The Borough Of Beaver, Pa In 1837-38 Directory

Reference: History Of Beaver County, Pennsylvania: And Its Centennial Celebration
Joseph Henderson Bausman
John Samuel Duss
Published: January 1904
Page 634 to 636


The Borough Of Beaver In 1837-38

It may be of interest to our readers to see an exhibit of the business and preofessional activities of the county seat two thirds of a century ago. We therefore reproduce here entire the notice of Beaver in a rare old book, viz., Harris's Pittsburgh and Western Pennsylvania Business Directory for 1837, as follows:

Beaver, the county town of Beaver County, is situated on high and elevated ground, on the right bank of the Ohio river, and about half a mile from the Beaver creek. It has the population of 1000 inhabitants. In this place are two churches and two Sabbath schools, numerously attended; also a Temperance society, pretty numerous; an Academy, in successful operation, where the ancient as well as modern languages and the higher branches of literature are taught,-L.B. Williams, Principal. It contains likewise an extensive hat manufactory, a tannery, four Smithies, ten stores, a watchmaker's shop, three saddler's shop, five shoe and three tailor shops, four public houses, and two printing offices and weekly papers. Among the residence are three clergymen, ten lawyers, four doctors, and one notary public. A bank, being a branch of the Bank of Pittsburgh, is located here, H. Stow, cashier.

DIRECTORY OF BEAVER

Merchants
James Lyons
James Allison, Jr.
John Barclay
James Eakin
Robert McCreery
Thomas Henry
Abraham Nass [Noss]
David Minis
Benj. Adams

Brewer
Joseph P. Johnston

Saddlers
Daniel [David] Marquis
John Douds
J. T. Conn

Watchmaker
M. L. Todd

Tanner
M. T. Stokes

Boot and Shoemakers
Stephen Todd
William Fields
J. French
William Conn
J. H. Kemp [Camp]
Micahel Kemp

Tailors
David Eakin, Jr.
Abraham Shelky [Shockey]
D. Hall

Carpenter and House Joiners
Jackson Slew
Abraham Sutherland
James Anderson
J. Yarley

Plasterers
Andrew and Samuel Carson

Coopers
Henry and George Streck

Blacksmiths
David Somers
C. Risinger
James Risinger
Morton & Eakins

Hatters
Shively, Allison & Wilson

Stone Masons
Morgan & Maxwell

Tallow Chandler, etc.
Daniel Eakin

Innkeepers
John Light
David Porter
Widow Moore

Physicians
Oliver and Smith Cunningham
R. B. Barker
George Allison

Attorneys at Law
James Allison
William Allison
Daniel Agnew
J. R. Shannon
William B. Clarke
N. P. Fetterman
H. Roberts
S. Meredith
Mr. Chamberlin
Mr. Jones
Thomas Cunningham

Clergymen
Presbyterian
A. O. Patterson
William Maclean
Methodist
Mr. Calender
Mr. Munroe

Justices of the Peace
William Clarke
David Bacis [Backus]
Jas. D. Eakin

Member of Congress elect
Hon. Thomas Henry

Associate Judge
Benjamin Adams

County Commissioner
James D. Eakin

Clerk for Commissioners
Richard Agnew

County Treasurer
John Barclay

Prothonotary and Clerk of Court of Quarter Sessions and Oyer and Terminer
John A. Scroggs

Register and Recorder and Clerk of Orphans' Court
Thompson M. Johnson

Editors
Argus
William Henry
Aurora
Alexander Niblow

Additional names are Eli Reed, hatter, sexton of the old graveyard, and coroner; Samuel, William, and John Gibson, tinners; John and Martin Camp, butchers; John Richardson, blacksmith. The rivermen of the town were the Stone brothers, Charles, Stephen, and Daniel; the Somers brothers, David, Milo and John; Thomas and Martin S. Lyons; Adam Shoemaker and son John; and George W. Hamilton. Milo Adams was one of the prominent physicians of the place.

As late as 1838 there was still a thick woods from the present passenger station of the Pittsburgh & Lake Erie Railway up to the corner opposite the Beaver House, and, from the old Catholic Church site, on the other side, to the corner of Third and Beavers streets, there was nothing but pasture, corn-field, and common land.

There was a daily mail, a four-horse stage-coach, which ran between Beaver and Cleveland; a daily hack to and from Pittsburg and a tri-weekly mail on horseback to New Castle, Pa., and New Lisbon, Ohio. The lastest intelligence was brought by steamboat to Stone's Point from Pittsburg in the evening. At election times there was always crowds at the landing waiting for the boat. State elections at that period was held in October, and the Presidential elections in November. In 1840 the Presidential election was so close, and the two northern counties, Potter and McKean, so difficult to be communicated with, that is was three weeks before official announcement was made that General Harrison had carried the State by 343 majority.



Beaver County Genealogy Trails Home

Back to Genealogy Trails

Back to Pennsylvania Trails History and Genealogy

Would You Like To Join Us?