Finding Ancestors wherever their trails led


Snohomish County
Washington

Genealogy and History




Towns in Snohomish County
 


Alderwood Manor

Andron

Arlington

"Arlington, a town in Snohomish County. When the railroad's arrival gave promise of a city there Morris G. Haller called it Haller City in 1888 in honor of his father. Two years later, Earl & McLeod, railroad contractors, purchased the townsite and changed its name to honor the memory of Lord Henry Arlington, one of the notorious 'Cabal' cabinet of Charles II., of England."
Origin of Washington Geographic Names, 1923

Barco

Bedal

Beverly Acres

Brier

Bromart

Bryant

"Bryant, a town in Snohomish County. It was probably named for the Bryant Lumber and Shingle Company, about 1892."
Origin of Washington Geographic Names, 1923

Canyon Park

Casino Corner

Cathan

Cathcart

"Cathcart, a town in Snohomish County, named in honor of Isaac Cathcart, a prominent lumberman who located there in early days."
Origin of Washington Geographic Names, 1923

Cavalero Corner

Cedar Valley

Cicero

Clearview

Darlington

Darrington

"Darrington, a town in Snohomish County. It was intended as an honor for a man named Barrington, but the first letter got mixed in conferring the name."
Origin of Washington Geographic Names, 1923

Delta Junction

Echo Lake

Edgecomb

"Edgecomb, a town in the northwestern part of Snohomish County. Carl Ostrand filed a homestead there in 1888. The next year, the Northern Pacific Railroad was built and John Edgecomb opened up a logging camp in 1890. The spur was named for him and the name has continued."
Origin of Washington Geographic Names, 1923

Edgewater

"Edgewater, a town on the Columbia River, in the southwestern part of Skamania County. The name is descriptive."
Origin of Washington Geographic Names, 1923

Edmonds

"Edmonds, a town on the shore of Puget Sound, in the southwestern part of Snohomish County. The first settlement was made there on October 10, 1866, by Pleasant H. Ewell. George Brackett visited the place in 1870 and six years later purchased land there. He built a store, began logging operations and became postmaster for the settlement. Being a great admirer of Vermont's famous Senator George Franklin Edmunds, he proposed that name for the postoffice. It was accepted but during the negotiations the spelling was slightly changed to its present form."
Origin of Washington Geographic Names, 1923

English

Esperance

Everett

"Everett, the county seat of Snohomish County, is situated on Puget Sound, at the mouth of the Snohomish River. It was first platted on August 22, 1890, as "Port Gardner" by W.J. Rucker and B.J. Rucker. Soon afterward a group of capitalists headed by Charles Colby of New York and Henry Hewitt, Jr., of Tacoma, purchased land for the projection of a large commercial enterprise.  The city was enlarged and named in honor of Everett Colby, son of one of the promoters. The pet-name of the place is "City of Smokestacks."
Origin of Washington Geographic Names, 1923

Fairmont

Firdale

Florence

"Florence, a town in Snohomish County. The site was first settled in 1864 by Harry Marshall. Twenty years later F.E. Norton became postmaster of the first postoffice there, 1884. The latter named the office, it is said, after his old sweetheart."
Origin of Washington Geographic Names, 1923

Fobes hill

Forest Glade

Fortson

Fryelands

Galena

Getchell

"Getchell, a town east of Marysville in Snohomish County, platted by L.W. Getchell about 1894, his name being given to the town."
Origin of Washington Geographic Names, 1923

Gold Bar

"Gold Bar, a town on the Skykomish River in Snohomish County. The region was named by prospectors in 1869. The town by the same name was platted on September 18, 1900, by the Gold Bar Improvement Company."
Origin of Washington Geographic Names, 1923

Grace

Granite Falls

"Granite Falls, a town in Snohomish County, named from the falls in the Stillaguamish River, where the bed of the stream and walls of the canyon are of granite. Early traders among the Indians called the place "Portage." William M. Turner and F.P. Kistner settled there in 1884 and the railroad put in its appearance in 1889. On August 4 1891, the townsite was recorded, the promoters being S.W. Holland and T.K. Robe."
Origin of Washington Geographic Names, 1923

Halford

Halterman

Harbour Point

Hartford

"Hartford, a town in the west central part of Snohomish County. The town was platted on June 23, 1891, by James V. Vanhorn and his wife Kate Vanhorn. It is the junction of the Northern Pacific Railway's Hartford & Eastern or Monte Cristo branch line."
Origin of Washington Geographic Names, 1923

Hazel

"Hazel, a town in the north-central part of Snohomish County. P.D. McMartin, pioneer, owned the land where the town is located. The name is in honor of the first child born in his family."
Origin of Washington Geographic Names, 1923

High Rock

Hyland

Index

"Index, a town in the southeastern part of Snohomish County and just north of Index Mountain. It is claimed that the mountain got its name from the sharp pinnacle at its summit, pointing upward like an index finger."
Origin of Washington Geographic Names, 1923

Intercity

Jamison Corner

John Sam Lake

Jordan

Kennard Corner

Kruse

Lake Bosworth

Lake Goodwin

Lake Ketchum

Lake Roesiger

Lake Stevens

Lakewood

Larimers Corner

Lochsly

Lowell

"Lowell, a suburb of Everett, in Snohomish County. The site was first occupied in September, 1863, by Eugene D. Smith and Otis Wilson, loggers. When a postoffice was obtained in 1871 it was named by Reuben Lowe, a native of Lowell, Massachusetts."
Origin of Washington Geographic Names, 1923

Lynnwood

Machias

"Machias, a town on the Northern Pacific Railway in the west central part of Snohomish County, named for Machias, Maine. The first settler there in 1877 was Charles Niemeyer. The town was platted and named in 1888 by L.W. Getchell, son of a shipbuilder in Machias, Maine, who was successful in California, Nevada and Washington."
Origin of Washington Geographic Names, 1923 

Maltby

Martha Lake

Marysville

"Marysville, a town in the west central part of Snohomish County. It was founded by J.P. Comeford, a native of Ireland who served in the Union army during the Civil War. While Indian Agent at Tulalip in 1872, he purchased 1280 acres of land from John Stafford, Truman Ireland, Louis Thomas and Captain Renton. In September, 1877, he began to construct a store and wharf. Among the first comers were James Johnson and Thomas Lloyd of Marysville, California, who suggested that name for the new town."
Origin of Washington Geographical Names, 1923

May Creek

McKees Beach

Meadowdale

"Meadowdale, a town in the southwestern part of Snohomish County. It was named by Robert Maltby, April 2, 1904, 'because cleaned up and into grass it would be one vast meadow.' "
Origins of Washington Geographic Names, 1923

Mill Creek

Mission Beach

Monroe

Monte Cristo

"Monte Cristo, a mining district and town in the east central part of Snohomish County. It was named in dramatic fashion on July 4, 1889, by Joseph Pearsall, a prospector who was climbing over the hills and saw evidences of minerals. Through his field glasses he saw what he believed to be a long and broad streak of galena. Waving his arms he shouted: 'It is rich as Monte Cristo!' From that hour the name was established. L.W. Getchell organized the Silver Queen Mining and Smelting Company with a capital stock of $5,000,000 and became general manager in 1890. A railroad was built between the new town of Monte Cristo and Everett. When the mining interests declined the region remained famous as a resort for fishermen, hunters and campers."
Origin of Washington Geographic Names, 1923

Mountlake Terrace

Mukilteo

Murphys Corner

Nelsons Corner

Norman

North Creek

Osborn Corner

Oso

"Oso, a town in the north central part of Snohomish County. The original name for the postoffice in 1889 was 'Allen,' an honor for John B. Allen, then Delegate to Congress and later United States Senator. Soon a town appeared in Mason County with the name of Allyn, which caused the people of 'Allen' to choose a new name."
Origin of Washington Geographic Names, 1923

Pearson Eddy

Perrinville

Pilchuck

Pinehurst

Priest Point

Rees Corner

Reiter

"Reiter, a town in the south central part of Snohomish County, named by V.v. Clark in July 1906, in honor of Charles G. Reiter of East Orange, New Jersey, who was president of Bunker Hill Mining and Smelting Company."
Origin of Washington Geographic Names, 1923

Riverside

Robe

"Robe, a town in the central part of Snohomish County, named for a pioneer settler."
Origin of Washington Geographic Names, 1923

Roosevelt

Rowan

Seattle heights

Serene

Shaker Church

Silvana

Silverton

"Silverton, a town in the central part of Snohomish County, christened on August 26, 1891, by a mass meeting of miners."
Origin of Washington Geographic Names, 1923

Sisco

"Sisco, a town in the northwestern part of Snohomish County, named for a pioneer of that name, who homesteaded land there about 1890. In 1900 the Stimson Company and the Standard Logging Company opened up camps there and Sisco came into existence. Later the camps moved to different locations and 'a shingle mill is Sisco's only lease on life.' "
Origin of Washington Geographic Names, 1923

Smokey Point

Snohomish

Sobey

Spee-Bi-Dah

Stanwood

"Stanwood, a town in the northwestern part of Snohomish County, first settled in 1866 as a trading post of Robert Fulton. Later George Kyle secured the claim and established a postoffice known as Centerville. In 1877, D.O. Pearson built a store, wharf and warehouse. He became postmaster and had the name changed to Stanwood, in honor of his wife's maiden name"
Origin of Washington Geographic Names, 1923

Startup

Stimson Crossing

Sultan

Sunny Shores

Swede Heaven

Thrashers Corner

Three Lakes

Totem Park

Trafton

Tulalip

Tulare Beach

Tulker

Turner Corner

Utsalady

Verlot

Wagner

Warm Beach

Weallup Lake

White Horse

Wintermutes Corner

Woodruff

Woods Creek

Woodway





BACK -- HOME
Visit the National Genealogy Trails Site

© Genealogy Trails