Trails - Crook County, Oregon
History and Genealogy
Crook County, Oregon

Obituaries & Death Records



Bradshaw, Sarah
Brown, Joseph

Claypool, John
Cowan, C. H.
Cram, Stowell
Cyrus, John

Dillon, Howard
Doak, James
Donkel, Simon
Douthit, Louisa


Feree, Mr.
Ferry, Robert
Foley, E. T.

Gillis, Estella
Glaze, "Till"

Hayes, Gladys
Hill, Minnie
Hindman, S. M. W.
Hinton, D. B.
Hinton, Mary
Hodges, Samuel
Houston, Sid
Howard, "Bud"
Hoyt, Child
I - J


Keller, Ruby
Kennedy, A. H.
Kutcher, Ed

Lester, Charles
Lively, Fletcher

May, Jack
McBride, William
McDowell, Charles
McLean, Vinna
McMeen, James
Milliorn, Zua
Morgan, Frank

O - P

O'Kelly, Eldon
Osborne, N. M.
Poch, Herman
Pugh, William
Q - R

Reams, John
Richardson, J. C. S.

Smith, Freemont
Snodley, Edward
Sumner, John

Thompson, John
Tresham, William
U - V

Vaughn, Henry

Wagner, Bert
Ward, Louisa
Ware, Sarah
Weston, John
Whitsett, Betsey
X - Y

Gillis, Estella


Funeral services for Mrs. Estella May Gillis, wife of J.A. Gillis, of Prineville, Oregon, were held Monday morning, July 6, at 10 o'clock from the residence, with interment in the Odd Fellows' cemetery. The Rev. Francis H. Ball, pastor of the Episcopal church, was in charge of the services.

Mrs. Gillis was born in Wellsboro, June 10, 1876. She came to Spokane, Washington, 18 years ago, and on May 30, 1908, in Rathdrum, Idaho, she became the bride of J.A. Gillis. Following their marriage, Mr. and Mrs. Gillis made their home for a short time in Spirit Lake, Idaho, moving from there to Seattle, residing there for about a year. From the latter place they moved to San Francisco, and made their home there for four years, and thence to various Southern California points. In 1914 they came to Portland and from there they came to Prineville in 1916 residing there until her death last Thursday afternoon.

Mrs. Gillis had been a sufferer of asthma for the past 16 years, and their travels throughout various parts of the west were for the benefit of her healthy. About six weeks ago she became quite ill with dropsy with other complications.

Three brothers and two sisters survive:  Charles Downer, of Spokane; William Downer, of Hermiston; Walter Downer, of Wellsville; Mrs. Clara Moyer, of Springfield, and Mrs. Eliza English, of Wellsboro-Central Oregonian

Source: The Wellsboro Gazette (Wellsboro, PA) - Thursday, July 23, 1925
Contributed by Shauna Williams

Weston, John; Houston, Sid & Lester, Charles

The citizens of Prineville, Oregon, searched out the members of a gang of horsethieves, shooting John Weston, and hanging Sid Houston and Charles Lester.

Source: Saturday Herald (Decatur, IL) - Wednesday, December 20, 1882
Contributed by S. Williams

Foley, E. T.

A young man named E.T. Foley suicided at Prineville, Oregon, last week. he had been on a protracted spree, and committed the deed in a fit of despondency.

Source: Reno Evening Gazette (Reno, NV) - Monday, February 27, 1888
Contributed by S. Williams

Keller, Ruby

Name of Deceased: Ruby Hazel Keller
County Name: Crook
State: Ore
Date: Saturday, June 12, 1993
Submitters Name: Ula Staley

Obit: Ruby Hazel Keller-Campbell Birth 10/07/1914. Death 06/12/1993. In Crook County, Oregon. Buried in Redmond, Deschutes County, Oregon. Daughter of Susannah Annie Cox-Keller an Sylvester Keller. Was married first to Roy Sanford Campbell, 2nd Marriage Carl Wesley Staley. Rsults of both Marriages 1 daughter Deloris Coween Campbell, of Chino Valley Arizona, an Carl Leon Staley Sr. of Hereford, Arizona
Ferry, Robert

Robert Ferry died of heart failure last Tuesday morning at the C. T. Lillard ranch near Paulina where he had been employed for several years. Deceased was about 40 years old and had no relatives in the state so far as known. The remains were buried at Paulina today. - Prineville Journal

Source: The Times-Herald (Burns, OR) - Saturday, January 6, 1906
Contributed by Jim Dezotell

Glaze, "Till", "Bud" Howard

Both Were Gun Fighters

Two Quarrelsome Horsemen Meer Sudden Death in a Saloon

PRINEVILLE, Or., Sept. 8 – At 11 o’clock tonight the corpse of “Till” Glaze, proprietor of Glaze opera hall, at this place, reached here, having been brought from Burns, where he was shot and instantly killed on last Wednesday night by a man named “Bud” Howard. Mr. Glaze during the day had some words with Howard, growing out of a horserace, but they had separated that night. Glaze was in Lee Caldwell’s saloon when Howard entered, and without any warning, drew his pistol and shot Glaze through the heart, killing him instantly. Glaze’s jockey, one Parker, drew his gun and shot Howard in the eye, and he, too, fell to the floor a dead man. Mr. Glaze has for years been a prominent citizen of this and Harney counties, his family, who are among the very best of this city, living permanently here, while the husband and father spent the summers in business at Burns, while during the winters he run the opera hall at this place. Mr. Glaze had a host of friends throughout Eastern Oregon, and great sympathy is manifested for his family in their great bereavement. He was at one time a resident of Lane county, where he is reported to have killed two men in a gun fight. Later he kept a saloon in Prineville, and it was in his place of business that the great fight between Hank Vaughn and Long took place about 1880. He has always been classed as a sporting and race horse man, and at time when in his cups, he was quarrelsome and indulged in pistol practice. His age was about 50 years. Howard was known as a “bad man,” who has “killed his man” and had served a term in the penitentiary. Parker is under arrest, and will be held for the murder of Howard.

Source: The Oregonian (Portland, OR) - Thursday, September 13, 1894
Contributed by The History of Today

Reams, John

John Reams died at Prineville Wednesday of last week from paralysis.  He was well known in Madras through his connection with the Cornett Stage company.  He was 38 years of age and leaves a widow and six children.

Source: The Madras Pioneer (Madras, OR) - Thursday, June 1, 1911
Pugh, William

Brutal Prineville Murder

Old Man’s Spinal Column Broken at Hands of Bartender

Bend, Or., May 22 – William Pugh, 69 years of age, died at Prineville last Tuesday of injuries inflicted by John F. Dell last Friday.  About 2 o’clock last Friday, Pugh, who had been drinking, entered the Opera saloon, and, stepping behind the bar, asked for a cigar.  Dell threw him bodily out of the door.  Pugh fell on his back.  Dell followed him, caught him by the legs and dashed his head and shoulders on the sidewalk several times, finally bending his body so far that Pugh’s head was thrust against his chest.

At an autopsy it was shown that the spinal column had been wreched apart between the sixth and seventh vertebrae, so that the spinal cord was plainly visible.  The verdict of the coroner’s jury was that Pugh had met his death at the hands of John T. Dell, and recommended that Dell be bound over to the grand jury without bail.

Source: Daily Capital Journal (Salem, OR) - Tuesday, May 22, 1906
Lively, Fletcher

Prineville Merchant Dies

Fletcher J. Lively, for several years a business man of Prineville, and known to many in this section, passed away at Portland Wednesday, January 26th, from pneumonia after an illness of a few days.

Mr. Lively had been in Portland several days purchasing general Merchandise expecting to open a business in Redmond.

The deceased leaves a widow and four small children.  The remains were shipped to Aberdeen, Washington, where his parents reside, for interment.

The Madras Pioneer (Madras, OR) - Thursday, February 2, 1911

Fletcher Lively, a former merchant of Prineville, died at the Good Samaritan Hospital in Portland last Wednesday.

Source: The Bend Bulletin (Bend, OR) - Wednesday, February 1, 1911
Hill, Minnie

Minnie Hill, one of the young ladies taken charge of by the Salvation Army a month or so ago, and by them sent back to her home at Prineville, died at that place a day or so ago.  One report is that she committed suicide, going by the morphine route; but this statement is denied.

Source: The Dalles Daily Chronicle (The Dalles, OR) - Thursday, August 30, 1894
Wagner, Bert

Driller Crushed With Derrick

Bert Wagner Meets Death While At Work At McCall Ranch – Was A Brother of Ernest Wagner

Bert Wagner, a brother of Ernest Wagner of the Central Oregon Well Co., who was struck in the head while drilling a well at the McCall ranch on Crooked river December 17, died in the Prineville hospital last Friday.  He never regained consciousness after being struck.

Part of the derrick he was using in drilling the well toppled over striking him in the forehead causing concussion of the brain.  He was hurried to the hospital, where he was pronounced fatally injured by the examining physicians.  Added to the blow received on the head inflammation of the lungs set in which made the case all the more serious.  His wife came the next day from The Dalles and remained at this bedside until the end.

He was well known at Culver and throughout Crook county where he had been engaged in the well drilling business for some time.  The remains were interred at Gray Butte cemetery.

Source: The Madras Pioneer (Madras, OR) - Thursday, December 28, 1911
Thompson, John

Hon. John M. Thompson, of Lane county died at Prineville on the 10th inst., where he had gone in hopes of recuperating his rapidly failing health.  Mr. Thompson was a gentleman of more than average ability and served his county faithfully for four years as county Judge.  In 1878 he was elected to the Legislature, became Speaker, and was one of the most determined opponents of corruption in the Democratic party, of which he was a member, and took an active part in the investigation inaugurated by that legislature.  He was a prominent member of the bar and regarded as a pure and upright man.

Source: Oregon Sentinel (Jacksonville, OR) - Saturday, February 25, 1882
Kutcher, Ed

A Pioneer Gone

Ed Kutcher, who died yesterday morning at Prineville, was one of the first settlers in this part of the county.  When he came her thirty-odd years ago stock ranged all the hills, and the nearest neighbors lived a dozen miles apart.  In that time he has seen the country develop into a populous farming district, with a family on every quarter-section.  These changes forced out of business the old stockmen, of whom he was one, but Mr. Kutcher with others accepted the new order of things and became a successful farmer.

Mr. Kutcher was a loyal friend, a good citizen, upright and honorable in all his dealings, and he enjoyed the confidence and esteem of all who knew him.  The news of his death will be learned with regret by a host of friends.

Source: The Madras Pioneer (Madras, OR) - Thursday, March 25, 1909

Death of Crook County Pioneer

Ed Kutcher, one of the best known residents of the county, and a pioneer settler, died in Prineville Wednesday, March 24, 1909, of heart disease.  Mr. Kutcher was brought to the city from his home at Haycreek on Monday to receive medical care, and grew rapidly worse, his death occurring at the Hotel Prineville.

Deceased was about 65 years old.  He was an Englishman by birth and had served in both the English and American navies, having been around the world four times.

Mr. Kutcher had lived in this county for the past 30 years of more, making his home on Willow Creek and at Haycreek.  He was ever known as a good citizen and an upright man.  Kutcher precinct (Madras) was named in his honor.  – Journal

Source: The Bend Bulletin (Bend, OR) - Wednesday, March 31, 1909
Ward, Louisa

Mrs. Ward Dead

Word reached here by wire last Wednesday that Mrs. Ward, wife of a Crook county stockman, and daughter of Mr. and Mrs. J. P. Yancey of Lakeview, died at Prineville on the 23d inst.  Death was sudden.  The message came to the parents and was received by John P. Duckworth, as Mr. and Mrs. Yancey are in Jackson county on a visit.  The deceased visited her parents here last May and will be remembered by a number of residents of Lakeview.

The Prineville Journal says that Mrs. Ward died at The Dalles, to which place she only recently moved.  She was taken with a fainting spell and as soon as she recovered from it, was taken with another, and continued in that state until she died.  Mrs. Ward was well and favorably known in Crook county, and always took an active part in church work.  The interment took place at Prineville.

Source: Lake County Examiner (Lakeview, OR) - Thursday, July 31, 1902
Doak, James

Pioneer Dies At Prineville

James T. Doak, one of the pioneer settlers of this county, died at his home at Prineville on last Thursday, at the age of 62 years.  He was a native of Missouri, and crossed the plains in 1845, moving to Crook county about a quarter of a century ago, since which time he has been continuously a resident of this county.  Five children survive him:  Will, Frank and Park, all residents of this county, Mrs. C. A. Branham, of Pullman, Washington, and Mrs. J. W. Wilson of Spokane.

Source: The Madras Pioneer (Madras, OR) - Thursday, November 8, 1906
Hinton, Mary

Eastern Oregon Pioneer Dies Sunday At Prineville

Mary E. Hinton, relict of the last B. D. Hinton, who died in 1900, died in Prineville August 24, aged 70 years.

Mrs. Hinton was born in Arkansas, crossed the plains in 1853, settling at Eugene and moved to eastern Oregon in 1879.  Her husband was a half brother of W. W. Hinton, of this place.  There are eight children living and two dead.  Mrs. Robert Odell is the only one living near here.

Mrs. Hinton was sick for a long time and her death was not unexpected.

The burial took place in Prineville Monday.

Mrs. Odell has been in Prineville some time doing what she could to make the last hours of her mother pleasant.

Source: The Ontario Argus (Ontario, OR) - Thursday, August 28, 1913
Cowan, C. H.

C. H. Cowan, a pioneer of 1853, died at Prineville last Thursday.

Source: Oregon Sentinel (Jacksonville, OR) - Saturday, November 20, 1886
Osborne, N. M.

Death From Accident

Mr. N. M. Osborne, aged 73 years, died at the Prineville hotel o Wednesday evening, and his body was buried in the Prineville cemetery on Thursday.  Deceased was hurt by one of his horses over a week ago while returning from The Dalles with a load of freight.  After passing the headquarters of the B.S. & L. Co. on Hay creek he overturned his wagon.  This occurred before noon on Thursday of last week, and he was not picked up until the forenoon of next day.  When discovered his entire left side was paralyzed, and he was partially unconscious.  He was brought to town and well cared for, but his injuries proved fatal, as above stated.  N. M. Osborne was born in Ohio, and came to Oregon from Missouri in 1874, settling in Polk county.  He has been in this county five of six years.  He buried his wife, by whom he had seven children, in Illinois in 1864.  He has two sons in Oregon, both being residents of Wasco county.  One of them arrived here only a few hours before his father’s death. – Prineville News

Source: The Dalles Daily Chronicle (The Dalles, OR) - Tuesday, August 8, 1893
Sumner, John

Ex-County Judge John C. Sumner died at his home in Prineville, Wednesday, July 17, of heart failure.  Judge Sumner was born in Indiana, September 1, 1833.  When a boy he moved with his parents to Arkansas.  In 1853 he emigrated to Oregon, settling in Lane county.  He was a volunteer in the Rogue River Indian war, and was wounded in the battle of Hungry Hill.  In 1856 he moved to Linn county and was elected a member of the legislature from that county in 1876.  In 1888 he was appointed Judge of Crook county and was elected to that office in 1880 serving until 1894.  He leaves a widow and four children.

Source: The Dalles Daily Chronicle (The Dalles, OR) - Friday, July 19, 1901
May, Jack

Jack May, Pioneer, Dies

Jack May, an aged pioneer of this county, who in recent years has lived a portion of the time at the home of Mr. Benefield, south of this place, died last Wednesday morning at Prineville.  He was in the neighborhood of 80 years of age, and being too old and enfeebled to care for himself, had some time ago become a county charge.

It is reported from Prineville that a son of Mr. May. Named William May and residing at Scio, had been notified of his father’s death, but declined to provide for the burial or disposition of the body, which was then taken care of at county expense.  The son is said to be well to-do financially.

Source: The Madras Pioneer (Madras, OR) - Thursday, September 24, 1908
O'Kelly, Eldon

The four-month-old child of Mrs. Wm. O’Kelley died last Sunday of cholera infantum.  The funeral occurred Monday.  This is the second death in this home within the past week, the father having died on Wednesday of last week.  – Prineville Journal

Source: The Bend Bulletin (Bend, OR) - Wednesday, August 4, 1909
Kennedy, A. H.

A. H. Kennedy, editor and publisher of the Prineville Review, the oldest paper in Crook County, died suddenly at his home in Prineville last week.  Mr. Kennedy has been the owner and editor of the Review for about  10 years, and in addition to conducting his newspaper business he has for several years held the office of Justice of the Peace.

Source: Lake County Examiner (Lakeview, OR) - Thursday, December 11, 1913

A. H. Kennedy, editor of the Prineville Review, died on Tuesday of last week.  He was married in 1908 to Mina Wilmarth, formerly of this place, who survives him.

Source: The Times-Herald (Burns, OR) - Saturday, December 13, 1913
Richardson, J. C. S.

Portland, Sept. 23 – The remains of the young attorney, J. C. S. Richardson, who died of typhoid fever at Prineville, arrived to-day.  The body will be embalmed and forwarded to Washington.

Source: The Daily Astorian (Astoria, OR) - Saturday, September 24, 1887
McMeen, James

James S. McMeen, a respected citizen and pioneer resident of Crook county, died today in the hospital at Prineville of cancer, after an illness of ten months, during which time he submitted to two operations.

Deceased was a native of Ohio, and came west in 1883, taking a homestead near Lamonta, where he resided continuously until his death.  He was married at Salem the following year to Miss Emma Williams, who still survives.  Three children were born to this union, all of whom are living, their names are Charley, Loyd and Bruce.

Although never holding public office Mr. McMeen always took an active part in all matters pertaining to the welfare of the community where he lived.  Besides the sorrowing family a long list of friends are left to mourn his death.

The funeral will be held from the home tomorrow.  Interment at Gray Butte cemetery.

Source: The Madras Pioneer (Madras, OR) - Thursday, December 21, 1911
Bradshaw, Sarah

A sad procession passed through Bend Wednesday evening.  The wife of Amos Bradshaw, who had been suffering from liver complaint, had died on Tuesday after a lingering illness at the place where they have been camping on their timber claims, and accompanied by his two daughters, Maud and Jessie, Mr. Bradshaw was on his way to Prineville to inter the remains.

Source: The Bend Bulletin (Bend, OR) - Friday, June 19, 1903
Hodges, Samuel

Samuel Hodges died on Wednesday evening n Prineville, at the home of his brother, L. N. Hodges.  Mr. Hodges was in his usual good health up to Sunday, when he was stricken with pneumonia.  Typhoid symptoms soon appeared, and he gradually sank, breathing his last Wednesday evening.

Source: The Bend Bulletin (Bend, OR) - Friday, April 10, 1903
Dillon, Howard

Howard Dillon, a veritable giant and only 24 years old, was the first victim of the smallpox scourge, and probably no more will follow, as we hear the disease is well in hand and completely isolated.

Source: The Bend Bulletin (Bend, OR) - Friday, April 17, 1903
McDowell, Charles

The sudden death on Saturday of last week of Chas. E. McDowell, the proprietor of the Hotel Prineville, was the greatest shock this community has sustained for a long time.  Mr. McDowell was one of the best known and most popular men in Crook county, and the sight of his genial countenance in the Hotel Prineville will greatly missed.

Mr. McDowell's sickness was short and his death very sudden and unexpected.  It seems that on Wednesday of last week he rode a horse down to his ranch, about three miles from Prineville, and assisted in branding some calves.  He was taken sick on Thursday, and on Friday Dr. Woods Hutchinson, of the state health board, assisted by several of the Prineville doctors, performed an operation on him for appendicitis, from which he was unable to rally, and he peacefully passed away on Saturday evening.

It hardly seems just to take away a man like Charley McDowell, whom everyone liked, and who was a good-hearted, whole-souled, generous man, just in the prime of life, when there are so many people in the community who have no object in life and simply live the existence of a human sponge, whose departure for “that undiscovered country” would not attract general notice nor comment.

Mr. McDowell had an influence for good over every one with whom he came in contact, and his place cannot be easily filled.

Source: The Bend Bulletin (Bend, OR) - Friday, April 24, 1903
Cyrus, John

We learn of he death of John Cyrus, of Prineville, after a lingering illness of some time.  Mr. Cyrus was a member of a pioneer family here, and was very well and favorably known in Crook county.  He contracted consumption some time ago, and his death had been expected for quite a while.  Mr. Cyrus leaves a wife and child to mourn his death, besides a very large circle of acquaintances and friends.

Source: The Bend Bulletin (Bend, OR) - Friday, May 1, 1903
Claypool, John & Mr. Feree

Since Dr. Rosenberg's illness we have to depend upon the Oregonian for smallpox news of Prineville.  Monday's Oregonian reports two more deaths in that place – John Claypool and a man named Feree.  The Oregonian says reports from Prineville are so conflicting that it is hard to believe anything that is sent in.  It is now up to Bro. Holder to issue the same delicately-scented request to the Oregonian that was handed out to us some time since.  He would not be consistent if he did not grasp this opportunity.

Source: The Bend Bulletin (Bend, OR) - Friday, May 8, 1903
Smith, Freemont

Prineville, Dec. 26 (Special) – Funeral services were held Thursday for Colonel Freemont Smith, 83, Crook county pioneer, who died Tuesday at his home after a lingering illness.  Services will be held in the First Baptist church.

Colonel Freemont Smith was born on his father's original donation claim near Eugene, August 27, 1857.  He came to Prineville at the age of 18, but stayed only a short time.  He returned to Prineville about 1886 and established a blacksmith.

He was a member of the Christian church for 50 years.  He was a member of Carnation chapter, Order of the Eastern Star, and had held membership in the Crook County Pioneer association.  He was construction engineer on the Tumalo irrigation project before his retirement.

Mr. Smith is survived by one daughter, Mrs. W. B. (Lotta) Morse of this city; three grandchildren, William S. Morse of Portland, June and Sara Lee Morse, and one great-grandson.

Source: The Oregonian (Portland, OR) - Friday, December 27, 1940
Hinton, D. B.

D. B. Hinton (“Uncle Ben”), an Oregon pioneer, died in Crook County the 4th inst., at the age of 60.

Source: The Morning Oregonian (Portland, OR) - Tuesday, April 17, 1900
Hindman, S. M. W.

Albany, Or., Feb. 6 – (Special) – S. M. W. Hindman, who died at his home in Prineville yesterday at the age of 97 years, was a Linn county pioneer and spent much of his life in Albany and Lebanon.

He came to Albany about 1862 and resided in this city for many years.  He then located on a farm near Knox butte, east of Albany, and later went to Lebanon, where he resided for several years.  He went to Prineville more than 20 years ago.

Source: The Morning Oregonian (Portland, OR) - Saturday, February 7, 1920
Brown, Joseph

J. J. Brown, of Crook County

Joseph Jasper Brown, who was born in Jasper County, Missouri, died near Izee, Crook County, May 15, aged nearly 65 years.  Mr. Brown came to Oregon in 1852, and settled in Southern Oregon, where he was married to Miss Elizabeth Hay.  He removed from that section to Harrisburg, Or., where he resided until 1875, when with his family he went to Eastern Oregon, settling near Price, Crook County.

Source: The Morning Oregonian (Portland, OR) - Tuesday, May 22, 1900
Douthit, Louisa

Mrs. James O. Douthit, of Cross Keys, died at Salem on November 7th, and was buried in Union Cemetery at Prineville, on November 13th.  Mrs. Douthit moved to Crook county with her husband in 1882, since which time she has been a resident of this county.  During the first eight years of her residence she resided near Haycreek, but since 1899 the Douthit family have resided on Trout creek.

Source: The Madras Pioneer (Madras, OR) – Thursday, November 22, 1906
Hoyt, Child

Prineville News: On last Sunday morning the children of Chas. Hoyt, who lives at Cow canyon, left the house to play on the surrounding hills, and did not return until noon.  One of the children not returning, immediate search was made, but the missing one could not be found until the next morning, when it was found about half a mile from home, having perished during the cold storm of the night.

Source: The Eugene City Guard (Eugene, OR) – Saturday, November 18, 1882
Snodley, Edward

Edward Snodley, aged 21, of Prineville, who was thrown from a stage which he was driving near Arlington about three weeks ago, and who was taken to Portland for medical treatment, died at the hospital last Sunday night.  The remains, in charge of Mr. J. Shaeffer, a brother-in-law of the deceased, were taken from Portland to Prineville for interment, passing through Moro Tuesday morning, and being accompanied from here by Mrs. Shaeffer.  The sympathy of all who know them is extended to the bereaved family in this their hour of affliction.

Source: The People’s Republic (Moro, OR) – Friday, December 9, 1898
Tresham, William

W.A. Tresham died Monday Jan 6, 1939

The Community was shocked to learn that W.A. Tresham, whose home recently burned at Bridgeview and who had been in poor health for some time passed away in Prineville, Oregon, while visiting his daughter and son-in-law Mr. and Mrs. Howard Harker. He was taken to the hospital in Prineville January 11 and gradually sank until the end. Mr. and Mrs. Tresham came to Southern Oregon in 1889 and made their home here for the past 11 years. Four children and his widow survived his passing H.A. of Kerby, O.R. of Sam’s Valley, J.D. of Gold Hill and Mrs. Elsie Harker of Prineville. The funeral will be held at 2 pm at pearl funeral home Medford. Interment will be in Siskiyou memorial park Medford. All friends of the family are invited to attend the funeral services.

Source: ( Unknown ) - January, 1939
Contributed by Sally Yarbrough

Whitsett, Betsey


Betsey, wife of George W. Whitsett, died at Prineville, Oregon, January 1st, 1902, aged 86 years.  Betsey Harlow was married to Geo. W. Whitsett in Missouri in 1871; came to Lane county in 1875, locating near Cottage Grove, where they resided until October of last years when the moved to Prineville.

Mrs. Whitsett was the mother of 14 children, 13 of whom survive her.  The oldest daughter having died at the age of two years.  All the living children were at her bedside during the last illness.  She lingered nine weeks, at times rallying and giving hope for recovery.

On the evening of the last day of the old year she awoke from slumber and said, “I have been over the river; I am going soon.  Don't be alarmed about me, I am all right.”  Then fell asleep, not to awake in this world.

The funeral was held from the Methodist church, Rev. W. C. Clark, pastor, preaching the funeral sermon.

Source: Daily Eugene Guard (Eugene, OR) – Tuesday, January 7, 1902
Vaughn, Henry

A Deadly Encounter

Hank Vaughn and Charlie Long Dangerously Shot by Each Other

The Standard of the 19th inst. gives an account of a desperate shooting affray between Henry Vaughn and Charles Long.  Vaughn formerly resided in this county, where his father and several brothers, who are among our best citizens, are living.  The Standard says: The particulars of a murderous shooting affray, which occurred at Prineville, Wasco county, on Sunday last, between Henry Vaughn and Charles Long, have been received here.  The two parties had been drinking and gambling during the fore part of the day and had quarreled over their cards, but were separated by friends.  About 2 o’clock in the afternoon they met in Till Glazes’ saloon, took a drink together and commenced talking the matter over.  Neither would acknowledge to being in the wrong, and one word leading to another the quarrel was renewed, till both drew their pistols.  This action caused a speedy evacuation of the saloon by everybody else present.  The two combatants shot away till their pistols were emptied, when their friends rushed in, and it was found that both men were seriously, if not fatally wounded.  Vaughn received a serious wound the ball entering the left breast above the heart, and ranging through the left temple bone.  Long was shot four times, one ball passing through the left breast and right arm, but not breaking it; on through the shoulder, breaking the shoulder blade under the point of the shoulder; one in the forearm, the ball ranging upward, making an ugly wound eight or nine inches in length, and one in the left side, the ball stopping near the spine.  Drs. Whittaker and Gosnor took the wounded men in charge and succeeded in extracting all the balls from Long, but failed to get the bullets from Vaughn body.  Henry Vaughn is well known in sporting circles in this State and the adjoining Territories.  He commenced his career in Wasco county, where he was born, at the aged of 15, by riding off a horse belonging to another man.  He and a companion were followed by Sheriff Mattock, of Umatilla, and three deputies, and surprised while asleep in camp.  In the affray which ensued his companion was shot dead and Vaughn fatally wounded a deputy named Hart and also shot Mattock in the jaw.  He received several wounds himself, but escaped.  He was finally captured and was sentenced to the penitentiary for life.  About five years after he was pardoned out on petition.  He has since followed gambling as a profession, and has been engaged in several desperate affrays.  About three years since he shot and killed on Pitt Smith, at Boise City, but was acquitted.   A little over a year ago he married at Boise City, the widow of a man named Ruby, who was killed in the Nez Perce outbreak.  She was wealthy and since his marriage Vaughn was well supplied with coin.  He spent several weeks in this city a short time since and is reported to have lost $8,000, a well known gambler here having won over $2,000 from him at one sitting.  Vaughn, who is known to is associates as ‘Hank Vaughn” or “Bunch Grass,” is said to be a daring fellow, and when in funds free hearted and generous, but when drinking a quarrelsome and bad man.  He appears to have met his match in this encounter, which from all accounts is likely to prove his last.  Till Glaze, in whose saloon the quarrel occurred, will be remembered as a saloon keeper at Dallas, Polk county, who was implicated in the killing of Whitney some years ago.

Source: The Eugene City Guard (Eugene, OR) - Saturday, December 24, 1881
Contributed by The History of Today

Fatal – From a letter from Prineville The Dalles Times learns that Charlie Long will very likely recover from his wounds, but that Hank Vaughn’s chances of recovery are very slight.  The ball which entered his left nipple has been extracted, and physicians think that it will prove fatal to him.

Source: The Eugene City Guard (Eugene, OR) – Saturday, December 31, 1881

The Prineville Affray

Mr. J. H. Ward of Prineville give the Dalles Times the following account of the bloody affray between Vaughn and Long at Prineville a short time since: Vaughn and Long had quarreled in the morning over a game of cards.  About four o’clock in the afternoon they met in Til Glaze’s saloon, and Vaughn approaching the counter, said, “Gentlemen, I wish you to drink with me as a gentleman.”  At this, several walked up to the counter, and among the rest, Charley Long.  Vaughn went up to Long and said: “Now, Charley, if I’m right, drink with me like a gentleman, and if I am wrong, commence shooting.”  At this they grabbed left hands and emptied their revolvers at each other, Long taking the first shot, which was the glancing scalp wound Vaughn received.  Both were intoxicated at the time, and the ranging ranging balls at such close quarters would give evidence that they moved around considerably and fired unsteady.  Vaughn fired five shots and hit Long four times.  Long fired four shots and hit Vaughn twice, the first and last time.  Both had self-cocking pistols.  During the shooting there but two persons in the saloon besides the combatants – one of them hidden behind a screen and the other dead drunk and lying on the floor between two barrels.  After the shooting Vaughn came out and told the crowd it was a hard fight, and then walked up to Graham’s saloon said he was a dead man and invited the men to take a drink with him; after which he was taken home in a buggy.  Our informant says that Long is getting along nicely, but thinks he loose the use of his left arm, as that shoulder is terribly shattered.  Dr. Baldwin was called to see Vaughn, and after probing for the ball, came to the conclusion that it had ranged upward and lodged in the body, not in any vital part.  He thinks with care Vaughn may recover.  They have each come to the conclusion, that if neither dies one will make a complaint against the other.  But that is a matter for the courts to decide, and not for either of the individuals.

Source: The Eugene City Guard (Eugene, OR) – Saturday, January 7, 1882
Contributed by The History of Today
McBride, WIlliam


Thursday afternoon, March 23d, Mr. G. C. Havener brought to town, says the Prineville News, the sad news by drowning of the death of a man named William McBride.  Mr. McBride, with his wife and two children, left town that morning in a two horse wagon for Newsome's ranch, having arranged to take charge there.  In attempting to cross the river at the ford just above the mouth of Eagle creek, it seems the horses became unruly, and McBride got into the river to unhitch them, the water at the ford being set more than three feet deep, but deepening below.  Whether McBride was injured by one of the horses, or was taken with cramps, is not known, but he was carried under in sight and almost within reach of his terror-stricken wife and children, whose cries for help was heard by a sheep-herder about a mile distant.  He, with others, repaired to the spot and without much difficulty rescued the team and family, who are being kindly cared for at the home of Riley Rhodes.  Mr. Havener procured a boat and hooks, and every effort will be made to recover the body of the unfortunate man.  Deceased came here last Fall from the Willamette valley, his father being a farmer near Shedd's station, Linn county.  He was 28 years of age, and a man of integrity and worth.

Source: The Eugene City Guard (Eugene, OR) – Saturday, April 1, 1882
Cram, Stowell
Hayes, Gladys
McLean, Vinna
Poch, Herman

Four Tragedies In Crook
Two Homicides and Two Accidental Killings Listed in Year

Prineville, Or., Aug 2 - There were two homicides and two accidental killings Crook county in 1912, according to the records of the County Coroner and the courts.

On May 28, 1912, Gladys Hayes, alias Carrie Patterson, was shot and killed by Carolos Lawson in a bawdy house at Ben, after a quarrel during a carousal. Carolos was arrested and tried in the Circuit Court in Oct. 1912, and was found guilty of manslaughter and went to the penitentiary for a term of from one to 15 years.

Stowell Cram, an aged man, was struck on the head by an aeroplane driven by Aeronaut Silas Christofferson, of Portland, Oct. 16, 1912, at the grounds of the Central Oregon District Fair Ass. from the effects of which blow Cram died in two or three days, having been unconscious from the time of the accident.

Christofferson had been employed by the fair association to give daily exhibitions. In flying over one of the buildings of the fairgrounds the aeroplane suddenly dropped toward the ground. In endeavoring to recover control of the machine the blades were lowered to within a few feet of the ground, striking Mr. Cram. The Coroner's jury exonerated Christofferson of any blame. No arrests were made.

On the morning of the accident Cram had remarked to a friend that he expected to live only a few days and desired to see a flying machine before he died. As a spectator for the first time he was killed by the machine which to witness, it seemed, was his only remaining desire.

Miss Vinna L. McLean was accidentally shot and killed on the evening of Dec. 23, 1912, at the residence of G. L. Hall, at the Warm Springs Indian agency, by Thomas A. Brown. It appears that the parties had just finished supper when Brown brought a bundle of clothing from the bathroom. A pistol, which was wrapped in the bundle, fell to the floor, discharging and killing Miss McLean. The Coroner's jury found the cause of death purely accidental and no arrests were made.

The fourth death occurred on the morning of Dec. 31, 1912, when Herman Poch, a rancher of Crook county, was shot and killed at his home, three miles east of Prineville, by is stepson, Gaylord McDaniel, after a quarrel over domestic affairs, according to the confession of the accused and the Coroner's verdict.

The wife, it appears, had been married twice before and had a child by each marriage. Gaylord McDaniel, aged 23, being the eldest child and Robert J. Brown, aged about 6 years, being her child by a later marriage.

Poch and his wife had been married about seven months before the crime was committed and, according to the testimony, their domestic relationship had been anything but pleasant. The defendant is awaiting trial.

Source: The Oregonian (Portland, OR) - August 3, 1913
Contributed by Dena Whitesell

Morgan, Frank

“Bud” Thompson Kills Frank Mogan at Prineville

We clip the following dispatch from Wednesday’s Oregonian:

The Dalles, Dec. 11 – The stage driver, John Martin, brings intelligence that Frank Mogan was shot and killed by Bud Thompson, at Prineville, last Saturday night between the hours of 12 and 1 o’clock.  They were quarreling in a saloon, and everybody left them to fight it out.  Six shots were fired, and when the firing ceased Frank Mogan was found shot through the body six times, either of which would have proved fatal.  Thompson is under arrest.

A brother of the party killed in this affray was shot and killed by a man named Barnes, about one year ago, and it is said that the trouble, which culminated in the recent killing, resulted from the prior homicide.

Source: The Eugene City Guard (Eugene, OR) – Saturday, December 15, 1883.

Homicide at Prineville
Over at Prineville on the night of the 8th, Frank Morgan was clubbed over the head with a pistol, and then shot six times by Bud Thompson.  What fore, has not yet transpired.

Source: Heppner Weekly Gazette (Heppner, OR) – Thursday, December 20, 1883
Ware, Sarah

Died – April 12, 1884, at Bridge Creek, Crook county, Oregon, Mrs. Sarah Mariah Ware, aged 87 years.  A more [?] will appear next week.

Source: Saturday, May 3, 1884 - The Eugene City Guard (Eugene, OR)

Mrs. Sarah Mariah Ware, who died at Bridge Creek, Crook county, was born in Clark county, Kentucky, in 1805.  With her friends she moved to Missouri and settled in Howard county.  There she was married to Mr. Ware, who [with?] his bride settled in Cooper county, [where they] lived until 1832, when they started [for ?].  Her husband died on the plains, [ ?] the coast she settled in Lane county where she lived for 25 years.  A few years ago she went with her children to Bridge creek, where she has since lived.  Deceased was a life-long and consistent member of the Methodist church.  After a long life, well filled with good deeds, she has gone to her reward.

Source: Saturday, May 10, 1884 - The Eugene City Guard (Eugene, OR)
Milliorn, Zua

Died – Miss Zua Milliorn died at her home on Crooked river, on Thursday the 15th.  The body was interred yesterday in the Prineville cemetery. – Prineville News, September 17.

Source: Saturday, May 31, 1884 - The Eugene City Guard (Eugene, OR)
Donkel, Simon

S. P. Donkel Slain

Shot From Behind At His Camp Near Lava

Body was Buried and a Fire Built over It to Destroy Evidences of the Grave – Authorities Investigating the Crime.

The body of S. P. Donkel, with a bullet hole in the back of the head near the left ear, was found buried under two feet of earth at his camp on the Pelton place, 16 miles above Bend, Tuesday.  He had been missing for eight days.  A brush fire had been built of the grave to obliterate all surface marks.  It was evident that murder had been committed, and the object is supposed to have been robbery, as something like $40 that is said to have been carried in the old man’s pockets was missing from the corpse, though his silver-cased watch was left.  The coroner and sheriff have investigated the matter but have investigated the matter but have not yet come to any conclusion as to who committed the crime.

Mr. Donkel and his son, Cleveland, had been for a month of more haying on the old Pelton place, on the east side of the Deschutes 16 miles above Bend.  They had a rude camp consisting of a few boards for a roof with a place for a fire outside at one end.  A rough table stood under the roof and beside the fire was the bunk in which the son slept at night.  The father slept in the barn, a few rods away.  This place was on the opposite side of the river from the Willey residence, though an island in the river obscured the view between them.

The evidence adduced before the coroner’s jury was that the elder Donkel had been seen by a neighbor late in the afternoon of Sunday, the 12th.  Cleveland Donkel, who left Monday morning to ride for cattle says he left his father alive and well.  Beyond this statement of the boy there are no tidings of the old man after Sunday afternoon.  The boy was away all week and none of the other members of the family knew where he was, which, however, was not an unusual circumstance.  When the father had not been seen for a few days, and his horse was in the pasture and his saddle in the barn, inquiry was set on foot.  Fears that something had happened to him became more or less general Saturday and Sunday the neighbors began a serious search.  The river was dragged and wires were stretched across to intercept floating bodies.  At length the searchers were moved to make a closer examination of the place where he had been staying.

Some of the men went to the camp and poled among the ashes where the fire had been.  A beef bone was brought to light, but the searchers thought it might be a human bone and that the old man had been consumed in the fire.  They got a shovel and scraped the ashes away and in so doing disturbed the earth and uncovered freshly cut tree root.  This led them to pursue their investigations in that line and then soon found that they were digging in the loose earth of a fresh grave.  A foot and a half below the surface a man’s boot was struck.  When it became evident that the man’s foot was inside it and that the foot doubtless belonged to the corpse of S. P. Donkel, the work was dropped.  That was Tuesday morning.  Cleveland Donkel, who had been camping with his father all summer, was sent to Prineville for the sheriff and coroner and further investigation of the case was left to the authorities.

The young man rode a horse to Bend and here got a team from the livery stable to drive to Prineville, reaching that place late at night.  Wednesday Sheriff Smith, Deputy District Attorney Bell, Coroner Crook and Dr. Belknap came out from the county seat.  They got to the Pelton place in time to exhume Donkel’s body and identify it and ascertain that there was a bullet hole in the skull, accounting for the death.   The inquest was postponed until next morning.

Coroner Crook empaneled a jury composed of Messrs. Caldwell, Allen, Hamilton, Willy and William and Richard Vandervert.  This jury heard the testimony of the eldest son Isaac, who had seen the father Sunday afternoon, and the youngest son Cleveland, who had been camping with the father and said he left the old man all right Monday morning.  This, with the word of Dr. Belknap as to the necessarily fatal character of the wound, moved the jury to report that deceased came to his death from a bullet wound inflicted at some time between the 6th and 13th of September.  No attempt was made in the jury’s verdict to place responsibility for the fatal shot.

Cleveland Donkel’s testimony was to the effect that the relations between him and his father had been harmonious since the Fourth of July, when the father got some liquor and they had a quarrel.  He said he left the camp about 8 o’clock Monday morning, when his father was in his usual health and was preparing himself to go out riding for cattle.

It was supposed that the deceased has $35 to $40 in cash at the time he was slain.  No trace of this was found on the body, but a silver watch was in a pocket of the clothing, the slayer not caring to take that.  The body was heavily clothed and the outer coat was buttoned to the chin, indicating that it was cold at the time the man was shot – such conditions as might have been supposed to prevail immediately after rising in the morning.

Brush has been burned over the grave after the burial, with the apparent purpose of obliterating all surface marks.  The bed of the son, which had been near the fire, had also been burned, but the appearance of things tended to the theory that the brush fire had caught in the bed after the slayer had left rather than that the bed had been used purposely to feed the flames.

Mr. Donkel had the misfortune to be very quarrelsome when in liquor, which was not seldom, and his uncontrollable conduct has led to much family inharmony.  The son Cleveland had similar traits, which, with his habit of going constantly armed, gave him a reputation that was not good.  These circumstances, together with the disappearance of the father and son at the same time bred suspicion in the minds of neighbors that the son was responsible for the father’s death.  The bullet that killed the old man was found in his brain.  It was of .38 caliber, the same as that of the revolved habitually carried by the boy.  There was nothing conclusive in any of these circumstances, but the sheriff took the revolver into his keeping and has entered upon an investigation that he thinks will determine definitely whether the son had guilty knowledge of the father’s death.

The condition of the corpse made immediate burial imperative.  This was done yesterday afternoon at the Bend cemetery, where Mrs. Donkel was interred three months previously.

Mr. Donkel had $270 on deposit in the Prineville bank and he owned about 50 head of cattle on the range and a good team and wagon.  He was born in Pennsylvania 63 years ago, moved to Oregon in 1885, taking a home in Nehalem Valley of Columbia County.  Some three years ago he came to Crook county.

Source: The Bend Bulletin (Bend, OR) – Friday, September 18, 1903

Back to Crook County Home

Back to Crook County, Oregon home

Copyright © Genealogy Trails
All Rights Reserved with Full Rights Reserved for Original Contributor