Bottineau County was named in honor of Pierre Bottineau by the Dakota Territory Legislature in Yankton, Dakota Territory, in 1873. The honor was bestowed upon him in recognition of his service as a guide to numerous expeditions in Dakota Territory. It is believed he went through the county in his travels but there is no indication of a significant contribution to the history of the area. Pierre Bottineau was born in 1817 on Turtle River near Pembina, Dakota Territory. He was the son of Joseph Bottineau, a Hudson Bay trapper, and Clear Sky, a Chippewa (or Ojibwa) woman. He was trained early in marksmanship, horsemanship, and woodcraft. At 14 he had attained such skill that the death of his father promptly brought the offer of a home with another trapper, LeCompte, who was eager to have the lad assist him with his traps. Three years later he made his first long trip through the wilderness when with LeCompte, he delivered messages from Fort Garry (near Winnipeg) to Ft. Snelling (St. Paul), a distance of 750 miles. A year later he made a trip to Hudson Bay, passed the Company test as a voyaguer, and gained employment with the Hudson Bay Company. Shortly thereafter he married Genevieve Larance, a woman of French Indian descent. In 1852, shortly after the death of Genevieve, he married a French woman, Martha Garvais. While the Chippewa was Bottineau's mother tongue, he could speak other Indian dialects and could also converse well in French and English. He guided Governor Stevens on the first exploration for the Northern Pacific Railway; he was guide for many government trains to forts on the Missouri River; he was with General Sully in his campaigns against the Sioux, and his acquaintance with the Northwest covered a territory from northern Wisconsin to the Rockies. All the Sioux were his sworn foes and he had many fights with them. He knew he had killed six and could only conjecture on how many additional had probably fallen under his rifle fire. Many times he had narrowly escaped death at their hands. In 1837 Pierre filed a claim in the area where St. Paul, Minnesota, now stands and commenced farming. Either the call of the wild or the solicitations of the American Fur Company were too great, for he again took to the trail and made a career of guiding and trapping until 1876 when he settled on a farm near Red Lake Falls, Minnesota. He passed away July 26, 1895 - the last of the frontier guides. [Bottineau County diamond jubilee, 1884-1959 : Bottineau; Diamond Anniversary Publication Committee; c. 1959?]
HON. SKAPTI B. BRYNJOLFSON, who is now retired from active labors, engaged in farming many years in Beaulieu township and has a pleasant home in section 36 that is the center of true and generous hospitality. He settled in the midst of the Icelandic colony of Pembina county, and his countrymen have conferred upon him much honor and he has proven himself worthy of their confidence in every instance. The lines of his portrait, published in connection with this biography, indicate a strong but kindly spirit and show a noble face.
Our subject was born in Forsealudal, Valley of Shade, Iceland, the place of his nativity being Hunavatnssyla, in the county of Bear Cub Lake. His birth is dated October 29, 1860, and he is the fourth child of seven born to Brynjolfur and Thorun (Alafsdottir) Brynjolfson. Under his father's guidance our subject acquired the rudiments of education in his own tongue and about 1873 a pamphlet written in Danish by a Scandinavian resident of Texas, United States, came into the hands of his father and was read with much interest, as it described life in the New World, and by him was translated into Icelandic and read to the neighbors, and in consequence caused some dissatisfaction among the sturdy people, who for generations had been able to provide little more than the necessaries of life in their native land and heard such flowing accounts of the advantages of the west. A letter later received from friends in Canada caused a general and decided movement, resulting in the formation of a colony for emigration, and in August, 1874, a company of three hundred and fifty-two persons embarked on the ship "St. Patrick," arriving in due season in Quebec. Soon after their arrival in America our subject settled in Halifax county, Nova Scotia, and remained there until 1881, when he went to Duluth and from thence, in the spring of 1882, to Pembina county, North Dakota. The father entered claim to land in Beaulieu township and our subject worked in a flour-mill in Winnipeg and at elevator work in Duluth and during the time applied himself to the study of the English language, gleaning his knowledge from books and papers and made remarkable progress in that direction and as is characteristic of the nationality, acquired a pure pronunciation and thorough understanding, with a good grammatical style, although paying little attention to the study of grammar. Mr. Brynjolfson went to Dakota for permanent residence in 1885 and assumed charge of his father's farm on section 35, in Beaulieu township, and in 1892 removed to his present location and devoted his attention to general farming until 1897, when he leased the land and now enjoys a well-earned rest from active pursuits.
Our subject was married, November 21, 1892, to Miss Groa Johannesson, a native of Iceland colony. Mr. and Mrs. Brynjolfson have refined literary tastes and their library contains volumes in English and Icelandic covering a great range of subjects. Our subject has a retentive memory and his mind is stored with folk lore of his native people, and throughout the state of North Dakota there can be found no more entertaining host or charming hostess than these cultured people from far off Iceland. Mr. Brynjolfson was a nominee for state representative in 1889, but was defeated, and in 1890 was elected state senator and served one term. He was chairman of the committee on public health and served on the committee on education and also as a member of the other committees of the session. He introduced many measures that have since become important laws and his services for the welfare of his community commended him to all as a citizen of true public spirit. Politically, he is a Democrat and is strong in his convictions. He holds membership in the Independent Order of Foresters. [Source: Compendium of History and Biography of North Dakota, Publ. 1900 - Tr. By Debbie Gibson]
CHARLES CAVILEER, known far and wide as the Father of Pembina, enjoys the unique distinction of being not only the oldest living settler of that portion of the Red river valley, but likewise of the whole state of North Dakota. A full and complete history of the life of this prominent and influential pioneer of pioneers, since coming to this portion of our land, dating as it does from 1851, would present to our minds most clearly the wonderful growth and development that has come to this favored portion of the Republic. The interest that naturally attends the narration of the life history of the pioneer is, in his case, made doubly strong by the fact that in all the many years of his residence here, he has taken a leading and prominent part in the political, business and official life of this, his adopted home.
Mr. Cavileer was born in Springfield, Clark county, Ohio, March 6, 1818, and is the son of Charles and Rachel (Trease) Cavileer, natives of Maine and Pennsylvania, respectively. Receiving in his native place the rudiments of common-school education, at the age of seventeen he removed to Mount Carmel, Wabash county, Illinois, where he learned the saddler s trade. There he remained, working as a journeyman, until 1841. In that year he moved to Minnesota and for a time made his home at Red Rock, near St. Paul. In 1845, in that young city, Mr. Cavileer established the pioneer harness shop of the state of Minnesota. This he continued for two years. In 1848, in company with a Mr. Dewey, he opened the first drug store in St. Paul and the state. In 1848 Mr. Cavileer was appointed by Governor Alexander Ramsey to the position of first territorial librarian. This office he continued to hold until, in 1851, he was appointed by President Fillmore the first collector of customs for the district of Minnesota. Pembina was the port of entry for the district and thither he moved. He settled down to his official duties, which, at that time, not only had to do with the customs, but he was also the representative of all the other civil branches of the United States government. August 17, in company with Commodore Norman W. Kittson, he arrived at what is now Pembina. In 1853 Mr. Cavileer, in partnership with N. W. Kittson and W. H. Forbes, engaged in the fur trade. At the end of three years, Mr. Forbes having withdrawn, Mr. Cavileer with Mr. Kittson, formed a partnership with Messrs. Culver, Farrington and Sargent and engaged in same line of business. This continued for two years. These five years were doubtless the most exciting ones in a life replete with adventurous incident. It was during this time that he made regular trips to St. Paul with trains of from eighty to a hundred Red river carts loaded with furs and pelts. These trips were long and wearisome and often dangerous from bands of roving Indians and stampeding herds of buffalo.
Mr. Cavileer, in 1863, returned to Pembina, he having, in the discharge of his business cares, resided both at St. Joseph, about thirty miles to the westward, at the foot of the Pembina mountains, and at Winnipeg. In 1864 he was commissioned postmaster, a position which he held until 1884, when the weight of increasing years caused him to resign in favor of his son, Edmund. The original plat of the city of Pembina was laid out by the subject of this sketch and this was added to in the shape of an extensive addition in 1878, when railroad connections with the centers of trade showed the need for enlarging the limits of the city.
In his earlier days Mr. Cavileer was a regular correspondent of the Smithsonian Institute, of Washington, D. C., and to this day likes to write of the incidents of the past. His sketches of pioneer days and graphic descriptions of scenes and characters are the delight of his friends and neighbors, and the old settlers generally. These sketches, which have been mostly for local papers and pioneer society meetings, are in the plain, blunt, straightforward and to the point style of the western plainsman, but of a deep undercurrent of humor wholly his own.
March 13, 1857, Mr. Cavileer was united in marriage with Miss Isabella Murry, who was then sixteen years of age. She was a lassie of Scottish ancestry, daughter of Donald and Jean (Herron) Murry, and was born and lived in the Red river valley of Canada. They made a visit as a bridal tour to his former home in Springfield, Ohio. Mr. and Mrs. Cavileer are the parents of five children: Sarah, who died in infancy, Edmund K., William M., Albert D. and Lulah Bell. ["History and Biography of North Dakota". Transcribed by Sally Masteller]
HON. DENNIS W. DRISCOLL.
Success is determined by one s ability to recognize opportunity, and to pursue this with a resolute and unflagging energy. It results from continued labor, and the man who thus accomplishes his purpose usually becomes an important factor in business circles and in public life. Through such means Mr. Driscoll, state treasurer, has attained a leading place among the representative men of North Dakota, and his well-spent and honorable life commands the respect of all who know him. A portrait of Mr. Driscoll will be found in this volume. He was born in Canada, September 22, 1849, and is a son of John J. and Julia (Dennison) Driscoll, natives of Canada. The parents were married in Canada, where the father died during the infancy of our subject, and in 1856 the mother removed to Detroit, Michigan. There our subject was reared and educated and also learned the potter s trade, which he followed until 1873. In 1870 he removed to Boone county, Iowa, where he worked at his trade for a time, and in 1875 became a resident of La Crosse, Wisconsin, where he was first engaged in selling farm implements and later traveled for the Deering Company. Coming to North Dakota in 1879, Mr. Driscoll located in Pembina, Pembina county, where he became a member of the firm Johnson, Hohner & Company, agricultural implement dealers. When Walsh county was formed, in 1881, he went to Acton in the interest of the same company. In 1881 he took up his residence at Grafton, continuing in the employ of the same company until 1887. He was next engaged in farming and stock raising for eight years and then returned to Grafton, where he still makes his home. He is now engaged in the real estate business, is vice-president of the Grafton National Bank, and president of the Bates Carbon Book Company of that place. In business affairs he is prompt and notably reliable, and has met with most excellent success.
In 1882 Mr. Driscoll led to the marriage altar Miss Clara K. Hogg, a native of Nova Scotia, and to them have been born four children, namely: William J., Charles H., Nellie H. and Clara K., all living. Since attaining his majority Mr. Driscoll has always cast his ballot with the Republican party, and although he has never been an office seeker, he was elected, in 1898, to the office of state treasurer, carrying every county in the commonwealth. Socially he is a Royal Arch Mason, and is held in high esteem by all who know him. The farm of Mr. Driscoll, which consists of fourteen hundred acres, is located in Acton township, Walsh county, and is devoted to grain and stock interests. [Source: Compendium of History and Biography of North Dakota, Publ. 1900. Transcribed by Brenda Shaffer]
LYNN JOSEPH FRAZIER (1874 1947)
Senate Years of Service: 1923-1941 Party: Republican
FRAZIER, Lynn Joseph, a Senator from North Dakota; born near Medford, Steele County, Minn., December 21, 1874; moved to Dakota Territory (now North Dakota) in 1881 with his parents, who homesteaded in Pembina County; attended the country schools; graduated from Mayville State Normal School, North Dakota, in 1895, and from the University of North Dakota at Grand Forks in 1901; engaged in agricultural pursuits; Governor of North Dakota 1917-1921; elected as a Republican to the United States Senate in 1922; reelected in 1928 and in 1934 and served from March 4, 1923, to January 3, 1941; unsuccessful candidate for renomination in 1940; chairman, Committee on Indian Affairs (Seventieth through Seventy-second Congresses); resumed his agricultural pursuits; died January 11, 1947, in Riverdale, Md.; interment in Park Cemetery, Hoople, N.Dak. [Source: Biographical Directory of the United States Congress, 1771-Present; contributed by A. Newell]
CHRISTIAN GANSSLE, of the first legislative district. St. Thomas, Pembina county, was born in Germany on May 20, 1866 and is married. He came to North Dakota from Canada in 1882 and is a farmer. He was educated in the common schools. Was a member of the legislature in 1905 and 1907, was re-elected in 1909 to the house and was elected to the senate in 1910, as a republican. [Source: North Dakota Blue Book, 1913 Legislative Manual, Published under the direction of Thomas Hall, Secretary of State, 1913. Submitted by Linda R.]
JOHN HART, Joliette, of the first legislative district, was born at Tilsonburg, Canada, July 13, 1808, and came with his parents to the United States in March. 1880, locating in South Dakota, where he received his education in the common schools. He came to North Dakota in 1896 and engaged in the mercantile business. Has served as postmaster at Joliette since March 25, 1898. He is married and has three children. He was elected representative as a republican. [Source: North Dakota Blue Book, 1913 Legislative Manual, Published under the direction of Thomas Hall, Secretary of State, 1913. Submitted by Linda R.]
W. M. HUSBAND, Hensel, of the first legislative district, was born at Hamilton, Ont., Canada, January 30, 1849, and came to North Dakota February 1889 direct from Canada. He received his education in the common schools of Ontario. He has engaged in farming for the vast twenty-four years. Served as alderman of the city of Guelph, Ont., and in several minor township and school district offices in North Dakota. He is married and has nine children. He was elected representative as a republican. [Source: North Dakota Blue Book, 1913 Legislative Manual, Published under the direction of Thomas Hall, Secretary of State, 1913. Submitted by Linda R.]
JOHN JOHNSON, engaged in diversified farming in section 18, in Gardar township, is one of the progressive and intelligent younger members of the farming community composed mostly of natives of Iceland. The family of which he is a member were among the first of that land to take up their residence in this country, and have become worthy citizens and men of active public spirit, manifesting American progress in connection with the advance of civilization. Mr. Johnson was born in Iceland, November 1, 1862, and he and an elder sister were the only children born to John and Sigurbjorg (Stephanson) Johnson. The parents now reside with our subject. In the fall of 1873 they joined the first Icelandic emigration colony bound for America and arrived at Quebec, August 25, and were among the ten families who pushed on the Milwaukee. They remained in Dane county, Wisconsin one year and then removed to Shawano county, Wisconsin, and in the spring of 1880 our subject, with two companions came to Pembina county, North Dakota, seeking land for a small settlement of some five families of Icelanders. Mr. Johnson located on the land where he now resides and made some improvements and the following fall the father went there and filed a claim thereon. The men composing the colony drove overland with cattle from Wisconsin, a distance of nine hundred miles, and the farm which our subject located was on the north fork of the Park river and a beautiful site was chosen and a log house erected, which still stands there among the trees. Three years later a better log house was erected and in 1899 a handsome and commodious residence, fitted with furnace heat and modern improvements was built and the furnishings and appointments of the home are perfect in every particular and furnishes a home of great comfort and one of the pleasantest in the township. The wealth of the family in the early days consisted of none head of stock and during those days our subject worked for others and clerked in a store at Gardar for about two years.
Our subject was married, in 1886, to Miss Gudbjorg Peterson, a native of Iceland. Seven children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Johnson, named as follows: Emelia, Stephan, Fredrick, John, Fjola, Sigrun, and Clara. Mr. Johnson is a member of the Independent Order of Foresters and Modern Woodmen of America and also holds membership in the Lutheran church. He was elected county commissioner from the second district in 1888 and is a man of active public spirit in county and township affairs and keeps pace with the times and wields an influence for good in his community. [Source: COMPENDIUM OF HISTORY AND BIOGRAPHY. Transcribed by Carol Eppright]
FRANK N. KING
This name is borne by a prominent citizen and business man of Pembina, North Dakota, who has won his way through discouraging circumstances and is a striking example of our self-made men. He is a member of the firm of King & Company, hardware dealers, and the business with which he is connected is one of the most extensive in the city and they enjoy a liberal patronage. Our subject was born in Fredericksburg, Virginia, December 23, 1856, and is the youngest child and only son in a family of four children born to Samuel and Ann E. (Adams) King, both of whom were natives of New York state. The mother died while our subject was an infant and the father afterward married a southern woman and soon after his second marriage went North to enter the service of the Union army. Our subject was reared by his uncle and aunt and the scene of his boyhood days was the Empire state, where his uncle was engaged in the mercantile and lumber business. He received a practical business training there and at the age of eighteen years became a partner with his brother-in-law in the general merchandise business at Fairmount, Illinois. They removed to St. Vincent in 1880 and in less than one year removed their business to St. Andrews, Pembina county. Our subject came to Crystal in 1882 and then took land, employing himself as clerk in his brother-in-law s store at that point, and in 1887 he went to Pembina and worked at collections and also cared for extensive land interests which he had accumulated. He engaged in the hardware business in 1898 in company with M.E. Ryan, and one year later E.D. Booker was admitted as a member of the firm, and they now conduct the business under the firm name of King & Company. They deal in hardware, stoves, tinware, farm implements and vehicles and carry a full line of each. Mr. King owns about sixteen hundred acres of land near Pembina, which he leases out each season. He has gained his possessions single-handed and is one of the substantial men of the locality.
Our subject was married, in May, 1883, to Miss Almira E. Gram. Five children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. King, named in order of birth as follows: Ralph, deceased, Harry, Charles, Roland and Katherine. Mr. King is a member of the Masonic fraternity, Modern Woodmen of America and Ancient Order of United Workmen. In political faith he is a Republican and is strong in his convictions. ["History and Biography of North Dakota". Transcribed by Kim Mohler]
DANIEL J. LAXDAL, attorney at law, and land commissioner for North Dakota, is a representative member of his profession, and has gained a high position in his locality, and enjoys a good practice in Cavalier, Pembina county. Our subject was born in Iceland, April 9, 1866, and he and an elder sister constituted the family born to Grimur and Aldis (Jonasdottir or Bergmann) Laxdal. By a former marriage of the father five children were born. The father died in Iceland, and when our subject was ten years of age the mother came to America with her children and step-children, and was one of a colony of one thousand persons who emigrated from Iceland, with Lake Winnipeg as their objective point. The mother of our subject and the children went to Pembina county, North Dakota, in the spring of 1879, and there took land in section 27 in Gardar township. Our subject attended school in Winnipeg two months, but his English education was obtained in the common schools of Pembina county. When thirteen years of age he obtained a position at eight dollars per month, caring for officers' children at Fort Pembina, and in 1880-81 he worked in a biscuit factory in Winnipeg. He entered the Lutheran College in Iowa, in 1883, and by working hard remained five years, and then when in his senior year accepted a position in the law office of W. J. Kneeshaw, at Pembina, with who he read law, and two years later in March, 1890, was admitted to the bar. In the fall of that year, in partnership with Magnus Brynjolfson, he established an office in Cavalier, and this became the pioneer law firm of that city. He began alone in 1892 and has since conducted a general law practice, and also deals in real estate, loans and insurance.
Our subject was married, in 1893, to Miss Bessie Rose. Two children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Laxdal, named as follows: Mabel, and Fredrick Eggert. Mr. Laxdal was appointed land commissioner for the state of North Dakota in 1899, and now serves in that capacity. He is a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, Ancient Order of United Workmen, and the Lutheran church. Politically he is a Republican and served ten years as secretary of the county central committee. [Source: Compendium of History and Biography of North Dakota, Publ. 1900. Transcribed by Syndi Phillips]
JOSEPH E. LEE
This gentleman is widely known as a member of the firm of J. LaMoure & Company, general merchants of Neche, Pembina county, and is manager of the business in that city. He is a man of excellent ability and progressive nature and has made a remarkable success of the business of the firm. He is also active in public matters and is chairman of the village board and also of the school board, and is closely connected with the history of that thriving town.
Our subject was born in Ontario, Canada, October 19, 1857, and was the second in a family of three children born to William and Margaret (Langton) Lee. The father was a contractor and builder, but our subject cared little for that line of work, although he remarks that his father taught him the art of seeing straight. He began clerking in a general store in Canada at the age of sixteen years, and in 1881 went to Dakota and continued in the same work at Pembina and Hamilton under 1886, and in September, 1887, went to Neche as manager for J. LaMoure & Company, and soon afterward purchased an interest in the business. Their stock in Neche covers all general merchandise, a full line of clothing and also shelf hardware, and the stock is valued at twenty-five thousand dollars and is the most complete stock in the town. A branch house was established in Walhalla in 1898. Mr. Lee was married, in 1892, to Miss Mabel Johnson. Mr. and Mrs. Lee are the parents of one son. Although our subject is a man of strict business methods, he has taken his place among the prominent citizens of his locality and is actively interested in county and state affairs. He is a member of the Ancient Order of United Workmen, Knights of Pythias and Masonic fraternity and in political faith is a Republican and stands firmly for the principles of his party. ["History and Biography of North Dakota". Transcribed by Kim Mohler ]
JOHN F. MAGER
This gentleman is the pioneer miller of Pembina County, and in reviewing his life it will be seen that his dominant characteristics commend him to the people of North Dakota as a loyal citizen and business man of strict integrity of word and deed. He has practically developed the country around Walhalla, by his thrift and enterprise in his business, and his name is intimately connected with the history of that region.
Our subject was born in Alsace Lorraine, Germany, December 27, 1850, and was the fifth of a family of six children, born to John and Mary L. Mager, both of whom are deceased. The father emigrated to America in 1855 and the family joined him here one year later and located at St. Paul, and about 1858 the father went to the Red River Valley in Canada and settled at Fort Gary, and in 1859 the family removed there via the Pembina mountains, the valley being too wet for travel, and while en route passed through Walhalla, then settled by half-breed Indians, and it was noted as a remarkably beautiful spot.
When eighteen years of age our subject went to St. Paul to learn the machinist's trade, but could not find employment at that work and began engineering, and in the spring of 1871 visited his brother-in-law, Mr. Emerling, who was located on a farm at Walhalla, then known as St. Jo. Provisions were scarce in St. Jo and flour was five dollars per sack, and the supply uncertain at any money. Our subject and Mr. Emerling decided to start a flouring mill and to this end a dam was built across the Pembina River near where the railroad bridge now stands, and a pony saw-mill was put in. The dam washed out and in the fall of that year our subject went to Fort Garry and secured an old threshing engine and with this power and a set of two-feet French burr stones wheat was ground, and New Year's Day, 1872, biscuits were served. This saw was connected with the engine and timbers sawed and a new dam constructed, giving both water and steam power, and in the fall of 1874, nine hundred bushels of wheat, all that was raised in the country surrounding, was ground. Trouble with the dam continued and in 1876 the mill was reconstructed and removed to its present location, and an engine of greater capacity secured, and another run of stone, and a saw-mill was put in, and then the reward of many years of patient labor became apparent. Mr. Emerling died of small pox in 1881, and our subject succeeded to the milling business. The mill was remodeled to rolls in 1883, and burned in 1887, and was again rebuilt, assuming its present dimensions. A fine stone engine room has recently been constructed, and the mill continues operations by combined water and steam power. Mr. Emerling had secured land in the town limits and by government rights our subject secured an adjoining quarter-section, now included in the town limits, and Mr. Mager is conceded to be the chief promoter for the up building of Walhalla. In this connection may be mentioned the Walhalla, Bathgate & Eastern Railroad corporation, of which our subject was vice-president. A line was contemplated from Drayton to Walhalla and work was begun, thus forcing the Great Northern Railroad to push their line into the town, thus giving Walhalla the necessary transportation facilities for its growth and the development of that locality. Our subject has also graciously thrown open a park to the public and Mager s Park is a pleasant resort.
Our subject was married in 1874, to Miss Christine Hermann, a native of Germany. Six children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Mager, named in order of birth as follows: Aimee, Hortense, Marie Louise, deceased; Robert, deceased: Joseph G., deceased, and Albert. Mr. Mager is a member of the Roman Catholic Church, and was a charter member of the following secret societies of Walhalla: Independent Order of Odd Fellows, Knights of Pythias, Independent Order of Foresters and Ancient Order of United Workmen. Politically he is a Republican. ["History and Biography of North Dakota". Transcribed by Laurel Durham]
HON. ERNEST H. RESTEMAYER resides on a valuable farm about one mile east of the city of Cavalier, and has all the advantages of a country home and the social advantages of the city. He is one of the representative farmers of Pembina county, and owns and operates eight hundred acres of land and devotes his entire attention to agricultural pursuits. Our subject was born in Huron county, Ontario, Canada, January 24, 1856. He is of German descent, and his parents, Ernest and Elizabeth (Mueller) Restemayer, were both natives of Germany and came to Canada in early life and were pioneers of that part of Huron county where our subject was born. They reared a family of four children, of whom our subject was third in order of birth. The father died November 6, 1899, and the mother survives and makes her home in Canada. Our subject remained on the pioneer Canadian farm until twenty-six years of age, when he heard of the Dakota free lands, and in 1880 went to North Dakota to view the country. He went again in 1882 with his family and purchased land in Cavalier township, a few miles east of his present home. He purchased the land for cash and then had no means with which to improve the farm, and his present comfortable financial condition is the result of his industry and honest efforts. He invested eight thousand dollars in the half-section of land on which is located his present home, and he has a fine property and gives his children the best educational advantages.
Our subject was married, in 1878, to Miss Martha Geiger. Nine children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Restemayer, named as follows: Edmund W., Alvin J., Venetta J., Mahlon J., Harvey G., Mary E., Norman E., Clara S. and Milton H. Mr. Restemayer was elected state representative in 1898 and served one term, and was on the following committees: Agricultural, state affairs and apportionment. He introduced several measures and was an efficient member of the legislature. He served six years as chairman of the township board and is prominent in local affairs. He holds membership in the Evangelical church, and politically is a Republican. ["History and Biography of North Dakota". Transcribed by Sally Masteller]
EDWARD O. STORELEE, an energetic and prosperous farmer of section 18, Moore township, is one of the earliest settlers of that locality, and has surmounted the difficulties which beset the pioneer settlers of a country, and taken a leading place among the well-to-do farmers of Ransom county. He conducts general farming and also owns a steam threshing and well digging outfit. Our subject was born near Beloit, Wisconsin, in Rock Prairie, July 14, 1858, and was the fifth in a family of six children who grew to maturity, born to Ole O. and Joren Storelee. His parents were natives of Norway, and are deceased. Our subject lived in Wisconsin until about six years of age, and then moved to Fillmore county, Minnesota, where he was reared to manhood, working at farm labor. He went to Valley City, Dakota, in 1881, arriving there with a team of horses and a breaking plow. He had but forty dollars in money, and entered claim to a tree claim, being one of the first to secure land in the township, going at once to Ransom county. He had not sufficient funds to meet the expense of proving up on the land, and so turned it to a homestead, and thereon erected his buildings. He camped out on the prairie the first summer, and broke thirty acres of land, returning to Minnesota for the winter. He again went to Dakota in the spring of 1882, and erected a 14x16 shanty, sodded on the outside, which was his home for about eight years. He worked some for others, and improved his farm, and good crops followed, bringing prosperity. He erected a house and barn in 1891 at a cost of two thousand five hundred dollars. The barn was destroyed by lightening in 1896, but the residence is one of comfort and convenient arrangement. He owns four hundred and eighty acres of land, and winters about thirty head of stock.
Our subject was married in 1882 to Miss Jennie Slitvol. Mr. and Mrs. Storelee are the parents of nine children, as follows: Jennie, Oscar, John Edvik, deceased; Ledea, deceased; Olga K., deceased; Molvina, Olaf, Henry and Edvik. A group portrait will be found on another page. Mr. Storelee is a member of the Lutheran church. Politically he is a Republican. He is progressive and industrious and well merits his success. ["History and Biography of North Dakota". Transcribed by Kim Mohler]
GEORGE TAYLOR, proprietor of a fine farm in Bathgate township, enjoys the distinction of being the oldest resident settler of his township, and has a handsome home in section 10, and follows diversified farming with unbounded success.
Our subject is a native of Puslinch township, Wellington county, Canada, and was born February 17, 1850. He was the eighth in a family of nine children born to Samuel and Margaret (Hutcheon) Taylor, who were of English and Scotch extraction, respectively, and are now deceased. Mr. Taylor worked at home with his father most of the time until 1879, and also followed carpentering some, and in the spring of 1879 he gathered together his available resources, amounting to about two hundred and fifty dollars, and went to North Dakota, and filed a pre-emption claim on the land which he now owns. He erected a small log house for himself and wife on the banks of the Tongue river, and was fortunate in his choice of land, his home now being but about a half-mile from the town of Bathgate. He at once began to develop the farm, and his first crop was from nineteen acres of ground, and he lived by finding odd jobs at carpenter work and hunting wild game. There were two other settlers near his home, but they afterward left, and he was then the oldest settler of the township, after their departure. He built a small board addition to his log house and there resided twelve years, when he erected a modern and commodious residence, and now has a fine home, well finished and furnished with excellent taste. His residence and outbuildings are among the best in the county, and were all designed by himself and built with his own hands. Hen engages in stock raising to some extent, and deals in Poland China hogs, Clyde horses and graded Shorthorn cattle. He has made a success of his career, and now has one of the well improved farms of the township.
Our subject was married, in 1876, to Miss Isabella Thompson. Five children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Taylor, as follows: Robert, deceased; Winona, deceased; Grover Cleveland, deceased; Adlai S., deceased; and John T. Mr. Taylor assisted in the organization of what was originally Hamilton township, comprising Hamilton and Bathgate townships, and became the first chairman of the township board. He became assessor of Bathgate township upon the organization of the township, and served eight years, and in 1896 was elected county commissioner for the third district for a term of three years, and was re-elected in 1899, in which capacity he still serves. He is a Master mason, and member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows and Ancient Order of United Workmen. Politically he is a Democrat, and is firm in his convictions. ["History and Biography of North Dakota". Transcribed by Mary Saggio]
HON. JOHN THORDARSON, one of the early settlers of Pembina county, is well known as a man of good business qualifications and is highly esteemed by the people among whom he lives.
He resides in Hensel and is engaged in buying grain there, and for many years was identified with the farming interests in Pembina county. Our subject is a native of Iceland and was born on the farm Svinarnes-on Eyafjord, Thingeyarsislu, August 20, 1846, and was the oldest of a family of six children, five sons and one daughter. His father, who still resides in Iceland, was a shipbuilder and pilot, when fourteen years of age our subject began fishing and at the age of eighteen years shipped on a vessel for a cruise of shark fishing. He took a course in navigation of an old sea captain when twenty-two years of age and was soon afterward made captain of a fishing vessel and for six seasons caught sharks among the icebergs. He experienced a ship wreck on the north coast of Iceland and death was escaped by running the ship into the rocky coast as an only means of escape. He embarked for America August 5, 1873. and arrived at Milwaukee, Wisconsin, November 6, where he obtained work in a ship yard and later in a furniture factory and worked two years in a linseed oil manufactory. In 1877 he went to Winnipeg and in October, 1878, removed with his family to Pembina county. North Dakota, and entered claim to land in Carlisle township, where he lived three years and then sold his interests and purchased a farm in Gardar township and lived there until 1891, when he went to Hensel as manager of the lumber yards of the Robertson Lumber Company, which position he held until 1897, and then began buying grain for McCabc Brothers and has since been stationed in Hensel in that capacity. He has several times been a member of the township and school boards in Pembina county.
Our subject was married, in 1871, to Miss Rosa Jonson. Seven children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Thorardson, as follows : Emma, a native of Iceland, now Mrs. R. D. Swingel ; John, operating an elevator at Nash, North Dakota ; Olof, deceased; Franklin, a student at St. Peter, Minnesota; Kristian, deceased ; O. K. Lillian and Kristin. Mr. Thorardson was called upon by the people to serve as a state representative in 1898 and served one term and was an efficient and faithful member of tne general assembly. He served as chMrman of the committee on election and privileges and was a member of the following committees : Military, Viarehouse and grain grading, forestry, taxes and tax laws. He is a Republican politically. He holds membership in the Lutheran church and Masonic frata-nity and Independent Order of Foresters. [Source: Compendium of History and Biography of North Dakota, Publ. 1900. Transcribed by Dena Whitesell]
STIGUR THORWALDSON, the efficient and popular postmaster of Akra, and general merchant of that place, is of foreign birth, but brought to this country the thrift and industry of his native land, and has prospered amid the discouragements under which many others would have given up the struggle, and he is now one of the substantial men of that region. He owns extensive farming lands near the town, which he devotes to diversified farming with marked success, and has a prosperous mercantile business in the town. In the accumulation of the estate, Mrs. Thorwaldson has borne a fair share of the good management which has resulted so well. The reader will find his portrait elsewhere, and will find it that of a strong, manly character.
Our subject was born in Iceland, December 17, 1853, and is the eldest of a family of twelve children born to Thorwald Stigson and Wilborg Johnsdatter, both of whom are deceased. He was born on a farm, and engaged in stock raising and fishing with his father until he reached the age of twenty five years, when the father died, and our subject assumed sole charge of the farm. After three years of work thereon, he decided to emigrate to a larger field of labor, and with a fair knowledge of English and hearing much of the Red river valley, he decided to try his fortune in the Northwest in America, and in the fall of 1881 left the old country, and September 8 arrived at Pembina with the mother and ten brothers and sisters. He rented a house for the family in Akra township, and then went to Cavalier county in search of a location, but finding none to suit returned to Pembina and soon afterward married. Mrs. Thorwaldson has homesteaded land in Jollette township, and that was sold and the quarter where they now reside was purchased, and they took up their permanent residence on the banks of the Tongue river. They had a log cabin for a home, and began the development of the farm, and until 1888 met with success at farm work. They made permanent improvements, and in the fall of that year, with a capital of four hundred dollars, which he had accumulated, started a small country store in a frame shanty connected with their dwelling house. Fire destroyed the house and store in 1890 and caused a total loss. They soon afterward rebuilt and stocked again with a small supply, and in 1892 his brother Elis and our subject formed a new firm and built a good building which the store now occupies, and increased the stock. Our subject and wife assumed sole charge of the business in 1895, and still conduct the same. They now carry a stock valued at five thousand dollars, and enjoy a good trade. Mr. Thorwaldson was appointed postmaster of Akra postoffice when the same was established in 1891, and has held the office since that date. He and his wife own four hundred and eighty acres of good land, and in 1898 a pleasant and comfortable residence was erected.
Mr. Thorwaldson was married in North Dakota to Miss Thorunn Bjornsdotter, to whom he was engaged in his native country. Ten children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Thorwaldson, named as follows : Thorwald ; Bjorn ; Wilmur P., deceased ; Olafer K. ; Wilmer P. ; Aleph S. ; Paulina : Thorbjorg G. ; Jennie E. and Thoren S., deceased. Our subject was the first treasurer of Akra township, and has since served in that capacity. He was the Republican candidate for the state legislature in 1896. but the ticket was defeated. He is a delegate to county and state conventions, and is active in public affairs. He holds membership in the Lutheran church and Modern Woodmen of America. [Source: Compendium of History and Biography of North Dakota, Publ. 1900. Transcribed by B.Z.]
SWAIN THORWALDSON, who enjoys the distinction of being the youngest officer in the court house in Pembina county, is rapidly rising to prominence and carries a remarkable influence for one of his years. He is a gentleman of integrity and persistent efforts, and is serving in the capacity of deputy auditor of Pembina county. Our subject was born in Kyelduskogum, Iceland, May 25, 1875, and was a son of Thorwaldur and Vilborg (Jonsdotter) Stigson. He was the youngest of fifteen children, and his father died while our subject was an infant. In 1881, the mother and eight children, piloted by the eldest son, crossed the water, and in September, located at St. Vincent, Minnesota, and soon afterward came to Akra township, and there purchased land, and our subject was reared to farm life. He was deprived of school advantages until his fourteenth year, and he then finished the common schools and clerked in his brother's store at Akra. He entered the Globe Business College at St. Paul, Minnesota, in 1896, and after completing the business course returned as clerk in his brother's store, and in August, 1898, purchased land in Avon township. He was appointed deputy auditor of Pembina county in March, 1899, and took up his residence in the city of Pembina, and is now serving in that capacity and is gaining popularity as a public official. Our subject was married, in 1898, to Miss Kristbjorg Johnson, also a native of Iceland. One son has been born to Mr. and Mrs. Thorwaldson, upon whom they have bestowed the name of Waldimar Stigur. Mr. Thorwaldson is a Republican in political sentiment, and is a man who keeps pace with the times and lends his influence for good government and the upbuilding of the community in which he makes his home, and well merits his high standing. [Source:"History and Biography of North Dakota". Transcribed by Susan Ripley]
HERBERT C. THOMSON, a member of the firm of Thomson Brothers, dealers in hardware and lumber, in Bowesmont, Pembina county, is one of the rising young business men of that locality. He has been identified with he financial growth of the town and county and is widely and favorably known. Our subject was born in Goderich, Ontario, Canada, December 19, 1864, and was the fourth in a family of five children born to James and Elizabeth (Collins) Thomson. His father is well known in Pembina county as a gentleman of good business ability and much social influence. He was born in Glasgow, Scotland, in November, 1830, and is now traveling in quest of better health. The mother of our subject was a native of England, and the parents emigrated to, America while children, and were married in London, Ontario, where the father established himself in the wagon-maker's trade. To provide land and possessions for his children he went to Pembina county, North Dakota, in September, 1880, and entered claim to land in section 21, in Lincoln township, and the family joined him there in the spring of 1881. This was the beginning of a permanent settlement near Bowesmont, and through the influence of Mr. Thomson many Canadian families were induced to try their fortunes in Dakota. The father of our subject sold his farming interests in 1887 and removed to Neche, Pembina county, and became cashier of the Bank of Neche. He went to Bowesmont, in July, 1890, and established a hardware and lumber business, and in 1891 our subject became a partner of the business. A brother, Oscar W., bought a partnership in the business in 1895, and the father retired to private life, and now enjoys the fruit of his labors. He was always a stanch Republican and a man of broad ideas and good business qualifications. Mr. Thomson has prospered in the mercantile business and the firm now has a liberal trade and is one of the well known business firms of that locality. Our subject has served as postmaster of the Bowesmont office since 1894 and is a popular and efficient officer.
Mr. Thomson was married, in 1888, to Miss Mary Spinning. Five children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Thomson, named as follows : Edna, Roy, Ross, Lynn and Fred. Mr. Thomson is a member of the Modern Woodmen of America and Ancient Order of United Workmen. In political faith he is a Democrat and is firm in his convictions, but is popular with the people regardless of party affiliations. [Source: Compendium of History and Biography of North Dakota, Publ. 1900. Transcribed by Dena Whitesell]
JUDGE NEWTON C. YOUNG is a prominent and successful lawyer who is now serving as associate judge, and is the youngest juror ever on the supreme bench in North Dakota. On his admission to the bar he located in Bathgate, this state, and it was not long before his abilities became widely recognized and he built up an excellent practice, which he continued to enjoy until appointed to his present responsible position. He is now living in Fargo. Judge Young was born in Mt. Pleasant, Iowa, January 28, 1802, and is a son of Charles S. and Joanna E. (Williams) Young, both natives of Ohio. The father, who has followed farming throughout life, removed from Fulton County, Ohio, to Mt. Pleasant, Ohio, in 1849, and is now a resident of Fremont county, Iowa. The grandfather, William Young, was a native of Belfast, Ireland, and emigrated to America in 1810, locating in Pennsylvania. He, too, was a farmer.
During his boyhood and youth Judge Young was provided with excellent educational advantages. After attending the schools of Tabor, Iowa, he entered the Iowa City Academy from which he was graduated in 1882. He graduated from Iowa State University in 1886, and from the law department of that institution in 1887. In June of that latter year, he opened an office in Bathgate, North Dakota, where he was actively engaged in practice until appointed to fill the unexpired term of Judge G. C. Corless, on the supreme bench in 1898. This appointed was followed by his election in November, 1898, for a full term. Prior to this time he had filled some local positions, and was state s attorney of Pembina county from 1892 until 1896. In 1887 Judge Young married Miss Ida B. Clarke, a native of Iowa City, and also a graduate of the State University located at that place. Her parents were Charles F. and Julia B. Clarke. Our subject and his wife have three children: Laura B., Horace C. and Dorothea P.
Fraternally the Judge is a member of the Masonic Order, the Knights of Pythias and the Ancient Order of United Workmen. Politically he is an ardent Republican and has served on the county and state committees. He is a genial, courteous gentleman, a pleasant, entertaining companion, and has many stanch and admiring friends among all classes. As an energetic, upright and conscientious lawyer and a gentleman of attractive social qualities, he stands high in the esteem of all who know him. [Source: Compendium of History and Biography of North Dakota, Publ. 1900. Transcribed by Brenda Shaffer]
BJORN F. WALTERS, deputy sheriff of Pembina county, stands among the rising young men of North Dakota. He has gained an assured position as a public-spirited citizen, and is a man of ability and practical nature, and has gained his reputation through honest industry and strict adherence to justice, and is a representative man of the community in which he makes his home. Our subject was born in Iceland, October 7, 1869, and is the third in a family of four children born to Josafat and Gudny (Gudlogsdottir) Walters. The father farmed in Iceland, and our subject received a good education and studied English some in his native place. The family emigrated to the United States in 1885, and located in Dakota territory, where one of the daughters had resided two years. The father was aged, and the support of the family fell upon our subject, then fifteen years of age. He located the family at Pembina, and began working out at farm labor among the agriculturists of that locality. He never attended the English schools, but read books of all kinds, and well remembers reading twice the first book he attempted before he mastered the sense of what he read. He began work for the Northern Pacific Railroad in 1888, as assistant agent, and in 1890 established a dray line in Pembina, and later again entered the employ of the Northern Pacific Railroad Company. He was appointed deputy sheriff of Pembina county in 1896, and served one year, and in 1897 went to Winnipeg, and founded an Icelandic paper, known as "Heimskringla," (The Globe). He became deputy sheriff' again in Pembina county in 1899, and is now serving in that position and is ably discharging the duties entrusted to him and gaining popularity with the people. Our subject was married, in 1889, to Miss Sophia Halldorson. Four children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Walters, named as follows: Johannes, Svava, Halldora Asta, and Haraldur Oscar. Mr. Walters has mixed in public affairs since his early manhood and has a strong following in his community. He holds membership in the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, Ancient Order of United Workmen, and Modern Woodmen of America, and politically is a Democrat, and is an earnest worker for party principles. He has made a success of his career in North Dakota and is deservedly popular. [Source:"History and Biography of North Dakota". Transcribed by Susan Ripley]
PAUL WILLIAMS, county auditor of Pembina county, is of the popular and efficient public officials of the county. He has resided in that locality for many years, and has an extensive farm in Liberty township, the homestead being in section 18 where he located in 1882. Mr. Williams has been identified with the educational affairs of that region almost continuously since taking up his residence there, and is a well known instructor, and a man of excellent education and character, and is deservedly held in high esteem.
Our subject was born in Prince Edward county, Province of Ontario, Canada, November 8, 1850, and is the fifth of a family of seven children who grew to maturity, born to Dr. Daniel Y. and Sarah (Trumpour) Williams. The father is of English extraction and resides in Canada at an advanced age, and the mother was of German descent. Our subject was reared on a farm and at the age of sixteen years entered Bellville University and continued there until the year of his graduation, when he discontinued his studies and began teaching school. Subsequently he entered Ontario Commercial College, and completed the course of study with the class of 75. He then taught one year, and later went to the Pacific coast in the fall of 1876, and worked in the quartz mines, later prospecting for himself. In the spring of 1882 on his return trip to his home he changed his course of travel and arrived in Pembina, June 12, and soon afterward began work on a farm in that vicinity and the following winter cut cord wood at Cavalier. In July of the first summer spent there he filed claim to land in section 18 in what is now Liberty township, and erected a frame shanty, and in the fall of that year was joined by his wife and children, and has followed farming to some extent since that time. He began teaching in the town of Cavalier and also taught thirteen terms of school in Akra and was identified with the educational interests of Pembina county until 1898. He began the development of his farm about 1885, and now owns four hundred and eighty acres, all of which is well improved, and is now conducted by the eldest son of our subject.
Mr. Williams was married, in 1887, to Miss Martha Loomer. Two sons have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Williams, as follows: Alvah, who now conducts the home farm, and LaFayette. Mr. Williams was elected county auditor of Pembina county in the fall of 1898, and has held the office since that date, and discharged the duties of his position with fidelity and increasing popularity. He is a strong temperance man, and a member of the Christian church, and politically is a Republican. ["History and Biography of North Dakota". Transcribed by Kim Mohler]
© Genealogy Trails