Source: History of Windsor County, Vermont by Lewis C. Aldrich and Frank R Holmes, 1891
Transcribed by Glenda Stevens
HISTORY OF THE TOWN OF POMFRET.
GEOGRAPHICALLY the town of Pomfret occupies a position in the northern part of Windsor county, being one of the second tier of towns south of the northern boundary of the county, and also in the second tier of towns west from the Connecticut River. Its boundary towns are as follows: North, is Sharon; east, is Hartford; south, is Woodstock and a very small portion of Bridgewater; and west is Barnard. The town is in latitude forty-three degrees, forty-two minutes north, and east longitude four degrees, thirty one minutes.
The general character of the land surface in Pomfret is quite hilly, the same as nearly all the other towns of the county, but there is perhaps less of what might be called mountain formations in this locality than is observable in a number of other towns. There is a gradual or general rise in the surface both from the north and south, each tending toward the central part of the town; and the ridge thus formed, extending in a rather northwest and southeast direction, divides the waters of the town, the streams in the north and northeast sections discharging into the White River, while those in the south and southwest localities find their way into the Otta Quechee River.
The town, however, receives no practical benefit from either of these large water-courses of the northern part of the county, but both touch it, the White River crossing the extreme northeast corner, while the Quechee in the same manner touches the corner farthest to the southeast. Three considerable tributaries of these streams just referred to have their main sources and course of flow in Pomfret. Of these Mountain Brook drains the southern central and southeast portions of the town, Mill Brook the northeastern part, and Broad Brook the northwestern part. The last two named are tributaries of White River, and Mountain Brook of the Quechee.
Of the several towns that comprise the county of Windsor, Pomfret was the seventh in the order of seniority, and the twenty-fourth town chartered on the New Hampshire Grants, as the region of this State was then known. Pomfret was chartered by Governor Benning Wentworth on the 8th of July, 1761, to "Isaac Dana and his associates," of whom there were sixty-seven, and embraced a tract of land seven miles long, north and south, and five and one-half miles wide, east and west, containing thirty-eight and one-half square miles, or its equivalent in acres, 24,640.
The proprietors of this town had no sooner received their charter than they at once proceeded to effect their preliminary organization with a view to an immediate allotment of its lands and such improvements as were necessary to invite early settlement and development. The first meeting of the grantees was held at Pomfret, in the State of Connecticut, (this town being named from the Connecticut town of Pomfret,) on the 7th of September, 1761, in pursuance of a warning dated July 23, 1761, and duly published in the Boston Gazette and County Morning Journal. The meeting was organized by the election of Ebenezer Williams as moderator, Isaac Dana, jr., as proprietor's clerk, Simeon Sessions as collector, Ebenezer Williams as treasurer, Ebenezer Williams, John Williams, and Isaac Dana as committee for the said proprietors. It was then resolved "to lay out 100 acres to each proprietor according to quantity and quality, as near the town plot as should be found convenient, exclusive of meadow land and mountain."
It was then voted that Amasa Sessions, William Winchester, Simeon Sessions, Isaac Dana, and Seth Paine, jr., and William Dana, in case Mr. Paine refused to act, be a committee to lay out the lots and make the division and partition above referred to; also it was voted to lay a tax of eleven shillings on each right to defray the charges of the committee. The meeting then adjourned to re-assemble at the same house, the dwelling of Zachariah Waldo, at Pomfret, Conn., on the 25th of November, 1761.
These preliminaries being thus settled, the committee chosen to make the survey and division of the town proceeded upon the performance of their duties; first running the boundary lines of the town, laying out a road through the town from north to south, and as near the center thereof as practicable, after which the town lots were surveyed, one acre in each, and then the hundred-acre lots, so called, to be improved for farming lands, with the customary reservation of lots, one for the first settled minister of the gospel, one for the society for the propagation of the gospel in foreign parts, one for the benefit of a school, and one for a glebe for the Church of England. This being done the committee and their surveyor, Theopholis Chandler, returned to Connecticut, made a map of the town and a report of their proceedings to the proprietors, all of which was approved.
This was followed by appointing the lots to the proprietors by lot, that is, placing the numbers in a hat, each number corresponding with one on the plan, and the proprietors drawing in turn until the slips became exhausted. This was the customary practice in the greater part of the towns, and a novel scheme it was, but nevertheless entirely fair. This was called the first division of the town lands. This disposition of lots laid the foundation upon which rests the present titles to the lands of the town. Subsequent divisions were made until all the lots were appropriated.
The next move on the part of the proprietors was directed toward effecting permanent settlements within their granted tract, but this was a task easier to contemplate than to execute. In order to encourage an occupation the proprietors offered a bounty of one pound, ten shillings, "to a number of the proprietors (not exceeding ten) that shall themselves, or others in their stead, first enter upon the rights, . . . and then labor three months between this time (March, 1762) and the first of November next; . . . and those of them that shall continue to labor on their rights six months shall be paid one pound, ten shillings more, when they shall have completed their labors."
But the temptations offered by these bounties do not seem to have been sufficient to effect colonization in the town. At that time this region was almost an unbroken forest, a vast wilderness of woods and mountain streams. The Indians, too, were still in the vicinity, although none are positively known to have been in the town. There were no white settlements nearer than Newbury, and settlement here at that period meant hardships, trials and sufferings that even the most courageous pioneer frontiersman would hardly undertake. At that particular period the controversy between the provinces of New York and New Hampshire was just verging upon open rupture, and there was not a single consideration that would tempt the settler to the region; and it was not until the year 1769 that a permanent settlement in the town was effected.
During these years, the period between 1761 and 1769, the proprietors of Pomfret continued their meetings, especially between 1761 and 1764, there being no records of any meetings between 1764 and 1769; and at every such gathering there was presented some proposition relative to the town that occasioned the laying of a tax against each right. This was indulged in to such an extent that many of the lot owners became discouraged, and allowed their lots to be sold rather than stand the burden of assessments made against them. But it was not wholly due to this cause that the lands were so often relinquished by their owners, for at that time it appeared to many of the proprietors that they would eventually lose their lands, and they supposed the New Hampshire charters would not stand, and that they could have no rights under them that New York would recognize or confirm. Under these circumstances they preferred that whatever investment they had already made should be lost rather than trust to the precarious title they deemed theirs to be.
In the latter part of 1769, however, the affairs of the proprietors with reference to their chartered towns began to assume more substantial form, and promised a settlement of the land in the near future. Already in that year a number of pioneers visited the locality and made some clearings and built cabins or log houses for occupancy during the next year. In December, also, in 1769, Stephen Keyes, Simeon Sessions, Matthew Bowen, William Dana, Nathan Frink, Daniel Waldo, Stephen Sabin, John Frink, Ebenezer Demming, Joanna Sessions, John Throop, Jonathan Waldo, Nehemiah Howe, Darius Sessions, John Bosworth, Amos Lyon, and Samuel Dana joined in a petition for a meeting of the proprietors, to be held in Woodstock, Conn., on the 31st of January, 1770, to consult and agree upon some method and measures for the settlement of the town of "New Pomfret."
In accordance with the petition of the meeting was "warned," and thereafter convened at the dwelling of widow Mary Childs, at Woodstock; and the proprietors then agreed, among other things, "to go on and settle said township the summer next coming; to be at the expense of clearing a convenient road to the town, and so far into and through the same as a committee shall judge to be for the best interests of the proprietors; to make a second division of hundred-acre lots, Simeon Sessions, William Dana, and Deacon David Williams being the committee to attend to its performance; also voted to tax each right two dollars and one-half for expenses and charges; also chose Nathan Frink, Matthew Bowen, and Isaac Fellows, assessors; Matthew Bowen, collector; and John Winchester Dana, treasurer.
The first permanent settlement in the town of Pomfret has been credited to the family of Bartholomew Durkee, who reached the cabins that had been built during 1769 on the 6th of March, 1770. They were followed a few days later by John Chedal and his family. But it was quite doubtful whether Bartholomew Durkee really was the first permanent white settler to locate within the borders of this town, for if the records of the proprietors are to be relied upon that distinction belonged to Andrew Powers. It appears that at a proprietors' meeting held on the 25th of December, 1770, a communication was read to the effect that Andrew Powers had made a purchase of lands from Oliver Willard, supposing at the time that they were located in the town of Woodstock, but that by the survey of the Pomfret lines Powers found himself within the town survey of Pomfret. Says this letter: "Since you have run your line between said Woodstock and your township, has taken in all my improvements and five more settlers which I have sold lots to. The measure of lands you have taken into your township of my purchase is to the amount of about 354 acres. . . . I being a man somewhat advanced in years, but through Divine goodness in sound health and body; likewise the rest of said settlers are healthy, well young men with their families; but all of us poor and (place) our whole dependence on said land for our living. . . . Now going on the third year I have worked on said lands and have got into a comfortable way to live," etc. The prayer of the letter, which was in the nature of a petition, was that the lands occupied by Powers and his grantees might be confirmed and granted them under the Pomfret proprietary. And this the general owners consented to do.
In 1773, it was found that the town had a sufficient number of inhabitants to justify a permanent local organization, independent of the meeting of the proprietors, the latter, however, being kept up until the year 1794, but for what purpose cannot be now satisfactorily explained. The first meeting of the pioneers of Pomfret was held in March, 1773, at which time officers were chosen as follows: Moderator, John Winchester Dana; clerk, John Winchester Dana; supervisor, John Winchester Dana; assessors, John Chedel and Benjamin Bugbee; collectors, Seth Hodges and Jacob Burch; overseers of the poor, John Winchester Dana and Benjamin Bugbee; commissioners of highways, John Winchester Dana, Jacob Mascroft, and Benjamin Bugbee; surveyors of highways, Darius Sessions and Abida Smith; fence viewers, Bartholomew Durkee and Jacob Mascroft; constables, Abida Smith, Benjamin Bugbee, Darius Sessions, and John Bacon. At the same time Benjamin Bugbee, Seth Hodges, and John Winchester Dana were made a "committee to look out a burying-ground" In March, 1776, in addition to the customary officers, the freeman chose a Committee of Safety, of which John Winchester Dana, Seth Hodges, and Thomas Vail were the members.
It will be seen by reference to the several officers chosen at the first election by the freemen, in 1773, that a supervisor was elected, and no selectmen; and assessors, and not listers. This was in accordance with the laws and customs of the province of New York. And it is a fact that the proprietors of Pomfret at that time recognized and inclined to the authority of that province as against the authority of New Hampshire; and it was quite often the case that the records of the early meetings of the proprietors, in alluding to this town, referred to it as "Pomfret in the province of New York." But this seems to have made no difference at that time, for the settlers were so few in number, and the town was so far from any established or popular center, that whether they acknowledged allegiance to New York or New Hampshire or some other province, such action had not the effect of attracting any considerable attention from the outside world.
In April, 1778, after Vermont had been declared an independent State, and after the plan of its government was adopted and put in operation, the male population, in order to entitle themselves to the privileges of qualified electors, were compelled to take and subscribe the freeman's oath; and those who became so qualified in Pomfret were as follows: Darius Sessions, Calvin Morse, Elijah Mason, Abida Smith, John Perrin, Captain Seth Hodges, Timothy Harding, Elijah Hoar, Zebulon Lyon, Beriah Green, Abel Perrin, Henry Ainsworth, Zenas Paddock, Nathan Chaffee, John Chedel, John Winchester Dana, John Throop, Benjamin Bugbee, Abijah Child, Benajah Child, Barnes Green, William Child, Nathaniel Throop, Ezra Drew, Resolved Sessions, Robert Perry, Peter Perrin, William Perry, Isaiah Tinkham, Benjamin Sessions, Benjamin Skinner, Jabesh Vaughn, Samuel Snow, David Caplin, John Bacon, John Doton, Frederick Ware, Marshall Mason, Captain Bartholomew Durkee, Samuel Winslow, Jeremiah Conant, Ephraim Peake, Barnabas Washburn, Elnathan Allen, Nathaniel Fraser, Abijah Child, Lemuel Peake, John Fraser, Isaac Wilson, Asa Paine, Ether Matthews, Charles Wolcott, Asa Morris, Abiel Bugbee, Enoch Leonard, William Perkins, Captain Timothy Mitchell, Oliver Hutchinson, John Pratt, Thomas Vail, William Holmes, Jonathan Dana, Increase Hewitt, Dexter Hawkins, Seth Hathaway, Isaac Dana, Captain Solomon Leonard.
During the early years of the Revolutionary war Pomfret had not acquired a sufficient number of inhabitants to take any active part in the military operations that were then being carried on west of the mountains, and in other states than Vermont; nor had the settlers then living in the town the power to furnish any quota of men for active service, as every male person able to work had all that he could do in maintaining an existence in this unimproved locality. It was only by incessant and persistent labor that the settlers were able to provide necessary family subsistence, and men could not well be spared from the weak and struggling community for army life in other parts.
But, notwithstanding their condition, the settlers were called upon to furnish men and means of subsistence for the military organizations of the State, and a number left home and entered the service. Besides this, the authorities of the town had a company of militia, which was commanded by Captain John Throop and Lieutenants Bartholomew Durkee and Thomas Vail. Upon the occasion of the burning of Royalton by the English and Indians this company was called upon to join in the pursuit of the invaders, the whole pursuing force being in command of Captain House. The burning of Royalton occurred October 16, 1780. Concerning the events of that attack and burning a published account says; "The Pomfret company contained several graduates of the Canadian war, and certainly showed soldier-like qualities by its action. Marching to Royalton on that 16th day of October, through the lonely forest with the apprehension of being ambushed at every step by an enemy of unknown force, and having their families exposed to they knew not what peril behind, could not appear exactly in the light of child's play; but they nevertheless proceeded straight to the place where the attack was made, and similar bands coming in from other towns, there were assembled at nightfall, as we read, 'several hundred resolute men.' The captain of the Pomfret company was John Throop, but he was a member of the State council which was then in session at Bennington, and the command devolved upon Lieutenant Bartholomew Durkett, the first Pomfret settler. Upon arriving at Royalton three of the company, who were footsore or otherwise unfitted for a long march, were dismissed, and at Randolph six others dropped out, the nine returning the next day to Pomfret. The remaining twenty-seven went on under command of Colonel House to Brookfield. . . . at which place they were joined by Resolved Sessions with a horseback load of provisions from home. Returning, the company reached Pomfret on the 18th."
The member of the Pomfret company were: Lieutenant Bartholomew Durkee, Lieutenant Thomas Vail, Sergeant B. Green, Sergeant E. Peake, Daniel Ainsworth, Samuel Allen, Sylvester Bugbee, John Bacon, Benajah Child, William Child, Nathan Chaffee, William S. Hutchinson, Seth Hodges, Edmond Hodges, John Jefferson, Israel Keith, Daniel Leonard, Asa Morris, Elijah Mason, Abial Morse, John Morehouse, Thomas Noonan, John Perrin, Daniel Packard, William Perry, Benjamin Sessions, Israel Sessions, Amos Throop, Ebenezer Winslow, Asa Child, Ezra Drew, Jeremy Dwyer, Robert Perry, Jedediah Perry, John Watkins, Nathaniel Washburn. The entire expense of the expedition of this company, which was paid by the State to the men, was twenty-one pounds, fourteen shillings and five pence.
As has already been stated, the town of Pomfret furnished some men, a few, who were with the army during the Revolution; and there subsequently came to live in the town other men who also had seen service during that struggle. Among the papers of the late Hosea Doton there has been found a list of names of persons, "soldiers in the War of the Revolution, who were at some (time) residents of the town of Pomfret, Vermont," as follows:
Aaron Blanchard, Jesse Bruce, Abial Bugbee, Nathaniel Carpenter, Jeremiah Conant, Isaac Dana, John Darling, John Dexter, John Dolton, Bartholomew Durkee, Daniel Fraser, Increase Hewitt, Jonathan Hoit, Adam Howard, Joshua Lazell, Enoch Leonard, John Miller, Abial Mores, Joel Perkins, Robert Perry, Jeremiah Pratt, Phineas Raymond, Nathaniel Ruggles, Christopher Smith, Samuel Snow, Benjamin Thompson, Isaiah Tinkham, Charles Wolcott, Frederick Ware, William Waters, William Whitman.
Also among the collections of historical data in the possession of Mr. Doton there has been found a list of the persons who lived in Pomfret, and who were engaged in the service during the second war with Great Britain, known as the war of 1812-1815. The record then made is headed thus: "The following are the names of those who were soldiers in the War of 1812, who at some time have been residents of the town of Pomfret." The names there referred to are: Moses Abott, Levi Allen, Warren Blanchard, Daniel Boynton, John M. Boynton, Luther Bugbee, Isaac Churchill, Colonel Daniel Dana, Elias Fales, Franklin Fales, Martin D. Follett, James Freeman, Richard Gladden, Calvin Green, Benjamin Hill, Oliver C. Leonard, Alfred Leonard, Alexander Milliken, Walter Morse, John Noonan, Sheldon Parker, Jabez Parkhurst, Marcus Peake, Ephraim Perrin, Levi Pratt, Aaron V. Smith, Lewis Smith, Samuel P. Snow, Eben Snow, Anson Snow, Cyrus Snow, Leonard Spooner, Hull Vail, Jonathan Ware, Jonathan Ware, jr., Jonathan Weeks. And appended to the data are these remarks: "Tyler Burbank was under Decatur in the war against the Algerian pirates in 1815"; and "Richard Evans, who was an inhabitant of Pomfret for a long time, was a deserter from the British army in the war of the Revolution."
In the late war, that of 1861-65, and known as the war of the Rebellion, the town of Pomfret furnished the aggregate number of one hundred and thirty-two men, of whom sixty-five were enlisted in the three years service, twenty-two for one year, twenty-eight for nine months, while eight others were in the naval service. In addition to these seven more were in the service credited to the town, but not named. Nine men were drafted and paid commutation, and one procured a substitute. A complete roll of all the volunteers enlisted in Pomfret during the war will be found in Chapter X. of this work.
Prominent among the volunteers from Pomfret is found the name of Colonel Thomas A. Seaver, the present probate judge of the county, in the Hartford district. Colonel Seaver entered the service during the early days of the war, and was commissioned captain of Company F, Third Regiment, May 24, 1861. From this he was promoted majo. August 13, 1861; lieutenant-colonel, September 27, 1862; and colonel January 15, 1863. He was mustered out of service July 27, 1864.
Edward A. Chandler was commissioned second lieutenant of Company F, Third Regiment, May 24, 1861; was promoted first lieutenant December 5, 1861; wounded severely April 17, 1862; and was mustered out of service July 27, 1864.
Charles D. Stafford enlisted as a private in Company H, Eleventh Regiment, August 8, 1862; promoted corporal June 15, 1864; company quartermaster-sergeant September 28, 1864; second lieutenant May 13, 1865; and was mustered out of service June 24, 1865.
Harvey N. Bruce was commissioned captain Company G, Sixteenth Regiment (nine months' service), September 4, 1862, and was mustered out of service August 10, 1863.
In the First Cavalry were First Lieutenant Alexander B. Chandler and Second Lieutenant Richard A. Seaver, both from Pomfret.
Church Societies. - It is an undoubted fact that the people comprising the last two or three generations of mankind have not given the same devoted care to matters pertaining to their spiritual welfare as did their ancestors of the preceding century; for while the early settlers were engaged in daily and constant struggle for the necessaries of life, they nevertheless exercised the same watchful care over their own and their children's spiritual and religious education as was bestowed upon secular pursuits. One of the earliest public improvements in Pomfret was the construction of a log meeting-house on the Chandler farm in 1774, and possibly before that year. This was a rude, primitive edifice, yet sufficient for the needs of the people of that period. In 1778 the question of building a new meeting-house by the town was presented to the freemen but the proposition was defeated. In 1880 a meeting was called "to see what the town will give Reverend Aaron Hutchinson per Sabbath to preach with them the ensuing season, and also to what method the town will come into in order to pay the sum they may be willing to give him." Subsequently Rev. Hutchinson was engaged as preacher, as will be noticed from an extract from the records, by which it was voted "to give him fifteen shillings per Sabbath that he preaches, in wheat, at six shillings per bushel."
In 1783 the society of the Congregational church was organized in the town, and during the next year the Legislature authorized the town to lay a tax upon the improved lands, also upon the "polls," as a means of providing a fund for a church edifice. But some trouble followed and it was not until several years had elapsed that another and more substantial church edifice was erected. Other societies were afterwards organized in Pomfret, known as Christians, Baptists and Methodists. The Christian Church building was erected at Pomfret Center about the year 1832 or 1833, but was burned some ten years later. In its place a union church was erected, but a lack of interest by the societies suffered the building to get out of repair, services were only held occasionally, and the property was eventually sold or transferred to the town, but is still at the service of any denomination which desires its use. The early pastors of the Congregational Society, after the primitive services of Rev. Aaron Hutchinson, were Elisha Hutchinson, Ignatius Thompson, and John Dutton.
Schools. - The first efforts in the direction of establishing a school in Pomfret were made during the year 1786, when the following petition was circulated and signed: "We, whose names are hereunto subscribed being Sensible of the Necessity of a School for the Education of our children Do hereby engage unto Each other, and unto Mrs. Betty Sessions, if she will Engage to keep a School for us at the house or shop belonging to Esq'r Dana for the Space of three Months or more to pay for her Service one Bushel of good wheat or four shillings per Week to be paid by the first Day of November next. Each Signer to pay in proportion to the Number of Schollars he Signs for and Engages to Send to Said School, Sickness Excepted.
"Pomfret, June ye 14th, 1786. And further we engage to pay Esqr Dana the Sum of three Shillings per week for the Board of a School ma'm to be paid in Wheat at five Shillings per Bushel or other Grain Equivalent to be paid by the first Day of December next to be paid in Proportion to Each Schollar he Shall Send. Elijah Mason, three (scholars); John W. Dana, three; Samuel Snow, two; Henry Ainsworth, two; Israel Keith, three; Elnathan Allen, two; Jeremy Dwyer, one; James Rouse, two; Abraham Vail, 2; Lieut. Vail, 2; Lt. Smith, 2; Simeon Sessions, 1; Jesse Smith, 1." Total, twenty-six.
The first school-house was built of logs, in the north part of the town; and as the population increased other schools were established, sometimes in dwellings until a suitable place was provided. But the town was soon divided into districts, and schools maintained in them, each district paying the expense of its school. This is the present system supporting the town's schools. In March, 1805, reports from the supervisors of six districts gave a total of 339 "polls" (meaning children) between the ages of four and eighteen years. In 1814 the reports showed a total of 598 such "polls," and 1816, 426. At present the town has eight full and four or five fractional districts.
The Pomfret Centennial. - In 1870 the people of Pomfret, and many from other towns assembled at the Center, on the 15th of June, for the celebration of the hundredth anniversary of the settlement of the town. About nine o'clock on that day the assembled multitude formed in procession at the church, and, under command of Major Ora Paul, Captain Harvey N. Bruce and Norman Paul, marched to a beautiful hillside grove, which had been prepared for the occasion. Hon. Crosby Miller was president of the day. After prayer by Rev. Hamilton, and singing by the choir, the president introduced Seth Conant, esq., who delivered an address of welcome. Following this, and interspersed with music, the following services were had: Original poem, written and read by Mrs. James K. Chamberlain; centennial address, by Rev. Elmer Hewitt, of Weymouth, Mass., but a native of Pomfret; original hymn, written by Mrs. Chamberlain, sung by the choir.
The ladies of Pomfret had prepared a bounteous collation for the guests and towns-people, to which the general attention was next directed. Four thousand people sat at the feasting tables, and still an abundance of food was left, so generous had been the contributions. After every inner want had been supplied the people returned to the grove, and the exercises resumed. Captain Bruce and Counselor Paul officiated as masters of ceremonies, and proposed toasts, which were given and responded to as follows: "The Town of Pomfret," response by Hon. Crosby Miller; "The President of the United States," response by Hon. Julius Converse; "Our Country," by W. C. Whipple; "The Judiciary of Vermont," by Hon Jas. Barrett; "Our Former Citizens," by E. S. Jackman; "The Clergy," by Rev. Moses Kidder; "The First Settlers of Pomfret," by James K. P. Chamberlain; "The Press," by Luther O. Greene; "The Ladies," by Norman Paul, esq. Adjourned to 1970.
Pomfret Representatives in Vermont General Assembly. - 1778, March, John Winchester Dana; 1778, October, John Throop; 1779, none; 1780-81, John Winchester Dana; 1782, none; 1783, Abida Smith; 1784-85, William Perry; 1786, Abida Smith; 1787-88, John Throop; 1789, Abida Smith; 1790, Beriah Greene; 1791, Abida Smith; 1792, John W. Dana; 1793-96, William Perry; 1797-98, Oliver Hutchinson; 1799-1800, William Perry; 1801-02, Jeremiah Conant; 1803-05, Joseph Perry; 1806-07, Elisha Smith; 1808, Daniel Dana; 1809, Ignatius Thompson; 1810, Daniel Dana; 1811, Ignatius Thompson; 1812-13, John Bridge; 1814-15, Ignatius Thompson; 1816-17, John Bridge; 1818-21, Dexter Hawkins; 1822, Eben Snow; 1823, Dexter Hawkins; 1824, Eben Snow; 1825-26, John Bridge; 1827-28, Isaiah Tinkham, jr.; 1829, Henry Hewett; 1830-31, Nathan Snow; 1832-33, Cyrus Snow; 1834-35, Isaac Tinkham, jr.; 1836, Otis Chamberlain; 1837-38, Henry Hewett; 1839, Otis Chamberlain; 1840-41, Ora Paul; 1842-44, Gardner Winslow; 1845, none; 1846, Robert Perry, jr.; 1847, Oliver Leonard; 1848, Martin D. Follett; 1849, Joshua Vail; 1850, Elisha Smith; 1851, Joshua Vail; 1852, William Gibson; 1853, William Gibson; 1854, none; 1855, William Gibson; 1856, Nathan Snow; 1857, Kimball Russ; 1858, Nathan Snow; 1859, Nathan Snow; 1860, Otis Chamberlain; 1861-63, Crosby Miller; 1864-65, Harvey N. Bruce; 1866-67, Ora Paul; 1868, Crosby Miller; 1869, Joseph H. Pratt; 1870-71, Joseph H. Pratt; 1872-73, John Brockway; 1874-75, Elias S. Wood; 1876-77, Homer W. Vail; 1878-79, Ora Paul; 1880-81, William H. Adams; 1882-83, Charles H. Maxham; 1884-85, Albro E. Perkins; 1886-87, Orville M. Tinkham; 1888-89, Henry Brockway.
Town Clerks. - 1773-73, John W. Dana; 1774-76, Abida Smith; 1776-89, John Throop; 1789-1806, Frederick Ware; 1806-18, John Miller; 1818, Thomas Barnes; 1818-21, John Miller; 1821-25, Eben Snow; 1825-34, David Chandler; 1834-82, Otis Chamberlain; 1882-90, Charles H. Vaughan. Mr. Vaughan is the present clerk.
It would be impossible within the compass of this work to give a genealogical sketch of each family that has been connected with the town. The remainder of this chapter is devoted to those who feel and have manifested an interest in preserving the records of their ancestors. For sketches received too late for insertion in this chapter please refer to a later chapter in this work.
Bugbee Family, The. - Edward Bugbee, the ancestor from whom all the families in Pomfret and neighboring towns in Vermont descends, emigrated from England, sailing from the port of Ipswich in the ship Francis, April 30, 1634. He was accompanied by his wife Rebecca and daughter Sarah. They landed in Boston and settled in Roxbury, Mass. Their son Joseph was born to them June 6, 1640. Edward died January 26, 1669. Joseph married Experience Pitcher of Dorchester, Mass., and had nine children, Joseph, jr., Rebecca, Edward, Samuel, Abigail, Mehitable, Jonathan, Josiah and Nathaniel. Joseph died at Woodstock, Conn., July 26, 1729. Josiah, son of Jonathan above named, married for his second wife Polycenia Arnold, of whom her descendants have the following interesting tradition. It is said that she was connected with the nobility of England, and that going abroad of a vessel about to sail for New England to bid farewell to certain of her friends, the captain suddenly and unbeknown to her weighed anchor and sailed away, refusing her appeals to be set on shore. The vessel had a long, rough voyage, was chased by pirates, came near being captured, was short of provisions, and she was made so timid by her rough experience of the seas that she never dared to return. After awhile her wardrobe was sent to her, which because of its elaborateness and richness astonished and delighted the good dames of Ashford, being so different from their home-made apparel. Samuel Bugbee, fourth child above, married Dorothy Carpenter, January 20, 1701. They had nine children, Rebecca, Samuel, Dorothy, Anne, Jesse, Joseph, James, Dorothy, second, and Experience. Jesse, fifth child of Samuel, married Experience Peake, March 14, 1733. They had eight children Lucy, Anna, Lois, Jedediah, Anna, second, Abiel, Zilpha, Abel. Jesse died in 1756, Experience died January 8, 1797, at Pomfret. Abiel, sixth child above married Hannah Harwood, Novembe 15, 1770. They had nine children, Elisha, Abiel, jr., David, Adin, Calvin, Hannah, Levina, Luther and Rufus. Abiel Bugbee, sr., was a Revolutionary soldier, was in the battle of Bunker Hill, and had a shoebuckle shot from his shoe in that engagement. He took deeds of the farms in Pomfret now owned by his descendants Adin and Herman Bugbee, June 17, 1786, and March 18, 1788, moved with his family and settled upon them. He was an eccentric character, was often employed in suits in law as a pettifogger, and often proved himself more than a match for the best legal talent in the county. The noted "Kettle" case may be cited as a specimen. David Bugbee, third above, married January 7, 1808, Rebecca Swift; studied medicine with Dr. Parkhurst of Lebanon, N. H., located and practices his profession in Pomfret and neighboring towns up to the time of his death, January 3, 1821. His wife, born February 9, 1780, died December 6, 1858. They had six children: Horace, Linnaens, Hannah, Harriet, Abel Harwood, and Abiel. All were married and raised families. Abiel, the youngest, married March 22, 1846, Amanda M. Goff, born October 28, 1821. Her grandfather, Oliver Goff, married Thankful Seekins, came from Rehoboth, Mass., in 1782, and settled in Pomfret on the place now owned and occupied by Herman Bugbee. They had ten children, of whom their son Oliver was the ninth, born in Pomfret, August 12, 1797, died January 11, 1890, aged ninety-two years and five months. He was a man universally respected. His wife was Philena Walden, born, October 14, 1801, died July 31, 1874. Abel Bugbee owns and carries on the farm in Pomfret known as the "John Culver place." Oliver G. Bugbee, only son of Abiel and Amanda M., was born in Pomfret, May 17, 1851, educated in the common schools and Plymouth and South Woodstock Academies. He married, January 22, 1883, Mrs. R. C. McAllister, born in Weston, Vt., November 8, 1850, died March 29, 1886. June 1, 1890, he married Lucia A. Bruce, of Braintree, Vt., born May 20, 1859. Oliver G. in the main has followed farming. He served as justice of the peace six years, and notary public ten years. Rufus Bugbee, youngest child of Abiel and Hannah, born May 12, 1792, lived and died on the place where hs son Herman now resides. He died September 30, 1871; his wife Eliza, born September 16, 1795, died September 1, 1874. He was captain of militia, justice of the peace, selectman, and a steward of the Methodist Episcopal Church many years. His children were Willis, Aurilla, Austin, Edwin, Justin and Herman. Willis, born January 8, 1819, was twice married, first to Celia Culver, second to Harriet N. Stafford. He had one child by the first wife, Elmer W., living in Montpelier. Willis died February 24, 1884. Aurilla, born March 28, 1821, was the wife of Dexter Burke. They had six children, four of them married. Aurilla died in Sharon, Vt., September 25, 1859. Austin, born September 1, 1824, married, first, Betsey A. Stewart, second, Carrie M. Foster. He had three children by the first, and two by the second wife. He is a farmer living in Sharon, Vt., Edwin, born October 22, 1826, married Jane Walcott. They have but one child living, Mary E., born September 27, 1868. Edwin is a merchant living in Mound City, Campbell county, South Dakota. Justin Bugbee, born April 15, 1829, married January 2, 1862, Abbie M., daughter of Nathan B. and Lorenza (Woodward) Dana, born in Pomfret, August 17, 1832. She is a descendant in the fourth generation from General Israel Putnam, whose daughter Hannah was the wife of John Winchester Dana, many of whose descendants are still residents of Pomfret. Her father died in Reading, Vt., September 30, 1871. Her mother is living with her son Nathan B. Dana, in Delaware county, Pa. Though by trade a carpenter, Justin Bugbee has divided his time between his trade and teaching, having taught in Pomfret and neighboring towns twenty-nine winters. Children of Justin and Abbie M. Bugbee are Dana J., born November 23, 1862, was graduated from the Agricultural Department of Dartmouth College in 1882, now a teacher in the public schools of Boston; Tracy S., born February 21, 1864, died December 15, 1864; Perley R., born November 6, 1865, graduated from the Chandler Scientific Department at Dartmouth, June 26, 1890; Nathan Penn, born April 12, 1867; Jay D., born Aug. 4, 1868, died Feb. 1, 1891; Eva A., born Dec. 10, 1869, died Aug. 2, 1870; T. Dwight, born March 30, 1871; Locke H., born Jan. 11, 1874; and Coy M., born September 19, 1875. Herman Bugbee, born November 21, 1834, married December 31, 1867, Eunie E. Stinson of Topsham, Me., born November 7, 1838, died July 26, 1887. They had a son, Earle R., born in Boston, Mass., January 22, 1870, died July 19, 1870. Herman owns and occupies the "Bugbee" homestead, which came into his possession in 1872. With the exception of twelve years passed in Boston and other cities, in the employ of Sampson, Davenport & Co., publishers, he has lived on the place of his birth. He has devoted much time to music, and has taught it many winters in Pomfret and adjoining towns. He is now (1890) one of the selectmen of the town and town representative, and ranks high among Pomfret's successful farmers. The descendants of Abiel Bugbee, sr., celebrated the hundredth anniversary of his settlement in this town August 22, 1888. Over one hundred of his kindred participated in the exercises, which were held under a tent erected for the occasion upon the spot where he built his house and spent his days. The day will be long remembered by all who participated in the exercises, which were closed by planting a pine tree upon the spot of ground he had selected for his burial.
Gilbert, Jacob, was born in Calais, Washington county, Vt., March 29, 1809. He was the fourth in a family of thirteen children of Martin and Ruth (Reynolds) Gilbert, Jacob Gilbert, his grandfather, born in Massachusetts, moved from New Braintree, and settled in Woodstock, Vt., on the place now owned by Horatio Atwood. He married, first, Sarah Dean, and had children by her as follows: Daniel, Martin, Jacob, Jonathan, Edna and Polly. He married, second, Abigail Mayo, and by this union had children as follows: Abigail, Sally, Mary, Clarissa and Benjamin Dexter. Jacob Gilbert and his wives died in Woodstock, and are buried in the cemetery near the English Mills. Martin Gilbert the second son by the first marriage, was born in New Braintree, September 5, 1781. He was fourteen years old when his father moved to Vermont. He married Ruth, daughter of Jonathan and Elizabeth (Strong) Reynolds, born August 18, 1885. She was the grandchild of Samuel Reynolds, who married, February 26, 1756, Ruth Monsel, and died October 24, 1763. Martin Gilbert, after his marriage, lived with his father-in-law, Jonathan Reynolds, in Pomfret, about one year, then moved to Calais, where he lived six years, then returned to the old place in Pomfret, and upon the death of Mr. Reynolds the place became the property of his wife, and here he lived until the time of his death, which occurred September 18, 1842, occasioned by a fall from a wagon. His wife survived him many years. She died at the homestead April 5, 1874. Their children were Esther, Jonathan R., Betsey, Jacob, Elizabeth S., Volucia, William D., Samuel R., Charles, Joseph, Silas, Joseph L., and Jasper H. Jacob Gilbert, since he was four years of age, has lived in Pomfret, at the homestead, and since 1843 in the house built by himself near the homestead, where he still resides. He married, January 14, 1839, Sylvia, daughter of Elisha and Patty (Gilbert) Benson. Their children are Edwin A., Ruth A., and Lucian Edmund. Lucian E. carries on the home farm. Jacob Gilbert has been a life-long farmer. He is a Republican in politics, has served his town as assessor and lister. Though past four-score years he is well preserved in mind and body. In 1887 he had the misfortune to lose his left eye. He has been a member of the Christian Church, Woodstock, for sixty years. Samuel R. Gilbert married, November 26, 1846, Man'ana R., daughter of Barnabas and Hannah (Shaw) Thompson. Mrs. Gilbert was born in Bridgewater, June 8, 1823. Her father was brother of Professor Zadock Thompson, author of Thompson's Gazetteer of Vermont. Her mother was a daughter of Benoni and Hannah (Winslow) Shaw. The children of Samjuel R. and Mandana R. Gilbert are Delia M., Eugene S., Mary J., Henry H., who lives with his parents, Nellie E., and Willie B. Mr. Gilbert was born in the house where he has always lived. He owns and carries on the homestead farm. He has served as justice of the peace, was executor of his father's and administrator of Jonathan Gilbert's estates. No man commands more universally the respect of their townsmen and neighbors than do Jacob and Samuel Gilbert.
Goodard, Aaron (deacon), was born October 28, 1771, and having lost both of his parents, was brought up by an uncle. He came from Swanzey, N. H., to Reading at an early day. He married Elizabeth Howe, and they had the following family: Eunice (deceased), married Sewall Fullam, jr.; Arnold Candace (deceased), married Benoni Buck; Hiram, died in Reading; Jubal, died single in Reading; Cynthia (deceased) married Allen Spaulding; Laura, died at eighteen years of age; Aaron Winchester, resides in Reading. Aaron died September 27, 1856. Arnold (son of Aaron) was born in Reading, April 5, 1798, and married Sarah Rice. They had but one child, Mrs. Sarah A. Hager, of Proctorsville, Vt. Arnold died June 12, 1869.
Maxham, Henry Olin, was born in Woodstock, Vt., February 4, 1828. His parents were Chester and Rosalinda (Darling) Raymond. His mother died a day or two after his birth, and he was adopted by Nehemiah B. Maxham, brought up by him and received his name. He lived with his family until he reached his majority. They lived four years in Barnard, and the rest of the time in the town of Pomfret. He learned the carpenter's trade of his adopted father, and has followed it as his chief occupation. He married, January 19, 1851, Adelaide D., daughter of Isaac and Hannah (Corner) Jillson, who was born in Williamstown, Orange county, Vt., December 2, 1833. In 1853 Mr. Maxham purchased, in the southwest part of Pomfret, the Bridge Farm, so called, and built all the buildings now on the place, and has carried on the farm ever since, though he has devoted eight to ten months every year to his trade. He has superintended the erection of many of the best business blocks and private residences to be found in Windsor county. Notable among them is the business block of South Royalton, one of the first in the State, three of the best business blocks of Bethel, and the Jones Bank and Fairbanks blocks at Woodstock, and numerous other buildings. In politics Mr. Maxham is a Republican, but has been too busy a man in his business as a builder and farmer to desire or seek public office. Mr. and Mrs. Maxham have children has follows: Hattie A., born January 12, 1852, married George F. Green, January 10, 1870, a farmer living in Bridgewater, and have had three children, Laura Bell, Floyd F. (deceased), and Floy A.; Clara H., born August 27, 1853, married, December 25, 1870, Benjamin F. Ashley, a stonemason living in Woodstock, and died April 24, 1890; Mary A., born February 14, 1855, married, October 6, 1879, Charles H. Perry, a farmer in Pomfret, had one child, Gend Adalaide, and died July 19, 1889; Frances H., born June 17, 1857, married, January 1, 1878, Albert F. Hart, a farmer living in Quechee; George H., born July 4, 1860, married, May 4, 1886, Evie Berk, and they have one child, George Ernest; Herbert O., born April 22, 1862, graduated from Tufts College in 1889, is postmaster at Tufts College, Massachusetts, is studying for the ministry, and married, June 22, 1889, Elizabeth F. Faulkner; Charles J., born August 25, 1865, married, March 15, 1887, Eulalia M. Perry, and their children were Turner P., Verne F. (deceased), and Arthur E.; Flora Belle, born July 16, 1867, married, December 25, 1889, Mark O. Boynton, a farmer in Pomfret, and they have one son; Mark, born June 15, 1871, and Mervill; born June 8, 1878, are both living at home.
Melendy, William, the supposed progenitor of all who bear the name in America, came from England about 1701, settling in Charlestown, Mass. He married Sarah Standish. Their children were William, William, 2d, John, Thomas, Richard and Sarah. John, his third son, born in Charlestown, October 11, 1705, married Rebecca Lampson, of Reading, Mass., in 1727. They settled in Medford, Mass. Their children were John, William, James, Thomas, John, 2d, and Ebenezer. John Melendy enlisted as a soldier in the War of the Revolution, from Sutton, Mass, in 1775. He was in Lieutenant Carrick's company at the battle of Bunker Hill; was detailed from his company to serve as a personal attendant upon General Washington, when the latter had his headquarters at Cambridge. He was with the Continental Army in Rhode Island, also at Claverack, N. Y. About the year 1777 he married Sarah Esty, of Sutton, Mass., whose grandfather, on her father's side, was a Hancock, near kin to John Hancock, and her mother was a Davenport, near kin of Governor Carver. John and Sarah Melendy, about the year 1785, moved from Sutton to Croydon, N. H., afterwards to Grantham, and finally to Waterford, Vt., where they died; John, in 1848, aged ninety-one, and Sarah, in 1844, aged eighty-seven. Their children were: Lydia, John, Abigail, William, Betsey, Mary and Lucy, and a child that was killed by the falling of a chimney. The children named married and reared families. Otis Chamberlain, son of Abigail, who married Laban Chamberlain was for many years one of Pomfret's most prominent citizens. He was town clerk for forty-nine years, selectman, and represented the town in the State Legislature. He died in Pomfret, February 9, 1884. Israel Goodwin, who married Betsey, was elected to the Legislature of his State (Vermont), two years as representative, and two years as senator, and was also appointed side judge. Elam Marsh Goodwin, their son, of Hartland, Vt., has represented his town and district in both branches of the Vermont Legislature. Marmaduke Allen, who married Mary, was "kith and kin" of General Ethan Allen. John, the eldest son of John and Sarah Melendy, born in Sutton, Mass, November 11, 1780, married, November 23, 1809, Sarah, daughter of Captain Nathan and Sabrina (Metcalf) Clark, born in Croydon, May 2, 1792. After his marriage he settled in Croydon, and lived there until the death of his wife, December 25, 1831. The children by this union were Rachel, Harvey, Elbridge Gerry, Catharine, Alonzo, Almira Jane, Albert, David, Zelinda Clark and Sarah C. He married, second, Mrs. Betsey Martin, of Springfield, N. H. After this marriage he moved from Croydon to Grantham, N. H., where he died March 28, 1860. He was prominently identified with the anti-slavery cause, being a co-worker with William Lloyd Garrison at a time when it required rare nerve. He prophesied the near downfall of slavery, and had he lived three years longer would have lived to realize and rejoice over its fulfillment. Of his children, Rachel and Catharine died of typhoid fever; Elbridge is a retired gentleman, living in Broadhead, Wis. Alonzo was for many years superintendent of the Ogden Knitting Mills at Cohoes, N. Y., now living in Waterford, N. Y. Almira was the wife of Winslow Twitchell. She died in Cohoes. She taught school in Georgetown, D. C., during the administration of James K. Polk. Albert died in childhood. David is a farmer, living in Cornish, N. H. Zelinda is the wife of Noah Allen, farmer living in East Westmoreland, N. H. Sarah is the wife of Bela Chapin, of Claremont, N. H. She was a graduate of Kimball Union Academy, at Meriden, N. H., and for four years taught school in the Edgefield district, S. C., and was a contributor to the Lowell Casket. Harvey Melendy was born in Croydon, August 17, 1812. He passed his minority at home, receiving his education in the common school. When twenty-one years of age he engaged in the manufacture of whips and rakes in the employ of Norman McGregor, at Newport, N. H.; then at Plainfield, N. H., with Wilder & Eddy, in the same line. He then set up for himself in Hartland, Vt., the manufacture of hand and horse-rakes, and continued in the business till 1853. He then sold his factory in Hartland, and settled in Pomfret, on the "Sylvester Miller" farm, where he has been since resided. Though at first a manufacturer and then farmer, Mr. Melendy has been all his life a great reader of general literature, and has made history, theology, anatomy, and physiology subjects of special study. He married, August 28, 1836, Emily, daughter of George and Dotha (Miller) Gerry. Mrs. Melendy was born in Pomfret, February 15, 1817. Losing her mother when three years of age, she lived till her marriage with her grandmother, Esther Miller, on the place now owned and occupied by Mr. Melendy. The children of Harvey and Emily Melendy are Gustavus S., Ellen, Delavan, Erwin and Emma.
Newton, Reuben Whipple, was born in Norwich, Vt., October 5, 1835, the eldest in a family of two children of Calvin C. and Sarepta (Whipple) Newton. His first great-grandfather Newton married Mary Collons, by whom he had six children, viz.: Mollie, Avis, Anna, Isaac, Joseph and David. The latter, his great-grandfather, born in Milford, Conn., married Mary Hazen of Norwich. They had sixteen children, ten sons and six daughters, born between the years 1774 and 1799, viz.: Sheldon, Rufus, Avis, David, Truman, Andrew, Anna, Rebecca, Polly, Abner, Elizabeth, Lucy, Daniel, Enos Wood, Jasper and Solon. Truman Newton, fifth of the above, born October 1, 1779, grandfather of Reuben W., married Eunice Wilson, born August 31, 1785. Their children were Calvin C., Eunice, Orson, Daniel, Russell, Enos, Laura, Joseph T., Edward Orvis and Leonard, twins, and Sarah Lucinda. All except Russell and Leonard, who died young, were married and raised families. Calvin C. Newton, the eldest above, was twice married. First he married, October 5, 1834, Sarepta Whipple, born August 16, 1806, died November 5, 1840. The children by this union were Reuben Whipple and Elizabeth Snow. He married, second, October 2, 1843, Mary Howard Spencer, born September 18 1816. The children by this union were Maria Louisa, Carlton Spencer and Lucy Ida. They also had an adopted child, George G., who was killed in the battle of the Wilderness. In 1837 Calvin Newton moved from Vermont to Denmark, Lee county, Ia., where his wife died, and he returned to Vermont in 1842, going and returning with a private team, and after his second marriage he settled in Pomfret, near the west and central part of the town, where he died May 15, 1875. Reuben Whipple Newton lived with his father in Iowa, Norwich and Pomfret, Vt., until he was twenty-two. He then went to work for Amos Wood in Pomfret, and October 2, 1858, married his daughter, Frances, A., born January 17, 1830. Her father, born May 4, 1793, died September 3, 1865. His wife, Eunice Vail, born July 6, 1789, died August 7, 1890, aged ninety-one. Mr. Newton worked for his father-in-law until the latter died, then carried on the farm until the death of Mrs. Wood, when he became its owner, and is now carrying it on. His wife died October 12, 1884. He married, second, June 7, 1885, Mary A., daughter of Jonathan and Polly P. (Wilson) Keith, born in Enfield, N. H., June 7, 1856. Mr. Newton is a Republican in politics, and is a member of the First Congregational Church of Pomfret.
Perkins, Joel, who settled in Pomfret about the year 1799, came from West Springfield, Mass., and was a descendant in the seventh generation from John Perkins, who was born in England, came to Boston with his family in 1631, and removed to Ipswich, Mass., in 1633. The second son of John, Deacon Thomas Perkins, who was born in England in 1616, settled in Topsfield, Mass., where he engaged in farming, and lived in great esteem till his death in 1686. His eldest son, John, also lived in Topsfield, where he died in 1668, within two years after his marriage, leaving an only child, Thomas, who removed to Enfield, where he died in 1709, leaving six children. The oldest of these, also, named Thomas, left a son, John, who was born in 1723, and married Mary Bramble. John lived for a time in East Windsor, where his sixth son, Joel, was born in 1761. He afterwards removed to West Springfield, where he died, leaving a numerous family. His will is dated February 1, 1782. Joel Perkins married Eunice Fuller, of Halifax, Mass., and after living with his father for a time at West Springfield, removed to Vermont near the close of the last century. He died at Pomfret in 1841, leaving five sons, Ebenezer, John, Ansel, Nelson and Alva Chipman. Ebenezer Perkins, father of Albro E. Perkins, was born in West Springfield, Mass., August 7, 1790, married February 26, 1816, Mary C., daughter of Barnabas and Katura (Conant) Washburn. His wife's parents came from Bridgewater, and settled on Bridgewater Hill, Pomfret. Mary C. Perkins died in Pomfret, April 10, 1860. The children of Ebenezer and Mary C. Perkins were John W., Martin L., Mary A. and Albro E. Albro E. Perkins has always lived on the place of his birth. He purchased the homestead of his father in 1845. He married, September 30, 1846, Emeline, daughter of Simeon and Judith (Huse) Bacon, sister of Albert Bacon above mentioned. Mrs. Perkins was born in Vershire, Vt., January 6, 1827. For about forty years Mr. Perkins has been identified as one of Vermont's leading breeders and dealers in Merino sheep. His first transaction was the purchase of thirty-four Merino ewes of W. R. Sanford, of Orwell, Addison county, Vt. This was in 1857. In 1859 he purchased twelve Merino ewes of Edwin Hammond, of Middlebury, Vt. These were inbred with rams also purchased of Mr. Hammond, Victor Wright and Colonel E. Stowell. He has always taken great pains in the breeding of his flock, and has established a name as a successful breeder and dealer scarcely second to none in the State. His sheep have been sold in at least fourteen States of the Union. He has been by far the largest dealer in sheep in eastern Vermont. He has made several trips, connected with this traffic, to Texas, Wyoming and Nebraska. He was awarded a gold medal for "Best Flock Merino Sheep" at the Vermont State fair, 1875. He received a "Certificate of Award" from the United States Centennial Commission at the the International Exhibition at Philadelphia in 1876, "first, for the best American Merino Ram, 'Constitution,' one year old; sweepstakes for three breeding American Merino ewes; second, for three breeding ewes, American Merino, four ewes and one ram, American Merino; third, for American Merino ram, two years old." The reasons assigned in giving these awards are, high excellence in quality, uniformity, symmetry and evenness of fleece, length of staple, large constitutional development, and for being very superior specimens of the breed to which they belong. Mr. Perkins has the reputation of using a good deal of common sense in the breeding of sheep. His preference is for the "golden mean," between what are regarded "smooth" sheep and those covered with folds from the "tip of the nose to the tips of the toes." He secures, in this mode of breeding, sheep with a hardier constitution, and while not realizing as much wool to the single fleece, he makes up for this loss in wool in sheep decidedly better for the mutton market. Mr. Perkins is a Republican in politics. He was selectman six years, overseer of the poor and lister three years. He represented the town in the Legislature in 1885, and was a member of the State Board of Agriculture two years. During the War of the Rebellion he was assistant provost-marshal for Pomfret. His children are Ellen M., born December 26, 1847; Pamelia A., born August 24, 1849; Willie A., born May 8, 1852; Fred H., born November 3, 1853; Clara E., born July 28, 1856; Abbie M., born February 4, 1860; Walter E., born December 8, 181; and Frank, born July 29, 1872.
Tinkham, Nathan, great-grandfather of Orville M., was born in Halifax, Mass., April 27, 1724, died in Pomfret, Vt., October 3, 1807. He married Sarah Soule, born in Plymouth, Mass, June 15, 1726, died in Pomfret, September 25, 1807. Their youngest child, Isaiah, grandfather of Orville M., was born in Halifax, September 19, 1757, died September 29, 1842. He married Susannah Ellis, of Middleboro, Mass., who died May 12, 1844. Soon after his marriage he moved from Halifax and settled in North Pomfret, on a place held in the family many years, now owned by H. W. Colburn. The house built by him in 1793 is now occupied by Mr. Colburn. Isaiah and his wife died in Pomfret. Their children were Isaiah, Sarah, Noah, Zenas, Susannah, Ellis, Daniel, Celia and Sophia. With the exception of Isaiah, all were born in Pomfret. Isaiah married Ruth Childs. Charles Tinkham, for many years a merchant in Quechee, and still a resident there, is his son. Sarah, wife of Ephraim Brownell, moved to St Lawrence county, N. Y., where she died aged ninety-three years. All the others died in Pomfret. Noah and Zenas died in childhood. Orville M Tinkham, born in Pomfret, July 30, 1831, has always lived on the place of his birth. He was educated in the public schools of Pomfret and the West Randolph Academy. Judge Austin Adams, now judge of the Supreme Court of Iowa, was the principal. Mr. Tinkham married, May 20, 1854, Mary A., daughter of Mathias and Betsey (Joslin) Jones. Mrs. Tinkham was born in Waitsfield, Vt., January 13, 1832. Their only child, Lucia Lydia, born January 20, 1862, married December 31, 1882, Walter Harrington, farmer of Pomfret. Their children are Bessie Faith, born August 10, 1885; Angie May, born February 19, 1887; and Ellis Tinkham, born April 9, 1889. Mr. Tinkham taught in the common schools of Vermont, Massachusetts, and New Hampshire. He has taught singing-schools at different periods for thirty-five years. From 1856 to 1869 he was employed as a commercial traveler. He has served frequently as agent for publishing and other commercial houses requiring special and confidential work. In 1877 he accepted the chair of agricultural editor of the Green Mountain Freeman, published in Montpelier, which position he held for seven years. In 1869 he introduced the first thoroughbred Jersey cows that were brought to Pomfret, and has taken an active interest in the raising of Jersey stock and the sale of it in the West. He is a life member of the Vermont Dairymen's Association, its secretary six years, and president two years. In 1881-82 he was Assistant State Commissioner of Agriculture. In 1884 he was appointed State Dairy Commissioner of the World's Exposition at New Orleans. He has filled a number of town offices, and represented the town in the Legislature in 1886. Mr. Tinkham is often called upon to deliver addresses, chiefly upon dairy topics, in Vermont and other States. He is a man of commanding presence, a fluent and forcible speaker.
Vaughan, Charles H., born in Pomfret, January 23, 1840, was the only son of Oliver and Mary Ann (Henry) Vaughan. His grandfather, Caleb Vaughan, native of Massachusetts, came to Vermont and settled first in Pomfret, and afterward in Woodstock, where he died. He married a Miss Thomas. Their children were Huldah, Oliver, Mercy, Lathrop and Ansel H. Charles H. Vaughan has always lived in Pomfret. He received his education in its common and high schools. He married, December 19, 1865, Lucia, daughter of Wesley and Julia (Hewitt) Lamberton. Mrs. Vaughan was born in Pomfret, January 17, 1845. She died June 12, 1887. Her father died in Pomfret, February 22, 1875. Her mother makes her home at M. Vaughan's and at her daughter's, Mrs. Darroch. The latter was Emma Lamberton, only sister of Mrs. Vaughan, born July 14, 1846, married, January 1, 1881, Robert Darroch, born in Scotland, April 20, 1850, is a farmer living in Pomfret. They have one child, Elmer Robert, born October 1, 1885. Mr. Vaughan has followed general merchandising at the Center of Pomfret since 1873. He has been postmaster from that year to the present. He was selectman in 1878-79 and 1880 and town lister four years. He is at the present time overseer of the poor, town treasurer and town clerk. He has often been called upon to act in the settlement of estates. The children of Charles H. and Lucia Vaughan are Herman H., born September 13, 1867, died August 19, 1868; Mabel Ellen, born September 14, 1868; and Anna Hewitt, born June 6, 1870. The latter two are both graduates of the Woodstock High School.
Source: The History of Windsor County Vermont with Illustrations and Biographical Sketches of Some of Its Prominent Men and Pioneers
by Lewis Cass Aldrich and Frank R. Holmes, 1891
Notes: There are two pictures in this text - first, of Coleman Sanders, on approximate page 731; second, of Norm B?? (sorry, could not transcribe the name), on approximate page 735
Transcribed by: Glenda Stevens
Back to Vermont Trails History and Genealogy