are prepared for college, and for the mercantile and other important pursuits of ire. Two magnificent Union School Houses, of stone, built under he direction of the City Council, at a cost of fifteen thousand dollars each, for free schools, are nearly completed, and will soon be dedicated to the great purpose of their erection.
A large tract of land has been purchased on the western margin of the city, as the site of a first class Methodist Seminary, which will speedily be erected thereon, and thus make an important addition to their institutions of learning and the social advantages of the place.
The city of Rockford has important railroad connections, first by the Galena and Chicago Union and Illinois Central Roads, which have already completed the route from the great lakes to the Mississippi, Rockford being the central point upon the same; next, by the Rockford and Warsaw Road, which is already in progress; then the Rockford and Rock Island Road, which has been chartered to run through the rich valley of Rock River, and must soon be built. The requisite amount of stock for the building of a railroad from Kenosha (Wisconsin), on Lake Michigan, to Rockford, is nearly all taken, and there can be no doubt of the successful accomplishment of this great and important enterprise.
It is contemplated to push the line right along down the river, and the people of the river towns express themselves ready to aid to the utmost. It will then form another grand chain from Lake Michigan to the Mississippi. It is also nearly certain that Rockford will speedily be put in direct connection with Racine, by an extension of the Racine railroad from Rockton to Rockford, which, by a still further southern extension sure to follow, will, in fact, be connecting the Illinois Central with the principal railroads in Wisconsin, opening at once to Rockford the rich coal fields of the south and the lumber regions of the north, and to all intents making Rockford a point on the great Illinois Central railroad.
Elegant, costly and substantial works for supplying the city with gas, have been erected during the present year. The pipes are already laid through the principal streets, and under the energetic management of MR. HERRICK, who has the charge and direction of the work, it is confidently expected that the Forest City" will be visible by gas light by Christmas or New Years.
Metropolitan Hall is an elegant public edifice, erected this year in East Rockford, by Messrs. SPAFFORD and JOHN H. HALL. There are two public halls in West Rockford, in the buildings of U. M. WARNER and TINKNOR and DICKERMAN.The second Congregational Society will build for their accommodation a church edifice in West Rockford, of the cream colored limestone taken from the quarries around the city. The building is to cost $25,000, and to be modelled after the Romanesqued style of architecture, with one hundred and eighty pews, and a capacity for eight hundred people.
Rockford, although young, "has a history," and that history, with the accumulations of future years, will in due season be written and transmitted to the successors of its past and present inhabitants. But "the time is not yet," and the work must be deferred until its chronicles have attained a wider magnitude.
The position of Rockford is a most favorable one, and the surrounding country, for health, beauty and fertility, is unsurpassed. The banks of Rock River are green and smooth, with a gradual slope to the water's edge, and are consequently always clean and pleasant.—There is no swamp, morass, or "low wet ground" to mar the beauty of the view, or to make even on single lot disagreeable or unhealthy. Those who have been accustomed to seeing such repelling features on other there, and expect to behold them on Rock River, are destined to enjoy an agreeable surprise whenever they visit this section. Let any one who has stood upon the banks of the Connecticut at a season when the flowers, the grass, the trees, and the fields of wavering grain, array Nature in her most delightful garb, imagine a region vastly more fertile, a river more silvery, and a scenery handsomer in its natural state that which on the Connecticut has been rendered so brilliant by a century of cultivation, and he will readily understand whatis the character of the Rock River Valley. Nearly every acre of the land along the river is available for building purposes or tillage, and affords dry and pleasant lots for homesteads. The annoyances of mosquetoes and other unpleasant visitors, which, on the banks of many streams "murder sleep" and render night horrible, are here almost unknown.
Of the City of Rockford, as taken with the Directory Canvass, Nov. 1st, 1856
By W.C.L.E. FERSLEW
The Baptist Church of Rockford was organized Dec., 22d 1833, with sixteen members. During some two and a half years its meetings were held in a hail over a store, then occupied by DR . HAMEL. On the 8th of May 1841, the Church met in a small Meeting House temporarily seated, which being afterward furnished, was occupied until arrangements were made for erecting their present Church edifice. Rev. S. S. Whitman, then of Belvidere, served the church as pastor for some time, though never residing among them.
The first resident pastor was Rev. Solomon Knap, whose labors commenced Nov. lst. 1841, and for two years were acceptable and successful in enlarging and strengthening the church.
His successor was Rev. W. F. Parish, under his labors, which continue, about the same length of time, the church still enjoyed prosperity and gradual enlargement.
After the close of Mr.. Parish's labors, Rev. C. H. Read preached a few months and was succeeded by Rev. Luther Stone, as pastor under whose labors no marked change took place. In 1847, Rev. S. S. Whitman again accepted the invitation of the church to serve them as temporary pastor. His kind heartedness and gentlemanly christian deportment rendered his society very acceptable, and his labors useful in building up the church and promoting the best interests of society.
Under his faithful labor, the church edifice now occupied was commenced.
In Nov. 1848, the church numbered about eighty communicants, when a protracted meeting was held, and under the labors of Rev. Jacob Knap, the number of communicants was nearly doubled.
In July 1842, Rev. J. Clark was called to the pastorate of the church and still occupies that position. Under his labors several interesting revivals have been enjoyed. and the church now numbers about two hundred and fifty communicants. The present church was erected at a cost of over six thousand dollars. Its clock and bell cost about one thousand. It was dedicated to the worship of God, June 1850. Five young men have gone out from this church that are now preaching the everlasting gospel, and one female Missionary to a far distant land of heathenism. Of the constituent members only four remain. So all will pass away.
FIRST CONGREGATIONAL CHURCH
THE FIRST CONGREGATIONAL CHURCH, of Rockford, was organized May 5th, 1837. The following were its original members, viz: Rev. John Morrill, Herman B. Potter, Richard Morrill, Israel Morrill, Elizabeth B. Morrill, Minerva Potter, Sophia N. Morrill, Mary J. Morrill and Eunice Brown. Israel Morrill and Herman B. Potter were chosen Deacons, and Rev. J. Morrill was invited to preach for one year.The following ministers have served the church since its organization, in the stated ministration of the Word and Ordinances:
Rev. JOHN MORRILL, from May, 1831, to — 1838
Rev. CYRUS L. WATSON, " Nov. 1838, " May, 1841
Rev. WM. S. CURTIS, " Nov. 1841, " Aug. 1842
Rev. OLIVER W. NORTON, " Sept. 1842, " 1843
Rev. LANSING PORTER, " Feb. 1844, " Apr., 1846
Rev. LEWIS M. LOSS, 1846, " Nov. 1849
Rev. HENRY M. GOODWIN, " Aug. 1850, " _______
In 1845 the present house of worship was erected on the East side of the river, the Society having previously worshipped on the West side. The new house was opened and dedicated in April, 1846. In October, 1849, forty-three members were dismissed from this Church and organized as the Second Congregational Church of Rockford.
First Congregational Church, First street, corner of Walnut. Pastor, H. N. GOODWIN ; residence, Kishwaukee street, corner of 1st. avenue. Services, 11 o'clock, A.M., and 11 P. M. Sabbath School from 12 to 1 P. M. Superintendent, C. C. BRIGGS. No. of members in Church, 180. Sabbath School, 200
The SECOND CONGREGATIONAL CHURCH of the City of Rockford, Illinois, was organized Nov. 1, 1849, by forty-one members from the First Congregational Church of this city, five from other churches, and one on the profession of faith. On the 14th day of the same month, the church was regularly received and recognized by a council called for that purpose, composed as follows:—Rev. Huchins Taylor, of Rockton, Modreator; Rev. R. M. Pearsons, of Grand De Tour, Clerk; Rev. Dexter Clary, of Beloit, Rev. Lewis Benedict, of Rockton, Rev. Lansing Porter, of Rockford, and Mr. Horace Hobert, Delegate from the Church at Belit. Rial R. Town and Alonzo Gorham were elected Deacons, Thomas D. Robertson, Clerk and Treasurer, Benjamin A. Rose, and Samuel J. Russel, on the Prudential Committee, G. A. Sanford, W. A. Dickerman, and D. G. Clark,, on the Assessment Committee. Rev. LANSING PORTER having received and accepted an invitation to become the stated supply for this Church, immediately entered upon the performance of his duties.
The Society connected with this Church purchased and repaired the house of worship formerly occupied by the First Church, on the west side of the river. In the summer of 1851 the house was enlarged to nearly double its former size.
In January, 1853, Rev. L. Porter ceased his ministerial labors in connection with this Church. October 23d, of the same year, Rev. Joseph Emerson visited us by invitation, and on the first of January, 1854, a call was extended to him to become the pastor of this Church. On the 22d day of May following, Mr. Emerson, having accepted the call, was duly installed Pastor of the Second Congregational Church of Rockford, by a Council convened for that purpose.
The Church is located corner Church and Green streets. Pastor's residence Church street near North. Hours of service, 10:30 A. M., and 2 P. M. Sabbath School meets at 12 M.
Until within the last four years, the Episcopal Church in Rockford had but a nominal existence. The few Episcopalians residing here were supplied with occasional religious services by Missionaries residing at Belvidere. The Rev. Mr. Louderback, it is believed, was the first Missionary who performed stated Episcopal services in Rockford. He commenced about the year 1841, as nearly as can now be recollected. After him, the Rev. Mr. Pulford continued the work, spending a portion of his time here as long as he remained at Belvidere Little however was accomplished by such occasional services, towards the permanent establishment of the church. If any regular organization of a parish was effected, there is no evidence of it now existing.
The parish was regularly organized and a vestry elected through the instrumentality of the Rev. Dudley Chase, on the fourth of May, in the year of our Lord 1849.
In November 1852, the Rev. Charles Reighley was called to the rectorship. Through his instrumentality, assisted materially by the active exertions of the ladies of the congregation, the present temporary church edifice was erected, at a cost of about three thousand dollars. It was consecrated to the worship of Almighty God in August, 1853.
In September following, the Rev. Mr. Reighley resigned the rectorship, and it was succeeded by the present incumbent, the Rev. A. Clark, who entered upon the duties of the rectorship in Nov. 1853.
Under the divine blessing, the church has enjoyed uninterrupted prosperity from the first. Nothing remarkable has been connected with its history, unless a continued flow of peace and harmony, a vigorous and healthy growth in a very short space of time, without noise or under excitement, may be called remarkable.
FIRST METHODIST E. CHURCH
The first society of the M. E. Church, East Rockford, was organized by Rev. Win. Royal, in September, 1836, in the log house of Samuel Gregory, and numbered five persons. At the Conference of 1836, Rev. Dr. Arnold was sent to the work, and remained one year. In 1831 Rev'ds Gaddis and Lane were sent as co-laborers to this field, the latter, however, remaining only part of the year, his place being supplied by Rev. L. A. Walker. In 1838 Rev'ds L. A. Walker and N. Jewett were put down for the circuit of which Rockford was a part. During the year the society rented a building used for a printing office, holding courts, &c. In 1839 Rockford was made a half station, Rev. N. Jewett preacher; 180, Rev. S. Stocking was pastor, and served one year; 1841, Rev. Mr. Crummer was sent, and remained, one year; 1842, Rev. S. Bohs was appointed to the work, and served one year. During the pastorship of S. Boles the society bought what is now called the "Old Female Seminary." It was first built for a Congregational Church, afterwards used for a Court House till bought by the society. In 1843 R. L. Blanchard was preacher one :year. In 1844 Rev. N. P. Heath was pastor one year. 1843, Rev. Mr. Cahoon came to the charge, preached once, was taken ill and died. For the year his place was supplied by Rev. John Lucock, who put in circulation a subscription for the present house of worship. 1846, Rev. N. P. Heath was returned to the work and served one year. 1847. Rev. James E. Wilson was pastor; 1848, Rev. J. C. Parks was preacher, and served two years ; 1850, Rev. Wm. P. Jones was sent to the work; 1851, F. A. Reed was sent to the station, and served two years; 1853, Rev. Wm. Tasker was appointed to the charge, served one year, and was succeeded by Rev. J. Baume, who was again succeeded by the present pastor, Rev. H. Crews.
The present commodious church, edifice is a substantial brick building, erected at a cost of about $7,000, and was dedicated on the 3d of June, 1848. It is located on a pleasant site, on Second street, south of State, East Rockford, and has a capacity of seating about five hundred. The present membership is about 200, with a congregation of the full capacity of the Church.
SECOND METHODIST E. CHURCH
During the first year of the pastorate of Rev. F. A. Reed, of the First M. E. Church, two lots where the Episcopal Church now stands were secured with the intention of building a Methodist Church. By the advice of Elder Keys these lots were subsequently disposed of and the lots purchased where the church now stands. A newly elected board of trustees, aided by Rev. F. A. Reed, proceeded to take subscriptions and erect the Church. At the last quarterly meeting of the second year of Mr. Reed's administration, the society was organized and petitioned the Rock River Annual Conference for recognition and pastor. The petition was granted and the Rev. Mr. Chatfield, formerly of the Michigan Conference, was appointed. The Church edifice not being as yet complete Mr. Chatfield took charge of his society in a hail on State street. Before the close of the Conference year the pastor resigned his charge and returned to Michigan. Rev, Mr. Tasker, pastor of the M. E. Church in East Rockford, took the oversight of this society in addition to his own during the remainder of the year.
In September, 1854, Rev. W. F. Stewart was transferred from the Ohio to the Rock River Conference, and appointed pastor of the new charge. Entering upon his labors he found a neat and elegant church edifice of brick, 45 feet by 10, furnished in the amphitheatre style and nearly ready for dedication. The dedicatory service was conducted by Rev'ds Crews, Boles, Stuff and Agard, in November, 1854. Once in the new church, although the society numbered less than 100, they possessed a home feeling which greatly stimulated their labors and enjoyments. The presence of the Spirit of God was soon manifest in the secret and public communications of the church, and during the winding up of 1854, the society rejoiced to recognize itself in a revival state. During the winter and spring some one hundred and forty applied for admission into society, making the present membership not far from 200. The Church will seat a larger congregation than any other in the city, and is usually filled to its capacity. It is located on Court street, near State, and was erected at a cost of about $7,000.
FIRST PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH
The first Presbyterian Church of Rockford was organized July 8 1854, with thirty-eight members. The Church building, since enlarged and remodeled, is the first which the congregation has held. It is located on the corner of State and Winnebago streets, and valued at $1,000. The present incumbent, Rev. H. A. Brown, is the first pastor, and there are now fifty-five members.
The enterprise was commenced by the Presbytery of Chicago, in the beginning of December, 1854—meetings being held first in Hors-man's block, corner of State and Main streets, then in Warner's Hall, and afterwards for several months in the Court House.
The occupation of the present Church building is not anticipated longer than till the society finds itself able to erect a better edifice.
SECOND PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH
Organized Jan. 1856, with 22 members, now has 50 members.
Lecture room erected spring of 1856, Located E. R. corner of Oak and 2d st. Public worship, 10/ A. M. 3 P. M. Prayer Meetings Sabbath evening and Wednesday evening. 7 o'clock Sabbath School. 75 scholars.
Superintendent Joel B. Potter. Meets at 12 O'clock 31. MORRISON HUGGINS, Pastor
Preparations making to build a Church.
Names of the members with which the church was organized.
E. S. Rose, Jerusha C. Rose, Eliza W. Rose, Eliza White, Josiah H. Wheat, Francis E. Wheat, Juliet F. Wheat, Joel B. Potter, Adaline R. Potter, Ruth Giddings, Cornelia E. Giddings, Eurab More, Frederick A. Hart, Sylvia Hart, Charles Williams, Sarah S. Williams, Stephen Rose, Amanda H. Rose, Frances S. Rose, Stephen Rose, Thomas Garrison, Electa Garrison.
The Unitarian Church commenced in the Autumn of 1849, with a few members. Rev. H. Snow, from New England, preached every alternate Sunday, until the following July, when he was compelled to leave through ill health. He was succeeded by Rev. J. M. Windsor, a graduate of the Meadville Theological School. He preached regularly till the Spring of 1854, when he left. There was no preaching until October of the same year, when the present minister, a graduate of the Theological School at Meadville, entered upon a six months engagement. Near the expiration of that term, he received, and accepted a unanimous invitation to become the, minister of the Church. The society met in the old frame Church now used by the Presbyterian Society, till November, 1854. It was previously sold, on the faith of the new Church being finished in October according to contract ; that not being ready the school room of Mr. Kimball was secured during the winter. The new Church was dedicated and the minister ordained on April 10, 1855. It is a neat stone edifice, located on the corner of Church and Chestnut streets, is of the Gothic style, plain in its exterior and interior finish, but finely proportioned in all its parts and rich in its very plainness. The body of the Church is 40 by 60 feet; height of side walls 20 feet; height of tower 58 feet, being 14 feet by 15 at the base; height of spire, 118 feet, The interior wood work is all grained in imitation of oak; recess gallery over vestibule; recess chancel 8 ½ feet by 18 ½ . There are 64 pews, 49 of which are already rented. Has a capacity for seating 350.
SWEDISH LUTHERAN CHURCH
This society was organized about a year ago by Rev. Mr. Carlson, of Chicago, who has also preached one a month since. Rev. John Johnson is the stated minister, and the society numbers at present some 150 members. It meets in the old Female Seminary building, east side of the river.
A Society known under the name of Disciples was organized two or three months since, which meets at the Court House at the usual hours of Sabbath service. They are represented to us as having a membership at the present time, of some 50. They discard the prefix of Reverend, and substitute the affix of Speaker.
Located on Second street, near Public Square, East Rockford.— Was built three years since under the charge of Rev. Mr. Hampsten as priest, who afterwards died here, and was succeeded by Rev. G. A. Hamilton. who was succeeded by the present incumbent, Rev. Wm. Lambert. The estimated value of the Church is $1,000, and its membership is set down at from 600 to '700. This includes the Catholic population, both adults and children, for a considerable section.
Western mail opens at 8 A. M.; closes at 1 P. M
CHURCHES, PUBLIC PLACES, &c.
CHURCHES - With names of Pastors and Sabbath Services.
WEST SIDE OF RIVER
Methodist Episcopal - Court st, nr and north of State, Rev. L. A. SANFORD, Pastor; Services at 10 ½ A. M. and 7 P. M.; Sabbath School at 9 A. M.
Baptist - Church st. near and north of State, Rev. I. CLARK, Pastor ; at 10 ½ A. M , and 1 ½ P.M,; Sabbath School 12 M.
Episcopal - Church st., nr public square, Rev. A. CLARK, Rector; at 10 ½ A. M. and 2 P. M. Sunday School 12 M.
Presbyterian (Old School,) - Cor State and Winnebago sts., Rev. H. A. BROWN, Pastor ; at 10 ½ A.M. and 7 P. M. Sabbath School at 12 M.
Second Congregational. - Cor Church and. Green sts., Rev. J. EMERSON, Pastor ; at 10 ½ A. M., and 2 P. M. Sabbath School 12 M.
Unitarian - Cor. Church and Chesnut sts ; Rev. J. Mcartar, Pastor ; at 10 ½ A.M. and 1 ½ P. M.
Associate Reformed Presbyterian - Meet at Court House, Rev. B. K. ORTMOND, Pastor , at 10 ½ A. M. and 1 ½ P.M. Sabbath School it 3 P. M.
EAST SIDE OF RIVER
Methodist Episcopal. - Second street, south of State, Rev. H. Crews, Pastor ; at 10 ½ A.m., and 7 P. M. Sabbath School at 12 m.
First Congregational. - First st., south of and near State, Rev. H. M. Goodwin, Pastor; at 10 ½ A. m., and 1 ½ P.M. Sabbath School at 12 M.
Presbyterian, (New School.) - Corner Second and Oak streets, Rev. Huggins, Pastor ; at 10 ½ A. m., and 3 P. M. Sabbath School at 12 M.
Swedish. Lutheran. - Corner First and Rock sts., Rev. Andreen, Pastor at 10 ½ A.M. and 7 P. M.
Disciples. - First st., near Public Square, Landis Correll, Speaker ; at 10 ½ A. M., and 1 ½ P. M.
Roman Catholic.--Second st., north of State, W. Lambert, Priest; at 10 ½ A.M.
HOTELS - WEST SIDE OF RIVER
Holland House.--Corner Main and Elm streets ; E W. Pierce, Proprietor.
City Hotel. - Corner State and Church sts ; E. Ratcliff.
Jones' Hotel Corner Court and Cedar sts ; H. B. Jones.
Hotel. - On Railroad, near the Depot.
Eagle Hotel. - South of Railroad and near Depot.
EAST SIDE OF RIVER
American Hotel. - Corner Main and Market sts ; L. Compton.
EXCHANGE OFFICES--West side of River
Robertson, Coleman& Co.; car Main and Elm sts.
Lane, Sanford & Co. cor Stat and Main sts.
Spafford, Clark & Ellis; State st nr Post Office.E. V Kitchel; State st. (east side,) opposite Briggs, Spafford & Penfield's Bank.
EAST SIDE OF RIVER
Briggs, Spafford & Penfield; State st nr first.
E. H Potter & Co; Worthington's Block, State st.
PUBLIC BUILDINGS AND HALLS
Court House, County Offices and Jail - On square bounded by State, Court, Elm and Church sts., west side.
Warner's Hall - Corner State and Main sts., west side.
Metropolitan Hall - State st. nr First, east side.
Dickerman & Ticknor's Hall - Main st., near State, west side.
Female Seminary - South of Railroad, east side
Young Men's Association; for the procurance of regular Lectures, and the promotion of useful knowledge. E. H. Baker, President; Rev. J. Murray, Corresponding Secretary; C. C. Spafford, Recording Secretary; E. Cosper, Treasurer.
MASONS--Winnebago Chapter, No.....meets 1st and 2d Tuesday evenings in every month from October to April, and 1st Tuesday evening from April to October.
Rockford Lodge, No. 102; meets Thursday evenings on or before the full of the moon.
Star in the East Lodge, No. 166; meets the 1st and 3d Friday evenings of each month from October to April, and on the 1st Friday evening of every month from April to October.
ODD FELLOWS - Winnebago Lodge, No. 31; meets every Monday evening, west side.
Social Lodge No. 140; meets every Friday evening in stone block, State street, east side.
GOOD TEMPLARS - Beacon Lodge, No. 76; meets every Monday evening, at Masonic Hall, west side.
FIRE DEPARTMENT - H. D. FROST, Chief Engineer.
Winnebago Engine Co., No. 1; C. T. Jelerson, Foreman; C. C. Spafford, Secretary.
Washington Go., No. 2; G. S. Allen, Foreman; E. G. Day, Secretary.
Phoenix Hook and Ladder Co., No. 1; Geo. Bishop, Foreman ; Isaac Jackson, Secretary.
ADAMS ST. from State North to North st
BENTON ST. from Longwood east to limits
CAROLINE ST. from the river east to 2d st
COURT ST. from the river east to East st
CROSBY ST. from Longwood east to limits
EAST ST. from State st north to 2d st
EAST STATE ST. from city bridge east to the limits
EIGHTH ST. from St Charles st south to the R R
ELEVENTH ST. from St Charles st south to 5th av
FIFTH AVE. from Kishwaukee st east to 11th st
FIFTH ST. from State st to East st
FIRST AVE. from Kishwaukee st east to 17th st
FIRST ST. from Mill st north to limits
FOURTH AVE. from Kishwaukee st east to IIth st
FOURTH ST. from the R R north to East st
GROVE ST. from the river to Kishwaukee st
HILL ST. from the river east to East st
JACKSON ST. from Longwood st east to limits
KISHWAUKEE ST. from junction of 3d and State sts S to limits
LONGWOOD ST. from State st north to 2d st
MAIN ST. from the It It north to the limits
MARKET ST. from the river east to State st
MILL ST. from the river to South st
NINTH ST. from St Charles st south to the R
NORTH ST. from the river east to East st S from Longwood to limits
OAK ST. from the river to Kishwaukee st
PRAIRIE ST. from the river east to East st
ROCK ST. from the river east to East st
RURAL ST. from junction of East and 2d sts east to city limits
ST CHARLES ST. from junction of State and 6th sts south east to limits
SECOND AVE. from Kishwaukee st east to St Charles st
SECOND ST. from South st north to the limits
SEMINARY ST. from South st south
SEVENTH ST. from St Charles st south to the RR
SIXTH AVE. from Kishwaukee st east to 9th st
SIXTH ST. from jnnction of State and St Charles st south
SOUTH ST. from the river to Kishwaukee st
SOUTH 5th st from State south
SOUTH 4th st from 5th av south
SOUTH 3d ST. from South st south
STATE ST. from City bridge east to the limits
SUMMIT ST. from State st to North st
TENTH ST. from St Charles st south to 5th av
THIRD AVE. from Kishwaukee east to 11th st
THIRD ST. from South st north to East st
WALNUT ST. from the river to Kishwaukee st
WATER ST. parallel with the river from Grove st to Hill st
WEST AND SOUTH ROCKFORD
AUBURN ST. from North limits south west, to West limits.
AVON ST. from the Railroad north to School st.
BLAKE ST. (south of K. Creek) from Court st north.
CEDAR ST. from the river west to the limits.
COURT ST. from Montague north to the limits.
CREEK ST. from Elm st north.
CUNNINGHAM ST. (south of the creek) from Winnebago north.
CHERRY ST. from Court west to Picatonica st.
CHESTNUT ST. from the river west to West st and from the creek to the limits.
CHURCH ST. from Montague st north to the limits.
EAST ST. from the creek south to the river.
ELM ST. from the river west to the limits.
FISHER'S AVENUE, from N. Main west to Winnebago st.
GARRISON ST. from west limits south west.
GEORGE ST. from crossing of Winnebago and Plum st north west to Maple st.
GREEN ST. from the river west to the limits.
HARLEM AVE. from N Main north, parallel with the river.
HARRIS ST. (south of the creek) from the river north to Main st.
HIGH ST. from Montague st south to the limits.
HORSMAN ST. from State st north and north west to Willow st.
HULIX ST. (south of the creek) from the river north to Main st.
JOHN ST. from Church st west to Garrison st.
KENT ST. (south of the creek) from the creek north.
LOCUST ST. from Court west to Picatonica st.
LOOMIS ST. (south of the creek) from the river north.
MAIN ST. from south limits to north limits.
MAPLE ST. from Winnebago west to Picatonica st.
MONTAGUE ST. (south of the creek) from the river north.
MORGAN ST. (south of the creek) from the river north.
MULBERRY ST. from the river west to limits.
NAPOLEON ST. from Church st west to Thomas st.
NORTH MAIN ST. from State st north to the limits.
NORTH ST. from the river west to Picatonica st.
OAK ST. from Winnebago west to Picatonica st.
PARK ST. from Church to Court st.
PEACH ST. from the river west to the limits.
PICATONICA ST. from State north and north west to Willow st.
PINE ST. from the river west to Winnebago st.
PLUM ST. from Court st west to junction of Cherry and Rockton st.
RIVER ST. from the creek south to Montague st.
ROCKTON ST from Cherry st north west to Auburn st.
ROCK ST. from the creek south to the river.
SCHOOL ST, from Church to Court st.
SCHOOL ST, from Avon west to the limits.
SOUTH MAIN ST. from State st south to the limits.
SOUTH ST. from the river west and south west, (parallel with the railroad) to the limits.
STANLEY ST. from Cedar st north to State st.
STATE ST. from city bridge west to limits.
TAY ST. from Cedar st north to school st.
THOMAS ST. from Napoleon to Garrison st.
WEST STATE ST. from City bridge west to limits.
WEST ST. from Montague st north to Rockton st, and from Whitman north to Garrison st.
WHITMAN ST. from N Main west.
WILLOW ST. from Rockton west to Picatonica st.
WINNEBAGO ST. from Montague north to Maple st, and from Whitman st north to the limits.
WYMAN ST. from the creek north to North st
BACK -- HOME
Copyright © Genealogy Trails