Westchester County
New York

Finding Ancestors wherever their trails led
Genealogy and History


Obituaries and Death Notices

ALLEN, DR. James H.
Irvington, N.Y., Aug. 8, (1858) ae. 41. [Source: "Annual OBITUARY NOTICES OF EMINENT PERSONS who have died in the United States FOR 1858"; BY HON. NATHAN CROSBY; BOSTON: JOHN P. JEWETT AND COMPANY. 1859. Transcribed by Kim Mohler]


At New Rochelle, on Monday morning, Sept. 21, Mr. John Angevine, formerly of Scarsdale, Westchester Co., N. Y., in the 53d year of his age. His funeral will take place at 1 o'clock p.m. this day, (Tuesday) from his late residence, New-Rochelle. [New York Times, Sept. 22, 1857]

NEW YORK- Retired Air Force Lt. Colonel Lee A. Archer, a Tuskegee Airman considered to be the only black ace pilot who also broke racial barriers as an executive at a major U.S. company and founder of a venture capital firm, died Wednesday in New York City. He was 90. His son, Roy Archer, said his father died at Cornell University Medical Center in Manhattan. A cause of death was not immediately determined.
The Tuskegee Airmen were America's first black fighter pilot group in World War II. "It is generally conceded that Lee Archer was the first and only black ace pilot," credited with shooting down five enemy planes, Dr. Roscoe Brown Jr., a fellow Tuskegee Airman and friend, said in a telephone interview Thursday.
Archer was acknowledged to have shot down four planes and he and another pilot both claimed victory for shooting down a fifth plane. An investigation revealed Archer had inflicted the damage that destroyed the plane, said Brown and the Air Force eventually proclaimed him an ace pilot.
Archer, a resident of New Rochelle, N.Y., "lived a full life," said his son. "His last two or three years were amazing for him."
Archer was among the group of Tuskegee Airmen invited to attend President Barack Obama's inauguration in 2009. The airmen, who escorted bomber planes during the war fought with distinction, only to face bigotry and segregation when they returned home, were also awarded the Congressional Gold Medal for their service in 2007 by President George W. Bush.
Archer was "extremely competent, aggressive about asserting his position and sometimes stubborn," Brown said. "He had a heart of gold and treated people with respect. He demanded respect by the way he carried himself."
Brown estimated that about 50 or 60 of the 994 Tuskegee Airmen pilots are still alive.
Born on Sept. 6, 1919, in Yonkers and raised in Harlem, Archer left New York University to enlist in the Army Air Corps in 1941 but was rejected for pilot training because the military didn't allow blacks to serve as pilots.
"A War Department study in 1925 expressly stated that Negroes didn't have the intelligence, or the character, or the leadership to be in combat units and particularly, they didn't have the ability to be Air Force pilots," said Brown. Archer instead joined a segregated Army Air Corps unit at the Tuskegee, Ala., air base, graduating from pilot training in July 1943. After he retired from the military in 1970, Archer joined General Foods Corp., becoming one of the era's few black corporate vice presidents of a major American company.
He ran one of the company's small-business investment arms, North Street Capital Corp., which funded companies that included Essence Communications and Black Enterprise Magazine, according to his son and Brown.
Archer was an adviser to the late Reginald Lewis in the deal that created the conglomerate TLC Beatrice in 1987, then the largest black-owned and -managed business in the U.S.
After retiring from General Foods in 1987, Archer founded the venture capital firm Archer Asset Management.   Archer is survived by three sons and a daughter. His wife, Ina Archer, died in 1996. Services have yet to be announced. [By The Associated Press, Daily News Staff Writer - Friday, January 29, 2010 - Submtted by Leroy Sundin]

BARKER, John Henry

SING SING, N. Y., July 6. -- John Henry Barker, colored, was electrocuted here to-day for wife murder. The crime was committed on Aug. 30. 1895, just outside of White Plains. Barker was jealous of his wife and after being separated from her for some time returned on the date mentioned and shot her to death, after wards hacking her body with a spade. [14 Jul 1897; "Indiana State Journal", submitted by A Friend of Free Genealogy]

BATES, Alexander
-- on Friday, April 13, at Lawrence Park, Bronxville, N.Y., Alexander P. Bates, in the 79th year of his age.  Interment at Monroe, Mich. [New York Tribune (New York, NY) Pa ge 7 Sunday, April 15, 1894]

BEACH, William A.

Judge William A. Beach the distinqueshed lawyer, died at Tarrytown, N.Y. [The Daily Gazette Fort Wayne Indiana July 1 1884 - EB - sub by FoFG]

BLANCHARD, Rollo Kimball
Rollo Kimball Blanchard, 67, of Ardsley Park, Irvington, N.Y. died suddenly Saturday while vacationing in Clearwater, Fla. He is survived by two sons, Harry Cutler Blanchard of Westport and Kimball Blanchard of Greenwich and a daughter, Mrs. Robert T. Bower of Washington, D.C. Services will be held at his late home in Irvington with burial taking place in Barre, Vt. [April 29, 1953. The Norwalk Hour, Norwalk CT.]

BULL, Edward C.

CLASS OF 1834 - Edward Coleman Bull. (Non-graduate.)
Son of Epaphras W. Bull, Esq., and Mary Wells; born in Danbury, Conn., August 7, 1807; prepared for college under private tuition at Danbury; graduated at Yale College, 1826; studied law one year at Poughkeepsie, N.Y.; completing his course at Canandaigua, N.Y., and admitted to the bar there; decided to enter the ministry, and studied in this Seminary, 1831-32; graduated at the Theological Seminary of Virginia, 1834. He was ordained deacon in the Episcopal Church by Bishop Griswold, September 26, 1834; officiated at Taunton and Cambridge, Mass., Phillipstown, N.Y., and Woodbury, Conn.; ordained priest in Boston in May, 1838; was rector at Brookfield, Conn., 1838-41; at Westport, Conn., 1841-47; and at Rye, N.Y., 1847-58. His health failing, he resided afterwards without charge at Brooklyn, N.Y., Bridgeport, Conn., Saratoga Springs, N.Y., and, from 1872, at Tarrytown, N.Y.
“In character he was quiet, unpretentious, and guileless. His wide range of reading and his clear and original views of men and of affairs made him a delightful companion to the few who were privileged to know him intimately. He was a consistent Christian, and his faith made his life one of absolute serenity, despite the infirmities and deprivations growing out of his extreme age.”
Mr. Bull was married, in June, 1847, to Anna Maria Waite, of Westport, Conn. She died in 1864. He married, second, June 26, 1867, Mary Elizabeth Putnam, of Saratoga Springs, N.Y., daughter of Benjamin Risley Putnam and Eunice Morgan, who survives him.
Mr. Bull died of old age, at Tarrytown, N.Y., March 15, 1894, in his eighty-seventh year. [Source: "Necrology … Andover Theological Seminary (1828 – 1865)" transcribed by Kim Mohler]

BURD. -- At Yonkers, N. Y., Saturday, July 26, 1919, Elizabeth Ann Burd. Funeral services private, on Tuesday at 78 North Broadway, Yonkers. [New York Tribune July 29, 1919 - Sub. by a Friend of Free Genealogy]

BUTLER, George
, son of Rev. David BUTLER, Rector of St. Paul's Church at Troy, died Aug. 27, in Scarsdale, N.Y., age 31. (Sept. 6) [Source: "National Intelligencer", as pub. in the NGSQ, vol 55, No. 1, March 1967, sub mitted by K. T.]

BUTLER, Thomas
Mr. and Mrs. James A. Butler of New Rochelle, N.Y., were notified yesterday that their son, Second Lieut. Thomas Butler of the Marine Flying Corps, Fourth Division, was injured in an airplane accident Wednesday at Miami, Fla., and died late at night.  Lieut. Bu tler was 22 years old.  His father is a policeman in Pelham Manor.  He was an iron worker in New York city and had served a full enlistment as a seaman in the First Battallion of the Naval Militia.  On August 14 he married Miss Nan Stonberg of New Rochelle, who went with her mother to Jacksonville.  His wife still i s in Jacksonville, the guest of Capt. and Mrs. Gardiner.  The body will be taken to New Rochelle for burial. [The Sun. (New York [N.Y.]), August 23, 1918, Page 12]
Class of 1880 – CHARLES JAMES CHATFIELD (A.M.) Born, Aug. 4, 1844, Painted Post, N.Y. Son of Charles J. and Sarah D. (Foster) Chatfield. Was instructor in Commercial Arithmetic and Bookkeeping, and assistant military instructor, Cornell University, 1868; taught, Rye, N.Y., for several years and was afterwards employed in the New York Custom House.
Enlisted, 23rd N.Y. Volunteer infantry, May 16, 1861, as private; wounded, Groveton, Va., Aug. 30, 1862; mustered out with the regiment, May 23, 1863; enlisted as private, Jan. 2, 1864, 10th N.Y. cavalry; promoted to First Lieut., 20th battery, N.Y. light artillery, Apr. 4, 1864; received honorable discharge, July 7, 1864; enlisted as Sergeant, Veteran Reserve Corps, Dec., 1864; mustered out Mar. 2, 1866, being then First Lieut., 2nd U.S. Vol. Infantry. At the time of his death was Commander, Farnsworth Post, No. 170, G.A.R., and a companion of the Military Order of the Loyal Legion, U.S.
Died, Sept. 19, 1894, Mount Vernon, N.Y.
Married, Dec. 27, 1869, Rushford, N.Y., Mary A., daughter of Rev. William and Sarah N. (Jackson) Blake. Children: Mary A., Richard S., Arthur I., John L., Jessie K., Helen E., of whom three are dead. [Source: "Dartmouth College Necrology, 1899-1900", Hanover, N.H., Dartmouth Pre ss, 1899. Transcribed by Kim Mohler.]

COUTANT - At White Plains, on Monday, Sept. 11, John L. Coutant, aged 8 years, 10 months and 10 days. The friends and relatives of the family are invited to attend his funeral, at Trinity Church, at 2 o'clock, this day, Sept. 15. [New York Times Sept. 15, 1857]

DAVIS, Elizabeth B.
Death Of Mrs. Elizabeth Birdsall Davis
Mrs. Elizabeth Birdsall Davis, of Cortland, who died last Sunday morning at the home of her nephew, John W. Hawes, No. 125 North Broad st., in Peekskill, was the daughter of William Birdsall and Ann Hawes, a granddaughter of Solomon Hawes of Peekskill, and a great-granddaughter of Peletiah Hawes, who settled in Dedham or Wrentham, Mass., about 1624.  She was also the great-granddaughter of Daniel William Birdsall, who built and lived in the old Main St., Peekskill, headquarters of Generals Washington and Lafayette.
She was born in Peekskill on August 3, 1824.  She was married on November 23, 1842, to P. Bacon Davis of Norwich, Chenango County, this state.  Mr. Davis was a lineal descendant of Stephen Hopkins the Rhode Island signer of the Declaration of independence.  Mr. Davis removed, after a few years, to Cortland, where he practised law, and was a prominent and influential man. Mrs Davis leaves three sons, the eldest Deforest, a merchant in Gallion, Ohio;  James, a farmer at McLean, and Charles H., a photographer in this city. [New-York Tribune. (New York [N.Y.]), 17 April 1895]

EWING - Ellen Cox, daughter of the late Rev. William Cox, of Lancaster and Piqua, Ohio, and widow of General Thomas Ewing, suddenly, after a brief illness, at her home in Yonkers at midday, June 24, in the 86th year of her age. Notice of funeral hereafter. [NEW-YORK Tribune, June 25, 1919, Page 10 -- Transcribed by Nancy Overlander]

GIEDELHOUSE - On Sunday, July 27. 1919. Henry A., aged 67 years, dearly beloved husband of Mary (nee Feigel), father of George H. and Dr. Philip H. Gledelhouse and brother of Mrs. Sophia Halbe. Funeral services Tuesday evening at 8:30 o'clock, at his late residence, 577 East 3rd St., Mount Vernon. Interment private. [New York Tribune July 29, 1919 - Sub. by a Friend of Free Genealogy]

Hon. Abraham Hatfield, of Westchester County, N.Y., who is well known in Wisconsin, died last week. "Milwaukee Daily Sentinel", (Milwaukee, WI) Monday, Jan. 3, 1876. - Sub. by FoFG]

Haviland, David L. of 134 East Avenue, formerly of White Plains, N.Y. , died at the residence of Dr. A. C. Carpenter, 219 East 19th STreet, New York, Saturday, August 1, 1908. Norwalk Hour, August 1, 1908. ["The Hour", Norwalk, CT, Aug 1, 1908]

HAZEN, Richard
Class of 1907 - RICHARD HAZEN. C.E., 1909. B. 12 July, 1887, Hartford, Vt. Civil engineer. D. 13 Aug., 1911, Yonkers, N.Y. [Source: "Dartmouth College Necrology, 1910-1911, Hanover, N.H. Transcribed by Kim Mohler]

IRVING, Washington
Death of Washington Irving – This venerable author died at his residence at Irvington, N.Y., in the 77th year of his age. [The Oregon Argus (Oregon City, OR) – Saturday, January 7, 1860]

JAY, John
Died on Sunday the 17th inst. at his residence in Bedford, West Chester County, New York, the Hon. John Jay, in the 84th year of his age. [Republican Compiler, Gettysburg, PA, May 27, 1829]

JONES, Alice Palache
A. P. Jones, 82, Ex-Banker, Dies
Alice Palache Jones, retired vice president of the Fiduciary Trust Company of New York, died of complications arising from a heart condition yesterday at Northern Westchester Hospital Center in Mount Kisco. She was 82 years old and lived in North Salem, NY.
Mrs. Jones, a native of Cambridge, Mass., joined the company in 1933 as a trainee. She retired as senior vice president in 1974, after overseeing the bank’s move to the World Trade Center. Mrs. Jones was a director of the Dreyfus Third Century Fund, an investment fund, and a trustee of the North Salem Free Library. She had been a member and chairman of the North Salem Planning Board.
She graduated from Bryn Mawr cum laude in 1928 and was a member of the Bryn Mawr board of directors since 1951. In 1930 she was hired by Margaret Sanger to become executive director of the National Committee on Federal Legislation for Birth Control.
Her husband, Russell K. Jones, retired vice president of the now-defunct advertising agency Cunningham & Walsh, died in 1986. She is survived by two sisters, Mary Gregory and Jeanette Barker, both of Jaffrey, NH. [June 13, 1989, "New York Times", Submitted by Kathie Marynik]

JONES, LeBaron Wilmont, Dr.
Dr. LeBaron Wilmot Jones, 55, practicing physician in Pleasantville for 31 years, whose activities on various hospital staffs and skill at research work particularly with regard to infantile paralysis had won him fame, died at his home on Bedford Road, Pleasantville, yesterday, of heart trouble. Dr. Jones had been suffering with this disease the last two years. He was stricken at Cape Cod two years ago. The next attack came last summer. He continued to practice, however. The fatal attack occurred Sunday at his home. He regained consciousness from his last attack only a few times before his death.
Dr. Jones gained considerable prominence when he devised a course of exercise as a cure for the deformities left by infantile paralysis. His system was successful in many cases.
For 31 years he resided in and was practicing physician in Pleasantville. He came to Pleasantville in 1895. He was born in St. John, New Brunswick, May 5, 1870, the son of Albert S. and Cornelia Kennedy Jones. Dr. Jones was graduated from Arcadia College, then came to New York, entered Bellevue Medical College, and was graduated from that institution. He became an intern at Bellevue Hospital.
During the World War, Dr. Jones was chief examining surgeon of the draft board for Westchester and served for many years on the staff of the Ossining Hospital. He had a wide practice, which included well known New York families with country houses in Westchester.
Dr. Jones was a member of Pleasantville Lodge, F&AM, a charter member of the Pleasantville University Club, and member of the Mount Pleasant Tennis Club and Westchester County Medical Association, also a vestryman of St. Johns Church, Pleasantville.
Dr. Jones was married twice. His first wife, who was Miss Sarah Etta Brown of Eastview, died in 1916. Subsequently he married Miss Vera Brown of Eastview, who survives him. Two sons and a daughter also survive – Russell Kennedy Jones, Kenneth Wilmot Jones, and Evelyn Jones.
Funeral services will be held at St. John’s Church, Pleasantville, at 10:30 o’clock tomorrow morning. The Rev. [illegible] will officiate. Interment will be at Kensico Cemetery and for members of the family only. ["The Daily Reporter", White Plains, Submitted by Kathie Marynik - Thursday, April 29, 1926]

JONES, Russell Kennedy
JONES—Russell K., on October 3, 1986 of North Salem, NY. Husband of Alice; father of Alice Jones Taylor and the late Russell Kennedy Jones, Jr. Also survived by 6 grandchildren and 2 great-grandchildren. Memorial service at St. James Episcopal Church, North Salem, NY, Sunday, October 12, 1986 at 4 PM. [New York Times, October 7, 1986 - Submitted by Kathie Marynik]


DIED, On Saturday, Feb. 16, at Ossinging, Westchester county, N. Y. of scarlet fever, Mary Ann Kellogg, aged 7 years and 4 months; and on Monday, Feb. 18, of same disease, Edward Delavan, aged 5 years and 3 months, both children of Edward D. and Henrietta Truesdell. [Source: The Weekly Herald, (New York, NY) Saturday, February 23, 1856; transcribed by Susan Geist]

- Margaret T., at the residence of her sister, Mrs. John Carr, Scarsdale N. Y., July 27, 1919, in the 70th year of her age. Funeral private. [New York Tribune July 29, 1919 - Sub. by a Friend of Free Genealogy]

LAWRENCE, Charlotte E.
LAWRENCE - At Throng's Neck, Westchester County, on Wednesday evening, Sept. 16, Charlotte E., wife of D. Lynch Lawrence. The relatives and friends of the family are respectfully invited to attend the funeral, from the residence of her brother-in-law, Robert Grelet, No. 857 Broadway, on Saturday morning, at 10 o'clock, without further invitation. [New York Times, Sep. 1857]

Class of 1892 - HENRY ADOLPHE LE BARBIER. B. 16 Sept., 1858, New York, N.Y. Physician. D. 21 Jan., 1907, Larchmont, N.Y. [Source: "Dartmouth College Necrology, 1906-1907, Hanover, N.H. Transcribed by Kim Mohler]

LUIKERT - On July 27, at her residence, Hall Ave., Tuckahoe, Loretta Luikert (nee Quirk), beloved wife of William S. Luikert. Funeral on Tuesday, July 29, at 9:30 a. m. thence to the Church of Immaculate Conception, where a solemn requiem mass will be offered for the repose of her soul. Interment Woodlawn. Automobile cortege, [New York Tribune July 29, 1919 - Sub. by FoFG]

LYON - At Mount Kisco, N. Y., July 26, 1919, Albert Comstock, son of Julia E. and the late John N. Lyon, in his 51st year. Funeral from the residence of P.M. and Mrs. G. P. M. Curry, 29 Carpenter Ave., Mount Kisco, N. Y. on Tuesday July 29, at 2:30 p.m. [New York Tribune July 29, 1919 - Sub. by FoFG]

NILES, William W.
WILLIAM WATSON NILES. Born, March 26, 1822, West Fairlee, Vt. Son of William and Mary Relief (Barron) Niles. Fitted at Thetford academy, Bradford academy, and Newbury seminary. Upon graduation Mr. Niles went to La Port, Ind., remaining there three years, taking a course in the Indiana Medical college, subsequently studying law with his brother, Judge John Barron Niles, Dartmouth ’32, and being admitted to the bar. He spent six months abroad, and on his return took up his residence in New York City, where he practiced law until his death. In 1867 he changed his residence to Fordham, then Westchester county, but now the borough of the Bronx, a part of the greater New York. He was a member of the assembly in 1872, and again in 1881, and a member of the commission for locating parks in the city of New York in 1884. In 1889 he published a volume of poems for private circulation, entitled “Idle Fancies Done Into Rhyme.” Mr. Niles took a keen interest in public affairs. He was one of the eleven organizers of the Loyal League. Being a lifelong friend of Mr. Greeley, and private counsel of Samuel J. Tilden, he took an active part in the Greeley and Tilden campaign. He was a hearty co-operator with Mr. Tilden in bringing the Tweed judges to account. He was also largely instrumental in securing the new parks for the city of New York.
Died, Oct. 30, 1900, Bedford Park, Borough of the Bronx, New York City, of remittent fever.
Married, Jan. 3, 1855, Isabel, daughter of the Hon. Hugh and Maria (Mansfield) White of Saratoga county, N.Y. Children: Robert Lossing, William White, Isabel St. John, Susan Charlotte, John Barron, Florilla, and Nathaniel Marston. All are living except Susan Charlotte. [Source: "Dartmouth College Necrology, 1900-1901", Hanover, N.H. Transcribed by Kim Mohler.]

NOXON, Willis E
Class of 1877 – WILLIS EMERSON NOXON. LL.B., Univ. of Mich., 1883. B. 20 Dec., 1854, Great Barrington, Mass. Lawyer. D. 24 Apr., 1904, New Rochelle, N.Y. [Source: "Dartmouth College Necrology, 1903-1904", Hanover, N.H. Transcribed by Kim Mohler.]

On the 20th inst. at Yorktown (N. Y.) John Paulding, one of the three incorruptible patriots who arrested Major Andre in the Revolutionary War. His funeral was conducted with military and Masonic honors. [3/18/1818, re-published in "Ohio Source Records" by Ohio Genealogical Society]

RAYMOND, William S.
VISTA, NY - Services for William s. Raymond were held Wednesday in Stevens Memorial United Methodist church in Lewisboro, N.Y., with the Rev. Harold E. Quigley, pastor, officiating.
Interment took place in South Salem Cemetery in South Salem, N.Y.
Mr. Raymond, 63, of Smith Ridge Road, died Saturday in Veterans Medical Center in West Have after a long illness. He was the husband of Diane Bouton Raymond.
Born in Pound Ridge, N.Y., Mr. Raymond was employed by the Town of New Canaan as a heavy equipment operator at the volume reduction plant. He was a longtime resident of Vista. Bouton Funeral Home, Georgetown, was in charge of arrangements.  ["The Hour", Norwalk, Co nn., Thursday, March 7, 1991 - Sub. by FoFG]

REED, Isaac B.
DIED, On Sunday, Feb. 17, at White Plains, Westchester county, Isaac B. Reed, aged 55 years, 10 months and 17 days. [Source: The Weekly Herald, (New York, NY) Saturday, February 23, 1856; transcribed by Susan Geist]

ROCKWELL, Dr. Stephen
Died at Bedford, Westchester County, on Monday the 13th inst. of a dropsey, Dr. Stephen Rockwell, son of the late nathan Rockwell, Esq. aged 35 (or 25?) years [The Evening Post (New York, New York); 20 May 1805. Mon]

SPARKS, Stephen

SPARKS - At Peekskill, Westchester County, Stephen Sparks, aged 83 years, 5 months and 20 days. His friends and relatives are respectfully requested to attend his funeral, this day, (Monday) at 2 o'clock, at his residence, Peekskill. [New York Times, Sept. 28, 1857]
THOMPKINS, Jonathan G.
Died at Scarsdale, Westchester county, New York, on Thursday morning, the 22d ult, in the 87th year of his age, Jonathan G. Thompkins, Esq., father of his excellency Daniel D. Tompkins. [Republican Compiler (Gettysburg, Pa) June 4 1823 Page 3 - NP - Sub. by FoFG]

TUCKER, Mrs. Edmund
Mrs. Edmund Tucker Killed by a Burglar In Her Yonkers Home.
YONKERS, N. Y. Jan. 27.—Mrs. Edmund Tucker was choked to death by a burglar, at her home on Central avenue, near Underhill, tonight. She was found by her husband, who returned late and discovered that all the doors were locked. Thinking his wife might be visiting, he Inquired, of the neighbors, and was told that she had not been seen since late in the afternoon. He then returned to his house, and, going to a back window, heard the screams of his three-year-old boy from within. He opened the window and climbed inside to find his wife lying dead in the hallway just outside the sitting room door. The little boy was also found to be suffering from a severe cut across the face, and when asked what had caused the trouble he said that an old man wearing a slouch hat and a seedy gray overcoat, had entered the house and demanded money. When this was refused him, he seized Mrs. Tucker and choked her into submission. He then struck the boy with a
heavy cane which he carried and proceeded to take what valuable things he could find in a hasty trip through the house. Some of the missing articles are a lady's double cased gold watch and several gold rings. Coroner Miles's examination disclosed the fact that Mrs. Tucker had been in a delicate condition, and that the shock as well as the assault was responsible for her death. [Weekly Indiana State Journal January 29, 1896. Submitted by a Friend of Free Genealogy]

In Portugal, (Killed in an action) Capt. Van Cortland, aged 33, of the 23d British Reg't, and son of old Capt. Van Cortland, of Cortland's Manor, in this state. He had been in 23 engagements.

Another Revolutionary Character gone.
A letter dated at Greensburg, near Tarrytown, 24th May, states that Isaac Van Watt, one of the captors of Major Andre in the Revolutionary War, died on Friday last. Mr. Van Wart was a worthy man and much respected in his neighborhood. - N.Y. Enquirer. [Republican Compiler, Gettysburg, PA, June 4, 1828 - NP - Sub. by FoFG]

WARING, Col. George E. Jr.
Died of Yellow Fever Col. George E. Waring, Jr., A Victim of the Cuban Plague
NEW YORK, Oct, 23.—Col. George E. Waring Jr., died of yellow fever to-day at his home in this city, where he had been since he arrived from Havana on the Yucatan on Tuesday last. He was sixty-seven years of age. Dr. Blauveit, who had been attending Colonel Waring during his illness, was summoned to the house at 1 o'clock, this morning. He found that Colonel Waring had been attacked with Black vomit.
This symptom continued all morning without cessation. Everything possible was done for the dying man, but he only lived until 7:45. President Murphy, of the Board of Health, was informed of the death of Colonel Waring within five minutes after it occurred Dr. Roberts, the sanitary superintendent was ordered to have the body placed in a hermetically sealed casket immediately.
Mr. Murphy also save orders that every precaution should be taken to prevent the spread of the disease. He said that extraordinary precautions would be taken to this end.
Colonel Waring had been sent to the city of Havana as a special commissioner of this government to ascertain the exact sanitary conditions of that city and to form ideas for the best methods for putting the place in first-class sanitary shape. He was to report to the President, and on the day he returned he said that he, expected to go to Washington the next day. He said he felt unwell, but it was not thought he had more than ordinary illness. He said that he had a great deal of information which he thought would be of service to the President. The plan of the commission was to place the city of Havana and the coast towns of Cuba in such a good sanitary condition that the recurrence of yellow fever and its entrance into the gulf cities of the United States would be prevented.
Colonel Waring was apparently well when he left Havana and he felt only slightly ill during the latter part of the voyage, but when he reached his home he was obliged to take to his bed. Then it was discovered he was suffering from yellow fever. Colonel Waring was immediately isolated in an apartment on the ninth floor of the Rutherford, the apartment house in which he lived. There are nine families in the house.
Precautions were taken to prevent the spread of the disease. No one but the physicians and Mrs. Waring, who had had the disease and is therefore immune were allowed to see Colonel Waring. Everything that was taken in or out of the apartment in which he was lying was disinfected. Inspectors of the Board of Health were stationed at and In the house to prevent people from getting near to the sick man. The doctors at first did not think that the case was a malignant one. When Colonel Warning's temperature rose to 105 1/4 the physicians became alarmed and the case was considered in its most serious form, and Colonel Waring was treated accordingly. It was plain that he was getting worse. The black vomit, the most serious symptom, was fought off until 1 o'clock this morning. The end came six hours later. The father, mother, brother and three sisters of Mrs. Waring died of yellow fever in New Orleans some years ago.
Three hours after the death of Colonel Waring his body, inclosed in a metallic casket was taken from the apartment he had occupied to the dock at the foot of Fifteenth street where the quarantine boat Governor Flower, with Dr. Doty in charge was in waiting. The body was placed on board and taken to Swineburn island. It was there placed in a retort and Dr. Doty himself lit the fire which cremated the remains. As soon as the body had been removed from the house the apartments of the Warings were fumigated and disinfected.
Colonel Waring was a native of New York State, and much of his earlier life was spent in the study and practice of scientific agriculture. He was for some time in charge of Horace Greely's farm at Chappaqua, N. Y. In 1857 he was appointed agricultural and drainage engineer of Central Park, this city. He entered the army in 1862 as a major in the Garibaldi Reserves, but was transferred to the Army of the Southwest, where he helped consolidate the Fremont and Benton Reserves into the Fourth Missouri Cavalry, of which he became colonel. During the yellow fever epidemic of 1878 in Memphis. Colonel Waring devised the system of sewerage in vogue there now, which has since been adopted by many other American and European cities. Colonel Waring was appointed commissioner of the bureau of street cleaning in this city by Mayor Strong and made a highly creditable record for efficiency. [Date: Wednesday, November 2, 1898 Paper: Indiana State Journal (Indianapolis, IN) Volume: LXXIV Issue: 44 Page: 2 - BZ - Sub by FoFG]

WEBB, Jean Francois
J. F. Webb, Former County Resident., Dies in East
Jean Francois Webb, a former resident of Placerville who for years had made his home in the east, died on January 5 at White Plains, New York. This is according to word received during
the week from his son. Mr. Webb was a native of St. Louis, born there 82 years ago. He had been a lawyer, soldier, pioneer and miner and inventor. Within the last few years he had perfected an automatic safety device for stopping trains within a dangerous 'block'. In 1925 he was declared to be the oldest commuter from White Plains, N. Y., making the trip to New York City every morning on the 8:20 train in his capacity as president of the International Signal Company. In the Civil War he served as a boy of 16 with Company B of the 145 Illinois Infantry.
Although he lived during his later days in the east, Mr. Webb had a home at Denver, Colorado, and made frequent trips to the capital of the Centennial state. He had mining interests in that vicinity at one time. On August 9, last, an embolism developed on his lower right leg and he was incapacitated. The ailment became more severe during the Winter and on January 1 he went to White Plains hospital for an operation which was never performed because of his weakened heart action. Mr. Webb was a member of El Dorado Commandery No. 4, Knights Templar. [Mountain Democrat, 1/31/1930, page 4. - BW - Sub by FoFG]

Born in Croton on the Hudson, Westchester county, N.Y., February 12, 1802. Came to Wisconsin in 1846. Died at Toledo, Iowa, November 9, 1904.  [Source: Proceedings of the State Historical Society of Wisconsin (1906) Wisconsin Necrology, page 142; MZ, Sub. by FoFG]


Copyright © Genealogy Trails