Transcribed Obituaries

Surnames Beginning with

Steuben County
New York

In this village yesterday morning, BETSEY, aged about 4 years, daughter of Mr. Levi Daggett.
Farmer's Advocate (Bath, NY) March 23, 1831.

DARROW - On the 14th of February, Serepta E. Darrow, at Utica Lunatic Asylum - where she had been for one year. From the effect of a serious illness derangement of the mind followed, and no effort proved of any avail to save her. Deceased was 54 years old, and formerly from Steuben County, N. Y.
Inter Ocean (Chicago, IL) Monday, February 19, 1877; pg. 8; Issue 284; col. F.

John Davenport, a prominent citizen of Steuben county, died in Bath, N.Y., on Sunday in the sixtieth year of his age. He was the oldest living son of Colonel Ira Davenport,
one of the earliest settlers of Steuben county. He graduated at Amherst College. He was president for many years of the Davenport Home for Female Orphan Children, established by his father and maintained entirely at the expense of the family.
New York Herald (New York, NY) Tuesday, May 7, 1895; pg. 14.

     John Davenport, one of the most prominent citizens of Steuben county died at Bath, N.Y., on May 6, in the sixtieth year of his age. He was the oldest living son of the late Colonel Ira Davenport, one of the earliest settlers of Steuben county. He was graduated at Amherst College and afterward returned to his home, never seeking public position but occupying himself throughout his life in works of charity and benevolence.
Boston Journal (Boston, MA) May 8, 1895; page 2.

     Edwin D. Davis died at his home about two miles from this village on Sunday, at the age of 81 years. Death was due to hardening of the arteries and a general breakdown, which followed a long period of poor health. He was one of our oldest residents and had spent nearly his whole life in this locality. Besides his wife, he is survived by two daughters, Mrs. May Cornell of Woodhull, Mrs. Maude Halninen of Cameron, and one son, Eddie Davis of this place. Also two sisters, Mrs. Hattie Wiley of Hornell and Mrs. Richard Davis of Troupsburg, and one brother, David Davis. The funeral was held Tuesday at 2 o'clock from the house. Burial in the __.
Canisteo Times (Canisteo, NY) June 12, 1918; page 4, col. 3.

MRS. MARY E. DAVIS was born in Greenwood, Steuben Co., N.Y., Oct. 2, 1846. Her parents, Brother and Sister Zeba Cook, brought her up in the knowledge and fear of God. In her parental home, where the family altar has been steadily kept up, on one of the occasions of domestic worship, when about nine years of age, Sister D. was hopefully converted, and henceforth dedicated her life and services to God. She was married to Mr. Julius E. Davis Dec. 14, 1875 who lives to cherish her virtues, but mourn her departure from him on Friday morning, Dec. 6, 1878. Sister D., in all the relations of life was highly esteemed, beloved and useful. As a Christian and worker in the Sunday School and other departments of church labor, she was faithful and efficient. She retained her post of duty until failing health and strength compelled her to abandon it. Of our deceased sister
it has also been said that she was much beloved and enemies she had none. Her end corresponded with her life. During her fatal sickness of about thirteen weeks, while the
outward man was slowly and almost imperceptibly sinking and declining, she manifested a submissive spirit. At first she had a ? to recover if in accordance with the Divine will,
but when it was announced to her that hope of recovery was abandoned, she received the message with unmurmuring Christian submission. On rallying from quite a low state in the progress of her disease, she remarked her work was not quite done, refering to some secular family matters. These being adjusted, she said: "I am now ready." Her influence on neighbors who visited and watched with her was obviously beneficial. The deceased took an active part, as is the wont of the whole family, in the family devotion up to the last
evening but one. As she sat in her chair and rested her feet on an opposite chair, or as she lay prostate upon her bed, she summoned failing energies and faltering voice in prayer. She literally died at her post. Being dead she yet speaks to bereft relatives, friends, church and community. H. BUTLIN.
Northern Christian Advocate (Syracuse, NY) Thursday, February 27, 1879; pg. 7.

died at her home near Boyd's landing on Thursday last, Aug. 18, 1899, after an illness extending over a period of two years. The funeral was held on Saturday at Cameron Mills, her former home.
Prattsburg News (Prattsburg, NY) August 24, 1899; page 3.

MRS. SARAH M. DAVIS died Friday morning. The remains were taken to Cameron Mills, where the funeral service and interment took place.
Hammondsport Herald (Hammondsport, NY) Wednesday, August 23, 1899; page 2, col. 2.

Death of Mr. Dearstyne.
     ASBURY PARK, N.J., June 7. - John H. Dearstyne of Bath, N.Y., a cottager here, died of heart failure. He was a prominent politician and was well known throughout New York state.
Trenton Evening Times (Trenton, NJ) June 7, 1893; page 6.

Mrs. Solomon Deck died at her home in Elm Street, on Monday morning after an illness of several months. She was seventy three years of age and was born in the town of Cameron. She was married on the 3rd of August, 51 years ago to Solomon Deck of this place and had since lived in this locality and for 12 years in the town of Jasper. She was a member of the Jasper M. E. church for many years, and was highly respected by all who knew her. She was a devoted mother and a kind and loving wife. She leaves to mourn her loss her husband, Solomon Deck, one son, R. S. Deck of Whitesville, one daughter, Mrs. Chas. Bender of Fultonville, N. Y., and several grandchildren. The funeral will be held from the home Wednesday afternoon at 3 o'clock. Burial in Jasper cemetery.
Canisteo Times (Canisteo, NY).

     Elias Demun, who died at the St. James hospital at Hornell, of pneumonia and complications, was buried Sunday. The funeral was held from his late home at 2 o'clock. He leaves his wife, one daughter, Lois, and one son, Howard; 4 brothers, John of Howard, Theron of Rathbone, Almeron of Woodhull, Melvin of Susquehanna, Pa., and two sisters, Mrs. Frank Prutsman and Mrs. Calvin Sherman of this town.
Canisteo Times (Canisteo, NY) March 27, 1918; page 8, col. 6.

Mrs. Mary DeMunn of Troupsburgh Dead
     Mrs. Mary DeMunn, 56, died at her home in Troupsburgh village Tuesday at 11 a. m. after an illness of 11 days from heart trouble and bronchitis. She was widely known and highly respected. Her husband, Elias DeMunn died 7 years ago. She was the daughter of the late Edward Waght.
     She leaves a daughter Mrs. Lewis Fisk and a son, Howard DeMunn of Troupsburg, 2 sisters, Mrs. Edward Tobias of Troupsburg and Mrs. Edward Drake of Jasper. The funeral will be held at 2 p. m., Friday from the home, Rev. A. R. LeRoy, former pastor of the Troupsburgh Baptist church offficiating. Burial in Mt. Hope cemetery.
Canisteo Times (Canisteo, NY) 1926.

ANN E. BACHELDER DENNIS, wife of Boardman Dennis, died at North Jasper, Oct. 26, 1881, of consumption, in the 26th year of her age.  Sister Dennis was a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church on probation. She had not been received into full connection because of fading health, but was fully prepared for full fellowship either in the church militant or the church triumphant. She died in the faith of the Gospel and the blood of Jesus, and rests in the arms of a loving Savior. She leaves behind a loving companion and goes to meet a loving child. May the little groups meet at the fountain in the paradise of God.
Northern Christian Advocate (Syracuse, NY) Thursday, December 15, 1881; pg. 7.

Death of Mrs. Boardman Dennis
Jasper and community was saddened Monday morning by the death of Mrs. Boardman Dennis, wife of the late Boardman Dennis, who has lived her entire life among us. She was born in Jasper November 27, 1856 and was the daughter of Jonathan Luther Ordway and Orissa E. Clark. Mrs. Dennis was known as a fine and noble woman. She had wisdom and understanding and exericised love, never speaking ill of anyone. When a girl she taught in the Jasper schools. In 1874 she joined the Jasper Presbyterian church, being the second oldest member. She loved the church and faithfully attended and supported it. She was united in marriage Aug. 15, 1883 to Boardman Dennis of Jasper and to them was born one son, Clark, with whom she lived. Mrs. Dennis was a devoted wife and kind mother. Besided he son, Clark, she has two nieces, Claire Ordway of Lenoir, North Carolina and Gretta Ordway of Yonkers, N. Y. Although Mrs. Dennis was frail in body, she was always cheerful and was in usual good health until January 20, she suffered paralysis from which she never rallied. Loving hands ministered to her needs and everything possible was done for her comfort. Funeral services were held Wednesday afternoon at 2:30 in the Presbyterian church with its pastor, Rev. E. T. Cooke officiating, burial in the Jasper cemetery.
Canisteo Times (Canisteo, NY) January 28, 1932; page 6, col. 1.

In Susquehanna, Jan. 8, Mr. S. B. DENNIS, formerly of the Dickinson House, Corning.
The Voice of the Nation (Addison, NY) Wednesday, January 17, 1855.

The remains of John Dennison were taken to Bradford, N.Y., last week Tuesday for burial. Mr. Dennison was born in West Union in 1880. He is survived by his wife and five children, his father, George Dennison of Hornell; two sisters, Mrs. James Cocoman of Rexville and Mrs. Bert Leach of Troupsburg, and one brother, Lee Dennison, of Hornell. Rev. Guy Ovenshire officiated at the burial. D. A. Owens, funeral director.
Canisteo Times (Canisteo, NY) December 25, 1918; page 6, col. 1.

Elijah Depew Ran Over by a Switch Engine at the Cass St. Crossing and Probably Fatally Injured.
     This morning Elijah Depew, a well known character about town was run over by a switch engine in the yard, near the Cass street crossing and fatally injured. He is a deaf person, and started to run across the tracks near that crossing, towards Taylor street, when, as he turned round the switch tower, going onto the track, he ran right in front of a moving switch engine comming up the track, and before he could see the situation of the engineer could stop the engine he was under the wheels, which passed over his limbs, just below the body.
     Judging from his condition he must have had both legs run over, and then he tried to pull himself out from under the engine, and in doing so they were run over again in another place. His limbs were, in fact, crushed to a pulp from top to bottom almost, from appearances.
     After being released he was placed upon a stretcher, and then on a flat car and taken to the depot. While there he appeared to be strong and could speak and had his usual senses, but it was apparent that his injuries were terrible.
     The ambulance was summoned, and he was removed to the hospital, where a very brief inspection showed that his case was hopeless. Arrived at the hospital the injured man was taken to the operating room, where the physcians in charge, Drs. Green, Parkhill and Lawrence made an examination. He died about an hour after his arrival at the hospital.
     The victim was a simple minded man, and very deaf. In addition to this infermity he ordinarily wore his head very much wrapped up, so that it was hard for him to hear and observe very readily, which habit and infirmity were undoubtedly responsible for the accident which resulted so fatally.
Hornellsville Weekly Tribune (Hornellsville, New York) Friday, December 29, 1899; pg. 6.

SISTER LYDIA JANE DIMICK died at Thurston Dec. 26, 1879, aged 52 years.
     Sister Dimick was born in Eagle Valley, near Savona, and the whole of her life has been spent within a few miles of this place. Her maiden name was Thompson. She was
married to Brother Edward Dimick in 1853, for whom she has been an industrious and dutiful companion in the toils of life. She was happily and truly converted in a revival
on North Hill, by the labors of Brother Merritt, in the winter of 1860. Since that time she has been an acceptable member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and a devoted
Christian. As a Christian she was calm and quiet, and very careful of her personal influence. She was a kind neighbor, an affectionate mother, who could not do enough for
her children, a true Christian friend to the minister, and a great lover of the church. Although the day of her death overtook her unexpectedly, yet she manifested no fear;
she was prepared. She leaves a bereaved husband and five children.   J. C. STEVENS.
Northern Christian Advocate (Syracuse, NY) Thursday, February 5, 1880; pg. 7.

In Painted Post, on Wednesday last, Mr. JESSE DOOLITTLE, merchant, aged 38 years, in a fit of numb palsy.
The Farmer's Advocate (Bath, NY) December 28, 1831.

     Liberal, Mo, Mar 16 - Henry Dorman, 115 years old, died at his home here today. He served in both the Mexican war and the civil war. Family records showed that he was born in Steuben county, New York, January 10, 1799.
The Evening News (San Jose, CA) Monday, March 16, 1914; page 1, col. 5.

     HORNELL, N.Y., Aug. 9. - Captain Nelson Doty, a veteran of the Civil War, who would have been 100 years old had he lived until next April, died today at his home
in Canisteo.
New-York Tribune (New York, NY) Tuesday, August 10, 1920; pg. 9.

Death of Infant.
The six months old daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Francis Drake of the Milwaukee district, South Canisteo, died suddenly Monday night of acute indigestion. The parents have much sympathy in their sad loss.
Canisteo Times (Canisteo, NY) April 26, 1916; front page. 

DRAKE.-Almira J. Drake died at her home in Jasper, N.Y., March 12, 1890. She was born in Middlefield, Otsego county, N.Y., July 7, 1840, and was the daughter of Rev. R. S. Lent. She was converted when 14 years old, and joined the Methodist Episcopal church. She married Sidney Drake Jan. 22, 1862, and they settled in Jasper. Her husband and two sons remain to mourn their loss. Her sickness, a lung disease, was long and painful, but through it all she was cheerful and hopeful. Toward the last she was triumphant.
She said to her friends, "The gate stands ajar for me. What would I do now without this hope?" A week before her death she called the members of the family to her room and charged them all to meet her in Heaven. She often spoke of meeting her mother, Maria Lent, who died only a short time before. Living only about three miles apart they had not seen each other for nearly a year. The funeral was held at the Methodist Episcopal church in Jasper, N.Y.
E. G. W. HALL.
Northern Christian Advocate (Syracuse, NY) Thursday, April 10, 1890; pg. 7.

     Francis, the ten days old baby of Mr. and Mrs. Francis Drake of Jasper died Monday. The funeral was held today at 10 a.m., Rev. E. D. Howland officiateing. Burial in Hillside cemetery.
Canisteo Times (Canisteo, NY) May 29, 1918; page 5, col. 1.

Mrs. Olive Drake of West Jasper died Sunday evening at 8 o'clock from pneumonia, following an attack of influenza. She is survived by her husband, Guy Drake, and two small children; her mother, Mrs. Mettie Quick of Norton Hollow, two sisters and three brothers. A half-brother, Leonard King, was buried Sunday, having died from the same disease.
Canisteo Times (Canisteo, NY) November 6, 1918; page 5, column 3.

Rev. G. J. DuBois, a superannuate of Genesee Conference, died in Canisteo, N.Y., the 31st ult. He was an intense sufferer, but bore his affliction patiently and died
in triumphant faith.
Northern Christian Advocate (Syracuse, NY) Thursday, April 7, 1881; pg. 5.

Rev. G. J. DuBois
     Rev. G. J. DuBois, of the East Genesee Conference, was born in New Hudson, N.Y., in the year 1828, and died in Canisteo, N.Y., March 31, 1881, aged 53 years.
     He became a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church in the sixth year of his age. He received his license to exhort in 1850, in the twenty-second year of his age; one year after he was licensed to preach. In the fall of 1853, at the session of the East Genesee Conference held in Elmira, N.Y., he was received on trial, and two years after into full connection with the Conference. His first appointment was to Wellsboro, Pa. For the next twenty years he received his appointments regularly to the following fields of labor: Angelica, Jasper, Orleans, Pultneyville, Sodus, Chemung, Troy, Pa., Burlington, Big Flats, Groveland, Springwater, Carlton. In the year 1874, he took a superannuated relation, and continued in this relation until the fall of 1876. During his superannuation he graduated at the New York Homeopathic Medical College. In the fall of 1876 he was again returned to the effective list and was appointed to the Pultney charge, and from thence to Jasper, where his health completely gave way, and he was compelled to go upon the retired list. For one year and nearly seven months, he continued in great suffering of body, when death came and released him from all mortal anguish and pain. During the long months of his sufferings, which were oftentimes excruciating, he did not for one moment lose his faith in his Divine Savior. He had at all times peace of soul, and often it was more than peace - it was glorious triumph. A few days before his death I was standing near him, and at my side stood his wife and son; he said to me: "Mrs. DuBois and Fred cannot be reconciled to m great suffering; it is all right, I have no fault to find with it; I wish you could help them to see that it is all right."
     On the Sabbath before his death, it being communion day, he requested that the Lord's supper be administered to himself and family. It was an occasion none present can ever forget. All felt to commemorate the death of Christ, in what must, in the near future, be the chamber of death, was deeply impressive and solemn. To our brother there was no fear in death. He shouted his triumph over death, hell and the grave. After some moments of triumph he said to his presiding elder and pastor, and others present, "I love you all. Tell my brethren in the ministry I love them all." He then joined in singing
      "Blest be the tie that binds
       Our hearts in Christian love;
       The fellowship of kindred minds
       Is like to that above."
     He then bade all good bye, saying, "I shall never see you all again on earth. God bless you and may we meet in heaven."
     To our brother the veil has been drawn aside. He is now standing within the mighty temple of God. He is permitted to see what no human eye can see, to hear what no
human ear can hear, and to experience what no heart on earth has ever known. The veil is yet over us. We now see through a glass darkly. We are now like to those who stand outside a mighty temple, seeing occasionally the glories streaming through its gorgeous windows and hearing the glorious music rolling through the dome. Soon the veil of our flesh will be put aside, and the good shall stand within the temple of God to go out no more forever, worshiping Him that sitteth upon the throne for ever and ever.
     The funeral services were attended at the Methodis Episcopal Church in Canisteo Friday, April 1. Six of the members of Bath District were present and took part, T. J. Bissel, presiding elder of the district, A. Countryman, C. W. Winchester, C. Patterson, C. R. Buck and D. W. Gates. The remains were deposited in our village cemetery with the full burial service of our Church, all clergymen present taking part. Horatious Bonar's beautiful language expressed the feelings of his comrades as we looked into the open grave:
     "Rest for the toiling hand,
      Rest for the anxious brow,
      Rest for the weary, way-sore feet
      Rest from all labor now.
      Rest for the fevered brow,
      Rest for the throbbing eye;
      Through these parched lips of thine no more
      Shall pass the moan or sigh.
      Soon shall the trump of God
      Give out the welcome sound,
      That shakes thy silent chamber-walls
      And breaks the turf-sealed ground.
      Ye dwellers in the dust,
      Awake, come forth and sing!
      Sharp has your frost of winter been,
      But bright shall be your spring."
                            D. W. GATES.
Northern Christian Advocate (Syracuse, NY) Thursday, April 14, 1881; pg. 2.

Beverly Ann Dundas, 58, of 2 Stiles St., died at her home Monday, April 28, 1986. She was born March 24, 1928 in Corning, the daughter of Thomas and Robbina Spence Flynn. She was a life resident of the Corning and Painted Post areas. She attended St. Patrick's School and Corning Free Academy. She married William H. Dundas II in St. Patrick's Church of Corning in 1944. She was a communicate of St. Patrick's Church. Surviving are: her husband William, one daughter, Janice Ann (Mrs. William) Beaver of Minot Air Force Base, ND; one son Duane F. Dundas of Painted Post; a brother, James R. Flynn of Bath; three sisters, Helen (Mrs. Leslie) Travis of Elmira, Kathleen (Mrs. Loren) Miller of Lindley and Patricia Quigley of Corning; four grandchildren; several nieces, nephews and cousins. A son William H. Dundas III, died July 25, 1981, and a son Thomas H. Dundas, died 1946.
The Corning Leader (Corning, NY) April 1986. Submitted by Jan Dundas Beaver.

Thomas H. Dundas, infant twin, son of Mr. and Mrs. William H. Dundas, Jr. of 110 Wall St., died at the Corning Hospital, Thursday at 8:20 PM. He was born at the hospital, Monday, October 7. Mrs. Dundas in the former Beverly Flynn. The infant is survived by his parents, a twin sister, Janice Ann, a maternal grandmother, Mrs. Robbina B. Flynn, a paternal grandmother, Mrs. Loretta Dundas, and several aunts and uncles. Prayer services will be held today at 3:30 PM at the A. W. Beilby and Son Funeral Home. Burial will be in St. Mary's Cemetery.
The Corning Leader (Corning, NY) October 11, 1946. Submitted by Jan Dundas Beaver.

A graveside service for William H. Dundas II, was held at the Dundas family plot, St. Mary's Cemetery, 375 Park Avenue, Corning, NY on August 21st at 9:00 A.M. William was a long time resident of the Corning/Painted Post area. He was born in Keesville, NY March 9th, 1925. As a young man growing up during the depression, he quit school to help support his family. William and his family moved To Corning in the 1940's. He started working at the Corning Glass Works and remained there for over 40 years. During that time he met and married the former Beverly Flynn who preceded him in death in 1986. Together they had four children; Thomas, Janice, William III, and Duane. Thomas and William III preceded him in death in 1946 and 1981 respectively. After the death of his wife Beverly and retirement from the Corning Glass Works he moved to Hudson, NY. He remained there till his death on May 8th, 2008. From 1948 to 1984 William served with pride in the US Army National Guard and Reserves. In 1978 while on two weeks active duty training at Ft. Leonard Wood, Missouri William tested and was awarded his high school diploma. William was a lifetime member of the American Legion and the NRA. In his spare time, when there was any, he also taught hunter and gun safety courses which he continued until 2 years before his death. William is survived by one son, Duane F. Dundas, Corning; one daughter, Janice Beaver, Minot, ND; one son-in-law, William M Beaver, Minot, ND; grandchildren: Shawn, Thomas, Christopher and Jamie; great grandchildren: Addison, Mckinzey, Sandra and Ryan; great-great granddaughter: Victoria; brother's-in law: James Flynn, Bath, NY; Douglas Coville, Cortland, NY; sisters-in-law: Patricia Quigley, Corning, NY; Maureen Flynn, Bath, NY; and several nieces and nephews.
The Corning Leader (Corning, NY) August 2008. Written and submitted by Janice Dundas and Shawn Patrick Sprayberry.

William H. Dundas III, 2 Stiles St., Painted Post, died near Westfield, PA following an automobile accident Saturday, July 25, 1981. He was born January 5, 1948 in Corning, the son of William H. Dundas II and Beverly Flynn Dundas. He was a graduate of St. Patrick's School, West High School in 1966 and attended Rochester Institute of Technology. He was a lab supervisor for the Eberle Tanning Co., in Westfield. Surviving are his parents; a daughter, Jamie of Rochester; a sister, Mrs. William (Janice) Beaver of San Antonio, Texas; a brother, Duane F. Dundas of Painted Post; three nephews, several aunts and uncles.
The Corning Leader (Corning, NY) July 1981. Submitted by Jan Dundas Beaver.

died at Stephens Mills, Steuben Co., N.Y., Feb. 17, 1882. Bro. Dunham's death was so sudden that the entire community was greatly shocked by the announcement. At eleven o'clock A.M., of the date of his death, he was with Sister Dunham, who now survives him , was in attendance at the funeral of a neighbor deceased. Hardly had we finished reading the burial service at the grave when the sad intelligence came to us that "Father Dunham," familiarly called, had fallen down dead in his dooryard. He was in his eighty-third year, and thus had seen all of the present century. At the early age of eighteen he gave his heart to the Lord and united himself with the Methodist
Episcopal Church. His superior natural endowments soon attracted the attention of the society, and he was given a license to preach. In this capacity he labored worthily and faithfully the remainder of his life. What is recorded of Barnabas may be said of him - "He was a good man and full of the Holy Ghost and of faith." During the years of his ministry he was successful in leading many souls to Christ, and now that his work is done, we rejoice to know he has not gone to judgment empty handed. His aged companion and five children who live to mourn their loss, have the sympathy of the church and this community. F.M. COLE
Northern Christian Advocate (Syracuse, NY) Thursday, May 25, 1882; pg. 7.

DUNKELL.-John N. Dunkell was born in Mindon, N.Y., Aug. 8, 1836, and died in Jasper, N.Y., July 30, 1895. He was married to Miss Mary Failing Jan. 1, 1861. To them were born several children, four of whom remain with the mother to mourn the demise of our brother beloved. He was converted when about nineteen years of age in Mindon, and joined our  church there, but soon removed to Jasper, where he was ever after an honored member. During that time he held various official positions, and he was at the time of his death trustee, steward, usher, and Sunday-school librarian. A good man has gone out from among us who will be sorely missed. JOHN WOOTON.
Northern Christian Advocate (Syracuse, NY) Wednesday, August 28, 1895; pg. 15.