KENTUCKY GENEALOGY TRAILS
Boone County, Kentucky Genealogy Trails

Biographies

 

GAINES, John Pollard
(1795—1857)

GAINES, John Pollard, a Representative from Kentucky; born in Augusta, Va. (now West Virginia), September 22, 1795; moved to Boone County, Ky., in early youth; received a thorough English training; studied law; was admitted to the bar and commenced practice in Walton, Ky.; volunteered for service in the War of 1812; represented Boone County for several years in the Kentucky legislature; served in the Mexican War as major in Gen. Thomas Marshall’s Kentucky Cavalry Brigade and also as aide-de-camp on the staff of Gen. Winfield Scott; captured at Incarnacion in January 1847 and was confined for several months in the City of Mexico; while in captivity was elected as a Whig to the Thirtieth Congress (March 4, 1847-March 3, 1849); unsuccessful candidate for reelection; appointed Governor of Oregon Territory in 1850 and served until the expiration of his term in 1853; resumed agricultural pursuits; died near Salem, Marion County, Oreg., December 9, 1857; interment in Odd Fellows Cemetery, Salem, Oreg.

Source: Biographical Directory of the United States Congress, 1771-Present, contributed by A. Newell.

 


H. W. CLOUD, M. D., A. M.

    JAMES C. CLOUD, the father of Dr. H. W. Cloud, was born in Boone County, Kentucky, in the year 1805, and was a farmer by occupation. He remained here until his marriage to Miss Susan Snyder, of the same county. Mr. Cloud soon afterward removed to Henderson County, and engaged in the family grocery business.

On the 7th of September, 1833, the subject of this sketch was born; and when about fifteen years of age, his parents went to Louisville, Kentucky, where he enjoyed excellent facilities in securing a common school education. Having a taste for books, and literary ambition, coupled with a determination to secure an education, he entered Asbury University with only twenty dollars to last him for four years. He remained here until the second term of his Senior year, when, with eight of his class, in the noted Rebellion of '56, he withdrew from Asbury, and graduated at the State University.

While at college, Dr. Cloud's favorite studies were Geology and Chemistry, and he pursued an after-graduate course in chemistry and medicine at the University of Kentucky, at Louisville. He received the degree of A. M. from Bloomington, and, in 1871, the same honorary degree from Asbury. For some time Dr. Cloud had charge of a select school at Owensboro: and his rare fund of information, his excellent literary qualities and genial disposition, made it a great success. He was speedily called to the Presidency of Henry Female College, at Newcastle, Kentucky. There is no doubt, had he chosen to follow his course, he would have gained high rank among the best professors and educators of the country. The college was in a most flourishing condition, with one hundred and fifty ladies in attendance, mostly from the South. The breaking out of the war interfered, however, with its further progress; and in 1862 Dr. Cloud left Kentucky and engaged in the retail drug business at Sullivan, Indiana. In 1865 he came to Evansville and engaged with his brother-in-law, Wm. M. Akin, Esq., in the wholesale drug business, and had complete control of the manufacturing department. As a practical chemist, Dr. Cloud has enjoyed rare success ; while his business ability and manly traits as a gentleman are well recognized in this section. He has followed his favorite study—Chemistry and its kindred subjects—with ardor all his life ; but not to the neglect of general literature and history. He is well versed in philological studies, and is a very fine Latin scholar, in particular. Dr. Cloud is an educated man and a gentleman of high worth, and has accomplished much for the educational interests of our city in his responsible position as President of the Board of Education. In '59 Dr. Cloud was married to Miss Sarah M. Akin, daughter of R. M. Akin, Esq., of Carlisle, Indiana. Three children have been born to them — two daughters and one son — the latter named in honor of the greatest of living scientists of the present generation—Faraday.

Source: Evansville and Its Men of Mark [Transcribed by Cathy Schultz; July 2010]


WILLIS HOWE

    Kentucky has sent many of her sons to people Indidiana, and that they performed a noble part in the history of the young State is fully shown by the records of the early pioneers. Willis Howe was born near Booue Lick, Boon County Kentucky, on the 9th of November, 1805, When fifteen years of age, his family settled in Gibson County, Indiana, near the present site ol Patoka. In 1818 the villages of Patoka and Princeton were nearly equal in population, and there was considerable strife between them, as to which should be the county-seat. At the age of nineteen he was apprenticed to a blacksmith at Princeton, and served four years. With nothing but his energy for capital, he started a blacksmith shop ; and for ovar twenty-seven years he worked faithfully at his forge, and succeeded in amassing a considerable estate. He served as justice of the peace four years, and was County Treasurer from 1832 to 1838.

In 1827 he was married to Miss Mary Minnis, daughter of Calvin Minnis, an old settler who had come to Indiana in 1811.

Of late his attention has been given to the care of a large farm, and the Gibson County National Bank, of which he has been, for some time, Vice-President. Though a resident of Princeton, Mr. Howe has labored for Evansville's railroad enterprises, and has aided energetically for the internal improvement of Southern Indiana. Though nearly seventy years of age, he is hard at work; and one would judge from his well, preserved physique that he is now in the prime of life.

Source: Evansville and Its Men of Mark [Transcribed by Cathy Schultz; July 2010]


ALBERT G. BRICE

Carrollton, LA (Orleans Parish)
Brice, Albert G., soldier, lawyer, jurist, was born March 17,1831, in Boone county, Ky. In 1856-57 he was a member of the Louisiana state legislature; and in 1858-62 was mayor of Carrollton, La. At the outbreak of the civil war he raised a company; and was commissioned major. Since 1901 he has been master in chancery of the United States circuit court. He is a fellow of the American association for the advancement of science.


[Source: Herringshaw's National Library of American Biography: Contains Thirty-five Thousand Biographies of the Acknowledged Leaders of Life and Thought of the United States, by William Herringshaw, 1909 – Transcribed by Therman Kellar]


RYLE FAMILY

During the autumn of 1790 two brothers James and John Ryle with their families, a sister and a colored slave left North Carolina for Boone County, following the Daniel Boone trail. James, Jr., age 9, a son of James Ryle, rode on a horse all the way behind the colored slave. They arrived at Tanner's Station, (Petersburg) in his fort, and while there a daughter was born to James Ryle and wife, (Polly Ann Ryle) undoubtedly the first white child born in Boone county. When she became grown she married William Presser, and was the mother of the late Hogan Presser.

In the spring of 1791 they left the fort at Petersburg and located near the mouth of Middle Creek, where they remained for about two years, but the land being swampy they contracted fever and were compelled to seek higher ground, purchasing from the government a great number of acres of hill land near Waterloo and Belleview at a low cost of 72 1/2 cents per acre. A great part of this land is still in possession of the Ryle family.

As a whole all the former immigrants to Boone County were religious, the Ryle's united with the Bullittsburg Baptist church, walking a distance of 14 miles to their church on Sunday, taking their dinner with them. This church was their place of worship until 1803, when the settlers along Middle Creek erected for themselves the old Middle Creek Baptist church. (Now called the Bellveiew Baptist church). A few of the settlers of Middle Creek in addition to the Ryle's were the Hogan's, Porter's, Pressor's, Campbell's, and John Marshall who had fought in the French and Indian wars and died at the ripe old age of 91 years Source: Excerpts History of Boone County, Kentucky. Covington, Ky.: W. Fitzgerald [Submitted by Barb Z]


LEONARD STEPHENS

Leonard Stephens was the younger of two boys and was born in Orange Co., Va., March 10th, 1791 and died in Boone County, Ky. March 8, 1873. With the aid of his father and brother John, he erected a fine colonial mansion on the Richardson pike not far from the Boone County line and at that time the residence was in Campbell county, as Kenton county was not organized until 1840.

When Mr. Stephens came here with his father in 1807 there was no Williamstown, Dry Ridge, Walton or Florence. Cincinnati had two brick buildings, two frame buildings and a few log cabins. Burlington had a log court house, a log jail and a few cabins. Where Covington is now located we find that Thomas Kennedy had a stone residence at what is now Second and Garrard Streets. Mr. Kennedy also operated the ferry across the Ohio River and transferred the soldiers who took part in the Indian raids. His craft consisted of row boats for foot passengers and the cost per person was 12 cents. For carrying horses across he used large flat boats controlled by oars. In 1823 when the side wheel or treadle came into use, this mode of transportation was used until 1833, when steam ferry boats were used. This was the best crossing for travel of the inhabitants over the Ridge Road for the central part of the State.

Mr. Stephens represented Campbell County in the lower House of the General Assembly from 1823 to 1826 and the counties of Campbell and Boone from 1829 to 1833 in the Senate.

Mr. Stephens built his large brick home on the Richardson Pike with the assistance of his lather and brother. The bricks were made by them and this mansion was the high spot (or Northern Kentucky politicians, who met with him in his mansion, then off to Big Bone Springs where the candidates for office would plan the strategy that was needed to become an office holder for the county or state. Big Bone Springs from 1815 up to 1845 was one of the best watering places and health resorts west of the Alleghany Mountains, an ideal place at the Clay Hotel (named for Henry Clay) for Mr. Stephens, who was always deeply engrossed in politics. When Kenton County was organized in 1840 he became the first high sheriff, he held the office of Justice of the Peace of Campbell County in 1839.

Mr. Stephens was a member of the old Dry Creek Baptist Church and took an active part in the proceedings of the Association, which was held there September 25 and 26, 1819. During April, 1855, letters of dismission were given to D. M. Scott, Benjamin Dulaney, Leonard Stephens, Henry Snyder, Salty Snyder, Polly Scott, and Louisanna Finch for the purpose of constituting a Church at Florence. We find later during the year 1855 seven others were dismissed in order that they might be received on application to the Florence Baptist Church The names of the messengers that requested admittance into the Association were Leonard Stephens and D. M. Scott We hither find that Mr. Stephens continued to represent the Florence Baptist Church as a Messenger to all the Baptist Association meetings until 1861.

Mr. Stephens died March 8, 1873 (aged 82). He was laid at rest in a family cemetery near the colonial residence he built. The residence is now gone and a brick bungalow adorns the site. Source: Excerpts History of Boone County, Kentucky. Covington, Ky.: W. Fitzgerald [Submitted by Barb Z]


CONN, Luther Henry, real estate dealer; born, Burlington, Boone Co., Ky., Mar. 14, 1842; son of Dr. James V. and Mary E. (Garnett) Conn; educated in private schools of Carrollton, Ky.; married, St. Louis, May 16, 1871, Louise G., daughter of Sir Charles Gibson; one daughter: Virgie May (Mrs. Frank V. Hammer). Served through Civil War in the Confederate army and attained rank of captain. Engaged in cotton planting at close of war; came to St. Louis, 1867, and went into real estate business under firm name of Conn & McRee. Became interested in several corporations, engaged largely in mining and milling and farmed extensively, having become owner of the celebrated and historical farm of Gen. U. S. Grant in St. Louis Co. Director several mining companies, and of the Tiger Tail Mill and Land Co. Democrat. Ex-president board of commissioners of Lafayette Park. Member of St. Louis Confederate Veterans. Office: 705 Olive St. Residence: 1728 Waverly Pl.  (Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)


 

Passing of a Centenarian

Senie POWERS was born in Boone county, Ky., May 13, 1821. Here she grew to womanhood, and on August 31, 1837, she was married to Wilford Hayden, of the same locality. In 1848 they emigrated to Missouri, locating in Montgomery county. They resided here until 1866, when they moved to Callaway county, remaining there until the death of the husband in 1890, since which time Mrs. Hayden has made her home with her daughter, Mrs. Alice Bishop, of Montgomery county. Her contribution to posterity is equaled by few, she being the mother of 12 children, 36 grand children, 13 great grand children, 1 great great grand children. Three of her children have passed away, and the remaining are as follows, T. G. Hayden, Mrs. Fannie McCord, Dalls, Ore.; Z. T. Hayden, San Francisco; Wilford Hayden, Phoenix,Ariz.; Mrs. Martha Clement, Long Beach, Calif.; Mrs. Elizabeth Keele, Robert S. Hayden, and Mrs. Alice Bishop of Montgomery county, and Mrs. J. J. Douglass of St. Louis.

Sister Hayden was converted and joined the Presbyterian church in Montgomery during the Civil War. In 1907 her membership was transferred to Bethel Methodist church near her home, where it remained till her death.

She has been an invalid for the past eight years, as a result of a paralytic stroke, but she bore her affliction with a patience such as “becometh the Saints of God”. Hers has been a remarkable life and her large number of off-springs rise up now and call her blessed.

She passed away November 25, 1920, aged 99 years, 6 months, and 12 days.

Funeral services were held in the Bethel church November 27 at 11 o’clock a.m., conducted by Rev. W. N. Giddens of Montgomery City, and the remains laid to rest in the cemetery near by.  [Montgomery Standard, December 3, 1920 - Submitted by Gail Hartman]

 

BACK
Copyright © Genealogy Trails