Darlington County, South Carolina News

The Morning New Review (Florence, SC) October 9, 1925

Darlington, Oct 8 - Weldon Twitty, Jr., 8 year old son of Mr. and Mrs. W. F. Twitty, was killed by electrocution here this afternoon when he came in contact with live wires running through a tree.

It seems that the little boy had climbed into a tree on the side of his home on Cashua street and in some manner came into contact with the wires that run along the street and through the tree.

Weldon was a very popular little fellow and had many friends. He was an unusually bright and friendly boy. He was attending his second year of school. This untimely end to such a bright young life was one of the saddest deaths that Darlington has ever experienced.

Florence Morning News South Carolina July 13, 1945


Three persons were killed in the mid-air collision of an Eastern Airlines transport and a plane based at the Florence Army Air Field several miles from Darlington at approximately 2:45 o'clock yesterday afternoon.

Two of the three dead were military personnel in the army plane while the other, a baby, was aboard the liner which was brought down in a magnificent manner by its pilot, thus saving the lives of 17 passengers and three crew members.

Five passengers were injured and admitted to The McLeod Infirmary where the condition of only one was described as critical. MRS. A. E. WILLIAMS of New York City and Miami, Florida, was reported by hospital attaches to have been desperately injured. She received a serious head injury, a fractured arm and is suffering from shock.

Her two-year-old son was killed, having died shortly after arriving at the hospital.

The two soldiers killed were listed by Col. JAMES R. GUNN, JR., commanding officer of the Florence Army Air Field as:

Cpl. ROBERT B. CLAPP, whose wife, MRS. RUBY B. CLAPP lives at 1705 Euclid street, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma.

Cpl. RALEIGH B. ALLBAUGH, JR., whose mother, MRS. ALTA D. ALLBAUGH, lives at 3606 North Broadway street, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma.

In addition to MRS. WILLIAMS, the following are patients at the infirmary:

  • MRS. ANNIE LEE MOORE WALKER of Alexandria, Va., and Columbia

  • MR. and MRS. MAXINE SILBERG ASPARATE, Caracas, Venezuela


It was reported by an official that only one passenger, a woman, became hysterical. Most of the others were calm and collected. They all had high praise of the pilot G. D. DAVIS, who made the miraculous landing. As one person expressed it, "Pilot DAVIS was individually responsible for saving our lives."

FRANK GAY of the Eastern Airlines Columbia office and DEXTER MARTIN, state aeronautics commission director, arrived at the scene of the crash shortly after it occurred.

A relief plane arrived from Miami and carried most of the passengers to Miami late in the night. It was reported.

FRED PERRITT, of Darlington, was among the hundreds from Darlington who rushed to the scene of the accident. He said that the Army plane was near Syracuse while the airliner came to a standstill three miles away.

FRANK McKAIN of Florence was an eyewitness of the crash. He said that the impact did not cause a very loud noise.

The Public Relations office of the Florence Army Air Field issued the following statement:

"An Eastern Airlines DC-3, bound for Miami from Washington miraculously escaped destruction at 2:45 this p.m., when its senior pilot, G. D. DAVIS, of Miami, brought his crippled ship in for a safe landing after a mid-air collision with a twin-motored military craft. There were three fatalities, two of them military personnel, but except fot the masterful handling of his plane by Pilot DAVIS, it is almost certain that the 17 passengers and three crew members of the airliner would also have perished."

"Until the next of kin have been notified names of the casualties have been withheld."

"The accident occurred approximately 10 miles west of Darlington, S. C., in the community of Syracuse. From eyewitness accounts, including testimony by MR. DAVIS, and N. L. MARTINDALE co-pilot of the airliner, the two planes collided when in flight at an altitude of approximately 3,000 feet with the airlienr[sic] letting down preparatory to a landing at Columbia, South Carolina."

"MR. DAVIS said that neither he nor his co-pilot saw the bomber until just before the mid-air crash. Passengers of the plane, also, failed to see the ship. In the collision, the left engine of the airliner was torn off, and the fuselage was badly cut, just aft of the pilot's cockpit."

"Despite this damage to his plane, DAVIS maintained full flight control and brought the ship in for an emergency landing. The bomber, according to witness accounts, plunged to the earth, with only one of three occupants parachuting to safety. Although not seriously injured the one member of the bomber who parachuted was unable to be questioned this evening."

"One occupant of the airliner died some time after the accident, as a result of injuries suffered when the planes collided, but with this single exception, none of the occupants of the plane was seriously hurt."

"Col. JAMES R. GUNN, JR., Commanding Officer at Florence Army Air Field, authorized the statement that the military plane involved had taken off from the Florence base on a combat training mission. An immediate investigation by qualified officers has been initiated to determine the cause for the crash."

Passengers not hurt were listed as follows:

MRS. W. H. WALKER, Miami

MRS. JAMES BULLOWA and Baby, New York

J. LUBELLE, Henrietta, N. Y.



Lt. A. L. STURM, Norfolk, Va

W. K. GRIFFITH, Washington

MRS. WM. VANHORN, Syracuse

Lt. and MRS. A. C. ULNER, Washington


W. I. BINNING, Washington


Vernon Courier 9lamar County, AL), June 5, 1890 
At Lydie, Darlington County, SC, Saturday, two brothers, young white men, MURRAY and BEN KNOTTS, were working in the field, when an old quarrel was renewed and MURRAY shot BEN to death.  MURRAY is ready to surrender whenever called on and is not afraid of a trial. (contributed by Venetta M.)

Transcribed by HC, A Friend of Free Genealogy
January 2, 1916
The State
Special to The State

Society Hill, Dec. 24-Miss Mattie Womack of Farmville, Va. is visiting her brother  H. A. Womack.

Mrs. A. A. Gandy of Darlington is visiting Mrs. D. L. Winters.

Mr. and Mrs. L. E. Carrigan returned last night from a trip to Charleston.

Miss Sallie Hay is spending a while with her sister Mrs. W. E. Henstess.

Miss Emma Rogers entertained the Book club last Friday at her home near Society Hill.

Transcribed by HC, A Friend of Free Genealogy
January 2, 1916
The State
Special to The State

Society Hill, Jan. 1-Miss Elizabeth Carrigan is at home from Fasifern college, Hendersonville, N. C., spending the holidays. 

Rhett and Everet Winters are visiting their mother during the holiday season.

Miss Laura Lynch, who is teaching near Bethune, is visiting Mrs. B. L. Hursey.

Several of the young people of Society Hill attended the Christmas dances at Cheraw and Darlington.

Miss Swartz of Edwardsville, Ill. is visiting her sister, Mrs. Edwin Summer.

Miss Isabelle Massey of Fort Mill is with Miss Cattie Russell during the holidays.

Mr. and Mrs. Forrest White of Johnsonville are enjoying the holidays with Mr. and Mrs. A. M. Sompayrac.

Mrs. Hursey gave a card party Tuesday evening in honor of her guest, Miss Lynch. Auction bridge and rook were played and a salad course was served during the latter part of the evening. It was much enjoyed by 12 young people.

Mrs. Edwin Summer entertained the Book club in honor of her sister, Miss Swartz.

Sam Jamison of Gadsden spent a few days in his home town with his brother, Michael Jamison.

Mr. and Mrs. L. E. Carrigan gave a dinner Monday evening for a few of their friends.

Lawrence Winters gave a stag supper Wednesday evening.

Marion Carrigan  of the Presbyterian college of South Carolina and Harold Russell of the University of South Carolina are at home for holidays.

Miss Margaret Russell gave a party at her home for Miss Elizabeth Carrigan.

Mr. and Mrs. Orlando Sheppard are spending the holiday season with Mrs. Sheppard's mother, Mrs. John Rogers.

John and Harvey Rogers are at home for Christmas.

The members of the Presbyterian church were glad to have their former pastor, the Rev. T. E. Simpson, to fill the pulpit on Christmas Sunday.

Transcribed by HC, A Friend of Free Genealogy
January 2, 1916
The State
Special to The State

Darlington, Jan 1-The Darlington fireman had their annual smoker on last Wednesday evening.  A number of outsiders enjoyed their hospitality.

Miss Alice Pegues entertained at cards on Thursday evening in  honor of Miss Griggs of Danville, Va. who is the guest of Miss Mary Patton.

Mrs. William Vernon entertained seven tables of rook at a party Wednesday afternoon in honor of Mrs. Frank West of Indianapolis.  Mrs. Vernon presented the guest of honor with an embroidered guest towel.  Mrs. Jerome Pate scored highest and was presented with a boudior cap. A salad course was served, followed by fruits, cake and coffee.

Mrs. George W.  Brown entertained a merry crowd of young people Tuesday evening in honor of Mr. and Mrs. George Williamson of Florence.  Mrs. Williams was Miss Harriett Brown and was married during the fall.  A salad course followed by a sweet course, was served.

The Rev.  D.  M. Fulton entertained the members of the Presbyterian church and Sunday school of  which he is pastor, on Wednesday evening at his home.  A musical programme was very much enjoyed and an ice cream course served.

Miss Ruth Benjamin entertained 12 young girls on Tuesday afternoon.  Games were played during the afternoon and each guest was presented with a small doll souvenir.  Cake and punch were served.

Miss Emma Fulton entertained 16 young girl friends at a rook party on Thursday afternoon.  Ice cream, cake and mints were served.

Miss Flora Ervin entertained at rook on Tuesday evening.

Miss Kate McFarian had five couples to dinner on Tuesday evening.  Music was very much enjoyed during the evening.

Mr. and Mrs. W.  R.  Thompson and children of Lancaster spent the holidays with Mr. and Mrs. J.  W.  Blackwell.

Miss Ada Spain of Greenville is the guest of Mrs. J.  A.  McLeod.

Mrs. Anderson of Switzer is the guest of Mrs. J.  T.  Langston.

Mr. and Mrs. G.  G.  Small and children have returned from Charleston where they spent the holidays.

Charleston SC May 27 At Lydia, Darlington county Saturday, two brothers, young white men, Murray and Ben Knotts, were working in the field when an old quarrel was renewed and Murray shot Ben to death.  Murray is ready to surrender when called on and is not afraid of a trail. [Source: Hamilton Times, Marion County, AL, May 29, 1890 - Transcribed by Veneta McKinney]

The State, Jan. 20, 1908
Deceased was Chief of Police of Darlington and was much loved and respected
Darlington, Jan. 19 - This morning at 10 o'clock the dead body of Mr. A. E. Dargan, chief of police, was found in a room adjacent to his sleeping apartments. His death has saddened the entire community, a double sorrow being added to the deep sense of loss because of the tragic circumstances attending his death.
The body, when discovered, was on the floor, a bullet hole was in the forehead, a revolver with one empty chamber was near and death seemed to have occurred some hours before.
Mr. Dargan attended to his duties yesterday as usual, though his sister, at dinner, told him he seemed very tired and that he should take some much needed rest. As usual he was up until 12 o'clock last night and before retiring, Mr. Dargan instructed Policeman Fields to call him at 10 o'clock this morning. At this hour the dead body was discovered in an unoccupied room across the passage from Mr. Dargan's room.
Mr. H. Apelt occupies a room adjoining Mr. Dargan's and he says Mr. Dargan was with him when they went to their rooms last night. About 2 or 3 o'clock in the morning Mr. Appeit thought he heard the report of a pistol, but thought nothing of it.
The pistol found belonged to Mr. Dargan and was a Smith & Wesson 44 calibre. Although the attendant circumstances suggest that this was suicide those who know Mr. Dargan can not reconcile themselves to such an opinion. The coroner's jury at the inquest this afternoon carefully considered all the facts and the autopsy has been held by Drs. Edwards and Coggeshall. The jury announced no verdict, but adjourned to meet again Thursday in order to have full possession of all available information before announcing their conclusion.
There seems to be no real reason, at least so far as is now known, why the suicide theory should be other than a matter of conjecture. The circumstances seem, however, to indicate that Mr. Dargan took his own life, but no reason for this has yet been found. The funeral services will be held at the Baptist church tomorrow afternoon.
Mr. Dargan was a native of Darlington and was 52 years old and unmarried. For about the past 20 or 25 years he has been chief of police, a position given him practically by the entire community. His tragic death will carry sorrow wherever he was known. It is not the eulogy of one who knew and loved him to say that in this man the highest attributes of noblest manhood found their natural home. This is the literal truth. His heart was loyal, steadfast, true. Duty was the watchword with him always and to him the word fear had no meaning. His courage was splendid, making complete the cool, self controlled man, capable always of meeting any emergency of being just and fair to all. Love and sympathy lived in perfect blend in his daily life and these characteristics not only endeared him to his friends, but formed a bond between him, and those with whom he came in contact in the discharge of his official duties.
Never was there a more generous heart than was that which is now stilled forever.
He was "Rab" to his close friends and to his contemporaries; this familiar title of affection was his from the ladies of the town and this was the term affectionately used by the little children, none of these hesitating thus to call their fiend, who was never too busy to show his affection for his little friends. And of all his strikingly marked characteristics none was more all pervading none reigned with more complete away over this big hearted, strong man than did the rare gift of masculine gentleness.
Brave, strong, gentle and true, it is hard to believe that anything could have forced such a man deliberately to end his own life. Those who know him can never reconcile themselves to believe this and should this seem at last to be true still will they keep his memory in honored love and trust, saddened doubly because of the thought that any inevitable trial should have brought him face to face with such stern necessity..J. E. Norment

The State, Feb. 1, 1922
Bring Bodies Home
Services for Hartsville Soldiers Who Died in France
Hartsville, Jan. 31 - The body of Private Tallie R. Harrell, who died in France while serving witht he One Hundred and Forty first artillery, was brought to Hartsville Sat. afternoon for burial. The funeral was held in the family cemetery near Hartsville Sun. morning.
The body of Private Hoyt R. Grant, who died on pneumonia while serving in France with the quartermaster department, arrived here Sat. night for burial. Mr. Grant was the son of Mr. and Mrs. R. S. Grant of McBee, and was 23 yers of age. The body was buried with military honors Sun. at Union church near McBee, the funeral being in charge of the American Legion. Besides a widow and a child, four brothers, four sisters, and scores of friends mourn his death.

Charleston News & Courier, Sept. 23, 1875
A man named Collins died in Darlington last Friday. Whiskey killed him.
Two weeks ago a colored man named Robert Hide was shot in the head by a negro named James Wingate, in Darlington. The wound is severe.
Darlington Temperance Council. No. 10, will have a picnic on Oct. 1. Speeches will be made by Col. F. F. Warley, president, and Mr. Legrand Walker, State lecturer.
A colored child about two years old was so terribly burned in a house on Mr. Thomas J. McCutchen's place, at Carter's Crossing, Sumter County, on Sat., 11th instant, that death shortly after ensued. The child, we were informed, was left alone in the house, and when found was burned to a crisp.
On Thurs. night last, Calvin Pringle, a colored man, who is cropping with Mr. W. W. Bradford, about four miles south of Sumter, in company with one Bob Black, shot at a party in his field stealing corn. The party ran, leaving behind him a basket containing the corn he was breaking.....

The State, June 11, 1914
Maj. Lucas Closes Life Of Service
Well Known Man Dies at Society Hill
Had Reached Ripe Age
Former Gallant Confederate Officer Succumbs to Disease at Age of 83 Years.
Society Hill, June 10 - Maj. J. J. Lucas, planter and capitalist, died late last night at his handsome home here from a third stroke of paralysis. He was 83 years of age. The funeral service will be held at noon tomorrow in Trinity church and the interment will likely be made in the churchyard.
Maj. Lucas was married Nov. 21, 1861, to Carrie McIver, dau. of the Rev. David R. Williams McIver and granddaughter of Judge Samuel Wilds. Mrs. Lucas and a son, J. J. Lucas, Jr., died in Oct., 1901, within 16 days of each other. Melita Eleanor Lucas, the youngest daughter, died Jul 20, 1907. Children of Maj. Lucas who survive him are T. S. Lucas, B. B. Lucas, Mrs. Frank Wilkes, Mrs. Stewart McIver and Mrs. Donald.
Four brothers also survive Maj. Lucas. They are B. S. Lucas, M. D., of Hartsville, T. E. Lucas, M.D., of Chesterfield, Simons Lucas,  and Edward Lucas of Kershaw County.
Born In Kershaw
James Jonathan Lucas, soldier, merchant and Horticulturist, was born at Tillery's Ferry, Kershaw county, S.C., Nov. 21, 1831. His father, Benjamin Simons Lucas M.D., was an eminent physician and surgeon, noted for his intelligence, sound judgement and amiability. His mother, Melita Eleanor [Tiller] Lucas, whose ancestors were English and Welsh folk well known for their integrity and ability, strongly impressed her powerful moral character upon her son, to his lasting good. His blood was English and French Huguenot. On the paternal  side the founder of the American branch was Jonathan Lucas, who came from England to Charleston in 1785. He invented a rice mill in 1787, upon which his son, Jonathan, made improvements, which were patented in 1808. The first ancestor of the family on his father's maternal side to settle in America was Benjamin Simons, who came from France to Charleston in 1685, upon the revocation of the Edict of Nantes, and at once took an active part in the affairs of the embryo city. His grandson, Benjamin Simons, third, was a member of the Jacksonboro legislature.
He received his preparatory education in the county schools, which he attended until he was 16, when he entered the South Carolina Military academy, from which he was graduated Nov. 20, 1851. In 1904 the same institution conferred upon him the degree of B.S.
He began his business life in 1852 as clerk in his uncle's hardware store in Charleston, was the year following he engaged for himself in the same line of business, which he successfully conducted until the opening of the War Between the Sections. He represented Charleston in the house of representatives from 1858 to 1862, and was the first graduate of the military academy to attain this distinction. Among his notable achievements in the legislature were the acts. To appropriate dividends on State owned railroad stock; for deepening the entrance to Charleston harbor; for presentation of a sword to Capt. Nathan George Evens, United States army, for gallant services in Indian warfare, and for the first appropriations for the library at the citadel. But the proposal of which he was proudest failed, because other members of the legislature were not gifted with his foresight. This was the recommendation of Gen. A. M. Manigault, Col. Lewis M. Hatch and himself, members of a State commission to reform the militia laws, of a bill authorizing the formation and equipment for the field of a select militia force of 10,000 men. Opponents ridiculed? as "Lucas" standing army' bill, but before Sumter was fired on they realized how wise its adoption would have been. In Feb. 1861, while serving as aide de camp to Gov. Pickens, Maj. Lucas brought 40,000 pounds of powder from the Mt. Vernon arsenal in Alabama to Charleston without publicity. This was used for the reduction of Fort Sumter.
Great War Record.
The history of Lucas' battalion of heavy artillery, which he commanded from its organization to the end of the war [when he was the senior major in the Confederate service], is a part of the history of the notable and gallant defense of Charleston, much of which may be found in official publications.
Credit is due Maj. Lucas for the striking recognition given the enlisted man by Gen. Beauregard-the naming of Battery Tynes, adjacent to the famous Battery Pringle, in honor of First Sergt. S. A. Tynes, Company A. Lucas' battalion of artillery, who was killed during the defense of Battery Wagner. Maj. Lucas and his command participated in the capture of the gunboat Isaac Smith, in the Stono river, Jan. 1863; also in the famous continuous night and day bombardment of Fort Sumter and Batteries Wagner and Pringle. It was the failure to silence Battery Pringle, where Maj. Lucas commanded, that prevented the capture of Charleston from the rear, as Admiral Dahlgren had planned Maj. Lucas was in charge of the fortifications on the Stono river, which guarded the back door to Charleston for nearly four years-until the evacuation of that city and its defenses. With his command he joined Gen. Hardee's army in its retreat to North Carolina, where he took part in the battles of Averysboro and Bentonville, and was struck five times. One wound might have proved fatal had not the musket ball been stopped by a suspender button. As a result he was three weeks in the hospital at St. Mary's school, Raleigh. When the collapse of the Confederacy came he was at home on sick leave.
Goes to Darlington
In 1865 he moved from Charleston to Society Hill, Darlington county, where by his intelligent cultivation of grapes and wine making he formed an industrial show place. His home was one of the most refined and cultivated in the State. He was a director of the Atlantic Coast Line Railroad company, a member of the board of visitors of the South Carolina Military academy, and a trustee of the Porter Military academy. He was president of the Darlington Agricultural society for three years; was a life member of the St. Ceceila society of Charleston; a member of the Huguenot society of that city; was for seven years captain of the Palmetto Guard, Charleston, and trained that company for its brilliant career in the Confederate army. He was initiated into the Masonic Faternity in 1858. In politics he was always a democrat. In religious convictions he was an Episcopalian. He was for many years a lay reader of Trinity church in his home town and he was elected an alternate delegate from the diocese of South Carolina to the triennial convention of the American Episcopal church, which met in Richmond, October, 1907.
Hunting and shooting were long his favorite occupations, but he had done little of either for some years. Fear of being in the minority never prevented him from expressing his opinion. He never fought a duel, but in 1856 he was one of the seconds in an affair of honor in which, fortunately, no blood was spilled. He was an open advocate of the code duelin, on the ground that it elevated the tone of society.

The State, Nov. 1, 1906
Died From His Injuries
Mr. S. Thornwell Wallace, Formerly of Darlington, Fatally Hurt by Falling From His Train
Darlington, Oct. 31 - Mr. S. Thornwell Wallace, who was a native of this county and well known, was fatally injured by falling from a freight train about eight miles from Atlanta Sat. night and his body was brought here today  for interment. The young man was sitting on the front of the engine when he fell beneath the moving wheels and was badly mangled. He was taken to a hospital but died under operation while his leg was being amputated. He was about 25 years old and had already received notification of his promotion from flagman to conductor. He was held in high esteem by the railroad company. His body was accompanied as far as Columbia by the superintendent of the road. Mr. Walker was formerly in the cotton business in Darlington and is well remembered here. He is a brother of Mrs. Edna Ryan of New York and Mrs. Anna Goodson of this place, also a nephew of J. K. Parrott in this county. The Woodmen of the World took charge of the body today and the interment was made a Grove Hill cemetery.

The State, Oct. 31, 1905
Death of Miss Daisy McCall
Bright Young Woman of Darlington Died of Heart Failure
Darlington, Oct. 30 -  Miss Daisy McCall, a bright and lovely young woman, died here last night about 12 o'clock after a lingering illness of several weeks. Miss McCall had been suffering for some  time from a nervous breakdown and general debility, but the immediate cause of her death was heart failure, this being a great shock to her family and wide circle of friends. For several years Miss McCall had acted as stenographer and typewriter for the Independent Oil company, the  head offices of which were located in Darlington, and as private secretary to Mr. Robert Keith Dargan, the president of the concern. In this capacity Miss McCall won an enviable reputation for promptness, accuracy, quickness and efficiency and all of the clerks, co workers and officers of this business speak of her in the highest terms of praise, she having gained the favor and esteem of them all. She was the dau. of Mr. J. G. McCall, the oldest merchant and one of the most highly respected citizens of this place. Her mother, Mrs. Lida McCall, died just a little more than a known Dargan family of this place. Two sisters, Miss Rosa McCall and Mrs. John Burch, a brother, Mr. Louis  McCall and her father, Mr. J. G. McCall, survive her. Her friends, whom are numbered by the hundreds, will learn of her untimely death with a pang of sorrow. Miss McCall was a young lady of many personal charms, an extremely friendly disposition and had by dint of earnest work and ability already achieved success in her chosen field. This sudden death of a one fresh and vigorous in the bloom of life has caused a strange sadness to rest over the town of Darlington.

Darlington, May 19-
Wildam Ham was shot and instantly killed by Joe Taylor, about five miles from Darlington today.  They quarrelled over a horse trade and drew razors and pistols.  Taylor shot Ham, killing him instantly.  Ham's father was shot twice, but his wounds are not serious.  All the parties were negroes. [Source: The Watchman and Southron, Sumter, S.C., May 24, 1899]

The State, 20 Oct. 1907, transcribed by Vicki Bryan
Society Hill, Oct. 19 - What is more beautiful than an October wedding? Such was the thought and sentiment of all who were present at the Presbyterian church on last Tuesday afternoon to witness the double wedding. The parties to the event were: Miss Althea Livingston Hay to Mr. William Edward Heustess and Miss Margaret Constance White to Mr. James Reid McCoy.

Miss Hay is the second daughter of Mrs. Sarah Hay of Society Hill, and is quite a favorite with every one, Miss White is the youngest daughter of Mr. and Mrs. A. B. White. She has for some time been the efficient organist of the Presbyterian church, and by her sweet disposition has won a host of friends.

Mr. Heustess has for a number of years been the head clerk for the firm of W. C. Coker & Son, and, we are glad to say, will still be found at his post of duty. Mr. McCoy is a popular and promising young merchant of St. Charles.

Long before the appointed hour friends and relatives began is fill the church, which was beautifully decorated by skillful hands for the occasion, goldenrod being used in profusion, and with the many post plants and ferns, appropriately carried out the color scheme.

Promptly at 4:30 o'clock "O Promise Me" was sweetly sung by Mrs. A. M. Hursey. And then the soft strains of the wedding march filled the church, beautifully rendered by Mrs. W. A. Carrington, to which the bridal party entered the two aisles as follows. The ushers, Messrs. W. A. Carringan, W. C. Rogers, J. K. Parrott and J. R. McCall. They were followed by Mr. W. E. Heustess with his best man, Mr. Thomas H. Coker, Jr., and Mr. J. R. McCoy. Then came the little ring bearers, Margaret Russell and Constance Harris, followed by the brides with their minds of honor Misses Sallie Hay and Nita McColl. At the altar, under a beautiful arch of evergreen, they were met by Rev. T. Ellison Simpson where they were made man and wife with the beautiful ring ceremony.

The brides looked charmingly sweet, attired in the brown traveling suits, silk vests and carrying white carnations. The maids wore white silk with green glides and white huts with plumes.

Immediately after the ceremony the party marched out of the church, where they were congratulated by a host of friends, and the scene was one of supreme happiness.

Quite a number of friends and relatives from a distance attended the wedding. The presents received by both couples were many and beautiful.

The bridal couple left on the afternoon train for the exposition, after visiting which they will be at home to their many friends, Mr. and Mrs. McCoy at St. Charles and Mr. and Mrs. Heustess at Society Hill.

The State, 20 Oct. 1907, transcribed by Vicki Bryan

Darlington, Oct. 18 - Mr. Andrew Bethea of Columbia has been spending several days with his brother.

Mr. Thomas Crouch spent several days in Sumter last week.

Miss Marle Bristow will entertain the Embroidery club next Tuesday at her home on Broad street.

Mr. Ray Smith and Miss Eva Smith of Timmonsville were the guests of Misses Cora and Louise Garner Sunday, also Mrs. Charlie Smith was the guest of Mrs. J. S. Garner.

Mr. Lewis of Timmonsville spent Sunday visiting with his sister.

Mr. Tom Stokes spent Sunday in Bennettsville.

Miss Theo Gandy of Florence is spending a while with Mrs. David Smoot.

The coming winter promises to be one filled and overflowing with pleasure and happiness for both the young and the old; indeed, there will be many festival gatherings, where both the light and heavy hearts will mingle together, to surrender many fond and loved ones to those whom they love more dearly. Already two of these most happy occasions of things natural will appear in the following cards, which are just out.

"Mr. and Mrs. Wm. B. Brunson invite you to be present at the marriage of their daughter, Edna, to Mr. Maurice Mitchell DePass on the evening of Wednesday, the 30th of October at 7 o'clock, at St. Matthews Episcopal church, Darlington, South Carolina."

"Mrs. Mary L. Cargile invites you to be present at the marriage of her daughter, Mary Elizabeth, to Dr. Cephus Cole Hill on the afternoon of Wednesday, October the 23rd, 1907, at 4 o'clock, at the home of Mr. and Mrs. Alexander Collette, Uniontown, Kentucky."

Mrs. W. W. Whitcover is visiting her daughter in New York City.

Mr. and Mrs. E. E. Lunn are arranging for an extended European trip.

Mr. and Mrs. E. E. Lunn are arranging for an extended European trip.

A protracted service is in progress at the Methodist church, being conducted by Rev. P. B. Wells.

The following men are arranging for a deer hunt Friday. Mr. Willie McCown, Dr. Bahd, Dr. Will Carrington, Will Rogers, Howard Norment and others.

Miss Xina Wilson attended the wedding at Society Hill this week.

Messrs. Jim Early and Harry Keith have returned, after spending quite a while in Jamestown and New York.

Mr. Harry Wolfrom spent Monday in Florence.

Mr. J. G. Wardlow has gone to Columbia.

Miss Sue Earle returned to New York, after spending a month with her mother.

Mr. Horace Carter spent Monday and Tuesday in Charleston.

Mr. T. H. Coker of Hartsville was in town Tuesday, and from here he went to Society Hill, to attend a wedding.

Mr. Thomas Crouch spent Tuesday in Timmonsville.

Mr. John C. Blackwell left Monday for Washington and Baltimore.

Mr. J. L. Cook attended the wedding at Society Hill Tuesday.

Dr. Will Carrigan spent Tuesday in town.

Messrs. Robert MacFarlan, Tom Spain and Laurie Lawson spent today in Timmonsville.

Mr. R. F. Howle spent Thursday in Hartsville.

A great crowd attended Buffalo Bill's show in Florence Wednesday.

Dr. Marlon J. Symmes left for Columbia Tuesday to spend several days.

Mr. Carl Hewitt and Dr. Boardman Edwards went to Lydia and Hartsville Tuesday.

Mr. and Mrs. Willie Dargan and Mrs. Whit Milling went to Columbia Wednesday to hear Madame Sembrich.

The Watchman and Southron [Sumter, SC], Aug. 9, 1881
Killed by Lightning.
Four men were killed by lightning in the western part of Darlington County, on the 4th. Besides the four who were killed outright, ten others were wounded.   A correspondent of the News and Courier says:
Hartsville, S. C, August 5.-Since writing this morning I have seen Dr. B. S. Lucas, Jr., the physician who attended the men struck by lightning yesterday He says the names of the four men killed were J. M. and R. B. Moziogo, John Z. Gattin and W. R. Waters; all young married men, aged from 21 to 26, leaving small families entirely dependent on others. Waters and the two Mozingos were sitting against the tree ; Gattin was distant some five or ten feet. The following were all severely wounded, but will I probably recover; John Z. and J. R  Grantham, R. J. Hicks, John Z. Waters, G. W. Beasely, Simpson Skinner,
The others, Simon Gilbert, James McKeazie, James Moore; James Outlaw  and Hugh Segars, were slightly wounded, one man having the back of his shirt burned completely out and his clothing set in a blaze. Gilbert was sitting on his mule when struck, and was thrown to the ground by the force of the shock. Gattin was wounded in the left side, and his left foot looks as if it had been shut with buckshot, and the shoe was torn off.
Dr. Lucas reached the place of the catastrophe a few minutes after its occurrence and says the scene reminded him of .his war experience. The cries of the wounded and of the friends of the dead were heart-rending and the rooms were full of suffering ones for whom everything was being done that  was possible.
The party had been working the road and had stopped to get water at the house of Mr. J. H. Clyburn. The men were gathered around a tree waiting for some others to come up. There was no storm at the time, a cloud was coming up from the cast, but was a good way off, and the sun was shining brightly when the bolt fell. There was a tine fall of rain about an hour later, after the clouds bad gathered, There were scattered all around the tree the tools with which the men had been working the road, and these may have attracted the electricity.

Three SC Servicemen Die In Vietnam
Washington-The Defense Department identified Mon. three South Carolina servicemen killed in action in Vietnam. Army Sgt. Jack W. Messer, son of Mr. and Mrs. Marion Messer of Indman, SC, Army Spec. 4 Benjamin F. Jackson, son of Mr. and Mrs. James Jackson of Darlington, SC and Army Pfc. Randolph Scott, son of Mr. and Mrs. Carroll Scott of Anderson, SC were on the latest casualty list. [The News & Courier, Charleston, SC, March 17, 1970]

The State, June 15, 1913
Hartsville, June 14

The recital given Friday evening at the home of A.H. McCoy by Miss Prue McCoy's music class was one of the most enjoyable events of last week....
Mrs. Annie L. Erwill was hostess in the Modern Pricilla's club Thursday afternoon. This was a very enjoyable meeting. The hostess, assisted by Miss Laura Erwin, served refreshments during the afternoon.
Mrs. D.H. Roland is spending some time with her parents in Leesville, Ga.
Miss Lucille Vaughan is at home from Hollins institute for the summer.
Boyd Miller came home several days ago from Furman university for the summer vacation..
Clyde Stogner of Charleston college is at home for the summer.
J.J. Lawton spent a portion of this week in Columbia attending the University of South Carolina commencement. His son, Edgar Lawton, was among those graduating from that institution.
Miss Eunice Nettles has returned from Chester, where she has been teaching the past session.
W.G. McLeod, who graduated from Clemson college last week, has returned to his home here.
Miss Ruth Richardson is visiting friends in Savannah, Ga.

Back to Darlington County Genealogy Trails

This is a FREE web site. Make sure to visit our main Genealogy Trails History Group website at http://genealogytrails.com/
m for much more nationwide historical/genealogical data and access to our other state/county websites.