Welcome to Genealogy Trails!

Indiana Genealogy Trails

   

line
SOUVENIR ALBUM
OF
LAKE COUNTY INDIANA

1906
line


DYER
Dyer, a station on the Monon railroad, is a modest village of some 200 inhabitants. It was platted in 1855. It has a good warehouse, a flour and feed mill, a good school and church. It is also a good trading point. Dyer has one of the three Catholic churches in the township.

Here was built the oldest M. E. church building in the county. Mr. Keilman was Dyer's first postmaster and its most prominent business man and banker. There are four churches at Dyer, and the people are much attached to them. It is one of the oldest and most peaceable towns and localities in the county.

Dyer Indiana School building   Dyer church
Dyer School Building and Church

   

CATHOLICISM IN LAKE COUNTY

The history of Catholicism in Lake County is one of encouragement for the people of this faith. In some of the townships of Lake County Catholicism is practically absent, while in others of the north central part, as St. John and Hanover townships, Catholicism predominates almost to unanimity. No other denomination than the Catholics ever organized in St. John township, where it has three thrifty churches.

The parent church of Catholicism in Lake County is the Church of St. John the Evangelist, at St. John. Its building is located on the highest ground of any church in the county. In earlier days it has seen the largest congregations of any church in the county. Having contributed of its membership and strength 10 other congregations, it has now left only ninety families in the parish and seventy children in school. It was organized as a church in 1842 and had existed before as a mission. Rev. Anton Heitman, the retired pastor, who still resides at St. John, was pastor at that parish for about forty years. Rev. Charles F. Keyser, of Lowell, is now the pastor.

There are eighteen Catholic churches, with 1,610 families, in Lake County, served by pastors whose cuts appear in the album. The largest congregation is that of St. Joseph's at Hammond, with 250 families. The smallest are at Lowell and at Kinmary, with thirty families each. There is one Catholic hospital, St. Margaret's, at Hammond, with twenty Sisters of St. Francis, and Rev. Henry Plaster, chaplain. There are in all fifty-five teaching and nursing sisters in Lake County and 1,865 children in the schools.

The Rt. Rev. H. Joseph Alerding, D. D., of Fort Wayne, Ind., is the bishop of this diocese, whose territory comprises the northern half of the State of Indiana.

The days of aggressive religious and denominational opposition have happily passed in Lake County, having now served their purpose. Protestants of different denominations and Catholics worship and work peacefully and harmoniously side by side without opposing each other. Each recognizes that there are excellent qualities and some defects in themselves and in the others, in membership and in administrations. All know that they do good, even though each prefer their own methods; and all are striving toward the same end with varying success. Toleration has succeeded opposition, as it is hoped that cooperation will still further improve on toleration. We think we see the signs and gladly hail them.

Church at Turkey Creek, Lake County, IN
Church, School and Sisters' House at Turkey Creek

Hanover Indiana Church and School
Hanover church and school buildings

St. John Indiana church 
St. John church and school building

Early Catholic Priests of Lake County, Indiana
 Group of Lake County Catholic Ministers
Reading from right to left, top row:
PETER KAHELEP, St. Cassemer's Church, Hammond.
REV. KAUB, Wheeling, W. Va.
REV. KANSEN, Hobart.
REV. HEITMAN, St. John.
REV. KOENIG, Lottaville.
REV. BERG, Schererville.
REV. PLASTER, Hammond.
REV. STETER, Kentland.
REV. ZUMBUELTE, Hanover Center.
REV. FLACK, Dyer.
REV. BAICHERT, Wanatah

   


ST. JOHN
The Catholics in religion, and the Germans in nationality, predominate in and about St. John. They have a large, flourishing parish and the oldest priest in service in the county.

SHELBY
The passing of the first train on the Monon railway through Lake County, in 1882, and the crossing of it the following year by the "Three I," was the origin of the village of Shelby at this crossing. Shelby is the most southern town in Lake County. Unlike its northern sister cities on Lake Michigan, its population has not increased by kangaroo leaps. It has remained modest in its pretensions to wealth, industries and all that goes with the loud acclaim of booming cities. It has a church, a good school of three rooms, a hotel, and a citizenship proud of itself and of its county.

CEDAR LAKE
Cedar Lake has long, widely and deservedly been known as Lake County's prettiest summer resort. To the tired body or brain, nothing surpasses the restfulness of Nature's beauty, grandeur or placidity. The combination of woods, hills and a large body of fresh, wholesome, navigable water is what gives Cedar Lake its attractiveness to the crowds that come there each summer from surrounding towns and country, and especially in excursions from Chicago.

They come to escape dust, worry and overwork. They come to picnic, to visit, to row or take a launch ride on the lake; to let the children paddle near the shore or take a plunge themselves; to fill their lungs with fresh air and the eye with a sense of fresh beauty; to enjoy the freedom and healthfulness of outdoor life, in solitude or in crowds, as one may prefer. Extensive provision has been made to receive visitors at Cedar Lake. Commodious hotels with modern accessories are kept on either side of the lake, besides many other smaller boarding-houses. The residents are hospitable and friendly and accustomed to crowds. There are all manner of boats, large and small, to be hired with or without pilot, on either side of the lake.

When the busy summer season is over at Cedar Lake the quiet of the environments, together with the varicolored robe of the woods on the surrounding slants and hills, make it a spot of delight and charm, and home parties go out nutting and squirrel hunting. In the winter time, when the trees have pulled on their white hoods and Jack Frost has put his icy lid on the lake, two large ice-plants at either end of the lake keep a body of men busy in storing up the cooling, crystal blocks in the capacious ice-houses till summer's scorching rays shall bring them out for the sick, the fevered and the sweltering.

Our artist shows us cuts of several of Cedar Lake's beautiful spots and places.

Scene on the Kankakee River, Lake County, IN
Scene at Kankakee River
Scenes on the Kankakee River, Lake County, IN 
Fishing Scene at the Kankakee River
Cedar Lake, Indiana
A Hot Weather Scene at Cedar Lake Bathing Beach
Cedar Lake, Indiana Picnic Train
Picnic Train Arriving at Cedar Lake

Scene on Cedar Lake North from Depot 



NEXT PAGE 

BACK -- HOME

©Genealogy Trails