Winnebago County, Illinois
FIRST CONSOLIDATED SCHOOL IN ILLINOIS
Seward township has the first consolidated school in Illinois. In the spring of 1903, on petition to the school trustees. Districts 90, 91, 93, of Seward township, were consolidated. The electors of the consolidated district, bv a vote of thirty-eight for and fifteen against, bonded the district for $7,000, ten years' time at four per cent, to purchase a site and erect a union school building. By a vote of forty-seven for, and one against, the airectors were authorized to purchase a certain site for the new school grounds.
This consists of three and six-tenths acres of some of the finest farming land in northern Illinois. The amount paid for it was $1,000. Prof. Blair, chief of horticulture of the Illinois College of Agriculture, designed the landscape arrangement of this ground. It provides for the beautiful groupings and massing of numerous varieties of shrubs and flowcrs: a boys' athletic field; a girls' athletic field; little folks' playground ; and experimental gardens for all the children. The new building was erected at a cost of about $6,000. The credit of this innovation belongs to Superintendent O. J. Kern, who labored four years and a half to accomplish this result. This school promises to be the connecting link between the farm and the college of agriculture. [---from Past and Present of City of Rockford and Winnebago County Illinois, Charles A Church and H.H. Waldo, 1905]
BACK -- HOME
Copyright © Genealogy Trails