1841- No one outside the pioneer circle can ever
realize with what natural beauty of coloring, the
sublime and ridiculous were blended in each marriage
scene of early years. There are few, indeed, who
remember those ceremonies and actors of 1841, and to
this circle the following list must be a pleasant
January 17- James Sallee and Margaret Gilbert, by Samuel G Briggs; minister of the gospel.
March 07- John Stager and Susan Piles
March 18- William Willis and Polly Ricenon, by Jeremiah Grogan, Justice of the Peace.
March 28- Zachariah Rood and Mary Ann Dilman, by Jeremiah Grogan, Justice of the Peace.
April 11- William McGrew and Harriet Palmertree, by Othmiel Bacus, Justice of the Peace.
April 25- Nelson Yates and Amanda Laughlin, by Samuel C Bryan, Minister of the Gospel.
In May- Jacob C March and Harriet Kelly, by William V Ripley, Justice of the Peace
June 19- Adam Doan and Dosia Sloan, by A.T. Hill, Minister of the Gospel.
June 23- Daniel Comcilson and Rebecca Bean, by William J Cook, Justice of the Peace.
June 28- Salsberry Miller and Sarah F--, by William Hendren, Justice of the Peace.
July 01- John Morgan and Denisa West, by William J Cook, Justice of the Peace.
July 03- Andrew Mote and Susannah Crain, by A. Still, Minister of the Gospel.
July 15- Erastus Rice and Amanda Mason, by Thomas S Wright, Justice of the Peace.
August 12- Lewis Carpenter and Julia Ann Bruce, by Thomas Partin, Justice of the Peace.
September 02- David A Ely and Ann Jones, by John S Morrow, Justice of the Peace.
September 03- Stephen T. Spalding and Susan Wilson, by H. Ostangenbert, Catholic Priest.
October 03- Littleton H Conklin and Julia Ely, by Thomas S Wright, Justice of the Peace.
October 13- Benjamin Musgrove and Katharine Humphreys, by William J Cook, Justice of the Peace.
December 02- Hansford Wilscher and Amanda Jane Sneed, by A.S. Bryan.
December 18- John Wilson and Hannah Comeilson, by Spencer Grogan, Justice of the Peace.
The marriage of Missouri Evans with Levan Dean took place at John Dean's house prior to 1841, or about the time Barnhart promised to marry Mary Speers in Ohio. It appears that in 1840 one Archibald Barnhart promised to marry one Mary Speers. Her parents prevented his letters reaching her, and believing she was forgotten, she married Samuel G Daines, who died in Adair County in 1877. The promise to marry was given near Athens, Ohio, in 1840, and fulfilled near Kirksville, Mo., December 22, 1881, when Squire L.D. Lay united the old, old lovers.
submitted by Dawn Minard, 04/05/2013
History of Adair, Sullivan, Putnam and Schuyler
Pioneers. - The first settlement of Adair County was made in 1828 by Tames Myers, Isaac and Stephen Gross, Nathan Richardson, Reuben Myrtle and a single man named Gupp. They settled on the farms of George and Philip Cain and King Collet, six miles west of Kirksville. At that time the red man and wild animals were the principal occupants of the country west of the ridge, while eastward, on the prairie and openings, the buffalo and deer found a pleasant home. The nearest settlement was that of James Loe, down in what is now Macon County. Shortly after the above named men came in they wore joined by Canady Owensby, William Taylor, David E. Sloan, William Parcels and son, W. H. Parcels, Josiah Rogers and Abe Earhart. William Parcels came on horseback from Kentucky in 1838, and in 1839 brought his family, and settled on tho west side of the Chariton, three miles below Sloan's Point In 1838 Canady Owensby settled on the farm where he resided in 1882, being the only one of that set who held the old homo. In 1840 D. E. Sloan settled west of the North Missouri Railroad, and built the house in which Mrs. Murphy resided. Ho opened the first trading house in this district in front of where W. L. Grigg, now of Kansas, resided, hauling salt, flour, powder and lead from Hannibal, which he traded for hides and produce. Withrow opened another trading house just north of Kirksville. Early in 1829 the Cliftons, Cains (John Cain, father of George, hitherto mentioned) and Robert Miller arrived—some with their families, some came simply as prospectors to look the ground over. John Cain bought the claims of the Myers family, about 1,000 acres, for $20, and one claim for a pair of shoe leathers. Col. Jones, John Cain and Clifton brought with them hand mills, and when Cain's first crop of wheat was harvested and a few bundles threshed, the powerful daughters of Robert Miller and Col. Jones, four remarkable pioneer girls, assisted the female head of the Cain family to sift the flour through thin cotton stretched over a piece of Buckeye bark just pealed from the tree for that purpose. The flour obtained was not sufficient to make bread for this harvest company, so it was made into a flour pudding. Jack Floyd, a ranger of Adair County, early in the thirties, was killed at the raising of Tribue's mill in Clark County. He it was who killed the dreaded wolf of the St Francisville trail. Together with Floyd, several hunters and trappers, working directly for P. Chouteau & Co. among the Sacs and Foxes, were known here at that day. Andrew Bozarth and his sons, with Isaac Parton, came here in 1830, leaving their families in Howard County. That year they made an attempt at a clearing, and planted some corn in Pettis Township, where the Brookfield bank robbers were captured some years ago. This son is now a resident of Liberty Township, and he remembers distinctly that the Bozarth family arrived the following year, settling near the corn patch. In 1832 young Bozarth had charge of a pack-horse and accompanied the troops sent hither to protect the settlement. At this time he was only nine years of age, and had the experience of being lost for one night in the forest. Among the tragic events of pioneer times was the death of Avington Bozarth, by drowning in the Chariton River. In 1833 Hiram Bozarth came to this county, preceded by Thomas Parton and Isaac Hargis. In the summer of 1832 a block-house was constructed on the Cain farm, where King Collet now resides, and a smaller one on the ridge at Long Point, just outside the city limits of Kirksville.
following story is related of the only veteran of
the Revolution who has ever been known to reside
here. This was about 1832. His
name was John Lay, who was accompanied by his wife
and son, the latter a
gray-haired and tottering old man. They halted at
the William Horton cabin to
ask some questions, when the latter related his
surprise at such an old, old
man being on the road to the west. " Yes “ replied
Lay, Jr., " I am
pretty old, but I had to come a long way to keep
father and mother company; they are in the
wagon." "Well now, by thunder," said Horton, as he
the fence, "stop your team, I want to see them."
This was done, and
there were the old soldier and his wife—each full of
life and delighted with
the frontier. This aged woman, it is said, could
spin a dozen of flax a day,
even after she became a centenarian. Nathaniel Floyd
came to Adair County in
1832, and settled on the farm owned by G. Grebbs. At
that time there was but the single
settlement in Barton Township, and one at
Moccasinville, now Macon. The
cottonwood tree on the Grebbs1 place, which was set
out in the spring of
Harrison's inauguration, by Nathan Floyd's daughter,
to support a campaign
flag, was ton feet eight inches in circumference in
1882. Prairie fires as well
as bush fires were then common, for the Indians were
accustomed to encircle a
large tract of country with fire so as to corrall
the game. In one of those
instances Floyd and his wife had an adventure.
From 1835 to 1845 the Indians were regular visitors. Keokuk's Indians were friendly, but not so their dogs, which often-times attacked hog pens, and killed the grunting inmates. Under such provocation the settler or settlers would complain, some- times so emphatically that the red men never revisited that locality.
In the fall of 1832 Bennett Brown and Samuel Hoy came hither with cattle. In their report they speak of the black bear being plenty on Billy's Creek, panther everywhere, black wolves in small packs, and forest wolves arranged by two packs to every four square miles, otter and muskrat always ready for the hunter, and honey to supply 10,000 tables. After this, when the tax gatherer from Macon appeared, his bill against the settlers would be paid in beeswax, wolf scalps or small furs.
In 1835, when Robert Myers settled on Bear Creek, two miles south of the present county seat, his only neighbors were Jesse Walker and James Myers, the latter a pioneer of 1828. The Adkins family resided in a cabin, five' miles away. Nathaniel Floyd lived seven miles distant, and John Cain, eight miles away. This Robert was the son of John Myers, who was killed in the battle with the Indians on the Chariton, a brother of James Myers, who precipitated that battle, and also of John Myers, Jr. His wife was Martha Lynch, daughter of that soldier of the Revolution -Henry Lynch, a native of Ireland, but an old settler of Maryland in 1776. In his statement he makes the assertion that his neighbors of 1835 and himself were the only heads of families then residing within the present limits of Adair County, and he is positive that each of those men had to go to Huntsville, sixty miles distant, to mill, and so continued until the introduction of the hand mill in the fall of 1836 or 1837.
Edward Stewart settled on what was the Nason farm in 1882, on Steer Creek. In 1837 he purchased 160 acres in Floyd County, from Nancy Floyd, paying her two and a half pounds of coffee. When he came in 1831 he brought 200 hogs, which grew fat on the mast, and realized large profits. Stewart and Frank Adkins were great hunters; at one time they had eight or ten barrels of honey and over 100 bee trees standing in the woods. Ned Stewart's hunting experiences were varied and numerous. One day, with his brother, George, he tracked a bear into a thicket on Steer Creek, sent in the dogs, and surrounded the hiding place. In a short time the dogs were heard; in a moment a huge panther dashed past, and in another George came rushing up, saying, " there is a den of devils in here, and they're killing every dog we've got" Rushing his horse through the bush he saw one of his dogs with a leg broken. Dismounting he bound the wound with his shirt sleeve, then proceeded to the scene of battle, saw a huge female panther bound into the thicket, leaving two cur panthers in the arena, which on seeing him fled. George soon arrived, and pulling one of the junior panthers from beneath a log, the combat was transferred from panthers and dogs to panthers and men. George swung the panther round and round until Ned came to his relief; the latter tried to enwrap the swinging brute in a quilt, but it was torn in shreds; a large tanned deer skin was next tried, and the instant this enwrapped the animal George let go his hold, and on the ground the panther struggled for liberty. Both men leaped on the animal and when he worked his paws through the hide, seized and tied them, then placed a pole on his neck, next tied his hind feet, and then turned their attention to the other cur which ran up a tree. Ned climbed up and cut down the limb on which the panther No. 4 rested. No sooner did the animal reach the ground than he sprang up the tree in pursuit of his tormentor, but George caught his tail, and held him until Ned came down when both captured the brute. During all this time the dogs kept the old female panther off, and she was driven up a tree; she was so furious they did not dare approach her. Ned fired twice and broke both her shoulders. Still she fought, and the men dared not shoot for fear of killing a dog. George threw a hatchet at her which struck her above the eyes; the hickory handle she caught and tore into splinters and even left the tracks of her teeth on the blade. Ultimately Ned Stewart shot her through the head, and then left the field of combat followed by the male panther to within a few rods of their home. This they followed next day and killed. They sold the cubs in Randolph County to a showman for $50.
Owensby was the first to settle on the prairie. Hiram Reed was the first white settler in Liberty Township. When it is considered that it required five or six yoke of oxen to break this prairie it is no wonder that men selected the friable soil of the valleys, however unwise such a selection might prove. Owensby could only work on his prairie farm early in the morning or late in the afternoon, for, during sunshine, myriads of green-headed flies would drive his cattle or horses wild; even the deer were driven into the woods by this horde of flies.
matter of mills, the pioneers of 1836-67
brought with them handmills, and as those became
worn out, they looked to the
two water-mills for aid. Sometimes these mills would
be rendered useless by
high water, when a general round of borrowing was
resorted to, but in some instances,
as in the case of an early wedding, boiled hominy
was the sole grain dish
presented; corn partly boiled, then grated and made
into bread was another
means of meeting an emergency. Robert Miller's four
daughters stand as
monuments of early days. Those strong-limbed,
shapely damsels would hew logs,
and raise a house or barn with their father's help.
Col. Jesse Jones, from
Mercer County, Ky., came to Randolph County, about
1832. About 1835 he sent
"Rob" and "Paulina" up to Adair, on the Chariton,
Kirksville to run a stock ranch - horses, cattle and
hogs. In the spring of
1837 the Jones and Collets came, and Jones opened a
farm on Section 10,
Township 62, Range 16, clearing heavy timber, etc.
Col. Jones had about twenty
slaves, one of which, "Uncle Isaac," is still
Among the settlers who came to the county in 1842 were the following well-known heads of families: David B. Rice, Nathaniel Scoville, Simeon Carson, A. T. Hite, William Roberts, Thomas Jackson, William Tillotson, John Singleton, Richard West, the Pollards, Thomas Williams, the Lesleys (on Chariton, below the wagon ford, before 1842,for in November, 1842, the place is spoken of as Lesley's "old place"), George Buckalew (bridge on north fork of Salt River), A. S. Bryant, John R. Adkins, Anson N. Robinson, John Michael, Hugh Michael, Henry Davis, David A. Ely, John Boyle, Joseph and Horatio Delbridge (of Benton Township), Henry Adkins, A. J. Bernard, Squire Holman, James T. Kirk, William Waggoner, Mancel Garrett, John B. Earhart, Joseph Stewart, Dr. Abram Still, Levy Lanesberry, George Clevenger, and others, whoso names are given in the history of the courts of 1841-42.
Andrew H. and W. P. Linder came to the county in October, 1839, settling in Township 61, Range 16. The year following A. H. Linder purchased lands on Section 32, in Township 62, on the same range. At this time William H. Parcels resided east of Linder's new home. Hiram Reed, an unenviable neighbor and very suspicious character, built his cabin near the present hamlet of Linderville in 1838. Two or three families named Harguses, resided on Section 34, Township 62, Range 16, east of the Chariton.
Survey of the Public Lands. - The United States survey of the public lands of Adair County was carried out under McRoberts & Allen. The first named completed the survey up to Township 61; the latter, assisted by B. A. Bozart, surveyed north of Township 61; McRoberts completed his part of the work in 1838, while two years later Allen reported the northern townships ready for the market.
First Entries of the Public Lands. - No sooner were the surveys completed and the lands opened for entry than a rush was made to the land office by both settlers and speculators. Among the latter was an officer of the land office, who, while, it is said, attending to clerical duties, c]id not forget other duties for himself, such as entering several quarter sections of the best lands.
presenting the list of the earliest land buyers in
each township it is not the intention to consider
any of them as
Original Entries.—Original entries of lands in Township 61 north, Range 13 west, now known as the eastern eighteen sections of Wilson Township are as follows: Peter J. Soners April 22,1856; Thomas Davidson, September, 1853; Obediah Prekston, December, 1854; W. H. Casey, June, 1855; Sidney Smith, November, 1855; William Prekston, February, 1855; H. B. Hukman, November, 1855, and John Creary, August, 1854, were the original owners of Section 4. The north half of Section 5 was selected by the State under act of 1841, while James Wilson entered the southwest quarter in June, 1839, and Thomas Glasscock the southeast quarter in April, 1839. The buyers of Section 6 were David H. Culbertson, July, 1857; Theodore Papin, September, 1855; Joseph Gaston, December, 1851; Andrew Armstrong, same time; Eusebius B. Waterman, March 10, 1855: and the State selection, east half of the northeast quarter, under act of 1841. Section 7 was disposed of as follows: Theodore Papin, north half, September, 1855; Joseph L. Papin, southwest quarter and northwest quarter of the southeast quarter, September 1, 1855; D. S. Roberts, south half of the southeast quarter, April, 1855; and John Creary, northeast quarter of the southeast quarter in November, 1853. Section 8 was purchased in small tracts, the east half of the northeast quarter being entered as swampland in April, 1859, and the west half bought by Thomas Glasscock in April, 1839. James Wilson and Benjamin Wilson bought three-quarters of the northwest quarter in 1839, and John Creary the southwest forty acres in November, 1853. The Wilsons entered most of the north half of the south part of Section 8 in 1839; Joseph Chick also bought there, while John Creary and B. P. Clurd purchased in 1854 and 1856. All of the section was selected by the State in 1841, except Josiah Well's west half of the southwest quarter entered in November, 1840; Edmund Reitter's east half of the southeast quarter in April, 1839, and John and Eliza Creary's east half of the northeast quarter in 1853-54. Section 16 was reserved as school land. Section 17 was purchased by J. D. W. Thompson, southeast quarter in September, 1849; Adam Arn and Manuel Posten, in 1855-56, northeast quarter; Samuel, William and Thomas Davidson and Eusebius B. Waterman purchased the west half in 1854-56. The purchasers of Section 18, between 1854 and 1856, were William and John C. Davidson, Joseph Papin, William W. Holmes and Frederick Lowery. In 1853, 1855 and 1856 the west half of Section 19 was entered by James H., James T., Stephen and William Wilson, Sylvanus BurkhaTfc and John B. Shelton; the north half of the east half by Thomas Glasscock in 1839; John Davidson in 1839; William Wilson in 1855; the south half in 1856 by Benjamin P. Curd, Sylvanus Burkhart, J. B. Shelton and W. S. Wilson.
In Section 20 the we9t half of the southwest quarter was sold to David C. Sloan, November 1, 1838, and the east half to Louis Vanlandingham. Ellis Wilson, John and Sam Davidson purchased each forty acres in the northwest quarter, while Peter Kelly purchased forty acres there in 1838. The east half of the east half of Section 20 was purchased by Ellis Wilson and Joseph Chick in 1839, and the west half of east half by Wilson and Chick in 1839, and S. B. Davidson and Kindred S. Pets, in 1855-56. Section 21 was sold between 1839 and 1855. K. S. Fets and William Montgomery bought in 1839; John Q. Pemberton, the northwest quarter in 1853; and P. B. Curd and K. S. Fets, in 1854-55. The southwest quarter of Section 28 was sold to Alfred Gupton, January 11, 1839, and the west half of the northwest quarter in February, that year, to Stephen R. Gupton; John Serat, J. Q. Pemberton, B. P. Curd, and K. S. Fets bought the balance, except the State selection or the east half of the southeast quarter. The north half of Section 29 was purchased in November, 1838, by Simon W. Souther, a part of southeast quarter in 1839 by Alex Simmonds, and the remainder of the section in 1853-56 by Joel C. Wilson, Reuben Jackson and William Tompkins. Section 30 was sold in 1854-56 in small tracts to Jacob Gilstrap, Samuel Vance, Nancy Wilson, J. H. Wilson, B. P. Curd, in the east half; Washburn Wade, Stephen Wilson, J. J. Moxey, J. Q. Matthews, in the west half.
The entries of Section 31 were James I. Sparks, in May, 1830, west half southeast and all southwest quarter; James C. Miles, south half of the northwest quarter in 1854—56; John Send north half northwest quarter in 1855; Samuel Vance, Henry C. Mathews, Aug. D. and M. J. B. Delassus and Fountain Dougherty. Section 32 was purchased in 1855, by Josephine Papin, with the exception of forty acres by Francis R. Spencer.
In Section 33 Stephen Gupton purchased the northeast quarter in 1839; William Pepper, the east half of the northwest quarter; J. Q. Pemberton, the west half of the northwest quarter; George J. Bitler, 120 acres, southwest quarter, David Ringer, forty acres, while Isaac H. Jones, eighty acres, Peter J. Saver's forty and Isaac D. Hatmaker's forty made up the southeast quarter.
Thomas M. Easley entered the southeast quarter of the southeast quarter of Section 1; Elijah D. Gale, the northwest quarter of Section 15, in 1850; Hugh Wilson, 120 acres of the northwest quarter of Section 24, in 1839, also forty acres in the southwest quarter, the same year; Elijah Wade, the southwest quarter of Section 25, in 1839; William N. Morris, 80 acres in the southeast quarter of Section 31, in 1850-52; Henry C. Bernard, the north half of the southeast quarter of Section 30, in December, 1839.
of those early entries the balance of the
township was sold between 1852 and 1856. In Township
61 north, Range 15, or
east part of Pettis, the following entries were
made: Andrew J. Jones entered
the east half of the northeast quarter of Section 5;
Andrew Hatfield, the east
half, and Michael G. Clem, the west half of the
southeast quarter, in October
and November, 1839. James Nicholas purchased
In 1856 every acre outside
the school section, and a
very small area of swamp land, claimed private
ownership. Township 61 north,
Range 16 west, or west three sections of Pettis, and
east three sections of
Walnut Township, dates the beginning of its land
sales from 1840. In January of
that year Larkin Richardson purchased the northeast
quarter of Section 5.
Township 61 north, Range 17 west, or the western thirty-six sections of Walnut Township, may be said to have been purchased within the last thirty-one years, or in 1856-57. The greater part was sold in 1857. Thomas Rhoads made the first entry, October 16, 1853, on the south half of the west half of the northwest quarter of Section 1. Township 62 north, Range 13 west, or the eastern part of Salt River Township, dates the beginning of the sale of the lands back to 1839, although the north half was disposed of mainly in 1855-66, John F. Thrasher being the exception, he buying the northwest quarter of Section 17 in April, 1839. James Wilson and Nicholas Conkle on Section 20, Peter Conkle and John F. Thrasher on Section 29, David Thomas on Section 30, Margaret R. Houston and Peter Conkle on Section 31, were the buyers in 1839. Township 62 north, Range 14 west, or the western thirty-six sections of Salt River Township, was bought up in the fifties, except Jane and Abraham Earhart's eighty acres in Section 26, purchased in 1845-46. Township 62 north, Range 15 west, or the western thirty-six sections of Benton, may be said to have been sold within the decade 1846-1856. The site of Kirksville was entered December 25, 1846, by Jonathan Floyd, in trust for the county. Township 62 north, Range 16 west, or western part of Benton and eastern part of Liberty, was sold during the thirteen years, 1846-1859.
62 north, Range 17 west, or the western
section of Liberty, like the township adjoining on
the east, presents the names
of very few early land buyers. During the period
1850-59, however, every acre
of this beautiful land passed from the United States
to private owners.
Township 63 north, Range 13 west, or the
southeastern part of
63 north, Range 14 west, or the western part
of Clay Township, dates its first land sale to April
17, 1846, when Jesse Kirk
entered the southeast quarter of Section 31. In 1850
land sales began in
earnest here, and within seven years the title of
the United States passed into
private hands. Township 63 north, Range 15 west, or
the northern sections of Benton
Township, dates its first land sale back to March,
Township 03 north, Rang© 16
west, or the south part of
Nineveh, drew the attention of land buyers in 1847,
when Erastus Rice bought
forty acres in the southeast quarter of Section 19.
John Booth entered the
northeast quarter of Section 5, December, 1846, but
his was the solitary claim
there for at least four years.
Township 64 north, Range 14 west, or the northern part of Clay Township, passed out of the possession of the United States to private owners between 1852 and 1856, Squire Hendren buying on Section 31 in 1852.
64 north. Range 15 west, or the northern part
of Polk Township, dates the sale of lands from 1851,
when H. W. Broughton, W.
M. Davis and others, bought tracts on Section 27.