Lyon County Kentucky
Submitted by Jo Ann Scott - 2008
From the very beginning of the settlement of
Lyon County, the people have been very
conscious of the power of the church and the ability of the church to
better the community. Below are the short
histories of 43 churches of the County. Some of these have been
discontinued, some have been consolidated, some
have moved their location, and some are still on their original site.
The church doors of this county have always
been open to its citizens and all visitors and tourists are welcome.
Among the families connected with its early membership were: Rameys, Cummins, Thorpes, and Greshams.
Moulton continues to exist and progress with Friendship. Funds received from the sale of the church property were used to improve the Friendship building. Air conditioners, rest rooms, running water and new pews are among the improvements that made it modern and comfortable. More Sunday school rooms are now being built.
Rev. James N. Dill is the present pastor.
INDEPENDENT BIBLE BAPTIST CHURCH
The Independent Bible Baptist Church is
located on Pea Ridge on land purchased from
Charles Hester. The church was organized March 7, 1961.The charter
members of the church were: Elder B. J. Bland,
Luke Glass, Clay Bloodworth, Mr. and Mrs. Thomas Glass, Sue Glass, Mrs.
B. J. Bland, Maurine Chambers, Ray Fowler,
Mr. and Mrs. Orvil Fowler, Joyce Fowler, Madie Glass, Mr. and Mrs.
Jasper Gray, Arzetta Bloodworth, Cordie Mae
Bloodworth, Mr. and Mrs. R. C. Gray, Diane Chambers, and Glenn Chambers.
The first pastor was B. J. Bland, and John Hendon was the second and present pastor.
GLENN'S CHAPEL METHODIST CHURCH
The church was named in honor of Colonel
Samuel Glenn who came from Georgia in 1806
and settled on a large tract of land on which the church was afterward
Prior to the time of the organization of this church, there were societies in various neighborhoods in which those inclined to Methodism held meetings in the homes of the members.
Sometime during the year 1842, a church organization was effected in the home of Rev. William Stubbs, a local preacher. Those who organized the church were: William Stubbs, Mary Layton Jones, Minerva Stubbs, May Chandler, Mary Glenn, Almeda Glenn, Marcus Layton Baldwin, Theophilus Tomberlin, Polly Tomberlin, Sarah Graham, Richard A. Martin, Catharine Martin, Coleman Hughey, Sarah Hughey, Issac Davis, Eliza Bennett Glenn, Nancy Palmer, W. J. Palmer, Aquilla Baldwin, Matilda J. Brown, Jordan D. Jones, Bennett Langston, Malinda Lynn, and Benjamin N. Martin.
The first services were held in the log school house, but sometime later in the year 1848, the first church was built.
Colonel Glenn deeded to his son, Andrew C. Glenn, the land on which the church now stands, with the understanding that the ground on which the building was erected, was that conveyed to the trustees and their successors of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
The log church was torn down, and in 1873, a second church was built. Rev. W. S. Scobee, Presiding Elder of the district, preached the dedicatory sermon.
Some of the early ministers were: Revs. Fountain Pitts, James Owen, Randolph Taylor, McGown Reford, William Childress, Allison Aiken, T. C. Froge, W. S. Scobee, W. T. Reid, T. D. Lewis, and Riley Eades.
The second church building was torn down, and in 1927, a new frame church was built. The first service held in the new building was a Children's Day Program. The Rev. G. P. Dillum dedicated the church later that year.
Doom's Chapel is a small Methodist Chapel located near Kuttawa on Highway 641. After the Barkley Lake impoundment caused the relocation of this highway, the chapel lies within sight of the highway. A gravel road leads to the Chapel entrance.
Doom's Chapel is no longer used for regular church services, but the little chapel with its well-kept grounds reflects the love and care bestowed upon it by a small group of people whose family roots are deeply imbeded in the history of Lyon County. Most of them are descendants of the thirteen children of Mr. and Mrs. Benjamin Doom, who gave the land for the original church and cemetery.
BETHANY MISSIONARY BAPTIST CHURCH
The Bethany Missionary Baptist Church at
Confederate, Kentucky, was organized in 1871,
just six years after the end of the Civil War. It was organized at
Fowler School House and later moved to a new
building constructed on two acres of land donated by I. G. Gray.
Since the first records of the church were burned when the home of clerk, John Cannon, was destroyed by fire, a complete history is not available. The present sanctuary was erected in 1922, and redecorated in 1956. Recently rest rooms, nursery, and a partial kitchen were added to the building.
With the coming of the Barkley Dam Project, several members were forced from the community thus dropping the 196 membership of 1956 to 118 at the present time. Rev. Mac Anderson is presently serving as pastor with full-time service.
FIRST BAPTIST CHURCH OF KUTTAWA
On May 29, 1883, the following ministers met
in the home of Rev. J. L. Perryman for
the purpose of organizing themselves in a church of Jesus Christ: Revs.
R. W. Morehead, J. H. Sperlin, J. W. Oliver,
and Greyston. They formed themselves into a council and appointed R. W.
Morehead as moderator and J. H. Sperlin,
The charter members of the church were: Rev. J. L. Perryman, Nancy Perryman, Thomas T. Martin, M. A. Martin, Andrew J. Martin, Mary Martin, T. E. Alexander, Addie L. Alexander, and Josiah Board. The group was recognized as the United Baptist Church of Jesus Christ in Kuttawa by a vote of the council.
The present building consists of the original building which was built about 1900 with a hand-dug basement constructed in 1942. The latest addition was completed about ten years ago.
Plans are now in the making for a new church to be constructed in New Kuttawa.
Paradise Church was built in the winter of
either 1894 or 1895, and was dedicated
as a "Christian Union Church."
The land for this church was donated by B. F. Smith.
Some of the men who had a leading part in organizing and building it were: David Whalen, Daniel Whalen, Cass Whalen, David Hill, and Dr. J. M. Wilson.
The church which was located Between-the-Rivers has been discontinued.
Brandon Chapel was built in 1894 or 1895 on
land donated by B. F. Smith. It was located
Some of the men who took an active role in organizing this church were B. F. Smith, E. L. Smith, Dr. J. M. Wilson, A. L. Boon, and J. L. Pegram.
Brandon Chapel was abandoned 30 or more years ago. Its members were transferred to Pisgah Methodist Church
SUWANEE FURNACE MISSIONARY BAPTIST CHURCH
Suwanee Furnace Missionary Baptist Church is
located 2?2 miles west of New Kuttawa
and about 2/10 miles off Highway 62 and 641. It is located on the site
of the old Suwanee Furnace, for which the
church was named. The church was organized in 1935 or 1936. Prior to
that the church services were held under a
big tree near where the church stands. The present church was dedicated
in May 1937. The first pastor was Rev.
J. W. Barefield. There were approximately 25 members when the church was
The present pastor is Rev. David Brasher. There are 114 members.
LAKE VIEW GOSPEL TABERNACLE
The building of a non-denominational house of
worship was set as a goal by Mr. S.
M. Martin more than 20 years ago at which time he invested his savings
in Government bonds, and earmarked the proceeds
for such a building.
It is a non-sectarian institution for community center or public gatherings and was completed in the latter part of 1962.
The land for the building was purchased from R. S. Mason in 1947, and is located on the eastern end of what is commonly known as Mineral Mound, between the old towns of Eddyville and Kuttawa.
The building is flanked on one side by a roofed pavilion for use during the summer months.
The members of the Kuttawa Methodist Church used this church during the months their church was being relocated in Kuttawa. They feel deeply indebted to Mr. Martin for his generosity.
FRIENDSHIP METHODIST CHURCH
Because fire destroyed the old homestead of
Charlie Cummins, most of the original
records of the founding of the Friendship Church were lost.
The land on which the present building now stands and the cemetery was given by N. H. Cummins. The exact date is unknown, but it was
sometime in the late 1850's. It was first built to accommodate all Circuit Rider Preachers, although in a short time a Methodist church was organized and thus began the Friendship Methodist Episcopal Church, South. Name of the first pastor is unknown, but two of the early pastors were James Lucius and Elder E. Pate.
The following list is not exact as far as being charter members, but it is the oldest list available:
Mrs. Martha F. Cummins
Mrs. Sarah Moneymaker
Mr. and Mrs. W. H. Nicholas
Mr. and Mrs. Simon Cummins
Mr. and Mrs. W. J. Crow
Mrs. Zarilda Prince
Mr. and Mrs. J. B. Robinson
Mr. and Mrs. Henry Cummins
Mr. and Mrs. Jack Holland
Mr. and Mrs. J. W. Chambers
Mr. and Mrs. H. W. Blanks Friendship Church was rebuilt in 1908. The present membership is 106, and the pastor is Rev. James N. Dill.
After the Church Covenant was read and adopted on a motion made by Brother John Waters, the church was given the name Mt. Zion. The following were some of the first members: Brother Eugene Vied, R. C. Forsythe, J. M. Mitchell, Mary Vied, Sarah Springs, Tom Springs, Alvie Springs, Bertha Rogers, Lillis Rogers, and Cornelia Boyd.
In 1947, the old church was torn down, and a white frame building replaced it. The following were the pastors from 1906 to the present:
J. W. Oliver - 1906
J. W. Hanson - 1935
Sam Wes? - 1908
Rodolph Lane - 1943
H. A. Egbert - 1911
E. L. McConnell - 1945
R. C. Ramey - 1914
Henry Rowland - 1948
Bro. Herndon - 1921
E. L. McConnell - 1950
Z. Cannon - 1922
Robert Grey - 1953
N. B. Sizemore - 1928 (?)
Bob Litton - 1957
M. R. Ramey - 1930
Jerrell White - 1961
LAMASCO MISSIONARY BAPTIST CHURCH
The first Lamasco Baptist Church was
established in 1871 and originated from the Rockspring
Baptist Church. It was located on Highway No. 93
beside the old Lamasco school house, and burned in 1916. In 1922 the Lamasco Baptist purchased from the Methodist a church which stood on the site of the present Baptist church for $200. A new church was erected and dedicated in 1923.
Since the rebuilding of the church, there have been three major improvements. In 1951, while Rev. Chester Moore was pastor, there were seven Sunday school rooms added to the church, which until then had consisted only of an auditorium. Again in 1957, while Rev. Harold Stub-blefield was pastor, there were four additional Sunday school rooms added. In 1963, under the present pastor, Rev. Wallace Gray, an educational building was added to the church.
The present trustees of the church are: Charles Fergerson, Dallas Thompson, and Hershel Wynn.
The five active deacons of the church are: Norvell Cotton, Young Mc-Carty, Robert Lee Wynn, Hershel Wynn, Dallas Thompson, and Martin Oliver. Mr. J. I. Lester is a retired deacon and the only one still active in the church. Other living retired deacons are Mr. Earnest Thompson and Mr. Luther Gray.
The Lamasco Missionary Baptist Church has a present membership of 159.
CHESTNUT OAK METHODIST CHURCH
The first church in this community was known
as Henson Chapel. It was built in 1859
on land donated by Hugh and James Henson. A day was set aside for a log
rolling and a basket dinner, and the church was started.
That building was replaced in 1877 by a frame building on land donated by W. T. Chandler. Then the church became known as Chestnut Oak. This building was swept away by a tornado, and was replaced by another frame building. This second frame building was destroyed by fire in March of 1934. A concrete block building was then erected and served the community until it was purchased by the Corps of Engineers.
The present modern brick structure was built in 1959.
Chestnut Oak was first a member of the Eddyville Circuit until the circuit was divided in 1877, and then it became a member of the Kuttawa Circuit.
KUTTAWA METHODIST CHURCH
The Methodist Church in Kuttawa was organized
about the year of 1877. The first church
meetings were held in the homes of the members. Their only preacher was
a Circuit Rider Preacher, named W. T. Reid.
The first church, built in 1884 on Oak Street, was named Centenary Chapel Methodist Church. The first pastor, Rev. W. L. Cashman, was called in 1885.
The following is a list of some of the early members;
Mrs. Nancy Hammond - 1877
Mr. and Mrs. H. C. Cobb - 1883
Mrs. Mary C. Sedberry - 1877
Mrs. James Rier - 1882
Mrs. Lissian Glenn - 1882
Mrs. Kate Harlsen - 1885
The original church building was used by the
people of Kuttawa until 1955, when a
new building of English design was constructed. The church building has
been moved to New Kuttawa because of the
impounding of the Barkley Dam.
In 1939 or 1940, the Pennecostal Full Gospel
Church was built in the Yale Community
on land donated by a man named Gentry. The church burned two years after
it was built, but services were continued
on the same site under a tent or shed. Later the following men:
Pinnegar, Woodruff, Wallace, Timmons, Watson, and
Nickols, bought land from a man named Young for the purpose of building
another church. In 1963, the church was
remodeled by the members.
The present pastor is Harold Hatfield.
The building of Hawthorne Chapel, the first
church in Kuttawa, was started in 1879;
and on November 21, 1880, it was finished. The church was of
Presbyterian denomination. On December 14, 1880, the
church was dedicated.
The church building, having a very high pointed roof with exposed beams in its interior and a beautiful high steeple on its outside front was patterned after a church in Scotland.
The Scottish church had been seen by Governor Charles Anderson, founder of Kuttawa, when he visited Scotland. Anderson and his wife, Eliza, so admired the church that Eliza set about to gain support for the construction of such a building in Kuttawa.
Because there was no church in the city, no Presbyterian church in the county and because the area's population promised to grow, the support Eliza sought was not hard to find.
Governor Anderson gave the land upon which both the church and manse were built.
On the committee for the church were William C. O'Hara, John Espie, and Joseph Holmes. The church's name was derived from Brother Hawthorne of Princeton, Kentucky.
Some of Hawthorne Chapel's pastors were: Bro. A. J. Thompson, who served between 30 and 40 years, Dr. Price, and Dr. Barr.
The church Bible was printed in 1880. It was a Holman's Edition.
The church, after many prosperous years, was forced to close early in the 1950's because its membership had dwindled to a number too small to support it. It was, however, undeniably, for many years Kuttawa's foremost place of worship.
In 1938 and 1939, Bro. J. P. Sanders held meetings at Kuttawa Springs, and in 1939 Bro. Keifer of Nashville, Tennessee, began preaching in the County Court House one Sunday each month. The meetings were held in the Court House until January 1941 when the first floor of the Masonic Building in Eddyville was rented. Bro. Charles Lancaster was the first full time minister for this church.
When the Kentucky Dam was impounded, flooding Birmingham, Kentucky, the Birmingham congregation gave their building to the Eddyville congregation. The building was torn down and reconstructed in Kuttawa.
The impounding of Barkley Dam caused the Kuttawa building to become isolated; therefore, a new building was constructed in New Eddyville on a lot given to the church by Mr. Lee Jones. It was completed in September 1961.
MARTIN'S CHAPEL METHODIST CHURCH
Martin's Chapel Methodist Church, once a
growing little country church, was built
on donated land. The church was located on the old Harper's Ferry Road,
later called the Iuka Ferry Road. According
to available records, in 1924 there were 44 members. In 1947, a new
Kuttawa Methodist Circuit was organized. This
circuit was composed of Martin's Chapel, Glenn's Chapel, Chestnut Oak,
and Fairview Churches with Rev. Clyde Walker
as the circuit's first minister. In October, 1955, the nine members of
Martin's Chapel Methodist Church held their
WOODSON CHAPEL METHODIST CHURCH
The original church, named after Rev. W. W.
Woodson, was built of logs, had puncheon
seats and was used as a school house. This church gave way, and a new
church made of plank was built in its place.
This new plank church also served as a school, having a blackboard of
planed planks painted black.
Logs for the present structure were assembled by Rev. J. S. Richardson. The building was started in approximately 1913 and was completed in 1915
by Rev. Henry Gillette, on land given by Mrs. Alva Gray, and dedicated by Brother Brandon.
The Methodist churches in the communities Between-the-Rivers used the same minister. They did this by each church having him one Sunday out of every month.
Since the land in the Woodson Community has been bought by the government for the Barkley Lake, the church has been discontinued, but the cemetery is still in use.
FAIRVIEW METHODIST CHURCH
Fairview Methodist Church was organized about
1892. The church was well established
by 1895. Many of the members came from the old Providence Church, which
was located near the Providence cemetery.
Some of the first members of the church were: Mr. and Mrs. C. C. Glasgow, Jeanie and Georgie Glasgow, Mr. and Mrs. Willie Lewis, Mr. Stubbs. The present pastor is Rev. L. R. Bottoms.
SARATOGA METHODIST CHURCH
The Saratoga Methodist Church is located on
Highway 62 between Eddyville and Princeton.
This church has a very historic background in connection with the Civil
The property on which the church and cemetery is located was deeded by Benjamin and Nancy Ogden to the trustees in 1822.
The first church built on this property was of logs and stood on the hill directly above the present church. The present building was built in 1859, and remodeled in 1909. The original name, Reed's Chapel or Reed's Campground, was later changed to Saratoga. This church and the surrounding ground served as a battleground during the Civil War, two battles being fought there. Bullet holes may still be seen in the walls as evidence of this conflict
Early in 1861, the church was used as headquarters for approximately 150 Confederate soldiers who were being trained by Captain Wilcox.
In April 1861 these Confederates were surprised by Union soldiers, and two Confederates were" killed. Dr. Price, the first soldier to be killed on Kentucky soil, took his stand directly in front of the church in a tobacco warehouse. The other soldier, Crunch from Dycusburg, was killed attempting to escape while crossing the fence surrounding the cemetery. The prisioners were taken by gunboat down the Cumberland to Smithland and Paducah.
The second battle was near the close of the war. This time the Union Regiment numbering 300, under the command of Captain Oglesby, waged a battle with 18 Confederates. In this battle, the Union lost 11 men and many
were wounded; the Confederates lost only one. The dead and wounded were carried into the church which served as a hospital and a morgue.
The church has been remodeled now, but it's vivid history can neither be remodeled or replaced. This Methodist church, one of the oldest in the county, has a membership of 150, and the pastor is the Rev. William Price.
HEBRON BAPTIST CHURCH
The Hebron Baptist Church was organized August
7, 1871, by Rev. Milt Cocral. The first
meeting was held under a large hickory tree near where the present
church is located. The people met in the old
Martin's school house. Later, Mr. Alex Walker donated land for the
The first building was of logs. The dedication sermon was delivered by Rev. Milt Cocral. There were 24 members in the beginning, eight of whom were: Mr. and Mrs. Jeb McKinney, Mr. and Mrs. A. M. Duran, Virginia Hobson, Sara Robertson, and Mr. and Mrs. Curen Peek.
The log church was used for several years, then torn down and replaced by a large frame building. Since the building consisted of one large room, it was called the "Big Church." This building was destroyed by fire in the fall of 1908. This building was not replaced until 1911, when a third church was built. Because it was smaller than the "Big Church," it was referred to as the "Little Church." This building was torn down in 1924 and replaced by the present building. It is a white frame building, with auditorium and an educational department.
In 1913, Hebron was a member of the Little River Association, J. D. Woodson was the pastor and the membership was 69. The present membership is 162, and the pastor is the Rev. Luke Watson.
NEW BETHEL BAPTIST CHURCH
The New Bethel Baptist Church in Lyon County,
was constituted of 23 members in the
home of John Cammack on April 4, 1812. Their names were: John Stone,
Moses Arnold, John Duncan, Stephen Bennett,
John Mc-Elroy, Andrew Jones, Elizabeth Jones, Nancy Stone, Martha
Sullivant. John Stone, Jr., George Owens, Samuel
Hill, Polly Hill, Joseph Cobb, Ann Cobb, William Jones, Morning Stone,
John Aldridge, William Chandler, Nancy Arnold,
and two named Pertle, whose initials are not given. The preachers who
took part in this organization were James
Ruker, Washington Thurman, and Daniel Brown. The church had no regular
pastor for the first sixteen years but was
served by various licensed and ordained ministers of this section.
In January 1828, Elder James W. Mansfield became New Bethel's first pastor and served until 1854, a period of 25 years.
Elder Seldon Y. Trimble was pastor during the Civil War. Elder R. W.
Morehead served for twenty-six years. His was the longest pastorate held.
New Bethel has had three houses of worship. The first one was built in 1824, on a plot of ground given by Larkin Bennett. This meeting house being small, was enlarged in 1828; then it burned in 1831. The second meeting house was constructed of brick in 1832, on a lot, given by Leasil Stone, located about one mile north of the site of the first house. This second meeting house served the people for 120 years, but was torn down in 1952, and the present house was built on the same site. The present meeting house was dedicated in November 1961. New Bethel has held membership in two associations, in Little River Association from 1913 until Caldwell Association was formed in 1924. Since then it has been a part of Caldwell Association.
The present membership is 157 and the pastor is Rev. J. W. Crowley.
PLEASANT HILL CHURCH
A Sunday school was organized in the Hickory
Chapel school house under Garrett Reid,
assistant and John Waters, superintendent. In the following May, 1890,
the church was organized. S. S. West, Ida
West, Sally Browning, and Sally West were the first candidates for
baptism as the result of the revival held in
the Hickory Chapel school house. Bro. Jim Oliver baptized them. The
charter members were as follows: John Waters,
S. S. West, William Waters, Charlie Davis, George Jones, J. P. Hall,
Pete Purtle, Sally West, Sally Moneymaker,
Sally Browning, Ida West, and George Jones.
Through the faithful work of Bros. J. P. Hall, John Waters, and others the church was organized. Elder John Spurlin delivered the ordination sermon. After the ordination, the church was given the name of Pleasant Hill by Bro. Jimmy Spurlin. Then Elder Jim Oliver was received as pastor (no salary). Years passed and the organized body built, on the land of Bro. J. P. Hall and Elder Jim Oliver, a house for the Lord's worship. Men and members donated lumber for the purpose. Those donating were: Brothers Will Scott, Henry Pierce, John Stovall, John Fitts, and J. P. Hall
The foundation was laid about the year 1892 by Elder Henry Marshall. The church was finished in 1898 and dedicated in the early fall of the same year. The church has progressed in members from fifteen to about one hundred fifty-one at the present time.
Some of the early pastors were Elder Cal Roberts, Elder Ed Perryman, and Elder Henry Marshall. Morehead and J. J. Richie preached in the absence of a pastor for about five years.
This brief history was given by Bro. William Waters to the best of his knowledge on September 9, 1938.
The original church building was rebuilt in 1927. In 1946, two Sunday school rooms were added, and in 1960, two more were built.
LIBERTY BAPTIST CHURCH
(Taken from New Bethel's records "October 14,
1854. At the request of E. D. Drennan,
Rev. E. A. Faress, William H. Young, E. Stone, R. S. Dobson, and William
I. Kinsolving were appointed a committee, whose duty
it shall be to attend with the brethren on next Monday, near Bradley's old place and aid in the organization of a church.")
On the following Monday, October 16, 1854, Liberty Baptist Church was organized with nine members, five of whom were: E. D. Drennan, Margaret Rich, Julia Rich, Elishu Duncan, and Susannah Duncan.
The first church building was log and stood inside the present cemetery fence. Splitting the cemetery in the middle, the church stood close to the middle of the left side, near a big cedar tree where G. W. Hiett and Elizabeth Hiett are buried. Facing north, the church had one large room, two doors, (one in each side wall), and a few windows. The part of the cemetery on the left side of the road was used as "hitching ground."
Services were held twice a month; every Saturday before fourth Sunday.
Around 1884 or 1885, the second building was completed and the log church was torn down.
Rev. John L. Pereman was pastor when the second church was built. Mr. Billy Cash was the contractor and the members donated their help. While building the church, the workers noticed that the building had begun to spread apart and two iron support rods were put through the building to hold it together. The church paid out of debt January 25, 1899. This building was used until 1956.
On Thanksgiving Day, 1954, members started building the new church. On the same day of the following year, the church was completed. In May 1956, the old church was disposed of, and the first services were held in the new church in October.
THE FIRST BAPTIST CHURCH OF EDDYVILLE
(Taken from cornerstone)
The First Baptist Church of Eddyville was constituted in 1856. The first pastor was S. Y. Goin. The last record of the original organization was August 1873. The church was reorganized in 1902. From that date until May 24, 1905, the members met in the office of the First National Bank of Eddvville. Soon a church was built and in 1937, an educational building was added.
On May 6, 1959, the members of the church voted to build a new church in the new townsite of Eddyville. Rev. R. G. Shelton was pastor at that time.
The present membership is 450. Rev. R. G. Shelton is pastor.
EDDYVILLE METHODIST CHURCH
One of the earliest Methodist meetings was
held in the kitchen of Matthew Lvon's home
with the chief speaker a Negro slave named Richard. Another slave, Aunt
Chloe, also helped interest people in Christianity.
It was after the meetings in Colonel Lyon's kitchen that the Methodist Circuit rider, Rev. Peter Cartwright, came to Eddyville and with the help of a few people established a Methodist church in approximately 1810-however, it did not appear as an appointment in the General Minutes of the Methodist Church until 1844. At this time, the church was served by the Livingston Circuit.
The first church building was located adjacent to the present home of Ambrose Miller and just west of Matthew Lyon's home where Mrs. Earle Barnett's apartment now stands. The Methodist Church stood there until 1854.
The bell which is in the present church has hung in each Methodist church in turn except the first one for which it was purchased. It was bought in Pittsburgh and donated by a prominent member named Stacker, who had it sent to Eddyville by boat. However, the janitor who lived on Franklin Street hung the bell in a tree in his yard instead of the church tower above Big Spring for reasons unknown.
The church burned while the bell was still hanging in the yard of the janitor and thus the bell was saved from the fire. A new church was constructed in 1854. When this church was sold to the Episcopalians, and a new church built on Franklin Street, the bell was moved to the new building.
This church was used for services until 1923. The church that was built then was used until 1962. Because of the Barkley Dam impoundment, a new church was built and dedicated in the new townsite in 1962. The same bell has been moved to the new church and is hung in its little tower on the church grounds once again.
The present pastor of the church is Rev. F. M. Glover, who was appointed in 1958.
LOCUST GROVE BAPTIST CHURCH
The Locust Grove Baptist Church was the first
colored church organized in Lyon County.
It was organized in 1884. The first location of this church was in old
Kuttawa, but it has been moved to New Kuttawa.
FREE WILL BAPTIST CHURCH
The Free Will Baptist Church is referred to as
the church on the hill. It is located
in Old Kuttawa. This church was organized in 1923.
ELM GROVE BAPTIST CHURCH
The Elm Grove Baptist Church is located in
Lyon County and was organized in 1923.
MOUNT PLEASANT FREE BAPTIST CHURCH
The Mount Pleasant Free Baptist Church was the
first colored church organized Between-the-Rivers.
It was established in 1938. At present it has 52 members and the pastor
is Rev. Albert Makin.
PILGRIM REST MISSIONARY BAPTIST CHURCH
The Pilgrim Rest Missionary Baptist Church is
located in the Between-the-Rivers section
of Lyon County. This church was organized in 1953. At present it has 28
members. The pastor is Rev. Ervin Brown.
MACEDONIA BAPTIST CHURCH
The present church building of Macedonia
Baptist Church was built and dedicated in
the year of 1850. There was a log church that had been used several
years before this, but there are no definite
records of this church.
The first church was a large one-room building. The choir and pulpit were at the head of the church as one entered. Then in 1955, when Rev. Bill Sullivan was pastor, the church was remodeled and four Sunday school rooms were built onto the back of the building and the pulpit and choir was reversed to the far end of the church.
The oldest records of the church date back to 1890. Ministers from 1904 up to today are as follows: Rev. Lockhart, Rev. Hopewell, Rev. J. S. Henry, Rev. T. C. Clark, Rev. Rube Marshall, Rev. Greogory, Rev. C. C. McKinney, Rev. W. W. Woodson, Rev. H. A. Egbert, Rev. O. M. Shultz, Rev. Lester Terrell, Rev. Reid Rushing, Rev. M. F. Robertson, Rev. H. W. Jones, Rev. Henry Ramy, Rev. Bill Sullivan, Rev. J. R. Puckett, Rev. Loyd Per-rin, and Rev. E. E. Vaughn.
From 1957 to 1961 Rev. J. R. Puckett was pastor. During this time, the church built a parsonage about one-half mile from the church. The land was given for the parsonage by Emmett McKinney.
Today, the little country church still thrives with 306 members. Rev. E. E. Vaughn is pastor.
HOPEWELL MISSIONARY BAPTIST CHURCH
Hopewell Church was organized on Saturday
before the 4th Sunday in August 1892. The
land for the church was donated by Mr. and Mrs. R. W. Gray, on the spot
where the church now stands, in the year
Before the church was built, meetings were held at people's homes until spring, then they built a brush arbor under a big white oak tree on the church ground, and held Sunday school until fall. By this time they were ready to start holding services in the new church. In May 1894, Hopewell Church was dedicated as a Missionary Baptist Church and joined the Ohio Valley Association.
The charter members at the time of organization were: Mr. R. W. Gray, Sarah Gray, Mr. and Mrs. Tom Cannon, Mrs. Mamie Cannon, Lucian Gray, Clarence Gray, Mr. and Mrs. Will Bragdon, Jessie Bragdon, Mr. and Mrs. Jimmie Yates, Mr. and Mrs. Tom Whitset, Mr. and Mrs. John Gatewood, Walker Bennett, and Mitchell Yates.
SARDIS METHODIST CHURCH
Sardis, the oldest church in the Carmack area,
was founded about 125 years ago. The
original structure of logs was built on land given by Benjamin Benberry,
2 miles southwest of the present location.
This log building was moved near the present site and was used also as a
school house. Later it burned. The present
sanctuary was built in 1905 by Mr. W. A. Stephens on land he gave for
the church and adjoining cemetery. Mr. Stephens
was the first person buried in the cemetery. Some of the first members
were. Bob MacDonald, Garland Bonner, Fine
Stephens, Elisha Bridges, and Joe MacDonald.
At the time when the second church of Sardis was built, they used a system that they called a "Circuit." The Sardis Circuit consisted of four churches. They were: Sardis, Pisgah, Woodson, and Hematite. These churches elected a pastor who preached at each church one Sunday each month.
Some of the pastors were:
|Brother Richardson||Ray Bell||Calvin Cornelius|
|Faunt Sanders||Bob MacDonald||Jack Kenny|
|Brother Bogard||Clyde Walker||Estes Cullison|
|Sam Yantsey||C. R. Luton||Brother Pullen|
|Benjamin Thomas||Walter Pates||Virgil Parish|
PISGAH METHODIST CHURCH
The exact date of the beginning of the Pisgah
Methodist Church is unknown but is believed
to have dated back to before the beginning of the Civil War. The land
where the first log church was erected was
donated by Holloway Collie to be used as long as church was held there,
but the land was to go back to his heirs
if the church was abandoned.
In 1894, during the pastorate of Rev. Robert Johnson, father of Governor Keen Johnson, a large frame church building was erected on the site that is now Pisgah Bay. In 1940 this building and lot were sold to the TVA and the site is now covered by water from the Kentucky Lake.
In 1942, G. U. Griffin, former merchant of Star Lime Works and now resident of Princeton, donated a church site where a new frame building with a basement was erected and now stands as the present church six miles east of Grand Rivers on Highway 453. Since 1960, the church has built three new Sunday school rooms and redecorated the auditorium.
Some of the first church leaders were: R. B. Collie, George D. Griffin. W. J. Nickell. David Hill, and T. B. Griffin. Trustees of the church at present are: Noble Orr, Frank DePriest, and Jerry Orr.
The descendants of David Hill and R. B. Collie are still active in the church.
This year, 1964, the church membership voted to relocate the church at Lake City since it will be purchased for the new Recreation Area. This move was made because no one was in favor of disbanding the church, but voted to build a new one in hopes that many of the old members could relocate near it also.
METHODIST COLORED CHURCH
The Methodist Colored Church is located in
Eddyville, Kentucky, on Highway 62 on Donavan
Street. The church was founded around 1884, and its first pastor was
Rev. J. B. Franklin. The church was purchased
by the Corps of Engineers, and the former congregation now attend church
ST. STEPHENS CATHOLIC CHURCH
St. Stephens Catholic Church is located in the
Between-the-Rivers section of Lyon
County. The church was begun in 1900 and completed in 1917
on land donated by Joe Emberger. This church was organized under the leadership of Father Odendell.
In 1938-1939 the church was rebuilt on the original site.
The little church now stands alone on its hilltop. The statues have been taken down, but the niches remain where they were. The windows are broken, but otherwise the church is in good condition.
CARMACK BAPTIST CHURCH
Carmack Baptist Church is located one-half
mile from the old Sardis school. The church
was dedicated in 1922. Charter members were: Mr. and Mrs. W. J. Holland,
Mr. and Mrs. William McDonald, Mr. and
Mrs. Le-land Ramage, Mr. and Mrs. Lee Ramage, Mr. and Mrs. Luther
Harper, and Mrs. Bobbie Payne. Mr. J. A. Holland
furnished a large part of the building materials and aiso helped build
the church. Rev. R. C. Ramey was the first
pastor. The church burned in 1963. Since then most of the members have
joined with the Bethlehem Baptist Church.
THE CROSS ROAD BAPTIST CHURCH
The Cross Road Baptist Church is located at
the cross of Highway 58 and the old river
road, three miles from the Eddyville Ferry.
In 1943 a group of people led by Mr. Alfred Fox and Rev. David Rowland started a fund raising campaign to build the Cross Road Baptist Church. From 1943 to 1946 these people assembled for worship in a shed located in the corner of Dixon Cemetery. In 1945 the land was purchased from O. H. Higgins and the building was started. The church, deeply in debt, was finished in 1946. The members selected Rev. Marvin Ramey as its full time pastor. By 1951 the church was free of debt and was at that time dedicated. The charter members were: Daniel Fox, Marguerite Fox, Alfred Fox, Hallie Fox, Eugene Fox, Nadine Fox, Ramona Fox, Howard Barnett, Valeria Bar-nett, Alfrieda Fox, Jack Wells, Ruth Rowland, Louise Rowland, and R. V. Ramey.
The Three Rivers Association credits this church with giving more young ministers their chance in the ministerial field than any other church in the association. Among these young ministers were: Ish Pitchie, G. L. Sullivan, James Robert Duncan, Walter Johnson, and Donald Moore.
This church now has a membership of 80.
BETHLEHEM BAPTIST CHURCH
Bethlehem Baptist Church was first organized
in 1872 by a group of citizens who met
on the Wyatt farm (near Leslie Cothran's farm). The church was built off
of State Highway 58 in approximately 1873
on land donated by the DeGraffenrieds.
Bethlehem (still the original building) now has 69 enrolled in Sunday school and approximately 75 church members.
The present pastor is Bro. Ronald Rhoddus; deacon, Leslie Cothran; treasurer and clerk, Perry Calhoun; and the Sunday school superintendent is Jackie Cothran.
Copyright © Genealogy Trails